PDA

View Full Version : Dan O'Connell's Voter eligibility needs to be removed

number1debater
January 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Somehow he justified not picking Eastern as #1 and instead put Delaware. The sporting network even confirmed that he meant to make this pick. I know it obviously doesn't change the fact that Eastern is the NC but do we really want this guy voting?

Here is his email and office phone number if you have comments for him
[email protected]
office phone number (410) 704-3102.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM
The man is allowed to have his opinion. It's clear that the vast majority of voters picked EWU first, so what does it matter is there is one dissenting voice? That's why they have a vote in the first place - so that the consensus voice is heard but each individual gets to contribute.

GeauxLions94
January 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The man is allowed to have his opinion. It's clear that the vast majority of voters picked EWU first, so what does it matter is there is one dissenting voice? That's why they have a vote in the first place - so that the consensus voice is heard but each individual gets to contribute.

You're right, he is entitled to his opinion. But Eastern Washington was the last man standing in the FCS playoffs, therefore should get all the No. 1 votes IMO. The winner of tonight's Auburn-Oregon game will still be undefeated, but will not be the only one left since TCU could (and should since they are also unbeaten) steal some votes.

DFW HOYA
January 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
It's a free country, and I'm not concerned if a national titleist doesn't get every vote. If one school someday was absolutely dominant and somehow fell through (or didn't compete in the playoffs) and people still wanted to vote than #1, let them. Someone else still has the title.

The polls mean little if it ends up in sequential order of the playoffs--why have a poll at all if 1-16 have to be slotted?

number1debater
January 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Are you guys kidding me? Ewu beat them head to head and became the national champion. It's a free country, fine but we shouldn't let morons make the calls. You're apathy is the reason you allow idiots in the government. These are the three terrible arguments you east coast hacks.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Are you guys kidding me? Ewu beat them head to head and became the national champion. It's a free country, fine but we shouldn't let morons make the calls. You're apathy is the reason you allow idiots in the government. These are the three terrible arguments you east coast hacks.

Your argument falls apart for that reason. EWU was still ranked #1 because everyone else thought that was the spot they deserved - EWU won the 'election'. What you are saying is that Mr. O'Connell shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours.

Side Judge
January 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM
C'mon - EWU beat daHenz straight up with all the marbles on the line - they should be the unanimous #1 (and I'm a Hen alum and huge fan). I'm not even sure why there is a post season poll, unless they want to work out 3 through 25...

number1debater
January 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Your argument falls apart for that reason. EWU was still ranked #1 because everyone else thought that was the spot they deserved - EWU won the 'election'. What you are saying is that Mr. O'Connell shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours.

No, what I'm saying is that the fact you are willing to be "ok" with him not voting for someone who beat your sorry team should upset you. The fact you are apathetic is the problem, not the fact that the other voters got it right. Man up bluehen, you lost.

Go...gate
January 11th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I think very highly of UD's program, but EWU won it on the field against Delaware. How can you not vote EWU the NCAA Champion?

Rekdiver
January 11th, 2011, 06:09 AM
The vote is meaningless...........Why do they have a vote if there is a playoff? I'd be ashamed to take the vote and not renounce it. I think it reflects poorly on the CAA.

cougarpines
January 11th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Unlike the FBS we all know who the champion is. If this happens here how f uped is the FBS.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
No, what I'm saying is that the fact you are willing to be "ok" with him not voting for someone who beat your sorry team should upset you. The fact you are apathetic is the problem, not the fact that the other voters got it right. Man up bluehen, you lost.

Why should I be upset? It's a meaningless postseason poll. Personally, I believe EWU should have the #1 spot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to call for someone who disagrees with me to give up his vote and renounce his decision. Sometimes people will have opinions that differ from yours - that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to have those opinions.

Cocky
January 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Everyone settle down, he has applied for a job at UD. This will look good on the resume.

Professor Chaos
January 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
We do with the guys in the stripes on the field and the guy up in the replay booth so why not do the same in the polls?

number1debater
January 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Why should I be upset? It's a meaningless postseason poll. Personally, I believe EWU should have the #1 spot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to call for someone who disagrees with me to give up his vote and renounce his decision. Sometimes people will have opinions that differ from yours - that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to have those opinions.

Yeah, but they beat you head to head. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

number1debater
January 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
We do with the guys in the stripes on the field and the guy up in the replay booth so why not do the same in the polls?

Touche

AshevilleApp2
January 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Who cares?

GSU EAGLES
January 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Somehow he justified not picking Eastern as #1 and instead put Delaware. The sporting network even confirmed that he meant to make this pick. I know it obviously doesn't change the fact that Eastern is the NC but do we really want this guy voting?

Here is his email and office phone number if you have comments for him
[email protected]
office phone number (410) 704-3102.

I thought the whole point of the playoffs is that the national champion is determined on the field. This makes no sense. They can vote for # 2-25 if they want, but there should not be a vote cast on who is #1.

Rekdiver
January 11th, 2011, 04:09 PM
The guy is a closet FBS fan and he likes to think his vote matters................HEY IDIOT........IT DOESN"T. THE FINAL POLL WAS DECIDED ON THE FIELD

number1debater
January 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Here was his response to my email
Dear xxx

How can you assume that this is “the epitome of bitter and east coast bias?”

