PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference 2011 Projected Standings.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 20th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Based on what I have seen with the schedules, here are my projections:

1. Appalachian State 8-0, 10-1 (fair chance of going from 5-3, 7-4 to 8-0, 11-0)
2. Georgia Southern 7-1, 9-2 (same as ASU but I don't see them beating Alabama)
3. Chattanooga 6-2, 8-3 (fair chance of going from 5-3, 5-6 to 8-0, 10-1)
4. Wofford 5-3, 7-4 (fair chance of them going to 8-0, 10-1 but unlikely)
5. Furman 4-4, 6-5
6. Elon 3-5, 5-6
7. The Citadel 2-6, 3-8 (fair chance of them beating Jacksonville)
8. Samford 1-7, 2-9 (Is this Sullivan's last year?)
9. Western Carolina 0-8, 1-9 (Is this Wagner's last year?)

Notes:
- Wofford is projected to have six D1 wins, may not be enough for inclusion in the playoffs.
- Georgia Southern has a better chance of starting off undefeated with their first true test vs. Chattanooga at home with ASU and Wofford on the road.

Smitty
February 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Didn't we already have a thread for this?

gophoenix
February 20th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Of course we did, but you can't have enough App threads and why we're all beneath them.

Reign of Terrier
February 20th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Wofford won't finish 4th. We may lose to App, GSU, and Chatty but not all three. I think we'll go at least 8-3, but most likely 9-2 or 10-1

phoenixphanatic21
February 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Didn't we already have a thread for this?

Guess we got tired of fighting over there, so we decided to move the fight to a new thread.

seantaylor
February 20th, 2011, 11:46 PM
1. GSU
2. Chatty
3. Woffie
4. Appy
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Eloan
8. WCU
9. El Chit

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
I don't see GSU at 9-2. They had a great playoff run, but they were very very very close to being 6-5 in 2010.

Tuscon
February 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't see GSU at 9-2. They had a great playoff run, but they were very very very close to being 6-5 in 2010.

Very very close, but they weren't. With the inexperienced team they had having one more year of play under their belts, I expect to see GS in the playoffs again.

I-16Bandit
February 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM

Furman was very very very close to beating Georgia Southern.

But they didn't.

Close only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades, and tactical nuclear weapons

PaladinFan
February 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM

But they didn't.

Not even making that argument. I just don't see them as a 9-2 team. I think they are certainly a playoff team, but 9-2 is kind of the gold standard in FCS football.

Tuscon
February 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not even making that argument. I just don't see them as a 9-2 team. I think they are certainly a playoff team, but 9-2 is kind of the gold standard in FCS football.

It will be tough to go 9-2, especially considering the Bama game is a L right off the bat. That means they can only lose 1 more game on that schedule. Definitely doable, not probable.

Reign of Terrier
February 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM

Great Defense, not so much on the offense (average, decent at best)

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Great Defense, not so much on the offense (average, decent at best)

We are returning 21 of 22 starters. xcoolx

Honestly, I agree with you though. Our defense played lights out and got us places we shouldn't have been.

Offensively, Coach Monken said we barely even opened the playbook all year long because he wanted to keep it simple. The triple option has about 10 base plays that can be ran hundreds of different ways with pre-snap audibles. You can just google Paul Johnson Georgia Southern playbook and there is a copy you can view on scribd.

Monken said he felt it necessary to keep it simple so everyone would get the basics down.

Our offense was very vanilla. That's to be expected the first year of transformation to the triple option though. It definately exceeded our expectations for the first year.

We are going into year 2 with the benefit of experience, returning all but one starter, and all of the new guys (new recruits, transfers, and guys who redshirted last year).

We should be a top 3 team in the SoCon.

9-2, that is within the realm of reality but I'm thinking more like 8-3. I hope it isn't 7-4 because that will likely keep us out of the playoffs because we would only have 6 DI wins. Don't forget we have to play DII Tusculum and Alabama. Neither of those will count towards the playoffs. We start the season with 2 losses basically. Our A.D. is such a dumba**.

