PDA

View Full Version : As predicted, Moses wins Payton

smallcollegefbfan
January 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
JEREMY MOSES WINS 2010 WALTER PAYTON AWARD
Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - Jeremy Moses' record-setting passing ability often separated Stephen F. Austin from opposing teams.

Thursday night, the senior quarterback separated himself in the 2010 Walter Payton Award balloting, securing more than two times as many first-place votes as any other candidate, while becoming the 24th annual winner of the Football Championship Subdivision's most prestigious award as the national player of the year. The Sports Network presents and Fathead.com sponsors the Payton Award.

Moses gained 37 of the 130 first-place votes and finished with 372 points. Quarterbacks Matt Barr of Western Illinois and DeAndre Presley of Appalachian State, who also were on hand at the FCS awards presentation, finished second and third, respectively, with 262 and 182 points.

During the regular season, the 6-foot, 195-pound Moses led the FCS in pass attempts (499), completions (303), touchdown passes (34) and passing yards (3,658), yet threw only four interceptions. He helped lead the Lumberjacks to the Southland Conference title and into the playoffs for a second straight season. They lost in the second round and finished with a 9-3 record.

"It's a huge team effort," Moses said. "In this offense, you have to have 11 guys on the same page. When you're not, bad things happen. All my success, I credit to my teammates. And I'll continue to do that 'til I die. I'd be nowhere without the guys I played with."

Moses is the first Southland Conference player to win the Payton Award. In 1989, SFA quarterback Todd Hammel was the runner-up. Over his four-year career, Moses completed an FCS-record 1,184 passes (on 1,893 attempts) for 13,401 yards and 121 touchdowns.

"What we do isn't very complicated," Moses said. "Our play-calling into certain coverages has gotten really simple. We know what we're looking for on the defensive side of the ball and we know what plays we want to run against it. That comes with a lot of film study and experience."

Barr, a 6-2, 210-pound senior, was the Missouri Valley Football Conference Offensive Player of the Year. During the regular season, he completed 216-of-358 pass attempts (60.3 percent) for 3,312 yards and 26 touchdowns with only seven interceptions, while rushing for seven touchdowns.

Presley, a 5-11, 170-pound junior, helped Appalachian State to a share of its sixth-straight Southern Conference title and the No. 1 seed for the playoffs. During the regular season, the SoCon Offensive Player of the Year completed 177-of-280 pass attempts (63.2 percent) for 2,223 yards and 18 touchdowns against only four interceptions, while rushing for 753 yards and 11 touchdowns.

The Payton Award was voted on by a national panel of sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries.

In addition to Moses winning the Payton Award at the national awards presentation, Eastern Washington senior linebacker J.C. Sherritt captured the Buck Buchanan Award, which is given to the FCS' outstanding defensive player, and Southeast Missouri State's Tony Samuel won the Eddie Robinson Award, which honors the FCS' coach of the year. The Sports Network presents and Fathead.com also sponsors those two awards.

2010 WALTER PAYTON AWARD VOTING
NAME (SCHOOL) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Jeremy Moses, Stephen F. Austin 37 24 17 17 6 372
Matt Barr, Western Illinois 17 21 17 13 16 262
DeAndre Presley, Appalachian State 13 13 12 8 13 182
Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington 11 12 8 19 4 169
Henry Harris, SE Missouri State 11 10 10 10 10 155
Nate Eachus, Colgate 6 9 12 14 14 144
Denarius McGhee, Montana State 5 7 7 5 8 92
Raymond Webber, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2 8 5 9 11 86
Casey Therriault, Jackson State 3 7 11 2 5 85
Ben Ijalana, Willanova 3 4 6 7 12 75
Mike Brown, Liberty 3 4 6 8 4 69
Pat Devlin, Delaware 5 5 3 2 10 68
Scott Riddle, Elon 2 1 8 5 6 54
Chris Whitney, Villanova 2 0 4 7 2 38
Tysson Poots, Southern Utah 6 1 0 0 3 37
Frank Warren, Grambling State 4 1 2 0 1 31
Chris Evans, Samford 0 1 1 0 2 9
Kyle Minett, South Dakota State 0 0 1 2 1 8
*Eric Breitenstein, Wofford 0 1 0 1 0 6
Chase Reynolds, Montana 0 1 0 0 0 4
Steve Valentino, Dayton 0 0 0 1 1 3
*Marcus Harris, Murray State 0 0 0 0 1 1
*Write-In Votes.

