PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MVFC

DJKyR0
January 27th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Two other conferences had threads, figured it's about time to start looking to next season.

Personally I think it's a toss-up between UNI and NDSU, both teams return a lot (specifically RB DJ McNorton for NDSU, QB Rennie for UNI) from playoff teams. Western Illinois loses a ton (Barr, Senatus, their D-POTY whose name escapes me). Youngstown strikes me as a team that could move up with the young (but skilled) battery they have in QB Kurt Hess and RB Adaris Bellamy, both now sophomores. Indiana State trends upwards particularly with Fouch, SDSU trends downwards after losing what looks like a ton of all-conference performers. Anyhow, here's my order without a whole heck of a lot of thought behind it, I'll put together a more well-considered list later on.

NDSU (because I'm a homer)
UNI
Illinois St.
Youngstown St.
SIU
Indiana St.
SDSU
WIU
Missouri St.

WIU and SDSU are lower than I'd meant to put them but I think SIU and ISUb will both be very much improved. Feel free to critique or comment and let's see some predictions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
NDSU -- homer also but I think we will be the best team next year
UNI
SIU
Indiana State
Illinois State
Youngstown State
SDSU
MSU
WIU

Could see another year with a lot of teams bunched up into a pack. Bison play SIU-SDSU-WIU-Ind State on the road this year.

For playoff purposes, it would be nice to have a team get a top-5 seed and have home games thru the semis. Although the Bison and Necks proved you can win on the road during the playoffs.

2011 should be an interesting year for the MV.

GO BISON

JSUBison
January 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
How do you guys think the schedule is going to work in 2012 when USD joins? My preference is going to 9 conference games.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Why is Missouri St so bad?

MplsBison
January 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
How do you guys think the schedule is going to work in 2012 when USD joins? My preference is going to 9 conference games.

Agreed.

Get rid of the Morgan St type games. 1 FBS away game and 1 home/home rotating with a quality FCS team. No exucses - to heck with a minimum 6 home games per year.

Professor Chaos
January 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Nearly positive they'll stay at 8. I believe one of the selling points for USD to the eastern schools in the MVFC like SIU and YSU is that they'll only have to make 1 trip to the Dakotas per year. That would be impossible to pull off every year if every team played every other team. I'm fairly sure teams like NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI will play each other every year and teams like InSU, YSU, SIU, and MSU will play each other every year and 1 of those teams from each group will not play each other each year. WIU and IlSU are the tweeners so not sure how they will decide who they won't play each year.

JSUBison
January 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Agreed.

Get rid of the Morgan St type games. 1 FBS away game and 1 home/home rotating with a quality FCS team. No exucses - to heck with a minimum 6 home games per year.

Well I would like to see an end to the yearly FBS games. In years where NDSU would have 5 home conference games, they could have an FBS game and one home cake game. In the years of only 4 home conference games, NDSU would bring in two money games. In a perfect world we would schedule "quality" FCS teams in the 4 home conference years, but many of these quality teams we would like to play have the same mindset as NDSU. Georgia Southern bought out the NDSU game to have a home cake team. NDSU would have a minimum of 6 home games a year, every year in my dream scenario.

I really think they need to start weening themselves off the yearly FBS, regardless. And I agree with Chaos that his scenario is what will most likely happen.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Why is Missouri St so bad?

Their year was suppose to be this year with all of their seniors back.

They lose a lot so I picked them last.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Agreed.

IMO, 8 conference games will still be the norm when USD enters the league. I like the FBS game, 2 OOC games with 4 home/4 away conference games.

99% (ones I have talked to) of Bison fans want 6 home games and NDSU is a FCS school that can do it.

GO BISON

Redhawk2010
January 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I was looking at Illinois State's schedule for 2011. Was surprised to see they don't have an FBS game on it. They have the 8 conference games, Eastern Illinois, Morehead State, and South Dakota.

PantherRob82
January 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I give it to NDSU or someone else until UNI figures out their offense. I think the QB situation will be a cancer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 27th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I give it to NDSU or someone else until UNI figures out their offense. I think the QB situation will be a cancer.

Is it Rennie's job to lose?

UNI will be right up there for the MV championship.

