PDA

View Full Version : App State's new turf design

AtlantaMountaineer
March 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
New turf design without soccer lines and Block A at Mid Field.

http://www.goasu.com/pics32/0/QS/QSPCQCTPAGTDTFK.20110302014507.jpg

Blueandwhitefightfight
March 2nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
You guys are losing the black endzones?!?!?!?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........

Those looked so awesome. The new ones look so academic and lame compared to the old ones. But I do like the big block A at midfield and ditching all those other non-football lines.

The endzones though....

Smitty
March 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
Did a 3rd grader write the "Mountaineers" on the sideline for you guys?

The Eagle's Cliff
March 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Why not grass? Is it just hard to grow?

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
No soccer lines? I feel like I won't be watching a game at KBS anymore.

Saint3333
March 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM
I agree about the black endzones, I loved those.

I will trade it for the big A in the middle and no soccer lines. I also like the alternating light green dark green turf every five yards.

For those that hated the crown on the field that will be gone as well, although I think that gave us an advantage especially against passing teams.

moss2k
March 2nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
The "Mountaineers" script on the sideline looks like you had a elementary school contest for the design.

Should have kept the black endzones.

T-Dog
March 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm so mad about losing the black endzones that I'm organizing alumni/boosters to oppose this. xbandwagonx

And the sidelines don't look all that great either.

There were some designs from people that were really good IMO. Some of you post those!

asucrutch23
March 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I'm so mad about losing the black endzones that I'm organizing alumni/boosters to oppose this. xbandwagonx

And the sidelines don't look all that great either.

There were some designs from people that were really good IMO. Some of you post those!

Where do I sign? The Block A was not worth losing the endzone design IMO, and those sidelines look awful.

So this is actually the design they're going with? Is it a sure thing?

T-Dog
March 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
God I hope this isn't the 100% final. The process starts Thursday with the removal of the old turf. After that, the crown will be removed and the track repaved (the steeplechase and high jump endzones will switch). The new turf will be put down sometime in June/July.

This appears to be an MSPaint job by some random staffer. I make better stuff than that.

sikolec
March 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Block A in the middle looks great. Endzones and sidelines...not so much...

App-a-latch-un
March 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
I HATE THE ENDZONES. Block A in the middle is great, I like the black sidelines, not a fan on the Mountaineer script but can live with it. The endzones are pretty horrid, anybody good at starting petitions?

Saint3333
March 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM

How about this?

T-Dog
March 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
My go at it (linked due to size)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/field.png

And my protest picture.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/ctd.jpg

MISTER COBB....TEAR DOWN THIS FIELD.

asucrutch23
March 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hey, I guess its better than plain purple endzones!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/3767438.jpeg

The Eagle's Cliff
March 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hey, I guess its better than plain purple endzones!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/3767438.jpeg

No Doubt! The Cats' Turf reflects light and looks like what Granny had on her porch. Their old turf was better.

Smitty
March 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah it wasn't suppose to be just plain...

They had Catamounts in both endzones but unfortunately it looked almost as bad as your mountaineer script on the sidelines and they left it out. I think they are going to start planning to do stuff to the endzones this year.

As for reflecting the light I am hoping it is just because it is new...

DJKyR0
March 2nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
So you guys aren't going with black turf? Weaksauce!

jmufan999
March 3rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
My go at it (linked due to size)

And my protest picture.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/ctd.jpg

MISTER COBB....TEAR DOWN THIS FIELD.

i like this one the best. it's nice that you guys are getting rid of the soccer lines, but the black endzones are definitely the way to go. especially if you wear all black at home, which i think you frequently do (if memory serves me).

edit: i mean the picture you created, not the protest one (obviously).

ok, one more thing.... i know it's being nit-picky, but i'd prefer to have just the A in the middle of the field, not the word "mountaineers" written over it. seems more iconic that way.

Apphole
March 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
The best part of course is that there isn't a SoCon logo.

Smitty
March 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Which doesn't mean much to be honest...

They just paint it on the field.

BEAR
March 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
:0

appstate38
March 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
For what its worth the "Mountaineers" script has been around for awhile... Like when Coach Moore first got there because we used that design on our practice sweats... No big deal to me but you may have to take up your complaint with the Head Coach on this one.

P.S. will miss the black endzones as well.

Appfan_in_CAAland
March 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
The best part of course is that there isn't a SoCon logo.

It will look better with "C-USA" on the field.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with the green endzones. If memory serves, we had green endzones when I arrived on campus in the early 90s. I like the alternating light and dark green.

AppMan
March 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
As an admitted traditionalist I don't have a problem with green endzones, but the design leaves a lot to be desired. Yea, I know it is what we use on the jerseys and it is on almost every wall in the new athletics center, but black and gold does not work on a background of green. Use white letters outlined in gold or outline the gold letters in white. There is no pop to the design. The script Mountaineers on the sidelines is pretty lame and I agree it looks like it was written by a 3rd grader. Let's hope they clean it up a bit. It is a shame to put so much money into a field and wind up with something that looks like it belongs at a middle school.

Black endzones first showed up in 1992.

appstate38
March 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Black endzones first showed up in 1992.

Not to pick a fight but the endzones were still green with Gold lettering in 1992...

whoanellie
March 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
looks like a typical mucked up Government Project... Ah being a State run school I can see the delima. M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E!!!!!!! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmi leyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmile yclapxxsmileyclapx

Horseshoe App
March 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
looks like a typical mucked up Government Project... Ah being a State run school I can see the delima. M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E!!!!!!! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmi leyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmile yclapxxsmileyclapx

Wasn't your school's new field house the one that shakes when they lift weights. Maybe sometimes the private schools screw up projects as much as the statexnodx

Waco Kid
March 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Mickey Mouse is putting out conference championship banners on your website before the game is played, or having a stadium that seats 8k.

Having said that the new field leaves a lot to be desired.

Mikeyosef
March 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Love the Block A and clean football ONLY lines. Don't care for the script on the sidelines or the green endzones. The black endzone with gold lettering looks better to me. I'd still say it's a huge improvement over the old field....if for no other reason than we're rid of the soccer or field hockey or whatever other lines were there. Now, if there were some way to remove the trackxnodx

EdubAlum
March 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I think it'd look better in all red:)

Redhawk2010
March 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I think it'd look better in all red:)

Anything would look better in all red ;) SEMO is getting new turf this summer and I'll be interested to see if they do consider getting the red.

With App State's field, having that black perimeter looks stupid with everything else being green. Make the endzones black and it would look much better! And find a way to get rid of the track..

