PDA

View Full Version : Patsy Ratings - A Call For Recruiting Priorities

carney2
February 2nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I need - on something of an ASAP basis - a list of your Patriot League school's top 3 recruiting priorities. I don't know if the Patsy Ratings will continue, but just in case.

Remember, I am not asking what you feel your team needs in the upcoming season. (Realistically, how many freshmen make an impact with the varsity?) The question is WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR 2012, AND ESPECIALLY, 2013 AND 2014?

I'll start with Lafayette:

1. QB
2. RB
3. DL

Notice that they are prioritized, not just listed.

Thanks in advance.

Bogus Megapardus
February 2nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Lafayette:

1. CB
2. DT/NT
3. Stud QB

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Lehigh:

1. DB
2. OL
3. toss-up: between DL and LB ngineer, could you tiebreak?

carney2
February 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Lafayette:

1. CB
2. DT/NT
3. Stud QB

Sorry, Bogie, I'm pretty set on this. Only Andy can change my mind - and he'd better come equipped with logic.

breezy
February 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
For Holy Cross --

1. QB (the 2011 roster will have 3 senior QBs, although one is eligible for a medical redshirt, so future depth is essential).

2. DB (graduated four seniors this year; need to add depth).

3. DL (graduated five seniors this year; need especially to add defensive ends).

DFW HOYA
February 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Georgetown:

1. RB (particularly a FB)
2. DB
3. LB

Twentysix
February 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
You refer to yourselves as patsy's? I always thought that was a cupcake scheduling joke.

van
February 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
1. DL
2. QB
3. RB, (OL and LB right behind RB)

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Colgate:
DL
QB
DB

Fordham
February 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Fordham:

WR

DB

LB

CFBfan
February 3rd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Georgetown:

1. RB (particularly a FB)
2. DB
3. LB

with a spread offense i don't think that GU really uses a FB?

ngineer
February 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
For Lehigh I see our longterm priorities as follows:

1. LB
2. OL
3. DL

With the 3-4, we need depth at LB and current recruiting information seems to bear out this view with a good number of 'very athletic' types being mentioned. Some may cross over with the DBs. Always need to be reloading the with quality hogs up front. From what I know, our RB stable looks decent for the next few years, with some depth at WR as well. We're fine for the next two years at QB, and the current frosh has gotten good reviews; so while we're always looking for the 'stud QB', I don't see it as a 'priority'. I note Lehigh has a P/K listed in this year's class, so I haven't listed the special teams position at the moment.

ngineer
February 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
We're strong enough to poke fun at ourselves in recognition of how most of FCS world looks at us. I don't think UNI sees us as patsies.

Franks Tanks
February 3rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
Sorry, Bogie, I'm pretty set on this. Only Andy can change my mind - and he'd better come equipped with logic.

In the chat I think Frank said his priorities were OL, QB, and LB's. Shouldnt we use that?

Bogus Megapardus
February 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
In the chat I think Frank said his priorities were OL, QB, and LB's. Shouldnt we use that?

Meh. What does Tavani know?

carney2
February 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM

That's kind of like waiting until after the 2012 presidential election and then predicting who will win. Besides, there is always the possibility that, after the fact, a coach slants his comments a little to justify what he actually got.

Franks Tanks
February 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
That's kind of like waiting until after the 2012 presidential election and then predicting who will win. Besides, there is always the possibility that, after the fact, a coach slants his comments a little to justify what he actually got.

No doubt, but perhaps for once you can slant the Patsy ranking in our favor!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
No doubt, but perhaps for once you can slant the Patsy ranking in our favor!

A certain E. Stroudsburg linebacker will be helping your Patsy rating this year anyway.

The question is: did Tavani do the hard sell to him in order to weaken Lehigh's Patsy rating, and bolster his own? xlolx

LUHawker
February 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Bogie,

If I remember correctly, this past season would have been the first one where we could compare the rankings from four years ago to how the season played out. Can you dig up the inaugural ranking so we can see how good it is as a predictive gauge?

