PDA

View Full Version : NDSU looking for 2 home games in 2012

TheBisonator
April 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Two smaller-level schools are preferred for guarantees, although if we decide to play 12 games in 2013, NDSU could do a home-home with a bigger FCS (i.e. anyone from the SoCon, CAA, higher-level OVC or Southland) and return the trip in '13. That way we could still have 6 home games in '13.

Right now for 2012 we have Colorado State on the road and our 8-game conference slate, and THAT'S IT. USD comes in as the 10th MVFC school in 2012, but I think we're just replacing an eastern MVFC school with USD in that schedule. We could definitely play an NEC school in a pinch and pay a good guarantee, but we would still need one more game, which is why I thought it would be good to take advantage of 2013's 12-games and do a home-home.

Here's an incredibly evil idea:

Buy out UND's home game contract with South Dakota School of Jackhammering and Welldigging or whatever the hell the name of the NAIA school they're playing and pay UND a small guarantee to come to Fargo on that 2012 date and receive their whoopin'.

Otherwise, it would be nice to fill out that schedule as soon as possible.

JSUBison
April 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
NDSU buy out UND's contract with Rapid City Community College? You do realize that the contract Faison signed probably had at least a six figure buyout.

TheBisonator
April 14th, 2011, 10:23 PM
NDSU buy out UND's contract with Rapid City Community College? You do realize that the contract Faison signed probably had at least a six figure buyout.

Have UND buy out the contract (which I bet the buyout is no more than $100,000), then reimburse UND the buyout money and an extra 30 grand for the bus trip. You don't need a lot of guarantee money when you're talking a 75 mile trip.

Have NDSU charge a premium for tickets (add 10 bucks to the cost) to pay for the guarantee amount, but don't give many tickets to UND's ticket office. Only give them maybe 500 tickets maximum. Have the place filled to the brim with 95% Bison fans.

Now all of a sudden the 2012 schedule looks pretty good. Plus the beating of UND that comes with it is always a plus.

(Yeah, I'm starting to think that we should play UND as soon as possible just so we can beat them and move on with our respective program's missions)

slostang
April 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Cal Poly is looking for a home game in 2012. Maybe the Bison can come here in 2012 and Cal Poly can go to Fargo in 2013. Would love to see the Bison back on the schedule.

TheBisonator
April 14th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Cal Poly is looking for a home game in 2012. Maybe the Bison can come here in 2012 and Cal Poly can go to Fargo in 2013. Would love to see the Bison back on the schedule.

We would REALLY like 6 home games in '12. I was hoping that you could come here first, but then again last time we played you came to Fargo...

slostang
April 14th, 2011, 11:57 PM
From what I have heard (not sure if it is fact or not), Cal Poly already has 6 away games and 4 home games for 2012. We have to add a 5th home game.

darell1976
April 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I love the @ss whopping NDSU will give UND talk. Its hilarious!!! What is that based on?? Remember when NDSU opened the Fargodome and the first UND-NDSU game in it. Total classic 34-13 butt whopping the Sioux gave the Bison I still have it on tape. We go 3-8 and already the NDSU is mightier than UND talk comes in, didn't NDSU win 3 games in 09? And what happened the following year...playoffs. Only for us we aren't eligible yet. So save the smack talk until we actually play. Also if I was Cal Poly and NDSU wanted you to go to their home first...make sure they cannot buyout the return trip.

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I love the @ss whopping NDSU will give UND talk. Its hilarious!!! What is that based on?? Remember when NDSU opened the Fargodome and the first UND-NDSU game in it. Total classic 34-13 butt whopping the Sioux gave the Bison I still have it on tape. We go 3-8 and already the NDSU is mightier than UND talk comes in, didn't NDSU win 3 games in 09? And what happened the following year...playoffs. Only for us we aren't eligible yet. So save the smack talk until we actually play. Also if I was Cal Poly and NDSU wanted you to go to their home first...make sure they cannot buyout the return trip.

