PDA

View Full Version : UNI AD - Finalist for New Mexico AD Job

TexasTerror
February 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
What's the word from the UNI folks on AGS? Hartzell really has led UNI to major success on the basketball court and the football field. New Mexico from reading the article does a great job attendance-wise and academically for their sports. Rudy Davalos, who is a Southwest Texas alum really did a great job there.

So you think Hartzell will leave his sweet gig at UNI for a spot at New Mexico?

Hartzell finalist for New Mexico job
By DOUG NEWHOFF, Sports Editor

CEDAR FALLS --- Over the past six years, the University of Northern Iowa has achieved unparalleled athletic success both on and off the fields of play.

The University of New Mexico has taken notice. Friday, the Lobos announced that Panther athletic director Rick Hartzell is one of three finalists to succeed retiring UNM athletic director Rudy Davalos.

Hartzell joins Bowling Green athletic director Paul Krebs and Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus as finalists from a pool of 39 candidates. The school plans to conduct on-campus interviews March 1, 3 and 7 when the candidates will meet with New Mexico's coaches, as well as faculty, administrative, student and media representatives.

At UNI, Hartzell has been the main architect of a run that has included a runner-up finish in the NCAA Division I-AA football playoffs, two straight appearances in the NCAA men's basketball tournament with a third bid likely, NCAA success in volleyball, track and field and wrestling and two WNIT appearances by the women's basketball program.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2006/02/24/news/breaking_news/doc43ffc5974fb07338679619.txt

nmatsen
February 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Couple of things,

Rick has a very established "Big Time" officiating gig with big 10 and ACC basketball. Will New Mexico let him keep officiating? My thoughts, probably so or he would't be this far in the interview process.

Everyone should go check out www.panthernation.com right now. Between the basketball team dropping a couple of games and our Basketball coach "surely leaving for the University of Iowa" (rumor of course). Now that Hartzell is possibly leaving the place is just nuts. Our moderators are ready to declare martial law!

TexasTerror
February 25th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I saw Hartzell officiate the SHSU game against the Univ of Houston. It's amazing that he's allowed to do this on top of his AD responsibilities. How he finds the time is beyond me. That's an interesting point you bring up, I may have to "surf" the PantherNation now...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Northern Iowa to New Mexico - Now that's a hell of a climate change there!

Cap'n Cat
February 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Northern Iowa to New Mexico - Now that's a hell of a climate change there!

Expensive one, too!!