PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's Rackely Selected for East-West Shrine Game

ngineer
January 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Lehigh's OT Will Rackley will play in the this coming Saturday's E-W Shrine All-Star Game in Orlando, FL. Rackley is the first Lehigh player to be selected since TE Adam Bergen in 2005. Rackley made three All-American teams this year. Game will be televised on NFL Network at 4 p.m. EST.

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Lehigh's OT Will Rackley will play in the this coming Saturday's E-W Shrine All-Star Game in Orlando, FL. Rackley is the first Lehigh player to be selected since TE Adam Bergen in 2004. Rackley made three All-American teams this year. Game will be televised on NFL Network at 4 p.m. EST.

What's sad is that some All-America teams did not select him. He, like Ben Ijalana, Mike Person, David Arkin, and Daniel Kilgore should have been on every list that had at least a first and second team. Those guys were all great players whom I believe are all playing in an all-star game except for Ben Ijalana who pulled out of the Senior Bowl with an injury.

Fordham
January 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
that's great news. Congrats ngineer fans! Hope he gets drafted.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 18th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Congrats to Rackley. Other FCS players involved are Pat Devlin from Delaware (QB), Cortez Allen from the Citadel (CB), Martin Parker from Richmond (DT), Justin Rogers also from Richmond (CB), and Korey Lindsey from SIU (CB). Interestingly enough, there are also a couple Div II players and a couple Canadians on the roster.

Also of note: for some reason the representatives from the Citadel and Lehigh are both playing on the 'West' team (as are a couple of the Eastern Canada players).

ngineer
January 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Congrats to Rackley. Other FCS players involved are Pat Devlin from Delaware (QB), Cortez Allen from the Citadel (CB), Martin Parker from Richmond (DT), Justin Rogers also from Richmond (CB), and Korey Lindsey from SIU (CB). Interestingly enough, there are also a couple Div II players and a couple Canadians on the roster.

Also of note: for some reason the representatives from the Citadel and Lehigh are both playing on the 'West' team (as are a couple of the Eastern Canada players).

I saw that, too, and thought it might be a misprint; but maybe they were 'unbalanced' regionally. Not sure who does the selecting.

smallcollegefbfan
January 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Yes a good representation from FCS this year.

I thought the east coast players on the "west" team was interesting. Maybe they did it to get them in the game?

Just so you know they always invite at least two Canadian players and a player from Army and Navy as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
My understanding is that the release was wrong, at least in the case of Will - he'll be on the East team. This is unconfirmed however.

danefan
January 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My understanding is that the release was wrong, at least in the case of Will - he'll be on the East team. This is unconfirmed however.

The website also has him on the West team.

http://www.shrinegame.com/en/Teams/Watchlist.aspx

But then again they have him listed at 5'3" 303 lbs.

That's a wide dude.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
The website also has him on the West team.

http://www.shrinegame.com/en/Teams/Watchlist.aspx

But then again they have him listed at 5'3" 303 lbs.

That's a wide dude.

He is not a foot shorter than me. 6' 6.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
LOTS of positive press on Rackley before the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/01/sports-weekend-1212011-east-west-shrine.html

smallcollegefbfan
January 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM
LOTS of positive press on Rackley before the game:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/01/sports-weekend-1212011-east-west-shrine.html

Yes he has done very well from what I'm hearing. I have said 4th-5th round before and I really believe he could possibly go in the top 100 with a great combine workout.

ngineer
January 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I saw the first half and Rackley did very well. He was also mentioned by the announcers as being on a list of those players "who made money" this week; meaning that based upon their week in camp their stock in the draft went up significantly. They were projecting Will to be selected in the 3rd or 4th round, but more likely as a guard due to his "small size"?!! (6'4" 310 lbs.)

smallcollegefbfan
January 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I saw the first half and Rackley did very well. He was also mentioned by the announcers as being on a list of those players "who made money" this week; meaning that based upon their week in camp their stock in the draft went up significantly. They were projecting Will to be selected in the 3rd or 4th round, but more likely as a guard due to his "small size"?!! (6'4" 310 lbs.)

