PDA

View Full Version : 5 Furman Football players busted

The Moody1
April 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.wyff4.com/news/27562041/detail.html

GREENVILLE COUNTY, S.C. -- Furman University said five football players have either been suspended or dismissed after being arrested following an undercover drug investigation. A sixth student, who is not on the football team, was also arrested.

The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office and Furman police said that the investigation followed a complaint about a Furman student selling narcotics.

Deputies said during the investigation, officers made several marijuana purchases that led to four search warrants on campus and at the Sleep Inn hotel in Travelers Inn.

The students were arrested Thursday night.

Furman head football coach Bruce Fowler said that defensive end Aaron Riley, cornerback Jordan Grant Griffin and linebacker Tim Lawrence have been dismissed from the program. Linebacker Sterling Johnson and safety Nathan Wade have been suspended indefinitely.

Student status for the six arrested students will be determined by the university.

Riley, 20, of Jacksonville, Fla., is charged with conspiracy to distribute marijuana, possession of a Schedule II controlled substance, possession with intent to distribute marijuana and possession with intent to distribution of marijuana within a half mile of a school. He was also ticketed for possession of drug paraphernalia and simple possession of marijuana.

Griffin, 20, of Fairburn, Ga., is charged with distribution of marijuana within a half mile of a school, distribution of marijuana and conspiracy to distribute marijuana. He was also ticketed for possession of marijuana.

Lawrence, 20, of Ellenwood, Ga., is charged with three counts of distribution of marijuana within a half mile of a school, conspiracy to distribute marijuana, possession with intent to distribute hash, possession with intent to distribute marijuana, two counts of distribution of marijuana and distribution of a manufactured drug other than crack cocaine near a school.

Johnson, 22, was charged with interfering with police.

Wade, 21, of Greenville, was given a ticket for simple possession of marijuana.

James Lancaster Bridgeman, 20, was also charged with public disorderly conduct.

Bridgeman was the only person arrested who was not on the Furman football team.

Coach Fowler said, “Unfortunately these young men put themselves in a situation where they violated team rules and the trust placed in them by their coaches, teammates, classmates and entire university community, and now they face the consequences of their actions. As head football coach, I sincerely regret this and the impact it has on our program and our community.”

GreatAppSt
April 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ouch!

Go...gate
April 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I give the coach and the university credit for suspending/dismissing them.

AndrewFU21
April 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Embarrassing. For what it's worth, Nathan Wade, Jordan Griffin, and Sterling Johnson are starters on defense, and Riley is a backup on the D-Line.

Playing football at Furman University is a privilege, and there is no room for those who take that privilege so lightly.

kdinva
April 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Playing football at Furman University is a privilege, and there is no room for those who take that privilege so lightly.
So true, and it applies to about 85% of the FB programs.......the others: it's 15 strikes, then you're out........xwhistlex

tractorapp
April 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hope these young men learn from this and turn their lives around. Coach Fowler has a real challege to pull the other kids together and I hope he is successful.

gophoenix
April 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I give the coach and the university credit for suspending/dismissing them.

Irony is, not all schools in the conference suspend players for this sort of thing....

OL FU
April 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
xrolleyesx Where am I going to get my stash now :(

OL FU
April 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Embarrassing. For what it's worth, Nathan Wade, Jordan Griffin, and Sterling Johnson are starters on defense, and Riley is a backup on the D-Line.

I understand the comment, but I am not embarrassed. Kids are kids and they are going to do what they are going to do, as long as the university handles it in the right way, no embarrassment required.

WMTribe90
April 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I understand the comment, but I am not embarrassed. Kids are kids and they are going to do what they are going to do, as long as the university handles it in the right way, no embarrassment required.

This really doesn't fall under the umbrella of boys will be boys. Smoking some marijuana maybe, scholarship football players dealing, that's another another level of stupid. Agreed the university handled it the right way. I would be embarrassed if this happened at WM, but doesn't mean you have to be.

eaglewraith
April 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
This really doesn't fall under the umbrella of boys will be boys. Smoking some marijuana maybe, scholarship football players dealing, that's another another level of stupid. Agreed the university handled it the right way. I would be embarrassed if this happened at WM, but doesn't mean you have to be.

Smoking a joint once in your life does not make you a bad person, much like having a beer before you're 21.

