PDA

View Full Version : Best Game of the Year?

heath
December 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I will be a CAA homer and say the NOVA-Delaware OT game.Szczur(return) was amazing,but...............may have been what the DR. ordered for the Blue Hens. A wakeup call.

beanburrito
December 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
One of the first games of the year, App State rallying to beat Chattanooga 42-41, has to be right up there. Mocs cut it to one late, went for the 2-point conversion and App broke up the pass.

Eastern Washington's OT win over North Dakota State in the quarters has to be among the best, too.

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
I will be a CAA homer and say the NOVA-Delaware OT game.Szczur was amazing,but...............may have been what the DR. ordered for the Blue Hens. A wakeup call.

Huh? Dude did you even watch the game, Szczur was in for about 10-12 plays in the 1st half & sat the rest of the game.....

Screamin_Eagle174
December 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
I will be a CAA homer and say the NOVA-Delaware OT game.Szczur was amazing,but...............may have been what the DR. ordered for the Blue Hens. A wakeup call.

Scissors only had 3 carries for 24 yards in that game. Great average yes, but only 24 yards and 3 carries... not much of an impact in that game. Good game, but I wouldn't say the best. I'd have to agree with the two games beanburrito mentioned, App State/Chattanooga to start the year, and EWU driving 90 yards in the final two minutes without Taiwan, completing two 4th and 10s to tie the game, then scoring a TD on the first play of OT. We had that game lost dead to rights.

heath
December 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Huh? Dude did you even watch the game, Szczur was in for about 10-12 plays in the 1st half & sat the rest of the game.....

Szczur returned,amazing his presence made the difference.He took baby steps in that game but preparing him for ASU.

JBB
December 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
NDSU Beats The Kansas Jayhawks. A charter member of the Big 12. One of only 3 FCS teams to beat a Big 12 Squad (moral victories not counted), huge underdogs, game picked as one of the most lopsided schedules by an FBS school BEFORE the season started, NDSU BISON coming off a 3-8 season, mocking of NDSU and its fans by many BEFORE the game (especially those of us that foresaw the NDSU win), A victory for the HERD and a new page in BISON LORE.

EdubAlum
December 22nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
NDSU Beats The Kansas Jayhawks. A charter member of the Big 12. One of only 3 FCS teams to beat a Big 12 Squad (moral victories not counted), huge underdogs, game picked as one of the most lopsided schedules by an FBS school BEFORE the season started, NDSU BISON coming off a 3-8 season, mocking of NDSU and its fans by many BEFORE the game (especially those of us that foresaw the NDSU win), A victory for the HERD and a new page in BISON LORE.

Ill give you best win for that, but not best game.

JMUNJ08
December 22nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
It was more ugly than great but still such a signature game for ALL of FCS...21-16

JMU over VT (BCS bowl bound) - The Dukes didn't even make the playoffs!

Dukes needed key turnovers, defensive stops and then had to comeback and win the game in the 2nd half!

Drama and a MAJOR upset! Cannot get too much better than that!

Screamin_Eagle174
December 22nd, 2010, 11:10 PM

Not even best win... JMU over VT completely trumps that.

TheValleyRaider
December 22nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
If you want to talk FBS comeback wins, let's give credit to Jacksonville State rallying then winning in OT against Ole Miss

DJKyR0
December 23rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
If you want to talk FBS comeback wins, let's give credit to Jacksonville State rallying then winning in OT against Ole Miss

Have to agree. As a fan of the Bison the Kansas win was huge but by and large it was an ugly game, not terrifically entertaining if you're a casual fan - defense, lack of offensive execution, field goals. The Jax St.-Ole Miss game was crazy exciting.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Eastern Washington's OT win over North Dakota State in the quarters has to be among the best, too.

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

udchuck
December 23rd, 2010, 09:47 AM
How about the last second win Dayton /Drake game, The fans and Players from both teams will remember that game for years.

Eaglesrus
December 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

This might not make a list of best played games, either, but I think GSU's overtime win over App State should be on the list of most exciting (well, it was for GSU fans, at least).

JSU02
December 23rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Have to agree. As a fan of the Bison the Kansas win was huge but by and large it was an ugly game, not terrifically entertaining if you're a casual fan - defense, lack of offensive execution, field goals. The Jax St.-Ole Miss game was crazy exciting.

