PDA

View Full Version : Colgate and South Dakota agree to 2012 matchup

Go...gate
March 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=6290

darell1976
March 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Good game!! I hope we play the Yotes in the near future.

RichH2
March 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Nice pick up for Gate. Fordham,Gate, Lehigh and Lafayette scheduling up. Will that help move the PL into a more competitive posture nationally or will it serve to fracture the PL?

DFW HOYA
March 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Nice pick up for Gate. Fordham,Gate, Lehigh and Lafayette scheduling up.

Georgetown probably won't. With a 9-45 record it's not exactly a priority right now.

Go...gate
March 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Nice pick up for Gate. Fordham, Gate, Lehigh and Lafayette scheduling up. Will that help move the PL into a more competitive posture nationally or will it serve to fracture the PL?

Hard to tell at this point, but Albany, Yale and Maine are also on the 2012 non-conference slate at this point, and Dartmouth (end of contract) and Cornell (one-year series break) will be off.

RichH2
March 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Cross got UNH , I think for a home and home. I would like to see PL get some games with Wofford, Elon Citadel etc. GU is in its own predicament. But if they can recruit as well as they have this year for 2-3 yr in a row the bad years will become a memory. xnodx

UNHWILDCATS05
March 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Cross got UNH , I think for a home and home. I would like to see PL get some games with Wofford, Elon Citadel etc. GU is in its own predicament. But if they can recruit as well as they have this year for 2-3 yr in a row the bad years will become a memory. xnodx

Nope

Go...gate
March 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Aren't UNH and Lehigh playing for a few years?

Wildcat80
March 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Wish that it were so!! Do not know why it did not.

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Aren't UNH and Lehigh playing for a few years?

I think it was just a 2 year deal (last season and this year), but I could be wrong.

ngineer
March 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I think it was just a 2 year deal (last season and this year), but I could be wrong.

That is my understanding, too. However, doesn't mean a new contract can't be done if mutual dates are available. I know we have some open dates in 2012, which some were hoping at least one would be used for a 'pay day' game with Rutgers or other FBS regional school. But keeping the Wildcats on the schedule would be great.

TheValleyRaider
March 14th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Nice xnodx

Maybe we can get the Yotes out to Hamilton in the near future as well

CFBfan
March 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Georgetown probably won't. With a 9-45 record it's not exactly a priority right now.

with Yale, Princeton and Brown next year the schedule is an upgrade over this coming season (Wagner & Davidson complete the non conf games).....

Yote 53
March 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think this is a one game deal but it is now the third time our schools have competed. We've had a home and home in basketball, so maybe this will lead to something down the road.

I'm excited for this game and learning a little more about Colgate. I see you guys are in the Patriot League. I've muddled through some threads here, is the PL non-scholarship? I thought I've read where some schools are giving scholarships now.

Checked out your AD website. Your stadium has a capacity of 10,000, what do you guys average for games? That hockey rink looks like a cozy place for game. How many does that hold? Around here the hockey playing schools have 8,000-10,000 seat arenas.

TheValleyRaider
March 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I think this is a one game deal but it is now the third time our schools have competed. We've had a home and home in basketball, so maybe this will lead to something down the road.

Hmmm, I don't remember that matchup. Colgate record book says one meeting in the 60s, though if that number in your name is a class year, I suppose you would remember that better than me xlolx

I'm excited for this game and learning a little more about Colgate. I see you guys are in the Patriot League. I've muddled through some threads here, is the PL non-scholarship? I thought I've read where some schools are giving scholarships now.

For all intents and purposes, yes, the Patriot League is nonscholarship. We do award equivalencies, but they're more complicated, based generally on an individual student's financial need. Others can explain it better than me, LFN in particular, but that's the gist of it

Fordham started awarding scholarships last year, so they are techinically not eligible for the League title. We still play them, partially because they still want to be a member, partially because we may end up allowing scholarships in two years, and because it's just easier on everyone's schedules

Checked out your AD website. Your stadium has a capacity of 10,000, what do you guys average for games? That hockey rink looks like a cozy place for game. How many does that hold? Around here the hockey playing schools have 8,000-10,000 seat arenas.

The stadium seats 10,000, but we haven't approached that in years. Our average is around 4,000, pushing as high as 6,000 if the game is built up enough

Ahh, good old Starr Rink. Holds a little more than 2,000, only sells out when we play Cornell. Having seeing a hockey rink in that neck of the woods (the Ralph), I can tell you ours looks nothing like that

Yote 53
March 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Ahhh, my bad, we played a home and home with Cornell in basketball the last two years. Sorry I mixed that up, we're just getting used to the east coast schools.

Yeah, Starr Rink seats a tad fewer than The Ralph, Mariucci, National Hockey Center, etc, etc. But at least you have hockey and that tight barn can make for a hostile crowd, I bet.

If I remember correct, I believe USD is now at or close to the 63 scholarship level. I know we are over 58, and have been for a couple seasons.

