PDA

View Full Version : AGS 2010 Post Playoff Poll Results.

GreatAppSt
January 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points

1. Eastern Washington (26) 674
2. Delaware (1)* 648
3. Villanova 617
4. Georgia Southern 571
5. Appalachian St. 558
6. North Dakota St. 522
7. New Hampshire 499
8. Wofford 495
9. William & Mary 447
10. Montana St. 415
11. Stephen F. Austin 406
12. Jacksonville St. 373
13. Southeast Missouri St. 316
14. Lehigh 296
15. Pennsylvania 260
16. Western Illinois 252
17. Northern Iowa 210
18. Bethune-Cookman 207
19. South Carolina St. 148
20. Montana 146
21. Massachusetts 94
22. Robert Morris 87
23. Liberty 76
24. Cal Poly 66
25. Coastal Carolina 56
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville (11), Richmond (11), Chattanooga (9), James Madison (9), Sacramento St. (6), Grambling St. (4),
MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Eastern Washington
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Delaware

Pard4Life
January 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
An e-mail reminder for the final poll would have been nice...

GreatAppSt
January 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
An e-mail reminder for the final poll would have been nice... Been a little busy here on this end (buying new home and moving) sorry.

AppAlum2003
January 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I mean, the final game ending doesn't sort of signal the end of the season or anything...

Dblue
January 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM

2. Delaware (1)* 648
3. Villanova 617
4. Georgia Southern 571
5. Appalachian St. 558

Who's the tool that gave Delaware a vote? The game's over, Eastern Washington won. Congrats to the victor, they were the better team that night. I can't take all the crying and gnashing of teeth I've read in the paper here in the first state. For crying out loud let it go News-Journal, the Eagles beat the Hens 20 -19, EWU is the National Champion.

Anovafan
January 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Who's the tool that gave Delaware a vote? The game's over, Eastern Washington won. Congrats to the victor, they were the better team that night. I can't take all the crying and gnashing of teeth I've read in the paper here in the first state. For crying out loud let it go News-Journal, the Eagles beat the Hens 20 -19, EWU is the National Champion.

Someone did it in the TSN poll as well. Tresolini???

GreatAppSt
January 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?80814-Final-AGS-Voting-Now-Open&p=1606303&viewfull=1#post1606303

EWU was not my No. 1 team.

Lulu
January 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
An e-mail reminder for the final poll would have been nice...

When I sent out emails, more than half of the voters told me not to email them again. So I discontinued the email.

GeauxLions94
January 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Here was my final vote ... nailed 8 of the top 10 (would have had first 10 in order; flip-flopped on Wofford/New Hampshire) ... top 20 went to playoff teams. 21-25 were total tossups with Liberty, Penn and UMASS on the outside.

FINAL
Approved
1. Eastern Washington
2. Delaware
3. Villanova
4. Georgia Southern
5. Appalachian St.
6. North Dakota St.
7. Wofford
8. New Hampshire
9. William & Mary
10. Montana St.
11. Southeast Missouri St.
12. Stephen F. Austin
13. Jacksonville St.
14. Bethune-Cookman
15. Lehigh
16. Western Illinois
17. Northern Iowa
18. South Carolina St.
19. Robert Morris
20. Coastal Carolina
21. Texas Southern (9-3)
22. Florida A&M (8-3)
23. Cal Poly (7-4)
24. Montana (7-4)
25. Grambling St. (9-2)

Tod
January 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM

2. Delaware (1)* 648
3. Villanova 617
4. Georgia Southern 571
5. Appalachian St. 558
6. North Dakota St. 522
7. New Hampshire 499
8. Wofford 495
9. William & Mary 447
10. Montana St. 415
11. Stephen F. Austin 406
12. Jacksonville St. 373
13. Southeast Missouri St. 316
14. Lehigh 296
15. Pennsylvania 260
16. Western Illinois 252
17. Northern Iowa 210
18. Bethune-Cookman 207
19. South Carolina St. 148
20. Montana 146
21. Massachusetts 94
22. Robert Morris 87
23. Liberty 76
24. Cal Poly 66
25. Coastal Carolina 56
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville (11), Richmond (11), Chattanooga (9), James Madison (9), Sacramento St. (6), Grambling St. (4),
MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Eastern Washington
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Delaware

Usually an asterisk means there will be an explanation at the bottom of the page. What does this one mean, that a sphincter submitted the vote?

