PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte declines full CAA membership, wants football only, CAA refuses

T-Dog
March 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Per Brian Mull, UNCW's beat writer at the CAA Tournament

-Multiple sources confirm that Charlotte was offered full membership to the #CAA but declined, wanting to be a football-only member.

-#CAA not interested in Charlotte as a football-only member.

-The CAA makes sense for Charlotte, and would give UNCW a rival in the Carolinas. Not sure why Judy Rose thinks the A-10 is superior.

DFW HOYA
March 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM

-Multiple sources confirm that Charlotte was offered full membership to the #CAA but declined, wanting to be a football-only member.

Fordham's available... xlolx

Appfan_in_CAAland
March 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
If this is true, I think Charlotte made a mistake. Moving from the A-10 to the CAA is basically a lateral move in basketball. The A-10 hasn't worked out too well for the 49ers anyway, so why not make the change.

jmufan999
March 6th, 2011, 08:14 PM
probably not the wisest decision for Charlotte.

Rekdiver
March 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM
UNcc gettinga little big for their new football pants.

Saint3333
March 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
SoCon will likely tell them the same thing. Big South is the only other option other than Indy which could slow the progression.

If UNCC has their sights on bigger conferences like CUSA why not go to the CAA to build your football program faster? Their basketball certainly isn't getting them an invite anywhere, football rules when it comes to conferences these days.

If they do go to the Big South it will be easier to win and beat their chest about their winning percentage. OR losses to Liberty, G-Webb, etc. could hurt quite a bit.

BlackNGold
March 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
UNcc gettinga little big for their new football pants.

all you have to do is read one of their fans post to know that. xcoffeex

jmufan
March 6th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yea, they seem to have an inferiority complex. Wonder what happens when the SoCon and the Big South turn them down? And what would the Big South do if Stony Brook gets an invite from the CAA?

Redwyn
March 6th, 2011, 11:10 PM

-The CAA makes sense for Charlotte, and would give UNCW a rival in the Carolinas. Not sure why Judy Rose thinks the A-10 is superior.

Based on this - gotta think Stony Brook is on the radar of the CAA. America East is known for program defections to the CAA (Drexel, Delaware, Hofstra, Northeastern), and Stony Brook I have to believe it itching to get out of the conference.

SBU brings:
1) Top 10 Lax program
2) Top 10 women's cross country
3) Full scholly football with a solid stadium (expandable to 25K+) and brand new athletic development/weight center
4) Return of NYC media market for football
5) Logical bridge between Maine, UNH, and the rest of the CAA (assuming U Mass leaves too)
6) Extremely solid baseball program
7) Basketball team off a 09-10 NIT season and one game away from hitting the NCAA tourney
8) Logical rival for Hofstra, hopefully boosting turnout for both programs in numerous sports

jmufan
March 6th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Based on this - gotta think Stony Brook is on the radar of the CAA. America East is known for program defections to the CAA (Drexel, Delaware, Hofstra, Northeastern), and Stony Brook I have to believe it itching to get out of the conference.

SBU brings:
1) Top 10 Lax program
2) Top 10 women's cross country
3) Full scholly football with a solid stadium (expandable to 25K+) and brand new athletic development/weight center
4) Return of NYC media market for football
5) Logical bridge between Maine, UNH, and the rest of the CAA (assuming U Mass leaves too)
6) Extremely solid baseball program
7) Basketball team off a 09-10 NIT season and one game away from hitting the NCAA tourney
8) Logical rival for Hostra, hopefully boosting turnout for both programs in numerous sports

There is a rumor going around on the CAAZone on the JMU boards http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=103927&page=31 that Stony Brook will be or has been extended a full membership offer. How true this is, I have no idea. The same source said the same thing about Charlotte, so take it for what is worth. But we'll see.

Umpire
March 7th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Just a reminder to keep the Discussion clean and smack-free.

moss2k
March 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM
basketball doesn't get you an invite to a bigger conference, period. Please see Memphis. I would have had no problem with moving to the CAA. I am, I believe, in the minority of Charlotte fans on that topic. The basketball would be a step back, the A10 is historically a better bball conference and receives more at-large bids. That being said, our bball program is in the crapper (hopefully being built back up after this season) and isn't positioned to make take an at-large anyways.

CAA would be best for football and our other sports.

Saint3333
March 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
^
^
^
^

First reasonable post by a UNCC fan in months here. Thank you Moss, there is hopexnodx.

moss2k
March 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Only brightside to me about not taking CAA spot, is that they (our AD) hopes (better know) we can fast track to FBS

aceinthehole
March 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Here is why Charlotte won't leave the A-10 for the CAA - $$$$.

