PDA

View Full Version : Penn State's Rob Bolden to transfer....

VUCats02
January 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5982537

Odds he goes to an FCS school?

Yet another Penn St. QB transfer - Please don't go to Delaware, Thanks.

AppAlum2003
January 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Hens.

Chemhen
January 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
We have a pair of good QBs waiting in the wings.

(sorry)

TSUalum05
January 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
per the article -

The younger Bolden wants to move to an FBS program.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Unreal. The door is wide open for him to reclaim his position after McGloin's horrible performance and he QUITS. Yes, there is another freshman, Paul Jones waiting to compete, too, but wait, we can't have that in this day and age can we? People are to be annointed and handed jobs rather than earning them. Someone with that mindset you don't need on your team. He's looking out for #1 and no one else.

Franks Tanks
January 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Unreal. The door is wide open for him to reclaim his position after McGloin's horrible performance and he QUITS. Yes, there is another freshman, Paul Jones waiting to compete, too, but wait, we can't have that in this day and age can we? People are to be annointed and handed jobs rather than earning them. Someone with that mindset you don't need on your team. He's looking out for #1 and no one else.

Bolden is a loser plain and simple. Joe game him a chance to be the first ever freshman starter at Penn State and he blew it. He was horrible in games this year and got beat out by a walk-on whose offers coming out of High School were Lafayette and Lehigh. Word out of State College is that Paul Jones has been plaing much better than Bolden in practice and has clearly seperated himself. He didn't play in the bowl game so he could be redshirted.

Jones was a 5 star recruit from suburban Pittsburgh, and Bolden was a bit of an oh by the way guy from Michigan. Many people were shocked that Bolden won the job to begin with. Jones is starting to come into his own and will be a very good QB at Penn State. Bolden will transfer somewhere else and continue to be buried on someone else's depth chart.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Bolden is a loser plain and simple. Joe game him a chance to be the first ever freshman starter at Penn State and he blew it. He was horrible in games this year and got beat out by a walk-on whose offers coming out of High School were Lafayette and Lehigh.

Scholarships! Now! :D

Franks Tanks
January 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Scholarships! Now! :D

In the Outback Bowl Mike Tirico mentioned that McGloin was offered by Patriot League schools Lafayette and Lehigh, but decided to walk on at Penn State. I havent heard this before, but I assume he got the info from McGloin himself.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
In the Outback Bowl Mike Tirico mentioned that McGloin was offered by Patriot League schools Lafayette and Lehigh, but decided to walk on at Penn State. I havent heard this before, but I assume he got the info from McGloin himself.

I know it's true that Lehigh offered him. See my other thread on "other sports" wherein I noted after the game that LU and LC were 'spared'.(;-)

superman7515
January 3rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Bolden is a loser plain and simple. Joe game him a chance to be the first ever freshman starter at Penn State and he blew it. He was horrible in games this year and got beat out by a walk-on whose offers coming out of High School were Lafayette and Lehigh. Word out of State College is that Paul Jones has been plaing much better than Bolden in practice and has clearly seperated himself. He didn't play in the bowl game so he could be redshirted.

Jones was a 5 star recruit from suburban Pittsburgh, and Bolden was a bit of an oh by the way guy from Michigan. Many people were shocked that Bolden won the job to begin with. Jones is starting to come into his own and will be a very good QB at Penn State. Bolden will transfer somewhere else and continue to be buried on someone else's depth chart.

He didn't get beat by McGloin. He went out with a concussion and didn't play again because McGloin got the nod and JoePa himself said he was sorry he didn't put Bolden back in and that it was a mistake. Everyone on the PSU staff, including JoePa, has said that Bolden is the better QB. For whatever reason, it just didn't happen. Reminds me of a story that JoePa and Matt Millen have told a few times. When Millen got drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft, he was really excited and told JoePa he was going to play LB instead of DT where he had been in college at PSU. JoePa turned and said he'd never make it, he couldn't play LB. Millen turned and told JoePa you can't coach and that never stopped you.

Franks Tanks
January 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
He didn't get beat by McGloin. He went out with a concussion and didn't play again because McGloin got the nod and JoePa himself said he was sorry he didn't put Bolden back in and that it was a mistake. Everyone on the PSU staff, including JoePa, has said that Bolden is the better QB. For whatever reason, it just didn't happen. Reminds me of a story that JoePa and Matt Millen have told a few times. When Millen got drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft, he was really excited and told JoePa he was going to play LB instead of DT where he had been in college at PSU. JoePa turned and said he'd never make it, he couldn't play LB. Millen turned and told JoePa you can't coach and that never stopped you.

Bolden certainly has more physical skills than McGloin, but he was absolutely dreadful all season. An injurt may have given McGloin his chance, but he played much batter than Bolden. It doesn't really matter as Paul Jones will be the starter next year.

blukeys
January 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM

I am willing to wait on the assessment of this young man. When Joe Flacco transferred to Delaware a lot of the Pitt folks called him a loser and stated that he left because he couldn't win the starting job. The fact was Wannstadt told Flacco he would not consider a competition for the starting job and that was why Flacco left.

