PDA

View Full Version : Why won't the CAA schedule ASU?

Rekdiver
February 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just asking because it appears we contacted 3 schools about open dates and were turned down. I don't know why anyone would worry about us cause the last 2 CAA teams beat us at the Rock. Richmond and Nova. Of course the ACC won't either....We are getting forced to move to the FBS.......

So we end up with A&T and Savannah State.......

R3TRO
February 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
I can give an educated guess as to why UNH wouldn't.

ur2k
February 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
At first glance, even though the fans would want to see it from the school's perspective there is no reason to schedule you guys for a really tough OOC game on the road when the CAA slate is tough enough plus many of us play FBS games for a paycheck. With only 11 games, you need to schedule in some "wiggle room" for playoff contention.

Also, what were you guys offering? A home and home, a paid game, what was the timeframe, etc? There's much more to it than the blanket statement of "the CAA won't scheulde App"

MinuteFan
February 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
From a fan's standpoint, I'd love to see it and I have asked the same question (not ASU in particular, but any high-ranking FCS team like GSU, Montana, etc.). The answer is that from a football standpoint, there is little to gain and more to lose when CAA teams schedule these type of games. Just playing within CAA gives a team all the SOS they need. Basically, a win wouldn't help much, a loss would hurt more. So for UMass, for example, they will continue with a somewhat evenly matched geographic rival (Holy Cross), a game they should win (Central Connecticut), and an FBS payday (Boston College). Again, as a fan, I'd love to see it.

RookieWill
February 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Look at Villanova's non-conference schedule

PENN, Temple, Monmouth (used to be Lehigh). We play a money game in Temple (which also happens to be a "busable" game and a huge rival) and two other lower-level local teams in PENN and Monmouth (90 minute ride from Villanova). The CAA is so brutal, there is zero interest in a game with no money that we would have to travel to, and is very "loseable"

Very similar to UMASS description above

BTW, I would also love to see it!

andy7171
February 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
As if our schedule isn't impossible as it is...

Mattymc727
February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Was UNH one of the teams contacted? I think it would be cool to get a home and home with App State. It obviously makes our schedule a lot harder, but you have to beat the best if you want to be the best. Plus I think having App State at UNH the year after would be a nice headliner to get a big crowd at Cowell.

tribe_pride
February 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
What teams and what was the offer? Obviously a blanket statement isn't always accurate.

As for the Tribe, we always play an FBS and VMI (missed 1 year but this is an annual tradition) and we have only one other game - never done the 12 game thing even when allowed but who knows since we got screwed a few years ago because of it. Depending on the year, we may need a home game since FBS is always away and every other year VMI is away so that could be an issue. Also, with our SOS, it doesn't always make sense to get another top 10 FCS game and try to qualify for the playoffs (but that is just me talking - not me talking for the coaches)

GannonFan
February 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
It would be curious to know which CAA teams were approached. I strongly doubt UD would do it - it's a revenue neutral deal (home and home) so considering UD's gone almost exclusively with the in Newark only OOC games since being Furmaned UD might balk just from that. As Appy St knows, it's hard to turn down the $300k+ profit from home games. While it would be fun for the fans, like others have said, it doesn't really help teams very much. A 7-4 CAA team is getting into the playoffs anyway and a 6-5 one isn't. SOS doesn't really need to be strengthened any more than it is.

ccd494
February 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Were they offering home and homes, or just one game at App?

Hard to believe Maine would pass up a chance to go 2-0 at App State, either way.

49RFootballNow
February 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
The real question isn't why CAA teams won't schedule App. It's why has App not scheduled Charlotte yet? We still have 5 open weeks in 2013 and 14. You'd think App would jump at the chance to play in the city.

superman7515
February 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
The real question isn't why CAA teams won't schedule App. It's why has App not scheduled Charlotte yet? We still have 5 open weeks in 2013 and 14. You'd think App would jump at the chance to play in the city.

I'm pretty sure the real question is why CAA teams won't schedule App since it's his thread.

AppTrex77
February 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
I think the real reason is that App is looking for a home game only and not the home and away series. Of course, this is due to the $$$$ issue. We make more $$$ for the home games because of the crowd size over "most" other FCS opponents whether they be CAA or not. The away game would not be as lucrative. Our home and away series with Montana should prove lucrative...... not sure about McNeese.

I hope App does schedule some games with Charlotte - - - I think it would be quite interesting and a lot of fun!!!

SpeedkingATL
February 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I think the real reason is that App is looking for a home game only and not the home and away series. Of course, this is due to the $$$$ issue. We make more $$$ for the home games because of the crowd size over "most" other FCS opponents whether they be CAA or not. The away game would not be as lucrative.

I believe you hit the answer. I expect we were offering one game, "visit The Rock" deals rather than home and homes because of the financial issues. That said I would love to see home and home contracts with JMU as that series already has some history and JMU could pay enough for the visiting game to make it worthwhile as could Delaware.

elon77
February 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
I guess no one in the CAA likes to use outhouses, drink moonshine, look at women with one tooth and travel to the coldest, yes coldest place on earth in the winter. Seems unreasonable to me, but I've been there several times.

AppTrex77
February 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
I guess no one in the CAA likes to use outhouses, drink moonshine, look at women with one tooth and travel to the coldest, yes coldest place on earth in the winter. Seems unreasonable to me, but I've been there several times.

Yeah, we know, you were the one described above!!!!

umassfan
February 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Why would any CAA team play a one game deal with App at their place. No team in the best conf would need to do that. You dont see teams from the SEC playing one shot deals at lower conf stadiums. Just dont need to do that. It would have to be a home and home or a 2-1 with the CAA team being in favor.

asu3peat
February 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hahaha...lower conference stadium? 2 for 1 CAA? I just spit soda all over my monitor!

I believe the teams ASU reached out to were looking for 1 game this season to fill out their schedule. I haven't seen it posted as to which CAA programs the athletic department reached out to. I can understand why playoff contending teams, especially from the perceived FCS power conferences, wouldn't want to schedule a tough OOC game from a football coach's perspective. It just sucks for us, the fans, as I'd love to see home and home deals with teams from the CAA, MVFC, Big Sky or Southland. However, the AD has bills to pay and it's very hard to pass up a 1 game home deal, regardless of competition, when your fans are selling the stadium out.

bluehenbillk
February 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Delaware doesn't play FCS OOC games on the road.

HailSzczur
February 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
It has to be all money. What playoff contention CAA team is going to go down to boone with a possiblity getting their asses kicked? For APP it would be a great deal to get them to come down. However I also wouldnt think APP is looking to head north and take the CAA on the road. A home and home might work with schools like JMU, W&M, Richmond, or UDel, but it would never work with Nova, we would end up eating too much of a bill on the deal.

I would love to see like what they do in college basketball sometimes, a weekend of SOCON, CAA matchups, that would be fun.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM

e77 is right we have very good dental care here in NH...now about those other thingsxwhistlex

App-a-latch-un
February 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM

I don't think we'd be traveling to play you, you'd be coming up here.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Delaware doesn't play FCS OOC games on the road, beacause the last three trips to the SoCon resulted in three losses to Citadel, Georgia Southern, and Furman.

Fixed it for ya. Glad you guys play in that "tough"xchinscratchx conference up there.

Mattymc727
February 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I bet UNH was one of the teams. We are still looking to fill a spot on our schedule too. However, it is right in the middle of a stretch of tough road games so Im sure UNH turned it down for the very reason of wanting a home game to break that stretch up.

UMass922
February 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
From a fan's standpoint, I'd love to see it and I have asked the same question (not ASU in particular, but any high-ranking FCS team like GSU, Montana, etc.). The answer is that from a football standpoint, there is little to gain and more to lose when CAA teams schedule these type of games. Just playing within CAA gives a team all the SOS they need. Basically, a win wouldn't help much, a loss would hurt more. So for UMass, for example, they will continue with a somewhat evenly matched geographic rival (Holy Cross), a game they should win (Central Connecticut), and an FBS payday (Boston College). Again, as a fan, I'd love to see it.

Agree 100%. As a fan I'd love to see it, but it's easy for me to understand why it doesn't happen.

aust42
February 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I was hoping that Delaware would continue scheduling home/home games with the Southern Conference. It started with Citidel 1999/2000 & 2002/2003, Georgia Southern 2001/2002 (yes TWO Southern Conf teams on our schedule in 2002 & then Furman in 2008 and as we all know they backed out coming to Delaware in 2009 for a FBS money game.

So whose next? I would LOVE to see Ap State in a home/home series. Probably won't happen since KC supposedly does not want to play tough OOC games and would prefer to play all OOC at home. He also supposedly doesn't want to play any FBS teams. However, he must not have any say in the schedule (thank God) because that hasn't been the case. We still have Navy on future schedules, PITT on future schedules and although we have played some easy OOC games, they certainly haven't all been patsies.

49RFootballNow
February 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I don't think we'd be traveling to play you, you'd be coming up here.

Oh no, no, no. We only schedule home and home's unless the team is FBS. Even with the mighty App. St. You'd think App. would love to come play in "their" most populous market.

superman7515
February 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
How do you know what you do and don't do when you've never done anything at all?

BucBisonAtLarge
February 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Were you needing to heat up an evening? Sheesh, everyone wants a home game, after traveling for their FBS paycheck or two-- ASU and Delaware are looking for their 25K in the stands, as are the rezt of the CAA with that one free spot on the calendar. Furman and Colgate managed to schedule a game. The real question is why the Douthern Conference does not find open dates for Liberty and its Big South bretyhren, if I may toss a log on the blaze....

49RFootballNow
February 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
How do you know what you do and don't do when you've never done anything at all?