Currently, how many NCAA tourney revenue shares has the CAA earned compared to the A-10?

NCAA BASKETBALL FUND DISTRIBUTION 2009-10
A-10 $6.4 million
CAA $2.9 million
NEC $1.6 million
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/46f776004e0d547d9ef9fe1ad6fc8b25/2010-11+Revenue+Distribution+Plan+%28Current%29+%28Revi sions%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=46f776004e0d547d9ef9fe1ad6fc8b25

Charlotte is not going to leave that hoops money on the table, pay an exit fee, and then look at reduced revenues from the CAA.

The CAA is a damn good conference, but despite a few 2nd bids here and there the A-10 has outperformed the CAA in the NCAA tourney. The A-10 TV contract, while low by majors standards, is still much better than what the CAA gets.

This is and always will be about money and exposure. This is not about the quality of basketball teams on the court.

Think about this - the CAA earns only $1.3 million more than the NEC in NCAA basketball revenue. But the A-10 earns $3.5 million more than the CAA. The CAA is closer to the NEC than the A-10.

Sly Fox
March 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Yea, they seem to have an inferiority complex. Wonder what happens when the SoCon and the Big South turn them down? And what would the Big South do if Stony Brook gets an invite from the CAA?

Stony Brook has been helping make the Big South auto bid eligible until Presbyterian is eligible to do so.

By all indications it appears Kyle may have softened his stance on offering an affiliate membership to Charlotte. I would suspect this probably is done by this summer.

As for Stony Brook to the CAA, there seem to be a slew of rumors about what the Colonial leadership might be considering from YSU, Fordham, SBU to even looking down south. I am anxious to see what course of action they deem necessary ... if anything at all.

Redwyn
March 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
As for Stony Brook to the CAA, there seem to be a slew of rumors about what the Colonial leadership might be considering from YSU, Fordham, SBU to even looking down south. I am anxious to see what course of action they deem necessary ... if anything at all.

Will be an interesting period seeing what happens.

That being said, it would be downright idiotic for SBU not to make itself as willing and preferable an addition to the CAA as possible. The America East, while a nice conference, is not conducive to an expanding athletic program.

Dignan
March 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Here is why Charlotte won't leave the A-10 for the CAA - $$$$.

Currently, how many NCAA tourney revenue shares has the CAA earned compared to the A-10?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/46f776004e0d547d9ef9fe1ad6fc8b25/2010-11+Revenue+Distribution+Plan+%28Current%29+%28Revi sions%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=46f776004e0d547d9ef9fe1ad6fc8b25

Charlotte is not going to leave that hoops money on the table, pay an exit fee, and then look at reduced revenues from the CAA.

The CAA is a damn good conference, but despite a few 2nd bids here and there the A-10 has outperformed the CAA in the NCAA tourney. The A-10 TV contract, while low by majors standards, is still much better than what the CAA gets.

This is and always will be about money and exposure. This is not about the quality of basketball teams on the court.

Think about this - the CAA earns only $1.3 million more than the NEC in NCAA basketball revenue. But the A-10 earns $3.5 million more than the CAA. The CAA is closer to the NEC than the A-10.

I believe that this represents the total amount distributed to the conference as a whole. If we assume that the money is distributed to member schools equally we are talking about a difference of 457k to 241k, which is not nearly as striking a difference when looked at that way.

There are a lot of factors to consider here, not all of them are obvious on the surface. It's hard to quantify the overall economic effect of being in a good football conference too, as it's not all apparent in the bottom line.

WMTribe90
March 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I believe that this represents the total amount distributed to the conference as a whole. If we assume that the money is distributed to member schools equally we are talking about a difference of 457k to 241k, which is not nearly as striking a difference when looked at that way.

There are a lot of factors to consider here, not all of them are obvious on the surface. It's hard to quantify the overall economic effect of being in a good football conference too, as it's not all apparent in the bottom line.

My thoughts too. Also, the difference between the b-ball conferences was significant last year. This year, both the CAA and A-10 will have two (guaranteed) or possibly three teams (VCU and/or UR) dancing. CAA football would offer more media exposure and likely greater ticket sales too. It could also be argued the that though the CAA averages fewer NCAA at-large b-ball selections, UNCC would have a better chance of actually securing an at-large selection playing in the CAA. The CAA would also likely offer reduced travel costs for all sports. Lastly, while A-10 b-ball is slightly better now, the CAA is on the rise in b-ball and our ceiling is equal to that of the A-10.