The article states that Bolden had other reasons why he was unhappy at PSU. I wouldn't assume anything yet. I know that more information comes out later.

Wildcat80
January 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
We have a pair of good QBs waiting in the wings.

(sorry)

Did that ever stop UDel before????

GannonFan
January 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Did that ever stop UDel before????

Yeah, actually, we just haven't had good backups in the years KC has been here so we needed the transfers. Of course, it would've been hard to turn down guys like Flacco and Devlin - you don't see QB's like that very often and you'd be silly to say no to QB's like that. First time since 2002 that that's not the case with UD though - could be a really good 3 way competition for the starting job, including the guy who won on the road this year at JMU. It's been awhile since we've had real depth at the QB position - luckily it hasn't been an issue (outside of the 2008 Schoenhoft year) as we've had great QB's and they haven't gotten hurt.

WestCoastAggie
January 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Rumor has it a school in the Tidewater Area is gunnin' for this kid...

Franks Tanks
January 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Newsome from Penn State is probably the kid who may go to ODU. Newsome is a very athletic dual threat QB who will be a junior, and he is from VA. He has struggled badly and wont see the field at Penn State as a QB. He would be a good fit for ODU

superman7515
January 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Paterno denies QB Bolden's release (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11004/1115504-100.stm)

"I don't know the reason why, they just said they wouldn't release him," Williams said from her home in suburban Detroit.

"I don't agree with it and Rob doesn't agree with it," Bolden's father said.

Asked what their next move would be, he said: "We're going to try and sort that out now."

ngineer
January 4th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Cue, Engelbert Humperdinck...or was it Tom Jones? "Please release me, let me go..."

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Paterno denies QB Bolden's release (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11004/1115504-100.stm)
Both parties are acting pretty childish at this point. Bolden is acting like a punk for wanting out because he has to compete for a starting job. If I'm Joe Pa and I can recruit the way Penn State does I wouldn't even want him on my team. It's a cliche but I'll take a 2 star talent with a 4 star heart and work ethic rather than vice versa. To deny his request is petty and detrimental to your team. Give his scholly to a kid who is willing to work for it.

It's not exactly a direct comparison but there was a DE transfer from Wisconsin who came to NDSU last year who was the #7 ranked DE in the country out of high school. He transferred because there was too much competition for him at UW so he didn't think he'd see the field. He was at NDSU working out for about 2 weeks I think before transferring to D3 Wisconsin-Oshkosh. He finished the season with less than 10 tackes, no sacks, and very little PT judging by those numbers.

The bottom line is it if a player doesn't have the work ethic to compete at a Big 10 level, he won't have the work ethic to compete at a D3 level no matter how much talent he has and if I'm a coach I'll give him a PBJ sandwich and a bus ticket out of town just like Bear Bryant did to the Junction Boys washouts.

ngineer
January 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I agree with Bolden's Mom. I think he was making an emotional, rash decision. Paterno denying the release, at this time, may be a means to let the kid think it out more fully. If after a period of time and considering all options, including deciding to fight for the PSU job, then I wouldn't be surprised if his release is given.

henfan
January 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I thought JoePa & the PSU program were above these type of shenanigans. Apparently not. This is a real desperation scumbag move on their part and is not going to lead to a good end for PSU or the kid.xnonono2x

If I was Bolden's dad, I'd tell Joe Pa to go f himself and have my kid apply for acceptance into another school at the FCS level. He'll be eligible to play after sitting out a year.

It's no wonder so many of us are disillusioned by 'big time' college football.

Dane96
January 5th, 2011, 12:10 PM
In this instance you are very wrong Henfan...and 'Ngineer is very right. I have followed the Bolden kid for a while now...and frankly, his father is a meddlesome guy. He taught the kid how to play the game and was all up in his business with his college choices.

This reeks of a dad who can't step back...and a mom who is trying to...and Joe Pa trying to give the kid an opportunity to have a real heart to heart with himself (meaning giving Bolden time to step back). Happens far to often in college (meddlesome parents/advisors) and Joe Pa has earned the right to help the kid take some time to make a legitimate decision. Joe Pa is not some arrogant me guy...and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that he believes this (for the short run) is in the best interests of the kid.

If the kid is out today...then he is out...but if he takes time and reviews the choice he wants to make...and then still wants to go, Joe Pa will most likely let him out of the right. I would be shocked if otherwise.

Franks Tanks
January 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
In this instance you are very wrong Henfan...and 'Ngineer is very right. I have followed the Bolden kid for a while now...and frankly, his father is a meddlesome guy. He taught the kid how to play the game and was all up in his business with his college choices.

This reeks of a dad who can't step back...and a mom who is trying to...and Joe Pa trying to give the kid an opportunity to have a real heart to heart with himself (meaning giving Bolden time to step back). Happens far to often in college (meddlesome parents/advisors) and Joe Pa has earned the right to help the kid take some time to make a legitimate decision. Joe Pa is not some arrogant me guy...and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that he believes this (for the short run) is in the best interests of the kid.