Mr. C
January 6th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Not even the best quarterback, let alone the best player in FCS.

'neers80
January 6th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Szczur was the best player in the fcs when hes healthy. delvin can make an argument too. but the system is what it is, congrats to moses.

CrazyCat
January 6th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Congrats to Moses

and a special shout out to D. McGhee coming in 7th with 3 more years to go.

TheValleyRaider
January 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Congrats to SFA and Moses xsmileyclapx

And to Nate Eachus coming in 6th with one more year to go. Big senior year Nate! xhurrayx

Mr. C
January 7th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Szczur was the best player in the fcs when hes healthy. delvin can make an argument too. but the system is what it is, congrats to moses.

Actually, the best player in FCS this season was Villanova left tackle Ben Ijalana.

gsugt1
January 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Not even the best quarterback, let alone the best player in FCS.

Who is better ? Anyone in FCS have better stats ?

the 6-foot, 195-pound Moses led the FCS in pass attempts (499), completions (303), touchdown passes (34) and passing yards (3,658), yet threw only four interceptions.

HenZoneNation
January 7th, 2011, 02:31 PM

the 6-foot, 195-pound Moses led the FCS in pass attempts (499), completions (303), touchdown passes (34) and passing yards (3,658), yet threw only four interceptions.

If you have him on your fantasy football team then that's true...but there's a lot more than just stats...who you play, how well you played in critical games, how well you played against tougher talent...I'm not knocking him at all...great numbers, team made the playoffs... I just don't think he's the best player in the FCS...If you look at the history of the this award there have been some hits an misses. It's hard for me to take this award seriously when Joe Flacco finished 18th in his Senior Year...

Mr. C
January 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM

I'm sorry, but the best player shouldn't be about a system quarterback putting up stats. A lot of experts will tell you that Pat Devlin is the best quarterback in FCS and I didn't see any player better than tackle Ben Ijalana in my travels around the country and in watching film of FCS players this season.

Mr. C
January 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
If you have him on your fantasy football team then that's true...but there's a lot more than just stats...who you play, how well you played in critical games, how well you played against tougher talent...I'm not knocking him at all...great numbers, team made the playoffs... I just don't think he's the best player in the FCS...If you look at the history of the this award there have been some hits an misses. It's hard for me to take this award seriously when Joe Flacco finished 18th in his Senior Year...

Just to remind you, Delaware pushed Omar Cuff for the award that year and he finished fourth in the voting.

msupigskin
January 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Congrats to Moses and all the players who had outstanding seasons in 2010.

Who look like front-runners for 2011? If a QB is the usual winner then stats from this season point to Brown (Liberty, Sr), Therriault (Jackson St, Sr), Brockman (Murray St, Jr), DeMarco (ODU, Sr), Sorensen (So Utah, Jr), Presley (App St, Sr), McGhee (Montana St, So), Coleman (Chattoonaga, Sr) and McGregor (Jacksonville, Sr). RBs in contention should be Eachus (Colgate, Sr) and Jones (EWU, Sr). Of course, part of the decision will depend on how far each of these players leads their individual teams during the season.

JohnStOnge
January 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM

I agree with others. As a McNeese fan I have seen a number of quarterbacks over the years such that I really "feared" them or thought, "man, that's really a great player." Moses is not one of them. Nathan Brown of Central Arkansas, Josh McCown of Sam Houston State, Brad Zellar of Nicholls State, Craig Nall of Northwestern State, Barrick Nealy of Texas State come to mind in relatively recent years. Heck, before he graduated I "feared" Bradley George of Texas State more than I ever "feared" Moses.

