PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern . . . IS BACK

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Finally!

And what a heck of a run. The coaches and players never quit, even when we were 4-4 and App. State was about to score to make it 21-0 in the first quarter. Can't wait until next season!

Tubby Raymond
December 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I wanna hear you say you were outplayed and outcoached. We had better athtetes and that 's why we won the game. Only then do you get some props

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I wanna hear you say you were outplayed and outcoached. We had better athtetes and that 's why weonw the game. Only then do you get some props

I guess you could say that we were "outplayed" in that you didn't repeatedly turn the ball over when you were about to score. Outcoached? Don't know about that.

Eaglesrus
December 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I wanna hear you say you were outplayed and outcoached. We had better athtetes and that 's why we won the game. Only then do you get some props

Feel free to hold your breath until you hear it. Don't worry, we don't need props from you.

theasushow
December 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
i was hoping this thread was made by a non-gsu fan, like maybe a delaware fan that was congratulating GSU on a semifinal run. that may warrant a little more merit. good season though.

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Finally!

And what a heck of a run. The coaches and players never quit, even when we were 4-4 and App. State was about to score to make it 21-0 in the first quarter. Can't wait until next season!

Did I miss something??? Didn't Delaware win today??? Never seen anyone celebrate a defeat before...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Did I miss something??? Didn't Delaware win today??? Never seen anyone celebrate a defeat before...

We return everyone on offense next season, and 9 starters on defense. Also we will get back quite a few starters who have had season-ending injuries. We were also 5-6 last year and got back to the semis in one year. That's cause for celebration.

TwoFeathers
December 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
We return everyone on offense next season, and 9 starters on defense. Also we will get back quite a few starters who have had season-ending injuries. We were also 5-6 last year and got back to the semis in one year. That's cause for celebration.

If Ga Southern can replicate the run they had this year again, then congrats are in order. Getting to the semi's is a huge accomplishment, but will be tough to do it again next year. Good luck.

T-Dawg95
December 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Finally!

I heard that in 2007 after Hatcher's first year as well...

Don't count your chickens.

blueballs
December 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM

He's celebrating a successful season. Yes GSU lost to a very good UD team that played what was for the most part error free football, which is what champions do, but they are at least one year ahead of schedule and their success was a pleasant and fun surprise for their fans.

And yes, getting to the semis is a huge accomplishment regardless of where you start and who you have- you have to survive at least 13 games to get there and that is never easy.

HenHouse1
December 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Two most important stats on the year for you guys... 45 and 22. 45 is the number of fumbles committed and 22 is the number of fumbles lost. You will have to fix that next year if you want to take the next step.

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Well, I'm a third party observer and I think the reason Delaware won is obvious: +5 in the Giveaway/Takeaway stat. Otherwise, it was a very evenly played game I think. As far as athletes go, I thought Georgia Southern looked like the faster team. Delaware looked a little bigger on the line of scrimmage. But I think most people would say Georgia Southern is the more "Athletic" team based on how most people view that term.

That doesn't necessarily mean "better." I watched the D-II game today and Delta State was defintely the more "athletic" team. But Minnesota Duluth won the game and I think the Bulldogs were the better team. Delta State definitely had a lot more speed and "athleticism" though.

I do think Delaware had a better quarterback for its system than Georgia Southern had for its system. For Georgia Southern's system to really work like it should, the quarterback has to be a real threat running the ball; a real threat to make long runs, etc. Shaw isn't like that. That's the one thing they were missing.

blueballs
December 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Two most important stats on the year for you guys... 45 and 22. 45 is the number of fumbles committed and 22 is the number of fumbles lost. You will have to fix that next year if you want to take the next step.

Very good observation and symptomatic of the first year in the new system!!!

JohnStOnge
December 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM

They didn't make it to the semifinals in 2007. Also, I think anyone who objectively watched that game knows that they matched up well with Delaware physically. They just turned the ball over including stuff like that totally unforced botched center snap from just outside of the Delaware goal line on the first drive. And they did it without really having the kind of quarterback they need to make their offense work like it should.

Bottom line is that they ditched the offense that brought them 6 national titles in 2005 then missed the playoffs 2006 - 2009. They bring the offense back and the very first year they make it to the semifinals and showed they were physically capable of making it to the national championship game (again, even though they don't really have the kind of quarterback they need for that offense to function at its best). The area they are located in produces the kind of talent they need for that offense. Lots of speed in Georgia. If I were a Georgia Southern fan, I'd be pretty fired up about the future right now.

bleedblue
December 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Re: Georgia Southern . . . IS BACK... on the bus heading home. That's what today was about. A WIN!

cowboy91
December 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It's good for I-AA football to have Georgia Southern back in the playoff hunt. Just my view. Nothing to be ashamed of but UD looks like they might be a team of destiny in 2010.

proasu89
December 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Congratulations to GSU on turning things around finishing the season strong. All things are pointing towards GSU being very stout and I'm already looking forward to their visit next year. So yes, GSU looks to be back.

straightshooter
December 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
The future is bright for GSU. Delaware loses 21 seniors off of this team. GSU returns 21 starters of their team, including 15 true freshmen and sophomore starters. This GSU team will get bigger, faster and stronger before next season, and they'll have more than a few months in this offense. Opposing coaches have said this is the worst GSU team you'll see for years to come.

tigonian02
December 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Then what happened for like 8 years when they didn't make the playoffs?

Hey learn to count cowboy....we made playoffs in 05. in those FOUR years of not making playoffs, there were 2 coaching changes (not counting the change to Monken this season), 2 changes in offensive schemes, and 2 losing seasons. In those years our best record was 7-4. THAT'S what happened.

cowboy91
December 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I don't pay attention to GSU. I didn't mean it to sound like smack. My mistake. I'm glad GSU is back.

parr90
December 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Well, I'm a third party observer and I think the reason Delaware won is obvious: +5 in the Giveaway/Takeaway stat. Otherwise, it was a very evenly played game I think. As far as athletes go, I thought Georgia Southern looked like the faster team. Delaware looked a little bigger on the line of scrimmage. But I think most people would say Georgia Southern is the more "Athletic" team based on how most people view that term.

That doesn't necessarily mean "better." I watched the D-II game today and Delta State was defintely the more "athletic" team. But Minnesota Duluth won the game and I think the Bulldogs were the better team. Delta State definitely had a lot more speed and "athleticism" though.

I do think Delaware had a better quarterback for its system than Georgia Southern had for its system. For Georgia Southern's system to really work like it should, the quarterback has to be a real threat running the ball; a real threat to make long runs, etc. Shaw isn't like that. That's the one thing they were missing.

Well said Stone. Thats one thing that hurts this offense is not having a homerun threat at QB. We have always had that but Shaw is not that guy, but thats the best we had this first year in the system. He has though been a good decision maker and leader.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Also, I think anyone who objectively watched that game knows that they matched up well with Delaware physically. They just turned the ball over

UD's OL had their way with GSU most of the day. You had to notice that. No sacks and 180+ yards rushing to a freshman? They didn't match up well at all in their DL, and the 40+ lbs/man they gave up was eventually the story of the game. ESPNU is going to replay the game. Watch it.

UD had three takeaways and GSU had two giveaways... eliminate the giveaways, GSU still loses.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The future is bright for GSU. Delaware loses 21 seniors off of this team. GSU returns 21 starters of their team, including 15 true freshmen and sophomore starters. This GSU team will get bigger, faster and stronger before next season, and they'll have more than a few months in this offense. Opposing coaches have said this is the worst GSU team you'll see for years to come.

I already have GSU pencilled in to the semi's next year.

cowboy91
December 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I think anyone who objectively watched that game knows that they matched up well with Delaware physically.

Delaware simply physically dominated the football game on both sides of the ball.

superman7515
December 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I already have GSU pencilled in to the semi's next year.

I don't see any way that the preseason poll won't include The GSU in the top 10 next season with their late run and returning players.

Oldhen
December 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I don't see any way that the preseason poll won't include The GSU in the top 10 next season with their late run and returning players.

I can't wait to see what they'll be like when they grow up.

I've been very impressed with them, and expect great things.

South Carolina Duke
December 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I would say that GA Southern is back in terms of being competitive in the SoCon. Which that in itself, is a good thing for the conference . Now App finally has some check for at least one game in the regular season.

Still the SoCon is soft, just look how the CAA teams were way more physical against the match ups that counted, VU vs ASU and UD vs Ga Southern.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I would say that GA Southern is back in terms of being competitive in the SoCon. Which that in itself, is a good thing for the conference . Now App finally has some check for at least one game in the regular season.

Still the SoCon is soft, just look how the CAA teams were way more physical against the match ups that counted, VU vs ASU and UD vs Ga Southern.

So those matchups between Nova and EWU and GSU and W&M, those somehow don't count? Is that what it is?

And maybe you weren't paying attention, but App. State squeaked by both Elon and UTC this year.

VUCats02
December 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM

So basically anything less than a national championship next year will be a disappointment....

BlueHenSinfonian
December 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM
So basically anything less than a national championship next year will be a disappointment....

For top tier programs isn't that always the case? You can always soothe yourself a bit with the 'well, it was a young team, we did better than we were expected to' routine, but for any CAA/SoCon/Big Sky team the real goal is always the NC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
For top tier programs isn't that always the case? You can always soothe yourself a bit with the 'well, it was a young team, we did better than we were expected to' routine, but for any CAA/SoCon/Big Sky team the real goal is always the NC.

Yup. If I was a UD fan and the hens didn't win the NC, can't say there should be at least some disappointment.

AppChicago
December 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM

For those playing along at home, this is how you cherry-pick cases to suit your ill-informed bias.

Thanks for the lesson, SC Dook!

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM
1 senior participated today I think with Webb out. That is unreal.

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 01:25 AM

That rube Hatcher never had a run. He was and is a terrible coach.

GSUwinsagain
December 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Why must you be a ? I guess you can't help but be one. xchinscratchx

ngineer
December 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Yes, ask Villanova!

GSU EAGLES
December 19th, 2010, 09:54 AM

What Delaware proved the most is that they take care of the ball. 0 turnovers and 0 fumbles. Ga Southern on the other hand had a fumble on the 1 yd line and another on the 5 yd line. Take those two fumbles away and the game would have been a dead heat to the end. But, that's football and to Delaware's credit they took care of business.

Laserlips
December 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Hi Tubby,

Our Eagles were outplayed yesterday! Congratulations to the Delaware faithful!

Can I get "half props""?

I cannot honestly say our team was "outcoached"... Our coaches didn't fumble the ball, what, 5 times?

But it is what it is, and I'm a happy GSU Eagle fan...xsmileyclapx

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Why can't you GSU guys wrap your head around the fact that those fumbles with one, maybe two exceptions were forced. They were the result of hard hits or hesitation/anticipation created by prior hard hits in the game.

