PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: K.C. Keeler to UConn?

aceinthehole
January 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Edsall’s decision to leave has Connecticut scrambling for a coach days after the program’s pinnacle moment. Potential candidates to replace Edsall — Al Golden and Steve Addazio — just took jobs at Miami and Temple.

Expect the former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni, a Connecticut native, to try to work his way into the mix. Another possibility is Eric Mangini, who is expected to be fired by the Cleveland Browns, as are Delaware Coach K. C. Keeler and the Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/03uconn.html

Franks Tanks
January 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/03uconn.html

Interesting. Also Tom Bradley has long been rumored to be the next head coach at Penn State and has never interviewed for another job before this year. Now he is looking everywhere. A pretty good sign Joe will step down soon and someone on his staff will not be the successor.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Interesting. Also Tom Bradley has long been rumored to be the next head coach at Penn State and has never interviewed for another job before this year. Now he is looking everywhere. A pretty good sign Joe will step down soon and someone on his staff will not be the successor.

Also, in light of the fiasco at Pitt, I suspect Bradley could be going in that direction, as well.

Rob Iola
January 3rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
But where would he get his transfer QBs from?

BlueHenSinfonian
January 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
I would be very surprised to see Keeler jump ship for UConn. KC is already one of the highest paid coaches in the FCS, but maybe he is just letting his name slip out to use as leverage for a contract renegotiation if UD wins the title again this year.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Maryland from UConn seems like a lateral move to me. UConn is in an AQ conference with an easy schedule, why move?

danefan
January 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Maryland from UConn seems like a lateral move to me. UConn is in an AQ conference with an easy schedule, why move?

Edsall's job was to build up UConn to national prominence. He took them to a BCS bowl and maybe he felt his job was done at UConn? Maryland is probably paying more than UConn also.

State Line Liquors
January 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
As of USA Today's most recent report Friedgen was getting paid $2M, Edsall $1.5M. I wonder what kind of money UConn would be willing to offer a guy like Keeler. Keeler's most recent compensation package was listed at $310k not including deferred comp payments, health care, and some other things.

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM

After 60 years on the Penn State sidenlines (16 as asst., 44 as head coach), Joe's not stepping down.

Henwatcher
January 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Absolutely NO WAY Keeler ever coaches at UConn. NEVER, NEVER, and NEVER.

UncleSam
January 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I have to think that any BCS program would find KC's record at Delaware to be too inconsistent to merit a job offer at that level. KC has certainly had some great success, but he has also had some dismal failures during his tenure at UD. KC's record probably has too many peaks and valleys for him to get a BCS type offer at this time.

superman7515
January 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Keeler Not Looking To Leave UD (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110103/SPORTS07/101030328/1028/Keeler-not-looking-to-leave-UD)

NEWARK -- University of Delaware football coach K.C. Keeler said that he's not looking for another job, that "there's no dream job like going back to your alma mater," and that he and his family are heavily involved in the community.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Keeler Not Looking To Leave UD (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110103/SPORTS07/101030328/1028/Keeler-not-looking-to-leave-UD)

A lot of coaches say that and feel that way, but many want to "test their skills at the highest possible level" as well. We would've been able to pay Paul Johnson, but he wanted to test his offense in the FBS.

The BIG BCS schools are like the NY Yankees, they just go out and buy what the little guy discovers and develops. Then everyone talks about how great they are. Oh well, I guess it all rolls down hill. We took Hatcher from Valdosta St (his alma mater) and then passed him on down the line. I doubt we'll see too many more like Tubby Raymond, Mike Ayers, or Jerry Moore.

McNeese75
January 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
After 60 years on the Penn State sidenlines (16 as asst., 44 as head coach), Joe's not stepping down.

Why would he? He is just a figurehead wearing a polo shirt and getting paid for it. Life is good.

blukeys
January 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
I doubt we'll see too many more like Tubby Raymond, Mike Ayers, or Jerry Moore.