Ivytalk
March 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Well, I'm jealous! Harvard has no such adventurous road trips scheduled this year.

TheBisonator
March 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
1 real one (UND) and 3 wannabe's (USD, NDSU, SDSU).xsmiley_wix

I've always wondered what it's really like having to live in a world seperate from reality...xcoffeex

TheValleyRaider
March 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ahhh, my bad, we played a home and home with Cornell in basketball the last two years. Sorry I mixed that up, we're just getting used to the east coast schools.

Ahhhh! xeekx xpissedx xeekx Don't confuse us with Ivy A&M from the People's Republic of Ithaca! xnonox xnonono2x xsmiley_wix

Yeah, Starr Rink seats a tad fewer than The Ralph, Mariucci, National Hockey Center, etc, etc. But at least you have hockey and that tight barn can make for a hostile crowd, I bet.

For that one game a year? Yeah, it's pretty raucous. Otherwise, it's kinda empty. There are allegedly plans somewhere for a new rink, but that's going to be several years away at the absolute earliest...

Go...gate
March 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM

If I remember correct, I believe USD is now at or close to the 63 scholarship level. I know we are over 58, and have been for a couple seasons.

Starr can be raucous when full on a snowy winter night. Back in the day it was sold out quite often. I still like the place. xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
1 real one (UND) and 3 wannabe's (USD, NDSU, SDSU).xsmiley_wix

......UND has a FB team?........wow. Are they any good?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
March 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
......UND has a FB team?........wow. Are they any good?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Same FCS titles as NDSU.....Zero.

Bogus Megapardus
March 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
With Colgate playing South Dakota in 2012, and Lafayette playing NDSU in September, how do Dakotans view games against Patriot League schools? Do Dakotans know anything about the Patriot League, its members, or its football programs? Do you think these games provide a greater benefit to the Dakota schools or the Patriot League schools?

Franks Tanks
March 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
While the average Lafayette fan may not care a whole lot that we are playing NDSU, it is great for our young team to play a top 10 FCS team in a hostile setting. I am sure NDSU looks at us as an easy win, and if we don't improve quite a bit that may be the case.

darell1976
March 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
With Colgate playing South Dakota in 2012, and Lafayette playing NDSU in September, how do Dakotans view games against Patriot League schools? Do Dakotans know anything about the Patriot League, its members, or its football programs? Do you think these games provide a greater benefit to the Dakota schools or the Patriot League schools?

We sell Holy Cross shirts up here of course it has to do with them beating the #1 Minnesota Gophers in the NCAA West Regionals in hockey. Oh what un upset that was. Other than hockey and of course Georgetown and Bucknell basketball I don't know much about Patriot League football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
While the average Lafayette fan may not care a whole lot that we are playing NDSU, it is great for our young team to play a top 10 FCS team in a hostile setting. I am sure NDSU looks at us as an easy win, and if we don't improve quite a bit that may be the case.

I think most NDSU fans view the Lafayette game as an easy win.....or should be. With the amount of starters the Bison have coming back, I'm expecting a Win for the Bison.

IMO, I like seeing eastern FCS teams come to Fargo. I would also like to see CAA teams come here but that will not happen if it is one game. Maybe a home/home would get some of the CAA teams to come to Fargo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM

I think it is safe to say that NDSU has a better chance of reaching the title game or winning it compared to UND right now. With that horrid schedule this year, a decent record might be in order. Big Sky competition will definitely raise the bar for UND.

I wish GT would have scheduled UND this year.....it would have been a blow-out win for the Bison.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
March 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I think most NDSU fans view the Lafayette game as an easy win.....or should be. With the amount of starters the Bison have coming back, I'm expecting a Win for the Bison.

IMO, I like seeing eastern FCS teams come to Fargo. I would also like to see CAA teams come here but that will not happen if it is one game. Maybe a home/home would get some of the CAA teams to come to Fargo.

Most Patriot fans view the Lafayette game as an easy win for NDSU as well, especially given the Leopards' record last season - but it will be a much different kind of game than the coaches (on both sides) are accustomed to.

There's no reason (other than the normal scheduling and travel constraints) why NDSU (or other Dakota teams) can't play CAA teams. Patriot teams regularly schedule home-and-home series with CAA teams. They even have been known to win a few, now and then.

TheBisonator
March 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM

How many FCS playoff games have you won?

Have you ever been to the FCS playoffs?

Have you ever hosted an FCS playoff game at the Alerus??

Next topic...

darell1976
March 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM
How many FCS playoff games have you won?

Have you ever been to the FCS playoffs?

Have you ever hosted an FCS playoff game at the Alerus??

Next topic...

Not eligible
Not eligible

I love how Bison fans make fun of UND having 3 wins but yet in 2009 didn't NDSU have 3 wins.xconfusedx

darell1976
March 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I think it is safe to say that NDSU has a better chance of reaching the title game or winning it compared to UND right now. With that horrid schedule this year, a decent record might be in order. Big Sky competition will definitely raise the bar for UND.