Aliens didn't create those fumbles the best defense in I-AA did

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hi Tubby,

Our Eagles were outplayed yesterday! Congratulations to the Delaware faithful!

Can I get "half props""?

I cannot honestly say our team was "outcoached"... Our coaches didn't fumble the ball, what, 5 times?

But it is what it is, and I'm a happy GSU Eagle fan...xsmileyclapx

Best Wishes,

Jesse
49% props, no problem.

Our defensive coaches had a solution for the TO after that first series, that is my referance. GSU didn't adjust to our adjustments if that makes sense.

Either that was the problem or the one-dimensionality of that offense and I don't think that was the problem

Laserlips
December 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
That rube Hatcher never had a run. He was and is a terrible coach.

sean,

Respectfully, I disagree with you... I don't believe Coach Hatcher is a terrible coach, and I believe he will prove that with Murray State pretty quickly..

Coach Hatcher was NOT well suited to the GSU Program, which BVG/Bozo left in shambles, but nor would ANY coach have been that did not reinstitute the triple opion...

What Coach Hatcher was, in my opinion, was a very good Coach in the wrong place at the wrong time, and when he was fired he left with class. As far as I know he has never said ONE negative comment about either the GSU football program, nor the way in which he was terminated.

I believe Coach Hatcher to be very good coach given the right program, with SUPPORT from his players, the fans, and the School Adminstration.. Watch Murray State in the next few years, you might be surprised.

What Coach Chris Hatcher IS, IMO, is a fine PERSON, a class act if you will, and a very good Coach to boot.

No offense to you, just personal opinion.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

ASUSMC
December 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
You're correct, the SoCon has gotten soft and my beloved App was an overrated team, as evidenced by the Nova blowout. Still a very good team that is capable of winning any given Saturday, but without Edwards it's a different story.

The SoCon used to be a fiercely competitive conference so the resurgence of GA Southern is a good thing. Howeve, we've put up good numbers vs your CAA teams.

blueballs
December 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
sean,

Respectfully, I disagree with you... I don't believe Coach Hatcher is a terrible coach, and I believe he will prove that with Murray State pretty quickly..

Coach Hatcher was NOT well suited to the GSU Program, which BVG/Bozo left in shambles, but nor would ANY coach have been that did not reinstitute the triple opion...

What Coach Hatcher was, in my opinion, was a very good Coach in the wrong place at the wrong time, and when he was fired he left with class. As far as I know he has never said ONE negative comment about either the GSU football program, nor the way in which he was terminated.

I believe Coach Hatcher to be very good coach given the right program, with SUPPORT from his players, the fans, and the School Adminstration.. Watch Murray State in the next few years, you might be surprised.

What Coach Chris Hatcher IS, IMO, is a fine PERSON, a class act if you will, and a very good Coach to boot.

No offense to you, just personal opinion.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Hatcher recruited about 90% of the players that suited up yesterday. He did the best he could given the mess he inherited from van richard cranium and with tweedle dee and tweedle dum over him (Grub- misspelled intentionally- and Baker).

Monken is a better coach though, no question in my mind, and IMO has a chance to join the legends of the program if he stays at GSU long enough.

Baldy
December 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
49% props, no problem.

Our defensive coaches had a solution for the TO after that first series, that is my referance. GSU didn't adjust to our adjustments if that makes sense.

Either that was the problem or the one-dimensionality of that offense and I don't think that was the problem
UD held GSU to their season average, so your coaches did an average job.
Is that better? xlolx

GSU EAGLES
December 19th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Why can't you GSU guys wrap your head around the fact that those fumbles with one, maybe two exceptions were forced. They were the result of hard hits or hesitation/anticipation created by prior hard hits in the game.

Aliens didn't create those fumbles the best defense in I-AA did

Your guys really executed on that muffed exchange between Shaw and the o-line on the goal line. Also, on the one where McKinnon was at a full sprint inside the 10 and was grazed by a Delaware defender, no way he could have possibly held on to that one. Had nothing to do with Ga Southern protecting the ball, and all about superior defensive skills and coaching of Delaware.

Oldhen
December 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Your guys really executed on that muffed exchange between Shaw and the o-line on the goal line. Also, on the one where McKinnon was at a full sprint inside the 10 and was grazed by a Delaware defender, no way he could have possibly held on to that one. Had nothing to do with Ga Southern protecting the ball, and all about superior defensive skills and coaching of Delaware.

GSU had two giveaways. UD had three takeaways

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Is that better? xlolxPerfect. What was the points average per game for GSU?

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
You must not have been at the game.

I was having a smoke down by the gate where that fumble occurred (15 feet away) and if we are talking about the same play there was an audible pop and then a groan from a GSU player. One can only assume that it was the ball carrier.

glsjunior
December 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I think in Ga Southern's case it was just a scenario where a triple option team got hot and won a couple of games. They were fortunate to even be in the playoffs. In the next coming years I believe that they will find it hard to compete consistently, given the limitations of the offense, (see Ga Tech) and unlike in years past, Southern doesn't have a monopoly on FCS level talent in Georgia, N Fla, and Alabama because of new programs at Ga State, South Alabama, North Alabama, and soon, Kennesaw.

Spiderbone
December 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
GSU will be back when they actually make the playoffs more than one year in a row...AND win some games more than one year in a row.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I think in Ga Southern's case it was just a scenario where a triple option team got hot and won a couple of games. They were fortunate to even be in the playoffs. In the next coming years I believe that they will find it hard to compete consistently, given the limitations of the offense, (see Ga Tech) and unlike in years past, Southern doesn't have a monopoly on FCS level talent in Georgia, N Fla, and Alabama because of new programs at Ga State, South Alabama, North Alabama, and soon, Kennesaw.

Tech struggled this year because (1) their defense was making the transition to a new system and stunk this year, (2) the OL has had to be rebuilt this year and (3) because they just don't have the B-back that the offense needs to be successful. It's interesting that when a team running this offense has an off year it's because other defenses are catching on, but no so for the conventional offenses.

Also, there are plenty of FCS schools that already have been doing recruiting in Georgia. Shouldn't be any problem, especially considering the "mold" of player on many of the offensive positions (minus the B-back) is different than it is for most conventional offenses. Just look at how many Georgia players there are on a lot of rosters of top east coast FCS teams. GSU has not and has never had a "monopoly on FCS level talent in Georgia".

AppChicago
December 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
GSU will be back when they actually make the playoffs more than one year in a row...AND win some games more than one year in a row.

As an App fan, even my bones protest my saying this... but wait till next year.

And how about a little context? In addition to having more rings than anyone, the last one came 10 years ago, which isn't yesterday, but isn't an eon, either. They've had, what, 2 losing seasons this decade? 2006 and 2009. They had a bit of a playoff drought, but even that was only one good class rotation.

Furthermore, they return a ridiculously dangerous team next year. I'm not excited about facing them. That's for sure.

And we've got fans from Richmond and Ga State on here giving these guys guff? Where's the support for that? Those teams have a ring between them...

So, as an App State fan, I say they are back. I think there are plenty of SoCon fans and W&M fans and SC State fans who would tend to agree.

millwoga1
December 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
How do you define "back"? SoCon contender? yes, in my opinion but the top of the socon will be more competitive next year with Appy, Woff., Ga. Southern, UTC, Furman and Elon in no particular order all having a shot. If you define "back" as year in year out national title contender- I would say the verdict is still out. Obviously this year a contender but to do it in consecutive years is difficult and we won't know for a while. Or do you define "back" as dominant over the FCS? When will we see another team win three titles in a row again? In my opinion this is getting more and more difficult.

Reign of Terrier
December 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
GSU's defense and special teams got them where they were this year. The only game in the playoffs that their offense hit on cylinders was when they played an ill-prepared W&M team. Against Wofford they only had one good long touchdown drive at the beginning, a fumble for TD and three FG (and a touchdown that was called back followed by a missed field goal). The field goals were mostly set up by GSU's defense stopping Wofford and getting their ball at about their own 40 at least every time. Granted, they count and I'm not taking away from GSU's victory, but I'm pointing out that it wasn't the offense that got them there. a GSU team with an offense full of players fit for the system, coupled with ManBearPig on the DL should be a national title contender.

The weak Socon argument is null imo. had 1 or 2 games gone different this year we could have had 4 or 5 in the playoffs

glsjunior
December 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
As an App fan, even my bones protest my saying this... but wait till next year.

And how about a little context? In addition to having more rings than anyone, the last one came 10 years ago, which isn't yesterday, but isn't an eon, either. They've had, what, 2 losing seasons this decade? 2006 and 2009. They had a bit of a playoff drought, but even that was only one good class rotation.

Furthermore, they return a ridiculously dangerous team next year. I'm not excited about facing them. That's for sure.

And we've got fans from Richmond and Ga State on here giving these guys guff? Where's the support for that? Those teams have a ring between them...

So, as an App State fan, I say they are back. I think there are plenty of SoCon fans and W&M fans and SC State fans who would tend to agree.

The same thing is going to happen to App St. post Armanti. You will slowly return to the OK program that you were pre-2005, with about 15k per game attendance. Mark my words.

blueballs
December 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM

I needed a good laugh on an overcast day. Thanks!

Reign of Terrier
December 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
considering GT's problems were mostly defensive, you point is null. is this another Georgia State fan?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM
How do you define "back"? SoCon contender? yes, in my opinion but the top of the socon will be more competitive next year with Appy, Woff., Ga. Southern, UTC, Furman and Elon in no particular order all having a shot. If you define "back" as year in year out national title contender- I would say the verdict is still out. Obviously this year a contender but to do it in consecutive years is difficult and we won't know for a while. Or do you define "back" as dominant over the FCS? When will we see another team win three titles in a row again? In my opinion this is getting more and more difficult.

I would say back is when we are at least playing at the level we were up until 2005. I don't think anyone is saying GSU will build up a dynasty like App. did, unless GSU gets the next Adrian Peterson or Armanti Edwards. Also, I think most GSU fans (some guys like SeanTaylor being the exception) realize that this is not going to be the SoCon from the late '90s/early '00s. You don't have two big games with the rest being boring blowouts. I fully expect a tough season with App State, Wofford, and Elon all on the road.

Eaglesrus
December 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
considering GT's problems were mostly defensive, you point is null. is this another Georgia State fan?

How'd you guess?

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hatcher recruited about 90% of the players that suited up yesterday. He did the best he could given the mess he inherited from van richard cranium and with tweedle dee and tweedle dum over him (Grub- misspelled intentionally- and Baker).

Monken is a better coach though, no question in my mind, and IMO has a chance to join the legends of the program if he stays at GSU long enough.

Not sure about the 90% as we have a ton of walk ons playing as well. But, my pet peeve is that Hatcher didn't inherit a mess at all. That was a team one year removed from the playoffs, and with the advantage of already moving away from the triple option. VG's and Hatcher's offenses were very similar, with the garbage bubble screen being the prominent play in both. Hatcher also inherited the best player in the country. Monken inherited a far bigger mess than Hatcher did.