PantherRob82
January 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Is it Rennie's job to lose?

Who f*^&ing knows?

Sycamore51
January 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Here's my pick:

NDSU
UNI
INS
SIU
ILS
SDSU
YSU
WIU
MSU

leatherneck177
January 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I see Western as a middle of the pack team this year. The graduation of Barr, Senatus and Glazier will hurt, but they do have some talent to come off the bench for the first time in years. Recruiting has been strong and I expect one middle of the pack year before contending for the MVFC title again.

UNI Pike
January 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
UNI supposedly has a between the tackles running threat with Andre Dawson this coming year. We will see how that plays out. Unfortunately your 3 & 1 options are limited when your is QB 6'0" 200 & your main RB is 5'8" 172 (I think both set of stats are with their gear on). If Dawson is a true inside threat, that will seriously option up the read option for the offense.

If not, we are a 6-5 team.

Big Al
January 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
UNI supposedly has a between the tackles running threat with Andre Dawson this coming year. We will see how that plays out. Unfortunately your 3 & 1 options are limited when your is QB 6'0" 200 & your main RB is 5'8" 172 (I think both set of stats are with their gear on). If Dawson is a true inside threat, that will seriously option up the read option for the offense.

If not, we are a 6-5 team.

I think you nailed it -- if UNI has a tailback who is a serious threat to break a play between the tackles, this will go miles to take the load off TR. Couple that with a spring where TR can hopefully get in sync with the receivers and the offense could really open up.

Also, we need the O-line to take it back to the level that we saw when Eric Sanders and Pat Grace were under center. Maybe that's unrealistic but a step up is certainly needed.

Twentysix
January 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think you nailed it -- if UNI has a tailback who is a serious threat to break a play between the tackles, this will go miles to take the load off TR. Couple that with a spring where TR can hopefully get in sync with the receivers and the offense could really open up.

Also, we need the O-line to take it back to the level that we saw when Eric Sanders and Pat Grace were under center. Maybe that's unrealistic but a step up is certainly needed.

I like your optimism.

Lets do this movie preview style.

"In a world where UNI has a running back that weighs more than the cheerleaders..."
or
"In a world where NDSU masters the forward pass..."

Squealofthepig
January 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Not sure why everyone is so down on the Leathernecks here. I wouldn't have them at the top of the list (NDSU, UNI should again be strong), but WIU performed incredibly well this year (drawing the short straw and getting sent to The Rock in the playoffs) even though they were pretty much expected to finish at the bottom. They were a fairly senior-heavy team, but should have a bit more fan support and a taste of success, so I'd see them up more towards the middle.

Missouri State was yin to WIU's yang - expected to do pretty well, with some great senior talent last year. After starting 2-4, with two losses in overtime and another ridiculous scoring loss to Murray State, it seemed the Bears never had a chance to gain momentum after mid-season. The Bears will still probably beat some teams that they aren't supposed to (like always).

darell1976
January 30th, 2011, 03:59 PM
NDSU
UNI
SIU
SDSU
IL St
IN St
WIU
MSU
YSU

Twentysix
January 31st, 2011, 02:36 AM
NDSU - Needs a QB(or atleast better qb play) and some WR to win a national championship. 8-3 - 11-0 (I really believe 11-0, 10-1 is in the realm of possibilty's for next year, better passing game required however.)

UNI - Will rennie hold it toghether and improve, or will he fall apart? Either way the rest of UNI's team will win them lots of games. 7-4 - 9-2

IN St - I believe they still have that QB who was pretty good, more time for them to gel, very possible SIU and In st should be flipped. 7-4

IL St - I was sold on ILL St before last season started they never should have beat an at the time mediocre NDSU team. right around .500

SIU - They will be down again this year by top half MVFC standards but will still win some games. right around .500

SDSU - Lost abit, Should start better than this year but will finish worse. right around .500

YSU - YSU will be the best of the lower half with the worst coach, the 2 YSU games i watched there coach single handedly lost the game with assanine play calls late in the game (One was the NDSU game). below .500

WIU - I think they lost too much, prove me wrong. below .500

MSU - Maybe in 2 years. below .500

Sycamore51
February 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
NDSU - Needs a QB(or atleast better qb play) and some WR to win a national championship. 8-3 - 11-0 (I really believe 11-0, 10-1 is in the realm of possibilty's for next year, better passing game required however.)

