PDA

View Full Version : Cal St. Long Beach Voting For Football

Sec310
February 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Doesn't look promising, when the AD reaffirms, football isn't even on the burner and "it's very, very, very, very unrealistic."

But, we'll see what happens.

http://www.daily49er.com/news/football-to-be-on-march-ballot-1.2470326

Lehigh Football Nation
February 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Imagine that. The AD and President going against the will of the students and alumni, who actually support the school.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Imagine that. The AD and President going against the will of the students and alumni, who actually support the school.

I imagine if a group of ETSU students pulled that stunt, the AD and President would do the same thing too. :(

49RFootballNow
February 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't be the first time a "49ers" AD and Chancellor said no to football and that it was "back burner" only to have alums, students and major donars tell them its time to change their minds. It can be done.

Sec310
February 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
But if the students vote it down, what does that say about the student support for football?

Big difference to get a referendum on the ballot and then actuall getting students to vote for it.

49RFootballNow
February 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM
But if the students vote it down, what does that say about the student support for football?

Big difference to get a referendum on the ballot and then actuall getting students to vote for it.

If the students vote it down, by more than 60%, then it really is a "back burner" issue. You wait another 5 years to bring it up. If the students are funding it they have to be behind it.

dbackjon
February 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Good luck to them!

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Speculation makes sports enjoyable...

Let's say Long Beach gets football off the ground - where do they go as far as conferences go? The sport offerings on the women's side seem a bit off key too. Is there a bit of women's field hockey and lacrosse in that direction? Seems minimal 'coverage' in that neck of the woods...

dbackjon
February 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Let's say Long Beach gets football off the ground - where do they go as far as conferences go? The sport offerings on the women's side seem a bit off key too. Is there a bit of women's field hockey and lacrosse in that direction? Seems minimal 'coverage' in that neck of the woods...

Field Hockey - NorPac

http://www.norpacfieldhockey.com/

West Division:
Stanford
Pacific
Cal
UC Davis

East Division:
Radford
Longwood
App State
Davidson

Women's Lax:

Mountain Sports:

UC-Davis
Denver
Stanford
California
Oregon
St. Mary's
Fresno

Sec310
February 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Cal St. Long Beach student newspaper story, against football.

http://www.daily49er.com/sports/mcdannald-stop-dreaming-about-football-focus-on-what-you-have-1.2471369

Seawolf97
February 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I would think with the financial situation in California impacting higher education, spending more money is not in the cards. Especially on athletics.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 17th, 2011, 09:26 AM

At this point, not many options. Pretty much, if they want to be FCS, then it would have to be non-scholly in the Pioneer.

If you want scholarships, you almost have to consider FBS and the WAC.Especially since your only other option is FCS as an indy, since there are no other conference options. I guess, unless the southland is hurting for a football-only member to replace Texas St.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Cal St. Long Beach student newspaper story, against football.

http://www.daily49er.com/sports/mcdannald-stop-dreaming-about-football-focus-on-what-you-have-1.2471369

Same old disjointed, ill-researched type of editorial bashing football.

How is an upstart football team — that will have a hard time looking competitive, let alone win — supposed to attract fans? And more importantly, where the hell is a football team going to play without a stadium?

Instead of sucking the athletic department dry of its resources, how about shifting the support — and more importantly, money — to a men's basketball program with legitimate NCAA Tournament hopes; or a Big West Conference champion women's soccer team in need of a real stadium with lights instead of that glorified patch of grass called George Allen Field; or a women's volleyball program that has accounted for three of the school's four national championships.

I think you get the idea; there is plenty of potential with the teams already in place. A football team would only hog the athletic department budget, and most schools with football programs do not generate a net gain.

According to a USA Today database, Florida — the 2008-09 BCS champion — spent $102 million on athletics that year while generating just $96.8 million in revenue. I'm not a math major, but that's a $5.2 million loss for the school with the top football program that season, right?

Actually, they do have a football stadium - Veterans Memorial Stadium in Long Beach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Memorial_Stadium_(Long_Beach)), where they played before disbanding the program last time. It would certainly do the job again at the FCS level.

