PDA

View Full Version : Five Most Difficult Programs To Turn Around?

DFW HOYA
March 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Dartmouth did it. Indiana State, too. And Prairie View's decades of discontent is in the rear view mirror. Are these the next five toughest programs to turn around?

1. Savannah State
(9-34 in last four years)
Pros:

Lots of recruits in Georgia
Joining MEAC this season, opens new areas to recruit

Cons:

Last winning season 1998
Constant turnover: 11 head coaches since 1993
Struggles to compete for in-state recruits
Couldn't win as an independent, can they win consistently in the MEAC?

2. St. Francis
(6-37 last four years)
Pros:
Lots of recruits available in Pennsylvania
Cons:

Last winning season 1992, no winning tradition
10th smallest program in I-AA, geographically isolated
Offers fewer scholarships than other NEC programs
Little visibility in recruiting against other PA schools

3. Idaho State
(6-39 last four years)
Pros:

Winning tradition of football within state
Facility improvements to Holt Arena
Adding 6 scholarships next season

Cons:

Three straight 1-win seasons
Penalized by NCAA for low APR scores
Struggles recruiting locally against Idaho, Boise St.
Still offers less scholarships than other Big Sky schools
Big Sky remains very, very competitive

4. Georgetown
(7-36 last four years)
Pros:

Academic reputation and career opportunities
Location (Washington D.C.)
Big East visibility in other sports

Cons:

Last winning season 1999, struggles for local attention vs. basketball
No permanent football facilities
SAT of 1460/1600 makes it very dificult to admit recruits under PL rules
One-third the budget of most PL schools, can offer very few equivalencies

5. VMI
(11-33 last four years)
Pros:

Tradition
Tremendous alumni loyalty and support
Football has always been a priority

Cons:

Last winning season 1981
Cadet obligations daunting to many recruits
Must account for annual attrition due to cadet commitments
Left SoCon as noncompetitive, still struggling in Big South

Others to add to the list?

blaw0203
March 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Howard University should be added to the list. They have not won a MEAC game in 3 years!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
DFW, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'd add both Howard, North Carolina A&T and Mississippi Valley State to the list before Georgetown. You fail to mention that the Hoyas were in the conversation for the Patriot League title well into the end of the season last year. You could argue they are in the midst of a turnaround, whereas these other three programs are still rock bottom.

Heck, MVSU has "May not keep state funding after massive budget cuts" as a con. That's way more serious that Georgetown's concerns.

Redwyn
March 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
It might also be reasonable to insert programs in power conferences that are squelched yearly, such as Towson, or poorly funded, such as Maine.

While it's hard to build tradition, I'd wager it just as difficult to reverse a program with budget woes in a power conference than a program feeling growing pains in a group with a greater parity (ie Patriot League, MEAC, NEC)

I will admit though, the first two programs I thought of when I saw the title to this post were St. Francis and Georgetown. It's not that Georgetown won't come out competitive occasionally...it's that it's very obvious that the administration just doesn't care.

DFW HOYA
March 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
DFW, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'd add both Howard, North Carolina A&T and Mississippi Valley State to the list before Georgetown. You fail to mention that the Hoyas were in the conversation for the Patriot League title well into the end of the season last year. You could argue they are in the midst of a turnaround, whereas these other three programs are still rock bottom..

I thought about those three as well as Towson, but HBCU's can turn things around in short order (as PVA&M did after years of futility). Howard should be able to recruit the best of the HBCU talent but it struggles institutionally. NC A&T will turn it around with Rod Broadway, so that's why I didn't include them. Mississippi Valley isn't going to merge with Alcorn anytime soon, and just announced a $5.2 million, 5,000 seat addition to its stadium last week, so that's a positive sign. If Towson didn't make the top 5, they're probably #6 or #7.

Georgetown was only in the conversation last year because their PL schedule was heavily front-loaded and they have played most of their PL schedule while other teams were still playing Ivy teams, and I'd be surprised if they weren't picked last again this year in the PL media day in Center Valley. FWIW, in Kevin Kelly's six wins in five years that didn't involve Marist, four were vs. teams either starting the season or within the first three weeks. Winning games in October and November is still a rarity (0-17 since 2006 to teams outside Marist). There's still a lot of work to be done and this year's recruiting class still reflects the prospect of an uphill climb.

Smitty
March 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Almost hate to say this but...

