PDA

View Full Version : Possible Future FCS School?

Sec310
February 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
UC San Diego has hired a firm to study the possibility of adding football and moving to D1. This findings of this study is suppose to be release in early 2011.

UC San Diego, is not USD, which is a private school. UC San Diego is currently a D2 school that offers no athletic scholarships and has no football team. But, they win the D2 Sears Cup almost every year.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/23/ucsd-looks-at-football-and-division-i-upgrade/

aztecjim
February 9th, 2011, 04:10 AM
As messed up as the state of California, U of Cal, and Cal State systems are financially I am surprised any school is considering adding sports. Especially a high cost sport like football.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Which Div I league would they get into at this point? They would likely have to find a way into the Big Sky, which may see some changes in the next few years (or according to WAC sources - likely not).

Franks Tanks
February 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM
UC San Diego has hired a firm to study the possibility of adding football and moving to D1. This findings of this study is suppose to be release in early 2011.

UC San Diego, is not USD, which is a private school. UC San Diego is currently a D2 school that offers no athletic scholarships and has no football team. But, they win the D2 Sears Cup almost every year.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/23/ucsd-looks-at-football-and-division-i-upgrade/

UC San Diego is a gigantic school with a very good academic rep. There are so many good football players in Cali with nowhere to play since so many California schools have dropped the sport. There is one D2 football school in the entire state-- Humbolt State, and only a handful of FCS schools. I understand money is tight, but Cali needs FCS and D2 football!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Moving up to Division I probably would require providing around $1 million more in scholarships. It also would need to play Division I opponents. To meet this need, joining the Big West Conference has been mentioned as a possibility because all of its nine members are in California, including four from the UC system. However, only two members — Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and UC Davis — play football, with both competing in the five-team Great West Conference in the Football Championship Subdivision of NCAA Division I.

The Big West... Interesting...

CS Fullerton is thinking of football
Pacific is thinking of reinstating football
UC San Diego is thinking of football + Big West membership

You could make an interesting FCS football conference:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
Pacific
CS-Fullerton
UC San Diego

That's five core members, and you got to believe that there are a lot of other possibilities for that sixth team for an autobid. San Diego U.? UC Irvine? CS Northridge? Long Beach State? Those last three schools at one time sponsored football already.

TheBisonator
February 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Look here for people's opinions of UCSD:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ucsd

Apparently UCSD isn't exactly known for the macho jocky life.

Sec310
February 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Which Div I league would they get into at this point? They would likely have to find a way into the Big Sky, which may see some changes in the next few years (or according to WAC sources - likely not).

UCSD is about five year off from making the decision to move to D1. A study has been completed and should be release soon about UCSD making the move to D1. So many things can change in five years, it's stupid to think what conference they will join.

UC San Diego is a gigantic school with a very good academic rep. There are so many good football players in Cali with nowhere to play since so many California schools have dropped the sport. There is one D2 football school in the entire state-- Humbolt State, and only a handful of FCS schools. I understand money is tight, but Cali needs FCS and D2 football!

They won't be a D2 school. If they add football, it will be to a D1 program.

The Big West... Interesting...

CS Fullerton is thinking of football
Pacific is thinking of reinstating football
UC San Diego is thinking of football + Big West membership

You could make an interesting FCS football conference:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
Pacific
CS-Fullerton
UC San Diego

That's five core members, and you got to believe that there are a lot of other possibilities for that sixth team for an autobid. San Diego U.? UC Irvine? CS Northridge? Long Beach State? Those last three schools at one time sponsored football already.

None of the Big West schools, who currently do not have football, will ever add football. Thinking about adding football and coming up with the money to add football are two different things. If students at those schools want football, they will have to foot the bill. It won't happen.

UC San Diego could become all sports members of the BW, and be a football only member of another conference. Will UCSD add football is more of the unknown. UCSD moving to D1 is almost a done deal.

