PDA

View Full Version : Consensus first-team All-America honors

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Here is the elite group who is officially a consensus first-team All-American. I didn'tt include CSN in this because they have not come out yet so I don't know and they name a full team and not a first, second, etc like the AP, etc. do. Once CSN is released if someone on here is left off I will include them but we still technically have our official first-team honorees since CSN lists a full 50-man team instead of a first, second, etc. list.

Here is the group of six who were on the first-team from the AFCA, Walter Camp, AP, Sports Network, and Phil Steele. Congrats to this bunch of players! Just a side note that I expect all but one of these guys to play in the NFL.

Offense
Pos Name Ht. Wt. Cl. School Coach Hometown (High School)
WR Raymond Webber 6-3 220 Sr. Arkansas-Pine Bluff Monte Coleman St. Louis, Mo. (Miller)
WR Tysson Poots 6-3 220 Sr. Southern Utah Ed Lamb Las Vegas, Nev. (Coronado)
OL Ben Ijalana 6-4 320 Sr. Villanova Andy Talley Hainesport, N.J. (Rancocas Valley)

Defense
Pos Name Ht. Wt. Cl. School Coach Hometown (High School)
LB J.C. Sherritt* 5-10 220 Sr. Eastern Washington Beau Baldwin Pullman, Wash. (Pullman)
DB Mark LeGree* 6-0 200 Sr. Appalachian St. Jerry Moore Columbus, Ga. (Pacelli Catholic)
DB Trumaine Johnson 6-3 197 Jr. Montana Robin Pflugrad Stockton, Calif. (Edison)

Mr. C
December 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
This is just plain DUMB!!! If you are not on the CSN All-American team, you are NOT consensus All-American. Where did you get such a dumb definition of what makes a consensus All-American? First-team has nothing, or form has nothing to do with it. Those of us in the know are well aware that the way that the Walter Camp and AFCA teams are selected make them subject to extreme criticism to begin with.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
This is just plain DUMB!!! If you are not on the CSN All-American team, you are NOT consensus All-American. Where did you get such a dumb definition of what makes a consensus All-American? First-team has nothing, or form has nothing to do with it. Those of us in the know are well aware that the way that the Walter Camp and AFCA teams are selected make them subject to extreme criticism to begin with.

I didn't say if a player is not on CSN's list they are not consensus but said since you don't do a first-team that we officially have the first-team consensus list. Not meant as a snub but since you name a full team and not a first, second, third, etc. list I would post a list of players who are on every first-team and not just a list of guys who are honored as an All-American in some fashion by every outlet. Because there are some guys who were not on the first-team by one outlet but on the list for all the others, etc.

I'll update as soon as you guys release your list. :)

bluehenbillk
December 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I can't find a CSN All-America list, is there a link???

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I can't find a CSN All-America list, is there a link???

Nope it is not out yet. They release it right after the title game. I would have included it if it had been out. I just pointed out that we now have every outlet who names a first-team list and I think Mr. C misunderstood. They name a 50-man team usually and will have 3 or 4 QBs listed and the others just name one QB to their team. Once it is out I will add it in this group.

DFW HOYA
December 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Aren't Walter Camp and AP the only nationally recognized lists left, given that UPI dropped an annual list years ago and ESPN/USA Today All-America doesn't have coverage at this level?

Nothing against CSN or Phil Steele, but these are not to the same national scope.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Aren't Walter Camp and AP the only nationally recognized lists left, given that UPI dropped an annual list years ago and ESPN/USA Today All-America doesn't have coverage at this level?

Nothing against CSN or Phil Steele, but these are not to the same national scope.

Actually the group you are thinking of is AP, Walter Camp, AFCA, and TSN. I believe they include the Sports Network in there.

Mr. C
December 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Not the same national scope? How idiotic. College Sporting News covers FCS more than any other outlet. We have columnists at more FCS games by far each weekend than any other media outlet. I also have a lot of respect for the burgeoning work that Phil Steele is doing on the FCS front. CSN and Phil Steele will probably be the best of the All-America teams when all is said and done.

Walter Camp and AFCA are extremely political, with a tendency to spread around honors based on recognizing every league, rather than to honor the top players. There have been some memorable snubs from both in recent years.

Mr. C
December 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I didn't say if a player is not on CSN's list they are not consensus but said since you don't do a first-team that we officially have the first-team consensus list. Not meant as a snub but since you name a full team and not a first, second, third, etc. list I would post a list of players who are on every first-team and not just a list of guys who are honored as an All-American in some fashion by every outlet. Because there are some guys who were not on the first-team by one outlet but on the list for all the others, etc.

I'll update as soon as you guys release your list. :)

It doesn't matter whether we do an all-encompassing team, or a first, second and third team, if you are not recognized by CSN, you are NOT consensus. We choose to wait until the final FCS game is played to announce our All-America team. Who made you the expert on this subject anyway?

Mr. C
December 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Nope it is not out yet. They release it right after the title game. I would have included it if it had been out. I just pointed out that we now have every outlet who names a first-team list and I think Mr. C misunderstood. They name a 50-man team usually and will have 3 or 4 QBs listed and the others just name one QB to their team. Once it is out I will add it in this group.

Mr. C didn't misunderstand anything. Why not take your foot out of your mouth, SCFBF?

For the record, we release our team the week after the championship game (after the completion of the FCS season) and it will be 63 players to represent 63 scholarships at the FCS level this year.

Go...gate
December 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I thought Nate Eachus was a consensus All-American. Where did this list come from?

Side Judge
December 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Mr. C didn't misunderstand anything. Why not take your foot out of your mouth, SCFBF?

For the record, we release our team the week after the championship game (after the completion of the FCS season) and it will be 63 players to represent 63 scholarships at the FCS level this year.

Lighten up please. "Consensus" based on existing lists is valid, as is modifying this list when CSN releases their team after the NC game.

Mr. C
December 29th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Lighten up please. "Consensus" based on existing lists is valid, as is modifying this list when CSN releases their team after the NC game.
If something is FACTUALLY incorrect, it is factually incorrect. He wasn't modifying anything in his original post, which has been EDITED by him. He said that is was done, that these players were consensus. I respectfully will challenge anything that takes a slap at College Sporting News.

MaximumBobcat
December 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Not the same national scope? How idiotic. College Sporting News covers FCS more than any other outlet. We have columnists at more FCS games by far each weekend than any other media outlet. I also have a lot of respect for the burgeoning work that Phil Steele is doing on the FCS front. CSN and Phil Steele will probably be the best of the All-America teams when all is said and done.

Walter Camp and AFCA are extremely political, with a tendency to spread around honors based on recognizing every league, rather than to honor the top players. There have been some memorable snubs from both in recent years.

I respectfully will challenge anything that takes a slap at College Sporting News.

Yep, calling things "dumb" and "idiotic" is sure respectful and certainly is a quick way to gain more professional credibility for CSN.

Lulu
December 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Play's over. Move on!