View Full Version : Bobby Lamb to be Mercer’s first football coach

The Cats
January 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
"The timing is almost too good to be true.

While Mercer officials were holding a news conference on Nov. 19 announcing the resumption of football after a 70-year hiatus, Furman was preparing a news release that Bobby Lamb was resigning as the Paladins’ head coach."

http://www.macon.com/2011/01/18/1414952/lamb-to-be-mercers-first-football.html"

OL FU
January 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I had heard the rumor on the uffp. Congrats and best of luck to Coach Lamb.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Poor Bobby, he's been in Georgia Southern's shadow since 1985 and now the hometown newspaper will cover the Eagles at least as much as his new Bears. Good that Georgia's private school players have a choice besides Newberry and Presbyterian, though.

EagleSquared
January 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM
I think Bobby Lamb is a fine coach and a good person, but with Mercer going non-scholly, I don't think this is a good long-term situation. Not only will it be nearly impossible to recruit against Ga Southern and Ga State (and Kennesaw if they go scholly), but the in-state D-2's and the SAC schools (D-2) that can offer dollars will have a huge advavntage over the Bears. The truth of the matter is that decently funded D-2 teams will win the majority of times they face non-scholly D-1s.

OL FU
February 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
I think Bobby Lamb is a fine coach and a good person, but with Mercer going non-scholly, I don't think this is a good long-term situation. Not only will it be nearly impossible to recruit against Ga Southern and Ga State (and Kennesaw if they go scholly), but the in-state D-2's and the SAC schools (D-2) that can offer dollars will have a huge advavntage over the Bears. The truth of the matter is that decently funded D-2 teams will win the majority of times they face non-scholly D-1s.

I don't disagree but I'm not sure he can recruit against FU either which gets a large portion of the Ga recruits. On the other hand, Mercer will be non-scholarship (at least early on) so with the exception of the academic scholarships or possible needs based scholarships they hand out, they won't be competing with the GSU's or FUs much anyway.

His success will be determined on how well they do in the PFL not on how he does compared to GSU.

EagleSquared
February 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
I don't disagree but I'm not sure he can recruit against FU either which gets a large portion of the Ga recruits. On the other hand, Mercer will be non-scholarship (at least early on) so with the exception of the academic scholarships or possible needs based scholarships they hand out, they won't be competing with the GSU's or FUs much anyway.

His success will be determined on how well they do in the PFL not on how he does compared to GSU.

That is true. Good luck to Coach Lamb and the Bears.