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
The major sword hanging over the state school's efforts to bring back football is the CAL-NOW consent decree signed with the Cal State University system, which forbids athlete populations to vary by more than 5% from the gender totals at large. While it was signed with the CSU system, the UC system follows it as well to avoid similar lawsuits.

UCSD is 48% male and its athlete population is 51% male. They could not add football without adding teams to accomodate 85-90 women.

Sec310
February 9th, 2011, 02:24 PM

I think this is a myth. If a HS/JC player was good enough to play FCS or D2 football, they would be playing FCS or D2 football, at some school, somewhere. I just don't see a whole bunch of kids, that are talented enough to play college football, not playing college football because CA lacks FCS and D2 school schools. If that is true and kids are not playing college football, blame the FCS and D2 coaches for not looking recruiting these CA kids.

TheBisonator
February 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
The major sword hanging over the state school's efforts to bring back football is the CAL-NOW consent decree signed with the Cal State University system, which forbids athlete populations to vary by more than 5% from the gender totals at large. While it was signed with the CSU system, the UC system follows it as well to avoid similar lawsuits.

UCSD is 48% male and its athlete population is 51% male. They could not add football without adding teams to accomodate 85-90 women.

How does this CAL NOW thing differ from title IX?? Is it like a more extreme enforcement of it??

National Organization for Women... Wish there was a National Organization for Men...xtwocentsx

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
How does this CAL NOW thing differ from title IX?? Is it like a more extreme enforcement of it??

The California branch of NOW sued and the CSU system settled. Among these schools, there is essentially one prong to Title IX and this is it.

Franks Tanks
February 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I think this is a myth. If a HS/JC player was good enough to play FCS or D2 football, they would be playing FCS or D2 football, at some school, somewhere. I just don't see a whole bunch of kids, that are talented enough to play college football, not playing college football because CA lacks FCS and D2 school schools. If that is true and kids are not playing college football, blame the FCS and D2 coaches for not looking recruiting these CA kids.

C'mon. How many kids are going to move halfway across the country to play D2 football? Or how many D2 schools will go to Cali to try to find kids?

States like PA and Michigan have tons of kids playing D2 college football at their local colleges, and most are in state guys. PA is a good football state, but California has a lot more kids playing HS football and produces a lot more D-I talent. If PA can support 12 D-II football schools I think California has more D2 talent then you let on.

daneboy
February 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Just for information, the Calif. schools that I have seen play and no longer play football are: UCSB, Pacific, Fullerton, Northridge, Riverside--these are all currently Big West schools, Santa Clara, St. Marys, Cal State LA, Cal Poly Pomona, Sonoma St., & San Francisco St. I think that Cal St. chico and Cal St. Hayword (now called East Bay) also had teams at one time or another. That is a lot of opportunity lost for Calif., football players. On the other hand, there are still lots of J.C. teams here....just some more info about Calif. And no, as a native and a long, long time Poly fan, I do not believe that any of the schools that gave up football will start over...it is kind of sad as there could be some great rivalries among the Big West schools and I do feel that football would help the money crunch...the problem is Title 9.

superman7515
February 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Other deceased college football programs from California: Long Beach, Chico, Hayward, California Baptist, California Tech, Coalinga, Grant Tech, Hastings Law College, Loyola Marymount, Los Angeles St., Ohlone College, Pepperdine, San Francisco (different from San Fran St), and US International.

Sec310
February 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM
C'mon. How many kids are going to move halfway across the country to play D2 football? Or how many D2 schools will go to Cali to try to find kids?

States like PA and Michigan have tons of kids playing D2 college football at their local colleges, and most are in state guys. PA is a good football state, but California has a lot more kids playing HS football and produces a lot more D-I talent. If PA can support 12 D-II football schools I think California has more D2 talent then you let on.

You make it sound like CA, is on it's own island, 3,000 miles away. How far is CA from AZ, OR, New Mexico, CO? There is a good amount of D2 schools in those states, that have football. Some of those states aren't great recruiting areas.