UNI - Will rennie hold it toghether and improve, or will he fall apart? Either way the rest of UNI's team will win them lots of games. 7-4 - 9-2

IN St - I believe they still have that QB who was pretty good, more time for them to gel, very possible SIU and In st should be flipped. 7-4
IL St - I was sold on ILL St before last season started they never should have beat an at the time mediocre NDSU team. right around .500

SIU - They will be down again this year by top half MVFC standards but will still win some games. right around .500

SDSU - Lost abit, Should start better than this year but will finish worse. right around .500

YSU - YSU will be the best of the lower half with the worst coach, the 2 YSU games i watched there coach single handedly lost the game with assanine play calls late in the game (One was the NDSU game). below .500

WIU - I think they lost too much, prove me wrong. below .500

MSU - Maybe in 2 years. below .500

He will be back next year as will most other players. We only graduated 6 players I believe, and not all were starters.

Twentysix
February 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I hope In St can be the 3rd team into the playoffs this year from MVFC. That would be great for the sycs. I also really hope NDSU makes it :P

gotrees
February 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
He will be back next year as will most other players. We only graduated 6 players I believe, and not all were starters.
I believe the only starters ISU lost from graduation were WR Bryan Kent, OL Pat Burke, and RB Darius Gates. We wont have any problems filling those holes either. RB Shakir Bell will be a sophmore next year, he rushed for nearly 700 yards averaging 7 yds per carry last year as a freshman behind Gates.
Should be a playoff year for the Sycamores!

Dude101010
February 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Wow....... the lack of love for YSU is stunning. they are bringing in 35 new players this year with one of the best recruiting classes in all FCS. with the exception of the penn state game every game they played was within 10 points and they had the worst defense and special teams in the history of college football. 26 of the 35 recruits are on the defensive side including 10 junior college / transfers who will step in as immediate starters. This team is much better then last years talent wise right now...... the future is bright in youngstown

Professor Chaos
February 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Wow....... the lack of love for YSU is stunning. they are bringing in 35 new players this year with one of the best recruiting classes in all FCS. with the exception of the penn state game every game they played was within 10 points and they had the worst defense and special teams in the history of college football. 26 of the 35 recruits are on the defensive side including 10 junior college / transfers who will step in as immediate starters. This team is much better then last years talent wise right now...... the future is bright in youngstown
That isn't necessarily a good thing.

Ranking FCS teams in the preseason is based a lot more off of last year's success and returning players than incoming players and for good reason. Saying you have "one of the best recruiting classes in all FCS" is naive because there are a lot of good players identified by FCS coaching staffs around the country that have no stars on Rivals or ESPN and 98% of other FCS fans have never heard of. The recruiting sites are not a good judge of a FCS recruiting class because they don't care enough to rate recruits that aren't deemed FBS quality if they're not being recruited by FBS coaching staffs or aren't in a high exposure high school league.

JSUBison
February 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM

In my breakdown of next year's NDSU schedule, I picked YSU to beat NDSU in the dome, FWIW.

Daved
February 4th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Wow....... the lack of love for YSU is stunning. they are bringing in 35 new players this year with one of the best recruiting classes in all FCS. with the exception of the penn state game every game they played was within 10 points and they had the worst defense and special teams in the history of college football. 26 of the 35 recruits are on the defensive side including 10 junior college / transfers who will step in as immediate starters. This team is much better then last years talent wise right now...... the future is bright in youngstownYSU will be a totally different team this year as many of the new recruits will be starters--recruiting is the new coaches strong point--according to one of our message board critics this is the best recruiting class he has seen since he has followed YSU football in the last 31 years.I agree with Sycamore on some of the close games we gave away but since we will actually have a defense this year we will be able to afford those giveaways and still emerge victorious.Glad to see experienced posters pick us for last--believe it or not this will be the first year in over a decade that I haven't penned in a L ahead of time for our UNI game!