He is short is what they mean. He is actually 6'3 3/8, which is too short for tackle. His thick build and powerful lower body make him an ideal right guard in the NFL. I have been saying 3rd-early 5th for a while now and I believe he might have himself in the late 3rd.

On the opposite note. Devlin has not helped himself from the game today. I think he is sliding to the 5th-6th round range.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
He is short is what they mean. He is actually 6'3 3/8, which is too short for tackle. His thick build and powerful lower body make him an ideal right guard in the NFL. I have been saying 3rd-early 5th for a while now and I believe he might have himself in the late 3rd.

On the opposite note. Devlin has not helped himself from the game today. I think he is sliding to the 5th-6th round range.

What happened to Devlin since the Georgia Southern game? He was not the same QB in the champ game and not the same QB this afternoon. He threw a very uncharacteristic pick that was poorly thrown, and he didn't even throw the ball much. Is he hurt?

smallcollegefbfan
January 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
What happened to Devlin since the Georgia Southern game? He was not the same QB in the champ game and not the same QB this afternoon. He threw a very uncharacteristic pick that was poorly thrown, and he didn't even throw the ball much. Is he hurt?

I'm not sure but if he isn't then don't be surprised if he goes undrafted or is taken late. His stock has taken a big hit as of late. As of today I would be surprised if he went higher than the 5th round. The sad thing is I like Devlin and would love to have him as my #3 right now and groom him to be my #2 within two years but he is folding like a tent in big time settings. My top 3 FCS players at the Shrine are Rackley, Lindsey, and Thomas. I think Thomas has the most upside of any of them and could be a potential top 125 selection. If he is not taken that high I believe he will prove to be a big time steal!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure but if he isn't then don't be surprised if he goes undrafted or is taken late. His stock has taken a big hit as of late. As of today I would be surprised if he went higher than the 5th round. The sad thing is I like Devlin and would love to have him as my #3 right now and groom him to be my #2 within two years but he is folding like a tent in big time settings. My top 3 FCS players at the Shrine are Rackley, Lindsey, and Thomas. I think Thomas has the most upside of any of them and could be a potential top 125 selection. If he is not taken that high I believe he will prove to be a big time steal!

I'm a big fan of Devlin too, and it's tough to see him struggle. I have a hunch he's banged up, maybe it happened in the NC game. I hope that's it. I think a good combine could mean he'll be a late round draft pick. IMO, he still has what it takes to QB at the next level.

Another name I'd like to throw out there for you is G David Arkin of Missouri State. He was a keeper as well, blocked real well against a "D" line that was stacked for the West (though, of course, no blitzing).

As good as Rackley, Lindsey and Thomas (and Arkin) were, I think Ijalana will be the first FCS player taken. My guess would be second round.

smallcollegefbfan
January 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm a big fan of Devlin too, and it's tough to see him struggle. I have a hunch he's banged up, maybe it happened in the NC game. I hope that's it. I think a good combine could mean he'll be a late round draft pick. IMO, he still has what it takes to QB at the next level.

Another name I'd like to throw out there for you is G David Arkin of Missouri State. He was a keeper as well, blocked real well against a "D" line that was stacked for the West (though, of course, no blitzing).

As good as Rackley, Lindsey and Thomas (and Arkin) were, I think Ijalana will be the first FCS player taken. My guess would be second round.

Re-read the post. I said the top 3 at the Shrine Game, not the top 3 overall. Ijalana, Taiwan Jones, and Kenrick Ellis are also up in the top FCS names. I like Arkin but guards typically fall in the draft and I think he ends up in the 5th-7th round range. The top 5 FCS prospects are going to be taken in the 2nd-4th round.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Re-read the post. I said the top 3 at the Shrine Game, not the top 3 overall. Ijalana, Taiwan Jones, and Kenrick Ellis are also up in the top FCS names. I like Arkin but guards typically fall in the draft and I think he ends up in the 5th-7th round range. The top 5 FCS prospects are going to be taken in the 2nd-4th round.

Point well taken, you weren't talking FCS overall. FWIW I think Ijalana will be taken above Jones, but both are locks to be drafted. Of course, the combine is yet to go, too.