Rekdiver
March 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I think it was nice that no one took the UNCC bait.
The bad "Mountaineers" crap on the sideline will be covered up with players during the game. Block A solid and the enzones are fine.

GlassOnion
March 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I personally dont think the endzones are that bad, clear and simple are classic and timeless, the script on the sidelines however, I could do without. They look like an afterthought, and clutter up the whole.

StorminASU
March 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
No one every complains about the "Mountaineers" script inside the Block A so I have a feeling this is simply a poor rendition and the actual finished sideline "Mountaineers" will actually be pretty cool and awesomely retro. Wouldn't it be nice if they also surprised everyone with old school Yosefs at the 25s?

No Limit Mountaineers
March 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The black end zones are a must! I like the block A at mid field and the font for mountaineer will be covered by the players during the game.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nwc9R_SBjsQVOtE9c8MZ5LVpiNGL1oNdcEqNRQk8VHA?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_lTspLO511bTBeNo51PvRrVpiNGL1oNdcEqNRQk8VHA?feat=d irectlink

AppMan
March 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Not to pick a fight but the endzones were still green with Gold lettering in 1992...

I've got a 83 media guide with photos showing black endzones.

PhoenixSupreme
March 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
As long as the field isn't all gold, I'm fine with it. :p

appstate38
March 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I've got a 83 media guide with photos showing black endzones.

I wasn't there in 83, but when I was there in 92 we had the this...1572815729

The first pic is the endzone in the background and the second is the 50 yard line with the old helmet logo.

P.S for those of you who don't like the "Mountaineers script on the sidelines, you do realize it is the same font as what has been on the helmets since Coach Moore got there...

StorminASU
March 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
P.S for those of you who don't like the "Mountaineers script on the sidelines, you do realize it is the same font as what has been on the helmets since Coach Moore got there...

That's what I was wondering too...That script is literally on almost every piece of App merchandise out there in the block A. I like it.

ncguitarplyr
March 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
The black end zones are a must! I like the block A at mid field and the font for mountaineer will be covered by the players during the game.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nwc9R_SBjsQVOtE9c8MZ5LVpiNGL1oNdcEqNRQk8VHA?feat=d irectlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_lTspLO511bTBeNo51PvRrVpiNGL1oNdcEqNRQk8VHA?feat=d irectlink

cool photoshop, but no UNC/ECU type logos please! lol

T-Dog
March 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Taken this morning.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1509.jpg

T-Dog
June 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
The field's here.

http://www1.appstate.edu/~seiftsze/stadium/

pike51
June 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I can see why everyone likes the black endzones.. but for somereason, I kinda like the green. I would prefer black letters with a gold outline though. Overall, it's very nice. I'm sure the sideline script will look much better on the real thing than the picture shows.

Sheesh, did I just say something nice about the goat lovers? WTF is my problem?

walliver
June 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I wish they would play on grass, but as long as the field is green, I'm OK with it.

49RFootballNow
June 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I wish they would play on grass, but as long as the field is green, I'm OK with it.

Hard to get grass to grow on granite.

NuJerzBullDog
June 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
no only is it hard to grow on granite its easier to maintain, and easier to plow the snow off of it, thats the same reason the baseball field is turf up there as well i remember the equipment manager tellin us that

Skjellyfetti
June 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
no only is it hard to grow on granite its easier to maintain, and easier to plow the snow off of it, thats the same reason the baseball field is turf up there as well i remember the equipment manager tellin us that

This is correct.

If our field was grass... it would have been completely torn up after the Western Illinois game last year... and would have an absolutely horrible playing surface to play a game the next week.

HighCountry
June 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Watched them roll out a few 'strips' of turf today, can't wait to see the final product.

App-a-latch-un
June 8th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I can't imagine trying to maintain natural grass up here. A natural field would be frozen solid as early as October some years and a mess come playoffs.

AppMan
June 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Before turf the field was a quagmire. Natural spings run under the playing surface and after a hard rain it was pure mud. First artificial surface put down in 1970 (first one in Eastern USA). It was like the old putt putt "grass" and man it was hard. Black top base with a few inches of hard rubber as a "cushion." A lot of good football careers ended on that field.

Hammerhead
June 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Even though the Willamette valley is considered the grass seed capital of the world, PSU, Oregon, and Oregon State all play on artificial surfaces. My back yard turns into a mud pit once the winter rains start in November.

Why not grass? Is it just hard to grow?

Mountaineer
June 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Black top base with a few inches of hard rubber as a "cushion."

It was crazy watching the turf cam and seeing all that stuff buried under the old turf. Looked like an old highway was under there with the amount I saw them scraping away.

The new turf is looking good though. Love the alternating shades of green.

Smitty
June 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah the alternating green is cool but the endzones just seem plain...

Waco Kid
June 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah the alternating green is cool but the endzones just seem plain...

Kinda like solid purple endzones with no writing or logos in them???

whoanellie
June 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
played on that piece of crap as Elon played App on that "Tartan" turf... lost 3 QB's and the game 41 years ago...
Before turf the field was a quagmire. Natural spings run under the playing surface and after a hard rain it was pure mud. First artificial surface put down in 1970 (first one in Eastern USA). It was like the old putt putt "grass" and man it was hard. Black top base with a few inches of hard rubber as a "cushion." A lot of good football careers ended on that field.

Smitty
June 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Kinda like solid purple endzones with no writing or logos in them???

Yeah they messed up on the original design and couldn't add the catamounts in the endzones. AD said they will have logos/etc this year.

The Moody1
June 9th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah they messed up on the original design and couldn't add the catamounts in the endzones. AD said they will have logos/etc this year.

Catamounts missing in the end zone? Say it aint so. xthumbsupx

AppMan
June 10th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Talk about leading with your chin....

Smitty, the endzones aren't quite finished yet. I'm just happy all those blasted soccer and field hockey lines will be gone.

Smitty
June 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Haha I have a piece of the goal line and end zone from the old turf as a floor mat. I can now officially say I have crossed the goal line more than WCU has...

AppMan
June 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Just checked out the web cam. Looks like someone didn't get the memo that the goal lines and sideline area where the script Mountaineers will be are supposed to be the same color. Nothing like a nice shade of pale yellow. UGH!

StorminASU
June 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Just checked out the web cam. Looks like someone didn't get the memo that the goal lines and sideline area where the script Mountaineers will be are supposed to be the same color. Nothing like a nice shade of pale yellow. UGH!

Yeah I can only hope that will get better somehow. The color is definitely the same on the drawn plans, so I hope this is getting fixed somehow.

GlassOnion
June 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM

That sideline area is like trying to look past the sun, Im gonna have to wear my shades!

appsfan
June 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Just wait until we can see the finished product... then feel free to complain...I'm thinking it will look good.

