PDA

View Full Version : Predict the 2006 Sleepers and Duds

Mr. Tiger
March 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Mr. Tiger will make an attempt to predict the No. 1 sleeper and No. 1dud for the 2006 Division I-AA football season. A sleeper is a team that may not be in the preseason Top 10, but when the playoffs start they will be a major player. A dud is a team that will probably occupy a spot in the preseason Top 10 or 15, but will fall flat on its face.

No. 1 Sleeper
1. Illinois State -- Quarterback Luke Drone returns with his 2,930 passing yards and 22 TD passes from last season and he has his favorite target Laurent Robinson who caught 86 passes for over 1,400 yards. Looking at the stats, last year's results, and the fact the Redbirds didn't lose many seniors, Illinois State is my No. 1 sleeper. 10-1 is very possible.

Other sleepers
James Madison, UC Davis, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State. And in my beloved SWAC, Jackson State and Southern.

No. 1 Dud
1. Texas State -- Will most likely be ranked in the Top 10, but after losing Nealy and a few players on defense I just don't see how Texas State will win the Southland this year. The added pressure of repeating last season's success on the shoulders of anyone following Nealy will be a hard task.

Other possible duds
Georgia Southern and Montana State. And in my beloved SWAC, Grambling State (tough schedule: Hampton, Houston, Miss. Valley on road, improved Southern team and JSU)

Cap'n Cat
March 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Mr. Tiger will make an attempt to predict the No. 1 sleeper and No. 1dud for the 2006 Division I-AA football season. A sleeper is a team that may not be in the preseason Top 10, but when the playoffs start they will be a major player. A dud is a team that will probably occupy a spot in the preseason Top 10 or 15, but will fall flat on its face.

No. 1 Sleeper
1. Illinois State -- Quarterback Luke Drone returns with his 2,930 passing yards and 22 TD passes from last season and he has his favorite target Laurent Robinson who caught 86 passes for over 1,400 yards. Looking at the stats, last year's results, and the fact the Redbirds didn't lose many seniors, Illinois State is my No. 1 sleeper. 10-1 is very possible.

Other sleepers
James Madison, UC Davis, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State. And in my beloved SWAC, Jackson State and Southern.

No. 1 Dud
1. Texas State -- Will most likely be ranked in the Top 10, but after losing Nealy and a few players on defense I just don't see how Texas State will win the Southland this year. The added pressure of repeating last season's success on the shoulders of anyone following Nealy will be a hard task.

Other possible duds
Georgia Southern and Montana State. And in my beloved SWAC, Grambling State (tough schedule: Hampton, Houston, Miss. Valley on road, improved Southern team and JSU)

Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Missouri State. Former UNI Coach Terry Allen WILL turn that place around. Lots of excitement in Springfield.

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

Youngstown State. Melwing about alleged playoff snub hides gross inadequacies. Schedule too tough to win more than five games.

Others: Montana (end of an era); Southern Illinois (fifteen minutes are up)

:)

colgate13
March 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Sleeper:

Elon. Lembo gets the troops winning sooner rather than later (but let's be realistic. It won't be 10-1; maybe 6-5.) Still a huge improvement!

Dud:

JMU. 2004 was the only year they won more than 8 games since 1994's 10-3 season. They're 39-33 since 2000 for an average of 6 1/2 wins a season. Take out the NC year and they're 26-31. Right now they seem to be a 'once a decade kind of team'.

WMTribe90
March 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM
I can really only speak for the A10.

Sleeper

Villanova. Based primarily on the fact they are way past due.

Dud

Richmond. Expectations are too high after last year and loss of Tutt. Defense will be tough, but a rookie QB will really have to step up for UR's offense to flourish.

I think your JMU prediction is one year away, though I'd love it if you were right. Rascati is a proven leader at QB wth one year left. After this year JMU will have to replace its best skill players at QB and RB in 2007, but 2006 should be a playoff caliber team.

MACHIAVELLI
March 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Other possible duds
And in my beloved SWAC, Grambling State (tough schedule: Hampton, Houston, Miss. Valley on road, improved Southern team and JSU)

Just asking......
Why would JSU be a tough team for ICON/Grambling? How has Southern improved?

SunCoastBlueHen
March 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Sleeper - Delaware - Why? Because I'm a freakin' homer.

Dud - UNH - Why? Because teams that are favored to win the A-10 never do. UNH will certainly be the favorite.

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM
UNH was the favorite last year!

MYTAPPY
March 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
As for the SoCon:

Sleeper:
Chattanooga and WCU. The Mocs have the offense to put some points on the board and Westerns defense will be better.

Duds:
Elon and Wofford. Sorry Elon, Lembo is a good catch but you still need some work done. As for Wofford, I just don't see you bettering last years record.

Just my opinion though.

SunCoastBlueHen
March 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
UNH was the favorite last year!

My bad, then. I thought UMASS was picked to win the north last year?

I'm still picking UHN as my "dud" though. UNH will have a bullseye on their back this year and with the parity of the A-10, you guys are gonna loose a couple.

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM
You were partially right, UNH was a co #1 with Massachusetts

North Division
1. New Hampshire (14)
UMass (12)
3. Hofstra (4)
4. Maine
5. Northeastern
6. Rhode Island

South Division
1. James Madison (16)
2. Delaware (6)
3. William & Mary (6)
4. Villanova (2)
5. Richmond
6. Towson

None the less UNH was still a favorite and did win it.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/football/20052006/080305.shtml

fuEMO
March 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'll stick to the SoCon

Sleepers
The Citadel (They will be competitive, I like their new coach but their schedule is brutal)
Furman (If Gray is the real deal running the option, look out, defense will be vastly improved, example APP defense in 05)
Western (They could be good, but I expect payback in Gville, plus the Cats are mentally weak)
GSU (No one knows what to expect, the biggest question mark in the SoCon, but still the best athletes)
UTC (I'm still not sold on the program)
Elon (Solid new coach but he will be competing at a different level)

Duds
Wofford (The only good news for Woffy is they might be the only team that runs a bone offense in the SoCon)
UTC (I'm still not sold on the program)
APP (They play well with a chip on their shoulder, but what happens when they are the hunted)
GSU (No one knows what to expect, the biggest question mark in the SoCon, but still the best athletes)
Elon (Solid new coach but he will be competing at a different level)
Furman (is Gray the man to take us to the promise land?)

Mr. Tiger
March 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Just asking......
Why would JSU be a tough team for ICON/Grambling? How has Southern improved?

In due time, you will find out. Jackson State's team will be completely different next season, from the coaches to players. Southern returns QB Joseph Lewis and had a young team last year. This isn't the smack board so all I have to say is in 2004 Grambling was 6-5 without Eugene, including a loss to Jackson State who was coached by THE WORST COACH IN DIVISION I-AA HISTORY. There will be no Eugene in 2006. And Grambling lost three seniors on the offensive line.

UNH 40
March 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
My bad, then. I thought UMASS was picked to win the north last year?

I'm still picking UHN as my "dud" though. UNH will have a bullseye on their back this year and with the parity of the A-10, you guys are gonna loose a couple.

You're right there is a lot of parity in the league and it is very tough to go undefeated in the A-10. UNH may lose a game or two but they will finish in first place. They have the 2 best players in the country, a good o-line, and some unknown players that will surprise some people. Their pass defense will be better and run D will be good. UNH is hands down the best team in this league and they are continuing to build on their recent success.

colgate13
March 1st, 2006, 02:27 PM

I think your JMU prediction is one year away, though I'd love it if you were right. Rascati is a proven leader at QB wth one year left. After this year JMU will have to replace its best skill players at QB and RB in 2007, but 2006 should be a playoff caliber team.

That's why I'm putting the 'dud' marker on them. There will be high expectations. If they flop in 2007, you can point to the losses to graduation...

Tod
March 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Sleeper - Idaho State.

Dud - Texas State

MACHIAVELLI
March 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
In due time, you will find out. Jackson State's team will be completely different next season, from the coaches to players. Southern returns QB Joseph Lewis and had a young team last year. This isn't the smack board so all I have to say is in 2004 Grambling was 6-5 without Eugene, including a loss to Jackson State who was coached by THE WORST COACH IN DIVISION I-AA HISTORY. There will be no Eugene in 2006. And Grambling lost three seniors on the offensive line.

I totally understand that this is your opinion but....
So you expect those totally different players and coaches, the majority whom have never played together before to be successful in 2006. I can see our point any improvement from Jackson is better than last year. I know you are putting your hopes and dreams into Comegy as well you should. You forgot to mention that the 2004 team that went 6-5 was had a brand new receiving corps and a freshman QB that ultimately made SWAC Freshman of the year. We were a few plays from being 8-3. FYI We lost three starters (Harris and Abney)at wide receiver and all american Tramon Douglas from the 2003 team. Two of those wide receiver starters from 2004 caught over 1,000 yards in passing each and 29 TD's between them. Please name the 3 o-line starters we lost. Is that the same Southern team that beat Jackson by all of 7 points in 2005. Did you even bother to research who we are returning or are you basing everything of the fact that Bruce "Almighty" isn't returning. We are returning our runningbacks, TE, Wide receivers, the bulk of our o-line and a QB that had a chance to learn our system better. BTW we only lose 3 full time starters on defense. You forgot all of the coaches, wide receivers, runningbacks, o-line, d-line players that Southern is losing or lost. Oh well, just trying to add some facts to your opinion.

Ronbo
March 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Missouri State. Former UNI Coach Terry Allen WILL turn that place around. Lots of excitement in Springfield.

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

Youngstown State. Melwing about alleged playoff snub hides gross inadequacies. Schedule too tough to win more than five games.

The only end to our era in I-AA is when we move up. We'll be better than ever this year. Some are saying better than 95-96. Every skill player back, 46 lettermen, and the entire Defense back. Add a Pac 10 QB and receiver to the mix and oh boy, you don't want to play us. We'll be way better than last years 8-4 team. Here's a prediction if Montana plays UNI, 38-0.

==Moderator Edited: Please do not post personal smack==

dbackjon
March 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM
My Sleeper - NAU!

Cap'n Cat
March 1st, 2006, 04:45 PM
The only end to our era in I-AA is when we move up. We'll be better than ever this year. Some are saying better than 95-96. Every skill player back, 46 lettermen, and the entire Defense back. Add a Pac 10 QB and receiver to the mix and oh boy, you don't want to play us. We'll be way better than last years 8-4 team. Here's a prediction if Montana plays UNI, 38-0.

Blah, blah, blah. Wishful thinking.

They're cooked. Youngstown Disease wafts west to Missoula.

blur2005
March 1st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm...Montana will be good. I have no doubt about that.

And JMU will make the playoffs this year. If the Dukes don't...that will be a shock for me, considering the experience this team got last year losing lots of close games. With most of the team back, I just can't see being worse than last year.

catamount man
March 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
SoCon speaking:
Sleeper- The Citadel (for some reason, I really think Higgins can put them on the map)

Dud- Elon (more fire, but mentally, that program has a long way to go. Paul Hamilton ruined them)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

leatherneck177
March 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Sleeper: Stephen F. Austin

Dud: Southern Illinois

wannabegaucho
March 1st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Sleeper: North Dakota State. They seem to be overlooked by Cal Poly in our conference.

eagle1
March 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Sleeper: Big Sky - Weber State/ National - Delaware

Dud: Big Sky - Portland State/ National - Southern Illinois

Go Eagles!!!

hawkineer
March 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Sleeper - Pete Lembo (Sorry Elon, You'll never know he's even awake).

Still dancin'

mainejeff
March 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Sleepers:

Colgate
Delaware
Maine
Missouri State

Duds:

Texas State
Southern Illinois
Montana

colgate13
March 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
And JMU will make the playoffs this year. If the Dukes don't...that will be a shock for me, considering the experience this team got last year losing lots of close games. With most of the team back, I just can't see being worse than last year.

Hmmm... experience in losing games. How's that translate into playoffs again? :D

foghorn
March 1st, 2006, 08:23 PM
Sleeper- Those Fight'n Hens. Experienced and deep O-line will carry them early to give Flacco and co. a chance to develop as season progresses.
Dud - UNH. I'm following Suncoast's lead saying that they'll have that proverbial 'bull's-eye' on their back and get 'nailed' a few times. 9/30/06 willl be a day of reckoning for UNH as they face the hungry chickens and a wild crowd. UNH will be a false favorite in that game......... maybe not!

FargoBison
March 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Sleeper- UC Davis, they had a good year last year but I think this is the year that they will break out on to the national IAA scene. Weber State and Illinois State are two other teams that could have a break out year as well.

Dud- SIU and Texas State, both of these teams lost a lot and especially in Texas State's case they will probably be overated at the begining of the season.

griz&beer
March 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Sleepers:

Colgate
Delaware
Maine
Missouri State

Duds:

Texas State
Southern Illinois
Montana

Duds.? Why Montana.

bobcatfan06
March 1st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Looks like everyone is writing us off again. Fine with me, look what happened last year.

Ronbo
March 1st, 2006, 09:49 PM
It's funny the high expectations Montana gets. If we end up 8-4 or 9-3 and lose in the 1st or 2nd rounds we're duds.

mainejeff
March 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Duds.? Why Montana.

Because they're the "sexy" pick ;) .

Actually, I just feel that the rest of I-AA has caught up to them a bit especially with the rise of the new I-AAs in California. I think that you lost lost a great coach a few years ago.

golionsgo
March 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
Watch out for the Lions!!! I got a pretty good feeling we're gonna be good in 2006.

