PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Loses Receiver Coach to Troy

TexasTerror
March 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
A lateral move if you ask me. Going from a I-AA school to a very low on the totem pole Sun Belt (former I-AA) school. Best of luck to him at the I-A level...

Trojans hire receivers coach
Saturday, March 04, 2006

TROY - Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney announced Friday the hiring of Neal Brown as receivers coach.

Brown will work with veteran assistant Shayne Wasden in coaching the Trojans receivers in the offensive attack being implemented by new offensive coordinator Tony Franklin.

"I had to go through a process to find the most help available for either side of the ball," Blakeney said. "Had we lost Mike Pelton to Clemson, that would have put me in a real quandary. As it turned out, we were able to let Tony bring in another coach who knows his system."

Brown, 25, comes to Troy after serving as receivers coach at the University of Delaware last fall and as receivers and quarterbacks coach at NCAA I-AA Sacred Heart in 2004. The Pioneers led the Northeast Conference in scoring offense with 27.6 points per game.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1139480267229840.xml&coll=2

Cocky
March 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I call it a step down. Troy's program is on a slow course to the bottom.

ngineer
March 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Strange move to me. I find Delaware to a more prestigous place to coach than Troy State.

GannonFan
March 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure how enamored UD was with this guy - last year was his first year at UD and he didn't seem to make much of an impression. He was definitely a step down from the previous holder of the position, who moved up by taking a similar role at the U of Maryland. KC has been a little hit and miss on coaching replacements - he did well on filling the offensive line coaching hole, but not so good on the d-backs and Wr's - on the plus side, he may have corrected the d-back hire as Collins left and Rapone from Temple, along with a hefty resume, is on board. At least KC isn't sticking with guys who obviously aren't getting it done - I'd prefer getting it right to start, but I'm sure recruiting coaches is not an exact science.

JaxSinfonian
March 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I wish him the worst of luck in his new endeavors.

Whup Troy!

blukeys
March 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Strange move to me. I find Delaware to a more prestigous place to coach than Troy State.

I wish him the best of luck. One year at UD must have been part of his resume builder. I think we can hire as good or better an assistant. He was no where near as good as Coach BO.