Because I can read our AD's interviews.

Redhawk2010
February 4th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Oh no, no, no. We only schedule home and home's unless the team is FBS. Even with the mighty App. St. You'd think App. would love to come play in "their" most populous market.

LOL. I love this: a school who has never played a down of football is already making demands! You guys are lower than low at this point.

T-Dog
February 4th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I've heard one of the CAA teams was William and Mary. I also heard we approached North Carolina for our 11th game and was turned down because "we don't schedule FCS games", which is crap.

SideLine Shooter
February 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Delaware doesn't play FCS OOC games on the road.

Yea, I kind of noticed that in that little game in Frisco this year.

SideLine Shooter
February 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Now that is a real intelligent post, as if West Burlington has anything to offer.

henfan
February 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Our home and away series with Montana should prove lucrative......

Not any more than any other FCS series. Road guarantees for inter divisional FCS games are comparatively low, no matter the opponent. App will likely just cover their basic travel expenses for the trip out to Missoula with not much guarantee money left over. Obviously ASU will gain big revenue from the home side of the deal but, really, are they going to sell that many more tickets for UM than they would any other home game opponent? Aren't most home games sold out anyway?

While fun for hardcore FCS fans, inter divisional FCS series between teams from highly rated conferences aren't really loaded with financial and competitive incentives. In the end, the UM-ASU series will likely be revenue neutral for both schools. It should be a lot fun to watch though.xthumbsupx

tribe_pride
February 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I've heard one of the CAA teams was William and Mary. I also heard we approached North Carolina for our 11th game and was turned down because "we don't schedule FCS games", which is crap.

If it's for next year, we need a home game. We have 4 home and 4 away in conference. Out of conference we are @UVA and @VMI. No way are we going to have a 3rd out of conference away game if that is what App. State was demanding. We need 5 home games next year.

As for UNC, if it is for next year, that's BS (about not scheduling FCS since they played us) but I think they had already scheduled JMU and then backed out for a money game against Louisville.

AppTrex77
February 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=henfan;1610369]Not any more than any other FCS series. Road guarantees for inter divisional FCS games are comparatively low, no matter the opponent.

I beg to differ..... small stadiums with small crowds make a difference (not that the games couldn't be just as exciting and entertaining). (see below)

[QUOTE=henfan;1610369]
App will likely just cover their basic travel expenses for the trip out to Missoula with not much guarantee money left over. Obviously ASU will gain big revenue from the home side of the deal but, really, are they going to sell that many more tickets for UM than they would any other home game opponent? Aren't most home games sold out anyway?

That is my point. Even though we probably break even on the away trip, the home game would be extremely lucrative. Yes, we basically fill the stadium for most home games, but I would be surprised if the stadium seams weren't bursting for the game with Montana(as well as any other strong FCS opponent). [Of course this pertains to regular season. We all know what happens during play-offs, unfortunately.]

srgrizizen
February 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Not any more than any other FCS series. Road guarantees for inter divisional FCS games are comparatively low, no matter the opponent. App will likely just cover their basic travel expenses for the trip out to Missoula with not much guarantee money left over. Obviously ASU will gain big revenue from the home side of the deal but, really, are they going to sell that many more tickets for UM than they would any other home game opponent? Aren't most home games sold out anyway?

While fun for hardcore FCS fans, inter divisional FCS series between teams from highly rated conferences aren't really loaded with financial and competitive incentives. In the end, the UM-ASU series will likely be revenue neutral for both schools. It should be a lot fun to watch though.xthumbsupx

So if financial considerations had nothing to do with it, and I agree with your point, isn't this exactly what many fans have been begging for? And shouldn't people tone down the rhetoric a bit about UMs alleged cream puff scheduling? And maybe a 7-4 Montana might be as good as any 7-4 CAC team??

49RFootballNow
February 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
LOL. I love this: a school who has never played a down of football is already making demands! You guys are lower than low at this point.

HAHAHA!!! What FCS schools don't expect home and home's from another FCS school?

Skjellyfetti
February 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
HAHAHA!!! What FCS schools don't expect home and home's from another FCS school?

We have two on our schedule for 2011. And, yeah... they're both pretty bad. But, they're lightyears ahead of UNCC at this point.

49RFootballNow
February 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
We have two on our schedule for 2011. And, yeah... they're both pretty bad. But, they're lightyears ahead of UNCC at this point.

Cool. I'd like to see App play Charlotte but it won't happen without a home and home.

SpeedkingATL
February 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM

App State brought a very good Northern Arizona team to The Rock a few years ago for a one and done. I think we paid them somewhere between $100-150K for the game.

AppTrex77
February 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Cool. I'd like to see App play Charlotte but it won't happen without a home and home.

I see no reason why we shouldn't have a home and home series.... playing in Charlotte would be, basically, a home game for App and would be a much shorter drive for me.

SpeedkingATL
February 4th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I see no reason why we shouldn't have a home and home series.... playing in Charlotte would be, basically, a home game for App and would be a much shorter drive for me.

I agree and would expect a first year UNCC to be a better team than NC A&T and SavSt most years.

ccd494
February 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM

In the early to mid '00s Maine, Montana and Northern Colorado set up a three team, two year "Battle of the Bears" home and home series with each other. If I remember chatter on here, Montana's AD either got himself ****canned or almost got himself ****canned due to the expense of the trip out east.

SoCon48
February 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM

But not against UNC-C until you get a decent rep. Now if you want to come to Boone in place of Savannah State, I think something could be arranged. After playing in front of 105K at Ann Arbor, I don't think we need to be impressed.

VBR_Productions
February 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Old Dominion paid Cal-Poly upwards of $50K for them to play in Norfolk. They agreed it was not a home-and-home. Cal-Poly has been top 25 so they're no slouches. I'm not sure what about the concept is funny or degrading.

SoCon48
February 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Typical unfounded snobby statement from an Eloner. How have the past few seasons turned out for you vs App?

VBR_Productions
February 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
As to the original poster's question I think it's been addressed pretty well. The CAA has multiple top 25 teams so scheduling such a tough OOC opponent on a one-and-done basis doesn't make sense. The conference won't get easier when Old Dominion and Georgia State join and get a couple recruiting classes cycled through.

elon77
February 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Typical unfounded snobby statement from an Eloner. How have the past few seasons turned out for you vs App?

Don't get your felt hat in a bunch 48, I was just kidding. I believe us Eloner's have taken plenty of verbal abuse the last few years. I don't think I have ever been offended, it's pretty much all in fun. Trust me, the sun is still going to come up tomorrow, you need to lighten up. As far as the last few season's, I actually thought the last 2 games in Boone were pretty good games, not so much the last two at Elon. Hey I can remember when you would put 40, 50, 60 on us. Was that more fun for you then? Don't answer that.

App-a-latch-un
February 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Umm, okay precious, you don't have a full schedule yet, you've never played a game, and you're telling me what you do and don't do. Appalachian may invite you to come play at The Rock, we may schedule a home and home waaay down the road, but our first meeting would be in Boone. We rarely play an OOC game on the road unless it is FBS, last FCS OOC game we played was JMU (CAA) in '08, which is a rivalry now, we wouldn't travel to play a weak 49er team. We have plans for home/home games with Montana and McNeese in the near future, so home/home with Charlotte looks pretty bleak. The 49ers coming up to Boone for a cupcake game is most likely.

elon77
February 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Umm, okay precious, you don't have a full schedule yet, you've never played a game, and you're telling me what you do and don't do. Appalachian may invite you to come play at The Rock, we may schedule a home and home waaay down the road, but our first meeting would be in Boone. We rarely play an OOC game on the road unless it is FBS, last FCS OOC game we played was JMU (CAA) in '08, which is a rivalry now, we wouldn't travel to play a weak 49er team. We have plans for home/home games with Montana and McNeese in the near future, so home/home with Charlotte looks pretty bleak. The 49ers coming up to Boone for a cupcake game is most likely.

I like that, precious. That's pretty funny.

49RFootballNow
February 4th, 2011, 03:34 PM

I guess we won't be playing anytime soon then. Our AD is only interested in home and homes at least till we join a conference, and there's zero benefit for us to just play you in Boone. I think your AD and Coach Moore might see a home and home with one game in Charlotte in a much better light then some of you do, but we'll see. I haven't said anything here that didn't come straight from our AD. As Independents for the time being we are only, rightfully, interested in home and homes. Makes zero sense for us to schedule a local FCS school for an away game.

henfan
February 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I beg to differ..... small stadiums with small crowds make a difference (not that the games couldn't be just as exciting and entertaining). (see below)

That is my point. Even though we probably break even on the away trip, the home game would be extremely lucrative. Yes, we basically fill the stadium for most home games, but I would be surprised if the stadium seams weren't bursting for the game with Montana(as well as any other strong FCS opponent). [Of course this pertains to regular season. We all know what happens during play-offs, unfortunately.]

I'll re-iterate that road guarantees for FCS home-home deals are approximately the cost of travel expenses. When you consider that ASU is giving up big home game revenue or an FBS guarantee to make a trip to Missoula, it's not a winning financial proposition. And I would venture to guess that KBS attendance might only get a marginal boost when the Griz roll into town, maybe slightly more than when any other opponent comes in. Unfortunately, these FCS intersectional matchups don't usually provide big financial boosts to ADs. That's but one of the reasons Delaware isn't in a hurry to schedule these type of games, especially if a single game involves the cost of a round-trip charter flight.

Accelerati Incredibilus
February 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM

You obviously don't know much about UNCC. They still think they are a basketball power based on a run to the Final Four back in the 70's. I grew up here and have a lot of friends and high school classmates who went to school there. Some of the most arrogant fans you will ever run across and I've yet to understand why.