UNI Pike
February 4th, 2011, 06:38 PM
YSU & MSU have consistently had the best recruiting classes for how many years now? They are the Cubs of the MVFC.

Last year was definitely a down year for the quality of the "top tier" teams in the MVFC compared to the past decade. UNI, NDSU, & WIU were definitely teams with glaring flaws. SIU flat out imploded.

UNI should be addressing its lack of a power running back, a QB that knows more that 15 plays, and a place kicker. NDSU flat out needs to get away from the Chicago Bears' (historical) view of QB play. WIU is going to need to find a new QB and a defense.

I am interested to see how YSU & the Trees put together the teams in the spring and fall. I am going to reserve judgment between now and then, as it only takes one arrest, broken ankle or failed test to jack up a season.

Dude101010
February 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
YSU & MSU have consistently had the best recruiting classes for how many years now? They are the Cubs of the MVFC.

Heacock was a terrible recruiter and the main reason why the 00's YSU went from one of the premire programs in the nation to bottom of the missouri valley. Wolford has improved the talent on this team dramaticly

Daved
February 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM

Last year was definitely a down year for the quality of the "top tier" teams in the MVFC compared to the past decade. UNI, NDSU, & WIU were definitely teams with glaring flaws. SIU flat out imploded.

UNI should be addressing its lack of a power running back, a QB that knows more that 15 plays, and a place kicker. NDSU flat out needs to get away from the Chicago Bears' (historical) view of QB play. WIU is going to need to find a new QB and a defense.

I am interested to see how YSU & the Trees put together the teams in the spring and fall. I am going to reserve judgment between now and then, as it only takes one arrest, broken ankle or failed test to jack up a season.YSU hasn't had a great recruiting class in many many years!!! This year (Wolf's first full year of recruiting)they finally have one--the next few years are looking a lot brighter for the Penguins.YSU won the NC way back in 1997--Cubs last title was in 1908!

Twentysix
February 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM
MVC National Team Avg Games
1 11 NDSU 15944 7 (Horrible attendance this year in my opinion)
2 13 YSU 15110 6
3 21 UNI 12997 6
4 31 SIU 10890 6
5 35 SDSU 10023 5
6 37 WIU 9232 6
7 39 MSU 9028 5
8 (47) USD 8352 5
9 62 ISU-R 6958 6
10 80 ISU-B 5478 6 Can a winning sycs team top 9000?

Every school on this list can do alot better. I expect NDSU's attendance to go from 85% to 98% Through homecoming, Assuming were winning alot and are respectable against the gophers i expect it to continue (exception hunting opener).

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM
MVC National Team Avg Games
1 11 NDSU 15944 7 (Horrible attendance this year in my opinion)
2 13 YSU 15110 6
3 21 UNI 12997 6
4 31 SIU 10890 6
5 35 SDSU 10023 5
6 37 WIU 9232 6
7 39 MSU 9028 5
8 (47) USD 8352 5
9 62 ISU-R 6958 6
10 80 ISU-B 5478 6 Can a winning sycs team top 9000?

Every school on this list can do alot better. I expect NDSU's attendance to go from 85% to 98% Through homecoming, Assuming were winning alot and are respectable against the gophers i expect it to continue (exception hunting opener).

NDSU's should be another 2k or better this year.

I thought Ill State and Missouri State were thinking of a possible move to FBS? Not with those attendance #s.

Da Coach
February 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Here's my pick:

NDSU
UNI
INS
SIU
ILS
SDSU
YSU
WIU
MSU

I see no respect for WIU. Now that Patterson is gone, the losing is over. WIU will now, once again, be an annual contender for the Conference Championship. They now have a head coach that knows how to recruit and recruit he did. If I was the MVFC I would start paying more attention and respect to "The Fighting Leathernecks!"

mgbison
February 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
1. NDSU - defense is fast and physical. need the passing game to improve.
2. UNI - probably the most athletic team, but after their playoff loss I don't know what to think.
3. YSU - my sleeper pick if the coaches don't blow it for the players
4. ISUb - need special teams to improve
5. ISUr - need a defense.
6. SDSU - TOB is their QB
7. SIU - I don't know what to think about the salukis
8. WIU - graduated too many players. Barr is gone, enough said
9. MSU - Last year was supposed to be their year.