I think UNCC made a mistake. I hope the CAA now moves to secure SBU or Fordham for full membership and thereby solidify our northern tier.

GA St. MBB Fan
March 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
What makes everyone so certain that the CAA wants to expand?

If UMass leaves, 'Nova leaves, and after URI leaves in 2013, the CAA will be at 9 football members. Then the CAA could schedule just like the SoCon does.

How do we know that the CAA didn't just offer Charlotte full membership, knowing they'll refuse it, just so they could get Charlotte out of the CAA's hair?

Personally, I wouldn't mind Charlotte in the CAA. It would be a true road trip for GA State and our fans. But I'm just thinking that the CAA's offer to Charlotte was calculated to simply let Charlotte formally know where the CAA stands, and allow the CAA get past the "Charlotte question."

Also to add...with 9 FB members...it leaves the door open for GMU/VCU/UNCW to join CAA FB in the future. Whereas adding another member...then GMU/VCU/UNCW joining...could cause quite a clog.

Redwyn
March 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM

If UMass leaves, 'Nova leaves, and after URI leaves in 2013, the CAA will be at 9 football members. Then the CAA could schedule just like the SoCon does.

How do we know that the CAA didn't just offer Charlotte full membership, knowing they'll refuse it, just so they could get Charlotte out of the CAA's hair?

Personally, I wouldn't mind Charlotte in the CAA. It would be a true road trip for GA State and our fans. But I'm just thinking that the CAA's offer to Charlotte was calculated to simply let Charlotte formally know where the CAA stands, and allow the CAA get past the "Charlotte question."

The simple answer is that I doubt several of the remaining 9 CAA members have as much intention of staying as UMass.

JMU, Ga. St., and ODU have all vocally stated their intention to move when the time suits. Also, we've seen that bigger conferences in all-sports are the trend, a trend that's not likely to change. It would be stupid for the CAA to hinge its bets on 9 to stay, and likely reflect negatively on its trajectory as a conference to refrain from the expansion trend.

Taking on an athletic program like SBU adds yet another member with the money and intent to succeed athletically, as well as simultaneously improving the academic reputation of the conference. SBU's athletic budget is 20+ million, and comparable with FBS members. The program itself is improving rapidly, and wouldn't be a Towson/URI-like doormat in the conference in football. Basketball should be able to hold its own too, and provide another hold in the Northeast for Northeastern and Hofstra. In lacrosse, adding SBU would give the CAA a virtual monopoly of the LI lacrosse market, and increase turnout and revenue at rivalry games (especially given both's standing in the top 10). Only good could come of this.

Dignan
March 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM
The simple answer is that I doubt several of the remaining 9 CAA members have as much intention of staying as UMass.

JMU, Ga. St., and ODU have all vocally stated their intention to move when the time suits. Also, we've seen that bigger conferences in all-sports are the trend, a trend that's not likely to change. It would be stupid for the CAA to hinge its bets on 9 to stay, and likely reflect negatively on its trajectory as a conference to refrain from the expansion trend.

Taking on an athletic program like SBU adds yet another member with the money and intent to succeed athletically, as well as simultaneously improving the academic reputation of the conference. SBU's athletic budget is 20+ million, and comparable with FBS members. The program itself is improving rapidly, and wouldn't be a Towson/URI-like doormat in the conference in football. Basketball should be able to hold its own too, and provide another hold in the Northeast for Northeastern and Hofstra. In lacrosse, adding SBU would give the CAA a virtual monopoly of the LI lacrosse market, and increase turnout and revenue at rivalry games (especially given both's standing in the top 10). Only good could come of this.

I agree with your general point about 9 being a tenuous number for the football conference as it currently stands, although I don't think that JMU has really been very vocal about desires to move to FBS. The fans, yes, but the administration has been very guarded about the topic.

49RFootballNow
March 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Nothing more than opening volleys in a negotiation. Both sides brought their ideal proposal to the table and both sides rejected the other. Now they'll go back to their respective sides and see what they'd be willing to give up in order to reach a compromise. The CAA is in flux and there is no telling what it will look like by July 1st 2014, which would probably be the last moment Charlotte can wait to to make a conference choice. We're in no real hurry and neither is the CAA.

Saint3333
March 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure where you can meet in the middle. UNCC goes to the CAA for all sports except basketball, not likely.