Sad but true.

jmufan999
January 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
they've seriously overestimated his coaching ability, if this is true.

go ahead and slam me, i do care. truly, i'm concerned.

blukeys
January 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM

Well it could be worse. They could be considering Matthews.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM

So in his first 8 years as a Div I coach he's brought his team to the title game 3 times, and has a nearly 2:1 win record playing in the most difficult conference in the FCS, and he's overrated? Yes, there have been a couple of down years, but each time he has bounced right back. I imagine recruiting for a FCS program is a bit different from Rowan, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he has learned from past mistakes and we won't see another losing season for a while.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
1 title in 12 years is better?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
I have no special knowledge, but I have a hard time believing that Keeler would give up his Delaware gig for UConn. Just that Keeler is such a hotshot in Delaware, and at UConn he'd be third banana. One poster called BCS football the Yankees: that is NOT the UConn gig. It's more like the Pirates or Royals.

TheValleyRaider
January 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I doubt we'll see too many more like Tubby Raymond, Mike Ayers, or Jerry Moore.

In fairness, it's not like there are a lot of those in the first place. Part of what makes them so noteworthy xtwocentsx

Wildcat80
January 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM

He stated its a dream job only 70 miles from where he grew up in York Pa. Think he just needed to get out of UConn after so many years. Was unable to recruit there. Won with overachieving kids.

Wildcat80
January 4th, 2011, 03:40 AM
If Keeler wants to try a move now is an excellent time......Pitt, UConn both open. Laycock missed his BC chance years ago and never got it back. If I'm him I try for the big time! Keeler has a better resume than our Coach Mc who would be a surprise candidate.

Chemhen
January 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
He stated its a dream job only 70 miles from where he grew up in York Pa.

That's ridiculous; oh its only an hour away and in a different state from where I grew up. I agree with you, he just wanted out. And not flying back with the team, telling his team via phone. Cause that 6 hours it would take to drive from Hartford to College Park was just too much time to waste on his players.

colorless raider
January 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
That's ridiculous; oh its only an hour away and in a different state from where I grew up. I agree with you, he just wanted out. And not flying back with the team, telling his team via phone. Cause that 6 hours it would take to drive from Hartford to College Park was just too much time to waste on his players.

You are right; no class whatsoever.

Catsfan2
January 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM
As with many other professions, following the rumors that he (Edsall) was going to move, he probably felt that he was in a position where he had to make a move.

Franks Tanks
January 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Joe will not be able to physically hold on much longer. His health has slipped quite a bit in the last year or two.

SpeedkingATL
January 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Keller may very well win his second FCS NC on Friday and if UConn wants to more than triple his compensation, one would think he would have to consider it. Head Coach in the Big East isn't a bad career move IMHO for any FCS coach.

UMass922
January 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Former UMass (and Brown) coach (and outgoing Miami OC) Mark Whipple has been listed as a "strong candidate" for the UConn job by the Hartford Courant. Whipple led UMass to the I-AA title in 1998 (though interestingly enough, he lost to UConn twice that season). He also had a successful run at D-II New Haven before that, so he has state ties.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Anyone else vividly remember the 1998 Delaware at UCONN game?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Former UMass (and Brown) coach (and outgoing Miami OC) Mark Whipple has been listed as a "strong candidate" for the UConn job by the Hartford Courant. Whipple led UMass to the I-AA title in 1998 (though interestingly enough, he lost to UConn twice that season). He also had a successful run at D-II New Haven before that, so he has state ties.

I'm beginning to think every single Division I head coach in the Northeast, past or present, is rumored for the position. I've even heard that Norries Wilson, Columbia's head coach, is in consideration. Hell, why not Holy Cross' Tom Gilmore?

UMass922
January 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the Courant mentioned Wilson this morning as well, among many others.

I get the sense, though, that the most popular candidate is going to be Mangini, even though he has no college coaching experience. He's a Hartford native and is very well-liked in the state.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Why did UMass play UConn twice during the regular season that year?

