PDA

View Full Version : Texas State - 12 game schedule?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
xconfusedx

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2011/1/28/FB_0128110852.aspx

The Texas State Athletics Department announced Saturday that its 2011 football schedule is complete and includes six home games, two contests against NCAA FBS Schools and eight games against SLC teams. Bobcat fans can purchase their season tickets beginning Feb. 1.

“We are very excited that we have finalized our 2011 football schedule,” said Texas State athletic director Larry Teis. “Since our announcement to join the Western Athletic Conference in 2012, we have spent a great deal of time working on our future FBS schedules. Our 2011 schedule would have been completed earlier, but there were several dates we needed to leave open in case they were necessary for negotiations involving any of our future FBS scheduling.

“It was important for us to try to play six home games this season, and fortunately we have been able to do that without compromising our ability to finish our 2012 schedule. We are extremely close to being able to announce our 2012 FBS home schedule, and we fully expect to host six home games then as well. I would encourage everyone to get their 2011 season tickets now to ensure they have an opportunity to purchase seats for our initial season at the FBS level.”

2011 Texas State Football Schedule
Sept. 3 at Texas Tech
Sept. 10 at Wyoming
Sept. 17 Tarleton State
Sept. 24 at Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 1 Nicholls
Oct. 8 at McNeese State
Oct. 15 Lamar
Oct. 22 at Southeastern Louisiana
Oct. 29 Northwestern State
Nov. 5 Prairie View A&M
Nov. 12 at Central Arkansas
Nov. 19 Sam Houston State

xconfusedx

Is this allowed at the FCS level?

LouiseBFree
February 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Texas State will begin transitioning to FBS/WAC membership in 2011 (adding scholarships, not eligible for NCAA playoffs, etc.), thus is allowed to do this.

xconfusedx

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2011/1/28/FB_0128110852.aspx

2011 Texas State Football Schedule
Sept. 3 at Texas Tech
Sept. 10 at Wyoming
Sept. 17 Tarleton State
Sept. 24 at Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 1 Nicholls
Oct. 8 at McNeese State
Oct. 15 Lamar
Oct. 22 at Southeastern Louisiana
Oct. 29 Northwestern State
Nov. 5 Prairie View A&M
Nov. 12 at Central Arkansas
Nov. 19 Sam Houston State

xconfusedx

Is this allowed at the FCS level?

MplsBison
February 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Texas State will begin transitioning to FBS/WAC membership in 2011 (adding scholarships, not eligible for NCAA playoffs, etc.), thus is allowed to do this.

I take it they're not eligible for the Southland title in 2011.

What will their scholarship level be for 2011 and 2012?

GeauxLions94
February 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I take it they're not eligible for the Southland title in 2011.

What will their scholarship level be for 2011 and 2012?

No, not eligible for Southland title (or playoffs) in 2011. Texas State will have 74 schollies in 2011, 85 in '12.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
No, not eligible for Southland title (or playoffs) in 2011. Texas State will have 74 schollies in 2011, 85 in '12.

Are they adding 23 scholarships for female athletes?

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Are they adding 23 scholarships for female athletes?

Their AD said they would not be adding sports...

I am under the impression that they were not fully funding their sports, particularly women's track and field, cross country and no telling what else... personally would love to see our friends in San Marcos add bowling - so we can form a bowling conference with TXST, SFA, SHSU, La Tech, Tulane and Arkansas State. :)

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
This still confuses me. They are members of the Southland Conference, an FCS conference. However, they 1) are operating with more than the FCS maximum of scholarships, and 2) have a schedule with more than the maximum number of FCS games per year.

Shouldn't they be classified as an FBS independent? Haven't they crossed some sort of line - by a lot? More importantly, shouldn't they be booted from Southland football in 2011 over this? As comprised, they are not an FCS team.

Redhawk2010
February 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM
It sounds to me like they are operating essentially as an FBS independent, but I think it makes sense to go ahead and play the 8 Southland Conference games that have already been scheduled. It makes things simpler for all schools involved. I would imagine it would be extremely difficult for TxST to schedule those 8 games with FBS schools and also difficult for the other schools to schedule new teams in the middle of the conference season..

They are ineligible for the playoffs and for bowl games in 2011. Also they cannot win the Southland Conference Championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Definitely, I understand that wrecking the schedules is not worth it. But I do question having Texas State considered Southland conference games, which it appears is the case on the various SLC team websites out there.

Basically, I'm trying to find out if these games should be considered FCS vs. FCS games, non-conference; FCS vs. FCS games, conference; or FCS vs FBS games.

nwFL Griz
February 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Definitely, I understand that wrecking the schedules is not worth it. But I do question having Texas State considered Southland conference games, which it appears is the case on the various SLC team websites out there.

Basically, I'm trying to find out if these games should be considered FCS vs. FCS games, non-conference; FCS vs. FCS games, conference; or FCS vs FBS games.

They are not considered conference games. Texas St is essentially an FCS independent, transitioning to FBS. I would say they would be considered FCS vs. FCS, non-conference.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
This still confuses me. They are members of the Southland Conference, an FCS conference. However, they 1) are operating with more than the FCS maximum of scholarships, and 2) have a schedule with more than the maximum number of FCS games per year.

Shouldn't they be classified as an FBS independent? Haven't they crossed some sort of line - by a lot? More importantly, shouldn't they be booted from Southland football in 2011 over this? As comprised, they are not an FCS team.

I think they are essentially helping both parties out...

TXST bailed too late for the SLC to readjust the schedules for next year while the SLC schools really would of been in a bind for 2011. You got to remember that most SLC schools are having a great deal of difficulty in scheduling OOC in light of the SWAC's mandate and several SLC schools needing two money games. You would have seen two of the La. schools likely add a FBS game if the opportunity presented itself.

And to back others up - NON-conference games. Several of the schools have gone out of their way to acknowledge that.