WCU
(6-37 last 4 years)

Pros:

Some alumni loyalty and support
New video board and turf

Cons:

Injuries, depth issues, QB issues, no play makers plague WCU
2010 outscored 119-21
Honestly too many to report at times
Still recovering from low APR score that cost 3 scholarships
Last technically winning season was 2005 5-4

Squealofthepig
March 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
If we use Indiana State as an example of a program that has turned or is turning a program, we can ask, how did they do it?

Indiana State had been the bottom of the MVC for several years - in 2008 and 2009, it won a total of one game (home vs. WIU, another program that is turning around). In 2010, though, it went 6-5, including a road win at YSU. They suddenly went 5-1 at home. How? (I honestly don't know the whole story, but assume it's a combination of recruiting (lots of underclassmen talent), coaching and resurgent fan support. Not sure if there were other administrative pros or other factors.

My guess with turnarounds is that you need an improvement in coaching (combination of on-the-field and recruiting); better talent; parity in scholarships to the teams you're playing; school support; and alumni support. Alumni support helps drive and rolls with the rest, I would assume, but I think the key question for these programs is, how do you get more support from your school to really build a turnaround?

Would love to hear from Sycamores fans to see how they view the success of their last season.

UAalum72
March 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
I think you understate the hole St. Francis has been in: "Last winning season 1992" is actually one of only three winning seasons since restoring football in 1978; during that time were seven winless seasons (one with a tie); the 'geographical isolation' and 'limited visibility' is a result of being only 60 miles from the giant in State College PA, and these reduce the advantage of the amount of talent in Pennsylvania.

The number of scholarships they give is only a guess, though popular speculation.

They have renovated the Pine Bowl/DeGol Field to a level at least comparable to any other venue in the NEC.

I've been rooting for SFU to improve for a long time, but there have only been a few twitches of progress which have so far been unable to be sustained.

PaladinFan
March 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Almost hate to say this but...

WCU
(6-37 last 4 years)

Pros:

Some alumni loyalty and support
New video board and turf

Cons:

Injuries, depth issues, QB issues, no play makers plague WCU
2010 outscored 119-21
Honestly too many to report at times
Still recovering from low APR score that cost 3 scholarships
Last technically winning season was 2005 5-4

Wetern has the ability to turn around. They are just getting buried in a good conference and can't catch a break, it seems.

Eaglesrus
March 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Not exactly sure how much it influences a turn-around in performance, but you could add a fairly major upgrade to their stadium as a "pro" for Savannah State. In fact, they have pretty much leveled what they had and started over, except for the pressbox, which looks odd right now standing there on stilts with no structure under it.

Smitty
March 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Wetern has the ability to turn around. They are just getting buried in a good conference and can't catch a break, it seems.

I totally agree, unfortunately because of those things the program still qualifies for now...

LBPop
March 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
I would suggest another angle on why Georgetown should be high on this list. Among the group mentioned I would say that the Hoyas have done less with more than any school among them. The "Pros" listed by DFW are really excellent selling points, but Georgetown has managed to successfully "overcome" them and maintained a pitiful record. xsmhx

ccd494
March 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Maine.

Yep. Because teams with playoff appearances in the past three years belong on this list. xeyebrowx

JALMOND
March 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Another "pro" for Idaho State is the hiring of Mike Kramer. Kramer knows how to win in the Big Sky, having coached previously at Eastern Washington and Montana State. We will know very quickly this year if ISU suffered with good talent and bad coaching, or no talent and good coaching. Kramer may have less to work with at ISU than he did at both EWU and MSU, but if the Bengals can become winners, Kramer can do it.

Brad82
March 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Maine-no way.
I would give Rhody and Towson consideration, so long as in CAA.

CFBfan
March 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;1614968]Dartmouth did it. Indiana State, too. And Prairie View's decades of discontent is in the rear view mirror. Are these the next five toughest programs to turn around?

how are defining "turn around"?
what has Dartmouth done that qualifies them as a PROGRAM that has "turned it around" ??

CFBfan
March 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=DFW HOYA;1614968]Dartmouth did it. Indiana State, too. And Prairie View's decades of discontent is in the rear view mirror. Are these the next five toughest programs to turn around?

Dartmouth won: 3 games in 2007
0 games in 2008
2 games in 2009
then: 6 games in 2010

after winning 4 games last year if Georgetown wins 5 or 6 this year it will be a "turn around" based on this.......

ngineer
March 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
VMI's last winning season was 1981?!!! Wow. That's some stretch considering their tradition. One wonders if changing conferences is being considered?