Redhawk2010
February 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM

I don't know how many of them will go elsewhere to play DII football, but SEMO seems to bring in several from California and Arizona each year. Many of them are JUCO transfers..

JBB
February 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
We are hearing a lot about University of North Alabama, Northern Kentucky, University or Nebraska @ Omaha, heck we even heard Saint Cloud State. Im not sure this is all good for the division?

NDSU left D2 when there was a strong movement from the lower divisions into D2. This had a lot of negative ramifications on the division. After UNC, NDSU and SDSU made the move there were other move-ups, not well thought out, that have done nothing to help the division. There are a lot of negative impacts, conference RPI is one of them. In that regard the Summit has been smart, exporting Centenary and SUU.

I'm not sure adding schools at will is a good idea for the division. They will have to have a conference invite to move, so thats a stabilizing factor, but I dont think it should be all comers. Only the most qualified should make the grade, we have learned that. xcoolx

401ks
February 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM

xeyebrowx

Irvine? Sponsored football??

I don't think so.

Do you know something that I don't know?

401ks
February 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM

As a California high school football coach, and the father of two boys that have gone out of state to play FCS football, I will tell you that Franks Tanks comments are not a myth.

California is not recruited heavily by FCS and DII programs across the country. In fact, many programs actively discourage California recruits (idiots!!) because they are concerned about them getting "homesick". xrolleyesx

As a matter of fact, Franks Tanks' own alma mater, Lafayette told my older son during his visit that they had bad luck with California recruits in the past.

Many California kids simply don't want to leave the state. One player at our high school was being heavily recruited by schools like Harvard, but he was holding them off because he didn't want to leave the sun and the surf of Southern California!

California is a gold mine of athletic talent, but those who may be a bit too small or too slow for USC, UCLA, or Stanford have very few in-state options and very few out-of-state FCS or DII coaches come calling.

Redhawk2010
February 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I just checked and SEMO had 10 players listed on the roster from California in 2010.

MplsBison
February 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
As a California high school football coach, and the father of two boys that have gone out of state to play FCS football, I will tell you that Franks Tanks comments are not a myth.

California is not recruited heavily by FCS and DII programs across the country. In fact, many programs actively discourage California recruits (idiots!!) because they are concerned about them getting "homesick". xrolleyesx

As a matter of fact, Franks Tanks' own alma mater, Lafayette told my older son during his visit that they had bad luck with California recruits in the past.

Many California kids simply don't want to leave the state. One player at our high school was being heavily recruited by schools like Harvard, but he was holding them off because he didn't want to leave the sun and the surf of Southern California!

California is a gold mine of athletic talent, but those who may be a bit too small or too slow for USC, UCLA, or Stanford have very few in-state options and very few out-of-state FCS or DII coaches come calling.

Say what you want, but I know that since Bohl's been the HC there have been a handful of CA players and not one was a standout, IMO.

It would be a toss-up between a corner who got to start due to lack of competition and injuries, a third string running back that left the team (or was kicked off, not sure) and a QB that should've been sent home for alcohol problems yet was allowed to stay because they had no one else and hasn't really done much since. (on a side note, the other two QBs Bohl has added from Calif JUCOs have done absolutely nothing for the program - one was actually kicked off the team and the other might as well be)

If those are the highlights, then there's not much need to recruit the state IMO. Stick to the midwest players that can survive in this (*@&$ cold.

Now they decided they'll go after Arizona kids instead. I think that had more to do with the coach being from Phx, but we'll see if that turns out any different.

Sec310
February 10th, 2011, 12:43 AM

One comment from a coach, is hardly enough evidence to disprove the myth. Lots of basketball players from CA, go out of state. Why wouldn't football players?

401ks
February 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
One comment from a coach, is hardly enough evidence to disprove the myth. Lots of basketball players from CA, go out of state. Why wouldn't football players?

xrolleyesx

One comment from an anonymous poster on a message board is hardly enough evidence to prove a myth.

xlolx

EDIT:

Ah, now I remember where I've seen the name Sec310 before!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?80363-Is-the-missing-piece-to-the-realignment-puzzle-America-East-football/page5

You're one of the folks here who throws around unsubstantiated claims and then clams up when presented with actual facts!