Reign of Terrier
February 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
We are returning 21 of 22 starters. xcoolx

Honestly, I agree with you though. Our defense played lights out and got us places we shouldn't have been.

Offensively, Coach Monken said we barely even opened the playbook all year long because he wanted to keep it simple. The triple option has about 10 base plays that can be ran hundreds of different ways with pre-snap audibles. You can just google Paul Johnson Georgia Southern playbook and there is a copy you can view on scribd.

Monken said he felt it necessary to keep it simple so everyone would get the basics down.

Our offense was very vanilla. That's to be expected the first year of transformation to the triple option though. It definately exceeded our expectations for the first year.

We are going into year 2 with the benefit of experience, returning all but one starter, and all of the new guys (new recruits, transfers, and guys who redshirted last year).

We should be a top 3 team in the SoCon.

9-2, that is within the realm of reality but I'm thinking more like 8-3. I hope it isn't 7-4 because that will likely keep us out of the playoffs because we would only have 6 DI wins. Don't forget we have to play DII Tusculum and Alabama. Neither of those will count towards the playoffs. We start the season with 2 losses basically. Our A.D. is such a dumba**.
Nightmare scenario that I could see happening for GSU: Wofford or App win 8-9 games+ and Chatty goes 7-4 and makes the playoffs, whereas GSU goes 7-4 and is the odd man out. I actually am willing to bet that that may happen

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Nightmare scenario that I could see happening for GSU: Wofford or App win 8-9 games+ and Chatty goes 7-4 and makes the playoffs, whereas GSU goes 7-4 and is the odd man out. I actually am willing to bet that that may happen

I almost hope it does to be brutally honest. Why? Because then there would be almost no way Sam Baker keeps his job.

Skjellyfetti
February 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
I almost hope it does to be brutally honest. Why? Because then there would be almost no way Sam Baker keeps his job.

If forgetting to bid to host the playoffs after the first round didn't do him in..... I think he's safe until he decides to retire.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
If forgetting to bid to host the playoffs after the first round didn't do him in..... I think he's safe until he decides to retire.

You would think, however I don't believe the full disclosure of the situation was ever posted on here.

What ACTUALLY happened was that the person managing business matters for the athletic dept. had submitted bid for the first two rounds of the playoffs to the NCAA. His wife was 6 months pregnant at the time. She suddenly went into emergency labor and it was a very dire situation. Obviously, the gentleman dropped everything and left immediately for the hospital. Thankful the new little Eagle and the wife were fine. When he got back to the office, he told Sam (our AD) what happened and Sam e-mailed the NCAA asking for a waiver due to an extreme medical emergency.

The FCS playoff committee said no.

I for one cannot fault our AD for this. It was just an extreme and rare occurance.

Now, the cluster****** that happened with the 2011 schedule.. that's totally his fault and should be the nail in his coffin.

Tuscon
February 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
You would think, however I don't believe the full disclosure of the situation was ever posted on here.

What ACTUALLY happened was that the person managing business matters for the athletic dept. had submitted bid for the first two rounds of the playoffs to the NCAA. His wife was 6 months pregnant at the time. She suddenly went into emergency labor and it was a very dire situation. Obviously, the gentleman dropped everything and left immediately for the hospital. Thankful the new little Eagle and the wife were fine. When he got back to the office, he told Sam (our AD) what happened and Sam e-mailed the NCAA asking for a waiver due to an extreme medical emergency.

I for one cannot fault our AD for this. It was just an extreme and rare occurance.

Now, the cluster****** that happened with the 2011 schedule.. that's totally his fault and should be the nail in his coffin.

