PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: Lamar Not Eligible as FCS Counter for FBS

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Confusing... did Lamar not utilize at least 57 equivalencies while Georgia State did? Wonder if someone can make sense of this one because the fans on the Lamar board (http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=79853.0) have yet to...

Thanks to Texas Tech backing out on a game at TCU for the second consecutive year, and the Mountain West Conference recently shifting TCU’s scheduled home game against Boise State to Boise, the Horned Frogs are in a near panic over trying to find two home games at a late date. Lamar had high hopes of filling one of the slots in what would have been a “money game” for the Cardinals. The NCAA, however, delivered a puzzling ruling that Lamar didn’t have enough players on scholarship after two years to count as a legitimate game for TCU. What baffles LU coach Ray Woodard is that Georgia State had the same number of players on scholarship (57) after two years as Lamar and is being allowed to count on Houston’s 2011 schedule

http://panews.com/sportsbobwest/x2072622676/Southeast-Texas-voting-turnout-helped-Charles

Redhawk2010
February 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Okay, now how much of a scholarship does each player have to get to count? Because I have been told (and completely believe!) that SEMO does not provide 57 scholarships in football. One reason I believe this is a couple years ago we were hit with a penalty for NCAA violations which resulted in our scholarship allotment going from 63 to 61, but it was said that it didn't even affect the school at all because they weren't funded anyway..

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Okay, now how much of a scholarship does each player have to get to count? Because I have been told (and completely believe!) that SEMO does not provide 57 scholarships in football. One reason I believe this is a couple years ago we were hit with a penalty for NCAA violations which resulted in our scholarship allotment going from 63 to 61, but it was said that it didn't even affect the school at all because they weren't funded anyway..

If I am not mistaken, the whole ability to play FBS comes from averaging 57 (or thereabouts) equivalencies (all your scholarships adding up to 57 fulls) over a two-year period. If Lamar misinterpreted the rule as having 57 players on scholarship instead of all their scholarships equaling 57 full rides, that's their fault.

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
If I am not mistaken, the whole ability to play FBS comes from averaging 57 (or thereabouts) equivalencies (all your scholarships adding up to 57 fulls) over a two-year period. If Lamar misinterpreted the rule as having 57 players on scholarship instead of all their scholarships equaling 57 full rides, that's their fault.

That's the only thing it could be.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
That's the only thing it could be.

I am surprised Lamar will not have met that average over two years...

If they are entering the SLC less than fully-funded, are they the only team in the league that is not? Perhaps Nicholls is at the 57, so they can make sure to get a chance to play FBS schools? I know Nicholls is not fully-funded in a few sports with coaches responsible for bringing the total up...

BlueHenSinfonian
February 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Considering that the payout from a money game would likely eclipse the cost of a few scholarships, is there anything saying that Lamar couldn't just award schollies to a couple more guys on the team to make themselves a counter? Would it have to have been done by a certain date?

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I am surprised Lamar will not have met that average over two years...

If they are entering the SLC less than fully-funded, are they the only team in the league that is not? Perhaps Nicholls is at the 57, so they can make sure to get a chance to play FBS schools? I know Nicholls is not fully-funded in a few sports with coaches responsible for bringing the total up...

I'm not certain which two-year period the 56.5 is factored on...if it's the previous two seasons, then it makes sense...if it's the average of 2010 and 2011, then I would be surprised, though they may be holding back some scholarships for transfers in the fall which could affect it.

TexasTerror
February 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm not certain which two-year period the 56.5 is factored on...if it's the previous two seasons, then it makes sense...if it's the average of 2010 and 2011, then I would be surprised, though they may be holding back some scholarships for transfers in the fall which could affect it.

Georgia State did not have a similar issue with their game with Houston this year... we all know the Alabama game did not count last year.

lionsrking2
February 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Georgia State did not have a similar issue with their game with Houston this year... we all know the Alabama game did not count last year.

I dunno...only thing I know to do is call 'em up and ask them.

apaladin
February 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I questioned if PC met this criteria when their game against Clemson was counted for the Tigers. Never got an answer but Clemson counted it for their 6th win to make them bowl eligible. I don't think there is anyway PC gives 57 FB schollies.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Explained... Lamar fans say that Cardinals saved a few scholarships last year for FBS transfers... (or Navarro JC transfers, since Ray-Ray loves those JUCO kids from his old stomping grounds)...

Lamar played last season with 56 players on scholarship, which would account for 88.9 percent of the 63 scholarships a Football Championship Subdivision (former I-AA) school is allowed to distribute.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/Lamar-football-hopes-to-play-TCU-in-future-season-1009839.php#ixzz1Di99qsvL

LouiseBFree
February 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Not quite explained. Two year scholarship average must be 90% of 63. The two years prior to the season when playing an FBS. Lamar had 2-3 dozen schollies in 2009, thus even a full limit of 63 in 2010 wouldn't have given them the two-year average needed to meet the requirement to be an FBS counter in 2011. Maybe Georgia State met this in 2009 and 10.

Explained... Lamar fans say that Cardinals saved a few scholarships last year for FBS transfers... (or Navarro JC transfers, since Ray-Ray loves those JUCO kids from his old stomping grounds)...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/Lamar-football-hopes-to-play-TCU-in-future-season-1009839.php#ixzz1Di99qsvL