If he was the best player in FCS, FCS was really down in terms of having good players this past season.

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I agree with others. As a McNeese fan I have seen a number of quarterbacks over the years such that I really "feared" them or thought, "man, that's really a great player." Moses is not one of them. Nathan Brown of Central Arkansas, Josh McCown of Sam Houston State, Brad Zellar of Nicholls State, Craig Nall of Northwestern State, Barrick Nealy of Texas State come to mind in relatively recent years. Heck, before he graduated I "feared" Bradley George of Texas State more than I ever "feared" Moses.

If he was the best player in FCS, FCS was really down in terms of having good players this past season.

Moses had the best numbers but he was not the best player on his team even. They have two receivers I would take on an all-star team ahead of Moses.

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Udchuck,

I saw your post before you deleted it. You really need to get over yourself. Just because nobody voted for Valentino does not mean it is a complete sham. Yes Moses should not have won it but he had the best numbers. Your comment about Presley winning it for sure is completely stupid. If he has a bad year or someone else has better numbers he won't win it. You make yourself look very stupid with comments like that. Presley will win it if his numbers are more gaudy than everyone else. If Taiwan Jones was returning and stayed healthy he would be the favorite to win IMO. You really need to stop hating on this stuff for the reasons you are. Yes the award was a joke this year because the wrong person won, maybe that is true. But it is not just a popularity contest. And even if it was to be the most popular you have to have the best numbers. Valentino did nothing to warrant serious consideration for the award. Heck there were write-in candidates who got more votes than him. Just relax man. No award is fixed.

HailSzczur
January 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I didnt see any of Moses in the regular season, upon which the voting was based.....but from the showing he put up against us in the first round he hardly seemed payton worthy.
Im not sure if Devlin was necessarily Payton worthy either, but he was the best from the CAA for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I didnt see any of Moses in the regular season, upon which the voting was based.....but from the showing he put up against us in the first round he hardly seemed payton worthy.
Im not sure if Devlin was necessarily Payton worthy either, but he was the best from the CAA for sure.

Agreed. I think we need to include the playoffs because most of the candidates are in the playoffs anyway and it would give voters a chance to actually see them play.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Udchuck,

I saw your post before you deleted it. You really need to get over yourself. Just because nobody voted for Valentino does not mean it is a complete sham. Yes Moses should not have won it but he had the best numbers. Your comment about Presley winning it for sure is completely stupid. If he has a bad year or someone else has better numbers he won't win it. You make yourself look very stupid with comments like that. Presley will win it if his numbers are more gaudy than everyone else. If Taiwan Jones was returning and stayed healthy he would be the favorite to win IMO. You really need to stop hating on this stuff for the reasons you are. Yes the award was a joke this year because the wrong person won, maybe that is true. But it is not just a popularity contest. And even if it was to be the most popular you have to have the best numbers. Valentino did nothing to warrant serious consideration for the award. Heck there were write-in candidates who got more votes than him. Just relax man. No award is fixed.

This is exactly why I deleted that post,I didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion about my observations, However, I stand 100 % behind those statements I made.Presley WILL WIN next year,( Baring injury )No doubt about.Do me a favor,give me a list of things the Payton Award is based on.

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM
This is exactly why I deleted that post,I didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion about my observations, However, I stand 100 % behind those statements I made.Presley WILL WIN next year,No doubt about.As far as Tino is concerned I'll make my case later.I really didn't want to spend the time.

I wanted to bet posting rights on Valentino finishing outside of the top 20 and you said you were done posting here anyway and you weren't. Now you make this statement on Presley and it is completely stupid because you can't guarantee that. He could get hurt or someone else could have a better year or he could have a bad year. Did you actually see him play? He did not play well the last four or fives weeks of the season, especially passing the ball. The only week he played well late in the year was against WIU but he didn't pass well in that game yet won it by running the ball. Had Payton voting extended through the playoffs I don't think Presley would have been in the top 5.

