PDA

View Full Version : ICON/GSU talking to Houston about football game

MACHIAVELLI
February 21st, 2006, 02:28 PM
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — The Bayou Classic appears to be headed back to New Orleans.

But that doesn’t mean Grambling State won’t be playing in Houston this year.

Coach Melvin Spears confirms that GSU is in scheduling talks with the University of Houston, a year after playing its annual rivalry game against Southern at Reliant Stadium in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Houston advanced to the Fort Worth Bowl in 2005, the first time since 1980-81 that the Cougars appeared in two bowl games during a three-year span. Both came under fourth-year coach Art Briles, the first former UH player to lead the Cougar football program. A loss to Kansas, however, meant Houston finished 6-6 last season.

“We want to use that game as an opportunity to gauge where we are at as a program,” Spears said. “Then, when you look at how we recruit Houston, it’s a win-win.”

Grambling officials said all along that they would return to New Orleans when the Superdome was playable.

“I think it’s very important that everybody know that this is a Louisiana game,” Dr. Angelia Weaver, Grambling’s 2005 Bayou Classic coordinator, said late last year. “We intend to be back in New Orleans as soon as it is physically possible.”

The NFL has announced an accelerated schedule for renovations that has the New Orleans Saints playing their first home game on Sept. 24 against Atlanta.

Spears said he hasn’t received definitive word on returning to the Superdome, but feels certain that’s where the game will be held.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/SPORTS/60221001/1006/SPORTS

3rd Coast Tiger
February 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Damn,

Just when I thought I beat TexasTerror in posting a SWAC related thread.

HPCAT
February 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM
Damn,

Just when I thought I beat TexasTerror in posting a SWAC related thread.

At least a SWAC guy posted it, that should be some consolation. :)

3rd Coast Tiger
February 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Some of us work... :)

UH is no stranger in talking to SWAC schools. They talked to PV A&M and TxSo before scheduling SHSU. I think they did not schedule games with atleast one of those two because of scholarship rules that would not count that game towards a bowl berth (don't you have to average a certain amount to count as a bowl-eligible I-AA win?).

I thought TxSo had that since they did play UTEP last year, but perhaps there was some other issue there. Grambling would outdraw Houston at their own place, whether it Robertson or Reliant.

Does Houston still have a hole on their schedule? Are they trying to pull out of one of those tough games on their schedule?

From the UH board, it's a hot topic...

http://mb16.scout.com/fcoogfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=25411.topic