AppMan
June 11th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Just wait until we can see the finished product... then feel free to complain...I'm thinking it will look good.

No way it can look good with two different shades of gold. Some ASU fans will accept anything the Mother Ship dishes out to them.

Skjellyfetti
June 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Well, it's definitely not the same color it was yesterday.

Yesterday it was highlighter yellow. Today it is some orangish-yellow color.

So, it's definitely changing colors... might as well wait to see what it looks like finished.

The Cats
June 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
...I'm thinking it will look good.

If you like yellar !!!

AtlantaMountaineer
June 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Nothing could be worse than that glittery purple I saw in Cullowhee last year.

Skjellyfetti
June 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM
If you like yellar !!!

looks like yellar in the helmet in your avatar...

AppMan
June 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Well, it's definitely not the same color it was yesterday.

Yesterday it was highlighter yellow. Today it is some orangish-yellow color.

So, it's definitely changing colors... might as well wait to see what it looks like finished.

Having been in the coatings industry for over 30 years I can tell you bright colors react to light much differently than muted ones, especially yellows and "athletic" gold. Because of the types of pigments used they will be a multitude of shades depending on the brightness and angle of the light it is exposed to.

Smitty
June 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I can't wait to see what the reactions are when the rubber is put into the field... Pretty sure the black pellets will make it look even worse.

The Moody1
June 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I can't wait to see what the reactions are when the rubber is put into the field... Pretty sure the black pellets will make it look even worse.

The reaction won't be as bad as when your team is put into the field. Thank goodness some of us only have to sweat the little things. xnodx

The Cats
June 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
This is for ASU fans....

Gold
http://www.stringlax.com/uploads/4/6/1/4/4614143/3610752.jpg

Yellow
http://www.stringlax.com/uploads/4/6/1/4/4614143/59420.jpg

I guess ASU fans don't know there is a difference, since their colors are black and "gold" or was it changed to black and yellar?

asumike83
June 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
This is for ASU fans....

Gold

Yellow

I guess ASU fans don't know there is a difference, since their colors are black and "gold" or was it changed to black and yellar?

You do realize that the yellow matches the color on the helmet in your avatar perfectly, right? Silly kitty.

Although, I suppose if my team were 2-24 against our primary 'rival' since 1985, I would probably be splitting hairs about shades of color too. We will be happy to welcome you to our new field this year, no matter what color it is. Maybe we can hang 79 on you again like in '07!

HighCountry
June 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
This is for ASU fans....

Gold

Yellow

No wonder you go to Western if that is the best gold you could find.

The Cats
June 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
You do realize that the yellow matches the color on the helmet in your avatar perfectly, right? Silly kitty.

...and you do realize that is a 1970's Catamount helmet? Silly hillbilly.

in case you forgot.... this is the 2011 version of the "gold" (not yellow) Catamount helmet. Apparently, somewhere along the years.....WCU figured out it's pretty crazy to use yellow as your school color and then call that color "gold".

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wcar/graphics/wcar-200-helmet.gif

asumike83
June 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
...and you do realize that is a 1970's Catamount helmet? Silly hillbilly.

Forgive me, but I forgot WCU has played any football since the 1970's. Glad to see WCU still has some fans alive from back then! On the long bus ride back to Cullowhee after a severe beating at KBS, your players can take solace in the fact that your helmets truly are gold.

StorminASU
June 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
My wife and I went by there yesterday and the sidelines are the exact same color as the golden endzone line. Must be the sun+webcam like everyone said. Crisis averted.

Smitty
June 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM
It is still a lot of yellow for just the sideline...

T-Dog
June 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Good thing hundreds of people will be standing on it on gamedays, huh?

StorminASU
June 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM

That will really help WCU when they come to town this year; it'll blend in with all the piss running down legs over there so we can only guess how scared they are

asumike83
June 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM

That is true, but I'm still not a huge fan of it. To match the black border around the field, it would have looked GREAT if it was black with 'Mountaineers' written in gold instead of the other way around. In the grand scheme of things, a pretty small complaint but that would have looked sharp.

Smitty
June 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM

I agree but when you have uniforms like this...

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics31/640/FR/FRHQZBCTFNKJAKR.20100728195035.jpg

The problem is still around...

That will really help WCU when they come to town this year; it'll blend in with all the piss running down legs over there so we can only guess how scared they are

So basically your colors are black and piss yellow?

That is true, but I'm still not a huge fan of it. To match the black border around the field, it would have looked GREAT if it was black with 'Mountaineers' written in gold instead of the other way around. In the grand scheme of things, a pretty small complaint but that would have looked sharp.

See now that would have looked pretty cool.

chattownmocs
June 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Hhahahahahahahahahaha

Smitty
June 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM

So we don't have to go back to page 5 now...

StorminASU
June 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Hhahahahahahahahahaha

What's so funny here?

Waco Kid
June 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM

So we don't have to go back to page 5 now...

We're gonna have to play night games all year to keep from blinding the fans. Might be a tad chilly come November...

StorminASU
June 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
We're gonna have to play night games all year to keep from blinding the fans. Might be a tad chilly come November...

It's really not bright in person. It looks great.

chattownmocs
June 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah, thats not bad. I meant to copy the original. But thats not bad. I think the cursive writing looks bad personally. But other than that it looks pretty good. I would just get rid of the cursive mountaineers in the A.

StorminASU
June 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, thats not bad. I meant to copy the original. But thats not bad. I think the cursive writing looks bad personally. But other than that it looks pretty good. I would just get rid of the cursive mountaineers in the A.

That's part of the "Block A" logo, always has been. I think the drawing of the Mountaineers script looks terrible, but the actual Mountaineers script in our logo looks very nice. I'm guessing the representation on the drawing is just poorly done and will look much better once completed.

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Mandate to Mr. Cobb: No more moonshine at field turf planning meetings. Or else, even more moonshine.

Also, no cops. (couldn't resist)

AppMan
June 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
It's really not bright in person. It looks great.

Not that bright in person? You must have had your shades on because the stuff about blinded me when I walked into KBS yesterday around noon. I'm still upset chancellor John Thomas allowed fellow Texan Jim Garner to change it from Old or Vegas Gold to Yeller back in 1983. Old Gold is classy, the Bright Yeller is cheesy.

StorminASU
June 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Not that bright in person? You must have had your shades on because the stuff about blinded me when I walked into KBS yesterday around noon. I'm still upset chancellor John Thomas allowed fellow Texan Jim Garner to change it from Old or Vegas Gold to Yeller back in 1983. Old Gold is classy, the Bright Yeller is cheesy.