UMass922
January 4th, 2011, 05:14 PM
That was the year after BU dropped their program, so the two schools filled in the hole by simply scheduling an additional game against each other (that didn't count in the A-10 standings of course).

Saint3333
January 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Who here would turn down 3 to 4 times the pay? Or let me ask another way; who here has a wife that would let them turn down 3 to 4 times their current pay?

th0m
January 5th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Depends on how long you're getting it paid for of course.

LBPop
January 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM

According the Washington Post (and I always believe the Post), Edsall will be paid about $2 million per year. I believe that is many times what he was receiving from UConn.

Mattymc727
January 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Why wouldnt Sean Mcdonnell be rumored? He was rumored to be up for the Temple job and he has one of the better resumes in the northeast. Has he already stated he isnt going anywhere or does UConn not want him?

UconnHuskies15
January 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Alot of Connecticut fans would love to land a coach like Keeler, given his success at the FCS level. Edsall is reportedly going to be paid around 3 million a season, instead of taking his 1.5 million plus incentives from connecticut. Edsall received pay raises each season from the university, making more than Geno (who has won alot more than edsall had). Keeler receives around 300K a season at Delaware, whereas Connecticut could pay him 1-1.5 million per season, a huge pay raise. Connecticut also has some of the best facilities in the country (Burton/Shenkman Football Complex), 2 Big East Championships in the past four seasons, and a berth in a BCS bowl game. Connecticut is also in an AQ conference, where Keeler could have real success. Unlike Michigan, Keeler wouldnt be expected to win a national championship right away, and would have time to implement his offense with his players. I have a ton of respect for the FCS and some of the coaches/players that this level of college football produces, I would just like to see what type of opportunity Connecticut has to land a coach like Keeler...

BlueHenSinfonian
January 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM
According the Washington Post (and I always believe the Post), Edsall will be paid about $2 million per year. I believe that is many times what he was receiving from UConn.

Googling around a bit shows that he was making 1.5 million per year at UConn. Still, MD is a higher profile school than UConn is for football, cost of living and taxes are likely lower than in CT, and the ACC is an upgrade from the Big East IMO. The ACC also has an automatic tie-in with the Orange Bowl, while the Big East is forced to float around whatever bowl has an open position.

TheValleyRaider
January 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Googling around a bit shows that he was making 1.5 million per year at UConn. Still, MD is a higher profile school than UConn is for football, cost of living and taxes are likely lower than in CT, and the ACC is an upgrade from the Big East IMO. The ACC also has an automatic tie-in with the Orange Bowl, while the Big East is forced to float around whatever bowl has an open position.

Meh, still not really buying Maryland as that big a step up. Costs aren't exactly low in and around College Park, I would guess, and even if I'm leaving UConn for an ACC program, I'm not sure Maryland is the one I'd do it for

BCS bowl thing is a wash, really. If anything, I kind of like the idea of potentially going to any one of Fiesta/Sugar/Orange in any given year (outside of the National Title Game, of course). A little variety keeps things somewhat interesting

CTDog1
January 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Absolutely NO WAY Keeler ever coaches at UConn. NEVER, NEVER, and NEVER.

If someone were to tell me the day before the Fiesta bowl that Randy Edsall was going to be the next coach at Maryland, here is what I would have said.

" NO WAY Edsall ever coaches at Maryland, NEVER, NEVER, and NEVER. Keeler going to UCONN for 7 figures makes a lot more sense than Edsal becoming a Terp!

Fear the Bird
January 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
If someone were to tell me the day before the Fiesta bowl that Randy Edsall was going to be the next coach at Maryland, here is what I would have said.

" NO WAY Edsall ever coaches at Maryland, NEVER, NEVER, and NEVER. Keeler going to UCONN for 7 figures makes a lot more sense than Edsal becoming a Terp!

Really? That's what you use your first post to say? How does Edsall even remotely compare? Why would you not expect Edsall to make a jump from UConn? Keeler is a far different animal - he has everything he has ever wanted and had the chance to jump ship in 2007 but decided not to. Some people are perfectly fine with a VERY good lifestyle where they are treated like kings in a college town. Maybe he is the next Tubby Raymond.

