PDA

View Full Version : Great Article About HBCU football

SU Jag
February 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM
http://media.blackamericaweb.com/images/photos/DSC_0056.JPG"Ain't No Party" Like an HBCU Football Classic
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2005
By: Jane Foote, Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

Are you ready for some football?

Or are you ready for body bumping cheerleaders, ribs at the tailgate party and an eye-popping halftime show exploding with funk? If you are, you’re ready for a Classic.

Classic football is more than just a football game. It’s rich historical rivalries among Historically Black Colleges and Universities, wrapped in a weekend of spectacle: battles of the bands, step shows, celebrities, even golf outings, job fairs and comedy shows. Sequin studded outfits, gold and silver lame, feathers, and tight knits are not only draped around the energetic half-time performers, but can be seen on spectators promenading all weekend.

Emotions run high between football rivalries, such as Southern University and Grambling State, Alabama State and Alabama A&M, and Alcorn and Jackson State. Stadiums rock with the driving percussions of the colorful high-stepping, high-energy bands. Cheerleaders and dancers flashing Spandex and flesh, take center stage, grooving, grinding and shaking their abundant, uh, pom poms.

Some of the most famous matchups, such as the Bayou Classic, are decades old. But because hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars are made, both by the colleges, the host cities and promoters, newer ones abound, such as the second annual Detroit football Classic at the new Ford Field in Detroit.

One of the most famous of all Classics is the 31-year-old Bayou Classic, which not only is nationally televised but has attracted celebrities such as former Miss America Erika Harold and actor Nick Cannon, who portrayed a drummer in a fictitious HBCU band in the movie “Drumline”. Remember the gyrations and glitz, the fancy stepping of the “Drumline” bands, and the furious competition? It’s all based on real life.

At the Bayou, busloads of fans and alumni will descend on New Orleans at Thanksgiving time, bragging and strutting with the “Human Jukebox” of Southern University and the “Marching Tigers” of Grambling State in the annual “Battle of the Bands”. Fraternities and sororities put on slick step shows. And there’s even a job fair.

At another classic last year, the two rival schools were each guaranteed $375,000 and fans were treated to a Neville Brothers concert, a vendor marketplace selling jewelry, African art and clothes and a Greek step show. There was also a traditional Battle of the Bands. And don’t show up in last year’s rags. The weekend is a continual fashion show of the latest and outrageous styles that black folks can squeeze into.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Represent! Represent! Shout out to your school, line brothers and sisters and alumni!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest classics, ranked by football attendance, include the Magic City Classic in Birmingham, AL, showcasing Alabama A&M against Alabama State University. This, the fourth largest Classic, has “lots of black folk and lots of Black history,” according to Black America Travel.

The Bayou Classic is third, which is “just like during Mardi Gras, if you are looking to drink,” the travel company said. Second is the Atlantic Classic between Florida A&M and Tennessee State University. “This has become Atlanta’s premiere urban event since the loss of Freaknic in the 90s”

And the top drawing Classic with attendance at more than 73,000 in a game pitting Bethune-Cookman College against Florida A&M is the Florida Classic in Orlando. It was described as having “non-stop activities for all ages, from the numerous theme parks to the overabundance of shopping malls, to the multitude of nightclubs.”

These classics are more than just a game. So pack the Pepto Bismol and leave the Spandex at home.

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I really need to get over to the Bayou Classic...

So, there is none of the tailgating that entire week or is there some tailgating to be found with this event?

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I really need to get over to the Bayou Classic...

So, there is none of the tailgating that entire week or is there some tailgating to be found with this event?
No tailgating at the Bayou Classic. No space. But there is no party like the Bayou Classic. People are literally in the streets until the sun comes up. Its just like Mardi Gras. If you want to experience something come to SU vs Jackson State in Jackson, SU vs Alcorn in Lorman, or any SU home game especially homecoming.

SU Jag
February 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM
The only way to describe the Bayou Classic is Mardi Gras. Its partying everywhere in the City of New Orleans. Its a HUGE event. Because of the way New Orleans is set up, the no tailgating isnt that really that big of an issue.
http://www.statefarmbayouclassic.com/images/bayou2004_2894.jpg

Hansel
February 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
The only way to describe the Bayou Classic is Mardi Gras. Its partying everywhere in the City of New Orleans. Its a HUGE event. Because of the way New Orleans is set up, the no tailgating isnt that really that big of an issue.
http://www.statefarmbayouclassic.com/images/bayou2004_2894.jpg
You gotta love cities where you can walk around with a Hurricane in your hand :nod:

jmuroller
February 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Where is the Bayou classic this year? Hopefully they can get it in New Orleans.

February 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
...the Atlantic Classic between Florida A&M and Tennessee State University. “This has become Atlanta’s premiere urban event since the loss of Freaknic in the 90s”...Is this really true? What about the Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Thrashers etc.?