Reign of Terrier
December 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
How'd you guess?

lack of football knowledge and hyperbolic generalization. (they share those characteristics)

T-Dawg95
December 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Not sure about the 90% as we have a ton of walk ons playing as well. But, my pet peeve is that Hatcher didn't inherit a mess at all. That was a team one year removed from the playoffs, and with the advantage of already moving away from the triple option. VG's and Hatcher's offenses were very similar, with the garbage bubble screen being the prominent play in both. Hatcher also inherited the best player in the country. Monken inherited a far bigger mess than Hatcher did.

Nothing about that post was correct. Take it from someone who played against and knows several players who played for Van Gorder and Hatcher, everything you said is wrong.

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM

It's called being on the road for 5 out of 6 games, 10 games in a row without a break. All that travel final got to us. We were gassed before the game even began.

Never fear though, I'm sure Ga State loved reading articles about us in the AJC (YOUR TERRITORY). I'm sure no parents with a potential recruit got a look at who the contender in this state is....as well as the pretenders. We'll be just fine. We'll take your rejects and win national championships with them....we've done it before and we'll damn sure do it again.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
What game did the Delaware people watch yesterday?

2 giveaways from GSU. 3 forced takeaways? Huh?

#1- Jaybo fumbles in the center-qb exchange. Definately wasn't forced. Giveaway.

#2- J.J. Wilcox on the pop out. I'll give you that was forced because he was hit and it popped out. Ok.

#3- McKinnon on the edge. Never fully secured the ball (if you saw it on ESPNU they showed the reply and you could clearly see he didn't ever tuck the ball). He is hardly even touched and the ball flys out like Brian Urlacher laid him out. Giveaway.

#4- Jaybo pitched it straight into the d-lineman's chest. Biggest giveaway ever. Oprah doesn't even have giveaways that big.

#5- Jaybo threw the interception. I think that could go both ways. He threw it right to the defender, no reciever was anywhere near the throw, he wasn't under much pressure in the pocket. Looked like a misread throw that resulted in a giveaway. The defender didn't make a great play on the ball. He just stood there and Jaybo threw it right to him.

AppChicago
December 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM
The same thing is going to happen to App St. post Armanti. You will slowly return to the OK program that you were pre-2005, with about 15k per game attendance. Mark my words.

Your words are marked. Granted, you ignore the fact that we were rocking along before Armanti, and did pretty well this season post-Armanti, but hey... you're entitled to your opinion.
We may go down to mediocre. Let me know when you guys get UP to mediocre, and maybe we can meet in the middle. To be honest, I'd value a little bit of down time to separate the fairweathers from the real fans and let the program achieve a little equilibrium.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM
congrats on making it back to Statesboro safely

Baldy
December 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
#5- Jaybo threw the interception. I think that could go both ways. He threw it right to the defender, no reciever was anywhere near the throw, he wasn't under much pressure in the pocket. Looked like a misread throw that resulted in a giveaway. The defender didn't make a great play on the ball. He just stood there and Jaybo threw it right to him.

That interception bounced right off of Tray Butler's hands. He should have caught that pass. No excuses.

proasu89
December 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Since you didn't have a program in 2005 there's no way you could have known that we won it all in 05 before AE was here. xsmiley_wix

glsjunior
December 19th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Since you didn't have a program in 2005 there's no way you could have known that we won it all in 05 before AE was here. xsmiley_wix

Well technically it was pre-spread, but since Armanti is the symbol of that era I said pre Armanti. There is no doubt that App St. had one of the best runs in the history of college football, but I think it is coming to an end, courtesy of the CAA.

JBB
December 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I think GSU is simply delaying the inevitable by dumbing down their schedule next year as much as they could. Obviously an option attack isn't going anywhere in Fargo. The BISON, as part of their resume, have run the option better than any team in the history of football. The archives of The BISON LORE, deep under the stands at the Fabulous Fargo Dome, contain the most comprehensive data base ever compiled on the option. The GSU option is good, but the body of knowledge, coaching and the athletes on the NDSU BISON are better.

spdrumline
December 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Well technically it was pre-spread, but since Armanti is the symbol of that era I said pre Armanti. There is no doubt that App St. had one of the best runs in the history of college football, but I think it is coming to an end, courtesy of the CAA.

Oh no! The Georgia State fans are already starting the CAA nut-hugging. I don't think Appalachian State is going anywhere, and neither is Georgia Southern.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM

I think App State will continue to be a strong program. I doubt they will ever repeat their three in a row NC titles, but I doubt anyone will do that - it was an amazing, once in a lifetime feat. The SoCon has traditionally been one of the stronger, and deeper, FCS football conferences. With the resurgence of GaSou, and the emerging strength of Wofford and Elon, not to mention the possibility that coaching changes will return Furman to glory, the SoCon should continue to put multiple teams into the playoffs and have all of those teams arrive battle-hardened and ready for anything they face.

CAA football existed during Appy's epic run, it was just under the A-10 banner. Changing the name of the conference didn't do anything to suddenly make it better. In fact, with the potential loss of powerhouse programs UMass and Villanova, and the replacement being startup programs ODU and GaState, the overall level of CAA play is going to drop a bit in the coming years if anything. There will still be great teams, and I still think the CAA will be able to make an argument for being the strongest FCS conference, but GaState and ODU aren't going to be world beaters their first steps out of the gate.

seantaylor
December 19th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Nothing about that post was correct. Take it from someone who played against and knows several players who played for Van Gorder and Hatcher, everything you said is wrong.

What was wrong? I could care less how much other player's liked one coach over the other, but nothing was wrong with my post. Please fill me in.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Always nice to see fans from a program that's not even in the CAA yet proudly thumping their chest about the strength and accomplishments of the CAA. That's like the last guy on the pile celebrating 'his' tackle.

theasushow
December 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM

I hate to say it...but I think what you have seen the past 3 years ( 2 losses in the quarters, 1 loss in semi-finals) IS as subpar as you will see Appalachian. Because of their success they have outstanding recruiting which isn't going to fade any time soon. Losing in the quarters after being ranked #1 is a bit of a letdown year for ASU.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Is that better? xlolx

How do you figure, when GWU scored only 10 pts? Their average is 27.5. Do they also give the ball away 4 times per game on average???

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Either way, it doesn't show well for your team to give the ball away 4 times by themselves... I'd rather blame it on the other team if I were you. I'm just saying...

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, ask Villanova!

And Richmond... And JMU...

GSU has a couple of stand-out players, including Shaw and Russell (and the PK). If either one of those guys gets hurt for an extended period of time, they may be 1/2 the team. Look at Villanova and Szczur.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I guess the fact GSU couldn't stop AP had nothing to do with the game. Or is customary to give up 186 yards to one guy?

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM

If all stays the same, they should be in the top 4, right?

Eagle22
December 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I guess the fact GSU couldn't stop AP had nothing to do with the game. Or is customary to give up 186 yards to one guy?

Customary ? Nope.

But we've beaten teams in the semifnals before when their rusher churned out that many yards. I know in 1998 we beat Western Illinois silly (48-14) when Aaron Stecker gashed us for about 180 yards.

The game was more about turnovers (IMO) and our inability to protect the football. Had we gotten points in the redzone on those three fumbles, we might have been in a tie ball game or perhaps only down a single score. Who knows how the game goes if we score on that opening drive. Jaybo's interception was a moot point, as that was a 4th down play and after it bounced off of our receiver's hands ... it was essentially a turnover.

Personally, I felt we lost momentum during the Jaybo fumble on the one yard line and never regained it. Came close at times, but I can understand where some Hen fans felt like the game was in control at all times.

I feel good about what the Eagles accomplished this season, and feel even better knowing the bulk of those guys return. We can only get better on offense, and our defense will have room to improve as well.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well, do you think UD would have stopped passing if GSU had scored those points? We can play the what-if game all we want.

glsjunior
December 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Always nice to see fans from a program that's not even in the CAA yet proudly thumping their chest about the strength and accomplishments of the CAA. That's like the last guy on the pile celebrating 'his' tackle.

We are in the CAA. We aren't a football only school you know. Even if we didn't have a football team I'd talk about it.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
We are in the CAA. We aren't a football only school you know. Even if we didn't have a football team I'd talk about it.

You're right. You are in the CAA - but those other sports aren't important to me.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Listen, Shaw has had a broken clavicle and a couple of concussions already. If he goes out, can someone else step in and take them to the semi's again next year? McKinnon? Also, that kid Brent Russell almost bent his leg sideways in that game. If he goes down, is the GSU defense just average? I'm just asking...

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Listen, Shaw has had a broken clavicle and a couple of concussions already. If he goes out, can someone else step in and take them to the semi's again next year? McKinnon? Also, that kid Brent Russell almost bent his leg sideways in that game. If he goes down, is the GSU defense just average? I'm just asking...

They looked pretty average on Saturday.

That's one game I realize.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
They looked pretty average on Saturday.

That's one game I realize.

I will say that Brent Russell, for a sophmore, is going to be great if he can keep it up and stay healthy. However, I agree with you against Delaware. He was a non-factor, or maybe a minimal factor at best. The Delware lineman opposite him was better on that day.

T-Dawg95
December 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
What was wrong? I could care less how much other player's liked one coach over the other, but nothing was wrong with my post. Please fill me in.

The mess created by Van Gorder was far worse than the rebuilding process of Hatcher.

Van Gorder, moved personnel around and into bad positions for their talents, interacted on a limited basis with his players, put a new offense into place the players were unprepared to play and were out of position to execute, he ran off a lot of players that cared about GSU football, and left the program early.

When Hatcher got canned, he had his players in the right places playing the right positions, he had a plan in place with his offense, and he was recruiting talented players that fit his system.

So, no, the current coach did not inherit a bigger mess then Hatcher did.

In other words, everything you stated in your post was wrong.

seantaylor
December 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
The mess created by Van Gorder was far worse than the rebuilding process of Hatcher.

Van Gorder, moved personnel around and into bad positions for their talents, interacted on a limited basis with his players, put a new offense into place the players were unprepared to play and were out of position to execute, he ran off a lot of players that cared about GSU football, and left the program early.

When Hatcher got canned, he had his players in the right places playing the right positions, he had a plan in place with his offense, and he was recruiting talented players that fit his system.

So, no, the current coach did not inherit a bigger mess then Hatcher did.

In other words, everything you stated in your post was wrong.

So much wrong with your post. Hatcher had 3 years to recruit. The team got worse every single year, and we would have won 4 games at most if Hatcher was still here this year. VG was a terrible coach, but one year cannot destroy a program. The same studs from Sewaks run were still at GSU when Hatcher got there. Hatcher's staff was one of the worst staffs every assembled, littered with cousins, brothers, and high school coordinators.