Is Rackley a Top 5 FCS prospect, then? He might be, if the Top 5 are taken in the 2nd-4th rounds and you have Rackley projected there.

I agree, Arkin is a late-round signee, bu IMO I think he went from PFA to draftee with yesterday's performance. IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
January 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Point well taken, you weren't talking FCS overall. FWIW I think Ijalana will be taken above Jones, but both are locks to be drafted. Of course, the combine is yet to go, too.

Is Rackley a Top 5 FCS prospect, then? He might be, if the Top 5 are taken in the 2nd-4th rounds and you have Rackley projected there.

I agree, Arkin is a late-round signee, bu IMO I think he went from PFA to draftee with yesterday's performance. IMO.

Yeah definitely true on Jones and Ijalana. Rackley is definitely a top 5 FCS prospect right now. The NFL teams have had him in the top 4 rounds since last spring, longer than I have. I was not impressed with his first couple games and then did not see him again until several weeks later and have been upgrading him gradually since. I think he is a developmental guy because he will play guard or center in the NFL and he did not play it in the Shrine. My personal grade on him is 5th round because I believe he will need a year or so like Ducasse is going to need but I think he can be a third round value when all is said and done. He likely goes in the 85-125 range.

Arkin has actually been on my draft board since last spring. I just think he solidified himself a spot in the draft with his Shrine performance, unless he has an awful showing at Indy.

Korey Lindsey appears to be a solid 4th round pick right now.

A couple names to keep an eye on include Martin Parker, Mark LeGree, Justin Rogers, Kevin Hughes, Markell Carter, and Daniel Kilgore.

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Devlin looks pretty average. I watched 4 or 5 Delaware games this year and I don't remember him throwing a pass more than 20 yards downfield. He is accurate and makes good decisions on the short to intermediate routes, but a lot more is expected of an NFL QB.

Rackey apears to have played well. He is a guard at the next level, and even the top guards usually get picked up in the mid to late rounds. He will probably be a 5th rounder or later, but certainly appears to have the ability to play in the NFL.

Bogus Megapardus
January 24th, 2011, 11:20 AM
My assessment of Rackely goes only as far as Patriot/Ivy competition. In our games, he dominates without question. He's smart, big and incredibly fast at our level (much like Blake Constanzo and John Skelton and a few others of recent vintage before him) and all coaches must game-plan against him.

Rackely certainly will be in an NFL training camp this summer, but I'm not sure he'll be drafted. More likely an UFA. My hope is that he'll wind up with the Eagles. With all those years training at Saucon, I think the Eagles owe the Engineers something.

CFBfan
January 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My assessment of Rackely goes only as far as Patriot/Ivy competition. In our games, he dominates without question. He's smart, big and incredibly fast at our level (much like Blake Constanzo and John Skelton and a few others of recent vintage before him) and all coaches must game-plan against him.

Rackely certainly will be in an NFL training camp this summer, but I'm not sure he'll be drafted. More likely an UFA. My hope is that he'll wind up with the Eagles. With all those years training at Saucon, I think the Eagles owe the Engineers something.

I'm not so sure about that. Every pre-draft ranking I've read has him in the C/G position as the 5th overall pick in that position.

Franks Tanks
January 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Every pre-draft ranking I've read has him in the C/G position as the 5th overall pick in that position.

Looks like you are right. He is listed as the 6th best guard by CBS sportsline. Last year the 6th rated guard was drafted in the 4th round. All of this is of course subject to the whims of individual teams, but it looks like he will be a pretty high draft pick and he may be drafted higher than Skelton.

ngineer
January 24th, 2011, 10:48 PM

That would be excellent to see Rackley in camp back at South Mountain. Iggles certainly need help in the OL.

Franks Tanks
January 25th, 2011, 07:52 AM
[/B]

That would be excellent to see Rackley in camp back at South Mountain. Iggles certainly need help in the OL.

The Eagles seem to want big fat turds on their offensive line like Max-Giles and Nick Cole. Rackley is too athletic for the Eagles!

smallcollegefbfan
January 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM

I would be shocked if he was not drafted. I am hearing 3rd-5th round from my NFL sources.