PDA

View Full Version : Pete Lembo is the leading candidate for Ball State HC job

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
According to footballscoop.com. That is all.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Sorry CANDIDATE

ngineer
December 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Okay, as expected, the 5 year itch for Pistol Pete. Possibly thinking he can't take the Phoenix any farther and he needs to parley his 'turnaround' of the program now before things get worse than this past year. However, Ball State seems to me like a real, real uphill project.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Okay, as expected, the 5 year itch for Pistol Pete. Possibly thinking he can't take the Phoenix any farther and he needs to parley his 'turnaround' of the program now before things get worse than this past year. However, Ball State seems to me like a real, real uphill project.

Ya Ball State is a terrible job. They lost to Gardner-Webb this year who also fired their coach. However if you can win there you will be a hot commodity. Their former coach Brady Hoke went to San Diego State, had success there, and is now one of the hottest coaches in the country.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Ya Ball State is a terrible job. They lost to Gardner-Webb this year who also fired their coach. However if you can win there you will be a hot commodity. Their former coach Brady Hoke went to San Diego State, had success there, and is now one of the hottest coaches in the country.It was Akron who lost to GWU, I'm almost positive they lost to Liberty though. Yeah, terrible job though, I agree. They had that one magical season a few years ago but have been silent since.

phoenixphanatic21
December 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hate this if it's true. Kinda came out of nowhere. Hate to see Lembo leave after rebuilding the program to where it is now. Best of luck to him at Ball State if the rumors are true.

The big question then becomes who takes over at Elon?

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
It was Akron who lost to GWU, I'm almost positive they lost to Liberty though. Yeah, terrible job though, I agree. They had that one magical season a few years ago but have been silent since.

Thanks, got my Big South over MAC games mixed up.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hate this if it's true. Kinda came out of nowhere. Hate to see Lembo leave after rebuilding the program to where it is now. Best of luck to him at Ball State if the rumors are true.

John Strollo (my former coach).

phoenixphanatic21
December 16th, 2010, 08:37 PM
John Strollo (my former coach).

A. That'd be awesome.
B. You played for Strollo? No way.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
A. That'd be awesome.
B. You played for Strollo? No way.

Yes, for two years at Lafayette College. I doubt he would be considered for the HC position, but he is good dude and a true student of the game.

PhoenixMan
December 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I'm not surprised. And, I don't hate it so bad. They did improve during his tenure. A lot of that had to with having Hudgins (who was NOT recruited by Lembo) and Riddle. I think the conduct of the players on the field (personal fouls, etc.) was unacceptable and embarassing at times. Elon had success with two NAIA national championships and other good years before he arrived, they can have it again. Just please....DO NOT hire some option coach, I don't think we can recruit the hogs up front to make that go.

phoenixphanatic21
December 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just please....DO NOT hire some option coach, I don't think we can recruit the hogs up front to make that go.

Agreed. I'd love to see us stick with the spread offense we have now if possible. Or at least some variation of it.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Maybe Jerry Tolley will come out of retirement - he had great teams in late 70s and the National Championship teams in the early 80s ----

CFBfan
December 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
According to footballscoop.com. That is all.

Too bad he isn't coming back to his "old stomping grounds" Georgetown....nothing but upside there!!!

phan
December 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Elon has made it official that Lembo has resigned and taken the head coach job at Ball state. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

ngineer
December 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Elon has made it official that Lembo has resigned and taken the head coach job at Ball state. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Talk about a leap of faith on Lembo's behalf. I guess he felt the had to make a move now, but Ball State is a real 'project'. Lehigh's former basketball coach, Billy Taylor, took the Ball State job a couple years ago. I wonder if his view of things there may have had any impact. He and Lembo were contemporaries at Lehigh and may have struck up enough of a relationship that Taylor would have had some insight for Pete in terms of the school's administration.

phan
December 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
It seems as if there was some sort of Lehigh connection there and it's possible Taylor was it. I guess time will tell if it was a good move or not.

ngineer
December 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I wonder if Kevin Higgins would be interested in the Elon job. Seems to me he's been hamstrung at The Citadel in is ability to recruit what he is more comfortable with--a more wide open, pro-style offense, which he and Lembo ran to near perfection at Lehigh. Higgins went on to the Detroit Lions, and Lembo went to Elon and used an offense that put up some decent numbers. Seems the type of offense Lembo ran at Elon was not much different than what he and Higgins ran at Lehigh. Just a thought...

PhoenixMan
December 20th, 2010, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=ngineer;1602890] Higgins went on to the Detroit Lions, and Lembo went to Elon and used an offense that put up some decent numbers. QUOTE]

As and Elon fan, I am of course interested in who the candidates will be. I just hope they take their time in making a decision. I would say the offensive numbers were a little better than decent...ending up with the all time leading receiver in ALL of college football history, a QB with the record for most completions in FCS history and the most TD passes, passing yds, completions, in SoCon history. If Lembo can recruit the guys to get it done, and get an OC that he works well with, Ball St. will be better for it.

Skjellyfetti
December 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
the all time leading receiver in ALL of college football history

not true.

Scott Pingel, Westminster (MO), 6,108 (1996-1999)

PhoenixMan
December 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
not true.