WCU LawCat
March 1st, 2006, 10:46 PM
Sleepers

Nichols
SELA
WCU (Is it not obvious?)
Citadel (its coming)
Gardner Webb
Charleston Southern
Jackson St
McNeese
Sam Houston (have I mentioned the entire Southland yet?)
Lafayette

Duds

Tex. St
Montana
Hampton (until they PLAY SOMEONE!)
Wofford

I'll add to the list after I study the A-10 a little

youwouldno
March 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Sleeper: William & Mary. Very odd season last year... clearly showed a lot of upside, but also a lot of downside.

#2: SC State. I really like the talent they've added the last couple years, and as those guys get on the field with returning veterans, I think they can be pretty good.

Dud: Montana State. Loses their whole passing game and really wasn't that great an offense even in 2005.

#2: GSU. What's funny about everyone talking offensive changes is that offense won't be their #1 problem. The triple option, I don't care what some people say-- it helps the defense. It eats up clock. Plus GSU loses some key defenders off an already mediocre unit.

note: I didn't include Texas St as a dud because most people, except TX St fans, think they will be mediocre at best. TX St fans, who I have nothing against, are also revising history. A LOT of people noted the experience TX St had going into 2005 and predicted good things. TX St loses everybody and has no proven ability to reload.

I think there is a near-zero chance TX St makes the playoffs in 2006. If they belong in a category, it would be "sleeper," in that they could get lucky and snag an SLC autobid if the conference is weak overall.

JDC325
March 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM
It's funny the high expectations Montana gets. If we end up 8-4 or 9-3 and lose in the 1st or 2nd rounds we're duds.

Thats what happens when your good. I would take it as a compliment most of the posters would like to have half the success Montana has had. Their is only a few schools were 8-4 is a disasterous season most others would love just to have a winning record.

Sleeper
WCU or GSU
Dud
Elon or GSU

I am hoping to be a sleeper Coach is a defensive guru and if this new offense has some success we should be fine.

D1B
March 1st, 2006, 11:36 PM
Sleeper - Missouri State

Dud - GA Southern

Ronbo
March 2nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
Blah, blah, blah. Wishful thinking.

They're cooked. Youngstown Disease wafts west to Missoula.

Read this and weep Cappy. Our dud football program makes 3.42 times more revenue than your football program and was over $1.7 million in the black. Your program lost $527,000.

2005 University of Montana Revenues

.......................Men's Teams......... Women's Teams.............. Total
Basketball..........$1,257,864................ $927,749............. $2,185,613
Football........ ....$5,834,632.................................... .........$5,834,632
Total Revenues of all Sports, except football and basketball, combined
............................$315,792.............. ..$1,201,193............$1,516,985
Total Revenues...$7,408,288................$2,128,942... .......$9,537,230
Not allocated by gender/sport...........................................$5 ,239,587
Grand Total Revenues.......................................... ...........$14,776,817

Expenses

............................Men's Teams........... Women's Teams....... Total
Basketball .............$1,098,836..................$949,428. .........$2,048,264
Football.................$4,062,164 ...........................................$4,062, 164
Total Expenses of all Sports, except football and basketball, combined
................................$450,787.......... ......$1,716,939.........$2,167,726
Total Expenses....$5,611,787..................$2,666,367 .........$8,278,154
Not allocated by gender............................................ .......$3,845,289
Grand Total Expenses.......................................... ...........$12,123,443

2005 University of Northern Iowa Revenues

Football.......$1,704,388......................... .......$1,704,388

Grand Total Revenues..................................$13,714, 936

Expenses

Football.......................................... ............$2,231,739

Grand Total Expenses..................................$13,714, 936

We may be duds that are wishfully thinking but we are makin' money.

Source:

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Search.asp

kats89
March 2nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
Sleeper: Stephen F. Austin

Dud: Southern Illinois

Lumberjacks have been sleeping for years and I don't see this year being any different.

kats89
March 2nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Looks like everyone is writing us off again. Fine with me, look what happened last year.

You lost 28 seniors and your star QB. Who is your next Nealy? Who is your next Fred Evans? You lost several receivers too. Not trash talking here, just a simple observation.

bluehenbillk
March 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM
For the A-10:

Sleepers: Maine

Duds: JMU

ncbears
March 2nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
My pick for the Big Sky:

Sleeper: PSU

DUD: Montana

Pards Rule
March 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=WCU LawCat]Sleepers

Nichols
SELA
WCU (Is it not obvious?)
Citadel (its coming)
Gardner Webb
Charleston Southern
Jackson St
McNeese
Sam Houston (have I mentioned the entire Southland yet?)
Lafayette

YES!!! GO PARDS....Hopefully we can make another trip to Boone. Would like to be able to go especially since my deal in Asheville, NC is now open and I would like to see it!

TypicalTribe
March 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Can we make it a rule that a "sleeper" can't be a defending conference champion or a team expected to be ranked in the top 15?

I have no idea how Delaware can be a sleeper when I think we all expect them to be pretty good.

Mr. Tiger
March 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
I totally understand that this is your opinion but....
So you expect those totally different players and coaches, the majority whom have never played together before to be successful in 2006. I can see our point any improvement from Jackson is better than last year. I know you are putting your hopes and dreams into Comegy as well you should. You forgot to mention that the 2004 team that went 6-5 was had a brand new receiving corps and a freshman QB that ultimately made SWAC Freshman of the year. Did you even bother to research who we are returning or are you basing everything of the fact that Bruce "Almighty" isn't returning. We are returning our runningbacks, TE, Wide receivers, the bulk of our o-line and a QB that had a chance to learn our system better. BTW we only lose 3 full time starters on defense. You forgot all of the coaches, wide receivers, runningbacks, o-line, d-line players that Southern is losing or lost. Oh well, just trying to add some facts to your opinion.

You want FACTS. I'll give you FACTS. Grambling loses offensive linemen Jonathan Banks, Charles Wilson, Tommy Dural, and Derrek Governor. And loses a very underrated starting running back in Ab Kuuan. On defense, Grambling loses the fantastic Jason Hatcher, DT Jimmy Zachary, and DE Matt Duhe. And Grambling loses some players in the secondary. Not to mention Eugene who accounted for 28.9 ppg. Grambling was deep, but how do you replace a Eugene, Hatcher and Kuuan and finish 10-1 with a schedule that includes Hampton and Houston and don't sleep on Valley at Itta Bena. Valley almost beat Grambling this year and returns almost everyone. So that's 3 possible losses. And we all know the Bayou Classic is a rivalry game that can go either way. Now, Jackson State did sign 51 players but you will find that several players from last year's team will remain and weren't near as bad as they looked under you know who. Among the 51 are several JUCOs that could provide immediate help in weak positions, which include the defensive line, receiver, and QB. You are right it will take time for the team to come together, but the Grambling game is in middle of the season. I am not going to guarantee a win for JSU, but it is possible with good coaching and if the team comes together.

GannonFan
March 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Can we make it a rule that a "sleeper" can't be a defending conference champion or a team expected to be ranked in the top 15?

I have no idea how Delaware can be a sleeper when I think we all expect them to be pretty good.

In defense of those who have Delaware as a sleeper, the original premise for a sleeper, as defined in the first post in this thread, is a team that will not be in the top 10 in the preseason (which presumably Delaware won't be, although top 20 is certainly realistic) but will be a major player come playoff time (which hopefully UD will be). People are just using the vernacular that's been laid out in this thread, nothing more.

carney2
March 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
My pick for the Big Sky:

Penn State to win the Big Sky? I agree, they'd clean everybody's clocks out that way.

Sorry about the wise a-double squiggle response, but I am having more and more trouble with the the all letter and acronym designations for schools and conferences. By way of this post, I am thanking everyone who takes the trouble to identify your school and conference by name.

MACHIAVELLI
March 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
You want FACTS. I'll give you FACTS. Grambling loses offensive linemen Jonathan Banks, Charles Wilson, Tommy Dural, and Derrek Governor. And loses a very underrated starting running back in Ab Kuuan. On defense, Grambling loses the fantastic Jason Hatcher, DT Jimmy Zachary, and DE Matt Duhe. And Grambling loses some players in the secondary. Not to mention Eugene who accounted for 28.9 ppg.

You need to check your facts. Two of the players you mentioned are scheduled to return :nod:

Here is a famous quote that was on the TSPN back at the start of the 2002 season

Question: name the last team in the SWAC Modern era (1975-now) to have a winning record, much less win a SWAC Title, that has had to replace NINE offensive starters.
The Answer is: Grambling State University

Grambling was deep, but how do you replace a Eugene, Hatcher and Kuuan and finish 10-1 with a schedule that includes Hampton and Houston and don't sleep on Valley at Itta Bena.

Answer: Recruiting and coaching

BTW: we beat Valley in itta Bena with our Freshman QB and without 8 or so regular players.

griz&beer
March 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
How bad does Montana have to be to be a dud? If we don't win the NC ? Or if we do not make the playoffs? I think we go far this year.

ChickenMan
March 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
How bad does Montna have to be to be a dud?

just lose to Montana St... again :D

catbob
March 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting tidbit : the Griz are 1-3 in the playoffs after a loss to the Bobcats. The only Griz victory in the last 4 years equated to a NC appearance. Coincidence? :)

Freightliner
March 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
You lost 28 seniors and your star QB. Who is your next Nealy? Who is your next Fred Evans? You lost several receivers too. Not trash talking here, just a simple observation.

Two names to watch out for in 2006.
There will probably never be another Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans
BUT there is Bradley George or Chase Wasson at QB and newcomer Julian Humble on DL.

We lose 3 receivers (Markee White, KR Carpenter, Dameon Williams) but we have coming back Tyrone Scott, Morris Crosby, and Justin Williams.

I am only going to award sleepers and duds for the SLC, dont really want to get in an argument about national sleeper's and duds because I dont have enough info about some other teams.

Sleepers: McNeese (these guys could be SCARY), Southeastern LA (team on the rise but can they gel together?)

Duds: SFA (all bark no bite, plus losing scholy's doesnt help either)

Question Marks
SHSU - What will year 2 bring out with TW?
Nicholls - Can they repeat with young talent on offense and a new DC?
Northwestern - Will this relatively young team be healthy after THREE I-A teams?
TXST - Can they repeat the magic of 2005 without their All Star QB and DT?

Only time will tell. One thing is for sure...The SLC will be evenly matched this year.
Texas State

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Read this and weep Cappy. Our dud football program makes 3.42 times more revenue than your football program and was over $1.7 million in the black. Your program lost $527,000.

Football........ ....$5,834,632.................................... .........$5,834,632
............................$315,792.............. ..$1,201,193............$1,516,985
Not allocated by gender/sport...........................................$5 ,239,587
Grand Total Revenues.......................................... ...........$14,776,817

Expenses

Basketball .............$1,098,836..................$949,428. .........$2,048,264
Football.................$4,062,164 ...........................................$4,062, 164
................................$450,787.......... ......$1,716,939.........$2,167,726
Not allocated by gender............................................ .......$3,845,289
Grand Total Expenses.......................................... ...........$12,123,443

Expenses

Source:

Who is talking about money here? I don't give a care! Reaching, reaching, reaching...... Funny, you can't talk about football anymore.

==Moderator Edited: Please do not post profanity or smack on the discussion board==

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
And another thang, Ronbo - seems lotsa folks are pickin' the Griz as duds. Best start followin' that smoke. There jest me be a fire!

All good things come to an end. If you need counseling and support from folks that's been there, talk to the YSU people:

ysupenguins.net

CatFan22
March 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Sleepers:
Montana St.
Idaho St.
North Dakota St.

Duds:
Eastern Washington
Georgia Southern
Texas St.

CrunchGriz
March 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
And another thang, Ronbo - seems lotsa folks are pickin' the Griz as duds. Best start followin' that smoke. There jest me be a fire!

All good things come to an end. If you need counseling and support from folks that's been there, talk to the YSU people:

ysupenguins.net

Cap'n: You're right. Several people have picked the Griz as duds this coming season on this board. However, you'd best be checking the identity of these pickers--with the exception of you, virtually all the others either have a burr up their backsides about the Griz (a certain Cal Poly poster comes to mind), don't have a lot of knowledge of Big Sky football, or are MSU fans (who would vote the Griz to the lower reaches of Hades if they had a chance--hey, it's a great rivalry!).

I'm interested in hearing your reasoning for why the Griz will drop this year.

Let me put it this way: Many Montana fans saw trouble coming before 2005 with so many offensive skill positions in the hands of raw players. Montana consequently went through its worst passing offense year in 27 years. This caused the Griz D to spend an inordinate amount of time on the field. The Griz won't have that problem this year, and the defense that held them together in 2005 is virtually intact.

Some of us aren't blowing any horns yet, but based on the available talent we're much more confident than we were before last season.

A couple of recent Big Sky upper echelon teams, MSU and EWU, both lost a lot of offensive firepower to graduation. Weber State showed a lot of improvement last year but dropped a couple of OOC games badly, and Idaho State looks tough on offense, with a nice transfer QB, but it's still iffy on D. PSU is a crapshoot, with all the JC players they bring in every year. NAU, Sac State, and Northern Colorado are coming off bad years and probably don't have the horses to contend this coming season.

Montana, on the other hand, brought in a receiver and QB who both have started in the Pac-10 to jumpstart the passing game, as well as a fine transfer backup RB, and still has arguably the best RB in the Big Sky, Lex Hilliard, who will be a Payton candidate this year.