Monken inherited a much worse situation. Don't forget that GSU's leading rusher, passer, and receiver all transfered as underclassmen before the season. The job Monken has done is as good as any GSU coach ever.

blueballs
December 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I think GSU is simply delaying the inevitable by dumbing down their schedule next year as much as they could. Obviously an option attack isn't going anywhere in Fargo. The BISON, as part of their resume, have run the option better than any team in the history of football. The archives of The BISON LORE, deep under the stands at the Fabulous Fargo Dome, contain the most comprehensive data base ever compiled on the option. The GSU option is good, but the body of knowledge, coaching and the athletes on the NDSU BISON are better.

How many of your option players a) are in the College Football Hall of Fame, b) are the all time leading rushers and scorers in the history of the division, and c) are sporting multiple division 1 championship rings?

No offense (pun uintended) to the Bison but the double slot option was invented and perfected at GSU and GSU has used it to make the division 1 semi finals 10 times, the championship game 8 times, and win the title 6 times.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Great season for GSU. Overcame adversity over and over again. I personally thought Furman was going to end your season right there in Greenville, but wonderful job coming back and continuing to win.

Reign of Terrier
December 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Great season for GSU. Overcame adversity over and over again. I personally thought Furman was going to end your season right there in Greenville, but wonderful job coming back and continuing to win.

So all this was Furman's fault. I hate purple

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
How many of your option players a) are in the College Football Hall of Fame, b) are the all time leading rushers and scorers in the history of the division, and c) are sporting multiple division 1 championship rings?

No offense (pun uintended) to the Bison but the double slot option was invented and perfected at GSU and GSU has used it to make the division 1 semi finals 10 times, the championship game 8 times, and win the title 6 times.

Of course the last time GSU won the national championship we were still trying to figure out who let the dogs out.

GSU Eagle
December 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Amazing how Delaware fans seem to not want to miss any chance to slam Georgia Southern.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Amazing how Delaware fans seem to not want to miss any chance to slam Georgia Southern.

Nobody is slamming GSU. Great program and a team with a great future.

We may take occasional exception to some assertions made by their fans on message boards

blueballs
December 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Of course the last time GSU won the national championship we were still trying to figure out who let the dogs out.

...and when was NDSU's last division 1 title???

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
...and when was NDSU's last division 1 title???

How would I know?

Eagle22
December 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Well, do you think UD would have stopped passing if GSU had scored those points? We can play the what-if game all we want.

No, UD would not have stopped passing. That would have possibly benefited us. (my what if :))

Yes, we could play the what-if game all day long ... sorry, you misconstrued my statements using the word "might" as a definitive declaration that had we not turned the ball over, we would have somehow won.

This season, GSU was in better position to win games versus teams that were predominantly throwing the ball ... I knew the running plays early were 'body blows' that caught up to us in the fourth quarter. Your pulling guards were having a field day late in the game blocking Josh Rowe ... it was too much for us to overcome with our mistakes. UD caused some of those, a few were unforced.

We couldn't stop UTC late in the game when we needed to, same with Samford, Wofford (regular season) and UD. All pounded the ball with big lines and quality RB's in the backfield. Only the Navy game didn't go by that script and barring a incredible pass play by them, we likely would have won that game.

We were without the services of one of our senior LB's the last two games, and that made a difference along with Dion Dubose's absence across the d-line front. Dubose got injured a few games ago (@ Western Carolina) and while his replacement (a true freshman) played well, that was another area where our depth is simply young and not as tested.

T-Dawg95
December 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
So much wrong with your post. Hatcher had 3 years to recruit. The team got worse every single year, and we would have won 4 games at most if Hatcher was still here this year. VG was a terrible coach, but one year cannot destroy a program. The same studs from Sewaks run were still at GSU when Hatcher got there. Hatcher's staff was one of the worst staffs every assembled, littered with cousins, brothers, and high school coordinators.

Monken inherited a much worse situation. Don't forget that GSU's leading rusher, passer, and receiver all transfered as underclassmen before the season. The job Monken has done is as good as any GSU coach ever.

Funny you say that Hatcher had terrible recruits seeing what was done with the team this year with virtually no seniors (who would have been recruited under VG), and 3 transfer players does not a team make. Hatcher had to rebuild the program from scratch after the 2007 season, and GSU didn't give him the chance to do it. Instead, Monken won with Hatcher's players.

But I must be wrong because I'm not a GSU fan.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
So all this was Furman's fault. I hate purple

Only Furman can raise losing to an art form (and, I guess, the New York Giants). Not many teams can blow an 11 point lead midway through the fourth quarter. :)

blueballs
December 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Funny you say that Hatcher had terrible recruits seeing what was done with the team this year with virtually no seniors (who would have been recruited under VG), and 3 transfer players does not a team make. Hatcher had to rebuild the program from scratch after the 2007 season, and GSU didn't give him the chance to do it. Instead, Monken won with Hatcher's players.

Vanrichardcranium gave Georgia Southern the seagull treatment... he flew in, made a lot of noise, shat all over everything, and then flew away. He broke the system and he broke the kids mentally and spiritually.

Hatcher did as good a job as he could given what he inherited. He went "all in" with his 2008 recruiting class and crapped out when some really impressive athletes weren't able to stay in the program for a myriad of reasons. Hatcher had to start over twice and his 2009 team showed it. He was hamstrung by the now former university president in recruiting (self imposed academic requirements higher than Vanderbilt) and lack of upper classmen.

All of this of course lies at the feet of two men, Bruce Grub(e) and Sam "Ax man" Baker. Grub retired and baker needs to be canned yesterday.

Hatcher loved GSU and did the best he could but as T-Dawg correctly noted, he was shat upon by the higher ups. Hatcher is better off at MSU and I hope he does well, he is good folks, and GSU FINALLY has the right man in Monken. Now if they'd just s--tcan Baker...

parr90
December 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Sure most of them were Hatchers players but its a totaly different story when you ask them to play in a system that they arent used to playing in. Hatcher recruited some decent talent but it wasnt like we have had in the past and they werent suited for playing in this offense. Monken has to be given credit for getting the most out of these guys considering. I love how folks talk about the last time we won a NC, not you but others, 10 years aint a long time considering what the program has been through. Folks dont seem to remember either that the 6 NC's were won after starting a team 28 years ago. I see us winning # 7 and 8 before 2016. I dont think many programs can be so confident to think that way.

T-Dawg95
December 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Vanrichardcranium gave Georgia Southern the seagull treatment... he flew in, made a lot of noise, shat all over everything, and then flew away. He broke the system and he broke the kids mentally and spiritually.

Hatcher did as good a job as he could given what he inherited. He went "all in" with his 2008 recruiting class and crapped out when some really impressive athletes weren't able to stay in the program for a myriad of reasons. Hatcher had to start over twice and his 2009 team showed it. He was hamstrung by the now former university president in recruiting (self imposed academic requirements higher than Vanderbilt) and lack of upper classmen.

All of this of course lies at the feet of two men, Bruce Grub(e) and Sam "Ax man" Baker. Grub retired and baker needs to be canned yesterday.

Hatcher loved GSU and did the best he could but as T-Dawg correctly noted, he was shat upon by the higher ups. Hatcher is better off at MSU and I hope he does well, he is good folks, and GSU FINALLY has the right man in Monken. Now if they'd just s--tcan Baker...

Exactly.

Any GSU player who went through the 2006-2008 years will testify to exactly that. Though, I doubt GSU will win an NC by 2016. SoCon is a different beast since you last won the NC. That, and FCS football is a different monster to navigate as well. I would assert GSU was lucky to make it as far as they did, and while they have all their youth returning, I will take an older team with less talent than a younger team with more talent any day of the week. They'll do well, but I expect a 2nd year let down when compared to this year.

GSU EAGLES
December 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I see us winning # 7 and 8 before 2016. I dont think many programs can be so confident to think that way.

Hopefully we will be FBS by then

Reign of Terrier
December 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hopefully we will be FBS by then:pumpuke:xthumbsdownx

seantaylor
December 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Never said Hatcher had terrible recruits. GSU sells itself, though. Hatcher's problem was developing players. Nobody got better as their career went on under Hatcher. Again, that goes back to the staff as well. But, Hatcher was in over his head, and his offense will never work in D1.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM
Never said Hatcher had terrible recruits. GSU sells itself, though. Hatcher's problem was developing players. Nobody got better as their career went on under Hatcher. Again, that goes back to the staff as well. But, Hatcher was in over his head, and his offense will never work in D1.

The offense most certainly works in Division 1. Mike Leach ran the same offense at Valdosta, then Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech. I'm not convinced it wouldn't have worked at Georgia Southern either.

Twentysix
December 21st, 2010, 05:58 AM

Shouldnt of pooned out, i would of loved to see your team get stomped in fargo.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2010, 07:58 AM
Exactly.

Any GSU player who went through the 2006-2008 years will testify to exactly that. Though, I doubt GSU will win an NC by 2016. SoCon is a different beast since you last won the NC. That, and FCS football is a different monster to navigate as well. I would assert GSU was lucky to make it as far as they did, and while they have all their youth returning, I will take an older team with less talent than a younger team with more talent any day of the week. They'll do well, but I expect a 2nd year let down when compared to this year.

I can agree with you. The team did make the semis, but they were also 7-4 in the regular season. In every year but this one, that doesn't get you in the playoffs, much less to the semis. They are to be commended for coming a long way in a year, but they didn't take the SoCon by storm. There are still plenty of good teams that will compete for the title in 2011.

GaSouthern
December 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
But, Hatcher was in over his head, and his offense will never work in D1.

This is dumb, it is working in D1 now.

blueballs
December 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I can agree with you. The team did make the semis, but they were also 7-4 in the regular season. In every year but this one, that doesn't get you in the playoffs, much less to the semis. They are to be commended for coming a long way in a year, but they didn't take the SoCon by storm. There are still plenty of good teams that will compete for the title in 2011.

That wasn't a "7-4 team" that played the last seven games if you catch my drift... the team got better and grew as the season progressed and played at a very high level. That's one of the many reasons why the FCS format is better, if a team loses tough games while growing and improving it doesn't kill their season and they still have a chance to achieve their goals.

I can give you another great example of that. After GSU's 1999 15-0-0 season Erk Russell retired and the team suffered heavy losses along the o-line. They got off to a very unimpressive 1-3 start before rolling off 11 in a row to win the NC. That wouldn't happen in FBS, that group of champions would have been playing in the "Who gives a rat's azz" bowl and never been allowed to fulfill their potential.

That's why FCS is wonderful!!!!!

Eaglesrus
December 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Exactly.

Obvious point here being that next year we will be older with basically the same talent.

