PDA

View Full Version : UMass to MAC-official

mountaintop
April 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Press conference tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. at Gillette Stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
This would give Temple a school they can truly relate to in the conference. Buffalo is a kinda-sorta.

bluehenbillk
April 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Congrats to the Minutemen.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2011/04/university_of_massachusetts_fo.html

GA St. MBB Fan
April 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
So CAA football in 2013 will be:

Scenario One: Villanova stays
Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

Scenario Two: Villanova Leaves.

Maine
UNH
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

- So if 'Nova stays, does the CAA go to geographic North-South divisions? And if 'Nova leaves, does the CAA look for a replacement? Or just play a round-robin schedule like the SoCon does?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'll be very interested to see how this plays out. The CAA is really going through a face lift right now. They've lost 4 football members in the last 3 years and could be looking at a 5th if Villanova leaves. UNH and Maine are now on an island by themselves. I'll be interested to see how they respond to this whole situation. If nothing else, the CAA's presence in the NE is basically gone.

GaSouthern
April 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wow, maybe Ga State will have a chance at getting a winning record after all?

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Don't know how I feel about this.

This means that we will never get a chance to ever play for a National Championship ever again in the sport of football. Great.

I knew it was a matter of time, but I really don't like that we are going to be playing at Gillette for more than one game a season. It's an hour and a half from campus, with no traffic!!!

Not the happiest person right now.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I knew it was a matter of time, but I really don't like that we are going to be playing at Gillette for more than one game a season. It's an hour and a half from campus, with no traffic!!!

Not the happiest person right now.

What if it were the Big East instead of the MAC, and Gillette was your new, permanent home for sports?

bluehenbillk
April 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM
UNH & Maine staying?? That's a great question, but a better question is how long will they stay? That's a geographic/logistical longshot that they'd be in the CAA longterm.

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
CAA needs to make some calls to some northern schools...too southern heavy with this move and even more so if 'Nova leaves.

GA State is just going to hang out for a bit before they move up to the next level, so it is in the best interests of the conference to get more programs in that see this as a great spot and not just a stepping stone to a low level FBS conference.

I'd like to see them call Albany and Stony Brook at the least...

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
UNH & Maine staying?? That's a great question, but a better question is how long will they stay? That's a geographic/logistical longshot that they'd be in the CAA longterm.

The conference needs to do something if they want a conference with an AQ in the future. If 'Nova leaves, then UNH and Maine are forced out due to the costs involved, the conference is down to 7. GA State is not staying long term anyways, so then you have 6, and the conference is essntially nothing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Umass has the potential to get a lot out of the move if everyone's on board.

I hope Gillette is not a long term solution. McGuirk can easily be expanded to give Umass a Rentschler type stadium. Plus, Amherst is a great place to spend a fall afternoon.

henfan
April 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Watch what VCU and George Mason do in the next 10-12 months.

Best of luck to UMass. You'll be missed by this Henfan.

Redbird Ray
April 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Congrats Minutemen! You guys will compete in the MAC in no time. I could see UMass being the NIU of the MAC East. Best of luck, can't wait to see some big games from Gillette on ESPNU (probably on a Wednesday)!

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
What if it were the Big East instead of the MAC, and Gillette was your new, permanent home for sports?

Well that would obviously be a better scenario, but I still think playing games in Amherst is the way to go. Yes we need a stadium renovation at McGuirk, but an hour and a half away is just too far for our home games. Our students won't travel that far, and in my opinion the student presence in college football is one of the most important aspects of the game.

Maybe if it was 30 minutes like UConn with their games in Hartford, but I just don't like the idea of us playing half of our home games at Gillette. That stadium is going to look embarrassingly empty with 15,000 fans in it.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Congrats Minutemen! I could see UMass being the NIU of the MAC East.

No comment. xlolx

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Am I going to get kicked off this site now and be forced to join a MAC fan forum where I will get yelled at by people from Michigan and Ohio?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Am I going to get kicked off this site now and be forced to join a MAC fan forum where I will get yelled at by people from Michigan and Ohio?

Welcome! I've been on the MAC board for about 3 years. Temple has long been the whipping boy because of our football only status. I have a feeling Umass will now take the reigns! Fear the crew from Directional Michigan, they're an ornery bunch.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=472

Saint3333
April 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
ASU to a new southern trending CAA, any takers?

Congrats to UMass you guys got the good end of that deal, I didn't know football only was an option.

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Watch what VCU and George Mason do in the next 10-12 months.

With those two schools, I wouldn't expect anything in 12 months.

Interessting to contemplate what an aggressive PL leadership "could" be doing right now--offering UNH and Maine a seat in 2013 with scholarships (and thus securing two more yes votes), signing up Fordham to a long term deal, albeit giving Georgetown the high sign and wishing them well in future endeavors as an independent, but securing a compact eight team league that would own I-AA football in the Northeast.

But since that upsets the Ivy brethren in the other room, that wouldn't be "sporting" now, would it?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Interesting to contemplate what an aggressive PL leadership "could" be doing right now--offering UNH and Maine a seat in 2013 with scholarships (and thus securing two more yes votes), signing up Fordham to a long term deal, albeit giving Georgetown the high sign and wishing them well in future endeavors as an independent, but securing a compact eight team league that would own I-AA football in the Northeast.

