PDA

View Full Version : ULM-Grambling Two-Year Agreement

TexasTerror
January 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Really though we'd see Grambling and ULM play a game in Shreveport. Very confused on this one, as I wonder what this means for the other OOC game (if the SWAC mandate still exists in 2013 - but certainly in 2011) will consist of for the school...

MONROE, La. - The game which produced the largest on-campus collegiate football crowd in north Louisiana history will feature a second and third installment over the next three years. ULM will host Grambling State on Sept. 10, 2011, and Sept. 7, 2013, in Malone Stadium, ULM Director of Athletics Bobby Staub announced Friday afternoon in a press conference at the Monroe Convention Center.

"We're excited about our two-game series with Grambling State University," Staub said. "Our 2007 contest was an overwhelming success and provided an electric atmosphere for fans of both schools as well our student-athletes."

The first meeting between the two schools drew 30,101 fans to ULM's Malone Stadium on Nov. 20, 2007. The game established a new precedent for Football Bowl Subdivision schools in Louisiana as ULM became the first such institution to play Grambling in football - the Warhawks defeated the Tigers 28-14.

http://www.ulmwarhawks.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=205084978

superman7515
January 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
The game which produced the largest on-campus collegiate football crowd in north Louisiana history...

I understand it was well attended, but when you start getting like that you can make anything sound great... The largest on-campus attended collegiate whiffle ball crowd in south central Vancouver in the history of College U since building the new stadium on 8th Street. The more specific they have to get, the less impressive.

TSUalum05
January 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Took this from TSPN:

Financial details regarding the ULM game were also announced. “As the visiting team, Grambling will make just over $300,000 for each game with very few expenses,” stated GSU AD Lin Dawson.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2011/01/29/grambling-releases-2011-football-schedule-details-of-ulm-deal-also-announced.htm

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Interesting... $300k for each game?

ULM is certainly giving them a guarantee, plus something fixed into tickets. There's no way that ULM has the $$$ to pay a $300k guarantee, but since they are anticipating a large crowd and Grambling should deliver that, their gate will be much higher...

TSUalum05
January 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM
If 30k attend the game at an of $20.00 per ticket, Grambling is in position to make more off this game than ULM because of the cost associated with putting on the game.

The question now is how much will ULM charge to make sure they will pull in more revenue than what they are paying Grambling. No matter what, ULM will make some money but they could've easily made more by taking a guarantee against a SEC school.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
If 30k attend the game at an of $20.00 per ticket, Grambling is in position to make more off this game than ULM because of the cost associated with putting on the game.

The question now is how much will ULM charge to make sure they will pull in more revenue than what they are paying Grambling. No matter what, ULM will make some money but they could've easily made more by taking a guarantee against a SEC school.

They probably needed a game they could win.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM
$300,000 really isn't very much for a guarantee. ULM should be able to afford that--budget cuts or not.

Care to compare how much Sun Belt schools have paid FCS teams in the past? This actually may be the most paid out by a SBC school to a FCS. I would suspect that no team (outside of ticket-related assistance) got more than $225k from a SBC schools.

mikebigg
January 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM

They are probably getting a nice payday the prior week from Fla State...

TSUalum05
January 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
They are probably getting a nice payday the prior week from Fla State...

I think GSU got a great deal and this may be a winnable game...

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I don't have to know. Look at the going rates for guarantees for FCS teams. Understand that a school in the FBS level can only schedule one FCS team a year to count toward bowl eligibility. The Division II school where I'm doing my undergrad pays guarantees of $150-200K to other Division II teams for home games. I'm pretty sure the Sun Belt schools can afford more than that.

You are the same guy that continually posts bad information on the NCAA BBS, yea?

Come on man - how many FCS schools can pay guarantees of $150-200k? Heck, SBC schools have never paid more than $225k based on figures in previous articles. You are saying a Div II school can do it. Which one? Have substantive proof to back that up?

TSUalum05
January 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
You are the same guy that continually posts bad information on the NCAA BBS, yea?

Come on man - how many FCS schools can pay guarantees of $150-200k? Heck, payout and a guaranteed You are saying a Div II school can do it. Which one? Have substantive proof to back that up?

Are you sure? Do you have any substantive proof to back that up? xreadx

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
TSUAlum - don't treat me like a Southern fan. It's typically them and the above poster, who got banned from several boards that do not provide the information.

I can not find the Sun Belt payout information off-hand in my notes, especially since they limit FCS games, but can show some other examples including UCA getting $225k from Tulsa (a step above the SBC - http://thecabin.net/stories/052909/spo_0529090031.shtml) and Samford getting $250k from UCF (again, step above SBC - http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/may/31/fbs-foes-vital-socon-team-budgets/) and perhaps one of our Southern friends can remind us how much they got from Houston (believe it was in the $250k range).

Nicholls made $650k this past season in playing three guarantee games against teams from the MWC, MAC and a team on its rise to the Sun Belt. Do the math - that's not more than $215k apiece to play SDSU, Western Michigan and South Alabama (http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20101107/articles/101109418?p=all&tc=pgall).

So - if a Sun Belt team is paying $300k, that'd be really surprising... based on the evidence we have of teams from other conferences, considered a step above the SBC in many circles and clearly have deeper pockets than ULM program that would not even rank in the top three of the Southland as far as budgets go...

GAD
January 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a good deal for Grambling.

TSUalum05
January 31st, 2011, 11:11 AM
So - if a Sun Belt team is paying $300k, that'd be really surprising... based on the evidence we have of teams from other conferences, considered a step above the SBC in many circles and clearly have deeper pockets than ULM program that would not even rank in the top three of the Southland as far as budgets go...

Didn't Marlin leave the Southland for the SBC? Would that be considered a step up or step down considering the success he had in the southland?

TexasTerror
January 31st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Didn't Marlin leave the Southland for the SBC? Would that be considered a step up or step down considering the success he had in the southland?

The Sun Belt is viewed as a step up... coaches have gone straight from SBC jobs to coaching spots in the SEC (for instance). Even though that is the case, the schools at the bottom of the league from Louisiana are not as well funded as some of the Southland schools in Texas. We've already touched base before how the funding mechanisms are different...

SHSU could do the ULM model and be FBS - but it would see all of its remaining sports be non-competitive. Their VB team has been a joke since they moved and their basketball products not much better!

TheBisonator
January 31st, 2011, 02:00 PM
To the person who said their DII school pays 150-200K for home games against other DII schools, I can tell you that's flat out WRONG. Most DII schools pay other DIIs in the 30K to 70K range for guarantees. Even perennial contender and DII elite Northwest Missouri State usually pays an average of 50,000 or so for a guarantee. Hell, NDSU pays 150,000 or so on average to schools like Lafayette and St. Francis to come to the Fargodome, you're telling me that a DII school pays those types of guarantees AND MORE?? Yeah right.