Why should you be ashamed of my actions?

I truly believe that Delaware was beaten by an egregious administrative error by the officials. Mario Brown was clearly short of the first down in the fourth quarter. If the chains had not been moved, I firmly believe that he would have short of the first down and Delaware would have taken over on downs.

Although Eastern Washington won the game, Delaware dominated the first 40 minutes and Delaware dominated the game statistically. If the ball had been spotted correctly, Delaware would have won.

When the ball was spotted erroneously, it seemed like more than the UD defense could handle. They had been on the field for a long time.

I didn’t mean to disrespect Eastern Washington in any way. They won the trophy and they are the national champions. Their impressive come-from-behind rally was outstanding. The fact that it was accomplished against a terrific defense made it even more impressive.
Polls are opinions and not everyone is going to agree.
Dan

Skjellyfetti
January 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Sounds like he forgets that Delaware got the ball with plenty of time to try to move the ball down the field to get in field goal range... but failed.

The result of the game cannot be blamed on the officials.

asu3peat
January 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Also sounds like he forgot that stats don't win ballgames and neither does dominating the game for X amount of time. The only thing that matters at the end of the game is the scoreboard. ASU dominated JMU for a half of football back in '08 only to be dominated in the 2nd half and lose. ASU was dominated by UTC in the first game of the 2010 season for 3 quarters, while ASU dominated the 4th quarter to comeback and win.

I guess everyone is allowed an opinion but only those who use logic and facts to back their opinion up will be respected. This AD and his opinion are a joke. Congrats to the #1 EWU EAGLES for WINNING the D1 FCS Championship...on the field!!!

GannonFan
January 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Also sounds like he forgot that stats don't win ballgames and neither does dominating the game for X amount of time. The only thing that matters at the end of the game is the scoreboard. ASU dominated JMU for a half of football back in '08 only to be dominated in the 2nd half and lose. ASU was dominated by UTC in the first game of the 2010 season for 3 quarters, while ASU dominated the 4th quarter to comeback and win.

I guess everyone is allowed an opinion but only those who use logic and facts to back their opinion up will be respected. This AD and his opinion are a joke. Congrats to the #1 EWU EAGLES for WINNING the D1 FCS Championship...on the field!!!

And that's the point - the title was won on the field. Who really cares about any post season poll when the title is already awarded without the poll? Polls at the FCS level shouldn't happen after the regular season is over.

Big Al
January 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
And that's the point - the title was won on the field. Who really cares about any post season poll when the title is already awarded without the poll? Polls at the FCS level shouldn't happen after the regular season is over.

Quoted for truth. Why people are getting worked up over a poll is completely silly. People can legitimately argue that Delaware could/should be the best team in the nation but as we all know, the better team doesn't always win.

Doesn't change the fact that EWU has the hardware and that's what we're all really after, isn't it?

Green26
January 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I didn't like the "fluke" play (and rule/call) that allowed Auburn to get into better position to kick the winning FG (see below article), so I'm taking the position that Oregon is the best team in FBS. I was initially disappointed that the SEC didn't get beaten in the championship game, but after seeing O'Connell's vote and explanation, I feel much better.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41010147/ns/sports-college_football/

SpeedkingATL
January 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
A vote other than for EWU is both ignorant and arrogant when the rules of the Championship have already been determined as the winner of a 20 team playoff.

Big Al
January 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
A vote other than for EWU is both ignorant and arrogant when the rules of the Championship have already been determined as the winner of a 20 team playoff.

I didn't know there was anything in NCAA bylaws requiring their champion be universally named #1 in the polls?

Side Judge
January 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Quoted for truth. Why people are getting worked up over a poll is completely silly. People can legitimately argue that Delaware could/should be the best team in the nation but as we all know, the better team doesn't always win.

Doesn't change the fact that EWU has the hardware and that's what we're all really after, isn't it?

As a Hen fan I'm actually embarrassed that someone would vote us #1 - it's just a reminder that we had every opportunity to win and we didn't, pure and simple. EWU played the better game and won the NC on the field as it should be.

ngineer
January 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think very highly of UD's program, but EWU won it on the field against Delaware. How can you not vote EWU the NCAA Champion?

That's the distinction. They are NOT voting for a NCAA Champion. A poll is merely a subjective opinion of which team is best. The best team does not always win a game. EWU is the NCAA Champion. If someone thinks Delaware is a better team, then so be it. That's why polls, imo, are utterly worthless. Nothing more than subjective opinion on who's the better team. I think EWU and UD are very, very close to each other and if they played 10 times might split 5 each.

cmaxwellgsu
January 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM
It is definitely meaningless, but to vote that way is majorly disrespectful. I'm in agreement with the ballot only having positions 2-25, but that just makes it even more meaningless. If someone actually has the brass to call him up and talk man to man about it admitting they're from a message board, well then this would be one entertaining thread...

Rekdiver
January 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I just read his response.............I am speechless..........

ngineer
January 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I just read his response.............I am speechless..........

Reminds me of the old joke about Sir Lancelot and Lady Guenivire, who had been fitted with a chasity belt with a small guillotine built into it. .....

JohnStOnge
January 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
As noted, the poll is irrelevant. That's what's nice about FCS.