I went around 6-7 so that might have had something to do with it. Maybe they'll tone it down somehow???

Smitty
June 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I went around 6-7 so that might have had something to do with it. Maybe they'll tone it down somehow???

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/6a/b25/56ab25b6-0a0e-11e0-adb0-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d0bb0a9375c9.image.jpg

Notice the black streaks? It will be the same with yellow so that may tone it down...

StorminASU
June 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM
What is that? The rubber pieces (or whatever they are) they add for softness?

Smitty
June 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah the black pellets. Usually it is 200 lbs of pellets per square yard

T-Dog
June 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah they got several massive bags of pellets in the parking lot.

Took some pics around high noon.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Nothing could be finah than different shades of yella all over the stadium. xthumbsdownx

What a cluster..

T-Dog
June 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's not as bad as the webcam makes it look. However it does need to be darkened up which I hope the pellets and script will do.

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It's pretty bad from the pictures as well. Lots of mismatched color around the stadium.

GlassOnion
June 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
What the heck are all of these dots and dashes around the field? Is this a football field or a runway/ taxi way?

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
What the heck are all of these dots and dashes around the field? Is this a football field or a runway/ taxi way?

The longer "dash" lines are restraining lines which indicate how close non football players can get to the field.

49RFootballNow
June 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
What's the brand of turf being put down? Sorry if it was already asked before this page.

T-Dog
June 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.fieldturf.com/media/fieldturf-revolution-video/

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
FieldTurf (http://www.fieldturf.com/). Specifically the new Revolution (http://www.fieldturf.com/images/revolution/FTNA_Revolution%20Brochure_220211_WEB.pdf) surface.

NEW TURF DESIGN FINALIZED, INSTALLATION TO BEGIN THIS WEEK: Wednesday’s practice will likely be the last outdoor session of the spring for Appalachian, as the replacement of Kidd Brewer Stadium’s eight-year-old FieldTurf playing surface could begin as early as Thursday.

Kidd Brewer Stadium will be one of the first venues in the nation to feature FieldTurf’s new ‘Revolution’ playing surface, which includes the latest technology to give ASU the most player-friendly yet durable field available.

The field design features Appalachian’s familiar Block A logo at midfield, the recognizable Appalachian State wordmark in both end zones and alternating shades of green every five yards to give the artificial surface the look of a freshly mowed grass field.

Also as part of the project, the field’s crown will be removed and the high-jump pit that currently sits beyond the south end zone will be moved to the other end of the field to allow for the installation of additional stadium seating in the north end zone (in front of Owens Field House).

The removal of the old FieldTurf surface has been delayed by a couple of days but will begin this week, possibly as early as Thursday, and the installation of the new field is scheduled to be completed in plenty of time for the open of fall sports practices in August.

GoASU (http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205106937&SPID=12811&SPSID=104458)

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
xshakefistx

49RFootballNow
June 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
And the Gold used is "old gold"? I ask cause we'll be using an artificial surface and gold might be an endzone color for us.

Mountaineer
June 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
And the Gold used is "old gold"? I ask cause we'll be using an artificial surface and gold might be an endzone color for us.

xlolx

No, apparently App is using a combination of yellers. xbangx

I'm sure if you guys do gold, as with every other school that does so, you'll use one shade (and make sure it's the right one).

whoanellie
June 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
some drunk KA w/ a bucket of paint should be able to straighten out any blemishes:
"don't cha know you need to know,
that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.
They paved Paradise to put up a parking lot!!"
la-la-la-la-la-la-la
Elon: play'n on grass since 1909

Skjellyfetti
June 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
some drunk KA w/ a bucket of paint should be able to straighten out any blemishes:
la-la-la-la-la-la-la

I think you were smoking grass when you typed that post. xrotatehx

Apphole
June 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The turf makes it even easier to outrun the Elon players.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
la-la-la-la-la-la-la

Good for you guys. Grass is fine and all if you can't afford to step up the fieldturf it's a nice fallback option. For the players though it seems to be a real step up according to the ones I've talked to about it. I've seen it reported a few times that is much easier on the hips & knees and so forth.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Nothing could look more ridiculous than press boxes that are taller than the stands they are sitting on anyway. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig

Saint3333
June 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM
You're right the recruits sure are complaining about that 100,000 sq. ft. complex.

Also you might want to change your sig, UTC has the third most athletic championships in the SoCon.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
You're right the recruits sure are complaining about that 100,000 sq. ft. complex.

Also you might want to change your sig, UTC has the third most athletic championships in the SoCon.

Prove it

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM
So basically you have your stands there, and then there are boxes on top of the stands. Whether they be luxury boxes or press boxes. And they appear to be taller than the stands. Which looks ridiculous.

asumike83
June 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Nothing could look more ridiculous than press boxes that are taller than the stands they are sitting on anyway. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig

The press box is nowhere near the height of the stands it sits on. The first 6 levels of the Appalachian Athletic Center are club seats, luxury suites, training facilities, administrative offices, etc. The press box is only the 7th level.

Check it out, it is an impressive facility:
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204989211

SideLine Shooter
June 15th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Are you talking about the stadium that you rent? Last time I checked App owns their stadium and it is on campus.

Saint3333
June 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Prove it

You'll learn I DO my research before making claims. Actually in this case the research comes from my perspective the most respected UTC poster out there:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84717-App-State-31-peats/page3

Furman 177
ASU 171
Chattanooga 165

asumike83
June 15th, 2011, 07:58 AM
So basically you have your stands their, and then their are boxes on top of the stands. Whether they be luxury boxes or press boxes. And they appear to be taller than the stands. Which looks ridiculous.

Hey, not everybody's 100,000 square-foot, FBS-caliber athletic center can be as aesthetically pleasing as the one Chattanooga has! Oh wait, nevermind.

biggie
June 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I'm confused. Are the press boxes and luxury suites supposed to be below the stands? That's going to make it tough to see the field.

Apphole
June 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
So basically you have your stands their, and then their are boxes on top of the stands. Whether they be luxury boxes or press boxes. And they appear to be taller than the stands. Which looks ridiculous.

It's ridiculous to use the wrong "their" so many times. I think he's just jealous that we have our own stadium on campus and it's not full of UT fans.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 08:26 AM
You'll learn I DO my research before making claims. Actually in this case the research comes from my perspective the most respected UTC poster out there:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84717-App-State-31-peats/page3

Furman 177
ASU 171
Chattanooga 165

Ill take UTC's word for it.