Baldy
December 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Shouldnt of pooned out, i would of loved to see your team get stomped in fargo.
I was looking forward to our trip to Fargo and was also looking forward to watching the Eagles run the Buffaloes out of your own airplane hangar. However, we needed a 6th home game much worse. Spend your $60,000 buyout wisely and pray your team is fortunate enough to make the playoff again next season. We would love to have you guys come down for another visit. xnodx

UncleSam
December 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Glad to see GSU back, next year the Eagles will surely replace those ASU interlopers as the rightful kingpin of the SoCon.

elon77
December 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Where have you been? I didn't realize you had been gone.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Since 2006, we've been pretending to be something else. Now, the Erk Russell coaching tree is back and we're starting to play Ga Southern football.

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
UD's OL had their way with GSU most of the day. You had to notice that. No sacks and 180+ yards rushing to a freshman? They didn't match up well at all in their DL, and the 40+ lbs/man they gave up was eventually the story of the game. ESPNU is going to replay the game. Watch it.

UD had three takeaways and GSU had two giveaways... eliminate the giveaways, GSU still loses.

As I said, I thought Delaware had a bit of an advantage in terms of size on the line of scrimmage. When I said they matched up athletically I was talking about overall. Each team had advantages. Georgia Southern's advantage, I think, was speed and athleticism. In the end Delware ended up with 316 total yards and Georgia southern with 310. But GSU had 5 turnovers to Delaware's 0. They did things like run right down the field on their opening drive only to commit a totally unforced fumble when they were just outside the goal line. My recollection is they turned it over twice more when they'd driven into the red zone or at least close to it.

That, of course, was the big difference in the game. There was no doubt, to me, that they were physiclaly capable of playing with Delaware pretty much even Steven. They just needed to do a better job of protecting the football.

UncleSam
December 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM
There was no doubt, to me, that they were physiclaly capable of playing with Delaware pretty much even Steven. They just needed to do a better job of protecting the football.

GSU had inital success in their 1st series rushing for 70 quick yrds before turning it over, that drive and one 50+ yrd run in the 3rd quarter accounted for nearly half of GSU's 257 yrds on the ground. UD's defense did a very good job of adjusting after the 1st GSU possession and as the game wore on the UD running game grew stronger while GSU's was less effective. Evidence of that was UD didn't even throw a pass in the 4th quarter as they were able to answer back quickly, all on the ground with a TD, after GSU scored to cut the the score to 17-10. Turnovers hurt GSU, but a couple of those were forced by the UD defense, meanwhile GSU couldn't put any pressure on Devlin or stop the UD running game in the 2d half. As a result, the stronger and better team won.

cowboy91
December 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I do find it funny how when Delaware is on the verge of closing in on more titles than GSU, then all of a sudden those championships simply don't count.

Then again there are some people that don't realize they lost the Civil War.

Reign of Terrier
December 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I do find it funny how when Delaware is on the verge of closing in on more titles than GSU, then all of a sudden those championships simply don't count.

they aren't on the same level because they were awarded not won on the field like all 6 of GSU's titles were

eaglesrthe1
December 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM

You think they didn't count recently? They didn't count like in forever. Not around here.

Might as well crown Mount Union the best ever. We're all irrelevant.

cowboy91
December 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
They only count when it's a GSU title.

Don't care what level when you're still talking about the quality of a football program. If GSU moves up those titles just go away? No.

GSU EAGLES
December 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Am I missing something here? From what I can tell, Delaware has one title.....and you are saying they are closing in on Ga Southern? Too much egg nog tonight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

ncguitarplyr
December 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Delaware has won a bunch of national championships, not all of them D1 though

1946 Bill Murray 10-0 AP College Division National Champions
1963 David Nelson 8-0 UPI College Division National Champions
1971 Tubby Raymond 10-1 AP & UPI College Division National Champions
1972 Tubby Raymond 10-0 AP & UPI College Division National Champions
1979 Tubby Raymond 13-1 NCAA Division II National Champions
2003 K. C. Keeler 15-1 NCAA Division I-AA National Champions

cowboy91
December 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
So I guess Marshall has zero national championships in program history then, right?

It's not the same, but it's not as if somehow they "don't count".

Reign of Terrier
December 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM
So I guess Marshall has zero national championships in program history then, right?

sigh. I said it once and I'll say it again. Delaware was awarded most of it's national titles. Marshall, GSU, etc. won their titles on the field. Delaware didn't

eaglesrthe1
December 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
They only count when it's a GSU title.

Don't care what level when you're still talking about the quality of a football program. If GSU moves up those titles just go away? No.

You should look upon the titles with pride. Jeff Gordon looks fondly back on all the championships he won racing go-carts. He just doesn't bring them up in a conversation with Jimmie Johnson.

But you go ahead, it's good for a laugh.

GSU EAGLES
December 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM

If you are talking division 2 championships, then you state division 2. If we move up to FBS, it wouldn't make sense to claim them as if they were FBS national championships. Otherwise, as someone stated above Grand Valley has everyone beat.

GATA
December 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
That wasn't a "7-4 team" that played the last seven games if you catch my drift... the team got better and grew as the season progressed and played at a very high level. That's one of the many reasons why the FCS format is better, if a team loses tough games while growing and improving it doesn't kill their season and they still have a chance to achieve their goals.

I can give you another great example of that. After GSU's 1999 15-0-0 season Erk Russell retired and the team suffered heavy losses along the o-line. They got off to a very unimpressive 1-3 start before rolling off 11 in a row to win the NC. That wouldn't happen in FBS, that group of champions would have been playing in the "Who gives a rat's azz" bowl and never been allowed to fulfill their potential.

That's why FCS is wonderful!!!!!

You're wrong.

blukeys
December 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
sigh. I said it once and I'll say it again. Delaware was awarded most of it's national titles. Marshall, GSU, etc. won their titles on the field. Delaware didn't

So Miami, Clemson, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. have never won a NC.

There were no playoffs of any sort prior to 1973 and no I-AA before 1978. The 1978 I-AA category was so small that the playoffs consisted of only 4 teams.

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
So Miami, Clemson, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. have never won a NC.

There were no playoffs of any sort prior to 1973 and no I-AA before 1978. The 1978 I-AA category was so small that the playoffs consisted of only 4 teams.

I'm just giving explanation as to why those national championships aren't seen as on-par as Georgia Southern's National Championships. The significance of a national title in a lower division is diminished when a team moves to a higher division. It's even less significant when it was "awarded" as opposed to won on a field. Playoffs beat all. GSU's 6 playoff 1-AA NCs are more significant than Delaware's awarded D2 National titles in terms of FCS significance

blueballs
December 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
You're wrong.

Please explain why...

blukeys
December 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
e
I'm just giving explanation as to why those national championships aren't seen as on-par as Georgia Southern's National Championships. The significance of a national title in a lower division is diminished when a team moves to a higher division. It's even less significant when it was "awarded" as opposed to won on a field. Playoffs beat all. GSU's 6 playoff 1-AA NCs are more significant than Delaware's awarded D2 National titles in terms of FCS significance

You obviously can't read.

Would you care to explain to a lineman of the 1971 UD team why his NC accomplishment does not count??? I have several who would love to meet you and hear your explanation and then take you out back and deliver the treatment UD delivered to Wofford in 2003.

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM
e

You obviously can't read.

Would you care to explain to a lineman of the 1971 UD team why his NC accomplishment does not count??? I have several who would love to meet you and hear your explanation and then take you out back and deliver the treatment UD delivered to Wofford in 2003.

suck it up cupcake, I never said it didn't count rather it's not as significant. If you and others want to get your panties in a bunch over what some guy on the internet says about a team's accomplishments you probably have more issues than just a bloated since on accomplishment.

seantaylor
December 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
hahah. No FBS team has ever won a NC according to the NCAA. Delaware's D2 NC's are just as garbage. Are u rubes really trying to claim this?

pitpen
December 25th, 2010, 11:02 PM
hahah. No FBS team has ever won a NC according to the NCAA. Delaware's D2 NC's are just as garbage. Are u rubes really trying to claim this?

Some are. I'm surprised more aren't arguing that Delaware's championships were significantly better than GSU's given their consistent wins over higher division teams during those years.

I'm cool reveling in AP's personal track meet during this past Saturday's second half.

superman7515
December 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I never said it didn't count rather it's not as significant.

Just throwing this out there...

Delaware's 1946 National Championship team in the AP Poll - 19 (out of 300+ teams in the nation playing football)
Georgia Southern - "Never Ranked in the Major College Final Polls"

blueballs
December 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Just throwing this out there...

Delaware's 1946 National Championship team in the AP Poll - 19 (out of 300+ teams in the nation playing football)
Georgia Southern - "Never Ranked in the Major College Final Polls"

Are you sure there were 300+ schools playing college football less than 12 months after the end of WW2???????

superman7515
December 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Are you sure there were 300+ schools playing college football less than 12 months after the end of WW2???????

Yes. Most schools that stopped their football programs during this period only stopped for a season or two between 1943 and 1945. Even Army never dropped their team during WW2. I can list them all if need be, but I'd prefer not to.

blueballs
December 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yes. Most schools that stopped their football programs during this period only stopped for a season or two between 1943 and 1945. Even Army never dropped their team during WW2. I can list them all if need be, but I'd prefer not to.

Please don't!!!! I believe you!

blukeys
December 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
suck it up cupcake, I never said it didn't count rather it's not as significant. If you and others want to get your panties in a bunch over what some guy on the internet says about a team's accomplishments you probably have more issues than just a bloated since on accomplishment.

I will never get upset by what you post. Shutting down Wofford is never on the list of UD priorities. Your team is a non issue.

UncleSam
December 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
The fact is that Delaware is the only CURRENT FCS power that was very good back then and is still very good now. No other FCS program has maintained any degree of dominance similar to UD's over an extented period of time. ASU has been a power for about 10 yrs at best, Montana about 15+ yrs, YSU was for less than 10. GSU is the closest, having an outstanding program over a 20+ yr period, but that pales to UD's 60+ yrs of outstanding football. To deny that fact is to deny reality. To demean that accomplishment only demonstrates ones ignorance.

Reign of Terrier
December 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I will never get upset by what you post. Shutting down Wofford is never on the list of UD priorities. Your team is a non issue.
clearly you do, afterall you somewhat threatened to get 57 year old or older people to "meet" with me. I have no idea what that was about. You're clearly losing your cool considering you've gotten off subject and are currently talking (weak) smack about my team, which had nothing to do with this thread or any subject discussed in this thread, while not acknowledging my initial post. As for Uncle Sam's comment, he's spot on, GSU has an extremely rich condition considering their program has really only been in existence since 1982(?). They've won 6 national championships in 28 years including numerous trips to the playoffs. At one point in 2000, 6 of the 22 championships in the then 1-AA were won by GSU, that's more than 1 in every 4 championships. Those numbers speak for themselves, as for FCS programs GSU is clearly at the top IMO.

Saint3333
December 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
The fact is that Delaware is the only CURRENT FCS power that was very good back then and is still very good now. No other FCS program has maintained any degree of dominance similar to UD's over an extented period of time. ASU has been a power for about 10 yrs at best, Montana about 15+ yrs, YSU was for less than 10. GSU is the closest, having an outstanding program over a 20+ yr period, but that pales to UD's 60+ yrs of outstanding football. To deny that fact is to deny reality. To demean that accomplishment only demonstrates ones ignorance.

