PDA

View Full Version : SFA Holds First Scrimmage - QB Battle Commences

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I'm itching for football! With SFA, I'm interested to see how the battle at QB comes out. I was impressed with Danny Southall when I saw him play, but he's got some competition right behind him. SFA, I don't think would mind that at all...

From the article below, here's a bit about what happened between the two QBs, Southall and the redshirt freshman Clint Bricker.

"Sophomore quarterback Danny Southall completed 17-of-29 (.580) passes for 169 yards and one touchdown. He also led the offense to two other scores. Southall carried the ball twice for 14 yards. Redshirt freshman Clint Bricker was 11-for-15 (.733) for 56 yards and one touchdown. Bricker finished the game completing eight of his last 10 passes."

----------
`Jacks Hold First Spring Scrimmage

SFA football team took part in a 100-play scrimmage Sunday afternoon

Feb. 26, 2006

NACOGDOCHES - The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack football team held its first of three spring scrimmages Sunday afternoon at Homer Bryce Stadium. The scrimmage pitted the No. 1 offense versus the No. 1 defense and the No. 2 offense against the No. 2 defense.

"We accomplished what we wanted to accomplish this afternoon. We wanted to get in 100 plays and we finished with 101," said SFA head coach Robert McFarland. "We had some good and bad on both sides of the ball. We ran a very base defense this afternoon just throwing a couple of fronts and a couple coverages at the offense. We didn't run any of our blitz packages today. The offensive line has struggled at times, but I have been very pleased with their progression. I'm also very pleased with our skill players. The good thing is we still have 10 practices left, and right now we're looking to get better with each of them."

http://sfajacks.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022606aaa.html

blackfordpu
February 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Its only February and they already had a full team scrimmage? Getting started really early this season.

youwouldno
February 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Rob rated Bricker #2 I believe in last year's QB rankings. It will be interesting to see how he does.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Rob rated Bricker #2 I believe in last year's QB rankings. It will be interesting to see how he does.

I think Bricker could unseat Southall. May not be from the start, but he can do it eventually...

Panther88
February 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
They had former Denton Ryan High (2 time all-state) QB (tcu txfer) James Battle (even has a "hardcore" football name lol) on the roster last fall but I didn't note him for the current spr semester. Wonder what happened.

I told him really good that he was going to get screwed and lo' and behold... Panther88 still remains prophetic. :( Shameful. He needs to hang up his cleats. :(

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Oy, do we have to go back to Battle? I think it was a waste of roster space. They had much more talent in place than Battle...

Did you try to get him into PVA&M?

Sly Fox
February 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I'm curious to see how Southall fares. I covered him in high school in both football & hoops. He's a great athlete but he never really had to depend on his arm much at Hitchcock.

By the way, I think Bug is going to be one of your great ones before he finishes at SFA.

Panther88
February 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Oy, do we have to go back to Battle? I think it was a waste of roster space. They had much more talent in place than Battle...

Did you try to get him into PVA&M?

I know his family fairly decently well. I TALKED to him his jr and sr year. He deserved his all-state status because of his thinking ability, mobility, and leadership characteristics. Doesn't hurt that you have 2 4.2 speedy wideouts that'll go up and catch anything that you heave. lol

James has fallen off. Gotten "fatter" the last time I saw him. Grew a few inches as well.

PVAM or any other I-AA school wasn't on the radar for him. KState and methinks Nebraska offered. But this fool chose sorry-arse tcu. Told him good that that fella' that hurt his knee his crab or soph year was their "golden child" whenever he became healthy and he'd get screwed in the process. Lo and behold... prophetic Panther88 is still perfect w/ regards to treatment of athletic-students (not student-athletes) on the "big" campuses. lol A-mazing.