Your numbers are absurdly high. Im talking about SoCon recognized titles.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
It's ridiculous to use the wrong "their" so many times. I think he's just jealous that we have our own stadium on campus and it's not full of UT fans.

I think its jealousy that we have an actual city that can afford to help pay for a stadium that is actually nice.

Apphole
June 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
We have a college town. One of only 2 in NC. I'm am jealous of no one. Especially after my trip to Chatty last year.

Mountaineer
June 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Here are some more pics of the Crock at The Rock taken by ASU66 on the MMB.

Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/app4ever/sets/72157626958255766/)

WUTNDITWAA
June 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think its jealousy that we have an actual city that can afford to help pay for a stadium that is actually nice.

Yeah, it's nice. We've sold it out three times. Something the Mocs have managed to do once in 14 seasons. You think perhaps the folks in that "actual city" might think to buy a game ticket every now and then?

Page 17 of the UTC Media Guide
Largest Crowd: 23,010....Delaware vs. Appalachian State 12/14/07
Largest UTC Crowd: 22,642...vs. Tennessee State 10/18/97

HighCountry
June 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Yeah that city sure looked great, especially the hood we drove through on the way to Kidd Brewer West.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Yeah that city sure looked great, especially the hood we drove through on the way to Kidd Brewer West.

Yeah their are hoods in most 170,000 people cities. There are also alot of other things that a "college town"
cannot provide.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, it's nice. We've sold it out three times. Something the Mocs have managed to do once in 14 seasons. You think perhaps the folks in that "actual city" might think to buy a game ticket every now and then?

Page 17 of the UTC Media Guide
Largest Crowd: 23,010....Delaware vs. Appalachian State 12/14/07
Largest UTC Crowd: 22,642...vs. Tennessee State 10/18/97

Yeah the locals are the ones who sold out those games you idiot. There actually may be other things going on in Chattanooga besides FCS football on a fall Saturday. I know its shocking. There is also the idea of not throwing away money and time to watch a losing team. The mocs had decent attendance this past year and it will only increase.

biggie
June 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
There may be other things to do in the entire states of NC/GA/SC/TN/VA/etc, but App fans drive to Boone for gamedays anyway.

Smitty
June 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Still can't get past those sidelines...

Looking at the flickr pictures are they really 2 shades? Maybe they are deciding what color to have on the field...

biggie
June 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Still can't get past those sidelines...

Looking at the flickr pictures are they really 2 shades? Maybe they are deciding what color to have on the field...
The only good news, is players will be standing on top of the sidelines usually, covering them up. Believe lighting may play a big part in what the color looks like at the time. Has looked different each time I look at the webcam or pictures.

Looks like the endzone logos are being prepared now.

GlassOnion
June 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah the locals are the ones who sold out those games you idiot. There actually may be other things going on in Chattanooga besides FCS football on a fall Saturday. I know its shocking. There is also the idea of not throwing away money and time to watch a losing team. The mocs had decent attendance this past year and it will only increase.

Thats even worse, the locals will pack the place for ASU, and the place sits empty in the regular season. Who cares if its locals selling it out? It only helps App. And the vast majority of those people were wearing black and gold.

asumike83
June 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM

So... your reasoning is that UTC fans have better things to do and your team isn't worth the money? Got it.

99% of ASU Alumni do not live in Boone, so what is going on in town really has no bearing on our attendance. The vast majority drive to Boone for gameday weekends from Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area. If you're implying that there is more to do in Chattanooga than Charlotte or Raleigh, you may need to get out of Chattanooga for a weekend sometime.

As for the 'locals' selling out the game, why did so many of the locals come dressed in ASU gear?
http://www.playattherock.com/cmsimg/DSC_0584.jpg

Apphole
June 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
If App was in Vagas, I'd still go to every home game. We would just party before and after.... Kinda like we already do in Boone.

Mountaineer
June 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Block A action at midfield! xholyx

phoenixphanatic21
June 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
We have a college town. One of only 2 in NC. I'm am jealous of no one. Especially after my trip to Chatty last year.

I'm just curious, what's the only other college town in NC?

GlassOnion
June 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm just curious, what's the only other college town in NC?

greenville

T-Dog
June 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'd say Boiling Springs and Cullowhee are college towns. The town wouldn't exist if it weren't for the colleges.

Mountaineer
June 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That's a sweet shade of orange around the A. xlolx Hope the "Mountaineers" script is added to the middle at some point as shown in the drawing.

I'm counting 4 or 5 separate yellas now on the field. xdontknowx

biggie
June 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Colors still change everytime I see them.

Right now the A outline and goalines match and part of the sidelines match, but see 2 different shades on the sidelines currently.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thats even worse, the locals will pack the place for ASU, and the place sits empty in the regular season. Who cares if its locals selling it out? It only helps App. And the vast majority of those people were wearing black and gold.

False. The vast majority were wearing nothing to support the either team. They were there to see a national championship game. App State had nothing to do with it. Noone can sell out a stadium for a team that wins 1 or 2 games year after year. It doesnt happen.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
So... your reasoning is that UTC fans have better things to do and your team isn't worth the money? Got it.

99% of ASU Alumni do not live in Boone, so what is going on in town really has no bearing on our attendance. The vast majority drive to Boone for gameday weekends from Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham area. If you're implying that there is more to do in Chattanooga than Charlotte or Raleigh, you may need to get out of Chattanooga for a weekend sometime.

As for the 'locals' selling out the game, why did so many of the locals come dressed in ASU gear?

They arent. I see a smattering of yellow. Other than that you cant tell what is what.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
There were about 100 app fans at the game last year here. Tops. So much for them traveling so well.

StorminASU
June 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
You had to have been smoking crack if you thought there were only 100 fans at the Chatt-App game last year.

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You had to have been smoking crack if you thought there were only 100 fans at the Chatt-App game last year.

Close to that. There were none on the press/luxury box side, the other side was probably 60/70 percent full and 95 percent of those were mocs fans. Maybe 200 ASU fans.

asucrutch23
June 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Close to that. There were none on the press/luxury box side, the other side was probably 60/70 percent full and 95 percent of those were mocs fans. Maybe 200 ASU fans.

95%???? You're kidding right?? Here's the best picture I could find of PART of the ASU side. There were at least 3 sections of App fans and those were more than "60/70 percent full."

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
95%???? You're kidding right?? Here's the best picture I could find of PART of the ASU side. There were at least 3 sections of App fans and those were more than "60/70 percent full."

Thats about half of them

Apphole
June 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
De-Nile is not just a river in Africa... Could some griz fan or something please take an objective look at those pictures? I suppose that was a bunch of Chat locals storming the field after we won right? Baha. You're starting to rival UNCC in being delusional.