GSU Eagle
January 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM
As I said before anyone who voted a team other than Eastern Washington #1 in the final poll should have had his/her ballot thrown out. AGS got it right-- the 4 teams that were in the semis were the top 4 teams.

boonegoon
January 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
As I said before anyone who voted a team other than Eastern Washington #1 in the final poll should have had his/her ballot thrown out. AGS got it right-- the 4 teams that were in the semis were the top 4 teams.

I have to agree. It is all ceremonial window dressing any way. I think it is crap that anyone would vote for someone else.

JMUNJ08
January 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I have to agree. It is all ceremonial window dressing any way. I think it is crap that anyone would vote for someone else.

And be approved....

TheValleyRaider
January 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Alright LFN, I'll bite

Why did you vote for Delaware? xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Alright LFN, I'll bite

Why did you vote for Delaware? xconfusedx

It was a protest vote to demonstrate that the officiating in the Division I NCAA Football Championship playoffs needs to get the calls right. My position is that we don't really know who the champion would have been since to two different sets of inept officials (I am keeping the EWU/Villanova game out of this, though some think that game should be included as well) made gigantic blunders that changed the outcome of two games.

None of this changes the fact that EWU are this year's national champions. They are, and always will be. The Eagles did a great job with the extra opportunity presented to them in the NC game, and in fact were handed the victory when the crew in the NDSU game when the officiating crew made the incorrect call and the replay booth would not overturn what was obvious to TV spectators what was obviously not a fumble. The Eagles probably would have won the game eventually anyway - as they probably would have in the Championship game too - but we'll never know for sure, thanks to the officiating.

Thanks to two officiating crews that couldn't do their jobs properly, this year's championship will always have some level of lingering doubt.

Since the officiating was so bush league, and the championship was not determined with acceptable officiating (in my opinion), I feel I'm free to speculate in the final poll who the champion might have been with officiating crews that got the calls right. Based on that, I think Delaware is the best team. EWU is still champion, but we'll never know who the best team was thanks to the officials.

None of their playoff games were without at least 1 disputed critical call in favor of the Eagles. The NDSU game had five bad calls on the field and 3 bad calls in the replay booth for a total of 8 calls directly affecting the games outcome. All of the EWU scores in regulation were directly attributable to bad calls improperly advancing drives. We have the film as do the Blue Hens and Nova.

Until now the response has mainly been something like good teams find a way to win or something similar like you are a sore loser.

My feeling is there should be an attempt made to improve the officiating. I suggest:

1) peer review
2) accountability
3) education

boonegoon
January 11th, 2011, 11:23 AM
It was a protest vote to demonstrate that the officiating in the Division I NCAA Football Championship playoffs needs to get the calls right. My position is that we don't really know who the champion would have been since to two different sets of inept officials (I am keeping the EWU/Villanova game out of this, though some think that game should be included as well) made gigantic blunders that changed the outcome of two games.

None of this changes the fact that EWU are this year's national champions. They are, and always will be. The Eagles did a great job with the extra opportunity presented to them in the NC game, and in fact were handed the victory when the crew in the NDSU game when the officiating crew made the incorrect call and the replay booth would not overturn what was obvious to TV spectators what was obviously not a fumble. The Eagles probably would have won the game eventually anyway - as they probably would have in the Championship game too - but we'll never know for sure, thanks to the officiating.

Thanks to two officiating crews that couldn't do their jobs properly, this year's championship will always have some level of lingering doubt.