As we all know here, what Florida does has absolutely no bearing on the FCS world aside from the fact that Furman is getting a check from them to play there in 2011.

And - hey, good luck getting 10,000 fans for that women's soccer championship team.

It's a classic case of fudging the issue by citing examples that have nothing to do with FCS football.

Sec310
February 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Veterans Stadium is not owned by Cal St. Long Beach. So it may not be that easy to rent out Veterans.

doolittledog
February 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
How far is Long Beach St from the Home Depot Center located on the CS - Dominguez Hills campus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Home_Depot_Center

It seats 27K

I know California lost a ton of schools with football programs stating it was too expensive to run. But if they all banded together into 1 conference now, they would never almost never have to leave the state to play games. You could limit their recruiting to Cali, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon.
Long Beach St.
Cal Poly-Pomona
CS-Fullerton

add them in with
Cal Poly-SLO
Sacramento St
U of San Diego

Henderson St from D2

Talk some schools that have never had football...
CS-Dominguez Hills
San Diego

Force state schools like San Jose State, Fresno St. and others to schedule non-con games against them.

I know, I know, it will never happen. But that could be done and for not a ton of money that would bankrupt some schools.

dbackjon
February 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
How far is Long Beach St from the Home Depot Center located on the CS - Dominguez Hills campus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Home_Depot_Center

It seats 27K

I know California lost a ton of schools with football programs stating it was too expensive to run. But if they all banded together into 1 conference now, they would never almost never have to leave the state to play games. You could limit their recruiting to Cali, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon.
Long Beach St.
Cal Poly-Pomona
CS-Fullerton

add them in with
Cal Poly-SLO
Sacramento St
U of San Diego

Henderson St from D2

Talk some schools that have never had football...
CS-Dominguez Hills
San Diego

Force state schools like San Jose State, Fresno St. and others to schedule non-con games against them.

I know, I know, it will never happen. But that could be done and for not a ton of money that would bankrupt some schools.

You thinking of Humboldt State?

doolittledog
February 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, Humboldt St. Unless they are too busy growing medicinal herbs up there to care about a jump from D2 to FCSxlolx

Sec310
February 17th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Home Depot Center would be a good option for Cal St. Long Beach, if they get this referendum passed. It maybe 15-20 mins, north of Long Beach.

You can add UC Irvine to the schools that never had football.

UC San Diego- there are three schools with San Diego in their name. USD-private Catholic school. San Diego St- part of the Cal State system. UC San Diego, part of the University of CA. system.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
February 18th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Let's say Long Beach St. and Fullerton both bring football back. This could become a catalyst for schools such as Riverside, Northridge (a former Big Sky member before leaving) and Pacific to bring it back with them bringing it back as well. That would give the Big West seven schools that sponsor football (to go with UC-Davis and Cal Poly who already have it). Throw in Sacramento State (from Big Sky) and San Diego (from Pioneer) and you would have a one-state football conference with nine teams.

DFW HOYA
February 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
The problem with votes like these is that they are set up to fail. Most commuter students wouldn't even vote to have an athletics program if it meant raising their fees.

It's up to the school to make this a priority, and the tuition (and fundraising) will cover it, not another ancillary fee.

Sec310
February 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The problem with votes like these is that they are set up to fail. Most commuter students wouldn't even vote to have an athletics program if it meant raising their fees.

It's up to the school to make this a priority, and the tuition (and fundraising) will cover it, not another ancillary fee.

What gets me is that alums are really the ones who want football back. But, they want students to pay for it. Why don't alums pay to bring back football?

Sec310
February 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Let's say Long Beach St. and Fullerton both bring football back. This could become a catalyst for schools such as Riverside, Northridge (a former Big Sky member before leaving) and Pacific to bring it back with them bringing it back as well. That would give the Big West seven schools that sponsor football (to go with UC-Davis and Cal Poly who already have it). Throw in Sacramento State (from Big Sky) and San Diego (from Pioneer) and you would have a one-state football conference with nine teams.