I haven't heard anything come out of the mouth of anyone at ASU regarding CAA schools turning games down. Not saying this didn't take place, but this seems like a lot of speculation more than anything else.

49erfootballnow, The only series ASU will be playing in Charlotte any time soon will be against ECU.

49RFootballNow
February 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
You obviously don't know much about UNCC. They still think they are a basketball power based on a run to the Final Four back in the 70's. I grew up here and have a lot of friends and high school classmates who went to school there. Some of the most arrogant fans you will ever run across and I've yet to understand why.

Well we **** gold bricks and piss reisling. Makes it easy to be arrogant.

49erfootballnow, The only series ASU will be playing in Charlotte any time soon will be against ECU.

What's ECU's motivation to play an FCS school away from Greenville? App will go to Greenville any time invited. ECU will only go to Charlotte to play another FBS who's worth their time to NOT have a home game with them.

SideLine Shooter
February 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I'll re-iterate that road guarantees for FCS home-home deals are approximately the cost of travel expenses. When you consider that ASU is giving up big home game revenue or an FBS guarantee to make a trip to Missoula, it's not a winning financial proposition. And I would venture to guess that KBS attendance might only get a marginal boost when the Griz roll into town, maybe slightly more than when any other opponent comes in. Unfortunately, these FCS intersectional matchups don't usually provide big financial boosts to ADs. That's but one of the reasons Delaware isn't in a hurry to schedule these type of games, especially if a single game involves the cost of a round-trip charter flight.

Agreed, save it for the playoffs. That is where it belongs.

ngineer
February 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Was UNH one of the teams contacted? I think it would be cool to get a home and home with App State. It obviously makes our schedule a lot harder, but you have to beat the best if you want to be the best. Plus I think having App State at UNH the year after would be a nice headliner to get a big crowd at Cowell.

The problem is that only applies when you're in the playoffs. With the type of schedule the CAA teams have to run through in their league, they are already playing a lot of top-tier teams. Most schools will schedule a game where they are favored or, if not, for an ulterior reason. A PL school would jump at the chance with nothing to lose as we'd be expected to lose, but the chance of a major upset and a challenging 'step up' game would be great. However, not much incentive for ASU, so their stuck in a hard place. An ASU-Lehigh game would give rise to a 'neers v. 'neers' contest (using Lehigh's traditional moniker of Engineers). Been a few years since we played a SoCon.

Redhawk2010
February 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Makes zero sense for us to schedule a local FCS school for an away game.

I would love it if no other FCS school would agree to go to your school. Why should they? If they are an established program, then they should get the benefit. It's like what Boise State is going through right now. They have to travel the country to play BCS schools because very few (if any) are willing to make the trip to the Blue Turf. Then what would your AD do? Just schedule a bunch of nobodies?

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM
What's ECU's motivation to play an FCS school away from Greenville? App will go to Greenville any time invited. ECU will only go to Charlotte to play another FBS who's worth their time to NOT have a home game with them.

That's the same exact way App feels about Charlotte, you might as well be division 2 right now.

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM

I haven't heard anything come out of the mouth of anyone at ASU regarding CAA schools turning games down. Not saying this didn't take place, but this seems like a lot of speculation more than anything else.

I grew up in Charlotte and have seen first hand what UNCC is. The majority of it's students are from Charlotte. It's hard to explain why Charlotte people think they are hot ***** because they live in Charlotte, but they do. Has something to do with it being in the south, sprawling everywhere, with a few big city characteristics, and people living in mint hill, even rock hill, saying they are from Charlotte. So you have all these kids who grew up in "Charlotte," go to college in "Charlotte," (UNCC isn't actually located in Charlotte, like many things that claim to be in Charlotte, but are actually eslewhere) and still live with mommy and daddy and commute everyday. Which results in a bunch of kids who never get out of their high school mentality/clique lifestyle. They think the earth revolves around them cause that's all they know. It's hard to tell many of them that the world is bigger than Mecklenburg county. So all these kids know each other from High School and still live at home and commute, transition to college is seamless as if high school never ended. There is no growth or exploration of self and the world that many people get who go off to college, even if it's 1 hour down the road, it's important as part of the college experience.

There is no connected campus feeling when you are there, people show up, go to class, then leave. You don't feel like you are at a real university, it feels much more like a community college and looks it too.

This is why I don't think Charlotte will flourish with a football team. Kids will have to get up and commute back to campus after commuting all week, and probably pay to park to go to a game with kids they've seen everyday of their lives since elementary school. .

I know tons of people who have gone there, I've been there plenty of times, and growing up in Charlotte I've seen this first hand all my life so I'm not just talking trash. There are plenty of good people who attend the university, but this is just UNCC's condition and why they are the way they are.

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
That's the same exact way App feels about Charlotte, you might as well be division 2 right now.

Then you don't have to schedule us, ever. I think it would be a good series to have but if not; no Charlotte fan, including me, would care one way or the other. This isn't bringing a N. Arizona across the country. We are 100 miles apart and there's a lot of benefits to App to make an appearance in the QC. Home and home also has the great benefit of being equitable.

I would love it if no other FCS school would agree to go to your school. Why should they? If they are an established program, then they should get the benefit. It's like what Boise State is going through right now. They have to travel the country to play BCS schools because very few (if any) are willing to make the trip to the Blue Turf. Then what would your AD do? Just schedule a bunch of nobodies?

I guess the concept of two teams playing each other at both places is just too much for some simple folks to understand.

I grew up in Charlotte and have seen first hand what UNCC is. The majority of it's students are from Charlotte. It's hard to explain why Charlotte people think they are hot ***** because they live in Charlotte, but they do. Has something to do with it being in the south, sprawling everywhere, with a few big city characteristics, and people living in mint hill, even rock hill, saying they are from Charlotte. So you have all these kids who grew up in "Charlotte," go to college in "Charlotte," (UNCC isn't actually located in Charlotte, like many things that claim to be in Charlotte, but are actually eslewhere) and still live with mommy and daddy and commute everyday. Which results in a bunch of kids who never get out of their high school mentality/clique lifestyle. They think the earth revolves around them cause that's all they know. It's hard to tell many of them that the world is bigger than Mecklenburg county. So all these kids know each other from High School and still live at home and commute, transition to college is seamless as if high school never ended. There is no growth or exploration of self and the world that many people get who go off to college, even if it's 1 hour down the road, it's important as part of the college experience.

There is no connected campus feeling when you are there, people show up, go to class, then leave. You don't feel like you are at a real university, it feels much more like a community college and looks it too.

This is why I don't think Charlotte will flourish with a football team. Kids will have to get up and commute back to campus after commuting all week, and probably pay to park to go to a game with kids they've seen everyday of their lives since elementary school. .

I know tons of people who have gone there, I've been there plenty of times, and growing up in Charlotte I've seen this first hand all my life so I'm not just talking trash. There are plenty of good people who attend the university, but this is just UNCC's condition and why they are the way they are.

This is a stereotype of an outside view and probably could just as easily be applied to every college in the nation including App. 70% of UNC Charlotte students live on campus or 5 miles from it.

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Then you don't have to schedule us, ever. I think it would be a good series to have but if not; no Charlotte fan, including me, would care one way or the other. This isn't bringing a N. Arizona across the country. We are 100 miles apart and there's a lot of benefits to App to make an appearance in the QC. Home and home also has the great benefit of being equitable.

I guess the concept of two teams playing each other at both places is just too much for some simple folks to understand.

This is a stereotype of an outside view and probably could just as easily be applied to every college in the nation including App. 70% of UNC Charlotte students live on campus or 5 miles from it.

Where do you get your info?

http://facilities.uncc.edu/49ergreen/transportation.htm

The Eagle's Cliff
February 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Substitute Atlanta and Ga State for the city and school and it's the same thing from our perspective.

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Where do you get your info?

http://facilities.uncc.edu/49ergreen/transportation.htm

http://masterplan.uncc.edu/

Your link says 40% of RESPONDANTS live 10 miles or more. That's only folks who responded to the inquiry.

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
http://masterplan.uncc.edu/

Your link says 40% of RESPONDANTS live 10 miles or more. That's only folks who responded to the inquiry.

Also says "Highlights from the 2007 Transport Survey reinforce the commuter nature of the UNC Charlotte Campus," It's a survey by UNCC, UNCC itself says it's a commuter campus. So you think Charlotte, a University, did a survey of itself and somehow managed to not get a good sample of it's student population.

If you click YOUR link, go to the reports section> UNCC Transportation Element Draft 4.pdf>Transportation Element of Campus Master Plan>Existing Transportation conditions. It mentions this survey of 7,190 respondents, 83% commute, and it states that "A
significant number of students commute from as far as two counties away, or more than 30 miles"

You have 24,700 students, 5,000 live on campus, that's 20%, so 80% commute, you say 5 miles away, well from end to end that's ten miles. Hell if you lived at Charlotte Motor speedway, that's 4.5 miles away. If 70 percent live within 5 miles, that's leaves 30%, 7,410 students living further than 5 miles away. It is a commuter school!

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Also says "Highlights from the 2007 Transport Survey reinforce the commuter nature of the UNC Charlotte Campus," It's a survey by UNCC, UNCC itself says it's a commuter campus. So you think Charlotte, a University, did a survey of itself and somehow managed to not get a good sample of it's student population.