However, selling drugs is a little beyond trying something out. A line was definitely crossed there.

OL FU
April 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM

I was probably a little too short in my answer, yes it goes beyond boys will be boys, but I don't see any reason to be embarrassed for the university or the football program. Maybe I am missing it, but over a long period of time thousands of athletic scholarships are handed out to 18 year olds. I doubt seriously there is a university out there that hasn't had a situation like this or worse and more than likely it occurred without the students getting caught. The university should do every thing reasonable to make sure it never happens and should take appropriate action when it does. I still see no reason to be embarrassed, but I am a reasonable person, so I am all ears.

Now with that said, it certainly isn't the kind of publicity you want for your school or football program and I certainly would be more concerned and would be embarrassed if this was a regular occurrence. Maybe it is semantics, while it is not good and certainly would have been better if it didn't happen and I would be embarrassed if problems like this seemed systemic and I would certainly be embarrassed to find out that football coaches or university personnel knew but took no action, but I wouldn't use the word embarrassed because a few bad apples are in the basket .xtwocentsx

I may be missing the point, but I would use terms such as disappointed and sad.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Every program has its day in the dim light. Guess its our time.

Outside of some players being suspended a five or six years ago, and Lee's suspension last year, this is certainly the exception. I've always appreciated the "swift justice" with which Furman handles these things. I know some are of the persuasion that everyone deserves second, third, fourth, and fifth chances, but I am of the opinion that if you screw around you are gone. If you want to act like a fool and play football, then go play for someone else.

GaSouthern
April 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Take any group of 80 or so kids across the country and the chances of a few of them getting in trouble is pretty good.

SoCon48
April 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I was probably a little too short in my answer, yes it goes beyond boys will be boys, but I don't see any reason to be embarrassed for the university or the football program. Maybe I am missing it, but over a long period of time thousands of athletic scholarships are handed out to 18 year olds. I doubt seriously there is a university out there that hasn't had a situation like this or worse and more than likely it occurred without the students getting caught. The university should do every thing reasonable to make sure it never happens and should take appropriate action when it does. I still see no reason to be embarrassed, but I am a reasonable person, so I am all ears.

Now with that said, it certainly isn't the kind of publicity you want for your school or football program and I certainly would be more concerned and would be embarrassed if this was a regular occurrence. Maybe it is semantics, while it is not good and certainly would have been better if it didn't happen and I would be embarrassed if problems like this seemed systemic and I would certainly be embarrassed to find out that football coaches or university personnel knew but took no action, but I wouldn't use the word embarrassed because a few bad apples are in the basket .xtwocentsx

I recall being laughed at when Alan Atwater at App got caught...laughed at by Furman fans.

SoCon48
April 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Take any group of 80 or so kids across the country and the chances of a few of them getting in trouble is pretty good.

Good point.

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I recall being laughed at when Alan Atwater at App got caught...laughed at by Furman fans.

I can't speak for everyone, but most Furman fans are not naive enough to think the university is immune to this type thing. It happens, unfortunately. We are fortunate, though, as Furman has generally handles these situations quickly, in house, and with a sharp axe. These guys will be gone and you won't hear mention of it again. On with business as usual.

PaladinNation
April 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Not trying to change the subject but:
Griffin was not a starter in the spring. Austin Williams was playing first string. Sterling Johnson shared reps in the spring with a bunch of up and comers… Worthy, Howard to name a few. Not so sure Johnson would have been the starter during the season since Furman has many young, and more physically gifted players ready at that position.
Riley rotated at what was a very deep position… DE. Now Furman has three very experienced players for two positions instead of four players. John Mackey of Baylor HS might be needed for depth.
Wade is a tough loss but Furman is blessed with some great players ready to go at FS… Derrick Murray, and Matthew Gordon.

BTW… Johnson and Wade are still listed on the roster, so I think its premature to say they are gone… I believe Wade was Griffin's roommate.

WMTribe90
April 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM

Fair enough OL FU, I know you're not in any way condoning their actions and I respect the Furman program and know this a rarity for the program.

OL FU
April 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Not this Furman fan, unless it was a harmless joke. Besides, I expect people to joke about it. I can even participate.

BoroNative
April 19th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Whew...I thought for a minute there they were involved in that awful Harry Potter video production. That would be worthy of expulsion. xrotatehx

Houndawg
April 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Especially if they play defense.