PDA

View Full Version : Big West Football?

bringback49erfootball
March 12th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Check out this article
(http://bringback49erfootball.blogspot.com/2011/03/big-west-football.html)

GoAgs72
March 12th, 2011, 02:34 AM
As stated before, it's hard to imagine either colleges or students voting to start new football teams in California with the current state economic situation. Colleges are more interested in reducing sports than adding a high cost sport like football and students just took huge fee increases at both UC and CSU.

bringback49erfootball
March 12th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Have you reviewed the proposal Bring Back 49er Football did (http://bringback49erfootball.weebly.com/proposal.html)?
The proposal does include a $86 per semester student activity fee phased in over years with this formula Year 1 +$25 ($25), Year 2 $25+$17 ($42), Year 3 $25+$17+$25 ($67), Year 4 $25+$17+$25+$13 (80), Year 5 $25+$17+$25+ $13+$6 ($86). The incremental increase does not total more than $25 in a school year within a 5 year period.

bojeta
March 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Have you reviewed the proposal Bring Back 49er Football did (http://bringback49erfootball.weebly.com/proposal.html)?
The proposal does include a $86 per semester student activity fee phased in over years with this formula Year 1 +$25 ($25), Year 2 $25+$17 ($42), Year 3 $25+$17+$25 ($67), Year 4 $25+$17+$25+$13 (80), Year 5 $25+$17+$25+ $13+$6 ($86). The incremental increase does not total more than $25 in a school year within a 5 year period.

And if I'm not mistaken, this fee allows students, like it does at most universities, to attend games for free. Even at the high end, $86 for season tickets is DIRT CHEAP! Most students probably spend more than that weekly on beer. Just got my wife Janet Jackson concert tickets. $162 ea. for the bargain seats. This is doable!! Best of luck to all Big West schools that try this. Whatever the results, keep at it. Eventually it will happen. As I've said before, the time to start this process is NOW. Waiting for "good economic times" is like waiting for a good time to start a diet or begin an exercise routine. You'll only be further behind the curve.

Mr. C
March 12th, 2011, 03:11 PM
As someone who used to actually cover Big West Conference football (all the way back to when it was still called the Pacific Coast Athletic Association, or PCAA), I have a soft place in my heart for this league. But the article you cite is little more than conjecture. There are tons of obstacles for the league to begin sponsoring football again. It is a long shot for any of these schools to restart football, though as someone who used to watch football teams from Long Beach State, Cal State-Fullerton, UCSB and University of the Pacific, I'd love to see those schools reborn at the FCS level. Cal Poly and UC Davis have made a recent commitment to the Big Sky for football and are not likely to go to something as fledgling as the Big West would be. If any of these schools bring back football, it is likely to be as an independent, or by forming a brand new league. I don't see the Big West jumping back into that fray.

bringback49erfootball
March 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
And if I'm not mistaken, this fee allows students, like it does at most universities, to attend games for free. Even at the high end, $86 for season tickets is DIRT CHEAP! Most students probably spend more than that weekly on beer. Just got my wife Janet Jackson concert tickets. $162 ea. for the bargain seats. This is doable!! Best of luck to all Big West schools that try this. Whatever the results, keep at it. Eventually it will happen. As I've said before, the time to start this process is NOW. Waiting for "good economic times" is like waiting for a good time to start a diet or begin an exercise routine. You'll only be further behind the curve.

As a current student, many students spend a ton of money on partying. Spending such little money over 5 years is really nothing. CSUF will be playing football by 2012, Long Beach and Northridge's chances are far lower due to the on campus stadium issue, but I project CSUF playing football as early as Fall 2012.

Bring Back 49er Football
Go Beach!