Saint3333
January 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Had Payton voting extended through the playoffs I don't think Presley would have been in the top 5.

None of the finalists may have.

proasu89
January 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Correct!

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM

That is so true. I personally didn't have any of the three finalists in my top 5 but had we included the playoffs I believe most voters would have followed in that. I said it before and I'll say it again that Ben Ijalana, Taiwan Jones, and Pat Devlin all three should have been above the three finalists and I think you could make a case for 2 or 3 others over Moses and Barr for sure. Presley did have a stint where he was lights out though so I can see why some folks had him in their top 3-4.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I wanted to bet posting rights on Valentino finishing outside of the top 20 and you said you were done posting here anyway and you weren't. Now you make this statement on Presley and it is completely stupid because you can't guarantee that. He could get hurt or someone else could have a better year or he could have a bad year. Did you actually see him play? He did not play well the last four or fives weeks of the season, especially passing the ball. The only week he played well late in the year was against WIU but he didn't pass well in that game yet won it by running the ball. Had Payton voting extended through the playoffs I don't think Presley would have been in the top 5.

DID ALL THE VOTERS SEE ALL THE PLAYERS ON THE LIST PLAY ??????????????????Did YOU see all the players on your top 5 play all year ?????????

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
DID ALL THE VOTERS SEE ALL THE PLAYERS ON THE LIST PLAY ??????????????????Did YOU see all the players on your top 5 play all year ?????????

No but here is something to think about. All or 90 percent of those from the Pioneer League have and he only got a 4th and 5th place vote from the entire list of voters. He didn't get any support from his own league who saw him play. That's not a good sign. A player who can't get votes from his own league who sees him surely has no shot at getting votes from those who only read about him.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
No but here is something to think about. All or 90 percent of those from the Pioneer League have and he only got a 4th and 5th place vote from the entire list of voters. He didn't get any support from his own league who saw him play. That's not a good sign. A player who can't get votes from his own league who sees him surely has no shot at getting votes from those who only read about him.

How many of the Voters THAT VOTE on the Payton list are from the PIONEER League ?? Be truthful now.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Dayton quarterback Steve Valentino was named the league’s Offensive Player of the Year, Drake defensive lineman Dain Taylor was the league’s Defensive Player of the Year and Dayton head coach Rick Chamberlin was named the league’s Coach of the Year. The league’s freshman awards went to Davidson quarterback Jonathan Carkhuff and Jacksonville linebacker Mike Klein, who were named the league’s Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year, respectively.

Valentino becomes just the second player in league history to be named its Offensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons, joining San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson who accomplished the feat in 2005-06. A three-time All-PFL first-team selection, he led Dayton to an 8-0 mark in PFL play – he was 15-1 in his two seasons as a starter in PFL contests – to earn a share of the league’s regular-season title and a 10-1 overall mark. Valentino finished the regular season ranked 14th among FCS players with 266.4 total offensive yards average per game. He was Dayton’s top rushing threat and ranked seven nationally among FCS quarterbacks with 64.7 rushing yards per game. Valentino also ranked fourth in both passing yardage (201.6 ypg) and pass efficiency rating (135.0).

And you say a few running backs that have a mediocre year and a few WR should be ranked higher on the Payton list ?? And you say Tino got no support from the Pioneer League ?? Who do you think votes for POY.
I will repeat my Question ,How many of the Voters THAT VOTE on the Payton list are from the PIONEER League ??

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Dayton quarterback Steve Valentino was named the league’s Offensive Player of the Year, Drake defensive lineman Dain Taylor was the league’s Defensive Player of the Year and Dayton head coach Rick Chamberlin was named the league’s Coach of the Year. The league’s freshman awards went to Davidson quarterback Jonathan Carkhuff and Jacksonville linebacker Mike Klein, who were named the league’s Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year, respectively.

