PDA

View Full Version : Acroynm Debate Continues

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Was looking at sites made by ICS Sidearm - and noticed there was a 'SWAC' listed. Nope, not the conference web site of the league we're all thinking about...

This is the Scenic West Athletic Conference (http://www.scenicwestsports.com/), apparently a western-based JUCO league.

Go figure... first I've heard of a conference going by the name of another, as far as popularly-used acronyms are concerned...

http://www.scenicwestsports.com/images/header_home.jpg

A bit different than this one, eh?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/swac/graphics/swac-09-mast-left.gif

Redhawk2010
January 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Not quite the same, but I participated in a high school conference that used the MVC for an acronym. It was Mississippi Valley Conference rather than the Missouri Valley Conference. This was in southwestern Illinois.

OhioHen
January 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM
At least Scenic West is a geographically accurate description of the location of the conference. Not the case with Southwestern to describe a conference with half of its schools east of the Mississippi River.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Excuse me....

How is this a debate? Is either of the "SWAC" Commissioners looking into litigation? The Southwestern Athletic Conference has been around since 1920 (and has been named as such since).

So again, where is the debate?

Franks Tanks
January 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Scenic West is a classically bad name. I would like to see a Rusty Northeast conference made up of schools from Trenton, Scranton, Buffalo, Lowell, Erie, Patterson etc.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
At least Scenic West is a geographically accurate description of the location of the conference. Not the case with Southwestern to describe a conference with half of its schools east of the Mississippi River.

FYI, the Southwestern Athletic Conference was originally comprised of schools within the state of Texas.

In 1920, eight men representing six colleges from the state of Texas met to discuss collegiate athletics and the many challenges that face their respective institutions. By the time the session in Houston had concluded, they had founded an athletic league that has slowly became one of the leading sports associations in the world of collegiate athletics, the Southwestern Athletic Conference
The founding fathers of the original "Super Six" were C.H. Fuller of Bishop College, Red Randolph and C.H. Patterson of Paul Quinn, E.G. Evans, H.J. Evans and H.J. Starns of Prairie View A&M, D.C. Fuller of Texas College and G. Whitte Jordan of Wiley College.

Membership Timeline
Bishop College 1920-56
Paul Quinn College 1920-29
Sam Houston College 1920-59
Texas College 1920-68
Wiley College 1920-68
Prairie View A&M University 1920-present
Langston University 1931-57
Arkansas AM&N University 1936-70
Southern University 1934-present
Texas Southern University 1954-present
Grambling State University 1958-present
Jackson State University 1958-present
Alcorn State University 1962-present
Mississippi Valley State University 1968-present
Alabama State University 1982-present
University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff 1997-present
Alabama A&M University 1999-present

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Excuse me....

How is this a debate? Is either of the "SWAC" Commissioners looking into litigation? The Southwestern Athletic Conference has been around since 1920 (and has been named as such since).

So again, where is the debate?

It was said in jest... we've had several "acronym debates" on these forums before, including GSU and GSU (Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Grambling)... don't get too worked up!

UAalum72
January 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
.Go figure... first I've heard of a conference going by the name of another, as far as popularly-used acronyms are concerned...]

BSC - Big South or Big Sky?

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
BSC - Big South or Big Sky?

BSC = Birmingham Southern College?

Used to be Division I.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM
It was said in jest... we've had several "acronym debates" on these forums before, including GSU and GSU (Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Grambling)... don't get too worked up!

Dude, I am such the polar opposite of getting worked up about this inconsequential thread. How many times have you even counted me bragging on December 11, 2010?

downbythebeach
January 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Saint Francis University = ST FU

OhioHen
January 12th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Saint Francis University = ST FU

Classic!

HailSzczur
January 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have a cousin at Fairfield University....aka FU
as far as the comment about the SWAC teams being east of the Mississippi....i dont look into that too much, Nova's Big East for everything else and we just added eastern powerhouse TCU