Wait, so because he couldn't send whatever paperwork for maybe one day due to a birth you guys didn't get it in? Did he wait until the last possible day to do it, then the birth happened? He couldn't call up Sammy the next day and let him know what needed to be done? I'm sorry, but that seems like a pretty sorry excuse.

eaglewraith
February 21st, 2011, 10:41 PM

Sam knew the deadlines. It's his responsibility to make sure things like that get done on time. I would imagine he knew about his employee having to go through a difficult time as it would involve said employee being away from the office for a some amount of time. Sam should have finished the bid himself if need be, or at the very least assigned someone else to take care of it. I put no fault into the guy dealing with a medical emergency. I put all blame on Sam.

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Wait, so because he couldn't send whatever paperwork for maybe one day due to a birth you guys didn't get it in? Did he wait until the last possible day to do it, then the birth happened? He couldn't call up Sammy the next day and let him know what needed to be done? I'm sorry, but that seems like a pretty sorry excuse.

I don't know the specifics but I would guess that this nightmare wasn't a one day medical emergency. Given the nature of what happened I don't think it went down in one day. Think about it, the baby was delivered THREE months premature. It is not uncommon for babies delivered that prematurely to die. There is also the potential for complications in the days and weeks following birth. Because they are not fully developed they are at extreme high risk.

I don't think Georgia Southern was on this guy's mind at the time. I can't blame him. Yes, I wish someone would've thought to double check it or remember what progress had been made. It didn't happen. It's over.

If you want to blame Sam Baker on things, you can blame him for things like

- the athletic website not being updated since last year to include our star QB's profile (or any freshmen/transfers and updated 2010 stuff for the other players)

- the athletic dept. not reaching out to boosters for donations, not having a plan or vision, poor communications

- ridiculous scheduling half the time

- screwy coaching changes that are done in the most embarrassing manner (the hiring and firing process is amateur or mafia-style)

- putting a track/soccer stadium in the MIDDLE OF THE FOOTBALL TAILGATING LOT... costing us a lot of $$ in donations and pissing everyone off

and the list goes on and on. I could write a few pages. You could just go to our boards and ask who likes Sam Baker and wait for the response. It wouldn't be pretty.

seantaylor
February 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Total bs excuse. No rational human buys that. Another one of Sammys f ups that he tries to pawn off.

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 22nd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Total bs excuse. No rational human buys that. Another one of Sammys f ups that he tries to pawn off.

It wasn't a Baker f'up, but yes he is ultimately responsible. His response to it was lacking in responsibility, like usual. However of all of his f'ups this one is the one that I choose to let slide due to the extreme medical emergency and misunderstanding.

Everyone, and I mean everyone (the team, the coaches, the ath. dept., the fans) thought that the bids were in. We got 2 in and everyone thought we got them all in. How we only got 2 in I don't really understand.

Don't get me wrong, I was furious to not have a home game that weekend. I wanted to win one more time at home before having to go up to the frozen north that was Delaware. But hey, in the end we took care of business by taking over Paulson North (Wofford).

I still don't think that this was as big as a f'up on Sam's part as everyone makes it out to be. There are way more serious f'ups that cost us/are costing us way more money. For instance think of how much $$$ we are losing by that damn soccer/track stadium taking up 3 or 4 rows of tailgating space. He could've just built that at the old soccer field on fair road. PLENTY of space there. Or how about the Coastal Carolina cancelled on us so lets PAY a Division II school $75K to play us so we can beat them and it won't f'n count. Or the whole lets let Hatcher go with time on his contract so we can lose money. Granted that worked out well with Monken on the playing field, but we were paying 2 coaches for a while until Hatch signed on at Murray St.

Not having a playoff game against Wofford didn't cost us that much. We don't really pack the house during the playoffs and a lot of that money goes back to the NCAA. We have to pay the other team. We also have to pay the NCAA to host. Then there are operating costs (stadium staff, security, etc.). You also have to think about the unsold tickets. Georgia Southern also lets students get away with paying just 5 bucks a pop for a ticket and sucks up the other 20 bucks. We barely break even. I believe it was Keel who went on record saying that. Someone else from another school also said it (I think it was Keeler or the AD from Delaware, might've been Montana's guy).