If you click YOUR link, go to the reports section> UNCC Transportation Element Draft 4.pdf>Transportation Element of Campus Master Plan>Existing Transportation conditions. It mentions this survey of 7,190 respondents, 83% commute, and it states that "A
significant number of students commute from as far as two counties away, or more than 30 miles"

You have 24,700 students, 5,000 live on campus, that's 20%, so 80% commute, you say 5 miles away, well from end to end that's ten miles. Hell if you lived at Charlotte Motor speedway, that's 4.5 miles away. If 70 percent live within 5 miles, that's leaves 30%, 7,410 students living further than 5 miles away. It is a commuter school!

..............and? So some folks commute and some live on campus and some live within 5 miles of campus in 1 of over 100+ apartment complexes. Seems like a well rounded university that services its community and its needs.

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
..............and? So some folks commute and some live on campus and some live within 5 miles of campus in 1 of over 100+ apartment complexes. Seems like a well rounded university that services its community and its needs.

Did I ask if it was well rounded or care what it does for the community. Change the subject why don't you. You said originally that it was a stereotype, it's not. You said it it could apply to App, well 38% of App students live on campus, that's almost double the percentage of students compared to Charlotte. I wrote about the condition of UNCC and you haven't begun to change my impressions, just reinforce it.

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Did I ask if it was well rounded or care what it does for the community. Change the subject why don't you. You said originally that it was a stereotype, it's not. You said it it could apply to App, well 38% of App students live on campus, that's almost double the percentage of students compared to Charlotte. I wrote about the condition of UNCC and you haven't begun to change my impressions, just reinforce it.

Charlotte allows students more living options than Boone. That's a no brainer. I'm not worried about our football program's future or the future of this university. Hope to see your school on the gridiron.

SoCon48
February 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Name one of those benefits we would get playing in a high school stadium filled with our own ASU fans.

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Name one of those benefits we would get playing in a high school stadium filled with our own ASU fans.

WOW, 15,000 seats equals a high school stadium? Now that's precious.

wr70beh
February 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM

You've obviously never been to Texas. That's a medium sized HS stadium there.

49RFootballNow
February 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
You've obviously never been to Texas. That's a medium sized HS stadium there.

Yes, in Texas there are a few high schools with stadiums nearly as big as App's.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/cap_index.php

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quite a few here

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/conference/index.html

App-a-latch-un
February 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Yes, in Texas there are a few high schools with stadiums nearly as big as App's.

Ha pizza hut park is included in that list

jmufan999
February 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
why doesn't app state just grow some balls and play some road games if you want the CAA so badly?

Redhawk2010
February 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM
why doesn't app state just grow some balls and play some road games if you want the CAA so badly?

As that can be said both ways apparently. If these CAA schools have all said they won't play an OOC away game unless it's FBS. Maybe every conference should go to 11 teams. You play 10 conference games and one FBS game and call it a season.

whitey
February 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
As for UNC, if it is for next year, that's BS (about not scheduling FCS since they played us) but I think they had already scheduled JMU and then backed out for a money game against Louisville.

It was off for a while but UNC ultimately decided to stick with the original contract. JMU @ UNC September 3rd.

SideLine Shooter
February 6th, 2011, 04:05 PM

What about the unmarked cemetary on the site of the UNCC Stadium?

SoCon48
February 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM

You mean like at Michigan, Auburn, Va Tech, NC State, ECU, Marshall, Wake Forest, Clemson, Hawaii, Wyoming, LSU ????????

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
This is a stereotype of an outside view and probably could just as easily be applied to every college in the nation including App.

I took classes at UNC Charlotte a few years after graduating from App when I lived in Charlotte and was going through a career change. I'd say App-a-latch-an is 100% correct and 49RFootballNow is a prime example of the attitude. App and UNCC are VERY different atmospheres. Most of the people I encountered at UNCC were like me, part-timers taking classes for work.

App State won't be playing at UNCC. FBS programs don't play at FCS stadiums.

49RFootballNow
February 6th, 2011, 08:52 PM
What about the unmarked cemetary on the site of the Charlotte 49er Stadium?

There's 2 of those actually and the plots are separated by the front of Hayes Baseball Stadium. The closer of the two to the Football Center is represented by the hashed lined rectangle in the bottom left of the picture below.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/965241.jpg

I took classes at UNC Charlotte a few years after graduating from App when I lived in Charlotte and was going through a career change. I'd say App-a-latch-an is 100% correct and 49RFootballNow is a prime example of the attitude. App and UNC Charlotte are VERY different atmospheres. Most of the people I encountered at UNC Charlotte were like me, part-timers taking classes for work.

Sounds like you took graduate classes and they probably were mostly in the evening. I'm not surprised you encountered working adults that were there just for classes. All schools have that when they serve large population areas. I'm good with having a positive attitude about my Alma Mater.

App State won't be playing at UNC Charlotte. FBS programs don't play at FCS stadiums.

Good luck in the Sun Belt. Wish App all the best.

cmaxwellgsu
February 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Still quite a bit less than the big boys in FCS including App....so you would be the visiting team if you play them.

SoCon48
February 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
There's 2 of those actually and the plots are separated by the front of Hayes Baseball Stadium. The closer of the two to the Football Center is represented by the hashed lined rectangle in the bottom left of the picture below.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/965241.jpg

Sounds like you took graduate classes and they probably were mostly in the evening. I'm not surprised you encountered working adults that were there just for classes. All schools have that when they serve large population areas. I'm good with having a positive attitude about my Alma Mater.

Good luck in the Sun Belt. Wish App all the best.

The AD has already noted that we won't be in the Sun Belt. Nice try.

SoCon48
February 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM

AL Brown is close at least in attendance for certain games.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The AD has already noted that we won't be in the Sun Belt. Nice try.

Ok, then the MAC, though 15 with UMass would be a lot.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your school, but I just looked and realized you guys don't play a game until 2013?? Seriously? I absolutely loathe App St., but you might want to tone down the smack against the Mountaineers until you actually have at least a water boy on the team.

BTW, "49ers" is OK, but given the school's origin as Charlotte Center of University of North Carolina, why didn't the nickname just come from pronouncing CCUNC?xshhhx

Fact ain't smack. No one from FCS not named Villanova is moving past the Sun Belt "level" without making a multi-year stop there.

Saint3333
February 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your school, but I just looked and realized you guys don't play a game until 2013?? Seriously? I absolutely loathe App St., but you might want to tone down the smack against the Mountaineers until you actually have at least a water boy on the team.

BTW, "49ers" is OK, but given the school's origin as Charlotte Center of University of North Carolina, why didn't the nickname just come from pronouncing CCUNC?xshhhx

"From 1804 to 1828 all domestic gold coined by the United States Mint came from North Carolina. During that time thousands of foreign immigrants poured into the Piedmont area. North Carolina was known as the 'Golden State.' "[1]

Gold mining was once second only to agriculture as North Carolina's most important industry. It started in 1799 with the discovery of a large nugget on the Cabarrus County farm of John Reed, a former Hessian soldier. For three years the hunk was used as a doorstop. Finally, a jeweler recognized it as a 17-pound gold nugget. [2] Thus began the first gold rush in America!

http://ils.unc.edu/nclibs/davidson/Davidson%20County%20Mining.htm

UNCC is close to Concord (Cabarrus County) where it all started, hince the name 49ers.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM
"From 1804 to 1828 all domestic gold coined by the United States Mint came from North Carolina. During that time thousands of foreign immigrants poured into the Piedmont area. North Carolina was known as the 'Golden State.' "[1]

Gold mining was once second only to agriculture as North Carolina's most important industry. It started in 1799 with the discovery of a large nugget on the Cabarrus County farm of John Reed, a former Hessian soldier. For three years the hunk was used as a doorstop. Finally, a jeweler recognized it as a 17-pound gold nugget. [2] Thus began the first gold rush in America!

http://ils.unc.edu/nclibs/davidson/Davidson%20County%20Mining.htm

UNC Charlotte is close to Concord (Cabarrus County) where it all started, hince the name 49ers.

This, plus the Center was saved from closure in 1949 and renamed Charlotte College.

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=26

UAalum72
February 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I thought it was because the campus is on Highway 49.

App-a-latch-un
February 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Fact ain't smack. No one from FCS not named Villanova is moving past the Sun Belt "level" without making a multi-year stop there.

WOW! You sure state a lot of absolutes. Sorry Georgia State Fans, this guy takes the cake, at least you guys HAVE a football team! xbangx

proasu89
February 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM

xlolx

glsjunior
February 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM

In Georgia it is. This is where I played H.S. Football. And that was 20 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeKalb_Memorial_Stadium

Rekdiver
February 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the responses...everyone but the Charlotte college guy.....I'm sure we will play you, probably be in a conference with you in the future but you are going to go through some painful times and I am positive we will be the deliverer of some of that pain.....and we will enjoy it.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the responses...everyone but the Charlotte college guy.....I'm sure we will play you, probably be in a conference with you in the future but you are going to go through some painful times and I am positive we will be the deliverer of some of that pain.....and we will enjoy it.

Well App will have to schedule us first and that means a Home and Home, which was the reason this thread took it's initial downward trend in the first place. Sure it will be a fun series if it happens.

tribe_pride
February 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Well App will have to schedule us first and that means a Home and Home, which was the reason this thread took it's initial downward trend in the first place. Sure it will be a fun series if it happens.

To be fair to App. State, this thread was not even supposed to be about Charlotte (see the title).

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
To be fair to App. State, this thread was not even supposed to be about Charlotte (see the title).

That too could be subjective. We very well may be CAA members in 2015.

cmaxwellgsu
February 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
In Georgia it is. This is where I played H.S. Football. And that was 20 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeKalb_Memorial_Stadium

You also have two down in Valdosta. When Valdosta and Lowndes play, it draws about 20,000.

T-Dog
February 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Ok, then the MAC, though 15 with UMass would be a lot.