If the kid is out today...then he is out...but if he takes time and reviews the choice he wants to make...and then still wants to go, Joe Pa will most likely let him out of the right. I would be shocked if otherwise.

Since scholarships renew each year, and I would think the school would need to extend the offer for another year on scholly and the player would have to accept. At the end of the year can Bolden simply refuse to have his scholarship renewed and then transfer. I believe the release removes the kid from his one year schoalrship. Is that correct?

henfan
January 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I have followed the Bolden kid for a while now...and frankly, his father is a meddlesome guy. He taught the kid how to play the game and was all up in his business with his college choices.

This reeks of a dad who can't step back...and a mom who is trying to...and Joe Pa trying to give the kid an opportunity to have a real heart to heart with himself...

I don't know Mr. Bolden or the kid personally and don't claim to know the details of their relationship. However, I would suggest there's a strong possibility that Mr. Bolden has Rob's best interests more in mind than a paid employee of Pennsylvania State University. Hopefully, the PTB at Penn State aren't arrogant enough to think they know what's better for the kid than his own father.

I would also suggest that the said coach & this university may have felt pressure to make this decision in light of a subpar 2010 season, especially in the context of how Pat Devlin has performed two years hence. (Sorry, but you'll have a difficult time convincing me that PSU is acting in the best interest of any given player at this late date. Too much has happened up there in recent years to make me think that program has the same high standards that it once held dear. Still more reputable than most but, hey, that's not saying much!)

I hope that PSU comes to their senses and releases the kid. If not, Rob should seek asylum where he thinks he'll get a shot to play in 2012 and still get a good education. Of course, the Boldens would have to pay for the education in 2011/2012, unless the ever-concerned Count Paternula wants to pitch in and pay for it.xsmiley_wix

seantaylor
January 5th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Bolden is a scrub anyway. Watched a lot of Penn State football, and the kid should never have been starting in the first place. He does nothing well.

henfan
January 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Bolden is a scrub anyway. Watched a lot of Penn State football, and the kid should never have been starting in the first place. He does nothing well.

Yeah, he's horrible. All the more reason for PSU to release him, unless PSU is just trying to prove a point at the kid's expense.

Franks Tanks
January 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, he's horrible. All the more reason for PSU to release him, unless PSU is just trying to prove a point at the kid's expense.

He may have got better later on, but right now and into the near future he was a big time liability. McGloin is nothing special, but Penn State was unable to do anything on offense with Bolden.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
He may have got better later on, but right now and into the near future he was a big time liability. McGloin is nothing special, but Penn State was unable to do anything on offense with Bolden.

I'm familiar with McGloin from his time at West Scranton. He isn't an FBS caliber QB, simple as that. I'm not sure he would make a good FCS QB. I find it interesting Lehigh did offer him. A team can always use depth i suppose.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm familiar with McGloin from his time at West Scranton. He isn't an FBS caliber QB, simple as that. I'm not sure he would make a good FCS QB. I find it interesting Lehigh did offer him. A team can always use depth i suppose.

You mean, McPick Six? xlolx

Franks Tanks
January 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM

He did have a few good games last year. I agree that he is in over his head, but he did look much better than Bolden. What does that say about Bolden?

Fordham
January 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I disagree and follow PSU football nearly as much as Fordham. Boldin was great for a true frosh but really got thrown to the wolves against teams like Alabama before getting hurt. If you watch that 'Bama game you'll see that he played well but got crushes by a porous oline. He has a huge ceiling IMO. McGloin ... not so much.

Franks Tanks
January 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I disagree and follow PSU football nearly as much as Fordham. Boldin was great for a true frosh but really got thrown to the wolves against teams like Alabama before getting hurt. If you watch that 'Bama game you'll see that he played well but got crushes by a porous oline. He has a huge ceiling IMO. McGloin ... not so much.

Nobody think McGloin is the answer. Paul Jones however has apparently emerged and the staff thinks he is better than Bolden at this point.

Fordham
January 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Nobody think McGloin is the answer. Paul Jones however has apparently emerged and the staff thinks he is better than Bolden at this point.

I agree that Jones looks incredibly promising. That said, there's no where in Hades that you can point to that the staff has tipped their hand as to who they think is better other than the face that Jones entered PSU as an early enrollee frosh who was able to participate in spring practice ... while Boldin came in during August camp ... yet Boldin won the job and now they have blocked him from transferring.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Apparently not anymore...

http://blogs.mcall.com/nittany_lines/2011/01/report-bolden-now-staying-at-penn-state.html

Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, is reporting tonight that freshman Rob Bolden will return to Penn State this semester and compete for the starting quarterback job. Earlier this week, news had broken that Bolden, Penn State's starting QB the first part of this just completed season, wanted to transfer because of the lack of playing time over the last part of the season, especially in the Outback Bowl.