Valentino becomes just the second player in league history to be named its Offensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons, joining San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson who accomplished the feat in 2005-06. A three-time All-PFL first-team selection, he led Dayton to an 8-0 mark in PFL play – he was 15-1 in his two seasons as a starter in PFL contests – to earn a share of the league’s regular-season title and a 10-1 overall mark. Valentino finished the regular season ranked 14th among FCS players with 266.4 total offensive yards average per game. He was Dayton’s top rushing threat and ranked seven nationally among FCS quarterbacks with 64.7 rushing yards per game. Valentino also ranked fourth in both passing yardage (201.6 ypg) and pass efficiency rating (135.0).

And you say a few running backs that have a mediocre year and a few WR should be ranked higher on the Payton list ?? And you say Tino got no support from the Pioneer League ?? Who do you think votes for POY.
I will repeat my Question ,How many of the Voters THAT VOTE on the Payton list are from the PIONEER League ??

Here is a list of Pioneer League voters for TSN:

Cody Bush, Jack Cronin, Drew Dickerson, Jeff Elliott, Mike Ferraro, Marc Gignac, Ted Gosen, Joel Lamp, Barry Milligan, Chuck Mraz, Joe Prisco, Ryan Wronkowicz

Every SID and the league SID just like any other league. For a league to think you are the best in their own league doesn't mean they think you are among the best in the nation.

There it is. 12 voters. The Southland, home of the Payton winner, has just 10 voters. Valentino only received a 4th and 5th place vote from 12 people who saw him play all year long. You can guess the Dayton SID gave him a 4th place vote, and he might not have but just a guess. Then one of 11 folks gave him a 5th place vote. They obviously think he is a great player in the Pioneer League but they don't see him as an elite player nationally like you do.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Here is a list of Pioneer League voters for TSN:

Cody Bush, Jack Cronin, Drew Dickerson, Jeff Elliott, Mike Ferraro, Marc Gignac, Ted Gosen, Joel Lamp, Barry Milligan, Chuck Mraz, Joe Prisco, Ryan Wronkowicz

Every SID and the league SID just like any other league. For a league to think you are the best in their own league doesn't mean they think you are among the best in the nation.

There it is. 12 voters. The Southland, home of the Payton winner, has just 10 voters. Valentino only received a 4th and 5th place vote from 12 people who saw him play all year long. You can guess the Dayton SID gave him a 4th place vote, and he might not have but just a guess. Then one of 11 folks gave him a 5th place vote. They obviously think he is a great player in the Pioneer League but they don't see him as an elite player nationally like you do.

I'm sure Valentino got a 1st place vote from about 10 PFL SIDs but Haley has it rigged so he didn't count any of them. That is going to be your reply right? I assure you the voting is not rigged. Haley tallied the votes as he got them. There is no shady business. It just happens you are alone here in thinking Valentino is among the best in the nation. He is good no question but nobody who gets paid to judge talent sees him as elite when compared to the rest of the country. He is one of many very good QBs but just shy of that elite level.

Wow,If I ever had any respect for your opinion,or your expertise,I sure lost it after this last post of yours.I'm sure others will see you as you are.
Man you just don't understand, I have NEVER said he was among the Best in the nation as a QB. I only said the Payton list was a Popularity contest and voters don't really put that much time in voting process.Hey,I could be wrong most likely am wrong but I Never said it was rigged. YOU ARE A MASTER OF TRYING TO PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH . That is why I deleted that other Post that you resurrected. this is the last I'll say about it.

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Wow,If I ever had any respect for your opinion,or your expertise,I sure lost it after this last post of yours.I'm sure others will see you as you are.
Man you just don't understand, I have NEVER said he was among the Best in the nation as a QB. I only said the Payton list was a Popularity contest and voters don't really put that much time in voting process.Hey,I could be wrong most likely am wrong but I Never said it was rigged. YOU ARE A MASTER OF TRYING TO PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH . That is why I deleted that other Post that you resurrected. this is the last I'll say about it.

Okay so if you don't think he is among the best players in the nation then why should he receive votes for the Payton?