It has been 15-20 years since Fullerton, Long Beach and Pacific dropped football and this is the first time, I can recall, that bringing back football at any of these schools, has come up for a vote.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 19th, 2011, 09:03 AM
It has been 15-20 years since Fullerton, Long Beach and Pacific dropped football and this is the first time, I can recall, that bringing back football at any of these schools, has come up for a vote.

Fullerton has been pretty active in trying to revive their football program. I think Pacific has been as well. And I could see a Big West Football Conference possibly forming in football. You would think Cal Poly and UC Davis would really welcome the cost savings, for starters.

Sec310
February 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Fullerton has been pretty active in trying to revive their football program. I think Pacific has been as well. And I could see a Big West Football Conference possibly forming in football. You would think Cal Poly and UC Davis would really welcome the cost savings, for starters.

Define "pretty active" Is pretty active alums talking about bringing back football? That's almost meaningless. Real, tangiable efforts to bring back football includes; raising money, getting students to approve a vote, getting Pres and AD to approve a vote.

Fullerton can't even get a football referendum on the ballot.

cpalum
February 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
It would be great to see any of these schools add football but I think it is actually a little comical that people think this has any real chance of happening. Anbody who has been paying attention knows how difficult fielding an FCS program in the west has been for the likes of Cal Poly...Davis etc. Without a home conference who would they play? Take a look at Poly and Davis' football schedule this year, they have to schedule 5- 6 games out of conference just to make it work. Thankfully both of those teams will be joining the BSC next year and the scheduling problems will no longer be an issue.

Dont get me wrong it would be great to see LBSU, UCSB, Fulerton etc bring football back but that is a massive mountain to climb.

techstate
February 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Also its pretty crazy to think that Cal Poly or UC Davis would leave the BSC for what would seem like a start up conference to fail. Yeah sure they might schedule a game against them but for poly and davis to work hard to get out of this slum that is the great west football conference to just jump into another one is ridiculous.

And I would say none of these schools end up having a football team anytime soon.

cpalum
February 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Also its pretty crazy to think that Cal Poly or UC Davis would leave the BSC for what would seem like a start up conference to fail..

exactly

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Also its pretty crazy to think that Cal Poly or UC Davis would leave the BSC for what would seem like a start up conference to fail. Yeah sure they might schedule a game against them but for poly and davis to work hard to get out of this slum that is the great west football conference to just jump into another one is ridiculous.

Do you seriously think that Cal Poly and UC Davis would prefer being in the Big Sky conference as affiliates, guaranteeing four flights a year, to a football conference in which it's a member in all other sports and the promise of one flight a year?

You may think the Big West is a slum, but obviously your ADs don't think so, since you're in there for all other sports. And who do you think is going to go to bat for you in those FCS meetings more - UC-Riverside's AD, or, say, Idaho State's AD?

There is great value to being an all-sports member in a conference that sponsors football. With the landscape the way it is now, Poly and Davis are better served with Big Sky membership, but if the Big West wants to sponsor football, Poly and Davis have a much, much better deal in the Big West.

And if that conference has an autobid, there's no additional benefit to being in the Big Sky at all.

cpalum
February 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Do you seriously think that Cal Poly and UC Davis would prefer being in the Big Sky conference as affiliates, guaranteeing four flights a year, to a football conference in which it's a member in all other sports and the promise of one flight a year?

You may think the Big West is a slum, but obviously your ADs don't think so, since you're in there for all other sports. And who do you think is going to go to bat for you in those FCS meetings more - UC-Riverside's AD, or, say, Idaho State's AD?

There is great value to being an all-sports member in a conference that sponsors football. With the landscape the way it is now, Poly and Davis are better served with Big Sky membership, but if the Big West wants to sponsor football, Poly and Davis have a much, much better deal in the Big West.

And if that conference has an autobid, there's no additional benefit to being in the Big Sky at all.

