PDA

View Full Version : J.C. Sherritt Wins Buck Buchanan Award

smallcollegefbfan
January 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
J.C. SHERRITT CAPTURES 2010 BUCK BUCHANAN AWARD
Frisco, TX (Sports Network) - A year after finishing runner-up in the Buck Buchanan Award voting, Eastern Washington's J.C. Sherritt reeled it in.

The voting was tight, but on Thursday night, Sherritt was named the 2010 winner of the defensive player of the year award in the Football Championship Subdivision. The Sports Network presents and Fathead.com sponsors the 16th annual Buchanan Award.

Sherritt, second last year to James Madison defensive end Arthur Moats (now a linebacker with the Buffalo Bills), captured 24 of the 130 first-place votes and 253 points. Wofford junior defensive end Ameet Pall and Western Illinois senior linebacker Kyle Glazier tied for second place with 234 points.

The 5-foot-10, 220-pound Sherritt finished the regular season ranked 10th in the FCS with 11.36 tackles per game. He had at least 10 tackles in nine straight games, totaled 10 tackles for loss, including 2.5 sacks, intercepted three passes, broke up four, forced two fumbles, recovered one and had two quarterback hurries. Behind its captain, Eastern Washington (12-2) was co-champion of the Big Sky Conference and advanced to the FCS playoffs for a second straight year. The Eagles will meet Delaware in the FCS Championship.

"It's been an awesome year," said Sherritt, who plays strong-side inside linebacker.

"If I get in the 40, I'm not the fastest guy. And I can't jump the highest. On a football field, I can usually react pretty well to the ball and get to the ball pretty quickly. I don't know if it's something you're born with. I know my coaches help me a lot with my reads. To have a great front four in front of you really helps."

The Buchanan Award was voted on by a national panel of sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries.

Joining Sherritt, Pall, Glazier, Evans and Holmes as Buchanan Award finalists were defensive tackles Kenrick Ellis of Hampton and Martin Parker of Richmond; nose tackle Brent Russell of Georgia Southern; defensive ends Jabari Fletcher of Appalachian State and Mario Kurn of San Diego; linebackers Eric McBride of Richmond, Bryce Smith of Samford, D.J. Smith of Appalachian State, Antoine Wilkinson of Missouri State and Jabara Williams of Stephen F. Austin; cornerbacks Korey Lindsey of Southern Illinois and Trumaine Johnson of Montana; and safeties Mark LeGree of Appalachian State, Eugene Clifford of Tennessee State and James Vercammen of Dayton. The ballot had two players who gained write-in votes, UT Martin linebacker Josh Bey and South Carolina State linebacker David Erby.

In addition to the Buck Buchanan Award, The Sports Network presents and Fathead.com sponsors the Walter Payton Award, bestowed on the FCS' outstanding player, and the Eddie Robinson Award, which honors the FCS' coach of the year.

2010 BUCK BUCHANAN AWARD VOTING
NAME (SCHOOL) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
J.C. Sherritt, Eastern Washington 24 17 11 10 12 253
Ameet Pall, Wofford 17 18 15 11 10 234
Kyle Glazier, Western Illinois 16 20 13 9 17 234
Matt Evans, New Hampshire 11 17 17 9 11 203
Tyler Holmes, Massachusetts 14 10 13 15 10 189
Mario Kurn, San Diego 15 11 10 5 15 174
Jabari Fletcher, Appalachian State 5 6 9 8 5 97
D.J. Smith, Appalachian State 6 3 8 10 3 89
Martin Parker, Richmond 2 8 8 7 5 85
Kenrick Ellis, Hampton 4 6 5 5 2 71
Eric McBride, Richmond 2 4 6 4 9 61
Brent Russell, Georgia Southern 4 2 4 6 5 57
Eugene Clifford, Tennessee State 2 4 2 4 7 47
Jabara Williams, Stephen F. Austin 2 1 3 6 0 35
Bryce Smith, Samford 2 1 3 4 2 33
James Vercammen, Dayton 0 2 1 5 6 27
Mark Legree, Appalachian State 1 0 0 8 4 25
Antoine Wilkinson, Missouri State 2 0 0 4 1 19
Trumaine Johnson, Montana 0 0 2 0 3 9
*Josh Bey, UT Martin 1 0 0 0 0 5
Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois 0 0 0 0 2 2
*David Erby, South Carolina State 0 0 0 0 1 1
*Write-in Votes.

Walkon79
January 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Way to Go, J.C.!!!

Mr. C
January 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I actually knew Sherritt had won yesterday. A little birdy spilled the beans at EWU practice on Wednesday afternoon.

AppMAN04
January 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Congrats J.C!

seantaylor
January 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
He's holding it for Brent Russell.

Green26
January 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM
He's a great player, anyway you look at it, and especially for his size. He's been very good for several years. No fluke. I'm glad he won the award. Well-deserved.

umassfan
January 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
This has to be the biggest crock of **** ever. The voters smoked some good stuff this year.

UNHFootballAlum
January 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Wow! Matt Evans doesn't make All-CAA 1st team, but he is 4th in Buchannan voting. What were the CAA voters smoking?

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
This has to be the biggest crock of **** ever. The voters smoked some good stuff this year.

Wow, you're not a close-minded poor-sport at all...

Mr. C
January 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, you're not a close-minded poor-sport at all...
That was the homer opinion coming out yet again. J.C. Sherritt was no surprise as the winner. He had two great years and was runner-up last year. Holmes had a fantastic year, but so did Brent Russell of Georgia Southern, Kendrick Ellis of Hampton and several other great candidates.

Maroon&White
January 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
That was the homer opinion coming out yet again. J.C. Sherritt was no surprise as the winner. He had two great years and was runner-up last year. Holmes had a fantastic year, but so did Brent Russell of Georgia Southern, Kendrick Ellis of Hampton and several other great candidates.

You just showed why umassfan called it a crock. Sherritt had two great years. Holmes had a fantastic year, much better so then Sherritt. Yet it was awarded to Sherritt for his career, not this year. It's not a career award, stop voting it as one.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
You just showed why umassfan called it a crock. Sherritt had two great years. Holmes had a fantastic year, much better so then Sherritt. Yet it was awarded to Sherritt for his career, not this year. It's not a career award, stop voting it as one.

Sherritt had very similar numbers to Holmes. Both had fantastic years, Sherritt is a senior and had two fantastic years in a row. Get over it.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?