I'd like you to compare UD to ASU from 1985-2000, you may be surprised.

superman7515
December 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'd like you to compare UD to ASU from 1985-2000, you may be surprised.

He said 60+ years. That's only 16.

Reign of Terrier
December 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM

I think his point is that Delaware has been competitive year-in and year-out for about 60 years, but unable to win an extreme amount of championships. App State was the same way from 85-00

blukeys
December 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
clearly you do, afterall you somewhat threatened to get 57 year old or older people to "have a talk" with me. I have no idea what that was about. You're clearly losing your cool considering you've gotten off subject and are currently talking (weak) smack about my team, which had nothing to do with this thread or any subject discussed in this thread, while not acknowledging my initial post. As for Uncle Sam's comment, he's spot on, GSU has an extremely rich condition considering their program has really only been in existence since 1982(?). They've won 6 national championships in 28 years including numerous trips to the playoffs. At one point in 2000, 6 of the 22 championships in the then 1-AA were won by GSU, that's more than 1 in every 4 championships. Those numbers speak for themselves, as for FCS programs GSU is clearly at the top IMO.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never asked anyone to have a talk with you. I have no clue who you are.

I know of nothing on this or any other thread that suggests this and I send PM's rarely. This allegation by you is delusional.

When I quote a post I am referring to that post and not another.

Reign of Terrier
December 27th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never asked anyone to have a talk with you. I have no clue who you are.

I know of nothing on this or any other thread that suggests this and I send PM's rarely. This allegation by you is delusional.

When I quote a post I am referring to that post and not another.

I have several who would love to meet you and hear your explanation and then take you out back and deliver the treatment UD delivered to Wofford in 2003.xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx okay I somewhat misquoted by me saying you had people who wanted to "talk to" me but rather you have people who want to "meet me" and that is the same concept. you sir have issues

blukeys
December 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM
xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx okay I somewhat misquoted by me saying you had people who wanted to "talk to" me but rather you have people who want to "meet me" and that is the same concept. you sir have issues

Geez a comment made in jest and you take it to the extreme. You are the one who needs to take the chill pill.

cowboy91
December 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Interesting how much it bothers OTHER teams fans, if Delaware chooses to acknowledge their own accomplishments. I'm sure when a recruit is deciding between schools they say "wait, those titles weren't at this level - I'll only go to a school where the national titles were won in this division". I'll still take the 100+ years of relative success (they've not had back to back losing seasons since the late 1930's)

It's kind of like the turnovers in the game, you can't take them away, even if you refuse to recognize them.

I mean, it's great that GSU has won 6 national titles - it doesn't bother me, but how about in the past decade?

eaglewraith
December 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting how much it bothers OTHER teams fans, if Delaware chooses to acknowledge their own accomplishments. I'm sure when a recruit is deciding between schools they say "wait, those titles weren't at this level - I'll only go to a school where the national titles were won in this division". I'll still take the 100+ years of relative success (they've not had back to back losing seasons since the late 1930's)

It's kind of like the turnovers in the game, you can't take them away, even if you refuse to recognize them.

I mean, it's great that GSU has won 6 national titles - it doesn't bother me, but how about in the past decade?

1, same number as you

cowboy91
December 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I guess I must have missed GSU's appearances in the national title game recently. Can you list the years?

eaglewraith
December 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I guess I must have missed GSU's appearances in the national title game recently. Can you list the years?

Delaware's win was a scant 3 years later in 03.

I wouldn't be too proud of that rape in 2007 though.

superman7515
December 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I know he's going to tell you this anyway, so I'm just saving you from the smarmy response you probably would have gotten...

2000 wasn't in the last decade because there was no year 0. So the decade begins with 2001 and ends with 2010. Which goes back to his previous comment of...

superman7515
December 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
But this brings me to the one thing I hope we can all agree on...

Just beat the GSU wannabe's in Atlanta.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM

So, Delaware is the Flagship University of the state, right? Same goes for Montana, UMass, Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, NDSU, SDSU? The best you can do is sometimes defeat Directional U from other states? I'd like to see what SoCon schools could do with UD's resources.

I'm amazed the former teacher's colleges from around the country are even in the same league as the schools above.

cowboy91
December 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Delaware's win was a scant 3 years later in 03.

I wouldn't be too proud of that rape in 2007 though.

And I wouldn't be too proud of anything post 2005: 5-6, 6-5, 7-4, 3-8.

I think maybe if there's another semifinal run then people can declare Georgia Southern as "being back", though.

Again, I have no issue with chest-thumping by GSU, I think it's great for I-AA football to have them in the spotlight, in fact I hope that they do. I only question why it matters to other team's fans if Delaware talks about the success of their program - no matter the division. It's a discredit to the people that went and out played to say their titles don't matter.

Suppose in 15-20 years, and there's no more I-AA or GSU ends up dropping their program again - those 6 national titles won't count?

UncleSam
December 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
So, Delaware is the Flagship University of the state, right? Same goes for Montana, UMass, Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, NDSU, SDSU? The best you can do is sometimes defeat Directional U from other states? I'd like to see what SoCon schools could do with UD's resources.

I'm amazed the former teacher's colleges from around the country are even in the same league as the schools above.

A full scholarship program is a full scholarship program, lots of schools win with lesser 'resourses' while others lose with more, but just what has that got to do with my below post???

superman7515
December 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
So, Delaware is the Flagship University of the state, right?

No. Flagship universities are usually defined as those public universities established under the Morrill Act. UD is privately chartered and established 100 years before the Morrill Act. That would make Delaware State the flagship university as it is both public and established under the Morrill Act.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Ya, the state of New Hampshire invests soooooooooooooooo much money in UNH's football program. That's one you may want to look into.

Saint3333
December 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Unclesam claimed ASU has only been a top FCS program for the past 10 years, which isn't true, from 1985-2000 ASU was as good if not a better program than UD.

UncleSam
December 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Unclesam claimed ASU has only been a top FCS program for the past 10 years, which isn't true, from 1985-2000 ASU was as good if not a better program than UD.

Maybe ASU was or wasn't the equal of Delaware during the '85-2000 years, but my point was really about UD's long history of excellence, not ASU's relatively recent success, but if you really want to cherry pick a block of years from both schools history, how about we use the 15 years prior to 1985;

1970-'85

ASU - 75-83-4
Delaware - 136-40-3

now maybe you can better understand my point that Delaware has maintained excellence over a very long period of time.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Maybe ASU was or wasn't the equal of Delaware during the '85-2000 years, but my point was really about UD's long history of excellence, not ASU's relatively recent success, but if you really want to cherry pick a block of years from both schools history, how about we use the 15 years prior to 1985;

1970-'85

ASU - 75-83-4
Delaware - 136-40-3

now maybe you can better understand my point that Delaware has maintained excellence over a very long period of time.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_iaa_winning_pct.php

I-AA All-time winning percentage. Appy #8, Ga Southern #9, UD # 19 - now maybe you understand why we're not all that impressed, but yeah, nice job.

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM

I-AA All-time winning percentage. Appy #8, Ga Southern #9, UD # 19 - now maybe you understand why we're not all that impressed, but yeah, nice job.

Not really an equal representation considering games played...
UD #15
Appy #57
GSU #99

gophoenix
December 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Not to be picky, but, Shouldn't App's breakdown be based on D-I wins, not total wins?

cannonballgsu
December 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
UD #15
Appy #57
GSU #99

Where do you get these numbers?

Based on Winning Percentage:

Appalachian St. - .63549
Georgia Southern - .63524
Delaware - .60439

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Where do you get these numbers?

Based on Winning Percentage:

Appalachian St. - .63549
Georgia Southern - .63524
Delaware - .60439

He's saying not really a fair comparison seeing as how UD has played many more games. If you stretched App/GSU games played out to equal UD's, you might see the numbers for winning percentage converge.

cannonballgsu
December 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
So is he making theoretical scenarios to project the wins/losses with the same amount of games, or is he picking the wins/losses from Delaware and comparing them to the other two?

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I know he's going to tell you this anyway, so I'm just saving you from the smarmy response you probably would have gotten...

2000 wasn't in the last decade because there was no year 0. So the decade begins with 2001 and ends with 2010. Which goes back to his previous comment of...

2000 was definitely in the past decade.

Decade = 10 years.

By replacement we get this: 2000 was definitely in the past 10 years.

Since I'm from GSU I'm supposedly a dumb redneck and even I understand that.

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
So is he making theoretical scenarios to project the wins/losses with the same amount of games, or is he picking the wins/losses from Delaware and comparing them to the other two?

I understand his point, and it's a fair one.

However, the numbers are still right.

For a young program we've whooped *** and took names. That's all I really care about.

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM
.[/QUOTE]
2000 was definitely in the past decade.

Decade = 10 years.

By replacement we get this: 2000 was definitely in the past 10 years.

Since I'm from GSU I'm supposedly a dumb redneck and even I understand that.

i challenge you to start counting by ones at 2000 and tell me if you had to use your toes when you got to 2010?

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM
i challenge you to start counting by ones at 2000 and tell me if you had to use your toes when you got to 2010?

1: 2000-2001
2: 2001-2002
3: 2002-2003
4: 2003-2004
5: 2004-2005
6: 2005-2006
7: 2006-2007
8: 2007-2008
9: 2008-2009
10: 2009-2010

Yep, seems like there's been 10 years.

I will be honest in saying that it's more like 10 years and ~1 week since our last championship, but for the sake of this argument my point still stands.

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I'm saying you'd have to use GSU's number of games played, since it's the smallest, and compare that to App St & Delaware through the same number of games played because you can't project how the teams will play in the future. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just that to keep the comparison equal you have to compare an equal number.

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
1: 2000-2001
2: 2001-2002
3: 2002-2003
4: 2003-2004
5: 2004-2005
6: 2005-2006
7: 2006-2007
8: 2007-2008
9: 2008-2009
10: 2009-2010

Yep, seems like there's been 10 years.

I will be honest in saying that it's more like 10 years and ~1 week since our last championship, but for the sake of this argument my point still stands.

Umm.... yeah... you didn't "count by ones"...

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Umm.... yeah... you didn't "count by ones"...

Jan 1 - Jan 1 is one year.

In this case we're talking about a date in Dec...so Dec to Dec is 1 year. So yea, you start Dec 2000 and count forward by one for each year that passed, which is what I did, and you end up in 2010. The starting date does not count as 1, that's asinine. You count the passage of 1 year as a 1.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
UD #15
Appy #57
GSU #99

1984 was GSU's first I-AA season, 1982 for Appy and 1980 for UD.