Question: Is there any aspect of your team whatsoever that leads you to believe that you will win more than two games against Division I opponents next year?? Cause I sure don't see any.

2009 NDSU Bison lost a lot of close games. Plus there was the legal baggage we had to get rid of. The ability to contend was always there. You'll see us go even farther this year than last.

UND football is at the bottom and has shown no signs of lifting off the ground again. If you think that in 2011 or 2012, with the talent both teams have, that UND could bet NDSU in football... Then man, I dunno what else to say.

(I'm trying to not smack here, please don't give me any warnings, board refs...)

darell1976
April 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Question: Is there any aspect of your team whatsoever that leads you to believe that you will win more than two games against Division I opponents next year?? Cause I sure don't see any.

2009 NDSU Bison lost a lot of close games. Plus there was the legal baggage we had to get rid of. The ability to contend was always there. You'll see us go even farther this year than last.

UND football is at the bottom and has shown no signs of lifting off the ground again. If you think that in 2011 or 2012, with the talent both teams have, that UND could bet NDSU in football... Then man, I dunno what else to say.

(I'm trying to not smack here, please don't give me any warnings, board refs...)

We almost beat FBS N. Illinois who finished 11-3. Now you guys preach about beating Kansas (3-9) and Minnesota 1-11, but i love the we lost a lot of close games excuse...well the standings show...wins and losses, there is no losing close games column, and your 3 wins that season your opponents had a combined 5 wins (1 by Indiana St, 1 by W. Illinois, and 3 by Wagner at home). You guys rip on us for going 3-8 but we played close games too. Losing by 10 to South Dakota (who beat Minnesota), lost to Cal Poly by 1, losing at Montana by 10, and losing by 6 to NIU. We had injuries that hurt us including RB, OL, and QB. So basically our offense, but this year should be a turnaround year because in the history of UND football we don't stand to be the doormat year after year.

(Mods, please no infraction here just a responce to Bisonator's question.)

darell1976
April 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM

NDSU fans have been saying that since 1894.

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
NDSU fans have been saying that since 1894.

Personally, the only reason I am starting to feel OK with NDSU playing UND in 2012 is because I know the chances of us beating you are incredibly good. I honestly do not see UND competing for the playoffs in 2012. Your schedule will not have three NAIA teams on it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't see 3-8 and 3-8 in UND's two year future (I think you'll go 5-6 in '11), but I do not see a 7-4 or 8-3 (or better) UND team who's capable of putting a beating on the Bison in the next two seasons. That's just how I see it.

Your program has hit a bottom is has not seen since the 80's. As long as Mussman is your coach, it will be incredibly difficult, nay, impossible to make a huge turnaround in the program, let alone in a little over one full season.

If UND tanks in 2011 and fires Mussman and hires a proven winner as a coach (someone like UMD's coach), I will retract my statement. until then, you are not a threat to NDSU in football.

darell1976
April 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Personally, the only reason I am starting to feel OK with NDSU playing UND in 2012 is because I know the chances of us beating you are incredibly good. I honestly do not see UND competing for the playoffs in 2012. Your schedule will not have three NAIA teams on it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't see 3-8 and 3-8 in UND's two year future (I think you'll go 5-6 in '11), but I do not see a 7-4 or 8-3 (or better) UND team who's capable of putting a beating on the Bison in the next two seasons. That's just how I see it.

Your program has hit a bottom is has not seen since the 80's. As long as Mussman is your coach, it will be incredibly difficult, nay, impossible to make a huge turnaround in the program, let alone in a little over one full season.

If UND tanks in 2011 and fires Mussman and hires a proven winner as a coach (someone like UMD's coach), I will retract my statement. until then, you are not a threat to NDSU in football.