Now would I be shocked if he left to see what he could do on the next level? No. But I would be surprised.

HenZoneNation
January 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Anyone else vividly remember the 1998 Delaware at UCONN game?

Wasn't that the game Nagy threw for 500+ yards?

UNHFootballAlum
January 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Meh, still not really buying Maryland as that big a step up. Costs aren't exactly low in and around College Park, I would guess, and even if I'm leaving UConn for an ACC program, I'm not sure Maryland is the one I'd do it for

BCS bowl thing is a wash, really. If anything, I kind of like the idea of potentially going to any one of Fiesta/Sugar/Orange in any given year (outside of the National Title Game, of course). A little variety keeps things somewhat interesting

better football facilities than UCONN, better Stadium and more than likely more money. At UCONN the hoops coach is one of the highest paid employees in the state.

superman7515
January 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM
better football facilities than UCONN, better Stadium and more than likely more money. At UCONN the hoops coach is one of the highest paid employees in the state.

Still a great rant... "Why don't you get some facts and come back and see me!"

GannonFan
January 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM

You sure about the better facilities? Maryland's stadium is nothing to write home about and UConn's is brand spanking new.

YoUDeeMan
January 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
You sure about the better facilities? Maryland's stadium is nothing to write home about and UConn's is brand spanking new.

Yes, but Maryland's stadium sells crabcakes. xnodxxthumbsupx

CTDog1
January 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Really? That's what you use your first post to say? How does Edsall even remotely compare? Why would you not expect Edsall to make a jump from UConn? Keeler is a far different animal - he has everything he has ever wanted and had the chance to jump ship in 2007 but decided not to. Some people are perfectly fine with a VERY good lifestyle where they are treated like kings in a college town. Maybe he is the next Tubby Raymond.

Now would I be shocked if he left to see what he could do on the next level? No. But I would be surprised.

Randy Edsall and the UCONN Huskies just played in a BSC bowl. Randy Esall had everything going for him as well.

As Randy Edsall enters his 12th season as the head coach at the University of Connecticut in 2010, he continues to see the positive effects of his time in Storrs. The program has blossomed from a major college football newcomer upon his arrival to a team that has now made four bowl appearances in the past six years. Only one other school besides UConn has moved up from Division I-AA to Division I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) and earned an AP ranking faster. Only five times has a team ascended from Division I-AA to Division I-A and produced a .500 or better season in each of its first three years at the highest level of collegiate football and UConn is one of those programs.

The Huskies continue to climb in a BCS Conference and much of the credit for this remarkable ascension is due to Edsall, who is tied as the winningest coach in school history and stands at an impressive 57-41 (.582) in the school's first seven Division I-A seasons.

UConn's trip to the 2010 Papajohns.com Bowl marked the fourth the Huskies have made under Edsall in the past six years. Edsall guided the Huskies to a 38-20 win over Buffalo in the 2009 International Bowl and led the team to a victory in the 2004 Motor City Bowl and an appearance in the 2007 Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Edsall's Huskies won their final three regular season games in 2009 - including a historic double-overtime win over Notre Dame on Nov. 21. UConn posted a 7-5 regular season record facing the 25th-toughest regular season schedule in the country. In 2007, the Bryant and Munger Coach of the Year Award finalist helped guide UConn to a share of its first-ever BIG EAST Championship in a season where the Huskies were picked to finish seventh in the league.

Edsall was named the 2007 Bowl Championship Division Head Coach of the Year in New England by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston.

Edsall has also become a prominent voice in the college football community, as he is a member of the American Football Coaches Association Board of Trustees and the NCAA Football Rules Committee.

Following the 2007 season, he signed a five-year contract with the school that runs through the 2012 season.

