PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee State Reaction to Atlanta Classic Change

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2011, 07:02 AM
The first time since 1994 that Tennessee State will not be participating in the Atlanta Football Classic... they were replaced by Southern in the game, that will pit the Jaguars against FAMU...

Tennessee State AD says they are seeking an FBS foe or a "prominent" FCS opponent... anyone looking?

Phillips said she became aware several weeks ago that officials from the Atlanta Football Classic were negotiating with Southern University as an opponent for Florida A&M to replace TSU. She received official word last week that the Tigers would not be invited back.

"We were prepared for this to possibly happen and already were working on finding an alternative game," Phillips said. "We're talking with a potential FBS opponent along with a couple of prominent FCS opponents to replace that (Sept. 24) game."

Phillips declined to say which schools she is talking with but said a deal could be finalized by the end of January.

She also said she hopes to get Florida A&M back on the schedule after 2011 with hopes of maintaining the rivalry between the two schools. FAMU leads the series 26-25-1.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110110/SPORTS06/101100311/Atlanta+Classic+drops+TSU+from+2011+schedule

Redhawk2010
January 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I got an idea... PLAY THE CONFERENCE SCHEDULE. If I'm the OVC office, I mandate they play the 9th game of the conference schedule. Make it work. Either that or start letting other teams play one less conference game and let them pick up another money game.

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Has there been any more in OVC territory about the Tennessee State invite to the SWAC?

See this thread - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?80104-SWAC-invites-Tennessee-State-to-join - for more

wheatstraw78
January 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Redhawk2010, the OVC courted us heavily back in the late 90's. This is the deal that we negotiated. Don't be upset at us. This not the first time that you have had something negative to say about Tenn State Univ. You guys have had one successful season and now you want to make yourself known.

Redhawk2010
January 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Redhawk2010, the OVC courted us heavily back in the late 90's. This is the deal that we negotiated. Don't be upset at us. This not the first time that you have had something negative to say about Tenn State Univ. You guys have had one successful season and now you want to make yourself known.

I've been upset for quite awhile about that. Both with the OVC for allowing it and for you all expecting it. I've had this complaint long before SEMO had its good year this year. Growing up I was an EIU fan. It's dumb that they've allowed it. And especially since now there is one less "Classics" game that was a part of the deal, TSU should not get to add another nonconference game-- they should play the FULL conference schedule.

Golden Eagle
January 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
TSU brings more to the conference than any of the other member schools. It is not surprising (nor inappropriate) that the conference would give concessions to them to gain their membership.

Redhawk2010
January 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM
If the OVC is an afterthought to the TSU fans, it's time they move on. Why aren't the other conference schools up in arms about the unequal scheduling?

Posted on the TSU fan message board:

Is it possible that TSU doesn't want to enter into a multi year contract with the AC because maybe they want to schedule FAMU for 2012 homecoming? After all I think it would be very wise to try to schedule one of our historic rivals for 2012 homecoming versus one of the OVC schools

Umm... you play in a conference. The conference schedule should be Priority #1! Your nonconference schedule should work around the conference games; not the other way around.

WestCoastAggie
January 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM
If the OVC is an afterthought to the TSU fans, it's time they move on. Why aren't the other conference schools up in arms about the unequal scheduling?

Posted on the TSU fan message board:

Umm... you play in a conference. The conference schedule should be Priority #1! Your nonconference schedule should work around the conference games; not the other way around.

They got a message board?

Redhawk2010
January 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM
http://tsutigerfans.yuku.com/forums/63/t/The-Roar-TSU-Sports-Message-Board.html

mikebigg
January 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Big Blue... I think Gram has an opening? Yall wanna dance?

JSU02
January 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know the exact wording of the TSU agreement that lets them play an extra classic game at the expense of a conference game? If it only requires them to play 7 games then i guess they can do whatever they want to, but if it says that the game must be a classic game then they may not have the option of play an FBS or "prominent" FCS school. I say they OVC should use this opportunity along with TSU's SACS probation to play hardball with them. Either schedule the extra OVC game, or take the SWAC up on their invite.

Redhawk2010
January 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know the exact wording of the TSU agreement that lets them play an extra classic game at the expense of a conference game? If it only requires them to play 7 games then i guess they can do whatever they want to, but if it says that the game must be a classic game then they may not have the option of play an FBS or "prominent" FCS school. I say they OVC should use this opportunity along with TSU's SACS probation to play hardball with them. Either schedule the extra OVC game, or take the SWAC up on their invite.

Agreed. It's time for the OVC to be a priority; not an afterthought..

Big Dawg
January 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM

The thing is, TSU has to do what's best for them. I'm pretty sure Tiger fans get more excited when FAMU, SU, JSU, and AAMU are on the schedule during the early season. It was smart for TSU to have an agreement like that.

Honestly I hope that agreement remains, because TSU and FAMU should always play each other.

wheatstraw78
January 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
mikebigg what brings you over to this board? I would love to have the ICON back on the schedule. Unfortunately for us, you play Prairie View that weekend.
Hey Big Blue... I think Gram has an opening? Yall wanna dance?

mikebigg
January 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM
mikebigg what brings you over to this board? I would love to have the ICON back on the schedule. Unfortunately for us, you play Prairie View that weekend.

Oh, I visit from time to time to catch up on the latest SWAC bashings!

WestCoastAggie
January 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, I visit from time to time to catch up on the latest SWAC bashings!

You could just always join MFZ.com LOL!!! We need more Grambling Posters.

But I digress...

I want to see Murray State return to Nashville. Both teams will be at the top of the Conference in 2011.

WestCoastAggie
January 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM
ATL Classic Revenue and Expenses as reported on 100 Black Men’s 2008 Form 990

Revenue

Gross Receipts $3,131,126

Less Charitable Contributions $-1,429,320

Gross Revenue $1,701,806

Direct Expenses

Rent/facility cost $95,500

Other Direct Exp. $1,807,937

Net Income $-201,631

FAMU and TSU both received $450,508 cash grant.

http://tsutigerfans.yuku.com/topic/2279/TSU-The-ATL-Classic?page=1

glsjunior
January 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
That doesn't include money made by TSU and FAMU from merchandise sales.

blaw0203
March 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
If Tennessee State really wants to continue playing FAMU, then they should join the MEAC. FAMU has to meet its conference obligations, play in the ATL Classic, then play an FBS money game; all of that pretty much excludes Tennessee State as an option. There isnt enough money wrapped up in a home-away game setup for a FAMU/TSU matchup.