49RFootballNow
June 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
You're starting to rival UNCC in being delusional.

Did your mom never tell you not to call out the name of the Devil else he'll show up?xangelx

citdog
June 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Did your mom never tell you not to call out the name of the Devil else he'll show up?xangelx

I think that was Beetleguese

Saint3333
June 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Ill take UTC's word for it.

Your numbers are absurdly high. Im talking about SoCon recognized titles.

These numbers are the numbers of titles... What the hell are you talking about? Even when facts are presented you still don't believe them. It very difficutl to take your posts seriously, so I guess I'll stop trying to do so...

Apphole
June 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Wow. Do you have some sort of email notification system set up every time someone types "UNCC" or do you really just have that much time on your hands?

chattownmocs
June 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
These numbers are the numbers of titles... What the hell are you talking about? Even when facts are presented you still don't believe them. It very difficutl to take your posts seriously, so I guess I'll stop trying to do so...

Let me give you a hint. If you won the regular season and tournament titles in the same sport. Thats only one title. There is only one "Socon" champion per sport per year. Id say thats what you are doing unless you are adding individual titles as well. There havent been enough team titles for all these teams to have hundreds.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
De-Nile is not just a river in Africa... Could some griz fan or something please take an objective look at those pictures? I suppose that was a bunch of Chat locals storming the field after we one right? Baha. You're starting to rival UNCC in being delusional.

There are a lot of App fans there that's pretty plain to see. How heavily attended was the App game compared to their other home games?

49RFootballNow
June 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Wow. Do you have some sort of email notification system set up every time someone types "UNCC" or do you really just have that much time on your hands?

Good, GOOD! I can feel the Hate following through you.
http://www.theforce.net/kids/coruscant/probe_droid/palpatine.jpg

WUTNDITWAA
June 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM

So, in 2008 and 2009 when ASU didn't make it to Chattanooga, the game sold out? How about in 2004? I guess what's kept the NC game in Chattanooga is because of the great local fan support. Oh, wait.

It was also nice of all the locals to rush the field for us. Very touching.

WUTNDITWAA
June 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Hey. There I am! I was wearing a gray/orange coat that night, because I left my black coat at the hotel. According to some, that made me a local.

asumike83
June 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
So, in 2008 and 2009 when ASU didn't make it to Chattanooga, the game sold out? How about in 2004? I guess what's kept the NC game in Chattanooga is because of the great local fan support. Oh, wait.

It was also nice of all the locals to rush the field for us. Very touching.

It is just coincidence that only the ASU games sold out. The Chattanooga locals buy up all those tickets, can't you READ?? Also, purely by coincidence, the locals got together and decided to storm the field (no matter who won) from 2005-2007. After that, they all decided to give up on FCS football to go explore the wonders of the booming Chattanooga night life in December. It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

chattownmocs
June 16th, 2011, 06:54 AM
The difference between the games that sold out andd the games that didnt is a few thousand fans. So App State probably brought 5,000 when Montana could only bring 3,000. Congrats. The game left chattanooga for no reason. There is no good reason for the game to leave. That was a mistake by the NCAA. As far as the shots at Chattanooga. You are funny. This is consistently voted one of the top mid size cities in the country. Have fun in your little mountain town. There is certainly a reason why you never got the Championship game.

asumike83
June 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM
The difference between the games that sold out andd the games that didnt is a few thousand fans. So App State probably brought 5,000 when Montana could only bring 3,000. Congrats. The game left chattanooga for no reason. There is no good reason for the game to leave. That was a mistake by the NCAA. As far as the shots at Chattanooga. You are funny. This is consistently voted one of the top mid size cities in the country. Have fun in your little mountain town. There is certainly a reason why you never got the Championship game.

Attendance for the 2007 ASU/Delaware National Championship game: 23,010
Attendance for the 2009 Montana/Nova National Championship game: 14,328

By my calculations, that difference is a little more than 2,000. I wasn't taking a shot at the city of Chattanooga, I actually like the city a lot and had a great weekend all 3 years that I visited. I was just making a jab at your statement about UTC games not selling out because there are better things to do on a fall Saturday. Most school's alumni do not live in town after they graduate and the season ticket holders are usually driving in from bigger cities for gameday. Of course there are other things going on, but the alumni who buy season tickets and drive in from out of town (as in my example of the Charlotte/Raleigh ASU Alumni) choose to come watch football instead. Being a small college town in the mountains is what makes Boone great, but of course they wont' play the Championship game there. I never made any statement that even suggested it should ever be played in Boone.

AppAlum2003
June 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Yeah, the NCAA felt totally comfortable with picking Chattanooga because they figured it would be about as neutral as could be... no way Chatty was making it that far.

StorminASU
June 16th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah, the NCAA felt totally comfortable with picking Chattanooga because they figured it would be about as neutral as could be... no way Chatty was making it that far.

Bam, Zing, Game Over

Waco Kid
June 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Wow. You're nuts if you think there were only 5,000 ASU fans there. A lot of those tickets the locals bought were resold to App fans for a nice profit. I've seen several reports from locals that ASU had between 10,000 and 12,000 fans at the 2007 game. Most of the people I know bought tickets from Chattanooga not from ASU so don't try to say we only sold our allotment. For the decade of the 2000's the NC game averaged 15,058 when ASU didn't play there. The 3 years ASU played there the average was 22,018. That is a difference of right at 7,000 fans more for ASU. Most teams average 2,000-3,000 so add that to the 7,000 and we are looking at 9 or 10,000. Had the stadium been able to hold more we could have easily had 15,000 plus.

Anyways, the turf is starting to take shape with the A being laid down. Still waiting to see what these end zones will looks like.

Mikeyosef
June 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I was at the 2007 game courtesy of a ticket bought by a Chatty alum living locally. I went with my buddy, his brother and another friend of theirs all living locally and all very active players in the Chattanooga comunity. They all said how much they like it when App makes it to the finals and it's not because they're App Fans, they're all local businessmen who said it's a big boost to the community when App shows up. One guy told me he had never seen anything like the tailgating show we put on downtown the day of the game. To a person they each bemoaned the fact that the Mocs couldn't generate that kind of interest in their own city. That's a FACT JACK!