Considering our AD said the Sun Belt and MAC were "glorified FCS conferences" in a public interview, I'd say we're not going to either one anytime soon.

As for a potential game, we already have two non-conference road games in 2013 in Montana and Georgia. We go to McNeese in 2014 so I doubt we're willing to take a road game at Charlotte. So the only way will be a one-and-done deal at App just like you're basketball team will now only take a one-and-done deal at home with us.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Considering our AD said the Sun Belt and MAC were "glorified FCS conferences" in a public interview, I'd say we're not going to either one anytime soon.

As for a potential game, we already have two non-conference road games in 2013 in Montana and Georgia. We go to McNeese in 2014 so I doubt we're willing to take a road game at Charlotte. So the only way will be a one-and-done deal at App just like you're basketball team will now only take a one-and-done deal at home with us.

Sad, cause we won't be seeing each other in either sport then. We have played basketball in Boone several times, last time you guys even won.

T-Dog
February 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Sad, cause we won't be seeing each other in either sport then. We have played basketball in Boone several times, last time you guys even won.

That's why I said NOW as something changed after 2007. I was at the last App/UNCC game. Great atmosphere which App won in 2OT.

However, the people running Charlotte CURRENTLY only want either a home-game only or a 2-for-1 in basketball now and we're only interested in home-and-home series with you guys.

Plus we very well might be a transitional FBS team by the time you start up in 2013 so playing at an FCS team wouldn't happen.

Saint3333
February 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
What does ASU owe UNCC? I don't get it.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
What does ASU owe UNCC? I don't get it.

Don't think anyone said App owed us anything.

AppMan
February 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM

I have made a copy of this comment and recorded the date it was made. I'll get back to you in June to see how accurate you were.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have made a copy of this comment and recorded the date it was made. I'll get back to you in June to see how accurate you were.

Oh please do!

Saint3333
February 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Does UNCC have a message board?

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM

I have no idea if the United Nations Compensation Commission has a message board.

Saint3333
February 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Oh great so we're going there now. Instead of answering a simple question you want to debate the name of your school. Your website address is home.uncc.edu and yes the name of your college is UNC at Charlotte or UNCC for short. You are proving to be the typical UNCC fan I'm known to grow and love here in Queen City.

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Oh great so we're going there now. Instead of answering a simple question you want to debate the name of your school. Your website address is home.uncc.edu and yes the name of your college is UNC at Charlotte or UNCC for short. You are proving to be the typical UNCC fan I'm known to grow and love here in Queen City.

ninernation.net
ninerpride.net
ninerreport.com
There's also a little used Scout board as well.

StorminASU
February 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
What is it about niner fans? They ask a question, someone poses an answer they don't like, they change their question to make it seem like they knew the answer, but in doing so pose another question, only to have it rebutted as well. Then they completely change the initial question and make it seem like you were answering something no one asked. After this they resort to childish games of no that's not our name (Just face it, UNCC is your name to the rest of the nation) and stop touching me, mom he's touching me. Let's get Tate Forcier's Dad serious on you (49RFootballNow) here:

FACT: ASU does not owe UNCC one single thought about a home game until they play 5-10 years and stop sucking because they will suck. It's called pecking order. We're better than you. I don't want to hear about how you don't have a team, we don't know who's better. We don't travel to lesser opponents...unless they're SOCON members :)
FACT: After that we don't owe you a game until you take a dose of your own medicine and quit being so hipocritical. UNCC won't schedule a home-home series with ASU in basketball or baseball, so why in the hell would we owe you a home-home series in football?
FACT: That little high school-esk stadium you got happening would only hold Appfans if we did come down there...so where do all the UNCC fans sit?
FACT: You need to shut your mouth and stop being so cocky until you actually win a game.

49RFootballNow
February 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
What is it about niner fans? They ask a question, someone poses an answer they don't like, they change their question to make it seem like they knew the answer, but in doing so pose another question, only to have it rebutted as well. Then they completely change the initial question and make it seem like you were answering something no one asked. After this they resort to childish games of no that's not our name (Just face it, UNCC is your name to the rest of the nation) and stop touching me, mom he's touching me. Let's get Tate Forcier's Dad serious on you (49RFootballNow) here:

FACT: ASU does not owe UNCC one single thought about a home game until they play 5-10 years and stop sucking because they will suck. It's called pecking order. We're better than you. I don't want to hear about how you don't have a team, we don't know who's better. We don't travel to lesser opponents...unless they're SOCON members :)
FACT: After that we don't owe you a game until you take a dose of your own medicine and quit being so hipocritical. UNCC won't schedule a home-home series with ASU in basketball or baseball, so why in the hell would we owe you a home-home series in football?
FACT: That little high school-esk stadium you got happening would only hold Appfans if we did come down there...so where do all the UNCC fans sit?
FACT: You need to shut your mouth and stop being so cocky until you actually win a game.

HAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh.

Now tell me all about App's TV market.

App-a-latch-un
February 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM

pwnd

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have no idea if the United Nations Compensation Commission has a message board.

Good lord, now this thread crossed the line into complete non-sense.

VBR_Productions
February 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Good lord, now this thread crossed the line into complete non-sense.

The thread's original question was answered and debated fairly objectively between ASU and CAA fans. The foundation for nonsense was established when a Charlotte fan made an unsolicited post about ASU not scheduling the 49ers on the second page, when their program had nothing to do with the original question or any previous response in the thread.

Here's a thought. For college basketball, ESPN has the Big Ten/ACC challenge as well as Bracket Buster weekend. Could the "powers that be" coordinate some sort of SoCon vs CAA challenge early in the football season prior to conference play? It would be challenging for some teams. As an example, William and Mary typically plays one FBS team and VMI, leaving only one OOC game for their schedule. Would their AD accept being forced into scheduling a SoCon team for the last OOC game? Maybe it could be done every third/fourth year to allow flexibility.

Tribal
February 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM

A few things:
Against W&M 1-2 xnodx
I doubt very seriously ASU approached W&M and W&M said no.
UNC plays FCS schools because W&M played them last season and they're playing JMU this season.

T-Dog
February 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM
A few things:
Against W&M 1-2 xnodx
UNC plays FCS schools because W&M played them last season and they're playing JMU this season.

I heard W&M declined because it was a one-and-done trip with no return and W&M didn't want jsut 4 home games this year, which is understandable.

I'm not saying UNC doesn't play FCS schools, I'm saying that's an excuse they told us. (Recently, I've also heard that UNC wanted to schedule us but we'd make more on a home game).

blukeys
February 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Is there a reason not to rename this thread?? Delaware and ASU had talks about a home and home some years ago and I thought there might be some real news here. It seems this is about Charlotte and ASU. Can't we start a thread on just that???

Saint3333
February 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
A few things:
Against W&M 1-2 xnodx

UNC-CH doesn't play in-state schools in revenue sports, unwritten policy for them.

The Moody1
February 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM
HAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh.

Now tell me all about App's TV market.

Since ASU is in the same TV market as UNCC it seems you would know all about it.

http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/north_carolina.gif

StorminASU
February 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Ma...h_carolina.gif
Now I don't pretend to be a tech guru, but it seems this link provided by TheMoody1 and the MMB shows Charlotte and ASU in the same TV market...huh? So let me turn your own question back on you; tell me what would keep ASU from using the TV market it's already in? We have a huge amount of alumni in the Charlotte area and throughout this market region that would love more "primetime" (used loosely and rather humourously) coverage. Oh and btw, where in my remarks did I mention TV? Does your utter lack of response to anything I said point to the fact, you're an overinflated blow hard UNCC fan that thinks, somehow, their program is going to clear the learning curve and win a championship the first year, forcing all ASU alumni to bow before the might UNCC 69er hammer?

49RFootballNow
February 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Since ASU is in the same TV market as UNCC it seems you would know all about it.

http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/north_carolina.gif

Sure, App is in the Charlotte TV market, the end of it with no people (aka TV sets). I'm sure there's some statistic out there that shows the "huge amount of alumni", per StorminASU, App has in the Charlotte area; but I imagine its in the 30,000 to 40,000 range on a good day for that entire Charlotte TV market. Even if you assume a half as much more non-alumni fans watching (and that's a very generous estimation) that's still only 60,000 fans and probably 30,000 TV sets. Really don't think ESPN/ABC, Fox Sports or CBS are going to want to give CUSA or any other FBS conference more money for such a small percentage of the Charlotte TV market.

App has the same problem ECU has, no measurable TV market. And as App is not on TV as much as ECU they can't even use individual game tracking viewing performance as alternative data. Any discussion of bringing App into an FBS conference will by nature involve that conference having to ignore TV revenue increases as a factor as there is no possible way to determine that statistic in App's home TV market or regional/nation-wide. That means that any conference looking to increase its TV revenue as primary motivation for adding/expanding, basically anyone above the MAC and Sun Belt, will look for a market they don't already have (ECU has this market for CUSA) to add. In that case a FAU, FIU to replace a UCF or a La Tech, Middle Tennessee to expand their TV footprint.

Saint3333
February 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
FACT 1: ASU and UNCC are both in the Charlotte TV market.

FACT 2: Both are well behind UNC-CH, Duke, NCSU, Clemson, etc. when it comes to viewership in the Charlotte market.

I live in south Charlotte, ASU and UNCC are nice side stories to the majority of people in this area.

And yes there is a map showing all 100K ASU alumni.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/AlumniMap/framemap.htm

Let's not pretend that either school will dominate the Charlotte market. The point is ASU is in the same TV market as you guys so let's try not to proclaim that is a huge advantage for UNCC.