But since that upsets the Ivy brethren in the other room, that wouldn't be "sporting" now, would it?

You forgot the TV deal with CBS College Sports to get a "Patriot League Game of the Week" into living rooms across the Northeast, but aside from that, I agree with you.

Incidentally, I think the PL presidents are still deciding at this moment the number required for a quorum.

superman7515
April 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Incidentally, I think the PL presidents are still deciding at this moment the number required for a quorum.

Unfortunately, because they're not sure, they aren't positive they can vote on it and may table the issue for a few years to see if it resolves itself.

darell1976
April 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM
UMASS good luck in the FBS!!!xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The PL could nail down ownership of FCS football in the Northeast by adding both scholarships and UNH and Maine. It makes too much sense. They're both great schools!!! Let 'em in!

Look at the geographical footprint the league would have. It doesn't get any more Patriot than that!

Apphole
April 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
See ya there

Apphole
April 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Congrats to UMass you guys got the good end of that deal, I didn't know football only was an option.

I'd like that for basketball, but a football move to CAA would do nothing for us. It would be just as lateral a move as one to the Sunbelt. When UCF get the BE call, we will be getting the C USA call. Now that's a group if like minded Universities.

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM

"Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. "

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Aren't you guys just going to move up soon too?

henfan
April 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Interessting to contemplate what an aggressive PL leadership "could" be doing right now--offering UNH and Maine a seat in 2013 with scholarships (and thus securing two more yes votes)...

You do realize UMaine's typical low graduation rate for FB players? That would indeed be an interesting compromise for the PL to make.

bostonspider
April 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
More likely I could see ODU, JMU and GSU heading to FBS, UNH and UMaine joining the NEC and then UR, VU (if they still have FCS football) and W&M making the move to a scholarship PL for football. Not sure where Towson and UD would fit in. Either UD makes the move with ODU, JMU and GSU to FBS or I could see them joining in with the privates in the PL for football.

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2011, 01:51 PM
More likely I could see ODU, JMU and GSU heading to FBS, UNH and UMaine joining the NEC and then UR, VU (if they still have FCS football) and W&M making the move to a scholarship PL for football. Not sure where Towson and UD would fit in. Either UD makes the move with ODU, JMU and GSU to FBS or I could see them joining in with the privates in the PL for football.

So you see a complete collapse of the CAA? Do you think they care that little about the sport?

bostonspider
April 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
So you see a complete collapse of the CAA? Do you think they care that little about the sport? I just do not see much consensus as to what level of football will be played and what each universities financial committment to football is. JMU is not spending $62 Million dollars to keep playing the Spiders and Tribe..

Cocky
April 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
FCS is becoming the old DII of the 70s and 80s with everybody leaving for FBS this time instead of I-AA.

Saint3333
April 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Only if there is somewhere to go.

If a spot isn't at the FBS level I'd rather move to a more southern based CAA to improve basketball. ASU would have more in common with JMU, Delaware, ODU and VCU, George Mason, and UNCW for basketball than they currently do with members on the SoCon.

Waco Kid
April 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM

If ASU and GSU leave the SoCon Richmond and W&M could go back to the SoCon which would be made up of schools similar to them.

bostonspider
April 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I would love a football conference with all the major private (+W&M) liberal arts FCS schools.

North
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell

South
Georgetown
Richmond
William & Mary
Davidson
Furman
Wofford

8 conference games, 5 in division and 3 games against the other division.

If Davidson / Georgetown would not step their programs up, maybe schools like Elon, Presbyterian or Samford would fit in (though w/o the same name recognition).

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
You do realize UMaine's typical low graduation rate for FB players? That would indeed be an interesting compromise for the PL to make.

The Patriot League take on expansion: No one is quite good enough, therefore, no one is applying.

The reality: The Academic Index is anathema to any schools beyond the Ivies, therefore, no one is applying.

Wildcat80
April 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

Maine
UNH
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

- So if 'Nova stays, does the CAA go to geographic North-South divisions? And if 'Nova leaves, does the CAA look for a replacement? Or just play a round-robin schedule like the SoCon does?

Would not Stony Brook, Fordham, or CCSU want to replace them?

Wildcat80
April 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hopefully the Colonial Clash at Gillette remains on the schedule....with UMass! If not...Holy Cross or URI would fill in nicely too.

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hopefully the Colonial Clash at Gillette remains on the schedule....with UMass! If not...Holy Cross or URI would fill in nicely too.

Do you think they would still consider it the Colonial Clash when its considered UMASS's home field? Or will it be just an FCS team playing up?

Either way, UNH will win :)

Sly Fox
April 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Congrats to the Minutemen for seizing the opportunity to gain FBS membership. Now the clock starts on how quickly they can get out of the MAC to better league. This is a pattern I am fine having my alma mater follow.

Jackman
April 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
This year's UNH game is definitely still on. Expect a heavy amount of pro-UMass promotion though. The Krafts now have a financial stake in UMass, and will want to build towards the 2012 slate of games.