Thanks

TheValleyRaider
February 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Colgate:
DL
QB
DB

I agree with the defensive suggestions, though I'm not sure QB is quite as high

There are still 3 on the roster after Sullivan, and we're picking one or two up anyway. I'm not yet prepared to say that's a real need compared to other parts of the team

I would look at RB and OL on the offensive side, and list the top three as:
DB
OL
DL

breezy
February 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
A side question for Carney --

It seems to me that Scout.com has revised its system. Previously, all recruits were at least 1*. Now, rather than 1*, 2*, etc., many recruits are "NR" (not rated). Ratings now begin at 2*.

Will "NR" recruits be treated the same as 1* recruits in previous years?

ngineer
February 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Lehigh class is supposedly being announced this coming Tuesday. Coen always holds off about a week since we usually get a few recruits who were waiting to see if they may be getting schollies from some lesser FBS schools or scholarship FCS, and get left out. So we'll see what pans out later this week.

DFW HOYA
February 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM
General PL question: Georgetown says they cannot release lists until May. Quoting coach Kevin Kelly, back for his 6th season:

"We will not be able to officially announce our class until May (per University admissions policy and NCAA rules). The reason behind this rule is that prospects need official acceptance and have their deposit in before we can officially release names."

How (and more precisely, when) are recruits at other PL schools accepted?

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 09:13 AM
A side question for Carney --

It seems to me that Scout.com has revised its system. Previously, all recruits were at least 1*. Now, rather than 1*, 2*, etc., many recruits are "NR" (not rated). Ratings now begin at 2*.

Will "NR" recruits be treated the same as 1* recruits in previous years?

I have no details as to Scout's thinking on this. Lacking better information, a Scout mention (rating) with no stars will be treated the same as a mention (rating) with no stars by Rivals or ESPN.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM

From my comment on this on the Lafayette board - and I quote (myself):

As for listening to the coaches after the fact, the other schools will not receive that consideration, so to be fair,... It's like picking who will win an election a week after the ballots have been cast and counted. Besides, any coach with even an ounce of PR sense about him is going to toot his own horn and tell the world that he got exactly what he was after. The most informed sources are not necessarily the most reliable.

In the end I compromised with Lafayette poster Andy who was the only other Pard to offer an opinion. RB, which was on my list, was eliminated and Andy's 2nd and 3rd positions were reversed.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Meh. What does Tavani know?

Based on his handling of QBs and play calling with 1st and goal at the 2, this is not an illegitimate question.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Lehigh class is supposedly being announced this coming Tuesday. Coen always holds off about a week since we usually get a few recruits who were waiting to see if they may be getting schollies from some lesser FBS schools or scholarship FCS, and get left out. So we'll see what pans out later this week.

A note to everyone: for a number of reasons this will take longer this year. Lafayette, which I feel reaasonably comfortable with in terms of knowledge of the situation, took 4 days. Others should take at least this long. Also, Fordham was very difficult to deal with last year, primarily, I guess, because of the transfers. I have no idea what is going to happen on Rose Hill this time around.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Bogie,

If I remember correctly, this past season would have been the first one where we could compare the rankings from four years ago to how the season played out. Can you dig up the inaugural ranking so we can see how good it is as a predictive gauge?

Thanks

I really do have a day job, but I'll try to get to it. Actually, this sort of thing may be worth additional analysis and may be best left to late spring and summer - the true down time for our favorite topic of discussion (Patriot League football). My gut feel is that the ratings will not be all that good at predicting specifics such as order of finish and player of the year candidates, but may have some legitimate predictive capabilities in determining long term tends. For instance, I think that the ratings predicted the rise of Lehigh into a top position and the fall from grace by Lafayette - although neither the ratings nor anyone else predicted a 2-9 dive into the toilet by the Pards. I have one more in mind, but know that I if I don't tell people what they want to hear it creates a firestorm. I've been weathering one of those on the Lafayette board for about a week now and am absolutely not going into another pitch battle this soon again.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
A certain E. Stroudsburg linebacker will be helping your Patsy rating this year anyway.

The question is: did Tavani do the hard sell to him in order to weaken Lehigh's Patsy rating, and bolster his own? xlolx

A swing of 10 Patsy Points.

EDIT: Make that 16.