The Moody1
February 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
"Sure, App is in the Charlotte TV market, the end of it with no people (aka TV sets)"

It doesn't matter where you are located within the TV market the numbers of potential viewers is identical. IMO- An ASU game will draw many more viewers in the CLT market than UNCC. Plus we would outdraw UNCC in the Aheville, Greensboro, and Raleigh markets.

StorminASU
February 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Well that about wraps up arguments about TV market. Lets see what off-the-wall response/question the ol' UNCC person has now??? :D

49RFootballNow
February 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Ma...h_carolina.gif
Now I don't pretend to be a tech guru, but it seems this link provided by TheMoody1 and the MMB shows Charlotte and ASU in the same TV market...huh? So let me turn your own question back on you; tell me what would keep ASU from using the TV market it's already in? We have a huge amount of alumni in the Charlotte area and throughout this market region that would love more "primetime" (used loosely and rather humourously) coverage.

See the above comments. I'm surprised ASU fans aren't claiming Knoxville and Blacksburg as TV markets considering distance plays no part in your thinking. App is in Charlotte's TV market because there aren't enough TV sets in the area your school is located in to justfy creating a new MDA for it.

As for your "huge amount of alumni in the Charlotte area", here's your own alumni association figures:

NC Total: 73,271, next most populous App grad state: SC with 4145

Now here's the Charlotte area (Mecklenburg, Gaston, Lincoln, Catawba, Iredell, Cabarras, Union, York SC) with Forsyth and Buncombe thrown in for good measure.

Freaking HUGE dude!!!!

Oh and btw, where in my remarks did I mention TV? Does your utter lack of response to anything I said point to the fact, you're an overinflated blow hard UNCC fan that thinks, somehow, their program is going to clear the learning curve and win a championship the first year, forcing all ASU alumni to bow before the might UNCC 69er hammer?

Did I say YOU or anyone mentioned TV. TV market claims for App fans are like how Charlotte fans feel about the name UNCC. We may hate it but sadly enough that is still our name and sadly enough App doesn't have a real TV market.

I made no claims that we would jump past App or join a FBS conference in less than 10 years. I'm not the one on here that thinks three lower level championships from 4 and more years ago and beating a horrible Michigan team will somehow magically equate to jumping out of FCS and past 3 established FBS conferences into CUSA.

The Moody1
February 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
"and beating a horrible Michigan team"

It is amazing how this same horrible Michigan team created so many NFL players and spanked Florida in their bowl game.

Saint3333
February 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM
How many alums does UNCC have?

Errors with your post - ASU does have the Charlotte TV market, how can you debate this FACT (see my post above about how much that really means for us and UNCC). The horrible Michigan team wasn't horrible, get your facts straight and at least act like you are knowledgable about football. Please name the 3 FBS conference in our area between the SoCon and CUSA, I know about the MAC and Sun Belt, still looking for the third one.

How about we make a deal? Until you guys actually suit up and play a football game ASU fans will stop responding to you guys while you plan your take over of all things football related and you'll let civil discussions about ASU football continue here without ignorant comments such as those in this thread.

49RFootballNow
February 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM

It is amazing how this same horrible Michigan team created so many NFL players and spanked Florida in their bowl game.

I was actually very happy for App St and all of you fans when this game occured, I was watching it with the rest of you. I have met very rational App fans who took this win for what it was. A great upset over a ranked BCS team on opening week at their place. Sadly, some other App fans think they killed a King and now they have that King's throne.

FACT 1: ASU and UNCC are both in the Charlotte TV market.

FACT 2: Both are well behind UNC-CH, Duke, NCSU, Clemson, etc. when it comes to viewership in the Charlotte market.

I live in south Charlotte, ASU and UNCC are nice side stories to the majority of people in this area.

And yes there is a map showing all 100K ASU alumni.

Let's not pretend that either school will dominate the Charlotte market. The point is ASU is in the same TV market as you guys so let's try not to proclaim that is a huge advantage for UNCC.

Didn't proclaim Charlotte had any advantage other than location near the population center of the Charlotte market. Otherwise I can agree with everything else you said in this post.

How many alums does UNCC have?

Errors with your post - ASU does have the Charlotte TV market, how can you debate this FACT (see my post above about how much that really means for us and UNCC). The horrible Michigan team wasn't horrible, get your facts straight and at least act like you are knowledgable about football. Please name the 3 FBS conference in our area between the SoCon and CUSA, I know about the MAC and Sun Belt, still looking for the third one.

How about we make a deal? Until you guys actually suit up and play a football game ASU fans will stop responding to you guys while you plan your take over of all things football related and you'll let civil discussions about ASU football continue here without ignorant comments such as those in this thread.

Then you contradict yourself and claim the Charlotte TV market? Was I debating the fact that App was in the Charlotte DMA? NO

Was I stating your share of it was negligible and would mean nothing to an FBS conference? YES

WAC will take anyone these days. App of course unlikely; but they are still in the pecking order between CUSA and the SoCon nationally.

I have yet to see anything "uncivil" in this thread.

boonedocks
February 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well they sucked in college as the rest of that year and the next showed.

Wrong...care to check again and get back to us?

SoCon48
February 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Horrible Michigan team? That guy needs to find a new hobby as he doesn't know ***** about college football. Of course that makes sense since his school never had a football team.

49RFootballNow
February 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Wrong...care to check again and get back to us?

I stand corrected and can admit when I am wrong. They only sucked the next year.

2007: 9-4 (6-2)
2008: 3-9 (2-6)

StorminASU
February 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Well the next year isn't when we beat them is it? If you stand back and look at it from 3,000 ft. you're including next year's stats to make you not look like you're an idiot UNCC fan...mission failed. We would garner a TV following because our name is widely known (and increasingly so) and we can kick @$$ in football. Further more, the team we played in Ann Arbor went on to beat the brakes off the Florida Gators one year after (and before coincidentally) they won the National Championship. Lastly, why are you already knocking on the level of football that your own school is going to be competing in?
"I'm not the one on here that thinks three lower level championships from 4 and more years ago and beating a horrible Michigan team will somehow magically equate to jumping out of FCS and past 3 established FBS conferences into CUSA." As badly as UNCC 69ers are going to beaten the first few years, I believe I would start talking about the high level of competition you will be seeing to make yourselves look a little better.

boonedocks
February 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Anywho, I for one actually hope the Niners and Mountaineers might make an attractive package to a FBS conference.

But, we could also get back to ASU vs CAA scheduling. At any rate, you have to love the offseason.

WUTNDITWAA
February 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Charlotte can lay claim to one thing ASU can't. App's never been kicked out of Conference USA.

49RFootballNow
February 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Anywho, I for one actually hope the Niners and Mountaineers might make an attractive package to a FBS conference.

But, we could also get back to ASU vs CAA scheduling. At any rate, you have to love the offseason.

I hope so too.

AAadict
February 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Why won't the CAA schedule ASU? The CAA is skeeeerrrrred. Years ago ASU won some titles. I guess everyone is still scared except a banged up Villanova team that whipped ASU in their own stadium after spotting them a touchdown.

Horseshoe App
February 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Why won't the CAA schedule ASU? The CAA is skeeeerrrrred. Years ago ASU won some titles. I guess everyone is still scared except a banged up Villanova team that whipped ASU in their own stadium after spotting them a touchdown.

I guess they had better luck than Delaware. I trying to think how many times Delaware beat us.xconfusedx

Aho_Old_Guy
February 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM

Congratulations on your logical fallacy (being that playoff games are not really 'scheduled', now, are they?).

And speaking of spotting points, that worked out really well for E-Dub, did it not?

xlolx

ASU_Fanatic
February 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I heard we might drop Savanah State for Cal. I've also heard from a few people that it is very likely we are moving to the C-USA, who knows though.

AAadict
February 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I guess they had better luck than Delaware. I trying to think how many times Delaware beat us.xconfusedx

We took a pretty good whippin' from ASU in '07'. One of the best FCS teams in modern history for sure. Hens '03' team was much better. You should convince your AD to get a trip to Newark on your schedule. Love Boone but last time I was in your stadium (05) we had to use port-o-potty in the end zone.

AAadict
February 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Congratulations on your logical fallacy (being that playoff games are not really 'scheduled', now, are they?).

And speaking of spotting points, that worked out really well for E-Dub, did it not?

xlolx

"E-Dub" deserved the win. Unfortunately Pat Devin thought the game was over in the 3rd quarter and decided to show the media his arm on 3rd & 3. Crosby open over the middle but Pat threw 30+ yards to a covered receiver. Then EWU took over. I hate that they beat us but I really like that team and their fans.

Horseshoe App
February 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
We took a pretty good whippin' from ASU in '07'. One of the best FCS teams in modern history for sure. Hens '03' team was much better. You should convince your AD to get a trip to Newark on your schedule. Love Boone but last time I was in your stadium (05) we had to use port-o-potty in the end zone.

The Stadium is pretty awesome now. No port-o-potties. It is now better than alot of FBS stadiums than I have been in. Are you saying the 03 Delaware team was better than the 07 App team or the 07 Delaware team? If you think the 03 team is better than the 07 App team, that must have been an awesome team. We pretty much schooled you in 07. I was there and met some fine people cheering for Delaware. Anyway, opinions are opinions and subjective. It is so hard to say which team was better year to year.xpeacexxpeacex

SoCon48
February 12th, 2011, 09:29 PM
The Stadium is pretty awesome now. No port-o-potties. It is now better than alot of FBS stadiums than I have been in. Are you saying the 03 Delaware team was better than the 07 App team or the 07 Delaware team? If you think the 03 team is better than the 07 App team, that must have been an awesome team. We pretty much schooled you in 07. I was there and met some fine people cheering for Delaware. Anyway, opinions are opinions and subjective. It is so hard to say which team was better year to year.xpeacexxpeacex

It took Charlie Cobb a long time, but he finally got rid of the fiberglass out houses at KBS.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
It took Cobb a long time? Cobb may not do everything right (who does). But anyone complaining about what he has done for facilities is way off base.