:p

401ks
February 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
You make it sound like CA, is on it's own island, 3,000 miles away. How far is CA from AZ, OR, New Mexico, CO? There is a good amount of D2 schools in those states, that have football. Some of those states aren't great recruiting areas.

xcoffeex

Facts that are easy enough to look up...

Division II football programs in:

Oregon: 1
Arizona: None
New Mexico: 3
Nevada: None
Colorado: 6
Washington: 1
Utah: 1
Idaho: None
California: 1

Pennsylvania: 17
North Carolina: 14
West Virginia: 8
Minnesota: 9
Ohio: 7
Texas: 8
Missouri: 8
Michigan: 8

What are the recruiting budgets of most FCS and Division II schools? From what I've been told, rather paltry.

The "myth" is real.

It comes from a combination of three things:

1.) Lack of FCS and Division II schools in California that sponsor football.

2.) Lack of recruiting by out-of-state football programs. (The internet is improving this situation somewhat. It is far better than the "old days" just five or ten years ago.)

3.) Relative lack of willingness of players to leave home. While this is true of many players nationwide, it is particularly true when speaking of a teenage boy sitting on the beach in Southern California in January in 75 degree weather with his bikini-clad girlfriend making a decision to go to a school that is experiencing a deep-freeze.

xpeacex

DFW HOYA
February 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Another issue not discussed: California has an extensive junior college football program (over 60 schools) that feed talent as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_college_football#CCCAA_football_programs

cpalum
February 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
UCSD is not adding football...take that to the bank. The article quoted is almost one year old

Sec310
February 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
xrolleyesx

One comment from an anonymous poster on a message board is hardly enough evidence to prove a myth.

xlolx

EDIT:

Ah, now I remember where I've seen the name Sec310 before!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?80363-Is-the-missing-piece-to-the-realignment-puzzle-America-East-football/page5

You're one of the folks here who throws around unsubstantiated claims and then clams up when presented with actual facts!

:p

What "claim" did I make? I didn't say the NCAA was going to start a non scholarship division. I just said maybe it's time.

Are you such a jerk, that you can't read?

401ks
February 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
What "claim" did I make?

xbangx

READ THE FRIGGIN' THREAD THAT I LINKED, PARTICULARLY THE FINAL POST THAT WENT UNANSWERED.

The season isn't even half over and historically the WCC and MVC have been better than the A-12(sic).

The final post in that thread contained FACTS that refuted your CLAIM that "historically the WCC and MVC have been better than the A-12(sic)."

xnonono2x

Model Citizen
February 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
They can study all they want. Football's not happening.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
If the NCAA passes their president's proposal, it would cost $1.5 million just to file the application, but good luck to 'em.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well - students say 'NO' to Division I... smart kids! Will have a hard time getting any fee on the students after 58% said no to the fee increase...

Students had their say during a three-day, campuswide vote this week in which 1,774 students participated.

With 6,752 students enrolled this spring, the turnout represents about 25 percent of the campus.

Voting was open to every student enrolled in classes.

Fifty-eight percent of those participating said they do not agree with a move to Division I athletics, while 42 percent said they are in favor.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110212/NEWS/110219939/1011/NEWS?Title=Students-vote-against-move-to-Division-I

Sec310
February 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
UC San Diego has a ton of money. That $1.5M won't be an stumbling block. The issue is getting the nerds, to see that athletics can add to a school's profile.

TT, your link belong in it's own thread. Believe me, when I say this. For UCSD, it's a matter of when they move to D1, not if.

Franks Tanks
February 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
UC San Diego has a ton of money. That $1.5M won't be an stumbling block. The issue is getting the nerds, to see that athletics can add to a school's profile.

TT, your link belong in it's own thread. Believe me, when I say this. For UCSD, it's a matter of when they move to D1, not if.

