PDA

View Full Version : Tonight all quiet at Finley (Times Free Press)

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
For the past 13 years, Scott Smith has known where he would be and what he would be doing on the third Friday in December. That was either the eve of or, for the past nine years, the day of the NCAA Division I football championship game at Finley Stadium.

Tonight, however, the Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee president said he might go catch a movie. The game no longer is in Chattanooga.

“I guess after 13 years it should feel sort of weird, but for some reason it doesn’t,” said Smith, who served under former Sports Committee president Merrill Eckstein for the first 12 years before taking over last year.

“I guess not having that mindset of working on it and the build-up to it, it’s just not part of the thought process right now. I didn’t realize until I thought about it the other day that this would be it under the old scenario.”

The NCAA announced in February that the Football Championship Subdivision title game was moving to Frisco, Texas, after 13 years at Finley. Not only has the game changed locations, but it also has been pushed back three weeks to accommodate the extra round of games in the expanded playoffs.

This year’s game will be played on Jan. 7.

Eckstein, Finley Stadium’s executive director, said he’ll be watching tonight’s semifinal game between Eastern Washington and defending champion Villanova.

“Besides my role at the stadium, I also happen to be a huge [University of Tennessee at Chattanooga] Mocs fan,” Eckstein said, “and therefore, regardless of if the championship game is here or not, I’m still going to follow the playoffs.”

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/dec/17/tonight-all-quiet-finley/

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Kudos to John Frierson and the Times Free Press. The have had articles every week of the playoffs so far. Besides the article above, they also had a nice article previewing EWU/VU (and will have another article tomorrow for UD/GSU)

Eagles ‘all about’ red field

For much of this season, the Eastern Washington football team was probably better known for its garish red field than the quality of the Eagles’ play on it.

The new red Sprinturf surface at Roos Field in Cheney, Wash. — dubbed the “Inferno” — replaced the Eagles’ grass surface that tended to freeze late in the season. It’s attention-getting, which no doubt was the point, and created a lot of talk, both positive and negative, when EWU took the field for the first time in 2010.

“We’re all about it,” All-America linebacker J.C. Sherritt said. “We know some people aren’t too fond of it, but we don’t care. We love it and we love playing on it.”

Football purists might not like the color, but there’s been little to dislike about EWU’s play this season.

The Eagles (11-2) shared the Big Sky conference title with Montana State and were ranked No. 1 at the end of the regular season. They earned a No. 5 seed in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs and will host defending national champion Villanova (9-4) in a semifinal tonight.

The winner will face Saturday’s survivor between Georgia Southern and Delaware in the Jan. 7 championship game in Frisco, Texas.

“We wanted to do something that gave us a home field, whether you call it an edge or just something that we could latch on to that was ours and different,” Eagles coach Beau Baldwin said. “Having a red field, if you’re not performing well, then it becomes kind of a gimmick.”

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/dec/17/eagles-all-about-red-field/

ngineer
December 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I thought the NCAA passed some regulation against 'colorized' fields several years ago due to complaints about Boise State's? I don't have a problem with it, so long as the home team can't wear a full uniform of the same color. To me, that would be unfair. I was glad to see EWU wearing predominantly black unis tonight.

BearIt
December 17th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I thought the NCAA passed some regulation against 'colorized' fields several years ago due to complaints about Boise State's? I don't have a problem with it, so long as the home team can't wear a full uniform of the same color. To me, that would be unfair. I was glad to see EWU wearing predominantly black unis tonight.

Does that mean we have to ban green uniforms too?

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Does that mean we have to ban green uniforms too?

Touche! Forget the field color and enjoy the quality of the teams playing upon it!