UConn joined the BIG EAST Conference in 2004, finishing just one win shy of tying for the conference championship. The Huskies led the conference in total defense each of their first two years in the league and again in 2008. During their debut season in 2004, led the BIG EAST in both total offense and total defense. During this span, UConn has finished in the national top 20 for total offense (2003, 2004) and total defense (2002, 2005, 2008). The Huskies finished an impressive sixth in the country in total defense in 2008.

Under Edsall's guidance, the Huskies have defeated members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, BIG EAST, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA and Southeastern Conference during their Football Bowl Subdivision tenure.

Edsall guided the 2002 team to a 6-6 record in its first year with a full Division I-A compliment of 85 scholarships. UConn ended the 2002 season impressively with four-straight wins to reach the .500 mark, including season-ending road wins at Navy and at bowl-bound Iowa State of the Big 12 Conference.

"This was the day that the man on the street connected with UConn football," wrote the late Randy Smith of the Manchester (Conn.) Journal-Inquirer. "It's his team, and by gawd, he's going to cheer for it." UConn's .500 season was its best record since the squad won 10 games in 1998. The Huskies' six wins were more than the Huskies posted in 2000 (three) and 2001 (two) combined. The Huskies were the most improved Division I-A team in the country in 2002, according to preseason and postseason ratings by College Football News.

The excitement for Edsall and his team continued to swell in 2003 as the Huskies moved into their new home, Rentschler Field, and enjoyed the nation's largest attendance increase with a gain of 21,252 fans per game.

Finishing with a 9-3 record, many national media outlets, including Bristol-based ESPN, proclaimed that UConn should have received a bowl berth, a feat highly-uncommon for an independent team.

With their membership in the BIG EAST for the 2004 season, another strong campaign by the Huskies resulted in a bowl berth. UConn went 8-4 against a challenging slate that fall as the program gained its highest ever level of exposure. The Huskies capped their historic season with a resounding 39-10 win over Mid-American Champion Toledo in the Motor City Bowl.

The 2007 season witnessed a new level of excitement in Storrs as the Huskies earned their first ever national rankings, peaking at No. 13 in the BCS standings on Nov. 5. UConn became just the second BIG EAST team to ever go 7-0 at home and defeated three teams there which were ranked in the Top 10 at some point during the season. The BIG EAST Champion Huskies finished that season at 9-4 with a berth in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, earning Edsall New England Division I Coach of the Year accolades.

Edsall was named the 27th head football coach at the University of Connecticut on December 21, 1998.

Edsall brought 19 years of previous coaching experience to the Husky program, including 15 seasons on the collegiate level and three in the NFL. Edsall joined the Huskies after completing the 1998 season as the defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech, where he helped the 14th-ranked Yellow Jackets complete a 9-2 campaign.

Prior to joining the staff at Georgia Tech, Edsall spent three seasons as the secondary coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. In his three seasons on Tom Coughlin's staff, Edsall was a part of one of the most successful expansion franchises in the history of the NFL. The Jaguars reached the playoffs in 1996 and 1997, including a berth in the AFC Championship Game in 1996.

Edsall began his coaching career in 1980 at his alma mater, Syracuse University. A former quarterback for the Orangemen, Edsall started as a graduate assistant from 1980-1982. In 1983, coach Dick MacPherson named Edsall running backs coach. He coached the running backs for three seasons at Syracuse (1983-84 and 1986) and coached the tight ends in 1985 before making the switch to the defensive side of the ball. He coached the Syracuse defensive backs from 1987-1990 and during that period the Orangemen were ranked amongst the National Division I-A leaders in pass defense.

