PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice Award to Honor FCS Freshman of the Year

smallcollegefbfan
March 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
New Jerry Rice Award to Honor FCS Freshman of the Year
March 22, 2011

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/indexpic.htm

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) – The Sports Network, the nation’s premiere real-time source and wire service for sports content, announced today that the outstanding freshman player in the Football Championship Subdivision will be honored each season with the Jerry Rice Award, presented by TSN and sponsored by Fathead.com.

This honor is named for the Hall of Fame wide receiver, acknowledged as one of the greatest players in football history. Rice is joining three other football legends whose names adorn the top individual awards in the FCS (formerly Division I-AA college football): the Walter Payton (FCS outstanding player) and Eddie Robinson (FCS coach of the year) Awards, which are celebrating their 25th anniversaries in 2011, and the Buck Buchanan Award (FCS outstanding defensive player).

"I am truly honored to be a part of the FCS Awards and to be in the company of Walter Payton, Buck Buchanan and Eddie Robinson,” Rice said. “It truly means the world to me and it’s unbelievable to be able to have my legacy live on forever.

“I love to give back and it is amazing to be able to award a deserving freshman based on his accomplishments. I think it’s important to recognize people at all levels for their hard work and dedication.”

kdinva
March 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Very nice, and deserved for Mr. Rice.

Not eligible for this award (in my opinion): A player who goes to a 1-A school for one season, red-shirts that one season, then transfers to and arrives at a 1-AA school labeled as "R-Fr."

Naturally, JUCO's not eligible. They would be classified as a "Newcomer".