I cant speak for techstate but I did not read anywhere that anybody thought the Big West was a "slum" The Big West is a great conference and actually very fun to watch...If there was a choice to make here between playing football in the Big West or Big Sky and those two options were in any way equal I'm sure Cal Poly would Play in the Big West. That is not close to the situation or the discussion.

The Big West does not sponsor football and in order for it to even be considered several programs would have to add football. Personally, I doubt highly (really really highly) that even one of the schools mentioned would be willing or able.

So yes if there were 7+ schools that were going to play football in the Big West I'm sure Cal Poly and/or Davis would consider joining. That aint happening...

Sec310
February 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Cal St. Long Beach is raising student fees, $95 per semester. $2.38 million will go towards athletics. None to football.

This new fee kills any chance of that football fee being passed by students.

http://www.daily49er.com/sports/athletics-to-receive-additional-2-38m-annually-1.2479858

Jimmer
February 26th, 2011, 11:52 PM
If football is so outrageously expensive, how come every juco in Cali plays football. We are talking D1AA not the Pac10. I don't belive it is impossible, just going to take time and repeated efforts.

Jimmer
February 27th, 2011, 12:06 AM
exactly

A couple of thoughts.

If Sac St. can compete in FCS so can LB and Fullerton.
The WAC may never happen for Poly, so a Cal League + maybe Portland St. and NAU would be greatly preferrable to being in a conference with Idaho St. and South Dakota St.
If the Big West formed a D1AA football league then Poly would either join it or play all sports in the Big Sky.

Obviously, this is not going to happen any time soon, but to dismiss it out of hand is obnoxious and not very analytical.

Sec310
February 27th, 2011, 02:14 AM
If football is so outrageously expensive, how come every juco in Cali plays football. We are talking D1AA not the Pac10. I don't belive it is impossible, just going to take time and repeated efforts.

JC's, at least in CA, do not offer scholarships, that's a huge difference.

Jimmer
February 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM

CSU tuitions are still ridiculously inexpensive. That is not a huge obstacle.
Anyone who disagrees with that should see what tuitions are in most other states.

Sec310
February 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
CSU tuitions are still ridiculously inexpensive. That is not a huge obstacle.
Anyone who disagrees with that should see what tuitions are in most other states.

It will cost about $5,000 per semester for a CA resident to attend a CSU, next fall.

Uncle Buck
March 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM

As it was pointed out after the death sentence that Hofstra received almost 15 months ago, the scholarship is really just paper money and not directly out of the pocket of the university for the most part. While yes football is still expensive, it's by no means unsustainable at the lower levels.

SF State Gaters
March 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Bringing it to a vote in the first place is a huge, huge first step, an effort which has not been made at any number of other institutions including my own alma mater, SFSU. In fact, when I was attending SF State there was a vote to disband the entire athletic program... a vote which did not pass.

I commend Long Beach State students for their efforts to bring this proposal to a ballot and encourage all current students to lend their support to this measure! While I am afraid that the likelihood of passage is low, it should be met with support and encouragement from all sports fans who recognize that a commuter school within the CSU system lacks the college experience for precisely these and other systemic reasons, and a FCS football program in the LA/OC area would be an exciting development for all fans of the sport.

Go 49er's!

Jimmer
March 2nd, 2011, 01:25 AM
It will cost about $5,000 per semester for a CA resident to attend a CSU, next fall.

http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollment/registration/paying_your_fees.html

LBSU tuition spring 2011 $2,500 per semester
Dirt cheap for a first class education.
And I don't believe they are having a 100% tuition increase next year.

Jimmer
March 2nd, 2011, 01:36 AM
For example SUNY Binghamton is twice that. CSU tuition is very inexpensive comparitively to almost any other state.

Also, Cal Poly's athletic budget is comparable to CSULB, money is not the reason Long Beach is not playing football. CP shows a profit on athletics as well, Long Beach a loss.

cpalum
March 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
A couple of thoughts.

If Sac St. can compete in FCS so can LB and Fullerton.
The WAC may never happen for Poly, so a Cal League + maybe Portland St. and NAU would be greatly preferrable to being in a conference with Idaho St. and South Dakota St.
If the Big West formed a D1AA football league then Poly would either join it or play all sports in the Big Sky.