SU Jag
February 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM
The Bayou will back in New Orleans this year!:hurray: As far as the Atlanta Football Classic, it is the biggest URBAN event in Atlanta. The Atlanta Football Classic is an event in Atlanta. Classic weekend in Atlanta is off the chains! The whole city is booming that weekend. You dont get that sense of excitement with the other sporting events in Atlanta.

February 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The Bayou will back in New Orleans this year!:hurray: As far as the Atlanta Football Classic, it is the biggest URBAN event in Atlanta. The Atlanta Football Classic is an event in Atlanta. Classic weekend in Atlanta is off the chains! The whole city is booming that weekend. You dont get that sense of excitement with the other sporting events in Atlanta.What? The Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Thrashers etc. don't play in the city? Urban = City, right?

walliver
February 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Urban = City, right?

"Urban", as in "Urban League" is often used as a synonym for "African-American". Don't ask me why, I don't know.

The Falcons, Thrashers, etc appeal to a more general audience.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Ralph knew that, he was going off the universal term as it would relate to those franchises being located in Atlanta and not in the suburban areas. It's just a way to set up the original poster.

Catmendue2
February 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Ralph knew that, he was going off the universal term as it would relate to those franchises being located in Atlanta and not in the suburban areas. It's just a way to set up the original poster.

Thank you.

February 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I remember a thread about the term urban=African American... People got real indignant and racial about that. I wasn't sure if that's what the travel agency meant.

February 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Ralph knew that, he was going off the universal term as it would relate to those franchises being located in Atlanta and not in the suburban areas. It's just a way to set up the original poster.Not true. The poster didn't say that, a quote in the article did.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Not true. The poster didn't say that, a quote in the article did.

OK. Point Taken.

SU Jag
February 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I'm shocked that their wasnt more about the Southern Heritage Classic or the oldest HBCU Classic the Turkey Day Classic in the article. I dont think that those two were even mentioned.

bigbluetiger
February 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
The Southern Heritage is underrated because both teams have been down. Turkey Day doesn't get much pub out of Alabama.

SU Jag
February 20th, 2006, 10:08 PM
The Southern Heritage is underrated because both teams have been down. Turkey Day doesn't get much pub out of Alabama.

I think that the Southern Heritage Classic is one of the most underrated "Classic" games.:nod:

jstate83
February 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM
I think that the Southern Heritage Classic is one of the most underrated "Classic" games.:nod:

Yep................Both teams could not punch their way out a wet bag the last couple of years,(Fill in your schools reason here___________), but the attendance is still around 40,000+.

BTW: Ya'll know that idiot James Bell got another head coaching job at TAYLOR University. They were 0-10 last year. They just don't know HOW GOOD they had it.

February 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, ralph. Urban means city. Those teams play in the city of Atlanta, but they do not command ANY of the excitement that the Atlanta Classic does. The only event that does is the NASCAR race in ATlanta, but that is a suburban event, because it takes place in Hampton, GA, outside of Atlanta.Thanks. I read the Falcon's attendance:
Atlanta Falcons 2004, 8 home games, 70,603 average, and wondered why it was not considered the premiere urban event. Do Falcon games lack excitement and why does this person refer to Freaknic?

SU Jag
February 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks. I read the Falcon's attendance:
Atlanta Falcons 2004, 8 home games, 70,603 average, and wondered why it was not considered the premiere urban event. Do Falcon games lack excitement and why does this person refer to Freaknic?

Freaknic use to be THE event in Atlanta! The whole weekend was just booming. Everyone went to Atlanta for Freaknic, everyone, from college students all over the south, to young people who had jobs, to rappers and movie stars, pro athletes you name it they were in Atlanta for that weekend! Atlanta hasnt had anything since except the Atlanta Football Classic to even get in the same company as Freaknic.

February 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Freaknic use to be THE event in Atlanta! The whole weekend was just booming. Everyone went to Atlanta for Freaknic, everyone, from college students all over the south, to young people who had jobs, to rappers and movie stars, pro athletes you name it they were in Atlanta for that weekend! Atlanta hasnt had anything since except the Atlanta Football Classic to even get in the same company as Freaknic.I know about Freaknic as a "black" Spring Break event that was crazy.

SU Jag
February 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I know about Freaknic as a "black" Spring Break event that was crazy.

Yep, that was it! And nothing else that Atlanta has has could even compare to the economic boost that this event had!:nod:

bobcatfan06
February 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
From a jouanalistic point of view, that is a badly written article. JMHO.

SU Jag
February 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

Why is that?

Panther88
February 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM

Put it out there bobcatfan06. Just don't say it. Some of us are curious (speaking for self). Thx.

SU Jag
February 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
Put it out there bobcatfan06. Just don't say it. Some of us are curious (speaking for self). Thx.

Word!xcoffeex

Big Dawg
February 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
More than just a game...(can someone resize these bad boys)
http://www.capitaloutlook.com/FL%20Classic%20Web/image/March%20100.JPG
http://www.capitaloutlook.com/FL%20Classic%20Web/image/Marching%20Bethune%2014K.JPG

bobcatfan06
February 26th, 2006, 03:47 AM
There is waaaaaay too much description and not enough information. I'm not saying it is a bad article, just from a journalistic perspective. It was probably in an Opinion section or something. No harm intended.