WMTribe90
March 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Nothing more than opening volleys in a negotiation. Both sides brought their ideal proposal to the table and both sides rejected the other. Now they'll go back to their respective sides and see what they'd be willing to give up in order to reach a compromise. The CAA is in flux and there is no telling what it will look like by July 1st 2014, which would probably be the last moment Charlotte can wait to to make a conference choice. We're in no real hurry and neither is the CAA.

Agree with Saint, I don't see where the compromise position is in this situation. What did you have in mind?

And, while neither side has a sense or urgency, UNCC does risk being passed up as first choice by any other number of programs, including Fordham, Stony Brook or Albany. I'd argue that SBU is a stronger alternative for the CAA than the Big South is for Charlotte. If Charlotte is playing a game of chicken, I think they our over-estimating their hand (sorry for the mixed metaphor).

They also risk losing out if VU and/or UMass end up staying in the CAA, thus reducing pressure to add new members.

CAA brass and majority of fans seem resolute, full membership or nothing.

jmufan
March 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Devils advocate here...what would happen if SBU came in as a football only member, but yet, refused Charlotte that same type of membership?

Redwyn
March 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Devils advocate here...what would happen if SBU came in as a football only member, but yet, refused Charlotte that same type of membership?

I give you my word - you offer SBU all sports.....we take it faster than a blink of the eye. Personally I see no situation in which SBU enters the CAA without entering it in all sports.

jmufan
March 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I give you my word - you offer SBU all sports.....we take it faster than a blink of the eye. Personally I see no situation in which SBU enters the CAA without entering it in all sports.

Have you heard anything about an invitation being offered as someone on the JMU board stated? It's just interesting...especially when everything is hush, hush. Even the "supposed" invite to Charlotte is a bit hush, hush.

Redwyn
March 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Have you heard anything about an invitation being offered as someone on the JMU board stated? It's just interesting...especially when everything is hush, hush. Even the "supposed" invite to Charlotte is a bit hush, hush.

Nothing. I'm just an alumni, long removed from any committee who would know anything.

My guess is we won't hear anything until the day UMass/VU announce. Then in short time other responses will occur.

NHwildEcat
March 8th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Also to add...with 9 FB members...it leaves the door open for GMU/VCU/UNCW to join CAA FB in the future. Whereas adding another member...then GMU/VCU/UNCW joining...could cause quite a clog.

I think the CAA isn't necessarily looking to expand so much as keep an equal number of members in the conference. Seem that every year we hear about nearly half the member possibly moving up and on to FBS. So I think the conference is just trying to figure out how they can keep everyone around.

Also, SBU would be a great addition in regards to Maine & UNH. The league needs more northern schools if they want to keep their farthest north campuses in play. Although I am not too sure how much they actually care, as a fan of UNH I would love to continue to play in this league and would only hope costs can be contained to some degree.

LeadBolt
March 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Would adding Stony Brook be a positive for retaining URI, UMass, or Villanova?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
This is going to sound crazy, but I think the men's NCAA tournament this year may have quite a bit to do with this discussion for the short and long term.

Put it this way: What if ODU and George Mason (assuming both are selected) crash and burn in the first round? And what if Xavier makes the Sweet 16, and Temple makes a run at the Final Four? If that happens, it would be awfully hard to make the argument that the A-10 to the CAA is a lateral move in basketball.

Conversely, an ODU or Mason Elite Eight or Final Four run says: The CAA is every bit an elite hoops conference as the A-10. We've had more Final Four appearances in the last five years than the A-10 - we're actually better than the A-10.

The A-10 and the CAA are in a battle royale for the title of king of the mid-majors (along with the Missouri Valley, of course). This dynamic I think will play very, very large in these types of declarations and team-poaching.

aceinthehole
March 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
This is going to sound crazy, but I think the men's NCAA tournament this year may have quite a bit to do with this discussion for the short and long term.

Put it this way: What if ODU and George Mason (assuming both are selected) crash and burn in the first round? And what if Xavier makes the Sweet 16, and Temple makes a run at the Final Four? If that happens, it would be awfully hard to make the argument that the A-10 to the CAA is a lateral move in basketball.

Conversely, an ODU or Mason Elite Eight or Final Four run says: The CAA is every bit an elite hoops conference as the A-10. We've had more Final Four appearances in the last five years than the A-10 - we're actually better than the A-10.

The A-10 and the CAA are in a battle royale for the title of king of the mid-majors (along with the Missouri Valley, of course). This dynamic I think will play very, very large in these types of declarations and team-poaching.