The one area of true concern for the Griz is the O Line, which will be young, but talented. If it gels, which I think it will, the Griz will be tough on both O and D.

UM also has the top returning punt and kickoff returners in the 'Sky, and a veteran and highly ranked punter and kicker.

YMMV, of course.

catbob
March 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
I thought if anything, last year would be the year the Griz fell from their high horse - sadly, that did not happen, and sadder yet, I do not see it happening this year.

Sleepers - Delaware (some say they shouldn't be a sleeper, but I think they will be better than most predict)
Weber (McBride had a solid recruiting class and returns QB Ian Pizzaro and a strong running attack)
Montana State (Everyone quick to jump on MSU, but we have a lot more in the wings than people may realize - Lulay's departure may be a blessing in disguise ( more balanced offense ) )

Duds:
Texas State (should have a solid running game, but defenses won't be spread so thin without Nealy and White)
Georgia Southern (new coach, new style, new record)
Eastern Washington (replacing Kimble, Vijil and Meyer is no easy task - they could have a good running game, but if the backup is the same guy I saw come in against MSU last year, they are in trouble)

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cap'n: You're right. Several people have picked the Griz as duds this coming season on this board. However, you'd best be checking the identity of these pickers--with the exception of you, virtually all the others either have a burr up their backsides about the Griz (a certain Cal Poly poster comes to mind), don't have a lot of knowledge of Big Sky football, or are MSU fans (who would vote the Griz to the lower reaches of Hades if they had a chance--hey, it's a great rivalry!).

I'm interested in hearing your reasoning for why the Griz will drop this year.

Let me put it this way: Many Montana fans saw trouble coming before 2005 with so many offensive skill positions in the hands of raw players. Montana consequently went through its worst passing offense year in 27 years. This caused the Griz D to spend an inordinate amount of time on the field. The Griz won't have that problem this year, and the defense that held them together in 2005 is virtually intact.

Some of us aren't blowing any horns yet, but based on the available talent we're much more confident than we were before last season.

A couple of recent Big Sky upper echelon teams, MSU and EWU, both lost a lot of offensive firepower to graduation. Weber State showed a lot of improvement last year but dropped a couple of OOC games badly, and Idaho State looks tough on offense, with a nice transfer QB, but it's still iffy on D. PSU is a crapshoot, with all the JC players they bring in every year. NAU, Sac State, and Northern Colorado are coming off bad years and probably don't have the horses to contend this coming season.

Montana, on the other hand, brought in a receiver and QB who both have started in the Pac-10 to jumpstart the passing game, as well as a fine transfer backup RB, and still has arguably the best RB in the Big Sky, Lex Hilliard, who will be a Payton candidate this year.

The one area of true concern for the Griz is the O Line, which will be young, but talented. If it gels, which I think it will, the Griz will be tough on both O and D.

UM also has the top returning punt and kickoff returners in the 'Sky, and a veteran and highly ranked punter and kicker.

YMMV, of course.

Cruncher,
I understand. Good analysis.

Ronbo is special to me. I like getting his testicles on fire about this stuff. Gettting him riled and defensive about the Griz is as easy as picking daisies. It's fun watching people get overly defensive. Then, the revenue stuff! LMAO!!!

Brad82
March 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Dud-Rhode Island. What is talk why we can't win-no excuses.

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
I agree with some of my other SoCon'ers.

Sleeper - Citadel

Agree with Youwouldknow - Watch out for SC STate.(However, since they were rated most of 2005, I am not sure they qualify.

Dud - I will not pick Elon, How can a team that went 3-8 last year not winning one SoCon game be considered a Dud no matter how bad it is this year.

Since most others are predicting the rise of Chattanooga, I will pick them to be the DUD. 7-4 LAst year I think. 5-6 or worse this year.

I think the schedule works against them. Most of their more winnable games are away. (In fact, looks like most of their games are away)

08/31 at Tennessee Tech (Thursday)
09/09 at Memphis
09/16 at Western Kentucky
09/23 Georgia Southern
09/30 at The Citadel
10/07 Appalachian State
10/14 at Western Carolina
10/21 at Furman
10/28 Elon
11/04 Jacksonville State
11/11 at Wofford

Proud Griz Man
March 2nd, 2006, 01:59 PM

Accurate points cruncher. Given his track record, you can Add Cap'n to the list as "trying to push buttons".

crunifan
March 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM

Expenses

Expenses

Source:

Someone forgot that one of those teams, the one that made it the the NC game, had three more play-off games than the other. Which means three more games to fly players, coaches, equipment, etc.

UNHWildCats
March 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Someone forgot that one of those teams, the one that made it the the NC game, had three more play-off games than the other. Which means three more games to fly players, coaches, equipment, etc.

Montana
Expenses: $4,062,164
Revenue: $5,834,632

UNI
Expenses: $2,231,739
Revenue: $1,704,388

Ok so UNI had 3 more games and thus had to travel more times. Yet Montana still had almost 2 million more in expenses and still made a profit, so exactly what is your argument about more travel??

youwouldno
March 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I forgot about Idaho St. Definite sleeper.

What's all this Citadel craziness? They actually graduated some guys on defense, QB Knox left, and they were terrible, and they have no obvious star prospects. What are they a sleeper for? A .500 record if they pull off a couple miracle upsets?

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I forgot about Idaho St. Definite sleeper.

What's all this Citadel craziness? They actually graduated some guys on defense, QB Knox left, and they were terrible, and they have no obvious star prospects. What are they a sleeper for? A .500 record if they pull off a couple miracle upsets?

The QB left:confused:

Ah shoot. :bawling: :)

MR. CHICKEN
March 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
SLEEPER.......TOWSON.......ONLY 3 SENIORS....ON 2005 ROSTER!

DUD..............TOWSON.....HEY..DERE STILL TOWSON!.....:nod:......BAWK!

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Montana
Expenses: $4,062,164
Revenue: $5,834,632

UNI
Expenses: $2,231,739
Revenue: $1,704,388

Ok so UNI had 3 more games and thus had to travel more times. Yet Montana still had almost 2 million more in expenses and still made a profit, so exactly what is your argument about more travel??

One minute we're talking football, the next thing, some honyock brings up comparative revenues???

==Moderator Edited: Please do not post profanity==

HiHiYikas
March 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
I agree with some of my other SoCon'ers...
and I agree with you...seems like WCU and Chattanooga are getting a lot of 'sleeper' looks (until it becomes a sort of ironic 'hype.') That makes sense, but I'm still not surprised if they wind up in the 'dud' column before the end of the season.

I have to think that, with Richie and Ingle's departures, and big changes at GASO, at least one of the three will have a disappointing season. And 'disappointing,' to teams as successful as ASU, Furman, and GASO were last year, could wind up being better than whatever non-big-three SoCon team emerges as its 'sleeper.'

UNHWildCats
March 2nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Who gives a f***?

One minute we're talking football, the next thing, some honyock brings up comparative revenues???

Jesus.

Sorry, but I just wanted to know what the guys point was about UNI hgaving to travel an additional three games.

colgate13
March 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
I have to think that, with Richie and Ingle's departures, and big changes at GASO, at least one of the three will have a disappointing season. And 'disappointing,' to teams as successful as ASU, Furman, and GASO were last year, could wind up being better than whatever non-big-three SoCon team emerges as its 'sleeper.'

It took a second read, but I now follow you. And it's a good point too. :nod:

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry, but I just wanted to know what the guys point was about UNI hgaving to travel an additional three games.

I understand.

youwouldno
March 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
The QB left:confused:

Ah shoot. :bawling: :)

Well one of their QBs. Lawson was the starter until he was hurt. Knox played against Furman.

kats89
March 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Two names to watch out for in 2006.
There will probably never be another Barrick Nealy and Fred Evans
BUT there is Bradley George or Chase Wasson at QB and newcomer Julian Humble on DL.

We lose 3 receivers (Markee White, KR Carpenter, Dameon Williams) but we have coming back Tyrone Scott, Morris Crosby, and Justin Williams.

I am only going to award sleepers and duds for the SLC, dont really want to get in an argument about national sleeper's and duds because I dont have enough info about some other teams.

Sleepers: McNeese (these guys could be SCARY), Southeastern LA (team on the rise but can they gel together?)

Duds: SFA (all bark no bite, plus losing scholy's doesnt help either)

Question Marks
SHSU - What will year 2 bring out with TW?
Nicholls - Can they repeat with young talent on offense and a new DC?
Northwestern - Will this relatively young team be healthy after THREE I-A teams?
TXST - Can they repeat the magic of 2005 without their All Star QB and DT?

Only time will tell. One thing is for sure...The SLC will be evenly matched this year.
Texas State

I am wondering what year 2 will bring for TW as well. He better turn it around quick because I promise you his leash is short. We still are young and talented and deep at QB. Could be adding a couple 6-7, 300+ lbs OL on the left side this year. Here is how our OL could be starting the season;

LT Aaron Saunders 6-7 315 Soph.
LG Akeem Retig 6-7, 360, Jr
C Brennan Williams 6-0, 275 Jr
RG Eric Mikolajcek 6-4, 315 soph
RT Lance Hancock 6-5, 295 Sr

We could be very big up front this year.

I think you need to give up on Wasson as your QB. He played a lot of receiver last year and when I saw him play QB a couple of years ago, his arm didn't impress me at all.

I agree with you that McNeese could be very scary this year and SE La could be a definite sleeper.

Nicholls St.. QB Yale Vannoy is gone. Could be mediocre at best.

SFA... They are SFA. They suck. We had a suckazz year last year and they still lost to us.

Tx State. I think it will be hard to repeat last year's performance, but Baliff is the real deal and will be in the hunt I am sure.

NW St.. Lost a star DB and are a young team again. Could be a long season for the Demons. Wouldn't hurt my feelings any.

If we can regain our firepower on offense again as we had in '04, it could be a good season in BearkatNation. We have depth, but can TW pull his head out of his azz and see the light? The four road game stretch for us will be a BIG task with Missouri St, Univ of Texas, SMU and NW St all in a row. If we could come out of that 2-2, I would be very upbeat about conference play.

Pard4Life
March 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Penn State to win the Big Sky? I agree, they'd clean everybody's clocks out that way.

Sorry about the wise a-double squiggle response, but I am having more and more trouble with the the all letter and acronym designations for schools and conferences. By way of this post, I am thanking everyone who takes the trouble to identify your school and conference by name.

PSU is Portland St. my Pard brethren.

Pard4Life
March 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
For the Patriot League, I don't really see any 'duds' aside from the recent duds.

But sleepers, I'd have to say Fordham. They have too much talent on that team to win only one game. Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh are all expected to win.

Nationally I'd say Delaware.

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Southland Conference.

Sleeper--Southeastern Louisiana

Dud--SFA

Cap'n Cat
March 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Hey, is SLA eligible for the playoffs?

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hey, is SLA eligible for the playoffs?

I think Southeastern Louisiana has one more year...

They started in 2003...

Spider
March 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM

are you talking about the Towson that beat the Hens last year......

Cocky
March 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
If we don't wake up we will be sleeper again this year.

ISUMatt
March 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
I know Illinois State was good last year, but not in the playoffs, so they are my sleeper and my dud...Texas St

March 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hey, is SLA eligible for the playoffs?You mean SLU and yes, they were already D-I so they had no waiting period.

Stang Fever
March 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
I hate to go against poly in anything.....but what i will say about them is that i wont call them a dude...but i see there schedule as being extremely hard....if you blink twice they could be out of the top 25 and out of playoff hopes....

as for my real dud team it would easily be Texas St.....i see them at 7-4 there is no way they win 9 games....

arranger101
March 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
S.C. State<---------SLEEPER

SE Louisiana<-------DUD

golionsgo
March 4th, 2006, 03:12 AM

They started in 2003...

Incorrect. We were immediately eligible in 2003 and had no waiting period. We were already I-AA when we dropped football in 1985 but we maintained Division I status in all other programs.

golionsgo
March 4th, 2006, 03:19 AM
S.C. State<---------SLEEPER

SE Louisiana<-------DUD

Considering we were 4-6 last year, we're hardly a dud candidate. That aside, we've got the potential to be REALLY GOOD contingent on a couple of pieces falling into place.

Tod
March 4th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Considering we were 4-6 last year, we're hardly a dud candidate. That aside, we've got the potential to be REALLY GOOD contingent on a couple of pieces falling into place.

If you are coming to NM to see this game, I'll be there. Let me know.

Pretty dry down here in New Mexico as far as I-AA goes, but I'll be seeing SELA @ NMSU and Portland State @ UNM. I'll take and post pics, but I can't make any promises on quality. :) :) :)

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 4th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I hate to go against poly in anything.....but what i will say about them is that i wont call them a dude...but i see there schedule as being extremely hard....if you blink twice they could be out of the top 25 and out of playoff hopes....

as for my real dud team it would easily be Texas St.....i see them at 7-4 there is no way they win 9 games....

how times have change. 7-4 is now a "dud" season. i'll take 7-4 and will consider it a success, but i don't think 9-2 is completely out of the question...

slostang
March 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I actually think Poly will be a better team in 2006, but it might not show in the win and loss column with two I-A games on the schedule. I was glad to see them schedule the first I-A game against San Jose State, but scheduling the second I-A game against San Diego State will make it a tough season. Add out of conference trips to Montana and my "Sleeper Team" Weber State to go along with an always tough GWFC schedule. Although their schedule is tough in 2006, I do not see Cal Poly as a "Dud" team. There are a lot of games they could lose on the schedule, but there are no games that they can not win. It should be a fun season to watch.