Given California's severe budget issues wont a move to D-1 be rather difficult? Cal is still dropping a few sports, and needed alumni donations to save a few others from the chopping block.

Sec310
February 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Given California's severe budget issues wont a move to D-1 be rather difficult? Cal is still dropping a few sports, and needed alumni donations to save a few others from the chopping block.

No, this is something that UC San Diego has thought about. The D1 report is done and is being studied now, before it will be release, maybe April.

Sec310
February 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM
xbangx

READ THE FRIGGIN' THREAD THAT I LINKED, PARTICULARLY THE FINAL POST THAT WENT UNANSWERED.

The final post in that thread contained FACTS that refuted your CLAIM that "historically the WCC and MVC have been better than the A-12(sic)."

xnonono2x

You are smart enough to know that RPI's are flawed and shouldn't be used as the only judgement about which conference is better. Oh, sorry, I'm giving you too much credit.

Franks Tanks
February 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
No, this is something that UC San Diego has thought about. The D1 report is done and is being studied now, before it will be release, maybe April.

Well of course there is a study, but where will the money come from? Students don't seem to have a desire to pay extra student fees to support D-I, and I doubt the state of California will be increasing funds to UCSD anytime soon.

401ks
February 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
You are smart enough to know that RPI's are flawed and shouldn't be used as the only judgement about which conference is better. Oh, sorry, I'm giving you too much credit.

Wow. You must be an avid viewer of cable "news" programs...

Presenting opinions as "facts", and when presented with actual facts insult the messenger!

xnonono2x

401ks
February 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
They can study all they want. Football's not happening.

xthumbsupx

401ks
February 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
UCSD is not adding football...take that to the bank. The article quoted is almost one year old

xthumbsupx

wapiti
February 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
What are the chances that Seattle U would do a study to start a football program?

I know that Udub is there, but Seattle is big enough, I think it would support a 2nd div 1 team.

and/Or that Central Washington would move up to FCS.

SF State Gaters
July 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
This is a fun conversation given how difficult it has been made (for all of the reasons that have been discussed) to bring football back to any of the two-dozen schools that have disbanded their programs in California but how eager so many students and alumni are to have football played at their schools. Nearly every school in the Big West and West Coast Conference has some sort of movement whose goal is to bring the game back to their institution, but the challenges they face in opposition from the administration are steep.

I argue that it really only takes one California school to make a difference; it wouldn't matter if it was UCSD, UCSB, UCI, UCR, CSULB, CSUF, CSUB, CSUN... whomever, but one single Cal team in FBS would give the state enough to create a california-based conference which would be able to compete against the Big Sky (essentially entailing the far-western Big Sky members seceding joined by the new California school.

But the obstacles to this occurring are so fierce, it could only really happen with a great student movement combined with an ambitious or just bad-*** AD (who doesn't exist).

DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2011, 09:50 PM
What are the chances that Seattle U would do a study to start a football program?
I know that Udub is there, but Seattle is big enough, I think it would support a 2nd div 1 team.

Seattle is not very big--4,300 undergrads and 60% of students commuting or living off-campus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_University

bojeta
July 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
xcoffeex

Facts that are easy enough to look up...

Division II football programs in:

Oregon: 1
Arizona: None
New Mexico: 3
Nevada: None
Colorado: 6
Washington: 1
Utah: 1
Idaho: None
California: 1

Pennsylvania: 17
North Carolina: 14
West Virginia: 8
Minnesota: 9
Ohio: 7
Texas: 8
Missouri: 8
Michigan: 8

What are the recruiting budgets of most FCS and Division II schools? From what I've been told, rather paltry.

The "myth" is real.