RichH2
February 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Somehow , I missed this thread last week. Anyway

1. OL

2. Athletes any position ( pref lb and db

3. Speed back for O.

Overall LU in fairy good shape. OL with only 12 returning and many of them just squad players highest priority.

WATCHING US VERSUS Harvard CAA teams we need to get more athletic and more speed everyhere but particlarly at rb

ngineer
February 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
General PL question: Georgetown says they cannot release lists until May. Quoting coach Kevin Kelly, back for his 6th season:

"We will not be able to officially announce our class until May (per University admissions policy and NCAA rules). The reason behind this rule is that prospects need official acceptance and have their deposit in before we can officially release names."

How (and more precisely, when) are recruits at other PL schools accepted?

No idea where this comes from. Not aware of any NCAA regulation prohibiting. Of course, no student can be formally accepted until he officially graduates, but the fact of making a commitment to attend and making a deposit to hold one's place certainly seems 'reportable.' Maybe G'town has some other internal rule they follow..for all sports?

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
No idea where this comes from. Not aware of any NCAA regulation prohibiting. Of course, no student can be formally accepted until he officially graduates, but the fact of making a commitment to attend and making a deposit to hold one's place certainly seems 'reportable.' Maybe G'town has some other internal rule they follow..for all sports?

Weel, I know half of the story but was curious about how other schools handled this.

Bottom line: athletes at Georgetown are not admitted early, and thus football recruits that do not formally commit until May could take another offer in the interim (and some have over the years, such as all-Big East tackle Greg Isdaner, who got an offer to walk on at WVU and took it). A regular decision student cannot deposit before April 1 in any case.

The early admission numbers skew right to the top (accepted students average top 3% of their HS class, 25% of whom scored 780 or higher on each of their SAT tests) and the decision was made not to include athletes, legacies, or transfers in the early pool.

carney2
February 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
We have at least one response from every school except Bucknell. Everyone realizes that it's hoops or no count in Buffalo, but humor us...someone(?)

ngineer
February 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
We have at least one response from every school except Bucknell. Everyone realizes that it's hoops or no count in Buffalo, but humor us...someone(?)

Where's Ken Z...he's about the only buffalo chip around here?

carney2
February 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Where's Ken Z...he's about the only buffalo chip around here?

There's also 137 and one other guy who chips in (get it?) occasionally. They're all busy composing odes of praise to hoops coach Dave Paulsen, while at the same time covering their tracks after organizing lynch mobs for him last year. It's not easy being a Buffalo. It's a good bet however, that none of the composing or organizing took place in Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium. No one ever goes over there.

carney2
February 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
If I'm forced to guess on Bucknell I'm going

1. OL
2. DL
3. LB

Their big problem throughout the Landis days was their inability to cope up front. If someone has better suggestions, please chime in.

carney2
February 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The is always time for more submissions, but there seem to be diminishing returns here, so I've counted the votes. Here is what we have:

BUCKNELL - No responses. Committee is making the call until further notice.
1. OL
2. DL
3. LB

COLGATE - two responses; both in total agreement.
1. DL
2. QB
3. DB

FORDHAM - One response, but from a trusted source.
1. WR
2. DB
3. LB

GEORGETOWN - No one better than DFW to supply this one.
1. RB
2. DB
3. LB

HOLY CROSS - Again, only one response, but again, from a trusted source.
1. QB
2. DB
3. DL

LEHIGH - Four responses. The Committe applied a weighted average.
1. OL
2. LB
3. DL

LAFAYETTE - This train has left the station.
1. QB
2. DL
3. OL

You might note that the Committee is good, but not that good. The Patsy Ratings do not distinguish CB vs. S, RB vs. FB, DE vs. DT, OLB vs. ILB, etc. Also, "Athlete" is not a category recognized by the Ratings.

RichH2
February 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
OK,, I'll petition for a full Committee meeting in the Summer to append "athlete" to the categories:). I expect full attendance and I'll bring the bourbonxshhhx.

carney2
February 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
OK,, I'll petition for a full Committee meeting in the Summer to append "athlete" to the categories:). I expect full attendance and I'll bring the bourbonxshhhx.

The Committee reacts well to bourbon. In fact, many, if not most, Patsy Ratings are bourbon induced.