MACHIAVELLI
March 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM
NCC to come on schedule

North Carolina Central, which went 10-2 and won the Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association last season, likely will visit Southern on Sept. 23. That will answer the last question mark to the 2006 SU schedule

crunifan
March 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Sleeper: Illinois State

Dud: Texas State

MACHIAVELLI
March 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
You forgot all of the coaches, wide receivers, runningbacks, o-line, d-line players that Southern is losing or lost. Oh well, just trying to add some facts to your opinion.

Southern seeks DL, RB depth
Finding depth and increasing the talent level for the defensive line, which loses all-conference end Joe Sykes, was a focus in recruiting. Meanwhile, running back continues to be a position affected by lingering injuries from last season, now exacerbated by the loss of Devin Herbert, who was involved in a car accident last month that injured his leg.

Phillips leaves staff

Jack Phillips has left the staff after one season as the defensive backs coach, Richardson said.

Working with an entirely new secondary took its toll. Of 10 Southwestern Athletic Conference teams, Southern finished eighth in pass defense (241.3 yards per game) and seventh in pass efficiency defense (139.7). The Jaguars had a conference-low four interceptions, with two of those by linebackers.

In January, Daryl Daye, the former Nicholls State head coach who spent one season at SU as outside linebackers/special teams coach, was hired as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Missouri Southern, a Division II school.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/2400661.html

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Ok, no one has said it:

Sleeper: UC Davis

Dud: App St!! What will they do in Boone when the Dukes bring that long 18-game home winning streak to an end in September (this after losing to NC State, starting 0-2) Add to that the rest of the Socon....

It's never fun to have the X on your back ;)

Stang Fever
March 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM

how times have change. 7-4 is now a "dud" season. i'll take 7-4 and will consider it a success, but i don't think 9-2 is completely out of the question...

Well that was suppose to mean at best 7-4.....but i can honestly look myself in the mirror and say they will be 6-5.......

Stang Fever
March 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I actually think Poly will be a better team in 2006, but it might not show in the win and loss column with two I-A games on the schedule. I was glad to see them schedule the first I-A game against San Jose State, but scheduling the second I-A game against San Diego State will make it a tough season. Add out of conference trips to Montana and my "Sleeper Team" Weber State to go along with an always tough GWFC schedule. Although their schedule is tough in 2006, I do not see Cal Poly as a "Dud" team. There are a lot of games they could lose on the schedule, but there are no games that they can not win. It should be a fun season to watch.

Exactly what i am saying.......the schedule is set up for them to get two wins...FAIRLY easy (but you never know with football)....the first game and the last game.....but everything in between is going to be a battle.....

If all things play out how i think they will:

two I-A's......even though i think we have a chance at both of them.....i am going to say we come out at best 1-1.......

We can beat Montana.....yes we beat them in the playoffs...but the game before that it was close...we are on pair with them if not better...but blink twice and thats an L

NDSU dont know what to expect.....first year it was hard to win.....last year it was a blow out......should be favored to win this game as well (W)

Weber State....will be favored to win that game (W)

Suc State - Name says it all (W)

UC DAvis never know.....but i am going to give this one to the Stangs we owe them one (W)

Southern Utah.....no doubt we will be favored to win...so we should win (W)

S. Dakota State......really good team...they have for two years now given us a good game..but we will still be favored to win this game (W)

So if we can win the games we should be favored to win...then we will have a great season....but i see it going somewhere along the lines of 8-3 which would be great......but more realistic 7-4

Tod
March 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Exactly what i am saying.......the schedule is set up for them to get two wins...FAIRLY easy (but you never know with football)....the first game and the last game.....but everything in between is going to be a battle.....

If all things play out how i think they will:

two I-A's......even though i think we have a chance at both of them.....i am going to say we come out at best 1-1.......

We can beat Montana.....yes we beat them in the playoffs...but the game before that it was close...we are on pair with them if not better...but blink twice and thats an L

NDSU dont know what to expect.....first year it was hard to win.....last year it was a blow out......should be favored to win this game as well (W)

Weber State....will be favored to win that game (W)

Suc State - Name says it all (W)

UC DAvis never know.....but i am going to give this one to the Stangs we owe them one (W)

Southern Utah.....no doubt we will be favored to win...so we should win (W)

S. Dakota State......really good team...they have for two years now given us a good game..but we will still be favored to win this game (W)

So if we can win the games we should be favored to win...then we will have a great season....but i see it going somewhere along the lines of 8-3 which would be great......but more realistic 7-4

I don't know much about Weber, but if they continue improving, don't take that W as an automatic. They were good last year. They seem to be improving.

slostang
March 7th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I don't know much about Weber, but if they continue improving, don't take that W as an automatic. They were good last year. They seem to be improving.
I have a great respect for coach McBride. Weber is definately on the rise.

McTailGator
March 7th, 2006, 12:52 AM

They started in 2003...

SELA was eligable the first year they restarted football.

They were never D-II so there was no transition period.

TigerFan17
March 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM

Somehow knew you'd take a shot at TU. :nod: xcoffeex

We'll surprise people. We won't bring home an NCAA championship, but we'll finish over .500 again and our program will continue to build.

Plus, no D-II opponent this year like last year, so our chances of making the playoffs increase because we scheduled an easy D-I that should be a win.

lucchesicourt
March 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Stang fever, you figure you guys are going to go undefeated in conference? Hmmm. Well, we still got the horseshoe, and hopefully we can keep it. Afterall, this year's Aggie team should be better than last year's, and you guys will probably be healthy this time around. The only thing I can say is, Noble better not figure on getting 100 yards against a healthy Aggie squad. So, if your passing game can come alive against us it should be a good game. If you can't pass, expect the Ags to win. That's how I see the game.

SochorField
March 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Much too early to make any sort of prediction on the UC Davis vs. Cal Poly game.....its always a crazy one. There are too many unknowns for both teams.

putter
March 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
My pick for the Big Sky:

DUD: Montana

Takes one to know one!! :nod: :nod: xlolx

putter
March 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, Montana will be a huge, huge dud next year!! I hope all of these teams think so too..... :smiley_wi

9/2 @ Iowa
9/9 South Dakota State
9/16 Open
9/23 Sacramento State
9/30 @ Portland State
10/7 @ Eastern Washington
10/14 Northern Arizona (HC)
10/21 @ Weber State
10/28 Idaho State
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 @ Northern Colorado
11/18 Montana State

Cap'n Cat
March 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Yes, Montana will be a huge, huge dud next year!! I hope all of these teams think so too..... :smiley_wi

9/2 @ Iowa
9/9 South Dakota State
9/16 Open
9/23 Sacramento State
9/30 @ Portland State
10/7 @ Eastern Washington
10/14 Northern Arizona (HC)
10/21 @ Weber State
10/28 Idaho State
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 @ Northern Colorado
11/18 Montana State

Oh, quit taking this shat personally, putter.

I hope they do well.

Cap'n Cat
March 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Southern seeks DL, RB depth
Finding depth and increasing the talent level for the defensive line, which loses all-conference end Joe Sykes, was a focus in recruiting. Meanwhile, running back continues to be a position affected by lingering injuries from last season, now exacerbated by the loss of Devin Herbert, who was involved in a car accident last month that injured his leg.

Phillips leaves staff

Jack Phillips has left the staff after one season as the defensive backs coach, Richardson said.

Working with an entirely new secondary took its toll. Of 10 Southwestern Athletic Conference teams, Southern finished eighth in pass defense (241.3 yards per game) and seventh in pass efficiency defense (139.7). The Jaguars had a conference-low four interceptions, with two of those by linebackers.

In January, Daryl Daye, the former Nicholls State head coach who spent one season at SU as outside linebackers/special teams coach, was hired as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Missouri Southern, a Division II school.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/2400661.html

Just curious, Machi - are there any white assistant coaches in the SWAC?

elkmcc
March 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Accurate points cruncher. Given his track record, you can Add Cap'n to the list as "trying to push buttons".

I figured the good Cap'n was just trying to help the Griz get the target off of their backs:rolleyes:

One really couldn't blame anyone for trying to push Ronbo's buttons. He brings it on himself with the pretentiousness he brandishes with most of his posts.

"You have a good many little gifts and virtues, but there is no need of parading them, for conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long, and the great charm of all power is modesty."
Louisa May Alcott (1832 - 1888) US novelist

putter
March 7th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Oh, quit taking this shat personally, putter.

I hope they do well.

Damn Cap'n how many smiley's do I have to put up there so you see I too was joshin!?
Note to self, next time Cap'n is in Montana - remove Alaskan Amber bottle from his rear end! xlolx xlolx

Tod
March 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Damn Cap'n how many smiley's do I have to put up there so you see I too was joshin!?
Note to self, next time Cap'n is in Montana - remove Alaskan Amber bottle from his rear end! xlolx xlolx

You may want to hire out for that one. :D

MACHIAVELLI
March 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Just curious, Machi - are there any white assistant coaches in the SWAC?

ICON/Grambling has two. Well maybe one. Pettito says he is Italian, not white.

Tod
March 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM
ICON/Grambling has two. Well maybe one. Pettito say he is Italian, not white.

I guess then that the question would be is he Caucasian-Italian-American, African-Italian-American, or Asian-Italian-American. :rolleyes:

No offense to you, machi, it just drives me nuts when Hispanics/Italians/Arabs, etc., refer to me as a caucasian, as if they're not.

I'm sure coach Pettito is just taking pride in his heritage. The race thing just gets under my skin (no pun intended) because first, it somehow still matters, and second, people don't know what they're talking about half the time.

Oh, and by the way, it's Miller Time! :D :beerchug: xprost2x

mikebigg
March 7th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I guess then that the question would be is he Caucasian-Italian-American, African-Italian-American, or Asian-Italian-American. :rolleyes:

No offense to you, machi, it just drives me nuts when Hispanics/Italians/Arabs, etc., refer to me as a caucasian, as if they're not.

I'm sure coach Pettito is just taking pride in his heritage. The race thing just gets under my skin (no pun intended) because first, it somehow still matters, and second, people don't know what they're talking about half the time.

Oh, and by the way, it's Miller Time! :D :beerchug: xprost2x

My daughter refuses to allow anyone to call her African American without telling them that she's an American. She stated that America is the only country that categorizes its citizens...so she's making a stand by correcting everyone who calls her an African American. Don't get this twisted...she's proud of her heritage. But she says anyone can notice her skin pigmentation and know her heritage...however, she's at least 5th generation American citizen (after Slavery) and that's how she wants to be addressed. I agree with her and I've since referred to myself as American...those who know me or meet me can figure out the ancestry!:bow:

FargoBison
March 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM

I don't know if I would be predicting a win at the FargoDome already. NDSU is very tough at home(defense only gives up 10 points per game) and I am not so sure that anyone should be favored to come into the Dome and win. I think NDSU-Cal Poly is going to be a great game next year and I think it very well could end up deciding who wins the GWFC.

Tod
March 8th, 2006, 12:08 AM
My daughter refuses to allow anyone to call her African American without telling them that she's an American. She stated that America is the only country that categorizes its citizens...so she's making a stand by correcting everyone who calls her an African American. Don't get this twisted...she's proud of her heritage. But she says anyone can notice her skin pigmentation and know her heritage...however, she's at least 5th generation American citizen (after Slavery) and that's how she wants to be addressed. I agree with her and I've since referred to myself as American...those who know me or meet me can figure out the ancestry!:bow:

Absolutely. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

As much as I agree with your daughter (and you), I didn't really mean to bring this in a racial direction. My target was more people who don't understand the race thing. In other words, Italian is caucasian, for the most part. Sure, there are black and Asian Italians, so I am making an assumption as to his skin color. Hispanics are either caucasian or black Hispanic (OK, there may be an Asian Hispanic or two, but I've never seen or heard of that).

But that was all I meant. Get the race, ethnic group, nationality thing straight. It's not that tough. :)

catbob
March 8th, 2006, 12:17 AM

I got blasted on bobcatnation for making that exact same point. :bawling:

March 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I got blasted on bobcatnation for making that exact same point. :bawling:Things are a bit different on the national board. :nod:

GeauxLions94
March 8th, 2006, 01:04 AM

They started in 2003...

We are eligible! Have been since the get-go (we were I-AA when we dropped program back in 1985)

GeauxLions94
March 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
If you are coming to NM to see this game, I'll be there. Let me know.

Pretty dry down here in New Mexico as far as I-AA goes, but I'll be seeing SELA @ NMSU and Portland State @ UNM. I'll take and post pics, but I can't make any promises on quality. :) :) :)

You're coming to Las Cruces :eek: This might call for a trip to the "Beer Garden." xprost2x

Tod
March 8th, 2006, 02:43 AM
You're coming to Las Cruces :eek: This might call for a trip to the "Beer Garden." xprost2x

If you'll be there I'd love to meet you. There's not a lot of I-AA football nearby, but I will go and see (and root for!!!!) those I-AA teams that I can. In 2005 I was able to travel to Flagstaff to see the Griz play the 'Jacks, but obviously that won't happen this year. Let me know, I'd love to meet up.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

colgate13
March 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM
That's great to hear! I really think that our younger generations just might have some more hope for overall tolerance and understanding. :bow:

But the real question I have is, will she go so far as to not indicate her ethnicity on her college or job applications?

