PDA

View Full Version : North Alabama could be an active member of Division I by 2017

kperk014
April 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Does that sound right? Seems like a long way down the road. We've got a pointy-head for a president so that could be a factor.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110420/SPORTS40/110419772/1164/sports?Title=UNA-continues-D-I-discussions

JSU02
April 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Does that sound right? Seems like a long way down the road. We've got a pointy-head for a president so that could be a factor.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110420/SPORTS40/110419772/1164/sports?Title=UNA-continues-D-I-discussions

Its sounds about right. Its a very long process.

Redhawk2010
April 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
SIUE is still in the process of becoming a member of the OVC. They don't have football, but most of their sports will be in the OVC. I know their softball team is considered a member now and their men's soccer is a member of the MVC, but I don't remember if the rest of their sports start conference play next school year or not? They've been transitioning for a few years now. I think it takes 5 years to move from DII to DI..

JSU02
April 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM
SIUE is still in the process of becoming a member of the OVC. They don't have football, but most of their sports will be in the OVC. I know their softball team is considered a member now and their men's soccer is a member of the MVC, but I don't remember if the rest of their sports start conference play next school year or not? They've been transitioning for a few years now. I think it takes 5 years to move from DII to DI..

Right. You get to pick one sport to "fast track" to division I, which allows them to compete as an official member a year earlier than other sports. SIUE should be a full member next year in all sports.

kperk014
April 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Right. You get to pick one sport to "fast track" to division I, which allows them to compete as an official member a year earlier than other sports. SIUE should be a full member next year in all sports.

I hope it's football for us. Some of the other sports have already been playing several D1 games or matches so that should help them in the future.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM

You mean, the basketball loophole? No other sport (except, in rare cases, ice hockey) would come close to deserving the special treatment. Football at the FCS level? It would never be used for that.

Redhawk2010
April 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
You mean, the basketball loophole? No other sport (except, in rare cases, ice hockey) would come close to deserving the special treatment. Football at the FCS level? It would never be used for that.

This is an instance of fast-tracking for one year. Not long-term like the ice hockey teams or some lacrosse teams. Softball and men's soccer were their choices to fast track. I would guess that a school could pick whatever sports they wanted. They can choose one female and one male sport..

BEAR
April 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Congrats UNA!....maybe? LOL. OVC bound? Also, can UNA afford to move to the FCS in football? I mean all the sports will be division I so that will call for a massive increase in revenue and higher costs for the program. Can UNA afford it? Is the administration COMPLETELY on board? UCA just finished their transition, as you know, and it was costly..but as you can tell from the events happening at UCA now, it was worth it. I do miss the Gulf South though.(whipping up on ATU and getting throttled by UNA..yikes. LOL) .but the Southland is amazingly fun!

WestCoastAggie
April 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
So does this mean that UNA will begin their transition during the 2012/13 FY?

FargoBison
April 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I hope it's football for us. Some of the other sports have already been playing several D1 games or matches so that should help them in the future.

Football and basketball cannot be fast tracked.

When NDSU moved up we fast tracked wrestling and volleyball, making them postseason eligible in three years instead of five.

kperk014
April 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Congrats UNA!....maybe? LOL. OVC bound? Also, can UNA afford to move to the FCS in football? I mean all the sports will be division I so that will call for a massive increase in revenue and higher costs for the program. Can UNA afford it? Is the administration COMPLETELY on board? UCA just finished their transition, as you know, and it was costly..but as you can tell from the events happening at UCA now, it was worth it. I do miss the Gulf South though.(whipping up on ATU and getting throttled by UNA..yikes. LOL) .but the Southland is amazingly fun!

We may have had the advantage in number of wins but it was usually down-to-the-wire games regardless of who won.

kperk014
April 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
So does this mean that UNA will begin their transition during the 2012/13 FY?

Looks like it will be 2013/14. It's probably because we would have to pay the GSC a penalty if we moved out without giving a 2 year notice. Doh!