After what happened in 2010, I could see anybody taking the conference this year. Its gonna be another fun year in the Valley.

Professor Chaos
February 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
So to recap;

NDSU -- homer also but I think we will be the best team next year

Should be a playoff year for the Sycamores!

This team is much better then last years talent wise right now...... the future is bright in youngstown

WIU will now, once again, be an annual contender for the Conference Championship.

Hmmmm, seems like an awful lot of "annual conference title/playoff contenders" for one conference. And this group doesn't even include two of the better programs in the MVFC over the last few years in SDSU and SIU.

MSUDuo
February 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM
All I know is that I will start this season with crappy expectations and the Bears will finally live up, or down, to those. Got bit big time trying to think that maybe we had actually turned a corner heading into last year. The good news is that our defense cannot get any worse...

MplsBison
February 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
All I know is that I will start this season with crappy expectations and the Bears will finally live up, or down, to those. Got bit big time trying to think that maybe we had actually turned a corner heading into last year. The good news is that our defense cannot get any worse...

I can't decide if MSU defense just played lights out vs NDSU in the last game or if NDSU's offense just stunk it up that badly. I'm leaning towards the latter, but at least it's something positive to work off.

ValleyChamp
February 10th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Say what you want about Terrell Rennie and his QB skills, but I believe he was the MVFC offensive MVP last year in his first year of playing D1 football. Put up incredible numbers. Having a whole year under his belt will be huge for him, and maybe more so for the coaching staff figuring out how exactly to utilize him.

All you people picking NDSU to win the league this year, what are you basing that on exactly? Lets not forget that NDSU lost 4 games in the MVFC last year and didn't even post a winning record. UNI had a incredibly young team last year, and still won the outright championship. Some may question Rennie at QB, but he's better than any of the guys that NDSU is running out there at QB. Until the bison find a QB that isn't awful, there is no way you can pick them to win the league, IMO.

UNI returns virtually its entire team, and features a unique QB that is tough to defend, a full stable of running backs, and a stud defense with loads of team speed. Much like last year, and the majority of the years previous, I'm sticking with UNI at the top.

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. YSU
4. SIU
5. ISUb
6. The rest

Houndawg
February 11th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Say what you want about Terrell Rennie and his QB skills, but I believe he was the MVFC offensive MVP last year in his first year of playing D1 football. Put up incredible numbers. Having a whole year under his belt will be huge for him, and maybe more so for the coaching staff figuring out how exactly to utilize him.

All you people picking NDSU to win the league this year, what are you basing that on exactly? Lets not forget that NDSU lost 4 games in the MVFC last year and didn't even post a winning record. UNI had a incredibly young team last year, and still won the outright championship. Some may question Rennie at QB, but he's better than any of the guys that NDSU is running out there at QB. Until the bison find a QB that isn't awful, there is no way you can pick them to win the league, IMO.

UNI returns virtually its entire team, and features a unique QB that is tough to defend, a full stable of running backs, and a stud defense with loads of team speed. Much like last year, and the majority of the years previous, I'm sticking with UNI at the top.

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. YSU
4. SIU
5. ISUb
6. The rest

I think that TR can lead UNI but he isn't any kind of deep threat, ergo you'll be seeing loaded boxes all year. The trick will be rolling him out.

mgbison
February 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The only question mark I have with Rennie is how effective is he throwing the football. I would've picked UNI to win the conference but after that embarrassing playoff loss and getting blown out by WIU at home, I don't know what to think of the panthers. Almost every team in the MVFC brings back the majority of its players, so UNI isn't alone there. Going off of last years record and players returning, I'd think most people will have NDSU and UNI in the top 2 spots. I went with NDSU at #1 due to the fact UNI comes to Fargo this year.

As far as NDSU goes, QB is gonna be a huge ????. However, in defense of our QB's, we had 2 true freshman on the oline and had our ups and downs with our oline play. There will be a lot of new QB's in the league next, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Most teams in the league can probably make a case for their sqaud belonging in the top 3. I also like NDSU's schedule next year. We get to play the gophers at TCF and its probably the best chance the MVFC has at getting a FBS win.