Edsall was a three-year letterwinner in football, basketball and baseball at Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pa. He was an all-state selection in all three sports in his senior season and has been inducted into the York Area Sports Hall of Fame. He then went on to Syracuse, where he was a member of the football team and earned one varsity letter as a quarterback for the Orangemen. He was a member of the Syracuse squad that captured the 1979 Independence Bowl title under head coach Frank Maloney.
Coaching RecordGlossary ▪ CSV ▪ PRE
Year School G W L T W-L% AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl
2000 Connecticut 11 3 8 0 .273
2001 Connecticut 11 2 9 0 .182
2002 Connecticut 12 6 6 0 .500
2003 Connecticut 12 9 3 0 .750
2004 Connecticut 12 8 4 0 .667 Motor City Bowl-W
2005 Connecticut 11 5 6 0 .455
2006 Connecticut 12 4 8 0 .333
2007 Connecticut 13 9 4 0 .692 16 Meineke Car Care Bowl-L
2008 Connecticut 13 8 5 0 .615 24 International Bowl-W
2009 Connecticut 13 8 5 0 .615 PapaJohns.com Bowl-W
2010 Connecticut 13 8 5 0 .615 25 Fiesta Bowl-L
Connecticut 133 70 63 0 .526

UNHFootballAlum
January 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Still a great rant... "Why don't you get some facts and come back and see me!"

How about these facts:

Maryland' Byrd Stadium
$50.8 million upgrade completed in 2009. it now seats 54,000. It also includes 64 luxury suites
$1.2 million state of the art scoreboard

UCONN Stadium
Opened in Aug 2003
Seats 40K and has 38 luxury boxes

I am sure that MD's locker rooms are at least as good as UCONN's if not better. I think that the Maryland facilities are better and they seem to have made a committment to football that they never have before.

UCONN's hoop coach is highest paid State employee and Randy Edsall was 3rd. He was never going to make more than Jim calhouon and thus had a ceiling in what he could get paid at UCONNhttp://http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/05/calhoun-highest-paid-state-emp.html

CTDog1
January 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
How about these facts:

Maryland' Byrd Stadium
$50.8 million upgrade completed in 2009. it now seats 54,000. It also includes 64 luxury suites
$1.2 million state of the art scoreboard

UCONN Stadium
Opened in Aug 2003
Seats 40K and has 38 luxury boxes

I am sure that MD's locker rooms are at least as good as UCONN's if not better. I think that the Maryland facilities are better and they seem to have made a committment to football that they never have before.

UCONN's hoop coach is highest paid State employee and Randy Edsall was 3rd. He was never going to make more than Jim calhouon and thus had a ceiling in what he could get paid at UCONNhttp://http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/05/calhoun-highest-paid-state-emp.html

You have obviously never been to Rentsler field or the Burton Family Fieldhouse.
Maryland was no more than a horizontal move plus other than another 500K. I say you have to make hay when the sun shines. Looks like Maryland will bring back some players. Edsall is no dummy. If he takes Maryland to the next level then he will be a hotter commodity and on to the next level. Stategic career move. Isn't that what we want to teach the kids when they go to college for their career? How many execs stay at the same job for 40 years anymore... I can give you $25,000,000 reasons why Jim Harbaugh left Stanford for the 49ers. BCS football is business-BIG business!

Wildcat80
January 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Edsall specifically mentioned being 70 miles from "his home" in York Pa.....have to assume that was a factor.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Edsall specifically mentioned being 70 miles from "his home" in York Pa.....have to assume that was a factor.

If Edsall wants to return to Syracuse he has to jump from outside the Big East, but at a BCS program--Maryland was available.

TheValleyRaider
January 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
If Edsall wants to return to Syracuse he has to jump from outside the Big East, but at a BCS program--Maryland was available.

If Edsall wants to return to Syracuse, he may need to get some pictures of Marrone as well xlolx

UNHFootballAlum
January 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
You have obviously never been to Rentsler field or the Burton Family Fieldhouse.
Maryland was no more than a horizontal move plus other than another 500K. I say you have to make hay when the sun shines. Looks like Maryland will bring back some players. Edsall is no dummy. If he takes Maryland to the next level then he will be a hotter commodity and on to the next level. Stategic career move. Isn't that what we want to teach the kids when they go to college for their career? How many execs stay at the same job for 40 years anymore... I can give you $25,000,000 reasons why Jim Harbaugh left Stanford for the 49ers. BCS football is business-BIG business!