Franks Tanks
March 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
VMI's last winning season was 1981?!!! Wow. That's some stretch considering their tradition. One wonders if changing conferences is being considered?

They left their historic home in the Socon less than 10 years ago, and that was an all sports move. I guess the could go PFL for football, but VMI has always had scholarships.

I don't think the would fare much better in the PL in most sports (since they are often considered a potential PL team).

Redhawk2010
March 22nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
I think you can look at Southeast Missouri as another school that has appeared to turn things around. 2010 was only the third winning season at the DI level for the Redhawks/Indians after making the jump in the early 1990s. It was their first conference championship and first appearance in the NCAA playoffs in school history (going back 100 years!). The Redhawks went 2-9 in 2009 and turned in a 9-3 record in 2010.

cmaxwellgsu
March 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
The beatings VMI was taking in the SoCon were relentless. They were mercilessly outgunned before leaving. They at least seem to less buried in the cellar in the Big South. They probably shouldn't, but they will make a turnaround long before Savannah St. The incompetence at SSU is just maddening. With the mess they had last spring, I was surprised they fielded a team. Now they have an OC who has never coached before taking the job. I don't see them doing anything without a proper house cleaning.

ThompsonThe
March 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
The beatings VMI was taking in the SoCon were relentless. They were mercilessly outgunned before leaving. They at least seem to less buried in the cellar in the Big South. They probably shouldn't, but they will make a turnaround long before Savannah St. The incompetence at SSU is just maddening. With the mess they had last spring, I was surprised they fielded a team. Now they have an OC who has never coached before taking the job. I don't see them doing anything without a proper house cleaning.

I wish VMI had never left the SoCon. They were always like The Citadel; you would figure that you would beat them easily and they would up and upset you. Always a tough team to play, just like the Bulldogs. Disciplined, tough and unpredictable.

Bam
March 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I think you can look at Southeast Missouri as another school that has appeared to turn things around. 2010 was only the third winning season at the DI level for the Redhawks/Indians after making the jump in the early 1990s. It was their first conference championship and first appearance in the NCAA playoffs in school history (going back 100 years!). The Redhawks went 2-9 in 2009 and turned in a 9-3 record in 2010.

Was last year a perfect storm or is there a sense of hope in the Cape? xbandwagonx

Model Citizen
March 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Valparaiso.

Yes, the Crusaders won the 2003 PFL championship...a season in which San Diego's on-the-tarmac firing of Kevin McGarry...as USD was boarding a plane for Indiana...played a large role.

Valpo has nonetheless lost 79 games in the last 10 years.

Their second year coach is doing what he can. He has run off a number of players who simply can't hack it in college football. Others jumped ship on their own. Spring numbers are barely enough for two-deep. Remaining freshmen and redshirt freshmen will be given the keys to the castle.

Short of importing the entire Nebraska-Omaha roster, how can they quickly acquire talented players? Saving grace might be getting Jacksonville off the schedule for the next two years. Triple digit losses might have been possible.

IaaScribe
March 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
They left their historic home in the Socon less than 10 years ago, and that was an all sports move. I guess the could go PFL for football, but VMI has always had scholarships.

I don't think the would fare much better in the PL in most sports (since they are often considered a potential PL team).

No way the Big South would let VMI leave for football and stay for all other sports.

aceinthehole
March 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
I think you understate the hole St. Francis has been in: "Last winning season 1992" is actually one of only three winning seasons since restoring football in 1978; during that time were seven winless seasons (one with a tie); the 'geographical isolation' and 'limited visibility' is a result of being only 60 miles from the giant in State College PA, and these reduce the advantage of the amount of talent in Pennsylvania.

The number of scholarships they give is only a guess, though popular speculation.

They have renovated the Pine Bowl/DeGol Field to a level at least comparable to any other venue in the NEC.

I've been rooting for SFU to improve for a long time, but there have only been a few twitches of progress which have so far been unable to be sustained.

SFU may be the toughest, because they are the only program DFW listed that is TRYING, and doing everything they can to turn it around.

1) They have invested in the facilities (new field and filedhosue w/ weightroom). It may be small and not extremly fan friendly, but the new turf is top quality for the players.

2) They hired good, young coaches. Dave Opar was a class act. He improved recruiting greatly and had competative teams, he just could not win. After losing his wife and stepping down, they hired a nother great young coach. He is also doing a great job, but so far the W/L record doesn't show it.

3) They have invested in schollys. Sure, they don't offer 63 (NEC limit is 34), but schollys are huge. Not sure how many they offer, but even with 2 dozen they should be able to compete in FCS, especially in the NEC and against PFL, and certain PL teams.