Anyhow. Like I said, I hope we don't make the playoffs because of this Tusculum fiasco and we give Baker a nice farewell party out of town.

PaladinNation
February 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
I hope APP/GSU/CHATTY/WOFFY coaches take Furman as a sure win as the fans do.

Furman is in a very similar position as GSU returning 17 of 22 starters.
20 out of 22 on the two deep on defense, 16 out of 22 on the two deep on offense.
Coach Fowler has the players in place now to play some serious defense, I think defense will be the reason that Furman will be competitive.

I also like Furman's schedule I think Furman will beat either APP or Wofford at home this year. I think there is a good chance Furman can win both.

I'll play the intangibles card as to why Furman will be improved, and possibly greatly improved:

Defense. Fowler has lead great defenses against the best in FCS and FBS. Furman's not just getting a guy with a successful resume at the FCS level. Fowler coached very respected defenses at Vandy that were extremely talent-inferior in most games.

Strength training and conditioning. I think the most underrated move in the off-season was Furman hiring John Sisk. Players I've spoken with said this was a wake-up call. Again Furman made a move to hire one of the best at any level.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/20110105bard9p

Dr Smolla. Who created the change? Dr Smolla, I credit him for waking the sleeping giant. In his first year as president he is making a difference in campus life and its evident he wants to win in athletics.

If our president can wake up the students and fans for basketball… USC sold out, Davidson sold out, Wofford sold out. I think you will see home games this season sold out.

And the world must be coming to an end… Furman actually has a committee starting a Football Facilities Study.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
I hope APP/GSU/CHATTY/WOFFY coaches take Furman as a sure win as the fans do.

Furman is in a very similar position as GSU returning 17 of 22 starters.
20 out of 22 on the two deep on defense, 16 out of 22 on the two deep on offense.
Coach Fowler has the players in place now to play some serious defense, I think defense will be the reason that Furman will be competitive.

I also like Furman's schedule I think Furman will beat either APP or Wofford at home this year. I think there is a good chance Furman can win both.

I'll play the intangibles card as to why Furman will be improved, and possibly greatly improved:

Defense. Fowler has lead great defenses against the best in FCS and FBS. Furman's not just getting a guy with a successful resume at the FCS level. Fowler coached very respected defenses at Vandy that were extremely talent-inferior in most games.

Strength training and conditioning. I think the most underrated move in the off-season was Furman hiring John Sisk. Players I've spoken with said this was a wake-up call. Again Furman made a move to hire one of the best at any level.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/20110105bard9p

Dr Smolla. Who created the change? Dr Smolla, I credit him for waking the sleeping giant. In his first year as president he is making a difference in campus life and its evident he wants to win in athletics.

If our president can wake up the students and fans for basketball… USC sold out, Davidson sold out, Wofford sold out. I think you will see home games this season sold out.

And the world must be coming to an end… Furman actually has a committee starting a Football Facilities Study.

You make some good points. The hiring of Bruce Fowler was a good one, and the subsequent hiring of many former Vanderbilt and Furman coaches can't be ignored. If the rumors surronding the identity of the new offensive coordinator are true, you are looking at a very good Furman staff. These coaches inherit a team that has the talent to "win now."

I don't think you'll see Furman win the SoCon in 2011, but I think the renewed focus on discipline and getting back to the program's roots will turn a few of those close losses into wins. Furman was 5-6 in 2010, but they were only beaten soundly once (Wofford). They were in every other game late, and several times squandering a fourth quarter lead. They aren't that far away from competing.

There is just a feeling of renewed energy around Paladin athletics that I haven't seen since 2005. Anytime you are tlaking about sell out basketball games and South Carolina playing AT Furman, you are talking about putting the focus back on the University's sports programs. I imagine Furman will suprise a number of people in 2011.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM
You make some good points. The hiring of Bruce Fowler was a good one, and the subsequent hiring of many former Vanderbilt and Furman coaches can't be ignored. If the rumors surronding the identity of the new offensive coordinator are true, you are looking at a very good Furman staff. These coaches inherit a team that has the talent to "win now."

