PDA

View Full Version : 2011 EWU Football Schedule

dudeitsaid
January 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/11fbJan27Schedule

Wow, only 4 home games! Just a little more than a month of local Eagle football. That's rough.

Date - Opponent - Site - Tentative Time
Saturday, Sept. 3 - at Washington - Seattle, Wash.
Saturday, Sept. 10 - at South Dakota - Vermillion, S.D.
Saturday, Sept. 17 - at *Montana - Missoula, Mont.
Saturday, Sept. 24 - *Montana State - Cheney, Wash. - 4:05 p.m. (tentative)
Saturday, Oct. 1 - *%Weber State - Cheney, Wash. - 1:05 p.m. (tentative)
Saturday, Oct. 8 - at *Northern Arizona - Flagstaff, Ariz.
Saturday, Oct. 15 - *#Northern Colorado - Cheney, Wash. - 4:05 p.m. (tentative)
Saturday, Oct. 22 - at *Sacramento State - Sacramento, Calif.
Saturday, Oct. 29 - *Portland State - Cheney, Wash. - 1:05 p.m. - (tentative)
Saturday, Nov. 5 - Bye
Saturday, Nov. 12 - at Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Saturday, Nov. 19 - at *Idaho State - Pocatello, Idaho

DNewms43
January 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Why so few games on the red turf?

Wildcat80
January 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
That will be a very tough road back to the playoffs.

Squealofthepig
January 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
2009 was similar, with only five home games (including a game against Western Oregon). Hopefully with more Big Sky teams added every BSC team will have a bit more equality in yearly home games - it sucks for any team's fan base to have only four home games!

Agree it will be a tough road for the Eagles, but if they can come through that with another conference title, they'll also be very road-ready for the playoffs.

ATX_EWUGrad
January 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It's a bit surprising that they decided to take the South Dakota game on the road. All of their home games are BSC games. But to their credit, I'm very sure they could have scheduled someone lesser, but chose not to drop down just to get a home game. All BSC schools only get 3 non league games to play with. Most will tend to schedule one FBS school, and that always seems to be a road game. Washington is our FBS game this year. This leaves us two slots left. Cal Poly is a solid school, and South Dakota seems to be a middle of the road maybe slightly less. In 2012, our 3 non-BSC games are @WSU, @Idaho, and at home vs Cal Poly in the return trip of the home and home. Who knows, lets be optimistic and figure we'll have 6 or 7 home games by the end of the year when you account for the playoffs.

I do know that the South Dakota was the last slot we filled on this years schedule and maybe we had to take what we could get at this point in time. Keep in mind we had to see what schools even had an open week scheduled for September 10th that didn't already have 11 games scheduled. Maybe this was the best we could get this close to the start of the 2011 season.

darell1976
January 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM
It's a bit surprising that they decided to take the South Dakota game on the road. All of their home games are BSC games. But to their credit, I'm very sure they could have scheduled someone lesser, but chose not to drop down just to get a home game. All BSC schools only get 3 non league games to play with. Most will tend to schedule one FBS school, and that always seems to be a road game. Washington is our FBS game this year. This leaves us two slots left. Cal Poly is a solid school, and South Dakota seems to be a middle of the road maybe slightly less. In 2012, our 3 non-BSC games are @WSU, @Idaho, and at home vs Cal Poly in the return trip of the home and home. Who knows, lets be optimistic and figure we'll have 6 or 7 home games by the end of the year when you account for the playoffs.

I do know that the South Dakota was the last slot we filled on this years schedule and maybe we had to take what we could get at this point in time. Keep in mind we had to see what schools even had an open week scheduled for September 10th that didn't already have 11 games scheduled. Maybe this was the best we could get this close to the start of the 2011 season.

South Dakota is extremely tough at home, and I know that Dakotadome will be rocking do NOT take them lightly or you can put a L on the schedule.

mtbigdog
January 31st, 2011, 04:07 AM
Did the cost of season tickets go up? For only 4 home games? Griz fans are whining already because there suppose to go up next season. xsmhx xbawlingx

TheBisonator
January 31st, 2011, 02:02 PM
How much is Washington paying EWU for that game??

EdubAlum
January 31st, 2011, 04:02 PM
How much is Washington paying EWU for that game??

I haven't heard the number, but It's safe to assume it's north of 300k

dudeitsaid
January 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM

Won't Cal Poly be Big Sky in 2012? I wonder if once the BSC is 4 members stronger, we will only have 2 OOC games.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM
I feel sorry for you guys having only 4 home games coming off of a NC win. This is the year you could have really packed the stadium for every game.

MplsBison
January 31st, 2011, 10:21 PM
I haven't heard the number, but It's safe to assume it's north of 300k

EWU is probably making more money going to UW than they would with a sold out 5th home game.

EWU Grad 82
January 31st, 2011, 11:07 PM
MplsBison,

You're right, the UW game isn't the quandary for most EWU fans, we get the payday angle. What we don't get is USD on the road. That fifth home game with USD by all rights should be in Cheney. What's the advantage for the defending NC traveling to Vermillion to play another FCS team? It's not as if this is a home and home deal. USD must have paid EWU a lot of money to go there.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 31st, 2011, 11:36 PM
MplsBison,

You're right, the UW game isn't the quandary for most EWU fans, we get the payday angle. What we don't get is USD on the road. That fifth home game with USD by all rights should be in Cheney. What's the advantage for the defending NC traveling to Vermillion to play another FCS team? It's not as if this is a home and home deal. USD must have paid EWU a lot of money to go there.

Playing an in-state FBS team should be more than a payday. As silly as it is, a lot of people will see a win over Washington as a greater achievement than winning the FCS title was this year. I'm all for top level FCS teams playing a FBS team every year, as every one we win shows the rest of the country that FCS isn't small-time football, and EWU certainly has a good chance to win that game.

That being said, it's odd that your athletics department agreed to play the other two non-conference games on the road. While I certainly appreciate the strength of the schedule you have coming up this year, I'm sure the majority of EWU fans would have preferred finding a team willing to travel to Cheney for one of those games, if not both.

EWU Grad 82
February 1st, 2011, 12:31 AM
I agree EWU does have a good shot at beating UW and if they do it will most certainly more than just a payday.

Yes, it's odd that that our athletic department scheduled USD as a road game. I would rather play another northwest FBS team on the road than play USD on the road. It's not as if we have a shortage of FBS teams closer than USD. Just to name a few: Washington State, Idaho, Boise State, Oregon State, Oregon, BYU, Utah and Nevada.

EdubAlum
February 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I agree EWU does have a good shot at beating UW and if they do it will most certainly more than just a payday.

Yes, it's odd that that our athletic department scheduled USD as a road game. I would rather play another northwest FBS team on the road than play USD on the road. It's not as if we have a shortage of FBS teams closer than USD. Just to name a few: Washington State, Idaho, Boise State, Oregon State, Oregon, BYU, Utah and Nevada.

never know though, we might need that division 1 win (assuming we do beat USD of course). that being said, i think we would have a solid chance to beat the WSU and Idaho

darell1976
February 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM

At least the Dakotadome will be packed for this one. I know all the Coyote fans will be out in full force to see the NC in action, I just can't wait until UND goes to EWU I would love to see that red turf in person.