ThompsonThe
February 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Where would we fit in on your schedule? Right between Chowan and the Campbell Camels? Many of us are from Charlotte, a football game in Charlotte in the fall isn't nearly as inviting as a football game in Boone. The High Country is something special in the fall.
I hope the best for UNCC's football program, but not being able to sell just over three thousand PSL's two years or more into it, when the stated minimum was 5,000 in six months doesn't seem to bode well for the program.
You keep discussing TV market, but a school being on the edge of a large city doesn't mean anything unless there is a willing public that wants to see that product. You seem to be counting on that like it is gold in the vault. Just as UNCC for years concentrated on basketball figuring that they would be world beaters because they didn't play football, they now feel that they will be world beaters in football just because they are located on the edge of Charlotte. There are plenty of football playing schools in large cities that never do squat. Good luck though.

SideLine Shooter
February 13th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I am just having a real hard time believing that the SEC is not on UNCC's doorstep begging them to join them since they have such a rich athletic tradition.

This has nothing to do w/CAA and ASU. Let the dead horse rest.

AAadict
February 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Are you saying the 03 Delaware team was better than the 07 App team or the 07 Delaware ..xpeacexxpeacex

Not saying either team is better. Our '03' team was pretty awesome and beat a very good Navy team in their own stadium without our best defensive back (inj:Mike Adams who has been in the NFL since 2004). Your '07' team was equally awesome. I have no idea which team was actually better.
Let's just say it would be awesome if our AD's could work out a Boone & Newark series. I would travel back to Boone. The drive takes forever but the tailgating makes it worth it.

49RFootballNow
February 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Where would we fit in on your schedule? Right between Chowan and the Campbell Camels? Many of us are from Charlotte, a football game in Charlotte in the fall isn't nearly as inviting as a football game in Boone. The High Country is something special in the fall.
I hope the best for UNCC's football program, but not being able to sell just over three thousand PSL's two years or more into it, when the stated minimum was 5,000 in six months doesn't seem to bode well for the program.
You keep discussing TV market, but a school being on the edge of a large city doesn't mean anything unless there is a willing public that wants to see that product. You seem to be counting on that like it is gold in the vault. Just as UNCC for years concentrated on basketball figuring that they would be world beaters because they didn't play football, they now feel that they will be world beaters in football just because they are located on the edge of Charlotte. There are plenty of football playing schools in large cities that never do squat. Good luck though.

Selling 3500 FSLs at between $1000 and $2500 before the program was even official, much less before hiring a coach or putting one shovel in the ground, is impressive no matter how you try to spin it. That's $4.5 million dollars for something that until April 28th is nothing but paper. Folks can keeping dragging out the fact we have 1500 yet to sell but we a 2.5 years before kickoff. The remaining 30% will be sold by then. It's a lot easier to sell a product that exists then one that has yet to be built. If someone would like to educate me on another FCS program that has asked anywhere near $1000 dollars a piece from it's fans in startup cash, please do. I have yet to see any other program that asked near that much. I think in this economy we have quite frankly done stellar to get the $5.8 million we have raised so far.

ASU_Fanatic
February 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
UNCC won't be any where near our level for at least the first 10 years of their program. I mean USF really just got a stroke of luck, Levitt was obviously a great coach and recruiter. You're not gonna be able to pull in recruits over us and I see no way you guys work your way into the FBS within the first 20 years of your program at least.

Sort of off topic but how do all the other App fans feel about the C-USA, I'm hearing this is more than just a rumor, I've heard from a few sources that we're taking a hard look at this. I personally would be psyched. I'm hearing us and JMU could be doing it together, that would be sweet. Rivalries renewed with Marshall and ECU? Heck yes! I wish it would be GSU that would move up with us instead though.

ThompsonThe
February 14th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Spin it as you will but when told that you had to sell 5,000 within six months to show that there was enough interest in UNCC football and over two years later you have sold just over 3/5ths of that doesn't sound as if there is that much interest. Also you had programs going that people didn't have to send any money for years. All this with a bunch of wanna be ex-panther players running around helping you sell those that you did with their tongues hanging out wanting to be named a college football coach. Just saying.

Apphole
February 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I predict a 48-17 win for the mighty Campbell Camels

Rekdiver
February 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM
UNCC is a sleeping giant. It will be the largest school in the largest market between Atlanta and Boston. The upside is incredible. If this were an IPO I think most people would want in and I want ASU and UNCC to be part of the same FBS conference and would like to see ECU in there as well. Recruiting will hurt ACC schools and will make inroads into recruit rich SEC country. I would accomodate UNCC with a home and home series. Either way its good for App.

ThompsonThe
February 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Considering the UNCC fans I have met on the board, I wouldn't want to "accomodate" them with dog poo.

49RFootballNow
February 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Spin it as you will but when told that you had to sell 5,000 within six months to show that there was enough interest in 49er football and over two years later you have sold just over 3/5ths of that doesn't sound as if there is that much interest. Also you had programs going that people didn't have to send any money for years. All this with a bunch of wanna be ex-panther players running around helping you sell those that you did with their tongues hanging out wanting to be named a college football coach. Just saying.

First, no such thing as UNCC Football or UNC Charlotte Football. There's Charlotte 49ers Football or 49ers Football. That's 70% or 7/10ths for the math imparied, not 3/5ths. We have no program where people send the money in years later. You either had to send in a yearly payment of 1/4th the seat price each May or much later a monthly autodraft feature was added. We had Minter and Rucker on the "team" but as far as I know they showed up at one meeting. Rucker filmed a breif spot sent out to alumni via email, and Minter has been on a self promotion tour. I have yet to hear Minter attempt to sell one FSL or if he even has a clue what that is.

I'll be the first person to admitt that our Chancellor and AD flubbed the whole FSL thing. It's a concept that to my knowledge has never been tried at the collegiate level and probably shouldn't be tried again unless its a BCS level program. Our Chancellor didn't want football to begin with and tried to use FSLs to dampen the effort. In this economy and with a reluctant leader and virtually no advertisement, we've done great. I'll not defend our admin or AD, they have done mediocre at best and that is the average sentiment among the fans.

Considering the Charlotte fans I have met on the board, I wouldn't want to "accomodate" them with dog poo.

I try not to judge the whole App fan base by a few folks I have met here; however, I do believe several of you are experts in dog poo.

Rekdiver
February 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM
YOu are either part of the solution or part of the problem..........

Semantics....University of North Carolina at Charlotte = UNCC and you are right..ther is no such thing as Uncc football. It does not exist except on paper and we all know you are trying to divert attention from the UNCC basketball team's struggles.........which by the way does not want to schedule ASU. And a poor chice of words on my part...I should have said throw them a bone instead of accomodate......

Cutting through all of the "poo" though it is good for ASU to be aligned with Charlotte.........and visa versa.........

SoCon48
February 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
First, no such thing as UNCC Football or UNC Charlotte Football. There's Charlotte 49ers Football or 49ers Football. That's 70% or 7/10ths for the math imparied, not 3/5ths. We have no program where people send the money in years later. You either had to send in a yearly payment of 1/4th the seat price each May or much later a monthly autodraft feature was added. We had Minter and Rucker on the "team" but as far as I know they showed up at one meeting. Rucker filmed a breif spot sent out to alumni via email, and Minter has been on a self promotion tour. I have yet to hear Minter attempt to sell one FSL or if he even has a clue what that is.

I'll be the first person to admitt that our Chancellor and AD flubbed the whole FSL thing. It's a concept that to my knowledge has never been tried at the collegiate level and probably shouldn't be tried again unless its a BCS level program. Our Chancellor didn't want football to begin with and tried to use FSLs to dampen the effort. In this economy and with a reluctant leader and virtually no advertisement, we've done great. I'll not defend our admin or AD, they have done mediocre at best and that is the average sentiment among the fans.

I try not to judge the whole App fan base by a few folks I have met here; however, I do believe several of you are experts in dog poo.

With an overwhelming majoriy of your funding coming from the State of NC. You're UNC-Charlotte whether you admit it or not.

SoCon48
February 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
It took Cobb a long time? Cobb may not do everything right (who does). But anyone complaining about what he has done for facilities is way off base.

He certainly has with student fees.

SoCon48
February 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Selling 3500 FSLs at between $1000 and $2500 before the program was even official, much less before hiring a coach or putting one shovel in the ground, is impressive no matter how you try to spin it. That's $4.5 million dollars for something that until April 28th is nothing but paper. Folks can keeping dragging out the fact we have 1500 yet to sell but we a 2.5 years before kickoff. The remaining 30% will be sold by then. It's a lot easier to sell a product that exists then one that has yet to be built. If someone would like to educate me on another FCS program that has asked anywhere near $1000 dollars a piece from it's fans in startup cash, please do. I have yet to see any other program that asked near that much. I think in this economy we have quite frankly done stellar to get the $5.8 million we have raised so far.

With the list of patsies you have scheduled, I predict success.

SoCon48
February 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Spin it as you will but when told that you had to sell 5,000 within six months to show that there was enough interest in UNCC football and over two years later you have sold just over 3/5ths of that doesn't sound as if there is that much interest. Also you had programs going that people didn't have to send any money for years. All this with a bunch of wanna be ex-panther players running around helping you sell those that you did with their tongues hanging out wanting to be named a college football coach. Just saying.