From 1984-2010:

UD - 221-108 - 67% 22-13 playoffs (1982-2010) 1 NC, maybe 2nd this year.
Appy - 237-98 - 70% 26-16 playoffs (1984-2010) 3 NC
GSU - 253-96 - 72% 41-11 playoffs (1984-2010) 6 NC

That's 26 years. I'd say the three are top notch programs with winning traditions and leave it at that.

Reign of Terrier
December 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
GSU, App, Montana, Delaware, Youngstown (though they are a program in recession) are probably the top 5 programs with history in the FCS, that are still in the FCS

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Jan 1 - Jan 1 is one year.

In this case we're talking about a date in Dec...so Dec to Dec is 1 year. So yea, you start Dec 2000 and count forward by one for each year that passed, which is what I did, and you end up in 2010. The starting date does not count as 1, that's asinine. You count the passage of 1 year as a 1.

Jan 1 - Jan 1 is not one year. That's one year and one day. Jan 1 - Dec 31 is one year. 365 days, except leap years. If you want to continue with semantics in your attempt to incorrectly equate sports seasons to calendar years, then I'll play along. The point being, there was no year 0, so 2000 was the last year of the decade beginning on January 1, 1991. This year (2010) is the last year of the decade beginning on January 1, 2001.

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM
1984 was GSU's first I-AA season, 1982 for Appy and 1980 for UD.

From 1984-2010:

UD - 221-108 - 67% 22-13 playoffs (1982-2010) 1 NC, maybe 2nd this year.
Appy - 237-98 - 70% 26-16 playoffs (1984-2010) 3 NC
GSU - 253-96 - 72% 41-11 playoffs (1984-2010) 6 NC

That's 26 years. I'd say the three are top notch programs with winning traditions and leave it at that.

That's a better representation, comparing apples to apples.

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Jan 1 - Jan 1 is not one year. That's one year and one day. Jan 1 - Dec 31 is one year. 365 days, except leap years. If you want to continue with semantics in your attempt to incorrectly equate sports seasons to calendar years, then I'll play along. The point being, there was no year 0, so 2000 was the last year of the decade beginning on January 1, 1991. This year (2010) is the last year of the decade beginning on January 1, 2001.

So by your logic I'm one year older one day earlier than my actual birthday, but it changes every year since the day before is always 365 days before that day. So our birthdays should never be on the same day, we would have to celebrate one day earlier every year for the rest of time, gotcha.

cowboy91
December 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Okay, so, basically I'm of the opinion GSU isn't fully "back" yet. Another year or two making the playoffs, then okay.

eaglewraith
December 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM

In any case, the phrasing was "in the past decade." Once again a decade is 10 years. So if you go back 10 years from now, then you end up with Dec 28, 2000 (or in your case: Dec 29, 2000). That puts our last championship at 10 years and ~1-2 weeks. So my response to the way he framed his statement was correct, although we're slightly out of the 10 year mark but it's close enough in any case.

You can argue that this is the ending of a decade, which is correct. But if someone says the past decade, I think the last 10 years, as in the past 10 years from right now, as do lots of regular people. I don't sit here and bother to think of when the beginning/ending of a "proper" decade is.

superman7515
December 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
So by your logic I'm one year older one day earlier than my actual birthday, but it changes every year since the day before is always 365 days before that day. So our birthdays should never be on the same day, we would have to celebrate one day earlier every year for the rest of time, gotcha.

Unless you're from some parts of Mexico, in which case you celebrate two birthdays a year, one for the day you were born and one for the day you were conceived, in which case maybe you're twice the age you think you are.

Saint3333
December 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM

1970-'85

ASU - 75-83-4
Delaware - 136-40-3

Fine with me - UD was a better program when they were in D2 and before I was born, congrats, and ASU has been the better program at the FCS level. I can live with that.

Eaglesrus
December 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
You can argue that this is the ending of a decade, which is correct.

Fine with me - UD was a better program when they were in D2 and before I was born, congrats, and ASU has been the better program at the FCS level. I can live with that.

Well, here it is December 28th and the Christmas spirit is finally showing up, what with everyone starting to be agreeable and all.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Okay, so, basically I'm of the opinion GSU isn't fully "back" yet. Another year or two making the playoffs, then okay.

I'm not going to disagree with this assessment, though I think by "back", the OP was referring to GSU Option Football. We're back to being Ga Southern and this year would've felt that way had the season ended 7-4 at Furman. The playoffs were gravy.

seantaylor
December 29th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Can someone please explain to me how GSU isn't back? A first year coach installing a new system both offensively and defensively. We win 3 post season games, 2 on the road, and were cost a possible championship by our AD by having to go on the road 3 games in a row. We lose 1 starter that played against Delaware. Our second best defensive player didn't play since the WCU game. He'll be back next year. Another year of stellar recruiting by Monken.

UncleSam
December 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
GSU may be the favorite to win it all next year, but remember the Dallas Cowboys were were the overwelming favorites in the NFC this year and we all know how that turned out. That being said, I agree that GSU is back, just how far back will be determined in the next couple of seasons.

cannonballgsu
December 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I think everyone is reading too much into this post and interpreting it as GSU is back and going to stomp everyone.

When we say GSU is "back", we mean that GSU is playing good competetive football again which will pose threats to the teams on its schedule. GSU has a chance at making a good run in the playoffs again and possibly making a NC appearance. There is enthusiasm surrounding the program and it has a LOT of potential returning many starters.

GSU is back from football ruins and back to its tradition of Option football.

henfan
December 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Put me in the 'GSU is back' camp... and FCS football is better for it!

cougarpines
December 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Put me in the 'GSU is back' camp... and FCS football is better for it!

Couldn't agree more

Rekdiver
December 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You had a good year, had a great defense but 1 year does not make a comeback....Just the Carolina Panthers who have never had back to back playoff seasons....
Plus you get payback in Boone in 2011.

parr90
December 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM

No demeaning here but GSU has only had a football team for 30 years so percentage wise no one else is even close, not even close.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
No demeaning here but GSU has only had a football team for 30 years so percentage wise no one else is even close, not even close.

GaSou has undeniably been a powerhouse at the FCS level, and I'm excited that they are coming back into their own. Delaware, Montana, GaSou, Appy, and Youngstown (though they seem to be taking a breather at the moment) all have claims to being perennially top performing teams, so I don't see the point in having a schwartz measuring contest - we can all just agree that all of these programs are the benchmarks at the FCS level.

seantaylor
December 30th, 2010, 01:32 AM
GaSou has undeniably been a powerhouse at the FCS level, and I'm excited that they are coming back into their own. Delaware, Montana, GaSou, Appy, and Youngstown (though they seem to be taking a breather at the moment) all have claims to being perennially top performing teams, so I don't see the point in having a schwartz measuring contest - we can all just agree that all of these programs are the benchmarks at the FCS level.

Umm, no. None of those teams has an even minute claim. GSU with 6 NC's in 26 years trumps all.

cowboy91
December 30th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Umm, no. None of those teams has an even minute claim. GSU with 6 NC's in 26 years trumps all.

And yet 0 in the past 10 years.

Rekdiver
December 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Get over yourself.......I'd say a program that HAD won 6 and has not even been in the playoffs in recent memory and hadn't won anything is 10 years needs to measure its comments. You are not an elite program at the moment and it will take several years of results like this year to mean anything.

caribbeanhen
December 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM

So what your saying in the big picture is that Appy is a Johnnycomelately?

blueballs
December 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
As long as Jeff Monken remains the HC at GSU they will run the option, be disciplined, play hard and fast, and be tough to deal with. There is no reason other than injury that GSU should ever not be a playoff team.

However, as long as Sam Baker is the AD, nothing successful is guaranteed. That guy could f-up a wet dream.

Saint3333
December 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
So what your saying in the big picture is that Appy is a Johnnycomelately?

Yeah a 25 year johnnycomelately, you must be old.

GaSouthern
December 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
And yet 0 in the past 10 years.

We won in 2000???

The Eagle's Cliff
December 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Get over yourself.......I'd say a program that HAD won 6 and has not even been in the playoffs in recent memory and hadn't won anything is 10 years needs to measure its comments. You are not an elite program at the moment and it will take several years of results like this year to mean anything.

LOL. You must've just started going to App games in 2006 or 2007. I remember in 2007 asking some App fans near the Port-o-potties "Where've you been?" I've been going to Boone for years and it's only in the past 4 that they've been anywhere near the top. Counting 14,000 students as butts in the seats before the game even starts helps inflate attendance numbers and apparently erase the memory of being an also-ran your entire history before 2006. Has Appy really been that good or hasn't it helped that GSU and Furman have been that bad?

Let's see your fan base stick with the program when you have a few down years, which are coming btw. It was awesome to see the students rush the field following our victory over App this year, but I'll never forget App actually tearing down their goalpost and ramming into the GSU bus in Boone in '99. App has a great program, but you guys act like it's always been that way when, in fact, you're the new kid on the block.

mrklean
December 30th, 2010, 08:35 PM
LOL. You must've just started going to App games in 2006 or 2007. I remember in 2007 asking some App fans near the Port-o-potties "Where've you been?" I've been going to Boone for years and it's only in the past 4 that they've been anywhere near the top. Counting 14,000 students as butts in the seats before the game even starts helps inflate attendance numbers and apparently erase the memory of being an also-ran your entire history before 2006. Has Appy really been that good or hasn't it helped that GSU and Furman have been that bad?

Let's see your fan base stick with the program when you have a few down years, which are coming btw. It was awesome to see the students rush the field following our victory over App this year, but I'll never forget App actually tearing down their goalpost and ramming into the GSU bus in Boone in '99. App has a great program, but you guys act like it's always been that way when, in fact, you're the new kid on the block.

GATA!

msupigskin
December 31st, 2010, 04:26 AM
I've read this thread with great interest. All I can say is the fans at Murray State are thrilled by the decision by the GSU admins to dismiss Hatcher. He is a class act and already has things heading in the right direction at MSU. Not once has he badmouthed GSU. In fact, he told the press he was rooting for his former players and GSU this year in the playoffs. Looks to me like those were primarily his recruits. When Hatcher was hired fans here had to go back and read the message boards at GSU to get the nasty part of the GSU story. I remember reading very few GSU fans were fond of the Prez or AD. Yep, the triple option scheme is revered and king at GSU, no doubt - it is bigger than any coach could ever be. We'll happily continue to roll with the Hatch Attack at MSU.

While we can't boast of national championships at Murray, we do have a long string of successful coaches. Gottfried, Beamer, Nutt, Friedgen, Zook, to name a few. Most here expect Chris Hatcher will add to that legacy here with bigger things ahead down the road.

Good luck to all of your programs next season. Keep an eye on the Racers next year. MSU is loaded too and returns virtually all of one of the nation's top offenses. If we can beef up the defense, it's possible that Murray St will be a factor in the playoff mix too. If that happens the Hatcher-haters on here will contend that he and his staff had nothing to do with it. Some perspectives just can't be changed. Happy New Year to all!