Houndawg
February 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
The only question mark I have with Rennie is how effective is he throwing the football. I would've picked UNI to win the conference but after that embarrassing playoff loss and getting blown out by WIU at home, I don't know what to think of the panthers. Almost every team in the MVFC brings back the majority of its players, so UNI isn't alone there. Going off of last years record and players returning, I'd think most people will have NDSU and UNI in the top 2 spots. I went with NDSU at #1 due to the fact UNI comes to Fargo this year.

As far as NDSU goes, QB is gonna be a huge ????. However, in defense of our QB's, we had 2 true freshman on the oline and had our ups and downs with our oline play. There will be a lot of new QB's in the league next, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Most teams in the league can probably make a case for their sqaud belonging in the top 3. I also like NDSU's schedule next year. We get to play the gophers at TCF and its probably the best chance the MVFC has at getting a FBS win.

They were young like most of the MVC. Next year should be a real dogfight.

blackpanther
February 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
The only question mark I have with Rennie is how effective is he throwing the football. I would've picked UNI to win the conference but after that embarrassing playoff loss and getting blown out by WIU at home, I don't know what to think of the panthers. Almost every team in the MVFC brings back the majority of its players, so UNI isn't alone there. Going off of last years record and players returning, I'd think most people will have NDSU and UNI in the top 2 spots. I went with NDSU at #1 due to the fact UNI comes to Fargo this year.Rennie is perfectly effective throwing the ball when he isn't forced to be a drop back passer that has two routes to pick from - a go route and a 15 yard curl which is easy to cover when the same routes are run every play.

I don't give the UNI/WIU game much stock at all. The game was at WIU, not UNI. However, UNI had already wrapped up the auto bid and out right title. WIU needed a win to be eligible. UNI didn't play Rennie after he got banged up, even though he could have played. UNI played a completely base defense the entire game, and ran a more cimple offense than we did any previous game.

To be fair WIU had their game plan and executed it well.

UNI should win this league by a game or two....

MplsBison
February 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Rennie is perfectly effective throwing the ball when he isn't forced to be a drop back passer that has two routes to pick from - a go route and a 15 yard curl which is easy to cover when the same routes are run every play.

I don't give the UNI/WIU game much stock at all. The game was at WIU, not UNI. However, UNI had already wrapped up the auto bid and out right title. WIU needed a win to be eligible. UNI didn't play Rennie after he got banged up, even though he could have played. UNI played a completely base defense the entire game, and ran a more cimple offense than we did any previous game.

To be fair WIU had their game plan and executed it well.

UNI should win this league by a game or two....

Not that your last statement will be wrong, but UNI does have to play in Fargo. We'll see!

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM

That game should be a good one. Kill will get the Gophers turned around but not in 1 year. Bison can run the ball and play good defense.....recipe for success. Kill will implement new offensive and defensive schemes and that will benefit the Bison next year. I, for one, expect a Bison win.

GO BISON

JacksFan06
February 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
1. UNI
2. ILST
3. NDSU
4. INST
5. SDSU
6. SIU
7. YSU
8. WIU
9. MSU

Put NDSU at 3 because I'm not sold on their QB's or the fact that they have yet to prove they can win games in the MVC.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I think it's nice that some folks are rating NDSU high. But I get the impression that the reason for that is because NDSU won 2 games in the playoffs and then lost a close game to the eventual national champion at their field.

I say so what? NDSU didn't play a MVFC team in the playoffs. Neither of teams they beat looked very impressive to me. EWU didn't look that impressive to me either, NDSU lost that game because they didn't play well enough to win.

In summary, I really don't see how you can project a 4-4 MVFC team to do well in the conference next year just because they beat a NEC team and a vastly over rated Big Sky team in the playoffs. The loss to Missiouri St with the playoffs on the line was terrible. The loss to Illinois St was a bad loss too. The UNI and WIU losses were at least somewhat understandable, those were the two best teams in the MVFC head and shoulders.

It will be interesting to see if things change next year or if the whole conference is going to continue being down with a couple teams above average. NDSU will never be anything more than above average in the conference until they can throw the ball in addition to the great running game. The only NDSU teams I've seen under Bohl that could do that were the 2006 and 2007 teams and we all know those were national champion caliber teams.