NHwildEcat
April 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM
This year's UNH game is definitely still on. Expect a heavy amount of pro-UMass promotion though. The Krafts now have a financial stake in UMass, and will want to build towards the 2012 slate of games.

Makes me wonder that when the schools and Gillette signed the deal for the 2 games if there was acknolwdgement that UNH could have the first home game, then UMASS. Even if not, it works out well for UMASS since it will be their first actual home game at Gillette.

I still think that the UMASS program is better off expanding their on campus digs because if they want any sort of student respresentation at their "home" games they are going to need to be closer to campus. Its silly to call a place that far from campus "home". It is almost like a road game.

I hope in the next few years they line up a game with BC, and when that happens kick the crap out of them. I plan to show UMASS some support as they move up...definetely my preference when compared to that of BC & UCONN.

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Makes me wonder that when the schools and Gillette signed the deal for the 2 games if there was acknolwdgement that UNH could have the first home game, then UMASS. Even if not, it works out well for UMASS since it will be their first actual home game at Gillette.

I still think that the UMASS program is better off expanding their on campus digs because if they want any sort of student respresentation at their "home" games they are going to need to be closer to campus. Its silly to call a place that far from campus "home". It is almost like a road game.

I hope in the next few years they line up a game with BC, and when that happens kick the crap out of them. I plan to show UMASS some support as they move up...definetely my preference when compared to that of BC & UCONN.

I definitely agree. UMass needs to completely renovate McGuirk stadium and make it the full time home. We could easily make it a 25,000 seat stadium over the next two years and have it ready for full MAC membership.

If they don't the football program is going to look silly with no student support. Even now the students all leave at halftime.

Wildcat80
April 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Congrats to UMass on the move! The one constant is change and UNH has been through it before...Yankee...A10...CAA.....what's next? So long as the school is committed to support the program UNH will find a home. CAA North? Patriot? NEC? heck even a Big South-North is possible! Hopefully we still get to play & beat UMass....and they pay us more for the pleasure!

bkrownd
April 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Very sad :(

I posted a long-winded piece slamming the MAC idea in 1995 on rec.sports.football.college. I thought we were safe from that for many years. http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.football.college/browse_thread/thread/e8daa3d97653a4f3/f8659adca5e2adc4?lnk=gst&q=umass+mac#f8659adca5e2adc4

GA St. MBB Fan
April 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Maine
UNH
Villanova
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

Maine
UNH
Delaware
Towson
William & Mary
JMU
ODU
Richmond
GA State

Would not Stony Brook, Fordham, or CCSU want to replace them?

I'm sure they would. But if Villanova leaves I don't see why the CAA should invite any associate members to replace them. I say stay at 9, play the round robin schedule like the SoCon does, and see what VCU, GMU, or one of the other CAA basketball schools do.

If the deadline for VCU, GMU, or one of the other CAA basketball schools to be guaranteed admission to the football league comes and goes, then maybe the CAA looks at some associate members.

Of course I say this from a "strategic planning" point of view.

As a Georgia State fan, I would love for the CAA to add a football school between Atlanta and Norfolk.

Franks Tanks
April 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I would love a football conference with all the major private (+W&M) liberal arts FCS schools.

North
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell

South
Georgetown
Richmond
William & Mary
Davidson
Furman
Wofford

8 conference games, 5 in division and 3 games against the other division.

If Davidson / Georgetown would not step their programs up, maybe schools like Elon, Presbyterian or Samford would fit in (though w/o the same name recognition).

I would love that, but it makes to much sense.

bostonspider
April 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I definitely agree. UMass needs to completely renovate McGuirk stadium and make it the full time home. We could easily make it a 25,000 seat stadium over the next two years and have it ready for full MAC membership.

If they don't the football program is going to look silly with no student support. Even now the students all leave at halftime.

Maybe this old design from the late 90's will be back on the table..

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_5_AgSN3DVvw/SFpsh6vW1FI/AAAAAAAABZo/ohjfn1TJTlQ/s800/UMass%20Stadium%20rendering%20150%20dpi.jpg

Go...gate
April 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
The PL could nail down ownership of FCS football in the Northeast by adding both scholarships and UNH and Maine. It makes too much sense. They're both great schools!!! Let 'em in!

Look at the geographical footprint the league would have. It doesn't get any more Patriot than that!

Maybe Albany, too.

Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
(Georgetown?)
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh
Maine
New Hampshire

Sounds awfully sensible to me.

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe this old design from the late 90's will be back on the table..

Wow, that's actually the first time I have ever seen that. That looks perfect to me.

Tim James
April 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
So out of all the FBS teams, UMass will be the one thats playing farthest from its campus. Thats not something to be proud of IMO.

T-Dog
April 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Looking over the UMass fans' posts, some of them are "finally glad to able to support a DI team."

Sadly, this will also happen when App St moves up. Yes, WHEN App St moves up. I think it's just a formality now.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Do you think they would still consider it the Colonial Clash when its considered UMASS's home field? Or will it be just an FCS team playing up?