And a popularity contest is the wrong word. Most voters cover other sports as well so yes maybe they should spend more time on voting but they can't. Thus they vote for the players with the best numbers. That is why your comment on Presley is off base because if he throws for 2,000 yards, 20 TDs, and 8 INTs next year but if Casey Therriault throws for 3,500 yards, 33 TDs, and 5 INTs he will finish higher than Presley because he had better numbers. So that would prove your statement that Presley wins it no matter what wrong.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Okay so if you don't think he is among the best players in the nation then why should he receive votes for the Payton?

And a popularity contest is the wrong word. Most voters cover other sports as well so yes maybe they should spend more time on voting but they can't. Thus they vote for the players with the best numbers. That is why your comment on Presley is off base because if he throws for 2,000 yards, 20 TDs, and 8 INTs next year but if Casey Therriault throws for 3,500 yards, 33 TDs, and 5 INTs he will finish higher than Presley because he had better numbers. So that would prove your statement that Presley wins it no matter what wrong.

( My quote was) " I have NEVER said he was among the Best in the nation as a QB."

Wake up Man. I said best Player AS A QB---,AS A QB. Read what I post not what you want to read.you're mixing apples with oranges.
That's why I asked you in another post .What is the PAYTON AWARD about. Outstanding Football player ? QB? RB? WR? all around football player. Payton Award is for The Outstanding OFFENSIVE PLAYER, granted it is most likely a QB as a rule.
But in Tino's case he was a WR,KR,PR, playing QB because of injuries the first game of 2009, Dayton lost 3 QB's Tino stepped in and took over the QB position and the rest is history. Why in this gods creation did you resurrect that old post? I think I know why,you like inserting the knife.LOL

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
( My quote was) " I have NEVER said he was among the Best in the nation as a QB."

Wake up Man. I said best Player AS A QB---,AS A QB. Read what I post not what you want to read.you're mixing apples with oranges.
That's why I asked you in another post .What is the PAYTON AWARD about. Outstanding Football player ? QB? RB? WR? all around football player. Payton Award is for The Outstanding OFFENSIVE PLAYER, granted it is most likely a QB as a rule.
But in Tino's case he was a WR,KR,PR, playing QB because of injuries the first game of 2009, Dayton lost 3 QB's Tino stepped in and took over the QB position and the rest is history. Why in this gods creation did you resurrect that old post? I think I know why,you like inserting the knife.LOL

Bottom line I can find a lot of players who can do just as much or more than he can and have. Several of whom haven't been given the chance because of injuries to their team like Tino but rest assured they can be just as dominant. Name me 5 playoff teams Tino lit up and I'll say maybe he deserves the hype you want to give him. I just don't think any of his numbers can be given credit to on a national scale because he didn't face much competition outside of Jacksonville. In all honesty the Pioneer League is not very deep right now. We have Dayton and JU and that is pretty much it at the moment.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Bottom line I can find a lot of players who can do just as much or more than he can and have. Several of whom haven't been given the chance because of injuries to their team like Tino but rest assured they can be just as dominant. Name me 5 playoff teams Tino lit up and I'll say maybe he deserves the hype you want to give him. I just don't think any of his numbers can be given credit to on a national scale because he didn't face much competition outside of Jacksonville. In all honesty the Pioneer League is not very deep right now. We have Dayton and JU and that is pretty much it at the moment.

How about Tino and Dayton beating Robert Morris his First game as a QB in 2009 with only 2 days practising as a QB.beat RM 21-14 at Robert Morris, His 2nd game Beat DUQUENSE 24-17 at home.Won the next 5 games then lost to Butler 31-28 His only loss in 2009. Was named PFL Offensive POY.
2010 beat Robert Morris again.losing a last second TD to Duquesne ,Then won the rest of the games in 2010 .Dayton was Co-Champs both 2009 and 2010 with Tino as a QB. Was again named PFL Offensive POY.Not too bad for a WR playing QB,Let me tell you my good man There isn't to many players that can do that. If you don't believe my figures check them at Dayton website.
You stick your nose up at the competition in the Pioneer league ? Dayton,JU,Drake,SanDiego,Butler. All can hold their own in most of the other FCS Leagues. Any one of them can win the NEC WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND. Marist,Campbell,new to the League is coming on strong more and more every year. Also keep in mind this is a Non-Scolly League.