This is what I was saying. The CAA hasn't yet proved its better than the A-10 in terms of revenue generation and national exposure. Every win in the NCAA tourney earns the conference a "share" of the basketball fund. Advancing multiple teams is much more important than just getting a 2nd bid. We'll see how well they fair this year.

IMO - the CAA is in a very good position for now. Of course you ask Charlotte for full membership only - and Charlotte has every reason to evaluate the offer and decline. Why should they provide a football home for a team leveraging for FBS? Charlotte will be fine in the Big South with Liberty and Stony Brook.

Now Stony Brook fans and admins may want to join the CAA, but I'm not sure it makes sense yet for the CAA to make that offer. The Brook aint going anywhere and will be around, if/when to replace CAA teams that leave for FBS. The CAA will get its choice of teams when the time comes.

Jackman
March 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Would adding Stony Brook be a positive for retaining URI, UMass, or Villanova?

A 5-digit reduction in travel costs once every 2 years isn't going to change the mind of a program looking at FBS.

Rhode Island would care -- they call the game to a halt if anyone spots a penny on the field -- but it's probably too late to reverse their commitment to the NEC. And if UMass leaves, adding SBU doesn't result in a net gain for them.

moss2k
March 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Our beat writter, David Scott is reporting that no invite has been issued to Charlotte at this time from the CAA.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/03/49ers-shut-out-of-postseason-honors.html

I'm told there's nothing to the idea that Charlotte has turned down an offer to join the Colonial Athletic Association as a full member. That doesn't mean there haven't been discussions (there have) or that such an offer might not be forthcoming (it could). But Charlotte is only interested in finding a temporary spot for its football program and wants to keep the rest of its sports in the Atlantic 10. Of the three leagues Charlotte has been talking to, it doesn't appear the CAA or the Southern Conference would be interested in such an arrangement. The Big South might be, however (Stony Brook is a football-only, temporary member now).
But things are in flux in the CAA, with UMass and Rhode Island (football-only members) leaving and Villanova (another football-only school) considering a move to the Big East. When the dust settles, maybe the CAA would consider Charlotte as a football-only member.

jmufan
March 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Interesting...nothing surprises me in the Charlotte/CAA situation. On one end, you have a reporter saying it has been offered and was rejected, then a Charlotte writer says that there were no offers given.

Really do not know who to believe. To read between the lines, an offer was given and it is currently being studied or an offer is about to be issued and the writer for UNCW misunderstood the situation. Or UNCC is trying to cover their tracks by stating there were no offers given in order to try and buy time. Which one is it?

Saint3333
March 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
A UNCC beat writer covering their tracks, couldn't be. How does UNCC as a football only member add to the CAA? During a negoiation both parties typically bring something to the table.

Waco Kid
March 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
A UNCC beat writer covering their tracks, couldn't be. How does UNCC as a football only member add to the CAA? During a negoiation both parties typically bring something to the table.

An offer may or may not have been given by the CAA, but UNCC has gone on record in the past saying it wants to join a conference as a football only member. That means the SoCon is out because they have made it clear no football only schools will be added, and the CAA is most likely going to take the same approach. Unless Nova, UMASS, UNH, and Maine all leave the CAA has no reason to offer UNCC a football only invite. I doubt SoCon schools would vote to add another conference game to their schedules, and if we (App) leaves they will want to add a full member to keep BB at 12.

UNCC has made it clear they want to be FBS in a few years which means only the most desperate conferences (i.e. Big South) will take them. It would do the CAA and SoCon no good to add a team knowing they'll have to do it again in 5 years.

ThompsonThe
March 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Our beat writter, David Scott is reporting that no invite has been issued to Charlotte at this time from the CAA.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/03/49ers-shut-out-of-postseason-honors.html

Probably nothing FORMAL. That way there is plausible deniability.

Have heard that they have been talking to them for a long time.

Appfan_in_CAAland
March 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
This is what I was saying. The CAA hasn't yet proved its better than Xavier in terms of revenue generation and national exposure.

Fixed it for you. Take Xavier out of the equation, and the CAA is a much better conference of the last few years than the A-10.

49RFootballNow
March 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fixed it for you. Take Xavier out of the equation, and the CAA is a much better conference of the last few years than the A-10.

Selling Temple and Dayton a bit short aren't you?xnodx

UR Spider
March 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I can't believe I'm the first Spider to weigh in on this thread. We left the CAA for the A10 close to 10 years ago now. We were upfront about why we left and that was due to the perceived increase in the ability to get an at large bid. Looking back on it I think we made the right choice.