Dude I grew up on Riggs Rd in Adelphi and played on the at the bottom of University Blvd, so I know about Byrd Stadium, but if you are willing to spend $50 million to upgrade, i think that means that you are making a committment to football.

zymergy
January 10th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Keeler not interested in UConn...

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110110/SPORTS07/101100316/1028/Keeler-not-interested-in-UConn

Ivytalk
January 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I think KC's market value/appeal with FBS schools dropped precipitously after Friday night's loss. Just my xtwocentsx.

henfan
January 10th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I think KC's market value/appeal with FBS schools dropped precipitously after Friday night's loss. Just my xtwocentsx.

I disagree completely, though I'm not certain how much appeal Keeler has outside of UConn. He clearly has little interest in just any FBS job. It would take an offer from a major program to lure him away and, frankly, UConn is not a major program.

Anovafan
January 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
And his $1M annuity hits next year if he stays at UD. After that, I say he leaves.

Wildcat80
January 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I disagree completely, though I'm not certain how much appeal Keeler has outside of UConn. He clearly has little interest in just any FBS job. It would take an offer from a major program to lure him away and, frankly, UConn is not a major program.

I doubt any other program would offer an FCS coach...UConn & Pitt would be the next step up. My guess is he was NOT the #1 choice so he issued the press release.

superman7515
January 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
According to everything coming out of UConn, he was their #1 choice.

henfan
January 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I doubt any other program would offer an FCS coach...

Tressell, Paul Johnson, Bobby Johnson, et al might disagree. It would take a special situation for them to offer but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

eaglesrthe1
January 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Tressell alone should debunk that. He went from FCS to a top ten FBS job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Talk is heating up that Addazio might screw over Temple and accept the Uconn job. Things might get very ugly.

henfan
January 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Talk is heating up that Addazio might screw over Temple and accept the Uconn job. Things might get very ugly.

Interesting.

How long before the 'Keeler to Temple' rumors start?xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Interesting.

Addazio hasn't assembled a staff yet and he's from CT. I believe there's a real chance he goes.

McDonnell from UNH would be a great choice.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Tressell, Paul Johnson, Bobby Johnson, et al might disagree. It would take a special situation for them to offer but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Don't forget Chip Kelly at Oregon, too. He was hired as an assistant from New Hampshire and became the assistant at Oregon with the idea, I believe, that he would be head coach someday.

There's also Mike London, who got a BCS job from Richmond. I'm sure there are other examples.

GannonFan
January 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Interesting.

Well, I know you're just being silly, but at least we know that UD is a better job than Temple. And anyway, KC is from the era when Temple was "the" rivalry for UD and it dwarfed anything the UD/nova rivalry ever was or is. I'm pretty sure he'd never take that job just on the principle that he probably hates Temple.

Wildcat80
January 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM

now I'd LOVE to see that!!

Catproud61
January 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Why wouldnt Sean Mcdonnell be rumored? He was rumored to be up for the Temple job and he has one of the better resumes in the northeast. Has he already stated he isnt going anywhere or does UConn not want him?
UCONN doesn't deserve him! Besides he's busy recruiting !

aceinthehole
January 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Not sure about that. Word is former UMass HC Whipple is the leading candidate right now and Keeler is out of consideration.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2011/01/hearing-that-mark-whipple-now.html

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-keeler-declines-01120110109,0,5473628.story

superman7515
January 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Of course he's out of consideration, he said no. Haha

bluehenbillk
January 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wow! Little doubt this morning the job was KC's if he wanted it. I got slaughtered with e-mails last night from 'Cuse grads laughing out loud over UConn hiring Pasqualoni (sp). Why? Just why?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
To me, a stunning turn of events. Guess my initial thoughts on the matter were right - UConn isn't as good a job as Delaware.