DaGriz
March 8th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Sleeper: Weber St. They really turned things around last year and played pretty much everybody competetive. They could suprise a lot of people this year.

Dud: Anybody that did well and lost an experienced QB. i.e. Texas St, App. St. (App St. lost their QB correct?) etc. In my opinion, in college ball, the QB can make or break a team. He can single handedly win or lose 4-6 games with a lousy supporting cast. Teams like Cal Poly that had a back up come in, take over, and do just as good if not better will be fine.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Dud: Anybody that did well and lost an experienced QB. i.e. Texas St, App. St. (App St. lost their QB correct?) etc. In my opinion, in college ball, the QB can make or break a team. He can single handedly win or lose 4-6 games with a lousy supporting cast. Teams like Cal Poly that had a back up come in, take over, and do just as good if not better will be fine.

This is exactly why I called out App. St.! They have a good QB who played backup in the semi final last year - was South Carolina's #1 QB coming out of H.S. in 2003 or 2004... In any event, I was not all that impressed with him. He looked a little small and not so athletic - but his arm is good. Nevertheless, I think youth can play into the hands of experienced defenses.

App. St. is ripe for some upsets, we'll see, and perhaps I'll be eating crow later, but I just have a hunch, if not JMU, some other team might expose them.

Just to show that I am not a "homer", JMU will have the same problem next year losing Rascati. The last two years have been great recruiting years, but even with a stronger, more athletic team in a couple years, I wonder how much the QB change will affect things in 2007.

ChickenMan
March 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
UD had that QB problem in '01 when they returned most of their '00 team (minus QB Matt Nagy) that lost in the semi's to eventually champ GSU. UD looked to be a title contender once again... IF they could get good QB play. Unfortunately the QB play was horrendous and the Hens sufferd through a very disappointing 4-6 season. As UD learned in '01... good QB play is absolutely key to a successful season. All other aspects of the team can be in place and perform well... but if the QB play is subpar... the team will likely struggle.

MYTAPPY
March 8th, 2006, 01:55 PM
This is exactly why I called out App. St.! They have a good QB who played backup in the semi final last year - was South Carolina's #1 QB coming out of H.S. in 2003 or 2004... In any event, I was not all that impressed with him. He looked a little small and not so athletic - but his arm is good. Nevertheless, I think youth can play into the hands of experienced defenses.

App. St. is ripe for some upsets, we'll see, and perhaps I'll be eating crow later, but I just have a hunch, if not JMU, some other team might expose them.

Just to show that I am not a "homer", JMU will have the same problem next year losing Rascati. The last two years have been great recruiting years, but even with a stronger, more athletic team in a couple years, I wonder how much the QB change will affect things in 2007.

I agree the Elder is not the athelete that Richie was, but with one of the best running backs in the SoCon in Kevin Richardson, Elder won't have to do too much. If I were JMU and any other team, concentrate your defense on our running game. On the other hand our defense is still going to be a monster led by All American Marques Marrell. Granted Jason Hunter is gone, but Maques was the one causing all those fumbles in '05 for Hunter to pick up.

Eaglegus2
March 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
IMO, the sleeper in the SoCon will be Western Carolina. I believe they have their program headed in the correction direction.

The dud will be Georgia Southern if the players don't grasp the changes in store for the Eagles.

AZGrizFan
March 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

Sorry to dissappoint you, but Montana will be better than they were last year. And with both EWU and MSU losing their star QB's, we should win the conference again. But, in ol' Mizzo', anything short of a deep run in the playoffs is considered a dud season so, in hindsight, you may be right. ;) ;)

fuEMO
March 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I agree the Elder is not the athelete that Richie was, but with one of the best running backs in the SoCon in Kevin Richardson, Elder won't have to do too much. If I were JMU and any other team, concentrate your defense on our running game. On the other hand our defense is still going to be a monster led by All American Marques Marrell. Granted Jason Hunter is gone, but Maques was the one causing all those fumbles in '05 for Hunter to pick up.

I like Elder… I have huge respect for the Byrnes program he came out of. But I believe Trey will have a hard time finishing an entire SoCon season as a starter. He played a little fragile in the game against Furman… of course both teams were laying serious hits.

I do think your right on about Richardson, but when I compare the running game of APP 05 to 06, I don't know if it will be as potent without the threat of Richie running the bootleg. Furman will have a 230 pound quarterback at the helm next season that can run and make the pitch to a 250 pound fullback and a trio of tailbacks and that will be the main weapon teams will have to take away and force Gray to pass. I just don't know if APP will be consistant in the ground game in 06, I look for teams to force APP to throw in 06 because of this.

wannabegaucho
March 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I hate to put Cal Poly as a dud, but they seem to keep losing so many players/coaches, as well as two I-A games. I think this could be NDSU's year.

DaGriz
March 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I hate to put Cal Poly as a dud, but they seem to keep losing so many players/coaches, as well as two I-A games. I think this could be NDSU's year.

Losing Gocong will be tough but they lost their Buchanan LB the year before also and still managed. That back up QB they had come in at the end of the year is a stud. Noble will be back at RB, I think they will be okay.

slostang
March 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I am more worried about the two I-A games than I am about losing so many players (?) and coaches. I think Cal Poly has enough returning players and some very talented young players comming up that they have a chance to be a better team next year. Problem is that playing two I-A teams leaves very little room for error when you do not play in an auto bid conference.

putter
March 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
UD had that QB problem in '01 when they returned most of their '00 team (minus QB Matt Nagy) that lost in the semi's to eventually champ GSU. UD looked to be a title contender once again... IF they could get good QB play. Unfortunately the QB play was horrendous and the Hens sufferd through a very disappointing 4-6 season. As UD learned in '01... good QB play is absolutely key to a successful season. All other aspects of the team can be in place and perform well... but if the QB play is subpar... the team will likely struggle.

CM, Montana learned that too last year yet still made the playoffs. I am hoping Swogger can not only elevate our team this year but help the younger QB's in our system for '07 and beyond.

App_State_Guy
March 14th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Socon:

Sleeper: Western Carolina
They play Georgia Southern and App State @ E.J. Whitmire. I have seen many a freaky thing happen there. 2 App State losses in 7 years, 1 where we went to playoffs anyway, and another when it knocked us out. And I am sure Furman remebers where their first SoCon loss of last season happened.

Dud: Wofford
They may be the last team to beat us (ASU) at home, but it looks like their time as a SoCon title contender has come to pass.

I hope I never live to see the day the goal posts come down at WCU as they did that fateful day in '98...

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm surprised that no one has put UNI on their dud list knowing how the WKU and JMU disappeared from the map after their cinderella runs in '02 and '04. Of course, I personally think it was more than luck that got them into the NC. Maybe people agree with me.

I predict they will easily take the gateway this coming year. UNI is going to be a giant in an unusually weak Gateway Conference.

VictorG
March 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Others: Montana (end of an era);

After seeing the 1st spring scrimmage me thinks the Griz defense alone will keep them from becoming a dud and their offense is far ahead of last year so me also thinks the era will continue!!!!!

nlwwln
March 25th, 2006, 12:55 AM
EKU is poised for a playoff run in 06

DuckDuckGriz
March 25th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Sleepers = Weber State, Maine, Western Carolina, Sam Houston State, Idaho State

Duds = Texas State, Cal Poly

blackfordpu
March 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I like the way you think duck!:nod: ;)

Bulldog87
March 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Charleston Southern has had a couple of good recruiting classes and if they can carry some momentum from the end of last season they could be a suprise this season. CCU won't sneak up on anyone this season so this will be interesting where they're concerned. Norfolk State has a great stadium where they'll play 7 home games this year and will only travel more than 200 miles twice. They are in a great recruiting talent area and the coach has them going in the right direction. I can see the Spartans winning 8 games this year. Don't count Wofford out so easily for those that feel they are sinking. I hope that those folk that are looking at SCSU as a ""sleeper team"(after going 18-4 over the last 2 seasons) are right but we only have 4 home games this year vs 7 on the road including at Wofford,FAMU,CCU and a arch rival A&T that hasn't beaten us in years. The Aggies are licking their chops to get us in Greensboro after years of taking whippings in the queen city. We also face Hampton (a team that we never seem to beat) at home. We could be a better team than last year with a less favorable record. If we go 9-2 again and get left out of the playoffs it would be a travesty.

Tod
March 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'm surprised that no one has put UNI on their dud list knowing how the WKU and JMU disappeared from the map after their cinderella runs in '02 and '04. Of course, I personally think it was more than luck that got them into the NC. Maybe people agree with me.

I predict they will easily take the gateway this coming year. UNI is going to be a giant in an unusually weak Gateway Conference.

Illinois State will be tough, too.

nlwwln
March 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
towson looks to be heading in the right direction, that school has alot of potential to get better. i would look for them to be alot more competitve next year

slostang
March 25th, 2006, 11:37 PM

What makes you think that Cal Poly will be a dud?

Is it their defense that returns All-Americans CB Courtney Brown, FS Kenny Chicione, LB Kyle Shotwell and All-GWFC LB Justin Peek and NG Chris White. A defense that only loses three/four starters.

Is it their offense that returns All-American RB and I-AA All-Star freshman of the year James Noble and All-GWFC first team members C Stephen Field and 6'6" WR Ramses Barden? An offense that only loses four/five starters?

Just curious.

Kill'em
March 25th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Sleepers:
McNeese St- I think this team will make some serious noise this year.
Western Carolina- The Southern Conference better look out.
Northern Iowa- Cinderella may be back at the ball.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN- It's funny how many have written us off. There won't be anyone laughing at season's end.

Duds:
Texas St- Losing >20 players will hurt badly.
Jacksonville St- Sorry, no science, no expert prognosticating here. Just a gut feeling.
Wofford- Besides getting crushed by App St and Furman, they come to "Our House".
NOTE: North Dakota St could make either list, depending how they handle an ambitious schedule.

Special Dud consideration: Savannah St- With all the turmoil and financial trouble, they would be better off cancelling their football season.

Tod
March 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Sleepers:
GEORGIA SOUTHERN- It's funny how many have written us off. There won't be anyone laughing at season's end.

Duds:
Jacksonville St- Sorry, no science, no expert prognosticating here. Just a gut feeling.
Wofford- Besides getting crushed by App St and Furman, they come to "Our House".
NOTE: North Dakota St could make either list, depending how they handle an ambitious schedule.

Special Dud consideration: Savannah St- With all the turmoil and financial trouble, they would be better off cancelling their football season.

UNI as a sleeper? They will be in the top five when the pre-season poll comes out, they played in the NC game last year...I'm not sure how they could be considered sleepers. :confused: :confused:

Kill'em
March 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I know it sounds crazy but there was at least one post that essentially called them one-hit-wonders and often this is the case. I'm sure others feel the same.

Tod
March 26th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I know it sounds crazy but there was at least one post that essentially called them one-hit-wonders and often this is the case. I'm sure others feel the same.

UNI has been an incredibly successful team. While it's true they have yet to win an NC, they make the playoffs regularly, many times have gone deep (I think before this year they made the semi's four times), and have won the Gateway a disproportionately high number of times.

My believe before/during the 2005 playoffs was that ASU, UNI and McNeese State are/were the three most successful I-AA programs never to win a NC. Now, of course, ASU comes off that list. But UNI solidifies it's inclusion. I don't even know who I'd replace ASU with if I had to give a list of three in that category now. UNI and McNeese obviously belong, IMHO. Damn good programs.

I'll have UNI ranked for sure in the top three for 2006. Very possibly #1.

Just my :twocents:

kats89
March 26th, 2006, 06:16 AM
We were a sleeper last year. Just look at our final record of 3-7. We slept through the entire season.:bang:

I do think we might sneak up on some people this year, MAYBE! With 16 of 22 starters returning for 2006, there better be some serious improvement over 2005 or Whitten could be shown the door.

griz&beer
March 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM
We were a sleeper last year. Just look at our final record of 3-7. We slept through the entire season.:bang:

I do think we might sneak up on some people this year, MAYBE! With 16 of 22 starters returning for 2006, there better be some serious improvement over 2005 or Whitten could be shown the door.

You guys had to play good teams last year. Now it is your guys turn to e the bullies.

kats89
March 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM
You guys had to play good teams last year. Now it is your guys turn to e the bullies.

Schedule is harder this year. 4 in a row on the road early part of the year....maybe you haven't seen it?

Sept. 9 Sat. ARKANSAS-MONTICELLO HUNTSVILLE TBA
Sept 16 Sat. Southern Methodist University Dallas TBA
Sept. 23 Sat. Missouri State Springfield, MO TBA
Sep. 30 Sat. Texas Austin TBA
Oct. 7 Sat. #Northwestern St. Natchitoches, LA TBA
Oct. 14 Sat. #NICHOLLS ST. Homecoming HUNTSVILLE 2 p.m.
Oct. 21 Sat CENTRAL ARKANSAS HUNTSVILLE TBA
Oct. 28 Sat. #McNEESE STATE HUNTSVILLE TBA
Nov. 4 Sat. #Stephen F. Austin State Nacogdoches TBA
Nov. 11 Sat. #Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, LA TBA
Nov. 18 Sat. #TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS HUNTSVILLE TBA

OL FU
March 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Sleepers:

Duds:

It is difficult to consider you in that category:eek:

Kill'em
March 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
It is difficult to consider you in that category:eek:
How so? It seems lots of folks thinks the era of Georgia Southern is at an end.