smallcollegefbfan
January 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM
How about Tino and Dayton beating Robert Morris his First game as a QB in 2009 with only 2 days practising as a QB.beat RM 21-14 at Robert Morris, His 2nd game Beat DUQUENSE 24-17 at home.Won the next 5 games then lost to Butler 31-28 His only loss in 2009. Was named PFL Offensive POY.
2010 beat Robert Morris again.losing a last second TD to Duquesne ,Then won the rest of the games in 2010 .Dayton was Co-Champs both 2009 and 2010 with Tino as a QB. Was again named PFL Offensive POY.Not too bad for a WR playing QB,Let me tell you my good man There isn't to many players that can do that. If you don't believe my figures check them at Dayton website.
You stick your nose up at the competition in the Pioneer league ? Dayton,JU,Drake,SanDiego,Butler. All can hold their own in most of the other FCS Leagues. Any one of them can win the NEC WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND. Marist,Campbell,new to the League is coming on strong more and more every year. Also keep in mind this is a Non-Scolly League.

Okay that's one team. Come on I need four more! :)

See that's the difference. Tino plays 1 maybe 2 solid teams a year. These guys in the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, etc. play 5-7 either FCS playoff teams or FBS teams every year and their entire schedule is much tougher. That's what you don't seem to get. The strength of schedule Tino played is VERY WEAK compared to the others. It would boggle your mind at the numbers that Matt Szczur, Jonathan Grimes DeAndre Presley, Matt Barr, Jeremy Moses, Taiwan Jones, etc., etc. would put up in the Pioneer League.

I can go play with middle schoolers in my hometown and throw for 8 touchdown passes in a scrimmage but it doesn't mean a thing when I go an hour down the road and play QB against the team ranked #10 nationally in high school and I throw for 3 interceptions and one touchdown. That's what I'm saying Tino would do. He wouldn't be that bad but instead of say 3000 total yards he would have more like 1500. It would be like me comparing the Sun Belt OFF POY to the SEC OFF POY. Ther is no comparison. Cam Newton is five times better than the Sun Belt POY just like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, etc. POY is much better than the Pioneer League POY 99 percent of the time. The only reason I say 99 percent is because Josh Johnson was the one exception to that rule who I loved coming out and believe he is the only player in recent Pioneer League history who could have won POY honors in any FCS conference and he is proving me right on that by playing on Sundays.

udchuck
January 17th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Okay that's one team. Come on I need four more! :)

See that's the difference. Tino plays 1 maybe 2 solid teams a year. These guys in the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, etc. play 5-7 either FCS playoff teams or FBS teams every year and their entire schedule is much tougher. That's what you don't seem to get. The strength of schedule Tino played is VERY WEAK compared to the others. It would boggle your mind at the numbers that Matt Szczur, Jonathan Grimes DeAndre Presley, Matt Barr, Jeremy Moses, Taiwan Jones, etc., etc. would put up in the Pioneer League.

I can go play with middle schoolers in my hometown and throw for 8 touchdown passes in a scrimmage but it doesn't mean a thing when I go an hour down the road and play QB against the team ranked #10 nationally in high school and I throw for 3 interceptions and one touchdown. That's what I'm saying Tino would do. He wouldn't be that bad but instead of say 3000 total yards he would have more like 1500. It would be like me comparing the Sun Belt OFF POY to the SEC OFF POY. Ther is no comparison. Cam Newton is five times better than the Sun Belt POY just like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, etc. POY is much better than the Pioneer League POY 99 percent of the time. The only reason I say 99 percent is because Josh Johnson was the one exception to that rule who I loved coming out and believe he is the only player in recent Pioneer League history who could have won POY honors in any FCS conference and he is proving me right on that by playing on Sundays.

Answer One last Question. Are your EYES Brown???