I wish them well, but this looks like a tough, tough job for anybody.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
I stopped in Loretto and looked at St. Francis and their stadium during my Pittsburgh trip last Sept. My first reaction was how do they get kids to go to this small parochial school? It was such a small town in a very remote location (10+ miles off US 22 IIRC and then even farther back to Altoona once on US 22). The football field was nice enough, small stands but so is the school. I will admit to being jealous because they had lights!! I can understand why this would be a difficult program to turn around even with all the talent in PA.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/UNH_Alum_In_CT/FCS%20Stadiums/100_0751-1.jpg http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/UNH_Alum_In_CT/FCS%20Stadiums/100_0752-1.jpg http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/UNH_Alum_In_CT/FCS%20Stadiums/100_0750-1.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 23rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
JMHO, but Towson should not be a difficult re-build. Unitas Stadium is very nice. The other facilities seem first rate. They're close to to multiple good HS recruiting areas. They have a nice suburban location close to a vibrant town center and with Baltimore not that far away.

aceinthehole
March 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I stopped in Loretto and looked at St. Francis and their stadium during my Pittsburgh trip last Sept. My first reaction was how do they get kids to go to this small parochial school? It was such a small town in a very remote location (10+ miles off US 22 IIRC and then even farther back to Altoona once on US 22). The football field was nice enough, small stands but so is the school. I will admit to being jealous because they had lights!! I can understand why this would be a difficult program to turn around even with all the talent in PA.

I think small and remote are the 2 factors that just can't be overcome.

According to the most recent USDOE report, they have just 1,588 FT undergrads (632 male), yet they spend $1.4 million on football.

Georgetown, has more than 3,000 FT male undegraduates, world-class academics, an accesable and metropolitan loaction in DC, and spends the same amount on football as St. Francis.

The job in Loretto is by far the toughest in the nation because they punch way above their weight class and have made serious and measurable improvements to the program over the last decade, but they have NOTHING to show for it on the field. SFPA should be a D-III school, yet they have continued to fund a D-I athletic program on par with much bigger programs. It's an uphill battle they will likely never win, but I recspect them for continuing commitiment and efforts at this level.

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM

how are defining "turn around"?
what has Dartmouth done that qualifies them as a PROGRAM that has "turned it around"??

Dartmouth "turned it around" by watering down their schedule, in prominent part.

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
SFU may be the toughest, because they are the only program DFW listed that is TRYING, and doing everything they can to turn it around.

1) They have invested in the facilities (new field and filedhosue w/ weightroom). It may be small and not extremly fan friendly, but the new turf is top quality for the players.

2) They hired good, young coaches. Dave Opar was a class act. He improved recruiting greatly and had competative teams, he just could not win. After losing his wife and stepping down, they hired a nother great young coach. He is also doing a great job, but so far the W/L record doesn't show it.

3) They have invested in schollys. Sure, they don't offer 63 (NEC limit is 34), but schollys are huge. Not sure how many they offer, but even with 2 dozen they should be able to compete in FCS, especially in the NEC and against PFL, and certain PL teams.

I wish them well, but this looks like a tough, tough job for anybody.

I have a soft spot on my heart for St. Francis. A couple of law school classmates went there and just loved the place. They are apparantly not a wealthy school but have very loyal alumni. I hope they hang in there.

App-a-latch-un
March 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Valparaiso.

Yes, the Crusaders won the 2003 PFL championship...a season in which San Diego's on-the-tarmac firing of Kevin McGarry...as USD was boarding a plane for Indiana...played a large role.

Valpo has nonetheless lost 79 games in the last 10 years.

Their second year coach is doing what he can. He has run off a number of players who simply can't hack it in college football. Others jumped ship on their own. Spring numbers are barely enough for two-deep. Remaining freshmen and redshirt freshmen will be given the keys to the castle.

Short of importing the entire Nebraska-Omaha roster, how can they quickly acquire talented players? Saving grace might be getting Jacksonville off the schedule for the next two years. Triple digit losses might have been possible.

Yea I'd say Valpo's at the top of the list.

Sader87
March 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Holy Cross

con: the Patriot League

Franks Tanks
March 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Holy Cross

Yet you have only won the PL title one time since 1991. PL membership may be an excuse when comparing to CAA schools, but how can you blame PL membership for your relative lack of success in the league over the last 2 decades?

kdinva
March 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I wish VMI had never left the SoCon. They were always like The Citadel; you would figure that you would beat them easily and they would up and upset you. Always a tough team to play, just like the Bulldogs. Disciplined, tough and unpredictable.

with 6 years of hindsite in the mirror..........me, too.