Either way, UNH will win :)

Yeah, I wouldn't really care, but it could still be the Colonial Clash even if UMass was always the home team. Realistically, UMass will probably continue to play an FCS team and how many would draw more to Gillette than UNH? Of course, UMass would have to pay as much as UNH would get with other FBS games or UNH would have to play two FBS games. I could see some years where maybe UMass played say Delaware and had a doubleheader with UNH playing Maine, Rhody or even Holy Cross.

Personally, I'd like the combo because I've really enjoyed going to the FBS games at Rutgers, Northwestern, Army, Ball State and Pittsburgh.

AppMan
April 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM
And so it begins.....

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Maybe Albany, too.

Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
(Georgetown?)
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh
Maine
New Hampshire

Sounds awfully sensible to me.

Get Albany up to counter status and negotiate an academic standard that all the schools can agree upon and you could make it work. The current AI used by the Patriot won't get Fordham, Albany, UNH nor Maine onboard IMHO.

If for whatever reason UNH can't continue in the CAA, this option would be much better for UNH than the NEC, joining Stony Brook in the Big South or cutting the program. xnodx

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Get Albany up to counter status and negotiate an academic standard that all the schools can agree upon and you could make it work. The current AI used by the Patriot won't get Fordham, Albany, UNH nor Maine onboard IMHO.

Proposed: Recruits are in the top 25% of their high school class to qualify.

T-Dog
April 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6390279

The Minutemen would become the 15th member of the MAC, joining Buffalo and Temple as the only eastern schools in the conference.

UMass has played in three national championships as a FCS school, winning the title in 2006.

xliarx

Go...gate
April 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Makes sense to me.

bkrownd
April 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I wonder what the side-effects of this will be? Will the baseball program get the axe? Will lacrosse remain in the CAA? How many years will football leave campus? Will it ever return?

Honestly, I lived in Amherst for 9 years and made just 5-6 daytrips East of Hampshire County - almost all to Cambridge. I would NEVER have gone to a game at Gillette while I lived in Hampshire County. I would have been at Lord Jeffs games on Saturdays.

ccd494
April 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM

You guys have fun. I don't see Maine enacting standards for recruiting football players that are more stringent than for the student body at large.

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6390279

xliarx

Wow that is a horrible article. The writing sucks and they got nothing right. They are not going to play all of their home games at Gillette.

I mean, that's not what I heard anyways.

appstate38
April 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Honestly... I hope not! Good luck to you guys...

MAC football does not seem that exciting. Just saying.

EmeryZach
April 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Guess I was wrong.

This article is saying that UMass will play all of their conference games at Gillette. http://www.gazettenet.com/2011/04/20/umass-join-mid-american-conference-upgrade-football-bowl-subdivi

That is a horrible idea. Who is going to Gillette on a Wednesday night in November to see UMass play Bowling Green?

Luckily the article also says that UMass will begin fund raising for renovations to McGuirk. So hopefully that means that they will eventually move the games back to campus.

I really hope they are back in McGuirk sooner rather than later. Driving 100 miles to Gillette from Amherst for every game is crazy!! Rentschler Field is closer than Gillette!!

Very frustrating. I hope I'm wrong but I think we are going to see a very empty Gillette for MAC conference games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM
There's no way Umass can play at Gillette long term. I don't see how you can build any sort of alumni support when current students are basically exiled from home games.

Dane96
April 20th, 2011, 12:07 AM
You guys have fun. I don't see Maine enacting standards for recruiting football players that are more stringent than for the student body at large.

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. There would be some serious legal challenges at any State school if a student, who happened to play football, was denied access to the school (forget the scholarship aspect for a second) when they had the same academic profile of the rest of the student body.

Not happening...and was one of the reasons Stony Brook and Albany were rejected PL membership in the 90's. You can change the profile at a private school...but you definitely would come under a discrimination claim at a State school.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM
MAC football does not seem that exciting. Just saying.

Not an exciting prospect for a program without MAC traditions, but hey MAC football is great for real MAC teams - no reason to bad-mouth them. The MAC has stability and longevity that most other conferences have to envy now. It was bad enough losing our Yankee rivals over the last couple decades. Now the rest of our history and tradition goes out the window as well. It will be a very difficult time. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to be in Amherst during the Yankee Conference years!

Yeesh, I just realized 4 of the 6 schools I've been part of have changed conferences in the last few years!

Wildcat80
April 20th, 2011, 04:41 AM
There's no way Umass can play at Gillette long term. I don't see how you can build any sort of alumni support when current students are basically exiled from home games.

Only reason this makes any sense to me is if they start renovating McGuirk immediately to eventually play most home games on campus. right??

rufus
April 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I think going to FBS is a smart move for UMass. There seems to be growing support in the NCAA to close the door to FBS permanently, although I don't know if that would hold up in court. UMass is smart to make the move before the door closes.

henfan
April 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Not an exciting prospect for a program without MAC traditions, but hey MAC football is great for real MAC teams - no reason to bad-mouth them. The MAC has stability and longevity that most other conferences have to envy now.

I agree with this completely. The MAC is a nice athletic conference for schools located in OH, MI, IN & IL. Decent athletics and very good academics. Most of the schools have similar profiles, missions, etc. Their FB competitiveness is below average compared with the rest of the FBS but, then again, they don't strive to be the Big 10.