Kill'em
March 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM
UNI has been an incredibly successful team. While it's true they have yet to win an NC, they make the playoffs regularly, many times have gone deep (I think before this year they made the semi's four times), and have won the Gateway a disproportionately high number of times.

My believe before/during the 2005 playoffs was that ASU, UNI and McNeese State are/were the three most successful I-AA programs never to win a NC. Now, of course, ASU comes off that list. But UNI solidifies it's inclusion. I don't even know who I'd replace ASU with if I had to give a list of three in that category now. UNI and McNeese obviously belong, IMHO. Damn good programs.

I'll have UNI ranked for sure in the top three for 2006. Very possibly #1.

Just my :twocents:
"After further review," picking UNI as a sleeper may have been incorrect.

OL FU
March 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM
How so? It seems lots of folks thinks the era of Georgia Southern is at an end.

I don't:cool:

March 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
sleepers:
Mcneese (never a sleeper, always a favorite)
nichols (sleeper last year & probably will be again)
SElou (picking up steam could make a run)

dud: northwestern st ( tough schedule season could be over before it starts)
tx state ( agree with everyone else, will be tough with younger players but who knows)

NSUDemon98
March 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
sleepers:
Mcneese (never a sleeper, always a favorite)
nichols (sleeper last year & probably will be again)
SElou (picking up steam could make a run)

dud: northwestern st ( tough schedule season could be over before it starts)
tx state ( agree with everyone else, will be tough with younger players but who knows)

In order to be a "dud" wouldn't there have to be high expectations for the team combined with considerable success from the previous season?

I would say that last season we were "dud" of the year but I wouldn't consider a us a "dud" this year b/c expectations are NOT high this year.

75% of our starters will be sophomores or juniors with freshmen getting a considerable amount of playing time. We play THREE I-As[Kansas, Baylor, and Ole Miss].

Kill'em
March 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I don't:cool:

Chi Panther
March 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sleeper.....EIU (game vs Ill State looms VERY large).....

Duds: SIU (lost Top-Gun QB)....and Coach Kill is a question mark with Health issues

GSU has a new coach which makes me nervous.....but talent is DEEP

Richmond did they lose their QB?

Tex State lost stud QB and Dlineman...but should reload to an 8-3 season

UNH.....soooo much talent on Offense....but such a large target on their backs....

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Sleeper - Eastern Kentucky. Improved last year and I don't think they lose much from last years squad. OVC should be an interesting three way race this year and maybe, survive the first round of the playoff's.

Kill'em
March 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Tex State lost stud QB and Dlineman...but should reload to an 8-3 season
Don't forget their leading receiver and about 20 other seniors.:D

Retro
March 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM

This response is a little late, but........

No one wrote you guys off last year.. In fact most people who know the SLC, expected you guys to either win the SLC or be one of the top 2 teams.. I was one of the few guys who picked you to be in the top 5..

see this thread....... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075

That being said, i echo what many others have said....

You lost over 2 dozen seniors.. That's 1/3rd of your team and many of them were top notch seniors, not part-time players.. In addition, even though you and some others may feel who have some subs or returning letterman ready to step up, doesn't mean they will or that the coach has the chemistry like he has the past 2 years... You also have to prove you can simply RELOAD after a couple of good seasons and not rebuild...

Chi Panther
March 28th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Don't forget their leading receiver and about 20 other seniors.:D

agreed....but the 2 guys I was referring to will play in the NFL.....

exbearkat
March 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM
agreed....but the 2 guys I was referring to will play in the NFL.....
Not so sure about that...

Evans - yes
Nealy - : smh :

Time will tell though. :cool:

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Not so sure about that...

Evans - yes
Nealy - : smh :

Time will tell though. :cool:

his stock is still rising. but yeah, we'll see. if nothing else, i think he'll find a spot on an NFL team as an "athlete."

HPCAT
March 29th, 2006, 07:12 PM
This response is a little late, but........

No one wrote you guys off last year.. In fact most people who know the SLC, expected you guys to either win the SLC or be one of the top 2 teams.. I was one of the few guys who picked you to be in the top 5..

see this thread....... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075

That being said, i echo what many others have said....

You lost over 2 dozen seniors.. That's 1/3rd of your team and many of them were top notch seniors, not part-time players.. In addition, even though you and some others may feel who have some subs or returning letterman ready to step up, doesn't mean they will or that the coach has the chemistry like he has the past 2 years... You also have to prove you can simply RELOAD after a couple of good seasons and not rebuild...

Retro, I give you full props on your accurate vision of how the season would play out for Texas State (TXST). :bow:

But, I disagree with your statement that no one wrote us off last year. Hell, over 90% of the "experts" on this board didn't even have TXST in their top 25. That is not a slam, just the facts. :nono:

In reality, the only SLC brethren that gave us any respect were from MSU, you, the Rocket, and some other MSU old timers, who have seen a game or two. :nod:

All of the young turk know-it-all types didn't even think Nealy should start, much less be SLC Player of the Year.

I still have jet lag from returning from China, I will address the "dud" topic later.

Peace

GoGatos
March 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM
You are right on the money HPCAT. I think, in particualr, it was Sam Houston fans (some...not all) who kept saying Nealy was garbage. And in fact, some still do, simply because he had an off night when we beat them in OT.

And Retro, I agree with you too. We DO have to prove that we can simply reload. The QB position is a major question mark and everyone on this board, at this point in time, should probably consider us a dud. However, I don't read too much into predictions made in March about what will happen in the fall...ESPECIALLY until after we see the 1-A transfers at the end of the spring.

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Haven't read through the 17 pages of posts, but I'll throw mine in here...

Keep in mind that I do not wish ill on anyone, but you asked for duds...

Appalachian State - Not a dud per se, but tough to go back to back. I'm not convinced that Trey Elder is the man. The little I saw of him, he looked like a turnover machine. Two tough OOC games, two easy ones... not a whole lot of room for error. I can see ASU missing the playoffs.

Texas State - From the few posts I read, I'm not alone in this one. Too many key losses on both sides of the ball.

Montana State - I've been down on the Bobcats for a couple years, but this year everyone will have to agree... 4-7 looms.

UNH - will narrowly miss the playoffs this year :eek: Teams will find a way to stop Ball and John McCoy won't be there to carry them. Connor McCormick's replacement misses a game winning FG somewhere along the line and the Cats finish 7-4.

Southern Illinois - Much like Montana State, I've not been as impressed as others have been with the Salukis over the past three years. Three Gateway losses plus Indiana equals no playoffs for the Salukis.

SunCoastBlueHen
March 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
UNH - will narrowly miss the playoffs this year :eek: Teams will find a way to stop Ball and John McCoy won't be there to carry them. Connor McCormick's replacement misses a game winning FG somewhere along the line and the Cats finish 7-4.

I got beat up for that prediction about a dozen pages back. :)

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I got beat up for that prediction about a dozen pages back. :)
Being the homer I am, I'm liking our chances (it is March keep in mind) in Newark and unless UNH beats Northwestern, they could be looking at 2-2 in September. Of course, I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time... especially the last week of September. :p

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I won't "beat you up" for that prediction, but if it happens I won't call it a "dud" season either! Rather it will just be life as we know it in the A-10!!

All depends on how it happened (if it does happen). If 7-4 occurs with a loss at Northwestern along with three close losses to A-10 foes (pick three out of UD, JMU, UNJ-R, Maine, UMass, Hofstra and Northeastern (road game)), then it's the A-10 doing what it usually does. Now, if they are not close losses, that's a different story.

Actually, RB is less of a concern to me because I think there is young talent waiting in the wings. And there is a lot of experience returning on the OL. My concerns are:

1. Three new assistant coaches to blend into the staff.
2. Significant inexperience on defense that has to be ready by the end of September (game at the Tub).
3. New placekicker.

Anybody in the A-10 who considers their team a lock for the playoffs in the Spring is setting themselves up for extreme disappointment come Turkey Day!!

89Hen
March 30th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I won't "beat you up" for that prediction, but if it happens I won't call it a "dud" season either! Rather it will just be life as we know it in the A-10!!
As in the case of AppSt, this season wouldn't be a "dud" in a vacuum, but given UNH's last two seasons and the expectation that they will be favored for a third trip to the playoffs with Santos and Ball returning, a 7-4 season would be a "dud". :twocents:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
As in the case of AppSt, this season wouldn't be a "dud" in a vacuum, but given UNH's last two seasons and the expectation that they will be favored for a third trip to the playoffs with Santos and Ball returning, a 7-4 season would be a "dud". :twocents:

You're tough! ;) xlolx

Nobody gave our defense any love last year when it was a veteran group. So, I guess you guys are expecting UNH to win a few games where they simply out score the opposition. Better have the defribulator ready for me if we get into a 55-48 type game (in regulation) at the Tub!! :nod:

OL FU
March 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
You're tough! ;) xlolx

Nobody gave our defense any love last year when it was a veteran group. So, I guess you guys are expecting UNH to win a few games where they simply out score the opposition. Better have the defribulator ready for me if we get into a 55-48 type game (in regulation) at the Tub!! :nod:

You actually think UD can score 48:confused: :D

SoCon48
March 31st, 2006, 01:06 AM

Appalachian State - Not a dud per se, but tough to go back to back. I'm not convinced that Trey Elder is the man. The little I saw of him, he looked like a turnover machine. Two tough OOC games, two easy ones... not a whole lot of room for error. I can see ASU missing the playoffs.

Keep in mind, what you saw was the sophomore version, and often behind the second team offense. Keep in mind, too, that he is no Richie Willimas (and as it turned out, neither was ANYBODY else). Trey will be a pocket passer. However, a pocket passer with a bevy of great receivers.
ASU may not repeat, but I wouldn't bring my B game to Boone this year, no matter who you are.
Prediction, GSU will lay a whipping on App in Statesboro, but it will be the only true whipping they get in I-AA. NCSU will aim both barrels at App, too, in Carter-Finley.
Prediction, two. ASU will end up somewhere in the top 10 + or - no matter their detractors.

SoCon48
March 31st, 2006, 01:09 AM
Being the homer I am, . :p

I'm gonna faint. A hen admitting even a modicum of bias. Must be a new 12 step program for Delawareans.;)

MYTAPPY
March 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
I'm gonna faint. A hen admitting even a modicum of bias. Must be a new 12 step program for Delawareans.;)

Now that was funny 1-AA 2005
:lmao:

SunCoastBlueHen
March 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM
Sleeper - Delaware - Why? Because I'm a freakin' homer.

Dud - UNH - Why? Because teams that are favored to win the A-10 never do. UNH will certainly be the favorite.

Some of us Hens fans are real about our bias. This is my quote from page one of this thread...

UNH 40
March 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
UNH - will narrowly miss the playoffs this year :eek: Teams will find a way to stop Ball.

Teams tried to stop him this past season, and they did in a way. He stopped playing at halftime in most games because he was torching opposing corners for 150 and a couple TD's.

You can blanket the kid with three guys and he will make catches, he has as good a pair of hands as anyone in college football, and maybe the best leaping ability of anyone.

STOP him xlolx xlolx xlolx good luck with that.

SoCon48
March 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Now that was funny 1-AA 2005
:lmao:
Too bad only a fellow App can appreciate it.

JCline

89Hen
April 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
Keep in mind, what you saw was the sophomore version, and often behind the second team offense.
Don't agree that just aging a year does anything to help fumbling the ball, and the few times I saw him was when the game was on the line, so it was certainly not the second team offense.

Mr. Tiger
September 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM

No. 1 Sleeper

Other sleepers

No. 1 Dud

Other possible duds

I was looking back at my picks and then started looking at some others. Wow, some of us were way off. One guy picked Stephen F. Austin as his top sleeper. xlolx Several picked New Hampshire as their Number 1 dud. Overall, I haven't done to bad. Texas State, Georgia Southern, Montana State and possibly Grambling have turned out right. That's all of my duds. :thumbsup: But South Carolina State and Southern have turned out bad as sleepers. Illinois State has looked good though. Hey, even my Jackson State Tigers are looking good. :hurray:

skinny_uncle
September 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

Fifteen minutes are up?
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif

BisonBacker
October 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I thought it would be fun to revisit this and see how everyone's predictions went so far. Pretty interesting stuff, some had made good calls and others were way off.

Kill'em
October 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I was off, we are a dud.

BisonBacker
October 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I was off, we are a dud.
Can't predict em right every time. Gotta keep the faith and hope for next year. Personally I'm enjoying our ride but am really looking forward to when we can make some noise in the playoffs.

Mr. Tiger
October 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Wow....I am good. xlolx I got everyone right accept Montana State and Southern.

No. 1 Sleeper

Other sleepers

No. 1 Dud

Other possible duds

Cat79
October 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
No. 1 Dud

Don't look now but you may be wrong about Texas State. We are now in second place in the SLC after a rough start.:nono:

Kill'em
October 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Can't predict em right every time. Gotta keep the faith and hope for next year. Personally I'm enjoying our ride but am really looking forward to when we can make some noise in the playoffs.
I really thought we would be a 9-2 team or better. I didn't expect to struggle all year and I certainly didn't expect us to have such a crappy offense (never thought I'd say that).

