PDA

View Full Version : Full Scholarship Schools Playing 10-Games

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Who is playing less than 11 games this year amongst the full scholarship schools? I'd be curious which schools are doing it this year and their rationale behind it...

I know Alcorn State (http://www.alcornsports.com/news/2011/3/21/FB_0321112902.aspx) is, but the excuse I am getting despite having just two OOC games to schedule, is the late adjustment on the Port City Classic against Grambling... because Alcorn was obviously not Grambling's top choice, but that's what happens when you schedule so late.

LeadBolt
March 22nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Does it count if the 11th game is vs a Div. 2 school? Supposedly created by an FCS team backing out.

WUTNDITWAA
March 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Does it count if the 11th game is vs a Div. 2 school? Supposedly created by an FCS team backing out.

Did Furman back out on Delaware again? xoopsx

Eaglesrus
March 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Coastal Carolina backed out of their game with us a few weeks ago and we got D-II Tusculum to fill the slot. Really not happy about that! Generally I'd be happy about having 6 home games, but not at the expense of not having a game with one of our FCS brethern.

kdinva
March 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM

I'd say "no", 11 games is 11 games.

Miss. Valley St. is playing only 10........again.

http://www.mvsu.edu/athletics/football/schedule.php

kdinva
March 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Coastal Carolina backed out of their game with us a few weeks ago and we got D-II Tusculum to fill the slot. Really not happy about that! Generally I'd be happy about having 6 home games, but not at the expense of not having a game with one of our FCS brethern.
I don't recall such a busy January & February regarding the "adjusting" of schedules. Maryland, I believe, told Towson to move their date for their game or lose the $$$. And Georgia St. followed the cash to U. of Houston, causing CCU to scramble the most.

superman7515
March 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
I don't recall such a busy January & February regarding the "adjusting" of schedules. Maryland, I believe, told Towson to move their date for their game or lose the $$$. And Georgia St. followed the cash to U. of Houston, causing CCU to scramble the most.

I believe that was because ESPN wanted to move one of Maryland's other games. TV runs the BCS schedules, not vice-versa anymore.

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM
I believe that was because ESPN wanted to move one of Maryland's other games. TV runs the BCS schedules, not vice-versa anymore.

ESPN's interest in FBS games was felt all the way down to the Div II level since you had several FCS schools (as noted in this thread) having to add Div II games or move Div II games because the FCS schools' FBS games got switched around...

nwFL Griz
March 23rd, 2011, 08:24 AM

The ACC coupled with ESPN asked Maryland to move their opener with Towson so they could play Miami on Labor Day. Maryland complied, because that is what a good conference mate does.

LeadBolt
March 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure why W&M ended up with New Haven. Heard that Penn backed out.

i would have thought a FCS opponent would have been available...