I am biased, but I do think the most exciting game was Jax State/Ole Miss. The Gamecocks rallied from a 31-10 halftime deficit to tie it up on a 2 point conversion with 18 seconds left in the 4th. A true freshman QB, in his first collegiate game, later completed a 30yard touchdown pass on 4th & 15 to make it 48-47, and then goes for the 2 point conversion to win it. And just as it looked as tough he was gonna get sacked by an Ole Miss defender, he throws the world's ugliest shovel pass to win it.

I do think the biggest FCS upset was JMU over VT, but the dramatic comeback and 2OT win by JSU made the Ole Miss upset the most exciting game.

Bam
December 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
EKU over then #2 Jax St 49-37 in Richmond. EKU offense looked good for once. The high rate of scoring was highlighted in the third quarter as the two teams combined for 35 points.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Either Eastern Washington over NDSU or South Dakota over Minnesota. Both good games.

jmufan999
December 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
i wasn't there but i'm guessing UD-Nova was a pretty good game.

i didn't physically see many good FCS games this year, most of them were either not competitive or just painful to watch (see: JMU vs. Liberty).

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
i wasn't there but i'm guessing UD-Nova was a pretty good game.

i didn't physically see many good FCS games this year, most of them were either not competitive or just painful to watch (see: JMU vs. Liberty).

Didn't see it, but what about Villanova down by 21 coming back to beat SFA at home to advance in the playoffs???

CropDuster
December 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
This might not make a list of best played games, either, but I think GSU's overtime win over App State should be on the list of most exciting (well, it was for GSU fans, at least).

GSU/App and GSU/Furman were both pretty exciting.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Best Win: JMU over BCS Bowl Game-bound VA Tech.

Best Game: EWU OT win over NDSU.

Happy Holidays to all and lets hope we end them with a classic in Frisco! xpeacex

Reign of Terrier
December 23rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
heck I'm gonna say anyone of GSU's games against Socon rivals no joke

blueballs
December 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM
heck I'm gonna say anyone of GSU's games against Socon rivals no joke

Certainly the games against Wofford and App at Paulson! Those were two GREAT games to watch.

glsjunior
December 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am biased, but I do think the most exciting game was Jax State/Ole Miss. The Gamecocks rallied from a 31-10 halftime deficit to tie it up on a 2 point conversion with 18 seconds left in the 4th. A true freshman QB, in his first collegiate game, later completed a 30yard touchdown pass on 4th & 15 to make it 48-47, and then goes for the 2 point conversion to win it. And just as it looked as tough he was gonna get sacked by an Ole Miss defender, he throws the world's ugliest shovel pass to win it.

I do think the biggest FCS upset was JMU over VT, but the dramatic comeback and 2OT win by JSU made the Ole Miss upset the most exciting game.

JSU vs. GSU. JSU wins in overtime based on a reversed game tying td catch by Georgia State. Considering that JSU had just beat Ole Miss 2 weeks before and this was GSU's third game EVER that was an exciting finish.

Red & Black
December 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
JMU over VT, or EWU over Montana

HailSzczur
December 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
JSU over Ole Miss or JMU over VTech, just for the david and goliath aspect.
didnt see all of the NDSU EWU game, but the last few drives and OT were some of the better football ive seen.

PaladinFan
December 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
GSU/App and GSU/Furman were both pretty exciting.

eh, GSU/Furman wasn't a "great" game. It was close, but it was poor football. Both teams were fumbling it away most of the afternoon. Outside of the first play from scrimmage, it was pretty ugly football by both sides.

blueballs
December 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
JSU vs. GSU. JSU wins in overtime based on a reversed game tying td catch by Georgia State. Considering that JSU had just beat Ole Miss 2 weeks before and this was GSU's third game EVER that was an exciting finish.

Georgia Southern University didn't play Jax St this year.

blueballs
December 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
eh, GSU/Furman wasn't a "great" game. It was close, but it was poor football. Both teams were fumbling it away most of the afternoon. Outside of the first play from scrimmage, it was pretty ugly football by both sides.

I dunno PalFan, I kinda enjoyed the last 10 minutes of that game. :-)

But you're right, that game was more about GSU's heart than it was about quality play on wither side.

Mr. C
December 26th, 2010, 05:10 PM
It would be hard to find better games than Jacksonville State-Mississippi and Appalachian State-Chattanooga from the very first weekend of the season in terms of competitiveness and QUALITY of play. In terms of history, JMU over Virginia Tech was one of the three best FCS vs FBS wins ever. I was fortunate to see a string of close games early in the year and one of the most entertaining ones I saw in person (and one that most FCS fans didn't get to watch) was Montana at Cal Poly. It was competitive and it went down to the wire. And it is a game that has become one of the better inter-conference games in FCS.