I don't think you'll see Furman win the SoCon in 2011, but I think the renewed focus on discipline and getting back to the program's roots will turn a few of those close losses into wins. Furman was 5-6 in 2010, but they were only beaten soundly once (Wofford). They were in every other game late, and several times squandering a fourth quarter lead. They aren't that far away from competing.

There is just a feeling of renewed energy around Paladin athletics that I haven't seen since 2005. Anytime you are tlaking about sell out basketball games and South Carolina playing AT Furman, you are talking about putting the focus back on the University's sports programs. I imagine Furman will suprise a number of people in 2011.

I'll have to agree with you on Furman not winning this season, but I have a feeling they will make some noise, which makes them the sleeper of the upcoming conference season.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 27th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Georgia Southern is probably getting more props than we deserve. We're still a year away from having the speed in full force, especially at QB.

PaladinNation
February 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Furman Winter Workout Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhD7-JpXg_0

Eaglesrus
February 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Georgia Southern is probably getting more props than we deserve. We're still a year away from having the speed in full force, especially at QB.

Hey, c'mon, how our we going to maintain our reputation for total obnoxiuosness if you're going to make statements like that? Didn't you mean to say that every other team in the SoCon may as well just mail it in and not even show up for games with us because we have nothing but 5 star athletes who should have just skipped college and gone straight to the NFL?

seantaylor
February 28th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hey, c'mon, how our we going to maintain our reputation for total obnoxiuosness if you're going to make statements like that? Didn't you mean to say that every other team in the SoCon may as well just mail it in and not even show up for games with us because we have nothing but 5 star athletes who should have just skipped college and gone straight to the NFL?

Totally disagree with this. We have an experienced senior QB who will be much better than he was last year. Is he our ideal QB? No. But, with all the skill position players, and new speed, mainly Alex Ford and Aaron Fisher from the RS team, we will be loaded on O. Oline has the greatest improvement from year 1 to year 2 in the option. Honestly, there is no reason why we shouldn't win every FCS game we play, and give Alabama a good game.

Tuscon
February 28th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Totally disagree with this. We have an experienced senior QB who will be much better than he was last year. Is he our ideal QB? No. But, with all the skill position players, and new speed, mainly Alex Ford and Aaron Fisher from the RS team, we will be loaded on O. Oline has the greatest improvement from year 1 to year 2 in the option. Honestly, there is no reason why we shouldn't win every FCS game we play, and give Alabama a good game.

You won't give Alabama a good game. To put it like you guys, don't be "delusional".

cannonballgsu
February 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
You won't give Alabama a good game. To put it like you guys, don't be "delusional".

Anything will be a "good game" compared to Ga State's poor attempt at football as they were getting rolled by the Tide.

Gringer1
February 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM

You obviously haven't figured out that eagleskins here is our most wacked out fan. He's basically the Georgia Southern equivalent of the entire Ga State fanbase.

gsueagle2424
February 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I don't think we will win but it will be a much better game than you guys put up. Alabama had to basically take a knee on offense to keep from putting 100+ on you guys.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I want to mail the 'Bama game in, get our paycheck, and get ready for the selection show to see who's coming to Paulson in two weeks.

Tuscon
February 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM
You guys are nuts if you think Alabama doesn't stomp you every which way just like they did us. You have a paycheck game just like us. I can't believe you still can't stop talking about how dumb we were to play Alabama when I assure you, you will fare no better. Good luck on the season, I hope you go 10-1.

cmaxwellgsu
February 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM
You guys are nuts if you think Alabama doesn't stomp you every which way just like they did us. You have a paycheck game just like us. I can't believe you still can't stop talking about how dumb we were to play Alabama when I assure you, you will fare no better. Good luck on the season, I hope you go 10-1.

We will fare way better than you losers. We've played SEC teams before, and have always kept it respectable. Even at its worst, we won't be playing Bama's water boys like y'all were.