What a curious hire, Pasqualoni. I have to believe that a huge factor in this is that UConn wanted an older coach in the sunset of his career so they didn't have to pay him that much. That does not bode well for the athletic department situation at UConn - Villanova, take note.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
To me, a stunning turn of events. Guess my initial thoughts on the matter were right - UConn isn't as good a job as Delaware.

What a curious hire, Pasqualoni. I have to believe that a huge factor in this is that UConn wanted an older coach in the sunset of his career so they didn't have to pay him that much. That does not bode well for the athletic department situation at UConn - Villanova, take note.

Looks like Pasquiloni was at W CT State before 'Cuse, maybe someone in the UConn athletics dept. used to work with him and threw him a bone? I never followed Syracuse football, but it looks like they had an OK record with him at the helm.

CFBfan
January 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM

here is feedback from Crouthamel:

Paul is a football coach, and he’s a darned good football coach,” Crouthamel proclaimed of Pasqualoni, who will be 62 by the time the Huskies tee it up next fall. “He’s gotten more experience under his belt at the pro level and I’m sure he’s got some wrinkles that some of the folks around the Big East are going to see. But age has nothing to do with it.
“If there is any question about his knowledge of the game and his ability to teach the game, I think the success he had in the NFL (as an assistant with Dallas and Miami) proves how capable he is. Paul’s last three years at Syracuse were not good, but if you look at the record prior to that you’d have been proud to say he was your head coach.”

He is now, weird as it sounds, UConn’s . . . and the Huskies and their faithful can expect this much:

(1) A Connecticut native who ran the football show at Cheshire High School and then coached the Western Connecticut Colonials for five years, Paul knows the territory and will attempt to fiercely recruit it.

(2) A stickler for discipline and academic achievement, Paul will do more than merely nudge the Huskies toward the classroom. And,

(3) A devotee of George DeLeone, another Connecticut guy who lost his job in Syracuse, Paul will likely name his long-time sidekick to the Husky staff (“I would,” said Crouthamel, “put money on that.”).

Those folks also need to know this about Pasqualoni: He’s one of those blindered 18-hours-a-day laborers who once called the family members of his assistants “distractions” and is so stubborn a man that after beginning what proved to be his final Orange campaign by losing to Purdue 51-0, he declared afterwards that, given the chance, he would not have changed a thing in terms of strategy and preparation.

Above all else, though, Paul bodes to have staying power, as those 14 years on the Orange bridge would suggest. And, yes, he’s back -- in the Big East, anyway -- for more. Soon enough, then, UConn’s game against SU will be here.

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2011, 09:55 AM

I think it's a question of experience more than money. If Pasqualoni can give them five good years and get the program built (and it's still a program trying to get its place in the I-A firmamemt) then it's a good move. Remember, UConn will see Calhoun's retirement at some point and Geno probably has a few standing offers whenever he wants. Building a stronger football program now before basketball changes shake up the place makes good sense.

Villanova's got a different situation--Talley has put in 25+ years into that program, but does the school want to build a I-A team around him?

bluehenbillk
January 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Looks like Pasquiloni was at W CT State before 'Cuse, maybe someone in the UConn athletics dept. used to work with him and threw him a bone? I never followed Syracuse football, but it looks like they had an OK record with him at the helm.

He ran the SU football program into the ground.

CFBfan
January 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM

I'd say Robinson who got tossed out of Michigan with Rich Rod was the one who ran it into the ground....

GannonFan
January 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'd say Robinson who got tossed out of Michigan with Rich Rod was the one who ran it into the ground....

Pasq already had 'Cuse pointed squarely to the ground and was in a deep dive for the ground when he left. Robinson was just the guy who got to be at the controls when it finally crashed.

If UConn made this hire 20 years ago it would've been good. To make this hire now, however, is just shocking. I'd be livid if I was a UConn fan.

Franks Tanks
January 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM

No he didn't. He had some very good teams at Syracuse, and Robinson destroyed the whole thing.

CFBfan
January 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM
No he didn't. He had some very good teams at Syracuse, and Robinson destroyed the whole thing.

That's my take too Frank. I know a few SU Alum who agree