Obviously, this is not going to happen any time soon, but to dismiss it out of hand is obnoxious and not very analytical.

mmmmm not sure what you are saying here but let me reiterate.

It would be great to see LBSU, CSUF, UCSB or other California schools add FCS level football. It would be fantastic...good for FCS.

I never made any comment about the WAC happening for Cal Poly so I have no idea what that comment is all about.....BTW South Dakota State does not play in the Big Sky

If the Big West had football I am certain that Poly and others (Davis?) would consider joining.

The point I was trying to make (and maybe I failed) was that for any one of the Big West Schools to add football would be a huge challenge. Adding FCS football would require additional staffing, additional scholarships, (not to mention possible facilities upgrades) for any of the current BWC schools. This costs money and not just a little. We are talking about millions. California public universities are facing budget cuts currently estimated at over a billion dollars. Even if private funds (donor/sponsorship)are identified....it looks very bad politically to close the Liberal Arts Department, fire faculty and staff all while you add a new football program.

In order for other western FCS schools to consider joining this hypothetical Big West football conference and leaving a relatively stable Big Sky, you would need to see not one school add football.... not two.... or even three but at least 4 or more schools add football. That is not an obnoxious comment nor is is dismissive, it is simply reality. Schools like Davis and Poly who have struggled year after year to keep a FCS program viable would not jeopardize the program by leaving the stability of the Big Sky to join a unstable conference with less than a full compliment of teams to schedule. Poly has literally lobbied for 10 years to get membership in a more stable conference with an autobid.

In fact I would assume that if a school like UCSB or LBSU did add FCS football they would try to play in the Big Sky....you simply cant schedule enough games otherwise.

but if the moons align and 4-6 Big West schools add football all around the same time, I for one would be happy to see Cal Poly join.

Sec310
March 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollment/registration/paying_your_fees.html

LBSU tuition spring 2011 $2,500 per semester
Dirt cheap for a first class education.
And I don't believe they are having a 100% tuition increase next year.

Each CSU has different fees. There is the CSU fee, that is standard at every CSU. Then each school has their own fees. Long Beach has the lowest, by far student fees. That's the reason why Long Beach's president implemented the new fees.

So it is more expensive to go to Cal Poly or Fullerton than it is to go to Long Beach.

bringback49erfootball
March 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM

(http://bringback49erfootball.blogspot.com/2011/02/lbsu-athletic-director-vic-cegles.html)

Check this out, the CSULB AD rather spend $20 million on an off campus venue rather then get a 10,000 seat on campus stadium for about $15 million smells kind of funny, and really comes across as a bad move for the athletic department in general.

Alumni are almost non existent in most cases @ colleges w/o football. Invest in an on campus stadium and start helping build relations with alumni CSU Long Beach is premiere CSU in the state. One of the biggest issues is a lack of campus unity and spirit. Many students live off campus and would love to see a football team come back.

The administration is the problem, students want football!

bringback49erfootball
March 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I would think with the financial situation in California impacting higher education, spending more money is not in the cards. Especially on athletics.

Long Beach i located between LA County and OC County some of the most populated and well to do counties in the country. There is not pro football team in either county and CSULB has emerged as the jewel of the CSU system aside from a few issues one of them being not having a football team.

Having football would allow students to connect more with the University leading to more alumni donations and better quality education for people that come to the University after us.

There is so much pride in the City of Long Beach, not to mention D1 college athletes and pros coming out of local high schools within city limits and not more then a 15min drive in places outside of the city that would love to come play ball at Long Beach State.

Jimmer
March 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Each CSU has different fees. There is the CSU fee, that is standard at every CSU. Then each school has their own fees. Long Beach has the lowest, by far student fees. That's the reason why Long Beach's president implemented the new fees.

So it is more expensive to go to Cal Poly or Fullerton than it is to go to Long Beach.

If CP has higher fees it isn't because their athletic budget is higher. They are the same.