Eaglesrus
December 31st, 2010, 05:59 AM
I've read this thread with great interest. All I can say is the fans at Murray State are thrilled by the decision by the GSU admins to dismiss Hatcher. He is a class act and already has things heading in the right direction at MSU. Not once has he badmouthed GSU. In fact, he told the press he was rooting for his former players and GSU this year in the playoffs. Looks to me like those were primarily his recruits. When Hatcher was hired fans here had to go back and read the message boards at GSU to get the nasty part of the GSU story. I remember reading very few GSU fans were fond of the Prez or AD. Yep, the triple option scheme is revered and king at GSU, no doubt - it is bigger than any coach could ever be. We'll happily continue to roll with the Hatch Attack at MSU.

While we can't boast of national championships at Murray, we do have a long string of successful coaches. Gottfried, Beamer, Nutt, Friedgen, Zook, to name a few. Most here expect Chris Hatcher will add to that legacy here with bigger things ahead down the road.

Good luck to all of your programs next season. Keep an eye on the Racers next year. MSU is loaded too and returns virtually all of one of the nation's top offenses. If we can beef up the defense, it's possible that Murray St will be a factor in the playoff mix too. If that happens the Hatcher-haters on here will contend that he and his staff had nothing to do with it. Some perspectives just can't be changed. Happy New Year to all!

Welcome to the board msupigskin. Having read GSUfans.com I'm sure that you know that the majority of GSU fans had a problem with how Hatcher was treated and wish him well at Murray State. I think that you're right about the triple option just being what our program is all about. Good luck to you guys, as well.

Saint3333
December 31st, 2010, 07:25 AM

You don't have a clue do you? Between 1986 and 2002 ASU made the playoffs 12 times and the semifinals twice. Please find 10 FCS programs with that kind of success during that time. People that believe ASU is a new FCS power need a history lesson. ASU has had one losing season in the past 25 years. With the facilities and tradition ASU has a down year will be 7-4 as long as we stay FCS. The 2005-2007 ASU teams didn't win because GSU and Furman were down they won because they were the best teams in the nations and that 2006 team I'd put up against any FCS, that defense was amazing.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah a 25 year johnnycomelately, you must be old.

old enough to remember what Reagan told Mondale in 84 Buckaroo... same applies to you

The Eagle's Cliff
December 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM
You don't have a clue do you? Between 1986 and 2002 ASU made the playoffs 12 times and the semifinals twice. Please find 10 FCS programs with that kind of success during that time. People that believe ASU is a new FCS power need a history lesson. ASU has had one losing season in the past 25 years. With the facilities and tradition ASU has a down year will be 7-4 as long as we stay FCS. The 2005-2007 ASU teams didn't win because GSU and Furman were down they won because they were the best teams in the nations and that 2006 team I'd put up against any FCS, that defense was amazing.

I know you've been around a long time. Yeah, App was a perennial playoff team that couldn't quite get over the hump. Changing the offense and getting more about speed and less about size changed everything for App, even though Yosef Nation was calling for Moore's head at the end of '05. I have a lot of respect for App and Furman, but there's a group of App fans that seem to think your history began in 2006.

Speaking of 2006, GSU's worst team (3-8) in the modern era managed to take the Great Apps to Double OT before succumbing. I'm looking forward to my Boone trip in 2011.

Saint3333
December 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
old enough to remember what Reagan told Mondale in 84 Buckaroo... same applies to you

Sorry don't recall, and really don't care.

Saint3333
December 31st, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm looking forward to my Boone trip in 2011.

No sane GSU or ASU fan looks forward to visiting the opponents home field in this series.

AppAlum2003
December 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
xsmhx

This thread is like feeding a Mogwai after midnight...

AppAlum2003
December 31st, 2010, 10:04 AM

Interesting to see all of the GSU fans with join dates of Nov 2010 and Dec 2010... nice that you guys are posting now that your team won a game.

superman7515
December 31st, 2010, 10:19 AM

"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

Saint3333
December 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

I'd like to see CH exploit my knowledge of the FCS. D2 doesn't count at this level. Elon was once a power in NAIA. I can hear Marshall fans brining up 1-AA titles at the FBS level and getting laughed out.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'd like to see CH exploit my knowledge of the FCS. D2 doesn't count at this level. Elon was once a power in NAIA. I can hear Marshall fans brining up 1-AA titles at the FBS level and getting laughed out.

I dont have to exploit your lack knowledge, your doing a good job of it with your own posts... Did you really say don't know and don't care in the same sentence

Reign of Terrier
December 31st, 2010, 04:07 PM
App State was a top 10 FCS power before they won their championships. That fact is true especially if you consider Delaware an FCS power so one would be "full of it" to assume that App State is newbie in terms of being a power

The Eagle's Cliff
December 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Interesting to see all of the GSU fans with join dates of Nov 2010 and Dec 2010... nice that you guys are posting now that your team won a game.

This is my second registration. I'm just setting the record straight for you App Newbies who are getting into a Flagpole measuring contest with a school who has one twice as long as yours.

Reign of Terrier
December 31st, 2010, 04:25 PM
This is my second registration. I'm just setting the record straight for you App Newbies who are getting into a Flagpole measuring contest with a school who has one twice as long as yours.

well when it comes to posting on this site, the GSU fans are now the newbies. You are an epic newb compared the person you are calling a newb. On FCS scene GSU is the number one program but I wouldn't consider ASU "newbies" by any stretch

Horseshoe App
December 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM
well when it comes to posting on this site, the GSU fans are now the newbies. You are an epic newb compared the person you are calling a newb. On FCS scene GSU is the number one program but I wouldn't consider ASU "newbies" by any stretch

Thank you Young Terrier. This is a opinion from someone with no ties to either school. It is true. I respect GSU allot, but some of the fans at GSU try to accuse without merit. App is not a recent flash in the pan. App is the present power in the Southern Conference. Yes, GSU beat us this year, but you still aren't the best in our conference. You got to win our conference before you start throwing so many stones. GSU is much improved, but you are not over the hump yet. THis coming year in the SC should be pretty funxpeacex

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 31st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe the reason that our people don't post on here is because they are too busy looking at the 80+ page Hotties thread over on our boards...

seantaylor
January 1st, 2011, 03:13 AM

Hope you guys like not winning and being a part of the playoffs.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM

"Newbies" refers to the App fans who started showing up after 2005 when Appy managed to (finally) get over the hump and win championships instead of being just another good team. I went to 6 GSU/App games in Boone prior to 2007 and never saw that many people there, nor did I hear them chanting APP-State from one side of the stadium (wonder where they got that ideaxrolleyesx) to the other.

When Marshall left the SoCon, GSU, Furman, and App became the "Big Three" and App was the school who could beat GSU and Furman any given year, but blew it in the playoffs. At the end of the 2004 when GSU beat 'em 54-7 and Western beat 'em, they were calling for Jerry Moore's head and the sky was falling.

At the time we played them in 2005, they were 3-2 and there were the usual 10-12,000 in attendance with lines at the porto-potties. When I went back two years later, there were an additional 10,000 "loyal and longtimexrolleyesx" App fans present and I swear there were 12 Hillbilly Families in the trees on the scoreboard end.

Saint3333
January 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
At the time we played them in 2005, they were 3-2 and there were the usual 10-12,000 in attendance with lines at the porto-potties. When I went back two years later, there were an additional 10,000 "loyal and longtimexrolleyesx" App fans present and I swear there were 12 Hillbilly Families in the trees on the scoreboard end.

This isn't true. For the 2005 regular season ASU averaged 23,200 per game, and 22K+ for the home opener against Coastal. The difference was a change in the AD, communication down the mountain, and changes to the tailgating atmosphere (made by the AD). ASU before this time average 12-16K a year.

ASU then continued to gain local support and support from alums who hadn't been to games in years after the NC runs and of course the Michigan win. Sounds like a GSU fan is bitter they were never able to capitalize on their national championship by increasing attendance and building one of the nicest facilities in the FCS. It is called leadership, something Baker wouldn't know anything about.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
This isn't true. For the 2005 regular season ASU averaged 23,200 per game, and 22K+ for the home opener against Coastal. The difference was a change in the AD, communication down the mountain, and changes to the tailgating atmosphere (made by the AD). ASU before this time average 12-16K a year.

ASU then continued to gain local support and support from alums who hadn't been to games in years after the NC runs and of course the Michigan win. Sounds like a GSU fan is bitter they were never able to capitalize on their national championship by increasing attendance and building one of the nicest facilities in the FCS. It is called leadership, something Baker wouldn't know anything about.

Not bitter at all. I speak highly all the time of how the App fans and alumni stepped up and helped make Appy one of the best programs in college football, definitely a program to learn from. In 2007, I actually had a couple of App fans ask me what conference GSU was in, which is what I've been addressing in this thread. From the time of Ga Southern's first NCAA season in 1984, no team has been more dominant, PERIOD. Ga Southern happened to be down, mostly our own fault, as App ascended. Some of your "newbie" fans were acting like time began in 2005. Those folks have not seen Ga Southern football and still haven't seen it at it's best. See what you can do about the weather in that God forsaken pit you call the Rock and we'll see if we can't give you a game on Black Saturday, October 29. 2009 made up for 2004, but it still feels like we owe you one.

Our "leadership" is another 1,000 page thread on our boards, but GSU's biggest problem has been to generate "True Blue" supporters in a market saturated with "Red and Black". The private people primarily responsible for starting football at Ga Southern College had ties to UGA and a personal affection for Erk. Promoting your basketball program against UNC and Duke is what we face with UGA and to a much lesser extent, Ga Tech in football. Our home side is 1/3 to 1/2 empty on Ga-Fla weekend.

If I'm bitter, it's directed at my own people.

Saint3333
January 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
Got it, no worries.

I'll take our weather vs. the gnats though. Does any other FCS team have a winning record vs. GSU with a minimum of 4 games played?

ud_hens
January 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Got it, no worries.

I'll take our weather vs. the gnats though. Does any other FCS team have a winning record vs. GSU with a minimum of 4 games played?

Delaware, 3-2 v GSU xthumbsupx
Glad to see GSU running the TO again and back in the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
January 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have more than 4 wins at Paulson :D

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Does any other FCS team have a winning record vs. GSU with a minimum of 4 games played?

GSU is of course 11-12-1 vs App, but 4 of those games were in the 1930's which we don't really count. In the modern era, its 10-10.

McNeese is 2-1, Delaware is 3-2, and Marshall was 4-2 before they moved up.

2-2 E. Ky, 3-3 Samfordxoopsx,

We are 101-40 all time vs the current members of the SoCon, but not all of those games were as conference foes.

Another reason why many of us are saying "we're back" is that 21 of our 40 SoCon losses have come since 2005.

T-Dog
January 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
Amazingly enough, GSU is 0-3 vs SoCon member Samford. xeyebrowx They're 3-0 against non-SoCon member Samford though. xnodx