PDA

View Full Version : ICON/GSU Quarterback primed for NFL Combine

MACHIAVELLI
February 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
GSU's 'Big Easy' working hard
Quarterback primed for NFL Combine
By Nick Deriso

GRAMBLING — Grambling State quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene understands what's at stake this week at the NFL Scouting Combine.

After all, since 2000 only 12 players have been selected on the first day of the draft who were not at this invite-only job interview.

The combine, as his coach has said, "is Bruce Eugene's Super Bowl."

"I'm looking at it like that," said Eugene, just back from receiving Sheridan Broadcasting's offensive player of the year award in Atlanta.
Eugene stayed away from postseason exhibitions to concentrate on preparing for the combine, which opens today in Indianapolis. At MakePlays in Phoenix, he went through a battery of drills daily that he'll see again this week.

More important for the gifted but pudgy talent is this: Eugene lost weight. A lot of it.

"Forty pounds, so far," Eugene said. "And I'm still losing." ...........

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200602 22/SPORTS/602220354/1006

grizband
February 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Good luck Bruce!! His stats always seemed to be inflated a little, but I don't question his talent. I hope he has a good showing at the combine, and makes it at the next level.

February 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
I received a Bruce highlight DVD and ZOWIE the kid is obviously a great talent (which I already knew). He's a great kid too and was very gracious and down to earth when I interviewed him at the 2003 Payton awards. http://www.anygivensaturday.net/audio/EugeneAt2003Awards.wma Thanks Mach!

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
So after losing 40 pounds, Bruce is down to about 280 now? xlolx

We could make a reality show of Eugene's visit to the combine: "The QB That Ate Indy." :D

February 23rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
So after losing 40 pounds, Bruce is down to about 280 now? xlolx

We could make a reality show of Eugene's visit to the combine: "The QB That Ate Indy." :DI know you're trying to be funny but that's just wrong on the discussion board.

walliver
February 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
So after losing 40 pounds, Bruce is down to about 280 now?

We could make a reality show of Eugene's visit to the combine: "The QB That Ate Indy."

The big question is - If he is willing to lose weight to play for the NFL, why didn't he lose weight to help Grambling. Is the food at Grambling THAT good? The question mark for the NFL scouts is will he keep his weight down. I'd hate to see a repeat of the Refridgerator Perry story.

gram4life
February 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
The big question is - If he is willing to lose weight to play for the NFL, why didn't he lose weight to help Grambling. Is the food at Grambling THAT good? The question mark for the NFL scouts is will he keep his weight down. I'd hate to see a repeat of the Refridgerator Perry story.
I guess he didn't help Grambling? Your logic? Yes the NFL scouts want to know if he can keep the weight down and if he can make the plays. At this point they don't care why he lost the weight now and not while playing at Grambling.

MACHIAVELLI
February 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
The big question is - If he is willing to lose weight to play for the NFL, why didn't he lose weight to help Grambling.

30-8 as a starter
13,530 Passing Yards
140 Passing Touchdowns
1,207 Rushing Yards
19 Rushing Touchdowns
38 Interceptions

I think he helped Grambling.

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
I was over on SWAC Page today. Here's something that got my eye...

"I think that Eugene will surprise alot of scouts not only with his arm, but also with his Football Knowledge and that he is a very smart player."

The response: "I have to disagree! I've conducted several interviews with the kid and that is actually the one thing that I do question. I don't question his physical talent, I question his mental capacity!"

What's the word from the Grambling folks? I know they do all sorts of tests on all sorts of things at the combine. Is Eugene not up to par academically and/or mentally?

th0m
February 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does ICON stand for? The most amusing acronym I could find in acronymfinder.com was "Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska" :D

MACHIAVELLI
February 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

"I think that Eugene will surprise alot of scouts not only with his arm, but also with his Football Knowledge and that he is a very smart player."

The response: "I have to disagree! I've conducted several interviews with the kid and that is actually the one thing that I do question. I don't question his physical talent, I question his mental capacity!"