Redhawk2010
March 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Was last year a perfect storm or is there a sense of hope in the Cape? xbandwagonx

I don't expect the Redhawks to win 9 games again next year, but I do think they will be more competitive than they have in the past.

Lots of changes taking place in Cape right now as the Redhawks have two new coaches. Our OC from last year left for New Mexico. That meant our DC made the jump to OC and they have hired a new DC. Also, our defensive backs coach left for Central Arkansas and I noticed they announced his replacement yesterday.

Supposed to get new FieldTurf, new lights, and new scoreboard before the beginning of the 2011 season. The scoreboard was supposed to be done 3 years ago and they've talked about the turf for a few years as well. We'll see what happens..

Lots of seniors on last year's team, but I think they have built a foundation for the younger guys to step in and continue to build. There's optimism in the area. They just re-signed Coach Samuel to a 5-year deal and I think many of the fans are happy that the old OC is gone.

Bam
March 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I don't expect the Redhawks to win 9 games again next year, but I do think they will be more competitive than they have in the past.

Lots of changes taking place in Cape right now as the Redhawks have two new coaches. Our OC from last year left for New Mexico. That meant our DC made the jump to OC and they have hired a new DC. Also, our defensive backs coach left for Central Arkansas and I noticed they announced his replacement yesterday.

Supposed to get new FieldTurf, new lights, and new scoreboard before the beginning of the 2011 season. The scoreboard was supposed to be done 3 years ago and they've talked about the turf for a few years as well. We'll see what happens..

Lots of seniors on last year's team, but I think they have built a foundation for the younger guys to step in and continue to build. There's optimism in the area. They just re-signed Coach Samuel to a 5-year deal and I think many of the fans are happy that the old OC is gone.

Cool. It would be nice if the OVC can get some programs going in the right direction & make a d*mn run in the PO's. xbangx

jmufan999
March 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yep. Because teams with playoff appearances in the past three years belong on this list. xeyebrowx

i'm with you there... no one in the CAA takes Maine lightly, although i know fans from other conferences do. you especially don't mess around on the road, it can always be a trap game even if Maine is doing well. just never seem to get the respect they deserve.

overall, a good list... i can see towson as an option but they improved SLIGHTLY last year. definitely wouldn't put them in the top 5. rhode island beat UNH this year (i think) so i wouldn't put them on the list either. just my opinion on the CAA side of things.

whoanellie
March 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM
with 6 years of hindsite in the mirror..........me, too. Yep , We got the better of that swap...

downbythebeach
March 29th, 2011, 10:19 AM
A problem that St. Francis has always had is lack of depth. They can get some really good, quality FCS players, but not a lot of them. It seems like whenever a player goes down the backup is many times a Freshman.
The game day atmosphere is one of the worst in the country. We get about 1,000 people a game outside of homecoming which probably gets double that. It rains literally every saturday in Loretto,PA during football season. It gets cold (freezing/snowing) early in the year up in the mountains, and also there is not much else to entertain other than the games. Where U Montana has a skydiving bear, we have a fire truck that blows its siren after a touchdown......its hard to compare.
They made a really good hire at head coach though last year, and have improved facilities tremendously.

henfan
March 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Indiana State & Savannah State should be at the top of any list. While they've had a recent playoff appearance (well, 2007), Delaware State is definitely on the downward trajectory. The fact that the school seems to have reverted back to neglecting athletics with the recent change of administration & coaches (really bad move getting rid of Lavan!) is not a good sign that the Hornets will be returning to respectability any time soon.

aceinthehole
March 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM
A problem that St. Francis has always had is lack of depth. They can get some really good, quality FCS players, but not a lot of them. It seems like whenever a player goes down the backup is many times a Freshman.
The game day atmosphere is one of the worst in the country. We get about 1,000 people a game outside of homecoming which probably gets double that. It rains literally every saturday in Loretto,PA during football season. It gets cold (freezing/snowing) early in the year up in the mountains, and also there is not much else to entertain other than the games. Where U Montana has a skydiving bear, we have a fire truck that blows its siren after a touchdown......its hard to compare.
They made a really good hire at head coach though last year, and have improved facilities tremendously.

Saint Francis has done everything to improve what they can control directly - recruit quality players, hire good coaches, invest in facilities, etc..

