PDA

View Full Version : TXST 2006 Schedule

HPCAT
March 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Texas State Announces 2006 Schedule
Six games slated for Bobcat Stadium

Texas State football coach David Bailiff and the Bobcats will face a challenging schedule this fall which includes six home dates.

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/txst-m-footbl-sched.html

March 1, 2006

SAN MARCOS - Six home dates and the university's first game against a Southeastern Conference opponent highlights Texas State's 2006 football schedule released on Wednesday.

"We are excited about the 2006 schedule," said Texas State football coach David Bailiff. "Again, we have six home dates for our fans. I think there is more parity in the Southland Conference than at any time in the history of the league and we have put together a competitive schedule that will challenge us weekly." ...

==Moderator Edited: Please do not post more than a few paragraphs of an article from another website and always include the link==

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Weak schedule...very "fan-friendly" as Teis said...

Bobcats should have no problem doing well out of conference. The road is tough in the SLC, but if the Bobcats win two of three road games, they'll repeat as conference champs...simple as that. Cats should be able to win in San Marcos and be undefeated again this year on Wacker Field...

bobcatfan06
March 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hey "fan-friendly" is what we need. It gets people to the Wack and everyone saw the atmosphere at The Wack last year.

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hey "fan-friendly" is what we need. It gets people to the Wack and everyone saw the atmosphere at The Wack last year.

As long as it doesn't come back to bite you in the tailend...

Obviously, the SLC is a good enough conference where your going against some of the best there is in I-AA, but if you were in a weaker conference, having such a "fan-friendly" conference may bite you back in the playoffs or atleast in trying to secure an at-large bid...

darussian12
March 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
hey TT sorry we werent devistated by the Hurricanes like our LA school and have no need to stack up with three or 2 I-A games...we got the one I-A game which wont be a cake walk but do-able i think and only one D-II game and its not something pointless like panhandle...its a great sched and most of our fans agree and in the great scheme of things a conf champ is what matters so you can get that autobid and not worry about putting your playoff hopes in the hands of some "comittee" ...so if its a weak sched then i guess the rest of the SLC muct be weak which is far from it in my view.

txstatebobcat
March 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM
Personally I think its a great schedule. If we have to play a D-II school, then I rather play one from Texas. Aside from that, one D-II and one D-IA is the best mixture if one can't play an all I-AA schedule.

With the exception of TxSt and maybe SFA(although I don't know how many I-As they are playing), all the SLC schools are going to have .500 or less records going into conference play. This is the number one reason why it wouldn't surprise me if we win the SLC again this upcoming season.

D1B
March 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Personally I think its a great schedule. If we have to play a D-II school, then I rather play one from Texas. Aside from that, one D-II and one D-IA is the best mixture if one can't play an all I-AA schedule.

With the exception of TxSt and maybe SFA(although I don't know how many I-As they are playing), all the SLC schools are going to have .500 or less records going into conference play. This is the number one reason why it wouldn't surprise me if we win the SLC again this upcoming season.

Agree. Good balanced schedule. Texas State was awesome and would have whipped Kentucky's ass last year. If they had that QB back this year, I'd pick em over KY. JMO.

Texas State was the second best team in 1AA, behind UNI. Both will have a national championship soon.

youwouldno
March 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Agree. Good balanced schedule. Texas State was awesome and would have whipped Kentucky's ass last year. If they had that QB back this year, I'd pick em over KY. JMO.

Texas State was the second best team in 1AA, behind UNI. Both will have a national championship soon.

lol, WOW

D1B
March 1st, 2006, 11:33 PM
lol, WOW

Let's hear it.

golionsgo
March 2nd, 2006, 02:27 AM

Bobcats should have no problem doing well out of conference. The road is tough in the SLC, but if the Bobcats win two of three road games, they'll repeat as conference champs...simple as that. Cats should be able to win in San Marcos and be undefeated again this year on Wacker Field...

We aren't gonna roll over and play dead when we go to San Marcos. We played them to double OT at their place in 2004 and we'll have a lot more talent in 2006 than we did then.

TexasTerror
March 2nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

SFA is playing C-USA champion Tulsa and Pac-10 member Arizona...

I think the entire SLC would all have teams with losing records or .500 heading into the SLC. The Bobcats are getting no love from the I-AA faithful and really could prove something to everyone from the SLC to the A10 to the GWFC if they come out of the gates and put some SLC wins on the board early...

kats89
March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM

If they were the second best team they would have been in the national championship game. Don't put the cart before the horse here. Yes Tx State had a great year last year with the help of a talented QB and 27 other seniors. It was one season in 20+ prior losing ones. Don't go overboard here. I think if they would have had to travel in any of the playoff games it would have been a different story. They have a lot to replace this year.