What's the word from the Grambling folks? I know they do all sorts of tests on all sorts of things at the combine. Is Eugene not up to par academically and/or mentally?

Eugene graduated and was in Grad school in fall 05. Bruce has a great football mind. Sit and talk with him, you will find out. He knows much about players from other teams, conferences. He knows our offense and defense inside and out. He will look at game film over and over and over and over again. If the football thing doesn't work out, he will make a good coach.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Bruce is in grad school persuing a graduate degree.

jmuroller
February 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
When did he become an ICON?

I wish him good luck though. Making the NFL is hard hard hard.

February 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does ICON stand for? The most amusing acronym I could find in acronymfinder.com was "Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska" :D“When you talk about football Grambling stands up there as an Icon type of name. When you think of Grambling, you think of Notre Dame, you probably think of places like Ohio State, Oklahoma, during the Bud Wilkinson days and other institutions that are synonymous with college football.”
--- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue

February 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does ICON stand for? The most amusing acronym I could find in acronymfinder.com was "Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska" :DSlang, Chat &
Pop culture
Rank Acronym Meaning
**** AGS Any Given Sunday (movie)

Some humorous ones:
Adolescent Guidance Services
American Geriatrics Society
Americans for Gun Safety
American Gerbil Society
American Glovebox Society
Australian Golf Schools
Analytical Gas Systems
Anti-Gravity Suit
Abort Guidance System

walliver
February 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
I guess he didn't help Grambling? Your logic? Yes the NFL scouts want to know if he can keep the weight down and if he can make the plays. At this point they don't care why he lost the weight now and not while playing at Grambling.

My basic point, which seems to have been missed is that he is apparently losing weight either to impress the NFL scouts or to get into NFL shape. But the basic question is why he didn't lose weight earlier. Are you saying that a leaner trimmer Bruce Eugene wouldn't have been more impressive, or did his excess weight somehow give him some competitive advantage?

mikebigg
February 24th, 2006, 12:33 AM
My basic point, which seems to have been missed is that he is apparently losing weight either to impress the NFL scouts or to get into NFL shape. But the basic question is why he didn't lose weight earlier. Are you saying that a leaner trimmer Bruce Eugene wouldn't have been more impressive, or did his excess weight somehow give him some competitive advantage?

The motivation is different, the level of competition is greater, and the finality is more definite. We didn't care about the weight...it never hindered his performance for us. But for his health and possible NFL career, it's best that he drops and keeps off the weight. I think he's gonna be gone by the 3rd round. The dude can chunk the rock!

Mr. Tiger
February 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Now that he probably has an agent, he is more likely getting the best dietitians and weight trainers in the business. We all know its harder to lose weight for some than others and Eugene may have been trying to lose the weight at Grambling but still eating the wrong foods. It is no different than players who have to add weight to play in the NFL despite playing four years in college.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see where Eugene ends up. He certainly has the potential to be a good NFL QB. I guess we'll find out for certain in the next couple of years. The biggest thing for him is to survive the next 2-3 years in the NFL - he won't start right away anywhere, so he needs to land in a good spot where he can learn what he needs to learn while still getting a shot to play in a year or two or three. After that, it gets less and less likely he'll be able to hang on in the league as the new young guns keep coming out from school and an older QB who never did anything will get dropped.

datruth4u
February 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah I'm the one who made the statement. I stand by my statement! I'm a Grambling fan to my heart. BUT, I'm also a journalist and one day you will see my face, hear my opinion and more times then not RESPECT my opinion on national television! I wish Bruce all the best in the world! He deserves it; I believe people should be rewarded for hard work. However, the opinion from the swacpage is that the person felt that Bruce would SUPRISE a lot of NFL scouts with his football knowledge. In my opinion Grambling doesn't run the most complex offense in the world. I personally question decision-making skills especially when it's on another level with 3 and 5 drops back passes. Not in the shotgun! It's a whole different ball game now. This is no attempt to take away from any of the great accomplishments that Bruce had during his college career. Bruce should have been the Walter Payton award winner. Well some of you on the board may state how can you say that based on your opinion of his NFL potential? I will answer that by saying not all Heisman winners excel on the next level! Mach, man you my boy, and I know your probably trying to figure out who I am but what does Grad school have to do with the NFL?