I see where you are coming from. Mussman hasn't proved much as a coach and Faison's crappy schedule doesn't prepare us for tough teams I would love to see where our SOS sits amoung the rest of the FCS world (my guess is towards the bottom), but when UND fired now UNO coach Pat Behrns in 1985 the Sioux were at the bottom and look where Roger Thomas took UND to a conference title and win over the heavily favored Bison in 1993. Is Mussman the next Thomas maybe not, but it takes time and we are almost done filtering out the D2 players and we will have a new QB this year and when we play Drake we will see where UND sits. As for NDSU would beat UND...thats why they play the game. Anybody can beat anybody thats why I bring up UND over NDSU in 1994 the first Sioux-Bison game in the Fargodome. No chance for UND with the dome and the noise and looked what happened UND smoked NDSU. So every Bison fan can say we will crush you and every Sioux fan will just say....bring it.

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I see where you are coming from. Mussman hasn't proved much as a coach and Faison's crappy schedule doesn't prepare us for tough teams I would love to see where our SOS sits amoung the rest of the FCS world (my guess is towards the bottom), but when UND fired now UNO coach Pat Behrns in 1985 the Sioux were at the bottom and look where Roger Thomas took UND to a conference title and win over the heavily favored Bison in 1993. Is Mussman the next Thomas maybe not, but it takes time and we are almost done filtering out the D2 players and we will have a new QB this year and when we play Drake we will see where UND sits. As for NDSU would beat UND...thats why they play the game. Anybody can beat anybody thats why I bring up UND over NDSU in 1994 the first Sioux-Bison game in the Fargodome. No chance for UND with the dome and the noise and looked what happened UND smoked NDSU. So every Bison fan can say we will crush you and every Sioux fan will just say....bring it.

Thanks for understanding. Again, I don't mean it as saying you will never ever be able to beat us in a million years. This is literally the next 13-14 games on the schedule I'm talking about here, where I believe NDSU hold the advantage. But Mussman I think is a guy who will be holding you back as long as he's at the helm.

I'm not going to proclaim that UND football will be terrible in '13, '14, '15 as well, etc. So much can happen in so little time. I have no freakin idea how UND football will do even at the end of this year's freshman recruiting class cycle. But I've watched some footage of your guys in spring ball, and I've watched the same for NDSU, and I've watched replays of NDSU's season. You don't match up right now talent wise. But so much crap can happen in the next 2-3 calendar years.

Personally, I would like to see the rivalry renewed in the FCS playoffs (played at the FFD as long as you're gonna fight that silly nickname thing :D), and my idea of paying UND a guarantee in '12 was just a wacky thought. If I came across as being too smacky, I apologize. That's not really my interest, that is, riling UND fans up. I just want to see NDSU fill out its 2012 schedule.

darell1976
April 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for understanding. Again, I don't mean it as saying you will never ever be able to beat us in a million years. This is literally the next 13-14 games on the schedule I'm talking about here, where I believe NDSU hold the advantage. But Mussman I think is a guy who will be holding you back as long as he's at the helm.

I'm not going to proclaim that UND football will be terrible in '13, '14, '15 as well, etc. So much can happen in so little time. I have no freakin idea how UND football will do even at the end of this year's freshman recruiting class cycle. But I've watched some footage of your guys in spring ball, and I've watched the same for NDSU, and I've watched replays of NDSU's season. You don't match up right now talent wise. But so much crap can happen in the next 2-3 calendar years.

Personally, I would like to see the rivalry renewed in the FCS playoffs (played at the FFD as long as you're gonna fight that silly nickname thing :D), and my idea of paying UND a guarantee in '12 was just a wacky thought. If I came across as being too smacky, I apologize. That's not really my interest, that is, riling UND fans up. I just want to see NDSU fill out its 2012 schedule.