Houndawg
February 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I think it's nice that some folks are rating NDSU high. But I get the impression that the reason for that is because NDSU won 2 games in the playoffs and then lost a close game to the eventual national champion at their field.

I say so what? NDSU didn't play a MVFC team in the playoffs. Neither of teams they beat looked very impressive to me. EWU didn't look that impressive to me either, NDSU lost that game because they didn't play well enough to win.

In summary, I really don't see how you can project a 4-4 MVFC team to do well in the conference next year just because they beat a NEC team and a vastly over rated Big Sky team in the playoffs. The loss to Missiouri St with the playoffs on the line was terrible. The loss to Illinois St was a bad loss too. The UNI and WIU losses were at least somewhat understandable, those were the two best teams in the MVFC head and shoulders.

It will be interesting to see if things change next year or if the whole conference is going to continue being down with a couple teams above average. NDSU will never be anything more than above average in the conference until they can throw the ball in addition to the great running game. The only NDSU teams I've seen under Bohl that could do that were the 2006 and 2007 teams and we all know those were national champion caliber teams.

They would have been .500 teams if they were playing in the MVC those years.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Based on how poorly Ill St played in Fargo in 2007, I'm going to disagree. I would not be surprised if they won the MVFC both years. But alas, we'll never know.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Doubt it.

2007 Bison team beat Illinois State 54-28 that was a playoff team the year before. Other Redbird scores in the MV that year:

UNI: 13-23
SIU: 24-34
MSU: 41-58
WIU: 14-27
YSU: 27-22
InS: 69-17

The only game I saw was the Bison game and that game was not as close as the score indicated. Hard to say how the Bison would have done but they would have contended for the title, IMO.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Based on how poorly Ill St played in Fargo in 2007, I'm going to disagree. I would not be surprised if they won the MVFC both years. But alas, we'll never know.

Really?

With your usual analysis of the Bison playing inferior ooc games and being inferior to the rest of the MV, you actually think the Bison would have won??

Redbird Ray
February 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was looking at Illinois State's schedule for 2011. Was surprised to see they don't have an FBS game on it. They have the 8 conference games, Eastern Illinois, Morehead State, and South Dakota.

For some stupid reason that hardly any of us Redbird fans can rationalize, we are taking a two year break from FBS games. This has created endless debate on Redbirdfan.net regarding the merits of a guaranteed 6th home game versus the revenue/exposure of an FBS game.

We have a home and home with Ball State in 2013/2014. Great to have a home game against an FBS school (even if it is just Ball State), but we basically have no "Major Opponent" games for at least the next 4 seasons.

Redbird Ray
February 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Last year was the worst year for ISUR in terms of attendance that I can ever remember. Weather was a real ***** for us in half of our home games last year, but that's a poor excuse. Our fanbase just has no interest of entering the stadium for our games. Tailgating attendance was still strong all year (15-20K+), but until we get:

1) Stadium renovation

2) Consistent playoff success

3) Naked girlies dancing around field during timeouts

ISU football will continue to be an afterthought on our campus. Which is too bad.

Redhawk2010
February 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Well I may be making the move from "Redhawk" to "Redbird" in the very near future. I will be visiting Bloomington in the next few weeks..

DJKyR0
February 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
3) Naked girlies dancing around field during timeouts

Tell me who you're writing to to make this happen and I'll do the same. C'mon AGS, this is for football fans everywhere.

Houndawg
February 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM

xeyebrowx That's pretty weak, amigo. The '07 ISU team was 4-7 and even lost to Drake.

mgbison
February 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
The past is the past, but houndawg you have no clue. On our 06 -07 teams we have four players (Joe mays, nick Schommer sp?, Craig Dahl, and ramon humber) all playing in the nfl. So going off talent alone, I would say we would have competed just fine in mvfc back then. We also had a competent qb, which the mvfc hasn't seen from ndsu sofar.

I realize the mvfc was a grind in those years, but we were ranked in the top 3 for much of the season. You can say we had a weak schedule, but we did Beat central michigan 44-14 and mn in the same year. Mn was bad but bcs nonetheless, and cmu won the Mac that season. As bad as the Mac can be, my money would be on the Mac conference champ beating the mvfc champ most of the time.