The problem is they can't fix their rural location, crappy weather, tiny enrollment/alumni, etc. I really have a soft spot for them, both as a conference member and a quality Catholic insitution, but they are in a no-win situation at the Division I level in most sports.

I think the goal has to be a winning season (6-5) and turn out good student/athletes - that alone is a huge accomplsihment for their program - because championships are pretty much out of the question in football.

Sycamore51
April 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
If we use Indiana State as an example of a program that has turned or is turning a program, we can ask, how did they do it?

Indiana State had been the bottom of the MVC for several years - in 2008 and 2009, it won a total of one game (home vs. WIU, another program that is turning around). In 2010, though, it went 6-5, including a road win at YSU. They suddenly went 5-1 at home. How? (I honestly don't know the whole story, but assume it's a combination of recruiting (lots of underclassmen talent), coaching and resurgent fan support. Not sure if there were other administrative pros or other factors.

My guess with turnarounds is that you need an improvement in coaching (combination of on-the-field and recruiting); better talent; parity in scholarships to the teams you're playing; school support; and alumni support. Alumni support helps drive and rolls with the rest, I would assume, but I think the key question for these programs is, how do you get more support from your school to really build a turnaround?

Would love to hear from Sycamores fans to see how they view the success of their last season.

ISU started from scratch when Trent Miles came in. He is a Terre Haute native and played at ISU in the 80's when they were #1 in the country for a while. He brought in a top notch coaching staff and played a ton of Freshman his first few years. Last year we were still very young, only 5-6 total seniors I think, but had a ton of experience. He had support from the AD and Pres to build slowly and not have to make a quick fix. This year will be tough with Penn St and WKU on the schedule and only 4 conf home games though, but we bring nearly everybody back.

DetroitFlyer
April 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Saint Francis has done everything to improve what they can control directly - recruit quality players, hire good coaches, invest in facilities, etc..

The problem is they can't fix their rural location, crappy weather, tiny enrollment/alumni, etc. I really have a soft spot for them, both as a conference member and a quality Catholic insitution, but they are in a no-win situation at the Division I level in most sports.

I think the goal has to be a winning season (6-5) and turn out good student/athletes - that alone is a huge accomplsihment for their program - because championships are pretty much out of the question in football.

For an SFUP it is all about the coach.... Look at San Diego. When Jim Harbaugh was there they were awesome. Now, they are just another PFL program that is lucky to play .500 ball. I think that Chris V. can turn SFUP around. I understand that it is hard to be patient given the number of years that SFUP has been trying to turn things around, but I think Chris will get er done.

DFW HOYA
April 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Of the 5 schools originally mentioned (Savannah State, St. Francis, Idaho State, Georgetown, VMI), which one turns it around first, and why?

aceinthehole
April 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Of the 5 schools originally mentioned (Savannah State, St. Francis, Idaho State, Georgetown, VMI), which one turns it around first, and why?

Savannah State - The MEAC is much more cyclical than most conferences.

cmaxwellgsu
April 5th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Savannah State - The MEAC is much more cyclical than most conferences.

They should, but they are the anti-Saint Francis. While they have the location, they have an administration and athletics dept. whose strength is shooting themselves in the foot. There are some serious firings that need to be done for them to be successful.

App-a-latch-un
April 5th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Oh boy! Looking forward to playing Savannah State this fall more and more! xsmhx

Eaglesrus
April 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Oh boy! Looking forward to playing Savannah State this fall more and more! xsmhx

That game will be interesting, at least until kickoff. To be fair I think that App State should offer to only play defense. In that case I'd expect y'all to win by no more than 2 TDs.

deepsouth
May 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Given Savannah States history of not keeping a coach for more than two years; why would that trend change now! President's contract not renewed, so a new President might want his own coach and not the one there. Also look at the number of Athletic Directors that have come and gone over the last 5 years; Tony O'Neil, Paula Jackson, Bart Bellairs, and now Marilynn Suggs. No chance to turn things around when you are always changing the people in charge!

Tribal
May 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
i'm with you there... no one in the CAA takes Maine lightly, although i know fans from other conferences do. you especially don't mess around on the road, it can always be a trap game even if Maine is doing well. just never seem to get the respect they deserve.

I agree. No CAA fan underestimates Maine or Rhody. Maine had W&M on the ropes last season and it took a miracle late in the 4th for the Tribe to leave with a W. If I had to pick a CAA team, I'd say Towson. I can't figure Towson out...they play in the CAA and they should be able to recruit well in the Baltimore area. Weird.