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM

My opinion is Maine is using the next 2 years in the CAA (2011 & 2012) to get their house in order. Anything less than a playoff bid in the next 2 years, and you could see the Black Bears in the NEC with URI for the 2013 season.

LeadBolt
April 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Good Luck to UMass! I hope you clean some MAC clocks.

henfan
April 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My opinion is Maine is using the next 2 years in the CAA (2011 & 2012) to get their house in order. Anything less than a playoff bid in the next 2 years, and you could see the Black Bears in the NEC with URI for the 2013 season.

Not to change the topic but obviously UMass' departure impacts UMaine more than any other school, especially on the heals of URI's eventual move. Given their lack of support for FB and the loss of all of their historic NE rivals (except UNH), it would be hard to imagine that UMaine won't either cut scholarships or eliminate FB altogether. I don't think competitiveness has much at all to do with it for UMaine. If they can hang in there, more power to the Black Bears.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Only reason this makes any sense to me is if they start renovating McGuirk immediately to eventually play most home games on campus. right??

Looks like you are right. According to UMass officials the plan is to play at Gillette while they are doing renovations at McGuirk and use the funds from the Gillette games to pay for the stadium.

McGuirk will hopefully be ready for the 2014 season. Fingers crossed.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2011_0420umass_moves_up_to_fbs_plays_2012-13_at_gillette/

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Looks like you are right. According to UMass officials the plan is to play at Gillette while they are doing renovations at McGuirk and use the funds from the Gillette games to pay for the stadium.

If UMass will be able to pay for their stadium improvements through the revenue generated by their Gillette "appearances", I'll buy everyone on AGS a duck dinner.

So, the revenues generated from football are going to - bear with me now - going to exceed four times a comparable budget for an entire athletics department, while still supporting 46 more scholarships (23 for the football team + 23 women's scholarships for Title IX), paying money to rent Gillette, upgrading their academic compliance departments, and countless other significant expenses.

To put this in perspective, Temple's entire athletics budget is $28 million. Renovating McGuirk will require at least triple this number. And Gillette's revenue will only be a drop in the ocean. It will require more fundraising, institutional support, student fees. There is no other way.

It is complete and utter fantasy to run up the flagpole that Gillette appearances will "pay for its stadium improvements". UMass folks really ought to take the school into account for this boneheaded statement when their tuition and fees go up.

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Not to change the topic but obviously UMass' departure impacts UMaine more than any other school, especially on the heals of URI's eventual move. Given their lack of support for FB and the loss of all of their historic NE rivals (except UNH), it would be hard to imagine that UMaine won't either cut scholarships or eliminate FB altogether. I don't think competitiveness has much at all to do with it for UMaine. If they can hang in there, more power to the Black Bears.

This decision by UMass is going to have a huge effect in both Durham and Orono. I agree it's more about economics than on-field performance for Maine. I personally think UNH will consider its 'association' with other schools much more than Maine will. The next 2 seasons should be interesting, because I expect some more conference shuffuling.

Bull_In_Exile
April 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Not an exciting prospect for a program without MAC traditions, but hey MAC football is great for real MAC teams - no reason to bad-mouth them. The MAC has stability and longevity that most other conferences have to envy now. It was bad enough losing our Yankee rivals over the last couple decades. Now the rest of our history and tradition goes out the window as well. It will be a very difficult time. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to be in Amherst during the Yankee Conference years!

Yeesh, I just realized 4 of the 6 schools I've been part of have changed conferences in the last few years!

Don't sweat losing tradition too much, in the east you'll be with several 'newish' MAC teams.

Akron 92, Buffalo 98, Temple 06, and now UMass 12... Four teams in the east division have been in the MAC less than 20 years having Temple in there with you will help soften the transition as you get to hate on them in two sports.

Franks Tanks
April 20th, 2011, 10:02 AM
If UMass will be able to pay for their stadium improvements through the revenue generated by their Gillette "appearances", I'll buy everyone on AGS a duck dinner.

So, the revenues generated from football are going to - bear with me now - going to exceed four times a comparable budget for an entire athletics department, while still supporting 46 more scholarships (23 for the football team + 23 women's scholarships for Title IX), paying money to rent Gillette, upgrading their academic compliance departments, and countless other significant expenses.

To put this in perspective, Temple's entire athletics budget is $28 million. Renovating McGuirk will require at least triple this number. And Gillette's revenue will only be a drop in the ocean. It will require more fundraising, institutional support, student fees. There is no other way.

It is complete and utter fantasy to run up the flagpole that Gillette appearances will "pay for its stadium improvements". UMass folks really ought to take the school into account for this boneheaded statement when their tuition and fees go up.

Right, the rent for Gillette is probably quite high, and will cut deeply into the additional profits made though higher attendance. UMASS has the ability to get some quality teams in Gillette, but the bulk of the games will still be stinkers against Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, and Ball State.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM

It should be very interesting to see what happens. I already got a call from UMass last night looking for more money on top of what I already donated.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
The UNH AD Marty Scarano was interviewed:

Portsmouth Herald Article (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110420-SPORTS-104200371)

NHwildEcat
April 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Portsmouth Herald Article (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110420-SPORTS-104200371)

Still doesn't leave me feeling to hopefull for the future...way too much uncertainty for me.

henfan
April 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Good to see UNH plans to hang strong, UNH Alum. The CAA is better for it.

