PDA

View Full Version : Nader Proposes Eliminating Scholarships

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
May of missed this, but this would send shock waves through collegiate athletics.. so many kids would not be going to college that otherwise would of with scholarships...

WASHINGTON -- Consumer advocate Ralph Nader is calling for the elimination of college athletic scholarships, saying the move is necessary to "de-professionalize" college athletes.

"As we near the exciting conclusion of 'March Madness' -- which would more accurately be described as the 2011 NCAA Professional Basketball Championships -- it's time we step back and finally address the myth of amateurism surrounding big-time college football and basketball in this country," said Nader, whose League of Fans is proposing that the scholarships be replaced with need-based financial aid. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the proposal Thursday, ahead of its official release.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6254572&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_MostSent

Skjellyfetti
March 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
It's not going to happen. Just getting his name in the papers.

doolittledog
March 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM
So that's why the former Bucknell coach took the RPI job. All schools are about to become D3xlolx

GannonFan
March 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Of course it's not going to happen. Nader calling this a myth is silly - everyone knows, and is happy to watch, professional college sports. It's not like this is hidden or something. Sure, a few of us, like those on these boards, like to also watch a level of sport that is closer to the student athlete model, aka FCS football, but that's a tiny subset of the sports watching world and many of us like to watch pro college sports almost as much (I know I do).

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM
From Jay Bilas' Twitter account: "Why does the NCAA bother to respond to every crackpot idea like Ralph Nader's? With $11 Billion, NCAA should buy some thicker skin."

Jimmer
March 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Nader is a pubseeking donkey.

Panther88
March 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Nader is a pubseeking donkey.

My goodness. :D xlolxxthumbsupx

Umass74
March 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Nader has been wearing his underwear too tight for years.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Nader has been wearing his underwear too tight for years.

If it weren't for Ralph Nader we'd be asking whether Vanderbilt or Harvard would host President Gore's library.

49RFootballNow
March 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
If it weren't for Ralph Nader we'd be asking whether Vanderbilt or Harvard would host President Gore's library.

Thank God for Ralph Nader! xsmiley_wix

Yeah, he's a little over 100 years too late on this one. The athletics scholarship boat left port a long, long time ago.

Go...gate
March 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I wish the headline read "Scholarships propose the elimination of Ralph Nader"

Isn't it time for him to go home already?

Ivytalk
March 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
It's been all downhill for Nader since the Corvair. Nader doesn't know a football from the crack of his azz.xlolx

TheBisonator
March 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thank God for Ralph Nader! xsmiley_wix

Yup, because those Bush years were wonderful, weren't they?? I mean we only had the worst attack on US soil ever and the worst financial collapse in 75 years under his watch...xrolleyesx

49RFootballNow
March 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yup, because those Bush years were wonderful, weren't they?? I mean we only had the worst attack on US soil ever and the worst financial collapse in 75 years under his watch...xrolleyesx

I know! Just imagine how much worse it would have been if Albert had been pres. We'd probably had surrendered on 9/12 and president Bin Laden would have us on the Euro or Yuan by now. Hyberbole is fun! xsmileyclapx

Jimmer
March 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I wish the headline read "Scholarships propose the elimination of Ralph Nader"

Isn't it time for him to go home already?

I think you meant to say, "isn't it time for him to go to "a home" already.

cmaxwellgsu
March 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I have a way for Nader to be happy on this one: let's just change the name of scholarships to merit based aid. It will suffice the p.c. pansies, and we can still keep sports great.

LBPop
March 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I think we should absolutely eliminate athletic scholarships. We should eliminate need based aid and we should eliminate any other form of scholarship. A college education should be free to everyone! So how do we pay for it? Silly question...we increase taxes, of course. Next will be housing. I think everyone should get a free house. So how do we pay for it? Silly question...xrolleyesx

henfan
March 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I don't see eye-to-eye with Ralph Nader on a several issues and he's being way too idealistic here. That said, Nader, who has some wacky ideas amongst his many good ones, will be remembered as an American hero and tireless proponent of the common good, long after anonymous message board snipers fade into oblivion.

Try to remember Nader with a shred of respect the next time you buckle up the seat belts in your non-exploding car or take a drink of water from your faucet.