All anyone had to do was look at the conference Humboldt State plays in, The Great Northwest Athletic Conf. For crying out loud!! They had to pick up a team from Canada and must play each team in the conference twice to reach 11 games. DII teams are extremely scarce in the Western US. As for FCS, it took combining the Big Sky and the Great West to finally create a conference like the CAA. We're talking the Canadian border to the Mexican border and Washington to the Dakotas!!! Roughly half the continental US to form a 13 team conference. Can't count the Pioneer League teams because they aren't offering the scholarships. There are a handful of DIII teams, but all included, it's a pittance compared to the playing opportunities in the Southwest, South, Northeast etc.

bojeta
July 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Here's something very few people know about or remember: UCSD had a football team!!! It lasted 1 year, 1968. Considering the team was thrown together in a single season and made up of primarily freshman, it is understandable they went 0-7. I actually give them a lot of credit for scoring a fair number of points and never giving up. It was a rather bizarre vote by the student body that put an end to the program so abruptly. Read this article on the Cal Western Football website. http://calwesternfootball.com/Documents/Newspaper/CWU%20vs%20UCSD%201968.pdf

Red & Black
July 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM

and/Or that Central Washington would move up to FCS.

Basically no chance that Seattle U would start football. It's a fairly small school that's only recently moved to Division I. They're primarily focused on basketball.

Central Washington is in a tough situation since there are very few Division II schools out west, and that number seems to be getting smaller all the time. At present, they don't have the facilities or resources to make the jump. If they did, the Big Sky would be the logical choice, but it ain't gunna happen.

bojeta
July 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Basically no chance that Seattle U would start football. It's a fairly small school that's only recently moved to Division I. They're primarily focused on basketball.

Central Washington is in a tough situation since there are very few Division II schools out west, and that number seems to be getting smaller all the time. At present, they don't have the facilities or resources to make the jump. If they did, the Big Sky would be the logical choice, but it ain't gunna happen.

Still thinking Humboldt is an outside (way outside) shot for making the jump in the next five years.

SF State Gaters
July 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Still thinking Humboldt is an outside (way outside) shot for making the jump in the next five years.

They would have to be a candidate for all the same reasons as Central Washington discussed above; they are so far removed from their opponents, and playing the occasional GSAC, Cal Pac, or Pac West opponent who offers football isn't conducive to operating on a DII budget.

It's the sad fate of the Northern California Athletic Conference (formerly the Far West Conference), the DII conference which housed Humboldt State and the Cal Aggies alongside my SF State Gaters, Sonoma State, Chico State, and CSU Hawyward. That conference was ideal but now long forgotten..

SF State Gaters
July 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Oh, this is fun, I didn't know this, but per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northwest_Athletic_Conference)Azusa Pacific is transferring from NAIA to D-II for '12-'13, meaning there'll be TWO DII football schools in California! They'll be in the GNAC for football with Humboldt State, Western Oregon, Central Washington, Dixie State, and Simon Fraser, and in the Pac West for the other sports. that's pretty exciting i won't lie.

bojeta
July 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
They would have to be a candidate for all the same reasons as Central Washington discussed above; they are so far removed from their opponents, and playing the occasional GSAC, Cal Pac, or Pac West opponent who offers football isn't conducive to operating on a DII budget.

It's the sad fate of the Northern California Athletic Conference (formerly the Far West Conference), the DII conference which housed Humboldt State and the Cal Aggies alongside my SF State Gaters, Sonoma State, Chico State, and CSU Hawyward. That conference was ideal but now long forgotten..

I remember. I was at Chico State before transferring to Cal Poly when the Far West Conf was in full swing. I loved going to those games. I remember watching Davis thump us. That was the year Davis made it to the DII finals.

SF State Gaters
July 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I remember. I was at Chico State before transferring to Cal Poly when the Far West Conf was in full swing. I loved going to those games. I remember watching Davis thump us. That was the year Davis made it to the DII finals.

Seriously, Davis flippin' owned the conference, both the FWC and the NCAC. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California_Athletic_Conference).. they literally won two dozen championships in a row. San Francisco State was in charge of the conference in the 50's and 60's under Joe Verduci (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Verducci) and Vic Rowen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Rowen), but the 1960's really were more fun for SF State than Football could ever really be.