I'm sure you were pulling your hair out reading this statement...xoopsx

"In 2013 there will be nine teams, with only UNH and Maine above the Mason-Dixon line if you fudge that mark of demarcation a few miles to get it up over Newark, Del."

Those interested in geography understand Newark's position relative to the Mason-Dixon Line. It's not a North-South relationship.xnonox

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
"Travel's the most obvious (concern)," said Scarano. "There are going to be a lot of people traveling in ways they haven't before. More flights going down there and more flights coming up here."

"And the time, it couldn't be worse given the huge expense of travel right now. But (UNH's long-term) decision is not going to be anything just predicated on the finances."
"We love our affiliation with the CAA. It makes us who we are," said Scarano. "We have played at the highest level of FCS. And the CAA has been wonderful. We are valued members. No one wants to see the league break apart."
"I will tell them clearly that our interest and vision hasn't changed for UNH football," said Scarano. "We want to play the highest-quality opponents in the highest-quality league in pursuit of an NCAA championship."

I not exactly sure the Maine AD will see things the same way as UNH does. That could leave the Wildcats more isolated, but stronger in the future.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Good to see UNH plans to hang strong, UNH Alum. The CAA is better for it.

I'm sure you were pulling your hair out reading this statement...xoopsx

"In 2013 there will be nine teams, with only UNH and Maine above the Mason-Dixon line if you fudge that mark of demarcation a few miles to get it up over Newark, Del."

Those interested in geography understand Newark's position relative to the Mason-Dixon Line. It's not a North-South relationship.xnonox

Yeah, I commented on that and put a image of a map with the M-D Line up on the UNH Message Board. xnodx :) Geography and history since Mason and Dixon were commissioned to resolve the boundary issue between the Calvert and Penn charter claims long, long before the Civil War. :)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Still doesn't leave me feeling to hopefull for the future...way too much uncertainty for me.

If our women's gymnastics team can play in a league with Rutgers, Maryland, George Washington, Pitt, West Virginia, North Carolina and North Carolina State, then I think our football team can play in the CAA. I'll take this uncertainty for awhile over the alternatives.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I really hope that UNH can hold on to a spot in the CAA. It is the right place for you. I think it would be great if the CAA added Albany and possibly Fordham. That would add two more teams in the North for UNH to play.

NHwildEcat
April 20th, 2011, 01:38 PM
My biggest questions going forward primarily revolve around what the CAA wants to do regarding the ongoing situation in football. They cannot rely on these schools in the south to stick around for the long term, since it seems that most of them are sitting the the FBS waiting room. If the CAA wants to continue to be the league that it is, they need to bring in more northern located schools to join the conference...it is vital IMHO.

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Press conference about to start. Streaming here:

http://www.umassathletics.com/allaccess/?media=242335

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Press conference about to start. Streaming here:

http://www.umassathletics.com/allaccess/?media=242335

Seems to be down for me. It just keeps saying "Loading"

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I'm having the same problem.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM
We must have crashed the server.xlolxxlolx

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Full announcement here from UMASS http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042011aaa.html

They said that we will play ALL of our home games in 2012 and 2013 at Gillette.

Didn't mention the renovations to McGuirk in this article though. Hopefully those will be done by 2014. We can't have home games 100 miles from campus forever.

Jackman
April 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Right, the rent for Gillette is probably quite high, and will cut deeply into the additional profits made though higher attendance. UMASS has the ability to get some quality teams in Gillette, but the bulk of the games will still be stinkers against Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, and Ball State.

Per the press conference, Gillette Stadium is being made available to UMass free of charge. They do get a share of the revenue. They didn't say what the revenue split was. Nice to get one of the best stadiums on the continent for $0 though. I may write them that check myself. Meanwhile, Gillette Stadium will be highly motivated to promote UMass in order to make money off of this deal.

As for how an on-campus stadium would be funded, I'm pretty sure the reporter misinterpreted the answer. Higher gameday revenue will only be one source. Obviously you can't build a new stadium solely on a couple years' worth of ticket sales, otherwise everyone would do it.

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Full announcement here from UMASS http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042011aaa.html

They said that we will play ALL of our home games in 2012 and 2013 at Gillette.

Didn't mention the renovations to McGuirk in this article though. Hopefully those will be done by 2014. We can't have home games 100 miles from campus forever.

According to the FAQ:

For 2012 and 2013 UMass will play all of its home games at Gillette Stadium. After that, UMass will play a minimum of four home games at Gillette Stadium through the 2016 season. Following that five-year agreement, there will be an option for additional home games to be played at Gillette.

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/FBS2.html

So, even come 2014, there are probably only going to be a couple games per year in Amherst, tops (at least through 2016, anyway).