As for y'all, I think it is unfair to make you wait that long to become playoff eligible. You are more than ready now.

arranger101
October 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I was looking back at my picks and then started looking at some others. Wow, some of us were way off. One guy picked Stephen F. Austin as his top sleeper. xlolx Several picked New Hampshire as their Number 1 dud. Overall, I haven't done to bad. Texas State, Georgia Southern, Montana State and possibly Grambling have turned out right. That's all of my duds. :thumbsup: But South Carolina State and Southern have turned out bad as sleepers. Illinois State has looked good though. Hey, even my Jackson State Tigers are looking good. :hurray:

That's right, take it back Mr. Tiger!:nod: SCSU was and is still a sleeper team...right where we want to be!xcoffeex

89Hen
October 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
:eyebrow: :smiley_wi

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
UNH - will narrowly miss the playoffs this year Teams will find a way to stop Ball and John McCoy won't be there to carry them. Connor McCormick's replacement misses a game winning FG somewhere along the line and the Cats finish 7-4.

:eyebrow: :smiley_wi

So far, I don't think Ball being "stopped" or the current running backs matching John McCoy's preformance has been a factor. But after watching UNH miss the 2nd PAT out in Evanston, I too said that a missed FG or PAT was going to haunt UNH before this season was over.

Lost in all the discussion about the Northeastern game last Saturday, was a missed FG in the 2nd quarter. It was a very makeable FG (not the 45 yard attempt that was also missed) which ultimately cost UNH that game. Time will tell if that miss ends up costing the Wildcats a playoff bid.

And lord knows with November looming, the FGs become more difficult -- more wind and colder temperatures. And this Saturday's last game in October has a dreadful forecast for Durham (according to New England Cable News) with wind and rain. A repeat of the 9-7 William & Mary win in 2004 type game is a definite possibility. And IIRC Connor McCormick missed three FGs in that game while Greg Kuehn (SP?????) made three.

rcny46
October 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I wasn't at the Northwestern game,and I didn't make it to Newark,but I've seen the rest,and I was optimistic that their kicking game would be more than adequate this year.I still think that Manning and Bishop will mature into competent kickers.It is too bad that the two FG's were missed last week.As you mentioned,just one of those going through the uprights would have made the difference between winning and losing.It will be interesting to see if the coaching staff continues to rotate the two of them.

89Hen
October 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
So far, I don't think Ball being "stopped" or the current running backs matching John McCoy's preformance has been a factor. But after watching UNH miss the 2nd PAT out in Evanston, I too said that a missed FG or PAT was going to haunt UNH before this season was over.
C'mon, I'm not right often on my predictions, give me a little time to pat myself on the back. :p

Agaisnt JMU Ball was held without a TD and UNH had 32 yards on 16 carries (not counting Santos)

And in the NU game like you said UNH was 0-2 on FG's.

You lose to UMass in two weeks and my 7-4 starts to get a little scarier going on the road for the final two games. ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
C'mon, I'm not right often on my predictions, give me a little time to pat myself on the back. :p

My bad, I meant to commend you on that kicking projection because that one was spot on!! :o

Agaisnt JMU Ball was held without a TD and UNH had 32 yards on 16 carries (not counting Santos)

True, but I felt that that wasn't the primary reason UNH lost that game. With a better throw, Ball would have had his TD early. But UNH scored on that drive so it was a moot point if you will. Poor throws led to the INT returned for a JMU TD as well as at least two missed opportunities for TDs in the 1st half. Add in a 2nd Quarter fumble inside the 20 and instead of UNH staying ahead of JMU, the Dukes grabbed the lead and took control of the game with their ball control offense. (That is meant to be a complimentary statement toward JMU BTW.) JMHO, but Ball not catching a TD or the poor running game that day weren't the causes for the Wildcats losing. Every knowledgeable UNH fan knew we couldn't let JMU control the type of game played.

And in the NU game like you said UNH was 0-2 on FG's.

You lose to UMass in two weeks and my 7-4 starts to get a little scarier going on the road for the final two games. ;)

Absolutely my friend!! And the probability of a monsoon game this Saturday is making things even scarier!!

Still, I'll never call 7-4 this year a dud because I sincerely felt there were too many questions on the OL and Defense for UNH to have gotten as high a pre-season ranking as they did. If we returned the OL that was expected at the end of last season, then yes the Santos-Ball offense should have been able to overwhelm enough teams to make the playoffs regardless of the defensive inexperience. But that didn't happen and UNH started the season with an inexperienced OL. That's not a key to success in the uber-competitive A-10. :twocents:

Longhorn
October 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Dud:

JMU. 2004 was the only year they won more than 8 games since 1994's 10-3 season. They're 39-33 since 2000 for an average of 6 1/2 wins a season. Take out the NC year and they're 26-31. Right now they seem to be a 'once a decade kind of team'.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Did somebody at JMU run over your cat? :confused: Or are you still trying to recover from the hurt UD put on your team in the '03 NC game? ;)

Hindsight is always 20-20, so I'm not gonna give you alot of grief for your early season "guesses" but your original posts slamming JMU were a little harsh wouldn't you agree? :nod: In light of his experience at the W&M game, I think Ralph would attest that JMU's FB program is the real deal for not only this year, but has been steadily built with an eye towards sustaining long-term success. JMU a dud? xlolx xlolx xlolx Yeah, all programs could only wish to be so unsuccessful.

JMUfan2008
October 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Did somebody at JMU run over your cat? :confused: Or are you still trying to recover from the hurt UD put on your team in the '03 NC game? ;)

Hindsight is always 20-20, so I'm not gonna give you alot of grief for your early season "guesses" but your original posts slamming JMU were a little harsh wouldn't you agree? :nod: In light of his experience at the W&M game, I think Ralph would attest that JMU's FB program is the real deal for not only this year, but has been steadily built with an eye towards sustaining long-term success. JMU a dud? xlolx xlolx xlolx Yeah, all programs could only wish to be so unsuccessful.

yeah seriously....we're kinda #5 right now and if we beat Richmond we have a chance at moving up in the rankings... 2004 a fluke? 2005 we lost 4 games, I think no more than 6 point margins on most if not all our losses... Next year we'll lose some key players but we'll still have Holloman at RB and Landers stepping in at QB has me confident of another one of those all elusive "8 win" seasons. And considering our administration is looking to move up to I-A (or I guess Div I - Playoff division or whatever) in the next 10ish years, don't look for us to go away anytime soon. After the past few years the program has built up and the students/players/admin are never looking back. Any less than 7 wins from here on out will be a disappointment.

ASU Kep
October 27th, 2006, 01:27 AM
It was great to read back through this. Most people were 80% wrong, while some were eerily accurate. I think it'd be fun next season to do an official "contest" for the sleepers and duds, to be awarded at the end of the season. Something along the lines of "compared to their 2006 W/L finish (or conference finish, etc.), who will improve/decline the most?" Awards go out to the best (and worst) predictors. Perhaps a banner like the AGS Contributor thing? Ties would be broken through playoff predictions. Just an idea.

Ronbo
October 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
When will the early season predictions of Montana's downfall going to come true? 2008 will be a test, we have a lot of Junior starters.

As for this year I like our chances for 10-1 or 9-2. We still have a dangerous offense in ISU this weekend, a dangerous defense in Cal Poly next weekend, and throw out the records for the UM/MSU game. All those games are at Washington Grizzly stadium thank God.

89Hen
October 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Hindsight is always 20-20, so I'm not gonna give you alot of grief for your early season "guesses" but your original posts slamming JMU were a little harsh wouldn't you agree?
:rolleyes: It was a prediction and one that really wasn't as wild as you'd like to portray it. Many teams in the A10 have had flashes of brilliance only to fall back to mediocrity. Maine did it, W&M did it, Nova's done it... there's no need to bash someone that thought it could happen to JMU. The Dukes look very good right now, but they still have four conference games to go. Bloomsburg, VMI, URI and W&M don't exactly look like world beaters right now so we have very little good data to go on. I watched the win over UNH and it was very impressive and the whalloping of NU looks better now then it did when it happened. Let's just see how it plays out.

Longhorn
October 27th, 2006, 01:11 PM
:rolleyes: It was a prediction and one that really wasn't as wild as you'd like to portray it. Many teams in the A10 have had flashes of brilliance only to fall back to mediocrity. Maine did it, W&M did it, Nova's done it... there's no need to bash someone that thought it could happen to JMU. The Dukes look very good right now, but they still have four conference games to go. Bloomsburg, VMI, URI and W&M don't exactly look like world beaters right now so we have very little good data to go on. I watched the win over UNH and it was very impressive and the whalloping of NU looks better now then it did when it happened. Let's just see how it plays out.

The original prediction, which was followed up by two additional negative postings concerning JMU on this thread, was actually "wilder" then I've portrayed it, but I'm trying to be a gentleman here :smiley_wi

The main failure of the original posts IMO was the unwillingness or inability to objectively recognize/acknowledge that JMU has built, and is continuing to enhance, what has become a solid FB program. I also found it a little amusing that a Colgate fan should find exception to JMU's on-field success, when the direction of Colgate's program wouldn't bode well if it competed day-in-and-day out in the A10. But we're all entitled to our opinions. :bow: We're also entitled to call each other out when those opinions prove to be particularly silly. :nod:

That said, will there be ups and down years for any program? Sure, we all experience them. See GSU. Yet when a team/program returns large numbers of starting skill-position players who've won a NC, has added to them outstanding back-to-back recruiting classes and transfers, and has a stable, solid coaching staff, well, to draw the conclusions that JMU would be a "dud" looks to be exceptionally xidiotx ....in hindsight. :smiley_wi

89Hen
October 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
The main failure of the original posts IMO was the unwillingness or inability to objectively recognize/acknowledge that JMU has built, and is continuing to enhance, what has become a solid FB program.
Wow, I wish I had saved some of the posts of the other A10 fans that have said this about their program in the past. You'd be amazed how eerily similar this post is to the Maine posts in 2001. Not to take anything away from JMU, but there is no proof yet that JMU has become anything other than a playoff contender this year. We need to revisit this in 5 years.

BTW, keep in mind that I hope all the A10 teams set attendance records every year and that they all dump a bunch of money into their facilities. I don't wish ill on anyone in the A10.

Longhorn
October 27th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Wow, I wish I had saved some of the posts of the other A10 fans that have said this about their program in the past. You'd be amazed how eerily similar this post is to the Maine posts in 2001. Not to take anything away from JMU, but there is no proof yet that JMU has become anything other than a playoff contender this year. We need to revisit this in 5 years.

BTW, keep in mind that I hope all the A10 teams set attendance records every year and that they all dump a bunch of money into their facilities. I don't wish ill on anyone in the A10.

Comparing JMU to Maine is like comparing UD to...well, Maine :smiley_wi

I know UD likes to think of its FB program as a benchmark for the A10 (and I believe it is) but JMU's investments in its program have been substantial, and our recruiting and on-field success speak for themselves. Five years? No, let's revisit this after this season. :smiley_wi

GannonFan
October 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I agree with 89 here, and it's no knock to JMU, but let's see what happens over a period of time. JMU's ascendency is in all but it's 3rd year right now, and the 2 years before it were a national title and a year without making the playoffs. JMU looks to be on a good course right now but 2 bad weeks (this week against Richmond and next week against UD) could upset the apple cart. I don't think that it will and I think JMU looks pretty well poised for a playoff appearance this year, but who knows for sure. Irregardless, that would be 2 playoff appearances in 3 years. That's good, but that by itself is not proof that a program will be similarily competitive for the next 5-10 years. Maine was a decent example - they pumped a lot of money into a new stadium, they have coaching consistency with Cosgrove, and they had playoff success in 2001 and 2002 (I think they won the conference both years) and they've not been to the playoffs since. In 2003 you would've said that Maine's turned it around - in 2006 you're wondering why they haven't made the playoffs since. These are long term issues - 5 years, 10 years, etc - they don't get resolved overnight.

Longhorn
October 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with 89 here, and it's no knock to JMU, but let's see what happens over a period of time. JMU's ascendency is in all but it's 3rd year right now, and the 2 years before it were a national title and a year without making the playoffs. JMU looks to be on a good course right now but 2 bad weeks (this week against Richmond and next week against UD) could upset the apple cart. I don't think that it will and I think JMU looks pretty well poised for a playoff appearance this year, but who knows for sure. Irregardless, that would be 2 playoff appearances in 3 years. That's good, but that by itself is not proof that a program will be similarily competitive for the next 5-10 years. Maine was a decent example - they pumped a lot of money into a new stadium, they have coaching consistency with Cosgrove, and they had playoff success in 2001 and 2002 (I think they won the conference both years) and they've not been to the playoffs since. In 2003 you would've said that Maine's turned it around - in 2006 you're wondering why they haven't made the playoffs since. These are long term issues - 5 years, 10 years, etc - they don't get resolved overnight.

Tell me again how many NCs Maine has won? : smh : A little perspective is warranted here as you are obviously unaware (or dismissive) of JMU's 1AA success in the '90s under Rip Scherer...a trend interrupted only when Rip left JMU for a 1A head coaching gig and Alex Woods was hired to replace him. :bang: The point here is your comments are about a decade obsolete. JMU's program (prior to the Woods debacle) was headed in the right direction, and the Mickey Matthew's era has not only rebuilt JMU's program, he has now surpassed the levels of success previously set by Scherer.