Tuscon
February 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
We will fare way better than you losers. We've played SEC teams before, and have always kept it respectable. Even at its worst, we won't be playing Bama's water boys like y'all were.

You guys are being crazy. Alabama will swat you around just like they did us. Alabama is one of the premiere football programs in the SEC. If you think they won't be playing second string by the second have JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH US, you're crazier than I thought.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm just glad the precedent has been set with App getting stomped 48-0 by UF and still getting the #1 seed. Like I said, we should pull the starters if and/or when it gets out of control and count our money on the way back to the 'Boro.

Skjellyfetti
February 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
48-10, jerk xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
Can we start another SoCon thread where without App and Elon and Ga State and GSU bickering at one another?

No, Georgia Southern is not beating Alabama. No, it probably won't be close. Respectable, maybe. GSU might fare better than Georgia State as I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Bama won't even bother practicing against the option, and opt just to use their athletes and prepare for offenses they do see.

When you are talking about an FCS team v. the upper echelon of the SEC, there is such a talent gap its laughable. Furman didn't start putting points on Auburn two years ago until the third string was in the game. They could have scored 100 on us easily.

GaSouthern
March 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
GSU might fare better than Georgia State as I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Bama won't even bother practicing against the option.

The only way they don't prepare for us like they should is if they are in the SEC Championship game, then they will overlook us... but because we will be the last competition before the bowl season they will surely "waste" the energy to make sure they are prepared to shut down our flexbone.

We scored more points against UGA the last couple of times we played them than anyone in the SEC and we had a nice (18-0?) lead against Auburn before they took us to the woodshed. There is a reason we play these games and unlike GaState there actually is a fringe chance we could win, state never had a prayer.

With that said I expect a score of about 48-21 Alabama

Smitty
March 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
The only way they don't prepare for us like they should is if they are in the SEC Championship game, then they will overlook us... but because we will be the last competition before the bowl season they will surely "waste" the energy to make sure they are prepared to shut down our flexbone.

We scored more points against UGA the last couple of times we played them than anyone in the SEC and we had a nice (18-0?) lead against Auburn before they took us to the woodshed. There is a reason we play these games and unlike GaState there actually is a fringe chance we could win, state never had a prayer.

With that said I expect a score of about 48-21 Alabama

In the end it doesn't matter what the score... GS or GSU will still be manhandled by Alabama or really any major school they face in the FBS

gophoenix
March 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
In the end it doesn't matter what the score... GS or GSU will still be manhandled by Alabama or really any major school they face in the FBS

Exactly, a loss is a loss.

Tribal
March 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM

But they didn't.

And slow dancing.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
Exactly, a loss is a loss.

That was the point I tried to make earlier: A loss is a loss, BUT the FCS Playoff Selection Committee set a precedent in 2010 by selecting App St as th #1 seed following their 48-10 loss to UF. A win against an FBS counts, but a loss doesn't. Conversely, a loss vs a D2 counts, but a win doesn't which is why many in Eagle Nation are less than thrilled with replacing Coastal Carolina with a D2.

SoCon48
March 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Of course we did, but you can't have enough App threads and why we're all beneath them.

BINGO!

Blueandwhitefightfight
March 2nd, 2011, 01:30 AM

Yea. And App. St. will be destroyed be Michigan. JMU will get spanked by Virginia Tech. And lil' ole Jacksonville St. has NO chance against SEC Ole Miss. Georgia Southern shouldn't even bother playing Navy because they beat "major school in the FBS" Notre Dame pretty badly.

Oh. What? What's that? App. beat Michigan? JMU beat Virginia Tech? JSU beat Ole Miss? Georgia Southern kept the score closer against Navy than any other teams Navy played all year?

Oh and Mark Richt said out of all the FCS teams that he plays he fears GSU the most because we run the option and that "the option is the greatest equalizer in college football".

Our defense is light years ahead of what Georgia State had last year. Our offense is light years ahead of what Georgia State had last year. And our strategy of running the ball to bite time off the clock will help by keeping Bama from scoring and keeping our defense fresh.

