PDA

View Full Version : TSPN Speculation: Tx So's Johnnie Cole Resigns

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM
A thread on TSPN directed at TSU fan C-Leb (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?97088-C-LEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is indicating that Johnnie Cole, Texas Southern's head coach, has resigned.

This is not the first time that fans have speculated this but, additional posts indicate that local sports radio host Ralph Cooper is indicating the same thing with other posts stipulating that a press conference will occur on Friday.

There has been no confirmation at this point - but Cole does have an interesting track record with the NCAA.

Cole was named SWAC Coach of the Year after leading Texas Southern to the SWAC Championship this past December.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM
xrotatehx

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
xrotatehx

Any answers? Seems to be quite the topic of conversation...

3rd Coast Tiger
March 30th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Any answers? Seems to be quite the topic of conversation...

I'd say so! Just you and I exchanging comments.

Humble Steward
March 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I heard the same rumor. Have not been able to confirm it yet.

WestCoastAggie
March 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Tx. Southern officials are being very tight lipped about this, if it is indeed true.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 30th, 2011, 02:33 PM
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

WestCoastAggie
March 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM

TexasTerror
March 31st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Figure I'll get an e-mail from KRIV- Fox 26 in Houston when this breaks... one way or another.

Leave it to Berman!

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Press conference today... TSU's championship season could be in doubt per TSPN...

A source close to Texas Southern Athletics has confirmed that Johnnie Cole has resigned as the school’s head football coach.

Though no official announcement has been made by TSU, Cole’s resignation is believe to be related to the findings of a completed NCAA investigation that began in 2010.

Cole, lead the struggling TSU football program to its first SWAC Championship in 42 years with a 11-6 win over Alabama State last December.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2011/03/31/breaking-news-johnnie-cole-resigns-from-texas-southern-as-head-football-coach.htm

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Sports Network jumped on the TSPN report...

Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Texas Southern head football coach Johnnie Cole resigned after three seasons, according to a report Thursday.

TSPNSports.com, which covers athletics for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), reported a source close to Texas Southern athletics confirmed Cole's resignation.

Texas Southern did not make an official announcement. Rodney Bush, the university's sports information director, told The Sports Network that he was unaware of a resignation.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4393000

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
Another report... from a former TxSo athlete...

Coach Johnnie Cole has resigned as Head Coach of the TSU Tiger Football team.
Cole stepped down after meeting with the Athletic Administration. After the meeting, the two decided to part ways in the best interests of Cole and TSU.

Cole met with the players on Wednesday where he broke the news to the surprised players. He gave them some of his final words of encouragement and wished them the best of luck next season with their new head coach.

Cole expressed that this was not something that he wanted, but might be in the best interests of all parties involved.

“I would love to stay, but the administration and I decided that it is best that we go our separate ways,” Cole said.

http://randall-newsome.blogspot.com/2011/03/cole-leaves-tsu-football.html

Humble Steward
April 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Texas Southern: We have learned that Texas Southern will promote Kevin Ramsey to interim head coach. Our source tells us that Tremaine Jackson will be promoted to defensive coordinator. We hear a search will take place.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Cole did not resign; he was fired.
Ramsey is not interim head coach.
Jackson will not be moved to DC.

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cole first... SWAC title next?

Texas Southern University football coach Johnnie Cole was fired Friday afternoon in advance of an NCAA report that is expected to detail major violations committed by the program.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Ramsey was elevated to interim head coach, and a permanent replacement will be named after the 2011 season, athletic director Charles McClelland said in a release obtained by the Chronicle.

McClelland was scheduled to meet with the players at 2 p.m. Friday to inform them of the move.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/7502445.html

3rd Coast Tiger
April 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Cole first... SWAC title next?

Nope

lilrj1919
April 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
Nope

Major Violations, how could you be 100% sure?

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2011, 10:34 PM
Major Violations, how could you be 100% sure?

I agree...

If Texas Southern was committing academic fraud and indications are that they were per the Houston Chronicle...

The person said the NCAA report is expected to reveal that Cole played a role in helping some football players receive credit for a course they did not take.

... and those players were part of the SWAC championship team...

Than I hope the SWAC vacates the title.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Bets? Anyone wants to make a wager? Taking all bets?

3rd Coast Tiger
April 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
I agree...

If Texas Southern was committing academic fraud and indications are that they were per the Houston Chronicle...

... and those players were part of the SWAC championship team...

Than I hope the SWAC vacates the title.

Are you sure those players weren't benched prior to the SCG?

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Are you sure those players weren't benched prior to the SCG?

Did those players participate during the course of the regular season, in which Texas Southern earned a berth in the SWAC Championship Game?

Bets? Anyone wants to make a wager? Taking all bets?

You are obviously pretty in the loop on the '3rd Coast', but it is still a pretty embarrassing situation that could conceivably set recruiting back since there are no guarantees that your current head coach returns. Of course, the 'gift' of that new stadium around the corner does help.

mikebigg
April 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
TxSU has made the right move under Mr. McClelland in regard to the dismissal of the violators. Hate to see a guy lose his job, but in the long run it will be good for their program. Ramsey is highly regarded and I personally was impressed with the TxSU defense the past two seasons under Ramsey. I want to see TxSU return to winning football because it's good for the conference.

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Changes continue... some comments on Chron.com are stating there is more to this story... never know what to make of Chron.com (or NOLA.com) comments...

Texas Southern interim football coach Kevin Ramsey said Saturday that associate head coach/quarterbacks coach Daryl Williams has been relieved of his duties.

Ramsey, the defensive coordinator who was named interim coach Friday after former coach Johnnie Cole was released, informed Williams of the move shortly after being promoted by athletic director Charles McClelland.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/7503968.html

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Removing Cole was only choice per this Chronicle writer...

Forget the "among other things." If the NCAA ties Cole to football players' receiving grades for a class they never took — thanks to an exam they never sat for - there is no acceptable excuse.

This might not be a case of throwing Cole under the bus. Cole might have jumped under it himself.

Cole is a heck of a coach, but McClelland made it clear when he was hired that he would not tolerate any breaking of rules. Were he the Ohio State AD, Jim Tressel might be on a job hunt.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7503319.html

3rd Coast Tiger
April 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It was a no brainer to Texas Southern's base that Coach Ramsey dismissed Coach Williams of his services. Williams was Cole's right hand man.

Wish him well in his future.