JohnStOnge
February 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM
The Bayou will back in New Orleans this year!:hurray: As far as the Atlanta Football Classic, it is the biggest URBAN event in Atlanta. The Atlanta Football Classic is an event in Atlanta. Classic weekend in Atlanta is off the chains! The whole city is booming that weekend. You dont get that sense of excitement with the other sporting events in Atlanta.

I realize it's a different sort of thing, but in terms of sense of excitement, it's hard to believe it creates more of a sense of excitement than the SEC championship game does. That's a very intense atmosphere

89rabbit
February 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM
No tailgating at the Bayou Classic. No space. But there is no party like the Bayou Classic. People are literally in the streets until the sun comes up. Its just like Mardi Gras. If you want to experience something come to SU vs Jackson State in Jackson, SU vs Alcorn in Lorman, or any SU home game especially homecoming.

I have to agree, one of my best football days ever was in Baton Rouge, Mississippi St. vs LSU in the morning and early afternoon, SDSU vs SU in the late afternoon and evening, all the Southern fans were great. I highly recommend tailgating with the Jags! :beerchug:

SU Jag
February 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have to agree, one of my best football days ever was in Baton Rouge, Mississippi St. vs LSU in the morning and early afternoon, SDSU vs SU in the late afternoon and evening, all the Southern fans were great. I highly recommend tailgating with the Jags! :beerchug:

AW Shuks!xsmoochx

HIU 93
February 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I realize it's a different sort of thing, but in terms of sense of excitement, it's hard to believe it creates more of a sense of excitement than the SEC championship game does. That's a very intense atmosphere

The SEC championship doesn't consume the city for the entire weekend like the Atlanta Football classic does.

henfan
February 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
More than just a game...(can someone resize these bad boys)

Big Dawg, why would you want to resize those photos, especially the second one?! Looks fine to me.:hurray:

Cap'n Cat
February 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM
AW Shuks!xsmoochx

Jag,
What's the date of the Jackson State game? Plannin' on bein' there.

SU Jag
February 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I think its the first week in October, but I'm not sure! I'll look around and post it when I find it.

February 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
2006 SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sep. 2 NICHOLLS STATE BATON ROUGE, LA
Sep. 9 MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ST. BATON ROUGE, LA
Sep. 16 at Prairie View A&M Houston, TX
Sep. 23 # vs. Virginia State San Francisco, CA
Sep. 30 ALABAMA STATE BATON ROUGE, LA
Oct. 7 at Alabama A&M Huntsville, AL
Oct. 14 at Jackson State Jackson, MS
Oct. 21 at Alcorn State Lorman, MS
Oct. 28 Open
Nov. 4 TEXAS SOUTHERN BATON ROUGE, LA
Nov. 11 ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF BATON ROUGE, LA
Nov. 18 Open
NOV. 25 VS. GRAMBLING STATE TBA

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75499

SU Jag
February 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM
2006 SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sep. 2 NICHOLLS STATE BATON ROUGE, LA
Sep. 9 MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ST. BATON ROUGE, LA
Sep. 16 at Prairie View A&M Houston, TX
Sep. 23 # vs. Virginia State San Francisco, CA
Sep. 30 ALABAMA STATE BATON ROUGE, LA
Oct. 7 at Alabama A&M Huntsville, AL
Oct. 14 at Jackson State Jackson, MS
Oct. 21 at Alcorn State Lorman, MS
Oct. 28 Open
Nov. 4 TEXAS SOUTHERN BATON ROUGE, LA
Nov. 11 ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF BATON ROUGE, LA
Nov. 18 Open
NOV. 25 VS. GRAMBLING STATE TBA

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75499

Thanks Ralph!

SU Jag
February 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM
The schedule has been revised since this one came out. We no longer play Virginia State or Nicholls State. We open the season in Jacksonville,Fl against Bethune-Cookman.

February 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Oops, I posted that and forgot about the "Southern schedule gets big adjustments" article I ran in my log:
http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060210025036336

I think 9/2 and 9/23 are the only dates affected and the 9/23 date/location change hasn't been announced yet.

mikebigg
February 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Jag,
What's the date of the Jackson State game? Plannin' on bein' there.

Two middle of the road teams... neither had a winning record last year. Opps...the smack board is over there! My Bad!!!!!

February 28th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Two middle of the road teams... neither had a winning record last year. Opps...the smack board is over there! My Bad!!!!!oooooooooooooooo... your bad indeed! Don't go there... :)

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Two middle of the road teams... neither had a winning record last year. Opps...the smack board is over there! My Bad!!!!!
Stop hating. No swac game will match the atmosphere of SU vs JSU and you know it.

SU Jag
March 1st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Stop hating. No swac game will match the atmosphere of SU vs JSU and you know it.

Now that man knows what he's talking about!:nod:

Mod11
March 2nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
This thread has run it's course.