Mr. Tiger
February 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah I'm the one who made the statement. I stand by my statement! I'm a Grambling fan to my heart. BUT, I'm also a journalist and one day you will see my face, hear my opinion and more times then not RESPECT my opinion on national television! I wish Bruce all the best in the world! He deserves it; I believe people should be rewarded for hard work. However, the opinion from the swacpage is that the person felt that Bruce would SUPRISE a lot of NFL scouts with his football knowledge. In my opinion Grambling doesn't run the most complex offense in the world. I personally question decision-making skills especially when it's on another level with 3 and 5 drops back passes. Not in the shotgun! It's a whole different ball game now. This is no attempt to take away from any of the great accomplishments that Bruce had during his college career. Bruce should have been the Walter Payton award winner. Well some of you on the board may state how can you say that based on your opinion of his NFL potential? I will answer that by saying not all Heisman winners excel on the next level! Mach, man you my boy, and I know your probably trying to figure out who I am but what does Grad school have to do with the NFL?

I agree that Grambling's offense isn't real complex. But very few college quarterbacks are ready for the speed of the game, blitz packages, and the different coverages of the NFL. Eugene would be a project but most of the quarterbacks taken in this year's draft are projects. What he has going for him is his arm strength, which is good, and he is pretty accurate with the deep ball. And remember, a smart guy may not make a smart quarterback. You have to be able to see the defensive alignments, adjustments, and make good decisions in a split second. My prediction is Eugene will be a second day pick, put on a practice squad and after the season sent to NFL Europe.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM
What's Eugene's 40 time?

According to a post I read on SWAC Page about HBCU NFL Prospects, he's even slower than a NC A&T offensive lineman and barely inching out some other OL...

NAME SCHOOL POSITION HEIGHT/WEIGHT/SPEED STOCK
1. Cletis Gordon Jackson State DB 6-2, 195 (V), 4.40 (V)
2. Walter Stith NC A&T OL 6-8, 320 (V), 5.10 (V)
3. Tavaris Jackson Alabama State QB 6-1, 215 (V), 4.67 (V)
4. Bruce Eugene Grambling State QB 6-0, 260 (E), 5.3 (E)
5. Torey Ross NC Central WR 6-3, 190 (E) None
6. Fredrick Brock Texas Southern LB 6-4, 245 (E), 4.58 (E)
7. Albert Stinson Jackson State OL 6-4 (E), 330 (E), 5.4 (E)
8. Sterling Green Bowie State SS 6-1, 214 (E), 4.58 (E)
9. Marques Binn Grambling State DB 6-1, 190 (E)

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56576

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM
What's Eugene's 40 time?

According to a post I read on SWAC Page about HBCU NFL Prospects, he's even slower than a NC A&T offensive lineman and barely inching out some other OL...

NAME SCHOOL POSITION HEIGHT/WEIGHT/SPEED STOCK
1. Cletis Gordon Jackson State DB 6-2, 195 (V), 4.40 (V)
2. Walter Stith NC A&T OL 6-8, 320 (V), 5.10 (V)
3. Tavaris Jackson Alabama State QB 6-1, 215 (V), 4.67 (V)
4. Bruce Eugene Grambling State QB 6-0, 260 (E), 5.3 (E)
5. Torey Ross NC Central WR 6-3, 190 (E) None
6. Fredrick Brock Texas Southern LB 6-4, 245 (E), 4.58 (E)
7. Albert Stinson Jackson State OL 6-4 (E), 330 (E), 5.4 (E)
8. Sterling Green Bowie State SS 6-1, 214 (E), 4.58 (E)
9. Marques Binn Grambling State DB 6-1, 190 (E)

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56576
Bruce runs the 40 on Sunday.