<snicker>

SpeedkingATL
February 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
What has UNCC got to do with CAA teams scheduling ASU?? Have they joined the CAA for football and I missed it??

StorminASU
February 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
First, no such thing as UNCC Football or UNC Charlotte Football. There's Charlotte 49ers Football or 49ers Football.

Would you shut up with the semantics. You're UNCC. It's going to be UNCC football when it gets here. In 25+ years, when you get a game on ESPN 8, they will have UNCC vs. GWU in the little score boxes at the bottom. Get over yourself.

Umpire
February 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Okay then.

Warnings have been handed out. If you want to resort to smack, then take it to the smack forum.

Since it's the off-season, we'll let the App/Charlotte discussion commence.

However if this starts to drift off again, then more warnings and/or penalties will be handed out and this thread will be moved to Smack.

49RFootballNow
February 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
FYI

The official legal name of the athletics department in Charlotte 49ers

The University is UNC Charlotte

It's the same naming concept as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina Tarheels.

Apphole
February 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM
FYI

It's the same naming concept as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina Tarheels.

Aka UNC?

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Would you shut up with the semantics. You're UNCC. It's going to be UNCC football when it gets here. In 25+ years, when you get a game on ESPN 8, they will have UNCC vs. GWU in the little score boxes at the bottom. Get over yourself.

YOu know, perhaps you're right. So, from here forward would you prefer we call your school UNC-Boone or UNC-Tweetsie?

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
With an overwhelming majoriy of your funding coming from the State of NC. You're UNC-Charlotte whether you admit it or not.

No more so than you are UNC-Boone.

Saint3333
February 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM
You do realize that makes no sense? UNCC is the official name of your school.

I can't believe we are debating this.

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 07:40 AM

While its obvious you are only attempting to flame about Charlotte's efforts you do still need to be corrected. The stated goal was actually not 5,000 FSLs. The true "goal" was to raise "approximately" $5M from FSL sales and the assumption was that number would equate to 5,000 since initially the FSLs were going to be $1,000 each. However, they eventually decided to also offer a $2,500 FSL option. We have currently raised $4.5M just from the FSL sales (in a terrible economy with 2.5 years to go before kick-off) with the total number of FSLs sold around 3500. Clearly, money was the "real goal", in fact it actually is better financially to raise $4.5M from selling 3500 seats that to raise the same amount of money from selling 5000 isn't it? They do offer math courses at ASU don't they?
We have also raised $2M+ in corporate dollars with MANY more corporate deals still in the works including stadium, field and fieldhouse naming rights which are estimated to bring in several more million.

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
WRONG!!!!UNCC is not the "official" name of the school. In fact, the "official" school name is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and the only "official" UNC system abbreviation for our campus is UNC Charlotte (note: no hyphen either).

You do realize that Athletic Departments can "market themselves" and trademark whatever names they choose as ours did officially in August 2000, right? You do realize UNC Chapel Hill is NOT "UNC" right? I assume you always call them UNC-Chapel Hill and not "North Carolina" right?

Saint3333
February 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Your website is www.uncc.edu.

And yes I always refer to UNC-CH as such. Those guys on the hill aren't the only university in North Carolina. There is a UNCW, UNCG, UNCA, and yep a UNCC. I'm not sure why UNCC fans are so insecure about that? Be proud that you're part of one of the best state public school systems in the country.

Our official name is Appalachian State University, but ASU, App State, or App works for us. This really isn't a hard concept. UNCC has less letters than Charlotte (plus it could also be confused with the city I live in). Time to move on.

SoCon48
February 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
FYI

I know, but I think it is pretentious and ungrateful to the system.

SoCon48
February 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
WRONG!!!!UNCC is not the "official" name of the school. In fact, the "official" school name is the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and the only "official" UNC system abbreviation for our campus is UNC Charlotte (note: no hyphen either).

You do realize that Athletic Departments can "market themselves" and trademark whatever names they choose as ours did officially in August 2000, right? You do realize UNC Chapel Hill is NOT "UNC" right? I assume you always call them UNC-Chapel Hill and not "North Carolina" right?

Yes, as a matter of fact.

SoCon48
February 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
FYI

But they are the flag ship university in the system.

Apphole
February 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
We have to stop humoring these UNCC people. They have devolved this topic into an argument about the fact the The University of North Carolina in Charlotte doesn't start with a U an N a C and a C. This a thread about App. We need to stop encouraging an FCS bottom feeder. It's clear they have a bad case of little man syndrome. The Napolean complex. Let's take the high road and ignore the rabble rabble rabble until UNCC can field a team that could compete with us in a few decades.

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Your website is www.uncc.edu.

And yes I always refer to UNC-CH as such. Those guys on the hill aren't the only university in North Carolina. There is a UNCW, UNCG, UNCA, and yep a UNCC. I'm not sure why UNCC fans are so insecure about that? Be proud that you're part of one of the best state public school systems in the country.

Our official name is Appalachian State University, but ASU, App State, or App works for us. This really isn't a hard concept. UNCC has less letters than Charlotte (plus it could also be confused with the city I live in). Time to move on.

Gee, I wondered how long it would take for someone to pull up the "website" name. Website domain names are abbreviated all the time. This has absolutely Zero bearing with what the "official" school name is. You UNC-Tweetsie guys are hilarious. It is actually pretty amusing to hear Appy fans looking down at Charlotte fans.....that is classic. Yeah, we have "little" man syndrome, right. You do realize our athletic program as a whole (your football program is stout, in FCS) absolutely puts yours to shame right. I mean, come on. Lets see, just off the top of my head Charlotte has done the following (and btw, these are all at the TOP D1 level):

Mens BBall Final Four (1977)
Mens BBall At-large invites 11 times and multiple top 25 rankings (including 9 times in a 12 year period)
Mens Soccer Final Four (1996)
Mens Golf (Top 10 finish 2 years in a row, Top 20 4-5 years in a row, NCAAs 6 straight....including time ranked #1 in nation during 2007-08).
Multiple Womens BBall post season bids (including 7 years in a row or NCAA or NIT)
Multiple NCAA Baseball bids and national rankings

just off the top of my head.....now for Ap, 3 FCS football titles and .......????

Saint3333
February 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
No one is looking down on you by calling you UNCC, that is your name, arguing differently makes you sound insecure.

91Niner
February 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
No one is looking down on you by calling you UNCC, that is your name, arguing differently makes you sound insecure.

You couldn't be more wrong and thats the point.It is NOT our official name in any regards, athletics or academics. So, when someone knows that and still makes a point to use that name (which is incorrect----believe me, our school has addressed this many times and sent out press releases reminding the media that it is indeed incorrect to refer to our school as "UNCC") they are the ones being "petty" and trying intentionally to annoy. Has nothing to do with "insecurity" and everything to do with showing respect to our school.

49RFootballNow
February 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I know, but I think it is pretentious and ungrateful to the system.

What does that even mean? "Ungrateful to the system"?

You mean the system that keeps UNC Charlotte and ECU at the bottom in per student funding?

You mean the system that puts a fake medical program in our city just to keep us from having a medical school?

You're right, we sure are ungrateful for that!

I'm sorry, I forgot it was the time of year the black and gold clothes go in the closet and App fans break out their light blue for basketball season.

Skjellyfetti
February 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Why are fans of startup programs so obnoxious? Last year it was Georgia State... this year UNCC. xsmhx

Saint3333
February 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Some ASU fans don't like to be called "Appy", but hey it happens. You did it earlier, but I'm past that.

Last post from me on the subject. I will continue to call you guys UNCC, it is the shortest form I can use and everyone I know (remember I live in Charlotte) refers to you guys as UNCC. It isn't an insult, it is an abbreviation. Wow I can't wait for you guys to actually how something important to discuss here, this is ridiculous.

Umpire
February 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
This argument is now beyond ridiculous. Start another thread in smack if you please.

Apphole
February 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Gee, I wondered how long it would take for someone to pull up the "website" name. Website domain names are abbreviated all the time. This has absolutely Zero bearing with what the "official" school name is. You UNC-Tweetsie guys are hilarious. It is actually pretty amusing to hear Appy fans looking down at Charlotte fans.....that is classic. Yeah, we have "little" man syndrome, right. You do realize our athletic program as a whole (your football program is stout, in FCS) absolutely puts yours to shame right. I mean, come on. Lets see, just off the top of my head Charlotte has done the following (and btw, these are all at the TOP D1 level):

Mens BBall Final Four (1977)
Mens BBall At-large invites 11 times and multiple top 25 rankings (including 9 times in a 12 year period)
Mens Soccer Final Four (1996)
Mens Golf (Top 10 finish 2 years in a row, Top 20 4-5 years in a row, NCAAs 6 straight....including time ranked #1 in nation during 2007-08).
Multiple Womens BBall post season bids (including 7 years in a row or NCAA or NIT)
Multiple NCAA Baseball bids and national rankings

just off the top of my head.....now for Ap, 3 FCS football titles and .......????

It is clear that these people are delusional. I have learned throughout my life to never argue with a delusional person. A preponderance of evidence presented and decided by an omnipotent judge could not convince these people that their school and fetal football program isn’t the golden child of North Carolina. I could remind them that we compete for and win national championships; that the last time our schools met in the UNCC flagship sport of basketball, ASU won. That our baseball, cross-country, track, and most others had won conference championships in recent years. The nation as a whole could unanimously vote to his contrary yet he would still hold tightly to his school’s fluke, deep NCAA tournament birth. All the while secretly wishing he could have gotten into App and gone away from home for college. It is a lost cause gentlemen. There is nothing left to do, but watch and laugh from the mountains over Charlotte as they fall to D-II school after D-II school.