Scott Pingel, Westminster (MO), 6,108 (1996-1999)

Pingel has the record for receiving yards (Westminster, DIII). My post says "leading receiver", meaning most receptions...which is, without a doubt, Terrell Hudgins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records_(individual)

Skjellyfetti
December 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Pingel has the record for receiving yards (Westminster, DIII). My post says "leading receiver", meaning most receptions...which is, without a doubt, Terrell Hudgins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records_(individual)

LOL

That is without a doubt NOT TRUE.

The answer is.... once again... Scott Pingel...

Most Passes Caught Career:
436, Scott Pingel, Westminster (MO), 1996-1999
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/D2/2008/Division%20III.pdf
(page 60)

Terrell Hudgins- 395 career receptions

Once again. You are wrong. xlolx

Keep trying, though. This is fun. (and about as futile as Elon trying to beat App in football).

Might I suggest not trusting wikipedia as a source? That should help you out some.

carney2
December 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I wonder if Kevin Higgins would be interested in the Elon job. Seems to me he's been hamstrung at The Citadel in is ability to recruit what he is more comfortable with--a more wide open, pro-style offense, which he and Lembo ran to near perfection at Lehigh. Higgins went on to the Detroit Lions, and Lembo went to Elon and used an offense that put up some decent numbers. Seems the type of offense Lembo ran at Elon was not much different than what he and Higgins ran at Lehigh. Just a thought...

Let's see - Higgins went up (NFL), then down (SoCon). After spending 10 years doing little to move his career forward, it is now suggested that he take a lateral move to replace one of his former assistants, in fact the one who replaced him when he moved "up." What are the chances?

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Too bad he isn't coming back to his "old stomping grounds" Georgetown....nothing but upside there!!!

Upside, as in potential.

CFBfan
December 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Upside, as in potential.

yes plus no place to go but up (I hope)!

CFBfan
December 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Upside, as in potential.

the only place "lower" than where Kelly has taken the program is gone as in no longer exists

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Let's see - Higgins went up (NFL), then down (SoCon). After spending 10 years doing little to move his career forward, it is now suggested that he take a lateral move to replace one of his former assistants, in fact the one who replaced him when he moved "up." What are the chances?

Also worthy of mention is that Higgins saw two of his assistants go to FBS jobs in the MAC (Clawson, Lembo),two others win championships in the Patriot League (Gilmore, Coen) and his former assistant TWICE (Dave Cecchini) go to Lehigh and help the Hawks turn things around. It seems right to think - if you're Elon - that Higgins would be a fine hire.

Also, is that a lateral move, really? Higgins' triple-option Bulldogs who haven't been a national player in decades vs. a team that has been a strong contender in the SoCon now for three years?

hawkineer
December 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Stunning development. Pete Lembo is a head coach at an FBS school. Pete Lembo's star keeps shining brighter and Kevin Higgins's head coaching career is fizzling out. Who would have thunk it? Kevin will always be loved on South Mountain. Despite his W/Ls, Pete not so much. Just shocking.
PS: Given Pete's inability to beat the Leopards, Lafayette's AD should be calling Ball State AD to get that FBS game. xlolx

Wildcat80
December 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I knew nothing about Lembo but his record at Lehigh---which was pretty good. Must be a guy interested in moving up--- which I applaud.

ngineer
December 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I knew nothing about Lembo but his record at Lehigh---which was pretty good. Must be a guy interested in moving up--- which I applaud.

No question Lembo is a guy "on the move." You could see it at Lehigh and he jumped at the first good opportunity to 'move up' to a scholarship environment and a 'down' program. Now, off again to do another reclamation project. No lose situations. The football landscape is full of guys who are looking to move up the ladder all the time. Looking at their resumes in media guides makes one head spin as to all the places people have been. For those married with kids, it takes a special spouse to buy in to the nomadic life. Assuming Lembo brings Ball State a few winning seasons within the next 4-5 years, he'll be gone to some place "bigger". It's all what you want, but to me it would cause me to think "who is the #1 that he's looking out for?"

Then, there are those looking for stability and building up a program that is 'theirs' to nurture until they are ready to retire, or hang on until forced out. Tavani at Lafayette is a good example and should be in decent shape until retirement. Higgins says he would have stayed at Lehigh, but for the 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to go to the NFL. We know how that turned out, so he's at The Citadel and attempting to deal with a difficult situation. Many of the longtermers are found at D-II and D-III programs who enjoy coaching 'real' college football without the insane pressures of winning and placating alumni.

ThompsonThe
December 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Believe you have the same thing regardless of the "insane pressures of winning and placating alumni" anywhere, except at some less pressure and or less alums.

SoCon48
December 26th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Everyone time I think of Lembo, I see him making a fool of himself chasing the referee all the way to the endzone at the half of the ASU game. Class.

whoanellie
December 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
another lame comment from a frustrated 'neer sighted fan. trying to throw a cheap shot to a 10 yr FCS /40 year old head coach that just secured a 7 figure contract for his family. pretty much shows your class as 3rd.
Everyone time I think of Lembo, I see him making a fool of himself chasing the referee all the way to the endzone at the half of the ASU game. Class.

phoenix3
December 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
another lame comment from a frustrated 'neer sighted fan. trying to throw a cheap shot to a 10 yr FCS /40 year old head coach that just secured a 7 figure contract for his family. pretty much shows your class as 3rd.

+1

ElonPride
December 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM

+1