It's not going to be as nasty as people think.

Even against UGA with Hatcher as a first year head coach and UGA ranked #1 at the time the score was 45-21.

I don't think we are going to win. But then again I didn't think App. would. I didn't think JMU would. I didn't think JSU would. I think we have a good shot to play them closer than most people think and seeing as how we are playing them at the end of the season we might be clicking and a few of their guys could be hurt. Who knows what could happen. We will see.

We will NOT get spanked. Beat? Probably. Spanked? NO.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM
Would you two just play each other or just stop arguing? Good grief. Have we really resulted to who would lost to Alabama by more argument?

oldfart
March 2nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
In Raymond Gross' 2nd year of running the option at Georgia Southern in 1988, Georgia SOUTHERN led #3 Florida State in Tallhassee in the 4th quarter before running out of steam.
Bear in mind that in 1988, the defense was the heart and soul of that team. The circumstances are similar this year and no, we probably won't beat 'bama, but we may scare the life out of them-especially by season's end..

Appfan_in_CAAland
March 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Based on what I have seen with the schedules, here are my projections:

1. Georgia Southern 7-1, 9-2 (same as ASU but I don't see them beating Alabama)
2. Chattanooga 6-2, 8-3 (fair chance of going from 5-3, 5-6 to 8-0, 10-1)
3. Wofford 5-3, 7-4 (fair chance of them going to 8-0, 10-1 but unlikely)
4. Furman 4-4, 6-5
5. Elon 3-5, 5-6
6. The Citadel 2-6, 3-8 (fair chance of them beating Jacksonville)
7. Samford 1-7, 2-9 (Is this Sullivan's last year?)
8. Western Carolina 0-8, 1-9 (Is this Wagner's last year?)

Notes:
- Wofford is projected to have six D1 wins, may not be enough for inclusion in the playoffs.
- Georgia Southern has a better chance of starting off undefeated with their first true test vs. Chattanooga at home with ASU and Wofford on the road.

Fixed it. I don't think App will be eligible for the SoCon championship a few months from now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
You guys are nuts if you think Alabama doesn't stomp you every which way just like they did us. .

Yeah, except for two things:

1) Our 2011 team is going to be light years better than your 2010 team.

2) Bama isn't going to be as good as they were last year with their offense rebuilding.

I suppose it would defend on what your definition of "respectful" is. GSU has played many top FBS teams over the years. The last time we were utterly and thoroughly manhandled the way you guys were at Bama was when our 4-7 team played the 1996 national champion Florida gators.

If you're thinking Bama has the second team in by the beginning of the third quarter, I'll take that bet. I'll also bet they don't win by more than 30.

Smitty
March 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah, except for two things:

1) Our 2011 team is going to be light years better than your 2010 team.

2) Bama isn't going to be as good as they were last year with their offense rebuilding.

I suppose it would defend on what your definition of "respectful" is. GSU has played many top FBS teams over the years. The last time we were utterly and thoroughly manhandled the way you guys were at Bama was when our 4-7 team played the 1996 national champion Florida gators.

If you're thinking Bama has the second team in by the beginning of the third quarter, I'll take that bet. I'll also bet they don't win by more than 30.

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Comparing each team to how they lose?

Alabama will be primed at the end of the season a game before they face Auburn. They will probably throw 35 points on you then run the second and third offense to get their lower players some experience. Finally playing against non experienced players GS will probably score 10 points or something to pull it within your "30" quota.

Tuscon
March 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm learning it's a lost cause to discuss anything with some of these guys. They'll just have to see for themselves.

seantaylor
March 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Comparing each team to how they lose?

Alabama will be primed at the end of the season a game before they face Auburn. They will probably throw 35 points on you then run the second and third offense to get their lower players some experience. Finally playing against non experienced players GS will probably score 10 points or something to pull it within your "30" quota.