No problem. We deserve to get smacked for our 3-8 record since we did that to you in 09, I guess what goes around comes around. It would help if UND through in more $$$ into football. Everyone knows hockey is king and people think hockey is all that matters at UND, well to me I love football, basketball, and hockey (our baseball team really doesn't interest me). I wish football got the publicity and $$ that hockey does starting with the coaching staff. I think Bohl makes a hell of a lot more money than Mussman but Hakstol sucks up all the salary money. UND needs something to turn this program around, and step 1 will be a new conference, step 2 a high powered offense (which UND may get with our new QB...Landry was NOT it), and step 3 coaching if Mussman doesn't get UND an FCS win then fire him. And btw the way you guys played last year in the playoffs....I am glad we didn't play you!!!!

Twentysix
April 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
What about RMU as a home opener? Its an east coast team like were fond of, we could probably just pay them off, no need to return a trip. And we have a little history with last years playoffs, which will only be 2 years removed at the time of the game.

darell1976
April 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Seriously though, other than N Illinois, did any of those teams have a good year? Calpoly went 6-4. U of M went 6-4. USD went 4-7

lol @ bolded

I think if we have beaten NIU our team would have gained more confidence. We went from 45-0 from 1 FBS team to a 6 point defeat from another, but as the season went on it was 1 heartbreaker after another. UND did lead against Cal Poly and Montana, but couldn't hold on. I wonder if there is more fan "noise" that somehow UND can get on NDSU's schedule either a home and home or a every other year, or even a Dakota rotation with SDSU and USD. Fans on both sides know we need to play each other. We need the rivalry back in football.

Twentysix
April 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I think if we have beaten NIU our team would have gained more confidence. We went from 45-0 from 1 FBS team to a 6 point defeat from another, but as the season went on it was 1 heartbreaker after another. UND did lead against Cal Poly and Montana, but couldn't hold on. I wonder if there is more fan "noise" that somehow UND can get on NDSU's schedule either a home and home or a every other year, or even a Dakota rotation with SDSU and USD. Fans on both sides know we need to play each other. We need the rivalry back in football.

Maybe so, im just pointing out your dig at NDSU's close losses comment, and you rebuttle with almost beating someone.

UND will be on our schedule, its just a matter of when. Could be the best thing thats happened to your nonhockey attendance in awhile :S

JSUBison
April 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe so, im just pointing out your dig at NDSU's close losses comment, and you rebuttle with almost beating someone.

UND will be on our schedule, its just a matter of when. Could be the best thing thats happened to your nonhockey attendance in awhile :S

Won't happen as long as Faison is up there.

darell1976
April 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Won't happen as long as Faison is up there.

Sadly I do have to agree. He is being very stupid about this. Attendance would be at max but he doesn't see the whole picture. Imagine NDSU at UND. Sold out Alerus Center. Lots of Fargo people in Grand Forks shopping (money for the city), game on national televison (Fox College Sports) so recruiting would be great for both schools as HS players around the country can see two teams that despise each other go at it and would take notice on the atmosphere. But he wants to be a giant douche so its wait and see (see us play Black Hills State or Montana Tech in front of maybe 5,000 people at most).

RabidRabbit
April 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Isn't 2011 UND's last year of transition purgetory?

NDSU has been very successful at getting in NEC/MEAC/SWAC type opponents. Definitely helps pad the D-I wins. IMHO, NDSU should upgrade and take on one decent FCS opponent rather than going for patsies OOC. HomeNHome with a CAA, Southland, BSC, even upper half OVC team would be good.

FargoBison
April 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Well Montana State is coming to Fargo in 2013 to finish what was a home and home that started in 2005. Since MSU is honoring that game I'd bet future games will be coming.

Montana is coming to Fargo in 2014, we'll go there in 2015. Of course Georgia Southern backed out on coming to Fargo in 2011, that said I'd love to play a CAA team or SoCon team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Lehigh has been shown a willingness to travel. They usually don't like to be one upped by Lafayette either.

Purple Pride
April 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Every team in the GSC has an open date.

TheBisonator
April 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Every team in the GSC has an open date.

We won't play a non-counter for playoffs.

aceinthehole
April 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Call Coach Mac, I'm sure CCSU would like to come out for another game.

darell1976
April 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Isn't 2011 UND's last year of transition purgetory?

