February 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Just announced:

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/20110208wlusw9

SpeedkingATL
February 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Nice move by both teams.

PaladinFan
February 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I imagine that'll be a game you could potentially see a lot of.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Eh, certainly no guarantee that the return game in 2015 will ever be played. Just sayin.

asucrutch23
February 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Eh, certainly no guarantee that the return game in 2015 will ever be played. Just sayin.

Knew that was eventually coming...

49RFootballNow
February 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Looking forward to it. I haven't visited Furman before but I've heard the campus is very nice. Furman have a full OOC schedule already in '13?

henfan
February 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hope the buyout's favorable for UNCC.

49RFootballNow
February 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hope the buyout's favorable for UNC Charlotte.

Am I missing something about Furman backing out on contracts?

PaladinFan
February 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Am I missing something about Furman backing out on contracts?

Furman had a home and home with UD a few years ago. The Hens came down and lost in Greenville, and the following season Missouri bought out the contract and Furman played in Columbia the next season. You can look at it as "backing out," but home and home contracts have such clauses for just such reasons. Folks buy out contracts all the time. Heck, it happened to Furman this year as Presbyterian backed out to play Wake Forest last minute and Furman ended up having to schedule Howard.

bluehenbillk
February 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Why would teams schedule a home & home with FU & not demand to host the 1st game is beyond me.

PaladinFan
February 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Why would teams schedule a home & home with FU & not demand to host the 1st game is beyond me.

Good grief. Get over it.

Skjellyfetti
February 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM
You can look at it as "backing out," but home and home contracts have such clauses for just such reasons. Folks buy out contracts all the time.

+1

Delaware fans are whiny.

Redhawk2010
February 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Sounds like someone's jealous. The team apparently got a better offer than the Blue Hens..

bluehenbillk
February 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Sounds like someone's jealous. The team apparently got a better offer than the Blue Hens..

Uh no, we were burnt by FU a few years ago, that won't ever happen again.

Redhawk2010
February 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Uh no, we were burnt by FU a few years ago, that won't ever happen again.

Right. Because they got a better offer. Instead of coming to play you, they went to Missouri and brought home some money.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thought it might have been some unusual circumstance that caused Furman to back out. Can't blame a school for trying to get paid though.

PaladinFan
February 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thought it might have been some unusual circumstance that caused Furman to back out. Can't blame a school for trying to get paid though.

That's pretty much the opinion of everyone but UD fans. UD got paid and found another game. Furman got paid. Sure, it would have been nice to keep the game as is, and I still hope Furman can make the trip up there at some point. Reality is that this is a cost of doing business in college football. That's why you sign a contract allowing for such things.

apaladin
February 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Looking forward to it. I haven't visited Furman before but I've heard the campus is very nice. Furman have a full OOC schedule already in '13?

I think they do, I think it's something like: PC, CCU and LSU. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to play this game the in Charlotte's first season anyway. Better to get their feet wet first.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I think they do, I think it's something like: PC, CCU and LSU. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to play this game the in Charlotte's first season anyway. Better to get their feet wet first.

We're playing ODU, CCU, Char. So., Gardner-Webb, Morehead St., Campbell, and NC Central our first year, plus Chowan, UNC Pembroke and N. Greenville from D2. I'm thinking maybe Furman offered us an away in 2013 and we wanted a home game instead, so the whole thing was pushed back a year. We now have 6 home games with the D2's added but I imagine if we can we want to try to get a 7th with an FCS.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Furman had a home and home with UD a few years ago. The Hens came down and lost in Greenville, and the following season Missouri bought out the contract and Furman played in Columbia the next season. You can look at it as "backing out," but home and home contracts have such clauses for just such reasons. Folks buy out contracts all the time. Heck, it happened to Furman this year as Presbyterian backed out to play Wake Forest last minute and Furman ended up having to schedule Howard.

Actually, it's not called backing out, it's called being "Furmaned" - google it - Google never lies. :)

Odd that we have a thread bemoaning the fact that the CAA won't schedule Appy, and then we have this thread where people are perfectly fine with exercising buyout clauses when it suits them.

Like the other poster said, I'm just shocked that Charlotte didn't demand to host the first game.

cmaxwellgsu
February 9th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Furman has all the leverage here. They are an established team with a conference home, so they could easily pass and find a game should Charlotte get demanding. Charlotte, being an independent and a startup, is going to have it better once they have a year or two to show some attendance numbers. I'm a little surprised the Paladins are willing to do a home and home, but it is a short drive up to Charlotte.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Furman has all the leverage here. They are an established team with a conference home, so they could easily pass and find a game should Charlotte get demanding. Charlotte, being an independent and a startup, is going to have it better once they have a year or two to show some attendance numbers. I'm a little surprised the Paladins are willing to do a home and home, but it is a short drive up to Charlotte.

As stated in the App/CAA thread, Charlotte is only offering Home and Home series with FCS schools. That being said, we're willing to work around other school's schedules to achieve that.

In other 49ers related news:

We will visit Blacksburg for the first game of the 2019 season.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/

OL FU
February 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Actually, it's not called backing out, it's called being "Furmaned" - google it - Google never lies. :)

Odd that we have a thread bemoaning the fact that the CAA won't schedule Appy, and then we have this thread where people are perfectly fine with exercising buyout clauses when it suits them.

Like the other poster said, I'm just shocked that Charlotte didn't demand to host the first game.

Furman 2 Delaware 0

nuff said.

Other than that you can kiss my ***xlolx