View Full Version : Could Delaware be moving up to the FBS ?

Gamecocks99
December 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Discuss ?

Do they have a team from their state in the FBS ?

Oldhen
December 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Discuss ?

No FBS team... DSU in MEAC and Wesley College in D3. That's it!

Some interest in FBS from some of the fans, but the administration verbalizes a steadfast commitment to the CAA... which we expect to be reconstituted as a more southerly conference as GaSt and ODU ramp up... perhaps joined by some other schools with expected defections by UMass and 'Nova (and maybe Maine going the route of Northeastern and Hofstra).

UD's adminsitration has too much on their plate in developing a new law school and a technology campus catering to partnerships with business to devote a lot of effort in that direction... I think that discussion might take place seriously a few years after our training facility and stadium upgrades... some of which we expect to actually happen...

bluehenbillk
December 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
There are many UD fans that would like to make the jump, but Oldhen is correct that the admin at UD don't really seem to have that same vision, There are issues enough with them supporting athletics & the activities that surround them before we talk about adding 22 schollies & making stadium additions/improvements.

henfan
December 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Agree. The most likely scenario that would find UD in an FBS league would involved them achieving it as part of CAA league-wide FB reclassification.

LouiseBFree
December 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Yes, joining the WAC! xlolx

Discuss ?

blueballs
December 23rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
There are many UD fans that would like to make the jump, but Oldhen is correct that the admin at UD don't really seem to have that same vision, There are issues enough with them supporting athletics & the activities that surround them before we talk about adding 22 schollies & making stadium additions/improvements.

... and don't forget adding 22 schollies for football means 22 more for women's sports and the upgrades/facilities/travel for them too.

bluehenbillk
December 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
... and don't forget adding 22 schollies for football means 22 more for women's sports and the upgrades/facilities/travel for them too.

I wouldn't worry about that part of the equation, heck we just added a women's golf team.

JROCK98
December 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Listening to most Delaware fans they dont need the extra 22 scholarships to compete and beat most FBS teams, so why not make the move as is.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Agree. The most likely scenario that would find UD in an FBS league would involved them achieving it as part of CAA league-wide FB reclassification.

Within 4 years that conference could be better than the MAC, Sun Belt, and WAC.

gannonchokedagain
December 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
They should move up. Just as they should really build a new 40,000 seat stadium across the street on the former Chrysler assembly plant site, but they won't. For some reason, they want a law school.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
They should move up. Just as they should really build a new 40,000 seat stadium across the street on the former Chrysler assembly plant site, but they won't. For some reason, they want a law school.

Yeah, seriously, what are they thinking? Building a technology park and teaming up with various business and industries in an effort to increase educational opportunities and help the statewide economy, versus becoming a lower tier FBS school playing maybe 5 home games a year to only a few thousand more than what they draw today. You'd get the idea that the U of D is an educational institute rather than a football factory. Misplaced priorities indeed.

AAadict
December 24th, 2010, 03:53 AM
This question comes up a bunch with Hen's fans. FBS or FCS? I think the "B" in FBS tells us why we should remain FCS. What bowl could UD possibly play in? How would we recruit players looking at ACC or Big East schools? Transfers stop looking at Delaware as hard since they would have to sit out a year.

I can tell you we are all waiting to see how Villanova makes out if they join the Big East. Will their fans support a 2-10 team? They don't seem to support a 10-2 season now? Sure playing Syracuse will help over Say Towson or even UD.

Right now the Hen's don't seem to have an offer from any conference but I can tell you they are working hard to make sure they have the $ system in place to make the move. Next year $ donations are required to keep your seats. You don't donate all that seat $ to see West Chester or Towson.

HenZoneNation
December 24th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Listening to most Delaware fans they dont need the extra 22 scholarships to compete and beat most FBS teams, so why not make the move as is.

Coz Appy St fans were very realistic about their chances after AE left...I've heard of this syndrone before...something about the pot calling the kettle black...

Fordham
December 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, seriously, what are they thinking? Building a technology park and teaming up with various business and industries in an effort to increase educational opportunities and help the statewide economy, versus becoming a lower tier FBS school playing maybe 5 home games a year to only a few thousand more than what they draw today. You'd get the idea that the U of D is an educational institute rather than a football factory. Misplaced priorities indeed.Ha!

Well played!

NoCoDanny
December 25th, 2010, 12:19 AM

Delaware doesn't currently have a law school?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 25th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Major college football is a tough sell in the Northeast. If Delaware decided to move up they would find that out rather quickly. Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Temple, Maryland and Boston College all struggle with attendance. Delaware has a small, but loyal fanbase. I believe it would be tough to attract crowds large enough to make UD a viable BCS conference candidate. Otherwise they'll be like Temple, stuck in the FBS purgatory. Granted, i still enjoy the MAC games.

Temple has a ceiling of about 35-40k per game factoring in some Philly support. UD is likely 30-35k.

It will be a monumental accomplishment if Villanova can pull off the move. As a private school the hurdles are enormous.

Oldhen
December 25th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Delaware doesn't currently have a law school?

I think there are four within fifty miles of campus, so they never established one.... but there seems to be a press to train folks for corporate issues argued in Delaware Chancery Court, and with the number of companies incorporated in state, that's a Big Deal.

Oldhen
December 25th, 2010, 03:43 AM
It will be a monumental accomplishment if Villanova can pull off the move. As a private school the hurdles are enormous.

I can't see how things are much different from the last time they tried this and failed.

blukeys
December 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think there are four within fifty miles of campus, so they never established one.... but there seems to be a press to train folks for corporate issues argued in Delaware Chancery Court, and with the number of companies incorporated in state, that's a Big Deal.

Ivytalk can give us a list of potential business law profs who would be willing to teach a few classes after retirement from the Delaware Judiciary. Look for the names of Steele, Chandler, et al to appear on the faculty list.

Heck Ivytalk may have his resume ready to send in right now.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
A law school is a good forward thinking move for purposes of alumni donations and support in the future as well - corporate lawyers makes tons of money.

ngineer
December 25th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Delaware is too smart to make a move to FBS. They are a big chicken in a middle sized pot right now. They have a national reputation already; they don't need to get into the pigsty of FBS football to accomplish anything, and more than not, be just a mediocre team struggling to get some some kind of minor bowl appearance each year?

Candor
December 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
which conference would they go to though?