SoCon48
June 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM

You only got the game because the stadium is only a quasi university facility.

chattownmocs
June 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Attendance for the 2007 ASU/Delaware National Championship game: 23,010
Attendance for the 2009 Montana/Nova National Championship game: 14,328

By my calculations, that difference is a little more than 2,000. I wasn't taking a shot at the city of Chattanooga, I actually like the city a lot and had a great weekend all 3 years that I visited. I was just making a jab at your statement about UTC games not selling out because there are better things to do on a fall Saturday. Most school's alumni do not live in town after they graduate and the season ticket holders are usually driving in from bigger cities for gameday. Of course there are other things going on, but the alumni who buy season tickets and drive in from out of town (as in my example of the Charlotte/Raleigh ASU Alumni) choose to come watch football instead. Being a small college town in the mountains is what makes Boone great, but of course they wont' play the Championship game there. I never made any statement that even suggested it should ever be played in Boone.

There are better things to do on fall saturdays than watch a 1 or 2 win team play. Thats a fact. Another fact is that App State would not be selling out if they were winning 1 or 2 games per year. They would have bad attendance too. Chattanooga's attendance is on the rise and it will continue to rise as the mocs get stronger.

chattownmocs
June 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I was at the 2007 game courtesy of a ticket bought by a Chatty alum living locally. I went with my buddy, his brother and another friend of theirs all living locally and all very active players in the Chattanooga comunity. They all said how much they like it when App makes it to the finals and it's not because they're App Fans, they're all local businessmen who said it's a big boost to the community when App shows up. One guy told me he had never seen anything like the tailgating show we put on downtown the day of the game. To a person they each bemoaned the fact that the Mocs couldn't generate that kind of interest in their own city. That's a FACT JACK!

Boost to the community when a few extra thousand extra fans show up for one day. Be serious. Chattanooga's economy is not struggling. The Unemployment rates are a measley 6.5. It has been voted number 1 nationally for economic growth potential. We didnt need this game economically. It was simply a source of pride to say we had the national championship.

Smitty
June 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Boost to the community when a few extra thousand extra fans show up for one day. Be serious. Chattanooga's economy is not struggling. The Unemployment rates are a measley 6.5. It has been voted number 1 nationally for economic growth potential. We didnt need this game economically. It was simply a source of pride to say we had the national championship.

I saw that Chattanooga lost the Basketball tournament to Asheville. Asheville is expected to bring in $4mil in economic benefits because of the tournament this year.

Try to play it off as much as you like, all of those extra fans do play a big role.

chattownmocs
June 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I saw that Chattanooga lost the Basketball tournament to Asheville. Asheville is expected to bring in $4mil in economic benefits because of the tournament this year.

Try to play it off as much as you like, all of those extra fans do play a big role.

They lost it? I didnt know they ever "had" it, to my knowledge it had been going back and forth between charleston and Chattanooga. 4 million dollars really isnt alot of money in the grand scheme of things for a city of 170,000. I think we will survive.

WUTNDITWAA
June 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Did they ever get that sound system fixed, chatty? I know that during the season all you need is a guy barking the down-and-distance through a bull horn, but for big games -- ones on national television where over 22,000 fans show up -- it would be a nice courtesy to fix your sound system. You'd think at least one of those 170,000 residents was an electrician.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Another fact is that App State would not be selling out if they were winning 1 or 2 games per year. They would have bad attendance too.

It has been 33 years since ASU won only 2 games in a season.

Smitty
June 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM

It has been... ah crap...

AppMan
June 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
It has been... ah crap...

Gotta love & respect your sense of humor!

chattownmocs
June 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Exactly. So they have no idea how hard it is to go to a game when a team is that bad.

GaSouthern
June 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Did y'all design in any Ingle Martin Ice Patch areas in the turf?

SideLine Shooter
June 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Did y'all design in any Ingle Martin Ice Patch areas in the turf?

I have heard of a statue in the corner endzone for Ingle Martin and Bobby Lambs "Go for Two" since it all happened in the same area. Sounds good to me.

Apphole
June 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have heard of a statue in the corner endzone for Ingle Martin and Bobby Lambs "Go for Two" since it all happened in the same area. Sounds good to me.

The magic corner

Apphole
June 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Speaking of going for two, do you remember last years UTC/App game chattown? "batted down by Mark Legree!"

SideLine Shooter
June 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Speaking of going for two, do you remember last years UTC/App game chattown? "batted down by Mark Legree!"

was right there in the endzone. a great finish.

Smitty
June 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
You guys talk too much have to post this again...

So the field almost looks finished. Except for the script in the endzones, big A, and the sidelines (if they are still going with that).

StorminASU
June 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Just to ease everyone's mind, I'll mention this again. I live in Boone and dropped by for a second time yesterday around 7:00. As someone said earlier, without harsh sunlight/glare the colors of yellow/gold are the same everywhere so it must have something to do with the turf laying down differently in different locations. I'm positive once the pellets get put in and the blades pop up a little, it'll look even better than it already does. The A at midfield looks great from the top of the West stands and they have already marked off the location of the South Endzone design. It's gonna be great to have a dedicated football field with our logo back on finally. GO ASU!!!

biggie
June 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Do like the A, just waiting on endzones and sidelines.

http://www.goasu.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=401283&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&PAGE_ID=&ZID=205690049

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/400/AL/ALURSHXIMHKFKUV.20110616183311.jpg

Apphole
June 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I honestly wish the A was twice that size

biggie
June 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Think it would be fine to be wider, but that would make it too tall. wouldn't look right going all the way across the field side-to-side.

boonedocks
June 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM
It is actually a little bigger than most mid-field logos. If you look at most stadiums (outside of ECU), logos fit neatly between the hashes vertically, and the 45's horizontally. I think it will be perfect size when finished.

Smitty
June 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
The WCU logo is huge stretching from 40-40

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/bonsaiburke/WCULOGO.png

AppMan
June 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I honestly wish the A was twice that size

It is the perfect size. Not to big to be gaudy and not so small that it is difficult to see. I had my doubts about the alternating shades of green because on the lighter shade looks almost yellow. Have to admit the field, minus the yeller, looks really good.

chattownmocs
June 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Just a bad play call.

T-Dog
June 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
You guys talk too much have to post this again...

So the field almost looks finished. Except for the script in the endzones, big A, and the sidelines (if they are still going with that).

Looks like the crew got a day off today. They had worked dawn-to-dusk since the 6th so that's fine with me.

AppMan
June 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
It is my understanding it will take as much time it not more to pur the fill into place. Have to apply thin levels then fluff up the turf and repeat until it reaches the right height.

Smitty
June 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
What is going on at your field?

Looks like pellets and endzone script

StorminASU
June 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
What is going on at your field?

Looks like pellets and endzone script

Finally! haha. I was beginning to think they had forgotten about it. Can't wait to see this work of art finished.

biggie
June 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
Yep, sand earlier today, now rubber and endzone logos.

Not too horrible on the endzones, do wish they were a solid color though.