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Per the press conference, Gillette Stadium is being made available to UMass free of charge. They do get a share of the revenue. They didn't say what the revenue split was. Nice to get one of the best stadiums on the continent for $0 though. I may write them that check myself. Meanwhile, Gillette Stadium will be highly motivated to promote UMass in order to make money off of this deal.

As for how an on-campus stadium would be funded, I'm pretty sure the reporter misinterpreted the answer. Higher gameday revenue will only be one source. Obviously you can't build a new stadium solely on a couple years' worth of ticket sales, otherwise everyone would do it.

They better be serious about renovating McGuirk Stadium, and getting it done quickly. I hope they aren't just saying that and then it never happens and we turn into the UMass Amherst/Foxboro Minutemen. That would be a disaster.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
According to the FAQ:

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/FBS2.html

So, even come 2014, there are probably only going to be one or two games per year in Amherst, tops (at least through 2016, anyway).

That is horrible. A complete disgrace. That is actually making me feel sick right now. 100 MILES FROM CAMPUS!!!!. Horrible decision, just plain horrible. What a joke.

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
That is horrible. A complete disgrace. That is actually making me feel sick right now. 100 MILES FROM CAMPUS!!!!. Horrible decision, just plain horrible.

Yeah, I agree. I can only hope that this is a relatively short term necessity, and that in the long term Amherst will be the primary home of UMass football as it should be. One Gillette game a year would still be ok with me (especially if it's a regional "event" game against UConn or BC, like the UNH game is now).

I think it's bad enough that UConn plays its games as far away from campus as it does, and that's only half an hour. Football needs to be part of the campus experience. Playing your home games away from campus--especially ~90 miles away, in the case of Gillette--is not a good idea long-term. The novelty is going to wear off very quickly, especially with MAC opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
UMass won't be eligible for the playoffs in 2011. At-large candidates around the country are now cheering.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hmmm....I was looking at the schedule a week ago and IIRC noticed that the last game of the year is in Amherst, close enough to thanksgiving that I might be able to make it. I may consider a special trip to be at the last game at the old McGuirk.

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
UMass won't be eligible for the playoffs in 2011. At-large candidates around the country are now cheering.

Eh, I don't think UMass was going to make a playoff run anyway.

Still get to play spoiler with a full CAA schedule, though!

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hmmm....I was looking at the schedule a week ago and IIRC noticed that the last game of the year is in Amherst, close enough to thanksgiving that I might be able to make it. I may consider a special trip to be at the last game at the old McGuirk.

You definitely should. It's going to be a sad, but special, day. Lots of memories there.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Bad memories? xreadx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Bad memories? xreadx

That was no pass interference. I have a long memory! xlolx

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Eh, I don't think UMass was going to make a playoff run anyway.

Never been a better chance to post an undefeated season. xcoolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
For your sake, I hope UMass can get a construction project up and running quicker and keep its budget under control out there in Amherst than occurs in Eastern MA! Big Dig! xwhistlex xbangx

I'm not a Sled Dog fan, but the speed at which they funded and built Rentschler Field was incredible. I use it as an example anytime someone says you can't do something in this state! xrolleyesx xrotatehx

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM
For your sake, I hope UMass can get a construction project up and running quicker and keep its budget under control out there in Amherst than occurs in Eastern MA! Big Dig! xwhistlex xbangx

I'm not a Sled Dog fan, but the speed at which they funded and built Rentschler Field was incredible. I use it as an example anytime someone says you can't do something in this state! xrolleyesx xrotatehx

Haha, yeah. As long as the Huskies are involved, things get done!

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Haha, yeah. As long as the Huskies are involved, things get done!

Exactly! We've been waiting decades for new buildings, like a Police Station, on the CCSU campus. The Connecticut state government is infested with UConn alumni and supporters, so if you attach UConn to a project it will get done. Everthing else waits ....

The state made a mess of I-84 rehab, the Q-Bridge, and varous other transporation projects. When Rowland wanted a new courthouse/state building in Waterbury it took just 2 years, all the while Stamford was waiting 20+ years for a new courthouse. Politics get jobs done in Connecticut.

Tim James
April 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
They've been discussing this on local Boston sports radio. Tony "Mr. Negative" Massarotti thinks the move will eventually be a failure. Michael Felger loves the move and is very excited about it but has no interest in them eventually playing in Amherst. He seems to think it will only work playing in Gillette. If they arent playing in Foxboro then he said he doesnt care about the move. He said they need to get out of the MAC and he didnt even know what schools are in the MAC. The co host (Jermaine Wiggins) thought East Carolina was in the MAC. Tony seem to think that you need to "cheat to win" in big time college football and since you cant do that in Massachusetts, UMass will never have a top program. Both want UMass to "cheat" to win just so they can get "big time college football" in this era.

Thank god for the students and alumni because I am getting the impression that the "Boston Media" will not be very intertesed if Amherst is the long term solution. Of course if they win big then they will have no choice but they will still do everything they can to try to bring the program down like they did with the basketball program.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
"Boston" is as foreign to Western Mass as Los Angeles

UMass922
April 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM
"Boston" is as foreign to Western Mass as Los Angeles

+1

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the more I read into the info coming from the school the more it sounds like after this year we will never be playing games in Amherst ever again.