I've already stipulated that UD is the measuring stick by which all A10 FB programs should be measured...agreed? So let's look at the factual record and make the comparison between UD, JMU and Maine, starting with 2003, the year UD won their NC under your new coach. The cumulative won-loss and playoff records from 2003 thru the games played this season for these three schools are:

UD 34-13 2 Playoff Appearances 1NC
JMU 32-11 1 Playoff Appearance 1NC
Maine 22*-19 No Playoff Appearances (*Includes a forfeit win over W&M)

Now, tell me again that JMU is like Maine? :nono: As it was once said by a very wise man, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. :smiley_wi

There's alot of football yet to be played this season, yet it would be a fair bet UD won't make the playoffs this season, and JMU and Maine will, or at least JMU will. Not talking smack here, just looking at the percentages and how the teams have played to date. Obviously, if UD is the measuring stick of 1AA success in the A10, by the end of the '06 season JMU may well match, if not exceed, UD's W-L and playoff record. Looking forward to seeing UD in Harrisonburg next week! Should be a great game!

skinny_uncle
October 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

What year do you figure TA will turn around Misery State, Cap'n?
Youngstown already has 6 wins, by the way. Kind of eats at you don't it, Cap'n.
SIU has been ranked in the top 20 for 40+ weeks. A bit more than 15 minutes.
Montana is in first place in their conference. Era still going?

GannonFan
October 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Tell me again how many NCs Maine has won? : smh : A little perspective is warranted here as you are obviously unaware (or dismissive) of JMU's 1AA success in the '90s under Rip Scherer...a trend interrupted only when Rip left JMU for a 1A head coaching gig and Alex Woods was hired to replace him. :bang: The point here is your comments are about a decade obsolete. JMU's program (prior to the Woods debacle) was headed in the right direction, and the Mickey Matthew's era has not only rebuilt JMU's program, he has now surpassed the levels of success previously set by Scherer.

I've already stipulated that UD is the measuring stick by which all A10 FB programs should be measured...agreed? So let's look at the factual record and make the comparison between UD, JMU and Maine, starting with 2003, the year UD won their NC under your new coach. The cumulative won-loss and playoff records from 2003 thru the games played this season for these three schools are:

Now, tell me again that JMU is like Maine? :nono: As it was once said by a very wise man, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. :smiley_wi

There's alot of football yet to be played this season, yet it would be a fair bet UD won't make the playoffs this season, and JMU and Maine will, or at least JMU will. Not talking smack here, just looking at the percentages and how the teams have played to date. Obviously, if UD is the measuring stick of 1AA success in the A10, by the end of the '06 season JMU may well match, if not exceed, UD's W-L and playoff record. Looking forward to seeing UD in Harrisonburg next week! Should be a great game!

Like I said, measuring it over such a small time period (since 2003) is just a small sample size. That;s 3 years of football so far. Hard to judge program longevity on something that small. As for Maine, that's the point of all this - if we had this discussion 3 years ago entering 2003, Maine would be coming off of 2 playoffs and conference championships in 3 years, a hot coach, a program that supopsedly recruits very well, and the mainejeff's (maybe not him per se) of the world saying that with the facilities upgrades Maine was here to stay. By your own admission, they haven't done that - thus the hazard of small timeframes.

As for Rip, I'm very well familiar with where JMU was in the 90's, but that also represents the fragileness of all this - Rip moved on for an ok gig at IA Memphis - not a huge program but I imagine a step up. Can JMU keep Matthews longer than they kept Rip, and if they can't can they avoid a Wood-type hire again? Coaching turnover has been a problem previously and a key to where JMU goes from here depends on if that's no longer a problem.

No one is begruding JMU their due - it's a great program with great support, great facilities, and currently in good shape. But this is still just year 3 of that rebirth - still a little early to tell if this will stick or if another Wood-era is on the horizon.

Longhorn
October 28th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Like I said, measuring it over such a small time period (since 2003) is just a small sample size. That;s 3 years of football so far. Hard to judge program longevity on something that small. As for Maine, that's the point of all this - if we had this discussion 3 years ago entering 2003, Maine would be coming off of 2 playoffs and conference championships in 3 years, a hot coach, a program that supopsedly recruits very well, and the mainejeff's (maybe not him per se) of the world saying that with the facilities upgrades Maine was here to stay. By your own admission, they haven't done that - thus the hazard of small timeframes.

As for Rip, I'm very well familiar with where JMU was in the 90's, but that also represents the fragileness of all this - Rip moved on for an ok gig at IA Memphis - not a huge program but I imagine a step up. Can JMU keep Matthews longer than they kept Rip, and if they can't can they avoid a Wood-type hire again? Coaching turnover has been a problem previously and a key to where JMU goes from here depends on if that's no longer a problem.

No one is begruding JMU their due - it's a great program with great support, great facilities, and currently in good shape. But this is still just year 3 of that rebirth - still a little early to tell if this will stick or if another Wood-era is on the horizon.

2003-2004-2005-2006 (yes, I'm including this season) is a four year period Gannon...:rolleyes:...but perhaps you're counting on a JMU meltdown these last four games of this season? :eyebrow: Wouldn't bet the house on it. :smiley_wi

We can agree that coaching turnover(s) can have a huge negative impact on a program, and that JMU's recovery from Woods' mismanagement (principally in his inability to recruit) took longer than anyone would have liked. JMU will also have to replace this year's talented senior class in '07. Yet, at this point in Matthews' tenure it should be clear to an objective observer that the program's foundation is solid, and that the talent has been recruited to "reload" as opposed to "rebuild". And quite honestly, in comparing JMU to the A10's "flagship" (UD)...it would appear that Keeler and the UD administration may have more questions to answer than Matthews as to what direction their respective programs are moving in. :smiley_wi

All that said, we both know the A10 is a very competitive league, and getting more so. "AGS" would be a silly cliche if not so true. Frankly, I'm more concerned about Towson than I am UD this year...not that I don't think UD can't or won't beat us next week...or UR for that matter tomorrow...both certainly could...but the dynamics of playing UD on our home field with the motivation of avenging last year's loss is exactly the same motivation Towson will have to knock JMU off at their place. :eek:

One last comment, then I'll let this thread go. I honestly think Keeler is doing an excellent job at UD, and can't quite buy into some of the criticism aimed at him by the UD Nation this season. How UD finishes the season may quiet (should quiet) the doubters who have been calling for his head. But as far as 89's and your comparing JMU to Maine, or to any other A10 program's prospects for the future as "wannabes" until they have a track record of 5-10 years in length is just flat out silly. Simple as that. You can be as stubborn and as married to your opinions as you want, but JMU has nothing to "prove" at this point. Like George Thoroughgood and his Delaware Destroyers put it "move it on over, a big ol'e dawg is moving in" :smiley_wi

Uncle Buck
October 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
All i know is while we weren't slated to be world beaters, Hofstra is a major DUD!

89Hen
October 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM
The cumulative won-loss and playoff records from 2003 thru the games played this season for these three schools are:

Now, tell me again that JMU is like Maine? :nono: As it was once said by a very wise man, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.
:bang: :bang: Longhorn, history is obviously lost on you. See you in five years.

Longhorn
October 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
:bang: :bang: Longhorn, history is obviously lost on you. See you in five years.

I'm assuming you read? :eyebrow: Comprehension obviously needs some work tho...math skills too. :smiley_wi

Should be interesting if UD shows up and really competes at JMU after today's disappointing loss to Towson...I know JMU will be looking for blood.

Kill'em
October 29th, 2006, 10:08 PM
While I consider us to be a major dud, I think "Dud of the Year" goes to Western Carolina. They made me look bad. I thought they were a playoff contender. :(

Daved
October 30th, 2006, 12:01 AM
What year do you figure TA will turn around Misery State, Cap'n?
Youngstown already has 6 wins, by the way. Kind of eats at you don't it, Cap'n.
SIU has been ranked in the top 20 for 40+ weeks. A bit more than 15 minutes.
Montana is in first place in their conference. Era still going?
Thats typical for a Crap'n Cat prediction he also had his mighty Panthers as 39-0 victors over WIU-as I've said before he needs to spend more time in the litter box and less time making predictions!

89Hen
October 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Comprehension obviously needs some work tho
Yes, your comprehension is lacking. The fact that Maine has been down for the last couple years IS MY ENTIRE POINT!!!!! :rolleyes: xidiotx :nonono2: See you in 5.

Bobcat in NC
October 30th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Keep in mind that I do not wish ill on anyone, but you asked for duds...

Texas State - From the few posts I read, I'm not alone in this one. Too many key losses on both sides of the ball.

Montana State - I've been down on the Bobcats for a couple years, but this year everyone will have to agree... 4-7 looms.

Southern Illinois - Much like Montana State, I've not been as impressed as others have been with the Salukis over the past three years. Three Gateway losses plus Indiana equals no playoffs for the Salukis.

Hmmmmm. :nono: :smiley_wi

GoGuins
October 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Good thread, Tiger.

Cap'n Cat's #1 Sleeper:

Cap'n Cat's Duds:

Way off on these Cappy

MSU-beaten by Indy State, currently 1-8, 0-5
YSU - currently 7-2, 4-1 and 1st in GFC

xlolx xlolx :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
My University of Dayton Flyers. Now 0-5 and in dead last in the PFL.... We have not lost 5 games in a row since 1974!! And, our string of 29 winning season is now, officially over! Major bummer!!

89Hen
October 30th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Hmmmmm. :nono: :smiley_wi
:nod: :o :bow: Win some, lose some. :D

Mr. C
October 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
While I consider us to be a major dud, I think "Dud of the Year" goes to Western Carolina. They made me look bad. I thought they were a playoff contender. :(
You and me both. They actually started the season off strong and that comeback win over EKU seemed impressive. Little did we know that EKU would be an underachieving team, too. WCU's problems are too many injuies and almost no depth on this squad. I fully agree with them as the dud of the year.

Longhorn
October 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, your comprehension is lacking. The fact that Maine has been down for the last couple years IS MY ENTIRE POINT!!!!! :rolleyes: xidiotx :nonono2: See you in 5.

xidiotx Have fun watching JMU in the playoffs this year. :nod:

FlyYtown
October 30th, 2006, 05:50 PM
My University of Dayton Flyers. Now 0-5 and in dead last in the PFL.... We have not lost 5 games in a row since 1974!! And, our string of 29 winning season is now, officially over! Major bummer!!

Now it may not've been you, but I've read quite a few peoples posts from Dayton on here who seem to think Dayton would and could beat YSU.....

It's like saying Mount Union could beat YSU.... lol and maybe they could.

JUST PLAYING...

I am still dying from readin cap'n cat's predictions!!!! MSU and YSU.... You could'nt have been more wrong!

DetroitFlyer
October 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
This season, Dayton would not be competitive with YSU, but in general, I think it is a game that should be played every year. I cannot believe that YSU scheduled Stony Brook. A YSU / Dayton series makes sense on so many levels, and it is true that YSU has never defeated Dayton. All time I think we are 9-0 against YSU. It is about time we make it 10+, just not this year!:D

FlyYtown
October 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM
This season, Dayton would not be competitive with YSU, but in general, I think it is a game that should be played every year. I cannot believe that YSU scheduled Stony Brook. A YSU / Dayton series makes sense on so many levels, and it is true that YSU has never defeated Dayton. All time I think we are 9-0 against YSU. It is about time we make it 10+, just not this year!:D

Tell your Athletic Director that.. He is the reason we are not playing... On a number of occasions, our AD Ron Strollo said the Dayton AD did not return his calls....

Hence: Stony Brook!!!
NO MORE D2!

Madisonian
October 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Sleeper:

Elon. Lembo gets the troops winning sooner rather than later (but let's be realistic. It won't be 10-1; maybe 6-5.) Still a huge improvement!

Dud:

Where's this Colgate D'bag been this season? Not heard much else out him since September rolled around...

Madisonian
October 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
For the A-10:

Sleepers: Maine

Duds: JMU

another prophet... pure genius. See you on Satuday, chicken.

carney2
October 30th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Don't know why this thread has been revived. I am assuming that updates are in order.

Sleeper: The entire "first division" of the Ivy League - Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Penn. These are good teams that could play with anyone in I-AA.

Duds: Too many to name. Just check out last week's AGS Top 25 and look at all of those losses. Some call it parity.

GoGuins
October 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM

I would like the teams to play, keep the money in state (Stony Brook). But we've been over this many times, Dayton had trouble with DIII Wittenburg and would get beat by Mount Union, I hope you are being sarcastic when you say Dayton could be competitve with YSU. Maybe back in the 70's when you had your win streak against us, but now or even the past 25 years, no contest. It's over even before the game begins. YSU would get more competition from MUC, no smack intended, just reality.

Daved
November 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Way off on these Cappy

MSU-beaten by Indy State, currently 1-8, 0-5
YSU - currently 7-2, 4-1 and 1st in GFC

xlolx xlolx :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Way off as per usual -this clown has even less credibility than you and thats damn near impssible!And you said this guy BURIED me?? Yeah right ..What kind of drugs are you on down there?? Take it down to smack any day ,you clowns are lame.

Daved
November 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Now it may not've been you, but I've read quite a few peoples posts from Dayton on here who seem to think Dayton would and could beat YSU.....

It's like saying Mount Union could beat YSU.... lol and maybe they could.

JUST PLAYING...

I am still dying from readin cap'n cat's predictions!!!! MSU and YSU.... You could'nt have been more wrong!
I doubt Dayton could beat us but think Mount Union would give them a battle.SDSU has beaten UC Davis but earlier in the season got beat themselves by 14pts to a Division 3 team! Old cappy also missed the mark on Montana's supposed demise as well as SIU's-I guess it was all just wishful thinking on his part.