If you look at it historically I think the A10 rates out better than the CAA. Sure the CAA had the George Mason run and for the past few years has been receiving at large bids but that seems to be a new development. I'm probably wrong about this but i think george Mason's at large bid in 2006 was the first at large bid the league had received since 1986.

I love CAA football but I don't think anyone can objectively say that the CAA and A10 are equal basketball leagues. They're close, I grant you that, but the average A10 team would be the average CAA team 6/7 times out of ten.

At the end of the day it is interesting that UR is a football only member, but I suppose we're slightly different in that we have no desire to move up and use the CAA as only a stepping stone.

GannonFan
March 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I agree here - no one can objectively say that the CAA is as good as the A10 is in men's basketball. It's gotten a bit closer over the years, and certainly Mason's Final Four run was great, but the A10 routinely gets more teams into the tournament, they get better seeds, and they generally go further once in the tournament. I'd rather be in the CAA for everything else, but there's no denying the A10 is the better men's basketball conference right now, and for the past decade.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I agree here - no one can objectively say that the CAA is as good as the A10 is in men's basketball. It's gotten a bit closer over the years, and certainly Mason's Final Four run was great, but the A10 routinely gets more teams into the tournament, they get better seeds, and they generally go further once in the tournament. I'd rather be in the CAA for everything else, but there's no denying the A10 is the better men's basketball conference right now, and for the past decade.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-ncaa-tournament-might-affect-caa.html

I weighed in on this earlier in the week. Basically, though, I think the vision of the CAA is in a position to change vis-a-vis the A-10 based on this year's tourney, based on the near-certain inclusion of ODU as autobid, George Mason in the field and the possible inclusion of VCU.

The "old rules" were that the A-10 was better than the CAA in basketball - they had Final Four teams, No. 1 seeds (not all that long ago, too), while the CAA had nothing. Now, we're in a position where the CAA will have one more Final Four team in the last five years than the A-10. But are the "old rules" still in play? Especially if Temple pulls another one-and-done like they did last year and ODU and/or George Mason do well?

JMUDuke2002
March 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I can't believe I'm the first Spider to weigh in on this thread. We left the CAA for the A10 close to 10 years ago now. We were upfront about why we left and that was due to the perceived increase in the ability to get an at large bid. Looking back on it I think we made the right choice.

If you look at it historically I think the A10 rates out better than the CAA. Sure the CAA had the George Mason run and for the past few years has been receiving at large bids but that seems to be a new development. I'm probably wrong about this but i think george Mason's at large bid in 2006 was the first at large bid the league had received since 1986.

I love CAA football but I don't think anyone can objectively say that the CAA and A10 are equal basketball leagues. They're close, I grant you that, but the average A10 team would be the average CAA team 6/7 times out of ten.

At the end of the day it is interesting that UR is a football only member, but I suppose we're slightly different in that we have no desire to move up and use the CAA as only a stepping stone.

Really? Two tournament appearances since joining. Before you joined the A-10, you averaged a tournament appearance every three years, give or take. Now, its every 5. Really not a resounding success.

But, only a delusional CAA fan would think that the CAA is better than the A10 right now in MBB. In 10 years, maybe. But, now. Nope.

jmufan
March 10th, 2011, 06:14 PM
The A-10 is dying and personally, I do think the CAA will be a better basketball conference in the next 5 or so years. Granted that the CAA doesn't get raided in the meantime.

CAA football has really legitimized the conference and with its past successes over FBS schools, championships, and basketball successes, you would be hard pressed to say that this isn't a league destined for great things.

UR Spider
March 11th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Really? Two tournament appearances since joining. Before you joined the A-10, you averaged a tournament appearance every three years, give or take. Now, its every 5. Really not a resounding success.

But, only a delusional CAA fan would think that the CAA is better than the A10 right now in MBB. In 10 years, maybe. But, now. Nope.

Just for the record - as a member of the CAA we got in in the following years - 84, 86, 88, 90, 91, 98. Only one of those years (86) did we receive an at large. Over 17 years (84 - 01) that averages to 3.

As a member of the A10 we got in 04 & 10. Both of those were at larges. Which I think is the point. The thought process was to join a league where we didn't have to win the conference tournament. Assuming we get in this year, that's 3 bids in 10 seasons, so its pretty much a wash.

Believe me, I'd much rather be under consideration for an at large then have to face winning a conference tourney or else. When we were in the CAA, that was the case. It clearly isn't anymore, with the CAA rountinely getting a second bid these days, but again I think we made the right choice.

Anyway, back to the football portion of this thread...