Villanova-Delaware was made all the better because of what was on the line for both teams. For some reason, I didn't think the quality of the game quite reached that of JSU-Ole Miss and ASU-UTC, though.

I had to laugh at North Dakota State and Kansas being mentioned. That was one of the ugliest games I saw this season, though it was a great win for the Bison.

Redhawk2010
December 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I would agree with JSU-Ole Miss. I'll also throw out there SEMO-JSU that came down to a touchdown with 11 seconds left on the clock and they said the quarterback was able to get the throw off while he had two players hanging on his legs..

Redbirdz
December 26th, 2010, 10:57 PM
JSU over Ole Miss was indeed crazy exciting. Although JSU finished a disappointing 9-3, it made the season.

Walkon79
December 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
MSU 64
Sac State 61

Not the best game, but for me the most exciting.

glsjunior
December 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Georgia Southern University didn't play Jax St this year.

There is a university called Georgia Southern? Oh, you mean the Meth Lab Academy of Statesboro?

Thundar
December 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM

No way that game was BAD, I have to say the SU EWU OT playoff game so far

JBB
December 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
A loss is Thundars pick for best game of the year? I dont understand that. What loss would be your pick for second best game? xlolx

EWU OT was a good game, but it was seriously flawed by the officials and didnt result in anything of lasting value for NDSU, The BISON and the State of North Dakota. The Kansas win is a thing of legend.

It was the Kansas win that got NDSU to EWU for the loss.

Beating a Big 12 team is never bad, unless its a moral win.

Next....

Rekdiver
December 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
4 games stand out.

JMU's win over VT
GSU's OT win over ASU
JState over Ole Miss
NDSU over Kansas......

The win that had the biggest impact on their season has to be the GSU win of ASU.

OhioHen
December 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
5-OT thriller - one win Towson over playoff-bound Coastal Carolina.

cannonballgsu
December 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hate to be a homer, but the GSU win in OT against App State was pretty huge. Going into that game 4-4 with hopes to not get blown out, we somehow hold the #1 team in the nation to only 14 points in the first half, and scoreless in the second half, and force a fumble in OT for the win. I guarantee you that no one saw that coming and the results sparked a fire for the rest of the season.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Disclosure: This is a complete homer pick.

But... the Richmond vs. Elon game to open Robins Stadium had a great finish and the unique scenario of being the first game on Richmond's campus in 80 years. Riddle threw a perfect pass with no time left to the back corner of the end zone with good coverage to tie it, which was probably the most impressive throw and catch I've seen in person considering the circumstances. Then Richmond blocked an Elon FG before senior RB Tyler Kirchoff rushed 3 straight times, including the 16 yard winning TD in OT for a thrilling finish in the new stadium.

Definitely not the best game of the year in terms of quality of play, but the excitement around the stadium opening and the end of the game will make it one of my most memorable.

JBB
December 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Novas win at App State in the playoffs was pretty impressive too!

Thundar
December 31st, 2010, 08:41 PM
A loss is Thundars pick for best game of the year? I dont understand that. What loss would be your pick for second best game? xlolx

EWU OT was a good game, but it was seriously flawed by the officials and didnt result in anything of lasting value for NDSU, The BISON and the State of North Dakota. The Kansas win is a thing of legend.

It was the Kansas win that got NDSU to EWU for the loss.

Beating a Big 12 team is never bad, unless its a moral win.

Next....

A loss has nothing to with it. The Kansas game was a boring horrid game to watch, the EWU game even though a loss was a much more exciting and fun game to watch

NEXT

JBB
December 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
The Kansas Game was a thing of beauty. You don't like football the way it is supposed to be played? I once talked to a pretty girl on the airplane and she didn't like the Rolling Stones.

I'm semi crazy but The Herd knocked the stuffing out of the Jayhawks. You got to be half nutz.

FargoBison
December 31st, 2010, 10:56 PM
JBB it was the most exciting 6-3 game I've ever watched.

I-16Bandit
January 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
There is a university called Georgia Southern? Oh, you mean the Meth Lab Academy of Statesboro?

Was that necessary?

Tubby Raymond
January 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Still got a hard-on for NDSU ehhhh

1andDone
January 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
USA over UC_Davis 24-21 on a last second missed field goal or USA over Georgia State 39-34

Other picks include JMU over VT or Jacksonville State over Ole Miss