This will lead to possibly 15 students coming to games at Gillette. Great call by everyone at the school. Wow.

dbackjon
April 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I will be seeing friends that are long time UMASS season ticket holders next week - will be interested to hear what they have to say...

Saint3333
April 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM

I thought as long as they remain at 63 grants they could.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM
The first 2 seasons of "home games" will probably go well. Interest in the MAC games will fall after that without an unexpected level of success, so they better get the team back in Amherst ASAP.

I have no idea how MAC games in Amherst will draw - probably not much above the present level. It seems like the recent average attendance is much higher than when I was there? We used to think 5000 was a nice crowd for those chilly wet november games. I could not make myself go to some of those.

I wonder if the "big games" are stuck in foxboro for the forseeable future...

bluehenbillk
April 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Nope, they are ineligible for the FCS playoffs moving forward. And, they can go over the 63 number now too.

ngineer
April 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I just don't see this working for UMass. Logistically, I hope they have done their homework in justifying having their 'home games' anywhere but. Same thing Villanova is/was looking at in a stadium 30 minutes from their campus. Ball State, Western Michigan, etal I don't see being 'big draws' for the casual fan, let alone the casual alum.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Moving to Gillette full time is a horrendous idea. I don't see how Umass can build a fanbase when they're screwing the student body.

bkrownd
April 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Moving to Gillette full time is a horrendous idea. I don't see how Umass can build a fanbase when they're screwing the student body.

for a couple of years it will do, but you are correct that they need games on campus to generate real consistent support.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I really think that the officials at UMass just really like the idea of sharing a luxury box with Robert Kraft on Saturday's. They could care less if any students show up.

Let's be realistic here and say what none of the reporters or officials are willing to say. Not more than 100 of the UMass Amherst students are going to pay (Because we all know it won't be free or they would have said that already) to get on buses and drive at least an hour and a half to Gillette for a MAC conference game.

We can't even get the students to wake up before 1pm to come to a game that is ON CAMPUS!!

It is going to be embarrassing.

EmeryZach
April 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Oh and just wait for this headline on the front page of the Boston Globe.

"Four UMass Amherst students die in drunk driving incident returning to campus from Gillette Stadium"

That will go over HUGE!!

BigApp
April 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
and the CAA gets one step closer to having a real champion...

henfan
April 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM
and the CAA gets one step closer to having a real champion...

The CAA has a "real champion" every year. Sometimes, teams with the same conference record share the conference title, much like they've done since the early days of the Yankee Conference. A list of conference champions is here:

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/FBMedia/10Guide/Pages75_78.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500

Though the kids get rings, bragging rights, etc. for conference championships and Lambert Cups, the majority of fans couldn't give a fig about them. The important thing is making the playoffs and competing for an NCAA National Championship, as has been the case since the conference's roots in the D-II playoffs back in the '70's.

I'm sure that Ivy League followers celebrate their conference championships as the penultimate achievement of their teams. And good on them!

bkrownd
April 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I really think that the officials at UMass just really like the idea of sharing a luxury box with Robert Kraft on Saturday's. They could care less if any students show up.

Yesterday thought of the football program being away from campus for 5-years-to-life really started worrying me. I was shocked by comments like ""We see this venue as an outstanding opportunity for us for a very, very long time," McCutcheon said." If the team isn't on campus is it really part of the University? It's all about the dollars now...but only as long as the dollars are coming in. And then? Attendance at Amherst College games should be strong in 2012.

UMass922
April 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Yesterday thought of the football program being away from campus for 5-years-to-life really started worrying me. I was shocked by comments like ""We see this venue as an outstanding opportunity for us for a very, very long time," McCutcheon said." If the team isn't on campus is it really part of the University? It's all about the dollars now...but only as long as the dollars are coming in. And then? Attendance at Amherst College games should be strong in 2012.

The "very, very long time" comment is bothering me a lot, too. I'm fine with Gillette in the short-term as a way of generating interest/excitement and of buying some time for an upgrade of facilities on-campus. But over the long term? The novelty is going to wear off, especially with a MAC schedule. Football needs to be a part of the campus experience. One of the major benefits of having big-time football is that it brings a lot more eyes to your campus. Playing all of your "home" games 95 miles away largely defeats that. What exactly is gameday on campus supposed to feel like when the game isn't even on campus, or anywhere near it?

I'm ok with having one game a year at Gillette as a special event, especially if it's a regional rivalry game against UConn or BC (both of which, incidentally, are closer to Foxborough than UMass is). But as a permanent site for all or most of our home games, I think it's a terrible idea in the long run.

NIU007
May 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
As a MAC fan I don't know as much about your situation as you guys do but I'd have to agree that it would worry me if you're going to be playing at Gillette for a long time. Not sure that's sustainable for your fan base. Anyway, I'd have to think it would look bad having small crowds playing in a venue that large - and games against most MAC schools won't have many visiting fans so UMass fans will have to do all the work getting people there.

Wildcat80
May 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
So long as either UMass wins..... or at least is respectable while playing major FBS teams..... Gillette will attract fans. Attendance will drop way off if you cannot win. Will take alot of effort for students to then leave campus.