PDA

View Full Version : New Northeast Football Scenario!

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Based on the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what will happen with the Patriot League, if anything, I will also make wildly uninformed and irrational assumptions.

Bucknell and Lafayette will be asked to join the Ivy League. 10 is better than 8, and these two schools have been making nice with the Ivies for decades. Clearly this is a fit and you heard it here first.

Lehigh, Fordham, and Colgate will join a newly named Northeast Football conference. Other members will include UNH, Maine, Boston U (when they bring back football), Vermont (they are close by), Albany, Stony Brook, and at least two other random schools that I may as well have picked out of a hat. Oh and William & mary and Richmond for good measure.

An act of congress will finally allow Holy Cross to join the Big East so their fans will finally shut up about it. Someone told the Georgetown President that they have a football team, and in light of these developments we can expect a comment on the matter in a year.

The fact of the matter is that for most of the schools in the PL, the PL is the only football conference each school has ever competed in. The schools came togther and created a league of peer institutions and slow moving presidents will do what they can to keep the league together. I predict the league eventually comes around and will offer scholarships. It may get ugly and it may take 2 more years to get it done, but it is still the most likley scenario in my mind. Until then we will be assaulted by 900 blog posting by LFN about some random assertions and metaphors using science fiction movies. Can't wait.

ngineer
December 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Based on the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what will happen with the Patriot League, if anything, I will also make wildly uninformed and irrational assumptions.

Bucknell and Lafayette will be asked to join the Ivy League. 10 is better than 8, and these two schools have been making nice with the Ivies for decades. Clearly this is a fit and you heard it here first.

Lehigh, Fordham, and Colgate will join a newly named Northeast Football conference. Other members will include UNH, Maine, Boston U (when they bring back football), Vermont (they are close by), Albany, Stony Brook, and at least two other random schools that I may as well have picked out of a hat. Oh and William & mary and Richmond for good measure.

An act of congress will finally allow Holy Cross to join the Big East so their fans will finally shut up about it. Someone told the Georgetown President that they have a football team, and in light of these developments we can expect a comment on the matter in a year.

The fact of the matter is that for most of the schools in the PL, the PL is the only football conference each school has ever competed in. The schools came togther and created a league of peer institutions and slow moving presidents will do what they can to keep the league together. I predict the league eventually comes around and will offer scholarships. It may get ugly and it may take 2 more years to get it done, but it is still the most likley scenario in my mind. Until then we will be assaulted by 900 blog posting by LFN about some random assertions and metaphors using science fiction movies. Can't wait.

That, we can agree upon. I think those 'leaning' toward scholarships still saw the opportunity to implement scholarships if the 'recalcitrant' ones were given more time. Otherwise, postponing the formal vote makes no sense.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Based on the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what will happen with the Patriot League, if anything, I will also make wildly uninformed and irrational assumptions... Until then we will be assaulted by 900 blog posting by LFN about some random assertions and metaphors using science fiction movies. Can't wait.

I presume you're talking about the "random assertions" made by your own president. xrolleyesx

You are free to interpret the facts the way you want to, and I am free to interpret them the way I want to.

But rest assured I want none of my "scenarios" to pass. I want Lehigh and Lafayette together in the same league... with scholarships. I just fear that it will never happen... because of the actions of your president, who made his feelings well known in his leak to the student newspaper.

Sader87
December 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Finally....about freakin' time....Jesus wept.

bonarae
December 18th, 2010, 10:05 PM

I don't think the Presidents can side with you. xchinscratchx

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think the Presidents can side with you. xchinscratchx

Mark it down, the Tank said it first.

Bogus Megapardus
December 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I just fear that it will never happen... because of the actions of your president, who made his feelings well known in his leak to the student newspaper.

Actually, it was the abject ineptitude and inaction of your president as much as anything. If Lehigh is supposed to the undisputed leader and commandant of the PL, why is your president now so completely feckless and impotent, and unable to muster the consensus to pull this through? If, indeed, Lehigh actually did vote in favor of scholarships (it hasn't said one way or the other, of course), then why does Lehigh have so little influence over or respect amongst the majority of the other league presidents?

Lafayette's vote was completely consistent with all prior statements. While we have no idea whatsoever how Lehigh voted, what we do know is that, if Lehigh indeed was in favor of the measure, its president represented her school in a weak, hapless and ineffective manner, and that she completely lacks the wherewithal to stand up for her now-obvious ineptitude.

I might not agree with the Weiss, but we do know that no part of him being carried around in Alice Gast's handbag, that's for sure. Gast, on the other hand, has been revealed as lame and ineffectual, and whatever effort she might have made last week to try to break up the Patriot League, so that Lehigh might finally be able to assert its might, completely failed.

Spiderbone
December 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah that'll be the day when Richmond and WM leave the CAA (which is quickly becoming an all Virginia/Southern conference) to play a bunch of teams they have no history, tradition or otherwise with.

holycrossC
December 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Holy Cross to the big east? put down the deoderant.

Bogus Megapardus
December 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah that'll be the day when Richmond and WM leave the CAA (which is quickly becoming an all Virginia/Southern conference) to play a bunch of teams they have no history, tradition or otherwise with.

You are correct - Richmond and W&M will not leave the CAA. But that doesn't discount the fact that W&M actually was a charter member of the Patriot when it was formed and that Richmond was within a hair's breadth on joining (it's then-president already had agreed to do so). Richmond's alumni wisely persuaded the administration not to do so because it would have to have given up its scholarships.