Seawolf97
July 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
StonyBrook has quite a few California kids on the roster. Mike Coulter our starting QB the last two seasons hails from California. For the most part they seem to be impact players at the FCS level .

SF State Gaters
July 8th, 2011, 03:50 AM
StonyBrook has quite a few California kids on the roster. Mike Coulter our starting QB the last two seasons hails from California. For the most part they seem to be impact players at the FCS level .

It is likely like that everywhere because California is HUGE and yet only has about a dozen in-state options for high school football players for college if they want to keep playing football. The collapse of football from nearly every college in the state has left us with a massive tallent drain as there are so few in-state options; most rosters have CA kids for at least this reason, and it is sad as hell

Franks Tanks
July 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM
It is likely like that everywhere because California is HUGE and yet only has about a dozen in-state options for high school football players for college if they want to keep playing football. The collapse of football from nearly every college in the state has left us with a massive tallent drain as there are so few in-state options; most rosters have CA kids for at least this reason, and it is sad as hell

I agree. California has a bunch of great public universities, and it is a shame 2 play at the FCS level and only one plays at the D-II level.

401ks
July 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I agree. California has a bunch of great public universities, and it is a shame 2 play at the FCS level and only one plays at the D-II level.

California public universities that play FCS-level football:

1. Sacramento State University
2. UC Davis
3. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Franks Tanks
July 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
California public universities that play FCS-level football:

1. Sacramento State University
2. UC Davis
3. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Sac state doesnt count. (I always forget about them)

bojeta
July 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Just for reference....
List of 71 California Community College Football Programs:

Bakersfield
Cerritos
Canyons
Ventura
El Camino
Allan Hancock
San Francisco
Foothill
Butte
San Mateo
Laney
Santa Rosa
Fresno
San Joaquin Delta
Modesto
Sequoias
Reedley
Sierra
Mt. San Antonio
Saddleback
Fullerton
Palomar
Grossmont
Pasadena
American River
Sacramento
Feather River
Siskiyous
Mendocino
Los Angeles Harbor
Chaffey
Moorpark
Long Beach
Antelope Valley
Citrus
De Anza
Diablo Valley
Chabot
West Hills
Los Medanos
Merced
Riverside
Santa Ana
Golden West
Desert
Orange Coast
Southwestern
Solano
Contra Costa
Shasta
Yuba
Redwoods
Los Angeles Pierce
Los Angeles Valley
West Los Angeles
Santa Barbara
LA Southwest
Santa Monica
Glendale
San Jose
Monterey Peninsula
Cabrillo
Hartnell
Gavilan
West Valley
San Bernardino Val.
Mt. San Jacinto
East Los Angeles
Victor Valley
San Diego Mesa
Compton

bojeta
July 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
For reference: California FCS, NAIA, DII and DIII programs as of 2011:

FCS
Cal Poly
UC Davis
Sacramento State
U. San Diego

NAIA
Azusa Pacific (Moving to DII and the GNAC 2012)
Menlo College

DII
Humboldt State

DIII
Cal Lutheran Univ.
Chapman Univ.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
U. La Verne
Occidental College
Pomona-Pitzer
U. Redlands
Whittier College

bojeta
July 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
And of course.... the FBS/BCS schools:

UC Berkely
Stanford
San Jose State
Fresno State
UCLA
USC
San Diego State

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Jucos are sadly overlooked in all of these discussions- and often their players go on to do fantastic things at higher levels. Cam Newton is a shining example of this, leading Blinn college to a NJCAA title and then Auburn to an NCAA title in the next season. Jucos are great and there are a good number of them in California.

appfan2008
August 30th, 2011, 06:21 AM
boy this thread got picked up out of no where

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM
boy this thread got picked up out of no where

Yeah i've been doing that.

I've been looking at stuff i'm interested in but a lot of it is pretty old.

I have been interested in some of the stuff that was talked about a while ago but not returned to recently.