NDSU has been very successful at getting in NEC/MEAC/SWAC type opponents. Definitely helps pad the D-I wins. IMHO, NDSU should upgrade and take on one decent FCS opponent rather than going for patsies OOC. HomeNHome with a CAA, Southland, BSC, even upper half OVC team would be good.

YES!!!! 2011 is our last God aweful year of transition. It sucks not being in any kind of playoffs except the CIT (those that aren't in the NCAA March Madness or NIT). 2012 cannot come soon enough!!!!

Is it easier to schedule FBS teams to FCS teams?? It seems UND like NDSU have FBS teams on their schedule years in advance but hardly any FCS teams on the slate.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM
YES!!!! 2011 is our last God aweful year of transition. It sucks not being in any kind of playoffs except the CIT (those that aren't in the NCAA March Madness or NIT). 2012 cannot come soon enough!!!!

Is it easier to schedule FBS teams to FCS teams?? It seems UND like NDSU have FBS teams on their schedule years in advance but hardly any FCS teams on the slate.

How many years was NDSU in transition? Crazy that a new football team like GA State or ODU can become full members faster than a school moving up from Div. II.

UAalum72
April 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
How many years was NDSU in transition? Crazy that a new football team like GA State or ODU can become full members faster than a school moving up from Div. II.
It's the difference from moving a single sport up, to moving an entire athletic program.

darell1976
April 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM

5 years is the timeline with year 1 being the final year in DII then 4 years of DI non-playoff hell.

RabidRabbit
April 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
It is easier to get the FBS $$ game at the FBS than it is to get a FCS team to a home game OOC, IMHO.

darell1976
April 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
It is easier to get the FBS $$ game at the FBS than it is to get a FCS team to a home game OOC, IMHO.

I just hope our AD remembers our buddies in Brookings, and Vermillion when looking for OOC games.

BlueGoldAg
April 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
How about renewing the rivalry with UC Davis? I'm not sure what our 2012 schedule will look like since we will be competing in the BSC in 2012, but Aggie fans would love to get a home and home with the Bison again. We've had a some mega-classic battles in the past and there has always been great respect between the programs and the fans of both schools.

No_Skill
April 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I just hope our AD remembers our buddies in Brookings, and Vermillion when looking for OOC games.

Have you noticed that you have a knack for turning Bison topics into und topics?

Seriously, please, I'd like to read a thead without it being derailed.

I don't need a response and I won't respond to it if you post one, just please...stay on topic and post in the appropriate threads.

DJKyR0
April 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think the general formula for success has to be 1 FBS, 1 cupcake FCS (get a good turnout for the home opener, big win to start the season off right, etc etc) and some manner of home-and-home, 2-and-1, one-game guarantee, etc. with an FCS power. Georgia Southern would've been dope for the last one, but the Delawares, App States, Montanas et al. are great teams to start series up with if they're available. Six home games are awesome but if it means getting playoff teams in the Dome I'm willing to take a 5-game home set, not that GT necessarily will be.

darell1976
April 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM
Have you noticed that you have a knack for turning Bison topics into und topics?

Seriously, please, I'd like to read a thead without it being derailed.

I don't need a response and I won't respond to it if you post one, just please...stay on topic and post in the appropriate threads.

Is that why Bisonator mentioned UND in the first post. Yeah thats what I thought. Plus I was responding to RabidRabbit's post.....thanks for playing.

No_Skill
April 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think the general formula for success has to be 1 FBS, 1 cupcake FCS (get a good turnout for the home opener, big win to start the season off right, etc etc) and some manner of home-and-home, 2-and-1, one-game guarantee, etc. with an FCS power. Georgia Southern would've been dope for the last one, but the Delawares, App States, Montanas et al. are great teams to start series up with if they're available. Six home games are awesome but if it means getting playoff teams in the Dome I'm willing to take a 5-game home set, not that GT necessarily will be.

I agree 100% with this.