Jimmer
March 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM

The 2,500 includes the fees. You really can't bring yourself to admit that is an unbelivable bargain?

Jimmer
March 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM
mmmmm not sure what you are saying here but let me reiterate.

It would be great to see LBSU, CSUF, UCSB or other California schools add FCS level football. It would be fantastic...good for FCS.

I never made any comment about the WAC happening for Cal Poly so I have no idea what that comment is all about.....BTW South Dakota State does not play in the Big Sky

If the Big West had football I am certain that Poly and others (Davis?) would consider joining.

The point I was trying to make (and maybe I failed) was that for any one of the Big West Schools to add football would be a huge challenge. Adding FCS football would require additional staffing, additional scholarships, (not to mention possible facilities upgrades) for any of the current BWC schools. This costs money and not just a little. We are talking about millions. California public universities are facing budget cuts currently estimated at over a billion dollars. Even if private funds (donor/sponsorship)are identified....it looks very bad politically to close the Liberal Arts Department, fire faculty and staff all while you add a new football program.

In order for other western FCS schools to consider joining this hypothetical Big West football conference and leaving a relatively stable Big Sky, you would need to see not one school add football.... not two.... or even three but at least 4 or more schools add football. That is not an obnoxious comment nor is is dismissive, it is simply reality. Schools like Davis and Poly who have struggled year after year to keep a FCS program viable would not jeopardize the program by leaving the stability of the Big Sky to join a unstable conference with less than a full compliment of teams to schedule. Poly has literally lobbied for 10 years to get membership in a more stable conference with an autobid.

In fact I would assume that if a school like UCSB or LBSU did add FCS football they would try to play in the Big Sky....you simply cant schedule enough games otherwise.

but if the moons align and 4-6 Big West schools add football all around the same time, I for one would be happy to see Cal Poly join.

I think it takes two. It takes Fullerton and Long Beach, because then other things would fall into place. And I don't think it is going to happen soon.

I hate the money argument. Most schools in the Big West have access to better stadiums than Cal Poly did when it moved up. Even CSUN has an FCS servicable stadium. And Long Beach is already spending as much on sports as Cal Poly, they are just spending it in different places. I don't think it is about money, I think it is about politics.

I apologize for calling your previous post obnoxious, that was not true, and I shouldn't have said that.

cpalum
March 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think it takes two. It takes Fullerton and Long Beach, because then other things would fall into place. And I don't think it is going to happen soon.

I hate the money argument. Most schools in the Big West have access to better stadiums than Cal Poly did when it moved up. Even CSUN has an FCS servicable stadium. And Long Beach is already spending as much on sports as Cal Poly, they are just spending it in different places. I don't think it is about money, I think it is about politics.

I apologize for calling your previous post obnoxious, that was not true, and I shouldn't have said that.

Hey Jimmer you don't have to apologize it is a discussion board...completely fine with me....it was a fair post just felt the need to respond.

The money argument is valid and facilities are not the big issue it is staffing and scholarships. We agree..the politics is the biggest hurdle. Keep in mind the Cal Poly example is really not analogous. Cal Poly "moved" from DII to FCS. These schools are talking about adding FCS from no team at all.

We disagree about the amount of schools that would need to add football for other western FCS schools to join but rather than reiterate why I think you would have to see 4 or more, I would be interested to read under what circumstances 2 teams could add football and see schools like Davis Poly etc join?

Jimmer
March 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Jimmer you don't have to apologize it is a discussion board...completely fine with me....it was a fair post just felt the need to respond.

The money argument is valid and facilities are not the big issue it is staffing and scholarships. We agree..the politics is the biggest hurdle. Keep in mind the Cal Poly example is really not analogous. Cal Poly "moved" from DII to FCS. These schools are talking about adding FCS from no team at all.

We disagree about the amount of schools that would need to add football for other western FCS schools to join but rather than reiterate why I think you would have to see 4 or more, I would be interested to read under what circumstances 2 teams could add football and see schools like Davis Poly etc join?

I don't have time to dig up the link right now, but LB has a slightly higher athletic budget than Cal Poly.