Since the officiating was so bush league, and the championship was not determined with acceptable officiating (in my opinion), I feel I'm free to speculate in the final poll who the champion might have been with officiating crews that got the calls right. Based on that, I think Delaware is the best team. EWU is still champion, but we'll never know who the best team was thanks to the officials.

This is why the post season poll is a farce. Now, I can get on with the important stuff in my life. Signing off.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Officiating is part of the game. Turnovers are part of the game. Injuries are part of the game. Weather conditions are part of the game. Every team can go to their schedule and point out circumstances where the factors mentioned above changed the outcome of a game. So what?

Saying "Delaware is the better team" is total crap. Instead of "improving officiating", you might suggest that all football teams:

1) Score TD's instead of FG's in the Red Zone.
2) Play fundamentally sound in every phase of the game.
3) Execute without committing penalties.

You thought Delaware was a better team before the game and now you're trying to justify your reasoning so you won't be wrong. You were wrong. EWU is better than Delaware.

Chemhen
January 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
The REAL question is who dared put Delaware #3. eh, eh, am I right?

fball27
January 11th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Officiating is part of the game. Turnovers are part of the game. Injuries are part of the game. Weather conditions are part of the game. Every team can go to their schedule and point out circumstances where the factors mentioned above changed the outcome of a game. So what?

Saying "Delaware is the better team" is total crap. Instead of "improving officiating", you might suggest that all football teams:

1) Score TD's instead of FG's in the Red Zone.
2) Play fundamentally sound in every phase of the game.
3) Execute without committing penalties.

You thought Delaware was a better team before the game and now you're trying to justify your reasoning so you won't be wrong. You were wrong. EWU is better than Delaware.

You hit the nail on the head. EWU is the better team, they proved it on the field. Delaware still had the chance to put the game to bed when they got the ball back. Didn't happen! Why? Because they weren't the better team. They blew it themselves.

soccerguy315
January 11th, 2011, 03:11 PM
The REAL question is who dared put Delaware #3. eh, eh, am I right?

maybe someone who saw Villanova beat Delaware @Delaware in the last week of the regular season. IMO Villanova has legit claims to the #2 spot, not that it really matters.

fball27
January 11th, 2011, 04:09 PM
maybe someone who saw Villanova beat Delaware @Delaware in the last week of the regular season. IMO Villanova has legit claims to the #2 spot, not that it really matters.

Considering it cost Delaware the outright CAA title and secured a playoff spot for Villanova, I have to agree with you.

TheValleyRaider
January 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Always an intriguing opinion, LFN, but in this I think you are sorely mistaken

As otherwise stated, officiating is part of the game, but mistakes and bad calls happen. If you want to argue the bad fourth down spot (for example), was an egregious error that cost UD the game, why should we not point to the 1000 other moments through the evening where the Hens could have put it away and not given EWU the chance (PATs, for starters)? Why should we not question any kind of poor condition, such as the terrible turf from 2004? Was JMU the beneficiary of a bad situation, but Montana possibly the superior team? It seems a foolish argument when the championship structure is solely predicated on on-field performance, and in those instances EWU and JMU prevailed. Having faced EWU on the field, and coming up short in several ways beyond a poor call, UD proved they were not the better team.

Your argument is further weakened by your own admission that "The Eagles probably would have won the game(s) anyway." If that were true, then how does protesting their championship call attention to anything in particular?

I promise you, no one feels worse about bad or missed calls than the officials themselves (ask your avatar Jim Joyce about that). Their mistakes, though, hardly delegitimize what happened and its significance, and at worst represent a fortuitous set of circumstances that the Eagles were able to continuously capitalize upon. In the end, I fail to see what you've really accomplished here xtwocentsx

eaglewraith
January 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM

So the fact that Delaware got the ball back with plenty of time on the clock to get in FG position to win the game....and failed to do so....means the refs screwed up?

That makes so much sense.