MACHIAVELLI
February 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
In my opinion Grambling doesn't run the most complex offense in the world. I personally question decision-making skills especially when it's on another level with 3 and 5 drops back passes. Not in the shotgun! It's a whole different ball game now. Mach, man you my boy, and I know your probably trying to figure out who I am but what does Grad school have to do with the NFL?

Rememeber as a budding reporter that just because you have an opinion doesn't make you correct nor an expert. Coming from under center is no big accompishment for Bruce, 3 to 5 step drops..come on man. Just because his offense at times didn't always allow him to be under center. He has done it many, many times. IF you read what I typed, it was in resepct to what TT said about Bruce's capacity academically. I was stating what I know to be fact, not opinion nor speculation. Bruce is a student of the game.

youwouldno
February 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I saw Eugene ran something like a 5.08 today... I believe worst at the position.

Ingle Martin ran a 4.65, second-best of those QBs participating in the drill.

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I saw Eugene ran something like a 5.08 today... I believe worst at the position.

Ingle Martin ran a 4.65, second-best of those QBs participating in the drill.

Was there such scrunity of Payton Manning's time in the 40? I'm willing to bet that Marino ran even slower than 5.5 in the forty. My reasoning is that speed in the forty for a qb is the most unimportant measurement or stat to be evaluated. I'm willing to bet that the Atlanta Falcon staff and management would trade Michael Vick's forty time for him being a better pocket passer.

youwouldno
February 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I think it matters, in that Eugene isn't quick enough to avoid the rush and has a history of injury problems. That's a bad combination.

gram4life
February 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I think it matters, in that Eugene isn't quick enough to avoid the rush and has a history of injury problems. That's a bad combination.

What's the history? Eugene is nimble enought to avoid the rush, he is not trying to be Mike Vick. Pitts QB isn't very fast, Manning is not fast. How are they avoiding the rush?

February 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Was there such scrunity of Payton Manning's time in the 40? I'm willing to bet that Marino ran even slower than 5.5 in the forty. My reasoning is that speed in the forty for a qb is the most unimportant measurement or stat to be evaluated. I'm willing to bet that the Atlanta Falcon staff and management would trade Michael Vick's forty time for him being a better pocket passer.Who cares about those guys you mentioned, this is Bruce Eugene from a I-AA squad. We care more!

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
How'd Eugene do on the Wonderlic?

Saw VY scored a six...

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Who cares about those guys you mentioned, this is Bruce Eugene from a I-AA squad. We care more!

You're right! I think he will do well and all of 1AA should be proud of how he (all others from our leagues) will represent us.

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 08:42 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/82c5e159-a32a-4805-8fb3-c0c81831a4b0.jpg

February 26th, 2006, 08:46 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/82c5e159-a32a-4805-8fb3-c0c81831a4b0.jpgLifted from ESPN...

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Lifted from ESPN...

so where was the film purchased?

February 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
so where was the film purchased?:) Since it is an AP photo I would say ESPN paid for the rights to run the pic, a nice one of Bruce! Any Jackson ones appearing there?

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
:) Since it is an AP photo I would say ESPN paid for the rights to run the pic, a nice one of Bruce! Any Jackson ones appearing there?

I was just messing with you Ralph? Haven't seen one of Jackson yet. Any word on any of the other 1AA'ers out there? Jason Hatcher from GSU has impressed...I will post on him tomorrow from the local paper.

youwouldno
February 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Eugene apparently didn't dominate the pictured velocity test. Ingle Martin led the participants at 65mph, followed by Cutler at 60mph and Croyle at 58mph. Jackson threw 57mph and Eugene 55, among others.

February 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Eugene apparently didn't dominate the pictured velocity test. Ingle Martin led the participants at 65mph, followed by Cutler at 60mph and Croyle at 58mph. Jackson threw 57mph and Eugene 55, among others.Link??

youwouldno
February 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Link??

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/combineday4.html

MACHIAVELLI
February 28th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Bruce and his family appeared on Larry King live tonight. (Feb. 28th) at around 8:40pm and 11:40pm central.