PDA

View Full Version : International Spring Trip

DJOM
January 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM
This question has nothing to do with the Princeton University Program. A D1 FCS program wants to play a spring game overseas. Program wants players to pay $4,000 a piece in order to make trip. If any player can not pay, that player can not go. Has anyone every heard of such an arrangement?

Redwyn
January 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM
This question has nothing to do with the Princeton University Program. A D1 FCS program wants to play a spring game overseas. Program wants players to pay $4,000 a piece in order to make trip. If any player can not pay, that player can not go. Has anyone every heard of such an arrangement?

It happens a lot with rowing programs on both the varsity and club level. Brown, Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, USC, Washington, RIT, MIT, and a few others go to the UK to race in international regattas - my understanding is that with the exception of the IRA champion, it is individually funded . I've also heard about rugby programs doing "international tours" that are 90% individually funded.

I think the only D1 ball sport I've heard of go international is lacrosse, and I have no idea what arrangement was struck there. Football seems a lot more difficult and expensive, although you'd be surprised how much NFL awareness there is overseas nowadays so people will come watch it.

My guess though, is that there really is only one place to do a game not in Canada, and that's in the UK. The BUAFL (British Universities American Football League) runs through the spring, and some of the programs - particularly Birmingham and Cardiff - put very good products onto the field. Birmingham even has an american football stadium the size of one for an FCS team.

JSUBison
January 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Navy and Notre Dame are playing in Ireland in 2011 or 2012, can't remember. I bet those schools aren't charging their players.

nwFL Griz
January 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Isn't Drake playing in Africa or something this spring?

EDIT: I just figured out that is what OP was talking about. It seems like they are doing fundraisers to cover some of the cost though.

Bogus Megapardus
January 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM

Division III Baseball and Lacrosse take spring trips to warm climes. The kids raise money and parents chip in. Kids stay 4 in a room at dive hotels. If you don't come up with the cash, you don't make the trip. It happens everywhere, all the time.

These are true scholar-athletes, playing for the love of the game.

SumItUp
January 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
These are true scholar-athletes, PAYING for the love of the game.

Fixed It For You

Model Citizen
January 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Any word on the percentage of players who have raised the money?