I wish GT would have scheduled UND this year.....it would have been a blow-out win for the Bison.
xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

You couldn't blow us out in D2 what makes you think you would blow us out now. But we won't know until at least 2012.

JBB
March 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Great game for USD! Good for the Dakota Big 3 too: NDSU, SDSU and USD.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 17th, 2011, 07:59 PM
You couldn't blow us out in D2 what makes you think you would blow us out now. But we won't know until at least 2012.

Take the USD and SDSU games last year.....common opponents.

You lost to USD 17-27 and SDSU 0-21. Bison beat USD 38-16 and the Jacks 31-24.

You actually think with all the starters NDSU has coming back (17-18) that UND could beat them this coming year......LOL

2012? Oh, ya......UND will make the FCS playoffs...right?

Hopefully GT will schedule UND. Nice warm-up game before the MV conference games start.

darell1976
March 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Take the USD and SDSU games last year.....common opponents.

You lost to USD 17-27 and SDSU 0-21. Bison beat USD 38-16 and the Jacks 31-24.

You actually think with all the starters NDSU has coming back (17-18) that UND could beat them this coming year......LOL

2012? Oh, ya......UND will make the FCS playoffs...right?

Hopefully GT will schedule UND. Nice warm-up game before the MV conference games start.

Not this again. We beat this team that beat that team BS. As for UND beating NDSU this coming year....don't know it's not going to happen. As for 2012. We are eligible so sure why not. All UND has to do is win its games and they are automatically in. Hey anyone can beat anyone.

Twentysix
March 18th, 2011, 03:00 AM

No, the layfette game is viewed the same way Austin peay morgan state CCSU Wagner are viewed. Cupcake home game.

I really doubt most people in the fargodome could even name 4 FCS conferences.

Twentysix
March 18th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Not eligible
Not eligible

I love how Bison fans make fun of UND having 3 wins but yet in 2009 didn't NDSU have 3 wins.xconfusedx

If the sioux thing isnt dropped UND can never host a playoff football game right?

Twentysix
March 18th, 2011, 03:06 AM
No, the layfette game is viewed the same way Austin peay morgan state CCSU Wagner are viewed. Cupcake home game.

If we are winning, say 7-0 or w/e so far in the season(more bandwagoners), I bet every other person couldnt consistently tell you what conference NDSU plays football in.

I recently asked 3 students to name atleast 3 players on the football team. (These are students who went to atleast 4 homegames, they replied, Dj Mcnorton, that jose kid...and uhhh i dont know anymore) And that was a concerted effort.

darell1976
March 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM
If the sioux thing isnt dropped UND can never host a playoff football game right?

Yes, that is why the state will sue the NCAA when UND goes on the sanctions list. The NCAA said the only sanctions will be no home playoff games and no wearing the Indian logo or using the nickname at road playoff games. But we will see what happens with the lawsuit. Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley was looking over the bill before it was signed by the govenor for any way to win and must have found something.

Franks Tanks
March 18th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Lafayette is coming off our worst season in almost a decade, and NDSU is coming off a very good one. We have been in the playoffs 3 times since 2004 and beat teams like Richmond and Liberty. Our conference mate Lehigh beat your conference mate Northern Iowa in the playoffs last year. If Lafayette can get back to where we were from 04-09 we can make a game of it, but if we play like we did last year NDSU will push us around.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Lafayette is coming off our worst season in almost a decade, and NDSU is coming off a very good one. We have been in the playoffs 3 times since 2004 and beat teams like Richmond and Liberty. Our conference mate Lehigh beat your conference mate Northern Iowa in the playoffs last year. If Lafayette can get back to where we were from 04-09 we can make a game of it, but if we play like we did last year NDSU will push us around.

Good analysis......cannot argue with that!

xthumbsupx

Twentysix
March 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM

Hopefully its a game, thats more entertaining, of course NDSU still needs to win it. xpeacex

bjtheflamesfan
March 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
JBB...my office...again...now...

TheValleyRaider
March 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Bringing this thread back to its original purposes...

Some unsourced news from the Colgate Voy board lists some future opponents, including

vs. New Hampshire (2013), replacing a dropped game against Maine from 2012
at Ball State (2014)

Our future schedules page lists the South Dakota game as September 8 :)

Go...gate
March 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Bringing this thread back to its original purposes...

Some unsourced news from the Colgate Voy board lists some future opponents, including

vs. New Hampshire (2013), replacing a dropped game against Maine from 2012
at Ball State (2014)

Our future schedules page lists the South Dakota game as September 8 :)

The Future FB Schedules page at the Colgate athletics website confirms these changes, as well as some home and home dates with Albany, which is a schedule addition long overdue, IMO.

TheValleyRaider
March 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Additional note on that Ball State game. While perusing some of their sites I was just reminded that our old pal Pete Lembo is their new coach

Wonder if that had something to do with this... xchinscratchx xreadx