Here's a bet to throw some cash on. GSU will beat your sorry azz team by more than Bama beats us(and I'm not conceding a Bama victory).

The Eagle's Cliff
March 5th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Here's a bet to throw some cash on. GSU will beat your sorry azz team by more than Bama beats us(and I'm not conceding a Bama victory).

xnutsxxblahblahxxnutsx

parr90
March 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Bama may well win but it will be much much closer than the Georgia State game. That was pitiful. Talking about a team that shouldnt have even been on the field? And I am an underdog type of person. Georgia Southern will play with Bama for at least 3 quarters and who knows. The Georgia State game was pathetic to say the least.

Smitty
March 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
But you are talking about the #10 team in the country facing a division 2 team. The same team that beat #7 Michigan State 49-7 in the bowl game.

Tuscon
March 5th, 2011, 07:28 PM
But you are talking about the #10 team in the country facing a division 2 team. The same team that beat #7 Michigan State 49-7 in the bowl game.

GS isn't Division II... Beating Michigan State that bad made our game look a lot better I think.

Blueandwhitefightfight
March 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Bama may well win but it will be much much closer than the Georgia State game. That was pitiful. Talking about a team that shouldnt have even been on the field? And I am an underdog type of person. Georgia Southern will play with Bama for at least 3 quarters and who knows. The Georgia State game was pathetic to say the least.

If anyone has any credibility on this board, it's this guy. Parr has 2 National Championship rings and played for Erk.

seantaylor
March 6th, 2011, 02:50 AM

Division 2? D2 is Western Carolina. The worst D1 classification for a school that should be D2. We will beat you guys by 40+ and Bama will not beat us by anywhere near the margin we beat you by. Put some cash on it, homeboy.

seantaylor
March 6th, 2011, 02:51 AM
xnutsxxblahblahxxnutsx

Cliffy, your mom let you out of your basement after Opie punked you in 3D?

The Eagle's Cliff
March 6th, 2011, 06:43 AM

xnutsx xblahblahx xnutsx

Baldy
March 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hilarious, I didn't know Opie had a nuthugger. xlolx

seantaylor
March 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hilarious, I didn't know Opie had a nuthugger. xlolx

Well, thank you Mr. Helper.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/MSXMgpJTyME/0.jpg

App-a-latch-un
March 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Georgia Southern + Georgia State/Appalachian State + Uncc = ruined thread, every time.xbangx

I-16Bandit
March 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Georgia Southern + Georgia State/Appalachian State + Uncc = ruined thread, every time.xbangx

And I'd say that Georgia State is the catalyst.

Tuscon
March 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
And I'd say that Georgia State is the catalyst.

Every single time.

I-16Bandit
March 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Every single time.

Georgia Southern + Georgia State = no good.

Baldy
March 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Well, thank you Mr. Helper.

Anytime, Aunt Bea...

http://services.tvland.com/photogallery/photos/Opie-Aunt-Bea.jpg

xlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
March 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM

You do realize we only lost two guys on D, and are returning our entire starting offense, right?

We also got 4 more weeks of practice than FU at the end of the season.

And we made it to the semi's in the first year of a new system, and will have an entire off season and fall season to practice it even more.

9-2 is my prediction to the season. Loss to Bama, and one more to either App/Wofford or even UTC.

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2011, 11:46 AM
You do realize we only lost two guys on D, and are returning our entire starting offense, right?

We also got 4 more weeks of practice than FU at the end of the season.

And we made it to the semi's in the first year of a new system, and will have an entire off season and fall season to practice it even more.

9-2 is my prediction to the season. Loss to Bama, and one more to either App/Wofford or even UTC.

May be true. 9-2 is just such a hard mark to meet, regardless of how good you are. Even back when GSU and Furman were top 5 teams and the Southern Conference had three teams worth watching, 9-2 was a hard mark to hit.

The Eagles may well get there. They had great momentum going into the playoffs last year. I'm just saying its just tough to get there, particularly now that the SoCon is a lot better than it was five or six years ago.