Houndawg
February 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM
The past is the past, but houndawg you have no clue. On our 06 -07 teams we have four players (Joe mays, nick Schommer sp?, Craig Dahl, and ramon humber) all playing in the nfl. So going off talent alone, I would say we would have competed just fine in mvfc back then. We also had a competent qb, which the mvfc hasn't seen from ndsu sofar.

I realize the mvfc was a grind in those years, but we were ranked in the top 3 for much of the season. You can say we had a weak schedule, but we did Beat central michigan 44-14 and mn in the same year. Mn was bad but bcs nonetheless, and cmu won the Mac that season. As bad as the Mac can be, my money would be on the Mac conference champ beating the mvfc champ most of the time.

Any FBS win is good, even over the likes of a Kansas or Minnesota.

I was taking issue with the logic that because you stomped a 4-7 team at home who lost to Drake that this proves the Bison would have won the MVC for two years.

Thundar
February 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Any FBS win is good, even over the likes of a Kansas or Minnesota.

I was taking issue with the logic that because you stomped a 4-7 team at home who lost to Drake that this proves the Bison would have won the MVC for two years.

not all of us think that wayxpeacex

TheBisonator
February 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
We also beat Western Illinois on the road that year, as I recall.

2-0 vs the Valley (last year known as the Gateway) that year.

Houndawg
February 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
We also beat Western Illinois on the road that year, as I recall.

2-0 vs the Valley (last year known as the Gateway) that year.

Yeah, we beat them on the road that year too and were 5-1 against the Gateway. WIU was 6-5 overall and 3-3 in the Gateway.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah, we beat them on the road that year too and were 5-1 against the Gateway. WIU was 6-5 overall and 3-3 in the Gateway.

I'm sure if the Bison go 6-2 or 7-1 or 8-0 that they will still be inferior to the rest of the MV and that it was a total fluke....right?

Bison would have been right up there for the MV title in 07, IMO, but we'll never know.

We have a ton of starters coming back so 11 should be pretty interesting.

Houndawg
February 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm sure if the Bison go 6-2 or 7-1 or 8-0 that they will still be inferior to the rest of the MV and that it was a total fluke....right?

Bison would have been right up there for the MV title in 07, IMO, but we'll never know.

We have a ton of starters coming back so 11 should be pretty interesting.

xlolx yeah right.

Bison might have been in the MV race in '07, but victories over 4-7 and 6-5 mvc teams still aren't a very convincing argument. Not to mention falling to a 7-4 SDSU.

Bison should be the favorite heading into 2011, and the mvc will be a tougher conference this year. I'm would bet the farm that 7-4 won't be the best record in the mvc in 2011.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM
xlolx yeah right.

Bison might have been in the MV race in '07, but victories over 4-7 and 6-5 mvc teams still aren't a very convincing argument. Not to mention falling to a 7-4 SDSU.

Bison should be the favorite heading into 2011, and the mvc will be a tougher conference this year. I'm would bet the farm that 7-4 won't be the best record in the mvc in 2011.

The 07 Jacks team would have done very well also in the MV. I was at that game in Brookings and it was a great FB game. SDSU came out and played their a**es off and beat the Bison. 11-0 would have been pretty awesome but the Jacks were the better team that day.

The MV will be a good race this coming year. I believe the Bison will be in the race for the championship but so will UNI-SIU-ISU-SDSU. The Bison need to beat UNI at home this year. Post season home games are a big advantage.

JBB
February 24th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I was at the 2007 game myself. Sat amongst the Jacks fans. It was fun.

The UNI@NDSU game is the biggest game of the year, not counting FBS, at least right now. It will be packed.

Redbird Ray
February 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Well Redhawk 2010, I hope ISU or Bloomington/Normal has what you are looking for. I havn't lived there in awhile, but I get back as much as possible. Let me know if you need any advice on ISU's campus, or Blo/No or anything like that. It's a pretty awesome place, not a total ****hole like Carbondale....jk Salukies xlolxxlolxxlolx