Houndawg
March 7th, 2011, 06:25 PM
High school teammate of mine played for LB. Drafted by, and earned two Super Bowl rings with, SF

bringback49erfootball
March 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
High school teammate of mine played for LB. Drafted by, and earned two Super Bowl rings with, SF

Imagine how many more players teh Beach could get to the NFL if football was brought back now!

bojeta
March 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM

This is true. Cal Poly moved up to DI FCS with an antiquated stadium that seated approximately 6,000 (I don't have the exact number handy). They made the move, developed the program successfully and then partially renovated. Capacity now 11,075 with plans for additional improvements/expansion to more than 24,000 and possibly more than 30,000 depending on the final plan that gets approved. Many FCS teams continue to operate with stadiums that hold fewer than 7,000.

Sec310
March 20th, 2011, 06:41 PM
So voting starts for Long Beach, tomorrow. If students vote it down, when will football come back at Long Beach?

bojeta
March 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM

The obvious immediate place to look is the Big Sky Conference. Touting the defending FCS national champs.... 7 national titles and 9 runner ups since 1980, this is the place to be. At least until the remainder of the Big West revives their programs. LBSU has a long history of playing Cal Poly, UC Davis and Sac State already. I believe they even have a bit of history with Northern AZ and Northern CO, maybe Portland State too. LBSU would make it 14 teams, evening out north and south divisions of the conference.

Sec310
March 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
So much misinformation in this thread.

CSUN did not have a servicable stadium, that's why they were forced out of the Big Sky. They were going to move to a JC stadium, if they had any money to keep football.

Name the FCS schools with less than 7,000 seat stadiums.

DFW HOYA
March 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM

Here you go:

Georgetown 2,400 (construction halted 2005, temporary seats only)
Robert Morris 3,000
Wagner 3,300
St. Francis PA 3,450
Central Connecticut 3,500
Charleston Southern 4,000
Sacred Heart Pioneers 4,000
Monmouth Hawks 4,000
Bryant 4,400
Duquesne 4,500
Campbell 5,000
Valparaiso 5,000
Jacksonville 5,000
Marist 5,000
Rhode Island 5,180 (downsized from 7,000)
Texas Southern 5,500
Butler 5,500 (downsized from 28,000)
Prairie View A&M 6,000
Davidson 6,000
San Diego 6,000
Coastal Carolina 6,408
Presbyterian 6,500
Samford 6,700

bojeta
March 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
So much misinformation in this thread.

CSUN did not have a servicable stadium, that's why they were forced out of the Big Sky. They were going to move to a JC stadium, if they had any money to keep football.

Yes, thank you DFW HOYA! I definitely try my hardest not to post info without first doing my research. In the matter of stadium seating, I had researched it a couple of years ago and knew there were plenty under 7,000. I certainly NEVER intentionally post "misinformation". Can't claim perfection, but I am definitely not a liar. In regards to LBSU, they have a strong position in terms of sharing the stadium they previously used with the JC. Current capacity 10,000 with talk of expansion by the JC and community.

Jimmer
March 22nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
Any word on the vote yet?

Sec310
March 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
It failed. http://www.daily49er.com/news/nguyen-thomas-quibuyen-win-asi-elections-football-referendum-fails-1.2522436

bojeta
March 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I definitely choose to look on the bright side of this. The "Bring Back LBSU Football" initiative managed to get nearly half of all votes cast, falling short by a mere 60 votes. In light of all the extremely negative press and the very real economic concerns, I feel this bodes well for the next effort. Current economic trends give reason for hope and the groundwork has been laid. I congratulate Jason Aula for an outstanding effort that may well lead to a program in the coming years.

Jimmer
March 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I definitely choose to look on the bright side of this. The "Bring Back LBSU Football" initiative managed to get nearly half of all votes cast, falling short by a mere 60 votes. In light of all the extremely negative press and the very real economic concerns, I feel this bodes well for the next effort. Current economic trends give reason for hope and the groundwork has been laid. I congratulate Jason Aula for an outstanding effort that may well lead to a program in the coming years.