SoCon48
June 21st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Yep, sand earlier today, now rubber and endzone logos.

Not too horrible on the endzones, do wish they were a solid color though.

The endzones look a little cheap. It would have been better to leave them as they were.

StorminASU
June 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
We didn't though, these are the new ones, we're gonna win a lot on them, get used to it.
I'm tired of the mindless dribble on and on about nothing, complaining about everything. WHEN DOES FOOTBALL START???

cannonballgsu
June 21st, 2011, 02:38 PM
The endzones look a little cheap. It would have been better to leave them as they were.

I would have went with "Mountaineers" in the endzones rather than Appalachian State. Other than that, it looks good.

biggie
June 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
Current monsoon will halt work for the day I would guess.

T-Dog
June 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah it monsoons just about every afternoon in June and July on the mountain.

ASUMountaineer
June 21st, 2011, 02:57 PM
I am digging the endzones...I know I'm in the minority, but I think they look good.

biggie
June 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah it monsoons just about every afternoon in June and July on the mountain.
I always considered it a clearly off shower.

chattownmocs
June 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
The endzone looks good. The turf is a nice color on the field.

Mountaineer
June 21st, 2011, 08:25 PM
I like the green endzones, and don't even mind the Appalachian State text (however small), but I've never been a fan of the font. I don't even like it on the jerseys. Something about serifs on athletic stuff just looks funky to me.

If I had my way I'd go back to the large "Appalachian" on the front of the jersey.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3310/2005schedule2.jpg

xbowx

HighCountry
June 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
Those jerseys are great, no frills, just APP.

ASUMountaineer
June 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Those jerseys are great, no frills, just APP.

I like those, I actually have one. However, my favorite were the throwbacks for the 1989 season. I really dig the gold (yellow) pants.

http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/photos/appalachian_state_footbal/armanti2.jpg

Skjellyfetti
June 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
^^YES. Those are awesome.

I wish we'd go to something like that permanently and wear black pants on the road and on Black Saturday.

ASUMountaineer
June 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
^^YES. Those are awesome.

I wish we'd go to something like that permanently and wear black pants on the road and on Black Saturday.

Like we did when I was in college. I totally agree.

The Cats
June 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3310/2005schedule2.jpg

Did they steal that poster idea from the movie Brokeback Mountain?

StorminASU
June 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM

Did you steal your coaching strategy from this movie?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/TheLosers2010Poster.jpg/220px-TheLosers2010Poster.jpg

ASUMountaineer
June 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM

Ummm...we're not the ones in purple.

Blueandwhitefightfight
June 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Ummm...we're not the ones in purple.

You forgot to add "with glitter helmets". lol

T-Dog
June 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1618.jpg

AppMan
June 23rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
I always considered it a clearly off shower.

Did you mean to say a clearing off shower?

MountaineerNation
June 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
has anyone heard anything about the north end zone seats?

Smitty
June 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
It is looking better but the sidelines still hurt...

biggie
June 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Did you mean to say a clearing off shower?
Yes I did, may have been drinking at work or something.

Appaholic
June 23rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
The WCU logo is huge stretching from 40-40

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/bonsaiburke/WCULOGO.png

Ironic...that's usually where your offense is camped out as well....

HighCountry
June 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
What is that, the Cullowhee put-put course?

Looked at the field in person today and the endzones look much better when you actually see them. (though I would still prefer the black turf)

biggie
June 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Ironic...that's usually where your offense is camped out as well....
I thought they just made that their endzone and try to get to the 40 on offense?

AppMan
June 24th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I'm thinking the script Mountaineers won't make it into the player boxes on the sidelines. Crews have already put sand and fill in both.

Smitty
June 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I thought they just made that their endzone and try to get to the 40 on offense?

Come on be a little realistic here...

We need a handicap to the 35 yard line...

Mountaineer
June 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
The turf is still getting its infill.

http://www.goasu.com//pics32/1024/WD/WDXKWHYRXXJRWVV.20110624234717.jpg

Alternating green sections, Block A, zero field hockey lines. xlovex

T-Dog
June 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
It's amazing how much infill it needs. I walked on it before the infill started and the blades of turf are about 2-3 inches long so your foot sinks in (hence why there were visible footprints on the turf from the webcam).

And they haven't even used half of the stuff they brought.

whoanellie
June 26th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm glad there are no typos,

AppAlum2003
June 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Unlike that rogue comma?

cannonballgsu
June 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Unlike that rogue comma?

Hahahaha

The sidelines seem to be toned down a little.

biggie
June 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
The sidelines seem to be toned down a little.
All the yellow/gold is the same color on the field. It just changes depending on the angle. Lines on the goals are laid one way and the sidelines are 90 degrees different.

Also the rubber pieces have darkend everything, and lighting changes it quite a bit.

asumike83
June 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
The turf is still getting its infill.

http://www.goasu.com//pics32/1024/WD/WDXKWHYRXXJRWVV.20110624234717.jpg

Alternating green sections, Block A, zero field hockey lines. xlovex

Alright, I though I was the ONLY App State fan in the world who actually likes the new field! Love the block A, love the alternating greens every 5 yards and getting rid of the field hockey lines was well overdue. So much has been made about the end zones not being black, but they have grown on me as well.

And what do you know? Wait until it is nearing completion instead of complaining about a half-finished job and the colors match up... it's almost like they know what they're doing.

appstate38
June 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I like it as well..... Will like it more when the Apps return this fall.

Smitty
June 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Remember as kids we would use a yellow marker near or on a different color and it turned the tip black?

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Remember as kids we would use a yellow marker near or on a different color and it turned the tip black?

You look like Philip Morgan!!!

John Deere
June 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM
You look like Philip Morgan!!!

This Philip Morgan guy can't be that ugly.

T-Dog
June 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM
The turf is done. They're not doing the script because when they started, it looked bad and since decided that getting it redone wouldn't matter since people will be standing on it when games are played.

AppAlum2003
June 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Good gosh... can we freakin' lose the yellow then? It looks stupid with just two giant blocks of yellow.

Maybe on rainy days we can use them as slip-n-slides?

pokefan02
June 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Looking at the stadium cam, is that a high school game being played right now are is the team already practicing (it is 4:52 Eastern right now)

biggie
June 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Probably some kind of football camp is my guess, haven't seen anything about what is going on though.

HighCountry
June 30th, 2011, 04:49 PM
There is a HS camp going on.

T-Dog
July 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1632.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1633.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1634.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/tdog231x/App/Turf%20Replacement/DSCN1635.jpg

biggie
July 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Good pics. Now to just wait on the 1,500 new bleacher seats, but that'll be after FanFest.