D1B
March 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM
If they were the second best team they would have been in the national championship game. Don't put the cart before the horse here. Yes Tx State had a great year last year with the help of a talented QB and 27 other seniors. It was one season in 20+ prior losing ones. Don't go overboard here. I think if they would have had to travel in any of the playoff games it would have been a different story. They have a lot to replace this year.

Point taken.

I'm of the opinion that the best team doesn't necessarily win the national championship. Just an opinion.

I also don't care about their past. See Georgia Southern.

Saw all three play. Was on the sideline for 2. Still stand behind my statement regarding last year. They have a strong program and may take a step back this year. However if they can maintain some consistency, they have the base (Texas, great coach and fans, school committed to winning, etc.) to become a 1AA powerhouse. Wack was the most exciting home atmosphere I've ever witnessed.

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM

I also agree. Nothing wrong with that schedule.

By the way, your last line is BS:p

MYTAPPY
March 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
I also agree. Nothing wrong with that schedule.

By the way, your last line is BS:p

I agree totally...last line is BS.
We were the best team after all was said and done.
We'll see what happens this year.

Freightliner
March 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM

Not meaning to hijack this thread but...

Tappy did you happen to see the TXST - Appy game in 2004?

I think if not for losing the Semi-Final game, the 05 rematch would have been a WILD one!

carney2
March 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM

What choice is there, really? We talk (more like dream) at this site of Montana @ New Hampshire or Furman @ Cal Poly, but I-AA is not a big revenue proposition and football travel is prohibitively exensive. Besides, Texas is a big place and there aren't that many I-AA possibilities down that way. It seems to me that along the east coast scheduling could - and undoubtedly should in some cases - get a little more aggressive, but west of the Mississippi the pickings are slim and the "fly over" territory is huge.

D1B
March 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Yes you were. Congrats again on a stellar year. You beat a very good team.

HPCAT
March 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
It is almost comical that some of our SLC brethren ridiculed Nealy as being overrated and possibly the 3rd best QB in the SLC, and now it seems the program will fall apart and we can't live without him. :)

The QB transfer from Purdue is a more accurate passer and has about the same speed as Nealy, we will see what happens on the playing field.

For hopefully the last time, 11 of our seniors hardly ever saw the playing field, I am so sick of this 28 Senior crap, like they were all starters and major contributors. Losing 11 Senior starters off a Semi Final team does not make me want to go around shouting the sky is falling.

Especially with the transfers and freshman recruits that can have an immediate mpact. Our best recruit, IMHO, an OL ranked in the top 5 in Texas may start as a freshman. There has already been talk on this board about the RB and WR recruits. We still have 4 out of our top 6 WRs returning ,and our leading rusher. None of these guys started, so there are 3-4 starters on offense filled already.

At any rate, this is good discussion, to fill in the time until at least the spring game. :)

TexasTerror
March 2nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
It is almost comical that some of our SLC brethren ridiculed Nealy as being overrated and possibly the 3rd best QB in the SLC, and now it seems the program will fall apart and we can't live without him. :)

Isn't just SLC folks, you guys are getting lots of "dud" remarks on that other thread about sleepers and duds for next year...and I haven't even laid my thoughts down there...yet... ;)

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Isn't just SLC folks, you guys are getting lots of "dud" remarks on that other thread about sleepers and duds for next year...and I haven't even laid my thoughts down there...yet... ;)

i think you missed the point of the post...I think HPCAT was just saying that all you naysayers on Nealy were proven WRONG (I believe you used the phrase "overrated" and said he was, at best, the THIRD BEST QB IN THE SLC), and it's amazing the difference a year makes (i.e. some guys doubted Nealy could do the job, now everyone's saying we're damned because we don't have him...)

i don't think we'll be a "dud" for one because, outside of McNeese, it's anybody's game in the SLC (and even McNeese's case could be argued). Yes, we will be alot younger next year; but, I doubt we plunge straight to the bottom of the SLC like some are implying.

Then again, i'm perfectly fine sneaking up on everyone again...

back on topic--i like our schedule. we do have a chance to go undefeated at home and, as we all know, that seems to be a HUGE advantage in the SLC. I think we proved last year that we have the ability to win on the road...but, only time will tell. I will say this--I think we will be the least beat up team going into conference. Playing 2-3 Div I-As tend to have physical effects on any lower division team.

So, is SHSU going to win the SLC this year under Savior Whitten, or will we "underachieve" again?