EXACTLY. THIS IS SHOCKING.

No one expected it to be this close. Now you know you are going to get votes at UCSB and Fullerton, and another vote at Long Beach. Somebody is going to bring football back. After this vote I don't have any doubt about that.

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM
EXACTLY. THIS IS SHOCKING.

No one expected it to be this close. Now you know you are going to get votes at UCSB and Fullerton, and another vote at Long Beach. Somebody is going to bring football back. After this vote I don't have any doubt about that.

The real issue is that commuter students at state institutions won't vote for any fee increase. A lot of LBSU students wouldn't add $100 to their tuition bills if the school was invited to the Pac-12. Some wouldn't even add a fee for a new library.

If there was a different funding solution on the table (including alumni gifts and corporate support), this might have passed.

Jimmer
March 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
The real issue is that commuter students at state institutions won't vote for any fee increase. A lot of LBSU students wouldn't add $100 to their tuition bills if the school was invited to the Pac-12. Some wouldn't even add a fee for a new library.

If there was a different funding solution on the table (including alumni gifts and corporate support), this might have passed.

I hear you, but even with that, they only came up 128 votes short.

Jimmer
March 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM

The people who say you can't bring football back at CA schools remind of the people I remember saying "houses will never go down in value". They kept saying it, as if saying it enough times would make it true. It is absurd to say it is impossible to play football at LB or Fullerton or UCSB if they play football at Cal Poly, Sac St. and UC Davis. The recent vote at Long Beach proved it can be done. SEC310, be honest, did you expect it to be anywhere near that close? I doubt it.

If students are willing to vote for fee increases, one of these days, administrators are going to jump on board. Lord knows those money whores will support anything that brings in revenue. Fullerton and CSUN will have referendums soon I suspect. We will see what happens.

Hate to break it to those of you that say it is impossible, but the world is not flat. Bojeta and I will be there to remind you we told you so when one of these referendums passes.

Sec310
March 28th, 2011, 12:32 AM
The people who say you can't bring football back at CA schools remind of the people I remember saying "houses will never go down in value". They kept saying it, as if saying it enough times would make it true. It is absurd to say it is impossible to play football at LB or Fullerton or UCSB if they play football at Cal Poly, Sac St. and UC Davis. The recent vote at Long Beach proved it can be done. SEC310, be honest, did you expect it to be anywhere near that close? I doubt it.

If students are willing to vote for fee increases, one of these days, administrators are going to jump on board. Lord knows those money whores will support anything that brings in revenue. Fullerton and CSUN will have referendums soon I suspect. We will see what happens.

Hate to break it to those of you that say it is impossible, but the world is not flat. Bojeta and I will be there to remind you we told you so when one of these referendums passes.

That's a myth. The vote would NOT have increased fees, it was an advisory vote. Meaning if passed, the Long Beach president, should take a look at bringing football back.

So, even this advisory vote, which wouldn't raise fees, didn't pass.

The only way for football to come back is students to fund it. Sure it's possible for a student body to pass a fee referendum but in the 15-20 years since most Big West schools dropped football, this was the first vote of any kind, shows the lack of interest.

bojeta
March 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM
That's a myth. The vote would NOT have increased fees, it was an advisory vote. Meaning if passed, the Long Beach president, should take a look at bringing football back.

So, even this advisory vote, which wouldn't raise fees, didn't pass.

The only way for football to come back is students to fund it. Sure it's possible for a student body to pass a fee referendum but in the 15-20 years since most Big West schools dropped football, this was the first vote of any kind, shows the lack of interest.

Wasn't the "advisory" to increase student fees by the prescribed schedule? And didn't Mr. Aula go to great lengths to explain, publish and include the wording regarding those fees on the ballot measure? Yes, the vote was advisory to the President, but it represented the student's willingness to accept the fee increases. Votes on college campuses are always advisory. The ultimate decision lies with the President appointed by the Trustees.

Jimmer
March 30th, 2011, 01:31 AM
If there were a referendum to raise fees for soccer it would have got about 50 votes.